MERRY CHRISTMAS!

It’s Christmastime again and the cold weather has us cocooning so far this week. Boxing Day will find the ladies out in the crowds but the men will PVR the WJ game and watch it before going online. Today, its about presents and my Grandpa’s pancakes and Jo-Anne’s amazing turkey dinner (the REAL reason I married her) and calls from and to Medicine Hat and maybe Texas if we can find the phone number.

Our family is changing so quickly these days I find it difficult to keep track of things. My son is working toward Vancouver Film School with some upgrading, art classes and throwing money in the bank, and he’s also found the time to make some pretty cool games. I have no idea where he’s heading, but the young man brings a lot of passion to his work and I hope he follows his dream. He’s a funny kid, I still think he could have done well in radio (the old man’s profession) but that’s not his dream. I always encouraged my kids to pursue the things they loved with passion, and he’s done exactly that and I’m proud of him. I can still hear my Father’s voice saying “what’s his backup plan?” and that’s something Dad is working on these days. I think I’m driving him crazy.

My daughter threw me for a loop this year, moving from what we all call ‘classic rock’ to the song stylings of Harry Somebody and his band One Direction. She keeps apologizing, and I keep telling her it’s the most normal thing she’s ever done and I’m happy she’s no longer staring at a 1962 photo of Mick and Keith all day. So, next summer, instead of driving out to Renton, Washington to say hello to the memory of Jimi Hendrix, my little girl will be flying to Seattle to see Harry What’s his name (who is apparently dating Taylor Swift from what I’m hearing from Chelsea–she’s not a fan, doesn’t think she’s a fit for Harold) and One Direction. Thank God. I never had a sister, so am having a bit of a time adjusting to her growing up on me. When my daughter is informing me about how things are in the world, I still see the little 4-year old on tippy-toes trying to get a better look at her birthday cake. THAT drives her crazy, I’m going to have to do a better job of camouflaging things from here on out.

Jo-Anne and I have spent the year working on the usual day to day items–its funny how quickly time slips when you are busy–but we can see a day when we have the house to ourselves. I don’t think either of us are looking forward to it, but she’s good company and easy on the eyes so I’m getting the better end of the deal. Either way, we have the munchkins for at least a year more and that’s fine all around. They’re pretty much grown up, but they’re still my kids, you know?

It’s about 20 after now, and I’m rambling. Sorry about that. These Christmas morning greetings are usually a lot shorter. I think the problem is I don’t have any work benches to put together, no train sets to assemble, no kitchen to set up. The dog is upstairs sleeping, so is Mom. I’m going to have to make some kind of noise to get this party started.

I’ll leave you with the immortal words of One Direction, and suggest we all enjoy the “Little Things” about this special day. Family, being good to each other, that thing in turkey that will allow me to sleep through all the basketball today, and the Irish who invented the stuff you put into coffee to make it perfect.

God bless, Merry Christmas. All the best.

34 Responses to "MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

1. jonrmcleod says:

Merry Christmas to you as well! Thanks for all your work on this blog throughout 2012. And here’s hoping you have happier hockey stories to write about in the New Year!

You too, Jon. I enjoy your writing and comments, best to you and yours this year.

3. dessert1111 says:

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas LT and everyone else around these parts…hope the new year brings you lots of health, happiness and of course hockey ;)

4. Zack says:

Merry Christmas LT, you sound like a pretty good dad! I look forward to these Christmas posts now, its a very nice personal touch,

Zack

5. loosemoose says:

Merry Christmas.

All the best to you and yours.

6. flyfish1168 says:

Hi Lowtide

I see you mention Medicine Hat. Are you from there?? I grew up there and went to MHHS grad 82.
    Best wishes for you and your family

7. Radman says:

A sure sign the earth has shifted on axis, my wife and I are up before the kids. Forgot to wrap a present andhad to help Santa eat all those cookies. Looking forward to the thunder coming down the stairs. As transient as summer.
    Merry Christmas indeed. Much happiness in 2013.
    Drop the puck already

flyfish1168:
    Hi Lowtide

Best wishes for you and your family

My wife is from there. Graduated McCoy ’76. Her entire family is from there, most are still in MH. Best wishes to you too!

Radman:
    A sure sign the earth has shifted on axis, my wife and I are up before the kids. Forgot to wrap a present andhad tohelp Santa eat all those cookies. Looking forward to the thunder coming down the stairs. As transient as summer.
    Merry Christmas indeed. Much happiness in 2013.
    Drop the puck already

Merry Christmas LT.

You are a fine writer and an even better person.

Best wishes for you and your family.

Great to hear your son is doing what he loves.

If you love your job, you’ll never work a day in your life.

11. bookje says:

Merry Christmas LT and everyone else! Between the lockout, the kids (1 and 4 years old) and a major project I have been undertaking, I haven’t been around here much lately. I hope everyone has a peaceful and enjoyable Christmas Day!

12. VOR says:

LT,

I can’t begin to tell you the amount of pleasure you and your blog has brought me over the years. It is the non-hockey posts that I have come to treasure the most. On which note, the empty nest is followed by the joy of having everybody home for Christmas. The thing is, my wife Janet married me (I’m sure) for my Christmas dinner. So I’d better run off and finish the tortiere. Merry Christmas.

