OKC V SAN ANTONIO 15.12.12

Photo courtesy Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved. The Barons outshot the Ramage 17-8 in the first period last night and the joint was rocking from the rattle and hum of Hall, Schultz and Eberle. San Antonio will no doubt be a grumpy lot and will play a better first period tonight. For Todd Nelson–whose team will play three games in three days this weekend–splitting up Hall and Eberle meant some unusual names on the scoresheet. Anton Lander and Colten Teubert have not been scoring stars this season, so getting on the board last night must have felt pretty good.

I posted my guess about the Oilers and Oil Kings roster this morning, and a few comments (Jon K’s comments on NK’s health, especially) got me thinking about it. I wonder specifically if Magnus Paajarvi has done enough to push Lennart Petrell to OKC?

OILERS PROJECTED

• G: Devan Dubnyk, Nikolai Khabibulin
  • D: Ladislav Smid, Jeff Petry, Nick Schultz, Justin Schultz, Ryan Whitney, Corey Potter, Theo Peckham, Andy Sutton (ir)
  • C: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sam Gagner, Shawn Horcoff, Eric Belanger
  • L: Taylor Hall, Teemu Hartikainen, Ryan Smyth, Magnus Paajarvi, Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk
  • R: Ales Hemsky, Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Jones

I think coach Krueger’s pairs will be Nuge-Ebs, Gagner-Hall, Smyth-Jones, Horcoff-Yakupov with people sliding up and down as needed. I believe Hartikainen has shown enough and should get the call when the season resumes, but you could make a case for Paajarvi too. A new home for Ben Eager? Krueger won’t have any kind of training camp if there’s a season, but Paajarvi deserves the roster spot in my opinion.

The New Barons

• G: Yann Danis, Olivier Roy
  • D: Taylor Fedun, Colten Teubert, Martin Marincin, Alex Plante, Jordan Henry, Nathan Deck, Brandon Davidson, Teigan Zahn
  • C: Josh Green, Anton Lander, Chris VandeVelde, Ryan Martindale (ir), Tanner House, Eric Hunter
  • L: Lennart Petrell, Dane Byers, Curtis Hamilton, Kristians Pelss
  • R: Mark Arcobello, Phil Cornet, Tyler Pitlick, Antti Tyrvainen, Toni Rajala, Cameron Abney

In the comments below (Oilclog, JP and others) the idea of a flurry of signings came up, and that’s certainly possible. However, the 50-man list would require these players to be signed to AHL deals, and I don’t know how many good players will be available for AHL-only deals–and I don’t know if OKC will be attractive after all the gifted kids fly north. Could be a trying second half for coach Todd Nelson.

43 Responses to "OKC V SAN ANTONIO 15.12.12"

1. nelson88 says:

With Sutton on the IR and under the assumption both Hordichuk and Peckham are on the big roster I would rather see them keep Petrell and MPS up and send Eager down or trade him out of town. Particularly with a short season and both Petrell and MPS already playing they should be quicker out of the blocks.

They could insert enough toughness in the line up when need be and Eager is “toolsy” but also a tool. During his Oiler tenure he has done his best to show why he has been sent packing so often. As I posted a couple years back when they signed him and Barker there was also lots of chatter that neither was particularly good in the room or a role model for the kids. I would rather have Byers if they needed to call someone up someone with similar skills.

2. jp says:

I think based on merit Paajarvi should probably have a roster spot over Petrell (same could be said most of last year though too). Petrell isn’t tearing it up in Finland at the moment – after his hot goal scoring start he’s now settled into a tie for 9th in HIFK scoring and still doesn’t have an assist on the season (20-9-0-9). He’s also only played 20 of the teams 31 games – I wonder if there was/is an injury? There’s also the question of role though – I think having Petrell in Edmonton as a 13th forward and 4th liner/PK guy when he’s in the lineup is fine, but that’s not an ideal role for Paajarvi. I think he’d be better served by staying and playing lots in OKC until there’s a 10 min + a night spot in the Oilers lineup for him every night. All that aside, I agree that there’s a good chance he is on the Oilers roster when the lockout ends.

Re: “Kruger’s pairs” – do you really see Smyth-Jones as a pair? That would mean they play full time with Belanger, as all the other C’s have been paired off with others. I see Smyth-Horcoff-Jones again or Smyth-Horcoff-Yakupov as most likely, though Smyth-Belanger-Jones woudn’t be terrible either.

