OKC V HOUSTON 16.12.12

Photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved. Jordan Eberle belongs in a higher league. It is probably about time we began talking about single season records as they relate to Oilers farm clubs. Edmonton’s minor league clubs have enjoyed some outstanding offensive seasons, but the records of the past will be in danger if the NHL remains in stasis all winter long.

Here are the leading point totals for Oiler affiliates through the years.

1. 91-92 Shaun Van Allen 77gp, 29-84-113
  2. 80-81 Tom Roulston 69gp, 63-44-107
  3. 94-95 Peter White 65gp, 36-69-105
  4. 90-91 Shaun Van Allen 76gp, 25-75-100

Eberle is currently at 25, 19-18-37; I believe the AHL will play 76 games this season (minor leagues are constantly changing ). Should Eberle play all the games he would be extremely close to the Van Allen total at #1. Justin Schultz is going to break all of the Oiler point total records for their minor league defenseman, its only a matter of time.

I didn’t get to see last night’s game, but there were some incredible totals:

• Jordan Eberle: 4 goals and an assist, +2 and 4 shots on goal, is having an incredible season. At some point, we’re going to have to agree he’s a Joey Mullen-Mike Bossy shooter. I don’t think we’re there yet (Bill James always said three seasons was an established level of ability) but it looks like his rookie season may be the outlier. It was not–and is not–reasonable to assume Eberle is a 20% shooter, but there is growing evidence he is well above average in this area.
  • Mark Arcobello: 0-4-4 +3, Arcobello has taken Josh Green’s job as the veteran AHL guy who can play with the gifted kids, and his ability to play center is also a positive. I’m now convinced the Oilers should give him some NHL time.
  • Justin Schultz: 1-1-2 and I’ve run out of things to say about him.
  • Taylor Hall: 3 more shots last night and 18 in the last 4 games. He’s a special player.
  • Curtis Hamilton: gets an assist and a shot on goal. Good for him, keep it going young man.
  • Ryan Martindale: back in the lineup.
  • Magnus Paajarvi: an assist, plus 1, 2 sog. He needs to keep the crooked numbers coming but is beginning to surge a little.

Houston is a tough team, should be a good game. I’ll post lineups as soon as they are available, drop by  during the game and post your thoughts if you get a chance. One week to Festivus!

45 Responses to "OKC V HOUSTON 16.12.12"

1. dessert1111 says:

Glad to see you’re in support of Arcobello getting an NHL shot. I knew you’d come around eventually ;)

Well he’s facing an uphill battle and my bet is he ends up playing for another team, but this guy is keeping up and that’s a helluva thing.

3. wuthering says:

Too bad there is no “hockey IQ” metric; because if there was, it might help to put to rest the question of Eberle’s shooting % trajectory. I understand the predictive value of shooting % for average players, but this guy almost never wastes shots, and IMO it’s because of his elite hockey IQ. (If you believe there is no such thing as a wasted shot, see Cogliano, Andrew.)

Wuthering: We’d be miles ahead if the WHL collected shots on goal! This isn’t difficult, in fact they count shots in every building every game. Ridiculous.

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

#OKCBarons lines barring late scratches: Hamilton-Arcobello-Eberle; Hall-Lander-Paajarvi; Hartikainen-Green-Pitlick; Byers-Vandevelde-House

Pitlick gets a welcome push, I actually like that 3line alot. House hasn’t been in for awhile iirc and the top 2lines remain the same.

Scheduled scratches for #OKCBarons: Davidson, Plante, Ringwald, Tyrvainen, Martindale & Pelss. Chance for a game-time decision on 1 player

Plante is out today unless that game time decision is about him.

7. Wolfie says:

If we look at last night’s effort and break down Eberle’s goals, how often are they repeatable? I don’t think he’ll miss very often 1-on-1 and he seems to get a ton of this high percentage chances. Arcobello makes a nifty pass on two goals. I think Eberle gets a bounce on the one that trickles in and does a great job to get his stick on the puck while driving around the d-man on the other. Both plays could have resulted in no goals. I’m pretty sure he’s not going to miss an open cage.

Has anybody done a shot chart for Eberle? Where he’s taking his shots from will give a good indication whether or not his high % is likely to continue.

8. wuthering says:

Good point. Though when I watched him in junior he was exactly the same way he is now–just miles ahead in terms of his being able to capitalize on scoring chances. I think you are correct on his first season being the outlier, and maybe it is not wise to consider above 20% reasonable. Yet this kid doesn’t waste opportunities. He makes his shots count. My bet is he’s around 20% for his career, given what we’ve seen from junior to present.