WG: Right back at you, we’ll have to do lunch in the new year (and hopefully discuss Krueger’s early season line combinations).

Bookje: We’ve missed you! I hope you’ll be around more as we heard toward the draft.

btw, if you’re on twitter follow Ray Ferraro. He’s in UFA, his luggage is nowhere known to man, he’s in a hotel room that looks out on a large amount of tin and his tweets are hilarious!

14. jfry says:

Happy holidays everyone. Thanks for all the group thinking and laughing.

15. spoiler says:

So let me get this straight…. Jenga, Angry Birds and Star Wars go together in one game?

I’m too old for this stuff.

16. hags9k says:

Merry Christmas to you LT, and to all the fans of this great site. Stay warm and stay safe.

17. Jesse says:

Thanks for this post LT, it was a real nice look ahead into what might be down the road for me and mine. My wife and I have been married for two years and have got a 7 month old boy who got absolutely spoiled this morning on his first Christmas . I the he liked ripping at the paper better than the presents.

Always a real joy to read your stuff. Thank you for all that you contribute to the fan base.

Merry Christmas.

18. Mr DeBakey says:

Merry Christmas, Sir

And to all the commenters too

There used to be this sport.
    Our team was bad at it.
    We’d all watch.
    We’d all complain.
    We’d write funny comments about how terrible they were.
    Then watch again next time.
    Maybe we’ll all do that again some day.

The days are getting longer, wooo-hooo

19. rickithebear says:

spoiler:

I’m too old for this stuff.

My boys are arguing over the death star game right now!

Time to build the Knex WII Mario Cart race track set.

20. JohnnyRocket says:

One Direction? I teach junior high, so I am well acquainted. Have a great day everyone! Here’s to family and food and a buzz on all day. And the young men playing tomorrow!

21. vishcosity says:

Last night we needed salsa so the lady went to the Circle K. I stayed at the house here in Phoenix. Turns out that Mark Messier himself was there being very busy getting coffee for his mother. After carrying her cup to the car, he opened the door, helped her in, then went around the car and drove her home.

If our kids still help us with coffee on Christmas eve, then probably its because we encouraged them to go to film school rather than focusing on dad’s back up plan. Good on ya. Hope you can look through the lyrics of your girl’s new album.

22. OilLeak says:

Merry Christmas LT and all those who frequent this blog that make it so entertaining. Thank you LT for consistently giving us great content to absorb day in and day out.

Have a great Christmas!

23. Gerta Rauss says:

Merry Christmas LT ,and to all the regular posters around these parts.

20 cm of snow on the ground in Squamish this year-it’s cut into my golf game and I was cursing up a storm shovelling the driveway the other day but a white Christmas around these parts is a welcome sight.

Best wishes to everyone and pray for NHL hockey in 2013

24. Kris11 says:

Merry Fishmas!

25. Radman says:

Lowetide: Amen to that! Maybe there’s something in the air this year, my wife and I were on our second Bailey’s and coffee before the kids got there. At our house, everyone is happy with their gifts, I believe the one that was received best came when the dog found the pizzle!

Got a pair of “Christmas Story” pajama pants, complete with the words Fragile and It’s a Major Award. Que the envy, boys!

26. EricRodgers_AHLBarons says:

Merry Christmas LT! I’ll try to remember throwing the lines out with the Center first on Friday, just for you ;)

27. Professor Q says:

Merry Christmas everyone!

28. Professor Q says:

We get all (most of the large nucleus anyways, too many to fit!) of our family together on Boxing Day every year for our Christmas, good times to ring it in with a family viewing of the World Juniors!

EricRodgers_AHLBarons:

That would be VERY cool!

30. jfry says:

Wow. LT looking like a big deal with his long reaching hockey influence. Maybe soon Nelson will let you work on some line combos ;)

31. Rube Foster says:

Merry Christmas LT and the mass of humanity that makes up Lowetide Nation.
    It’s been a goofy year in our house so no posting for me in a long time, but not a week goes by without checking in.
    LT thanks for all you do, how is it that your Blog seems somehow better despite the lack of NHL hockey to watch? I guess that is the genius of LT and regulars to this site.
    I had to smile reading your Christmas message, My Daughter has gone kookoo for this One Direction, she’s taken down all the puppy posters from her room and plastered her bedroom walls with Harry and his mates. Unlike your daughter, my little girl has yet to appologize to me for her One Direction obsession:)
    Nothing quite like Christmas to hammer home just how quickly your kids grow up… I hope everyone has a chance to enjoy time well spent with family and friends today!

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Merry Christmas LT and all else!

Van. film school is a fine institution. My best friend went through there for acting over a decade ago… tough industry to make it into on the creative end… the technical side has more opportunities and the film school sets people up pretty well there.

strange industry though… demands a lot of glad-handing and party-mingling and so forth… and there are a lot of wankers.

at any rate, best of luck to your son!

I often wish I went into film restoration… but so it goes.

One Direction… hmmm… at least you can resign yourself to the fact that these kinds of bands will slip through the transom of your daughter’s mind without leaving much of a lasting impression… or so my rock sensibility/snobbery tells me.

only 8 hours until RHN vs. TR!!

GOILERS!

33. jp says:

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you’ve all had a great day!

34. Ribs says:

A little late but Merry Christmas, all!