And on the 50 man limit – I don’t know if there’s an up to date list for the Oilers somewhere – I couldn’t find it. But by my calculations the Oil are at 46 players right now. Not sure if Sutton might also come off the list possibly (I don’t think long term injury is enough for him to not count against the 50, I believe he would have to retire to not count, though that’s a possibility). Anyway, unless I’ve made a mistake with the number of players (which is quite possible), the team isn’t right up against the limit and could easily sign 1 or 2 minor league vets without any 50 man limit trouble. As you point out, whether players will want to sign in OKC is another question, and I agree it might be a problem to attract guys there. In terms of a flurry of signings, I don’t see that happening. I’d love to see them go get 1 quality veteran F and 1 quality D, but don’t necessarily think it’s likely. Hopefully they get at least one or the other to help out OKC, but the D problems are there even with Schultz in town, if they were going to sign another D there’s no reason they wouldn’t have done it already…

Smyth and Jones were dynamite together a season ago,

and sure Horc would be a good addition to that line. I can see them using that group as a dedicated checking line, although “Jones” and “checking” is a stretch.

Reserve list is at 48

4. jp says:

Jones and Smyth sure do make a good pair. I’m just not sure I see them as 4th liners as they would pretty much have to be playing with Belanger (and because the other 3 pairs/lines listed are all equally/more deserving of ice time). If Kruger is really willing to run 4 relatively even lines (as OKC is doing this season) then it could definitely work. It would be great to see, I’m just skeptical we will see it.

Didn’t realize capgeek had the full reserve lists, thanks. But that 48 includes the slide rule eligible Klefbom and Musil, who are both very unlikely to join the Oilers this year (Klefbom definitely will not). Thus the number is actually 46, no?

5. Lucinius says:

Personally, I’d love to see MPS stapled to a line with Horcoff and Smyth for at least a season. Who better to groom him for that third line checking winger role with some ability to slide up the line-up on a game by game basis?

I’d throw Jones down onto the fourth line with Belanger and Harski, which also solidifies the top two lines as RNH-Eberle and Gagner-Hemsky pairs with Hall and Yak switching between the two to find the duo they work best with.

agreed.

7. jp says:

Lucinius,

Agreed here too. Those would be the lines I’d most like to see.

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

Tonight’s projected lines: Hamilton-Arcobello-Eberle, Hall-Lander-Paajarvi, Martindale-Green-Hartikainen, Byers-VandeVelde-House #OKCBarons

Pitlick must have sideburns.

D-pairs: Deck-Schultz, Marincin-Teubert, Plante-Henry; Roy in net; Scratches: Davidson, Ringwald, Pitlick, Tyrvainen, Cornet, Pelss, Fedun

I liked Deck’s game last night, pleased they kept him there. grenades a plenty on 2nd and 3rd pairings.

10. jp says:

Good to see J Schultz’s shot block appears not to have had any serious consequences.

Cam Barker released. Always good to get another opinion, but he looks like a guy on his way to Europe after the lockout. Man, that pick didn’t work out.

12. Lucinius says:

Nice to see Marincin draw back in (I’m a fan), but him with Tuebert could give more than a little of the wrong kind of excitement, but he does need to come out from the shadow of the Schultz effect so we can see a bit more about his overall game on this level.

Not a fan of Pitlick getting the turf, but.. meh. Outside of Harski I don’t recall thinking much of the guys on the third and fourth lines in a “saw him good” manner.

I think a lot of these plays will benefit if/when the lockout ends, though, with increased ice time, responsibility and the knowledge that you don’t have NHL whiz-kids on the team who might be able to carry the team if you have a bad night.

Nice to see Roy get another start.

13. oilersfan says:

not much comments on Craig Button’s list on the best 50 players not in the NHL. Ranking Schultz first seems fair enough but I take issue with all of Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and especially Morgan Rielly ahead of Yakupov. When Nail was getting a ppg in the KHL 6 weeks ago I suspect he would have been second. Doesn’t he get a break for having to travel from NA to Russian and back twice in 4 months? seems to me that would screw up anybody’s internal clock.

and on that note, I expect both Nail and RNH to struggle whenever it is the lockout ends.

I find just going to Toronto or New York really screws me up. I can’t imagine going to Russia and back what it would do to a person’s energy level for a few weeks.

14. delooper says:

I’ve tried taking the “No Jet Lag” pill on trips between north america, japan, australia and europe. It tends to work pretty well. I only had one bad experience with it, but I think that was the combination of dehydration, the long flight to Tokyo and all the alcohol I had on arrival. I recommend keeping hydrated.

15. wheatnoil says:

voxwah:
    This should be a good working link:

That link seems to get me to Scranton vs. Syracuse Crunch. Anyone else have that issue?

16. voxwah says:

wheatnoil,

Sorry about that Wheatnoil. That was the posted link for it but it has changed to a different game. Still looking for a working one now…

17. Rebilled says:

wheatnoil,

same goes, can’t find this game on ATDHE…

anyone….

