Photo courtesy Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved. The Barons outshot the Ramage 17-8 in the first period last night and the joint was rocking from the rattle and hum of Hall, Schultz and Eberle. San Antonio will no doubt be a grumpy lot and will play a better first period tonight. For Todd Nelson–whose team will play three games in three days this weekend–splitting up Hall and Eberle meant some unusual names on the scoresheet. Anton Lander and Colten Teubert have not been scoring stars this season, so getting on the board last night must have felt pretty good.
I posted my guess about the Oilers and Oil Kings roster this morning, and a few comments (Jon K’s comments on NK’s health, especially) got me thinking about it. I wonder specifically if Magnus Paajarvi has done enough to push Lennart Petrell to OKC?
- G: Devan Dubnyk, Nikolai Khabibulin
- D: Ladislav Smid, Jeff Petry, Nick Schultz, Justin Schultz, Ryan Whitney, Corey Potter, Theo Peckham, Andy Sutton (ir)
- C: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sam Gagner, Shawn Horcoff, Eric Belanger
- L: Taylor Hall, Teemu Hartikainen, Ryan Smyth, Magnus Paajarvi, Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk
- R: Ales Hemsky, Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Jones
I think coach Krueger’s pairs will be Nuge-Ebs, Gagner-Hall, Smyth-Jones, Horcoff-Yakupov with people sliding up and down as needed. I believe Hartikainen has shown enough and should get the call when the season resumes, but you could make a case for Paajarvi too. A new home for Ben Eager? Krueger won’t have any kind of training camp if there’s a season, but Paajarvi deserves the roster spot in my opinion.
The New Barons
- G: Yann Danis, Olivier Roy
- D: Taylor Fedun, Colten Teubert, Martin Marincin, Alex Plante, Jordan Henry, Nathan Deck, Brandon Davidson, Teigan Zahn
- C: Josh Green, Anton Lander, Chris VandeVelde, Ryan Martindale (ir), Tanner House, Eric Hunter
- L: Lennart Petrell, Dane Byers, Curtis Hamilton, Kristians Pelss
- R: Mark Arcobello, Phil Cornet, Tyler Pitlick, Antti Tyrvainen, Toni Rajala, Cameron Abney
In the comments below (Oilclog, JP and others) the idea of a flurry of signings came up, and that’s certainly possible. However, the 50-man list would require these players to be signed to AHL deals, and I don’t know how many good players will be available for AHL-only deals–and I don’t know if OKC will be attractive after all the gifted kids fly north. Could be a trying second half for coach Todd Nelson.