I don’t know that the glory Barons are ever going to outscore the mistakes, but these young men are fun to watch play the game of hockey.
I’m kind of torn on the lockout now. If the NHL stays away until October, the Barons kids can have a lash at playoff hockey and push deep into the spring providing enjoyable hockey. However, positives are piling up everywhere amongst Oiler players:
- Eberle is having another impact season. That’s 2 in a row and a very good sign.
- Taylor Hall’s hat trick tips us that he’s close to being all the way back.
- Justin Schultz.
- Dubnyk was outstanding at the Spengler yesterday.
- The pro’s playing seem to be having fine seasons–Hemsky, Gagner, others.
- Ryan Smyth spent the lockout helping Mitch Moroz with the goalmouth etiquette and then returned to the Spengler with Bobby Hull’s slapshot.
Have the Oilers found a useful item in Mark Arcobello? I think we’re at a point where the player should get some consideration for at least a 10 game audition in the NHL. Now, I’m completely aware that he’s in a fabulous spot, but it’s also true that there were other candidates for his current role and Arcobello won the day. He can make a difference at evens in the AHL and can play with skilled men at that level. Can he fill a role in the NHL?
My concern would be that he’d play 4line minutes for a week and get sent back down. Arcobello would need to play with good hockey players in order to have success. How many of those does Edmonton have on the 3rd and 4th lines? Would you consider giving Arcobello a chance between Ryan Smyth and Ryan Jones after the lockout ends?
What say you?
The NHL has made a new offer, details here. I am so tired of the back and forth, they get it done or they don’t; let me know when the Oilers are on my television, after that I’m out.