18. Bruce McCurdy says:

AHL Live is down for the count in OKC, which is probably the same problem as the above link. The video crashed with 5 minutes left last night and apparently they’ve been unable to fix it today. The big screen in the arena went down at the same time.

The only thing major league about AHL Live is the price. @#$%^&* joke.

19. Lucinius says:

Couldn’t find a link myself.

So far it doesn’t look like we’re missing much. Losing 1-0 with shots 7-4 against.

20. Ben says:

Barons twitter says no video tonight. Must be a problem on-site.

Radio, bath, beer.

21. r3dm3n8c3 says:

Ya, no video tonight. bit of a let down.

22. wheatnoil says:

Arcobello! Sounds like from Schultz!

23. wheatnoil says:

Check that… Schultz from Arcobello

24. Lucinius says:

So far we have…

Schultz (Arcobello, Eberle) PP and Eberle (Hamilton, Arcobello) EV for a 2-1 lead, but are being out-shot 13-7.

25. Rebilled says:

Craig Button has figured out that the Oilers and JS are following the Grail Knight model:

“As the Grail Knight said in Indiana Jones and the last Crusade, ‘you must choose, but choose wisely,’ and it appears the Edmonton Oilers and Justin Schultz have followed that advice.”

Best ‘I watched Indiana Jones last night’ analogy of the year?

26. crude says:

I’z just reading the “in-game blog” over on the oilers official site. It said at:

” 9:09: As Coach Nelson tries some different line combinations coming off the power play, Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle see a shift together with Arcobello at centre.”

Maybe this recent line blending is just an attempt to avoid other coaches from hard matching. Once in a while, Nelson can throw and over-hand right and put out Hall and Ebs when it’s opportune?

Or I watch hockey while lifted too much.

27. Lucinius says:

Eberle (Deck, Arcobello), 3-2 lead. San Antonio got their second on a Plante penalty.

Interesting penalties from San Antonio.. Petrovic with an unsportsmanlike, Robak with a misconduct for abuse of officials, and Marincin for delay of game all at the same time.

28. wheatnoil says:

Lucinius,

Based on the radio call, it sounds like a San Antonio player made a blatant dive after bumping into an OKC player. The ref didn’t call a penalty on the play and right after Marincin flipped the puck into the crowd and got the delay of game penalty. During the stoppage of play (and the radio commercials) Petrovic and Robak lost their minds (I assume b/c they thought there should have been a penalty and that there was no dive) and got the additional penalties.

29. Lucinius says:

Eberle (Arcobello, Schultz) PP — gives Eberle the hat-trick and four points and Arcobello his fourth assist of the game, 4-2 lead.

30. Lucinius says:

wheatnoil,

Interesting. I’m not listening to it, just refreshing the box sheet occasionally.

Any idea how the Lander line is doing?

31. jp says:

He appears to be having a heck of a game though!

32. wheatnoil says:

Lucinius,

I’ve been stepping in and out, so I haven’t heard the whole game consistently. Hall sounds like he’s a force as usual and it sounds like he’s had a few good chances. I’d say I hear Lander’s name the least out of the three on that line. That said, without being able to watch the game itself, it’s not fair to say that Lander is having a poor game.

33. Lucinius says:

wheatnoil,

Ah, was hoping you’d been listening to it fairly closely. I keep hoping for the Swedes to have a break out game to get them rolling.

34. Lucinius says:

Eberle (Paajarvi, VandeVelde) EN, for the win and a 4 goal, 5 point night for Eberle. I think someone got tired of seeing Schultz at the top of the scoring race.

35. nelson88 says:

Glad we didn’t trade him due to a high shooting percentage. shakes head.

36. RexLibris says:

So this Eberle kid looks like a keeper.

btw, just glanced at the stats for top scorers and noticed that Eberle is keeping his penalty minutes down even in the AHL. He and Schultz are identical in points and PIMs.

Hall needs one point to pass Nugent-Hopkins in points.

I love this internal competition to drive to the top of the standings. It’d be nice if there were a few more participants from the OKC roster, but this is a treat to watch.

37. OilLeak says:

nelson88:
    Glad we didn’t trade him due to a high shooting percentage. shakes head.

So Eberle now has a 27.9 SH%! and Schultz at 18.3%! Craziness.

Bossy.

39. RexLibris says:

godot10,

So were do we find a Billy Smith?

40. Bruce McCurdy says:

jp: Eberle with 3 goals on 2 shots according to the box. Any chance his 150 shooting % is sustainable?

AHL site updates the scoring on the fy but indiviidual shots totals only get blended in at the end of each period. I’ve noticed it before, but never quite to the extreme of 3 goals on 2 shots. Sniper!

41. striatic says:

RexLibris:
    godot10,

So were do we find a Billy Smith?

put Smid in nets.