9. Jesse says:

I wonder if Marcobello could end up into being a serviceable Todd Marchant type.

Defence parings for #OKCBarons: Deck & Schultz; Fedun & Teubert; Marincin & Henry

Marincin playing depth minutes. Good idea, get his confidence up. Deck came out of nowhere.

11. dessert1111 says:

By eye, he shoots a lot from right above the left-side face off circle area, and he also takes the puck to the net a lot, displaying his hands. Interesting considering he’s a right-winger.

LT: I am not a fan of preaching size, but if your top 3 centres are only as big as RNH, Gagner and Arcobello I can see how you might want more size. So I agree Arcobello will get traded if he forces the issue, unless Gagner is traded for a bigger 2C; then I could see Arcobello getting a shot with the Oilers. Small or not, good players are a good thing to have of course :)

12. jake70 says:

May sound silly, but I thought Eberle’s empty netter last night was pretty nice. On the far boards, in motion/speed and managed to place it nicely. Made it look easier than it probably was. Guy’s a scorer.

13. coolwasabi says:

Mark Arcobello kinda reminds me of Ryan Potulny.

Hall (Henry, Lander)

15. kinger says:

The radio is delayed and there is no video feed.

Sad.

16. Lucinius says:

Not watching (not seeing a link anywhere I check, unfortunately), but nice to see MPS get another point.

Actually pulls him within one of Harski.

17. Lucinius says:

Hmm, can’t seem to edit my comment.

Anyways, official AHL scoresheet shows Lander, not MPS with the second assist on the Hall goal.

Schultz (Hall, Arcobello)

I thought that Lander got the assist, but Jim Byers said “Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson”. :-)

20. sliderule says:

Eberle will have a shooting percentage like Mullen.

Paajarvi will have a shooting percentage of JFJ .

It is written.

21. Yakupov me says:

So, how long do we have to wait before we can talk about the shooting percentage of Shultz? I think his numbers more unreal than Eberle’s considering his position. Are his college numbers available?

22. voxwah says:

Eberle hit a post. Wtf, that’s gonna kill his shooting percentage.

23. delooper says:

He’d only hit the post if it was intentional, looking for the rebound. So it couldn’t have been a shot.

Granlund. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

25. voxwah says:

Granlund is pretty good. I’d even consider trading Magnus for him….

Maybe…

Nah.

Teubert looked silly there

Man, those three games in three nights stretches are a bugger. I wouldn’t bet 5 cents on the club getting a point in this one based on energy level.

28. Oilertown says:

LT what’s wrong with your comment section keeps saying warning missing argument and a bunch of other gibberish. Anyone else seeing this, quite annoying.

Oilertown: A few people have mentioned it, my apologies. Does anyone have any ideas? I haven’t seen this kind of thing before and it doesn’t happen for me.

Arcobello (Eberle, Hall)

31. Lucinius says:

Guess it was Hall’s turn for a good pts/game showing?

32. skidplate says:

Lucinius:

Actually pulls him within one of Harski.

I see it as well . The site is also very slow

Skidplate: Hadn’t heard that. Weird. Headed to OT, 3-3.

Marincin with a bad penalty in OT.

35. Rebilled says:

It does happen when you post as well LT. Your last comment did.

36. Rebilled says:

Then it goes away…

Rebilled: Except I don’t see it. It doesn’t come up on my screen.

38. Lucinius says:

Off hand I think its tied to editing. You get a five minute window to edit your posts. The gibberish vanishes about five minutes after each post.

39. jp says:

Wow, hard to believe they made it to the shootout. From the box score it looks like OKC has been dominated since the 1st period.

40. dessert1111 says:

LT, this is what it says before some people’s comments (apparently randomly, it shows up on some but not others):

Warning: Missing argument 2 for wpdb::prepare(), called in /home/content/91/8084091/html/blog/wp-content/plugins/wp-ajax-edit-comments/lib/class.core.php on line 470 and defined in /home/content/91/8084091/html/blog/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 990
    jp says:
    December 16, 2012 at 6:49 pm

As for the glitch thingy, Danny is either working on it or has fixed it. Thanks, Danny!

42. Oilertown says:

Don’t apologize not your fault just wondering if it was just me more then anything. Thanks for the updates and great work as usual.

It’s all cool.

44. OilLeak says:

Sounds like Arcobello keeps on rolling along. I hope someone gives the kid a shot in the show, he’s shown steady improvement every year and has a solid all around game. Give him a shot on the third line in Edmonton, what’s the worst thing that could happen?

45. delooper says:

Taylor Hall makes the top 20 points list.