REDEMPTION

It is much too early to call it, and the early months of 2013 will tell the story. However, there is at least a shot at redemption for 3 Oiler prospects in the second half of 2012-13.

• DANIIL ZHARKOV: 23 goals as a 17-year old in the OHL is a good total, and Zharkov’s size (6.04, 212) and tools suggested Edmonton was getting a solid prospect in the 2013 drafts third round. He has been very poor in the OHL this season (8 goals before the break) but was surprisingly named to the Russian WJ team. He has been slowly moving up the depth chart over the last couple of weeks and scored a nice goal (from Yakupov) on a skill line for the Russians today. Corey Pronman: Daniil Zharkov (EDM) started off on the fourth line but with a solid performance he ended up taking some shifts here and there on a scoring line. He showed a quality amount of skill making some flashy plays on top of some good defense too. He’s a weird prospect as every time I see him he always is really impressive but he just never produces.

lander7

Photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved.

• ANTON LANDER: For a long time this season Lander looked like he was lost, especially offensively. Coach Nelson placed him between Magnus Paajarvi and Teemu Hartikainen a few weeks back and the trio is finding the range. Lander is now getting regular ice time (I think that’s a big part of the OKC problem–the guys on the 3 and 4 lines aren’t playing much unless they PK) and is recovering. In his last 10 games with the Barons, Lander is 1-4-5 +3; that’s no screaming hell but he doesn’t get PP time and is never going to be a big time offensive player. In the previous 16 games, Lander was 1-0-1, even. There’s still time to salvage the season and in the case of Lander its important that his arrows start going in a good direction.

ewanyk

• TRAVIS EWANYK: This blog hasn’t talked about Ewanyk much, mostly because he was injured for much of last season and he’s not an offensive player in junior (which means he is not a prospect of note–it’s the truth). However, Ewanyk was drafted as a crash and banger and the Oilers clearly want that player type as part of their NHL roster makeup. Ewanyk has been out of the lineup quite a bit this fall and early winter, but of late the offense has reached acceptable levels (in his last 9 games: 9, 3-4-7 +8) and he has some interesting verbal going on out on the worldwide web:

mckenziedellowdawgbone

That’s a twitter conversation between our friends Tyler Dellow, dawgbone and icon Bob McKenzie (along with Michael, who I do not know but his parents are wise because they chose an excellent name for their son). McKenzie is certainly connected, so if he says Team Canada was disappointed then we should at least consider the possibility. It also clearly points out the gap between how the math people would structure a roster/draft for their team and how some NHL teams actually go about their business. Come the spring this blog will have a fun debate about the merits of signing Ewanyk, but I doubt the organization has any worries beyond injury.

13 Responses to "REDEMPTION"

1. spoiler says:

Not just how a NHL team would construct the roster, but how Hockey Canada would construct a Jr roster.

Are there some roles that are both necessary and non-mathy? Seems so.

If I recall from one of the snippets I’ve seen on TV, PKing was a concern for this Junior team, maybe they thought he fit well there?

I also would’ve had Pitlick on the list. Now that the org has reaped all the benefits of a lockout, it’s time to end the madness and get the Pitlick’s of the AHL some decent TOI.

2. spoiler says:

I’ve been keeping half an eye on the other top players from that fine Medicine Hat team, as a means of rough comparison to Pitlick, and strangely, only Vey is doing half decent in the A. 21 points thus far this year.

Lander HAS to play with a player who can drive the play up the ice like Paajarvi (or better) and then I think he is going to be fine in a bottom six role. He has the skill level to play in the offensive end, if others can drive the play there.

Eager and Petrell and Hordichuk as wingers for Lander was beyond moronic.

The Oilers have a lot of dynamic wingers for Lander to play with.

4. speeds says:

spoiler:

Are there some roles that are both necessary and non-mathy? Seems so.

We don’t really know if they are necessary, because they’ve never picked a team without them. I think it’s important to consider the three game states (EV, PP, and PK), but I’m unsure how important it is to bring guys that are big, “finish their checks”, generally 19, etc.

5. RexLibris says:

First things first, LT. Slow clap for the pun in the photo at the header. Very nice.

One other prospect I’ve been watching closely is Rieder. In a 7-0 whupping by the Russians today he was only -2 and had 7 shots on goal. He’s obviously being used as the Germans principle offensive player, and seems to be balancing those demands well with some attention to defense and is still finding a way to fire everything he can at net.

Even in a game like this he impresses me. I can’t wait to see him make the switch to the AHL and see what he can do there.

6. Professor Q says:

RexLibris,

Although most of the announcers’ emphases is on Draisatl.

7. sliderule says:

I have watched all the German games with an eye to seeing why Reider isnt getting as many points as last year.He has me baffled as he has looked really good.He has made a lot of plays andwhen his line is on ice play actually looks even.

The only thing I can think is that Rangers are using his line to shutdown and Pk with Faksa and Puempel getting the easier minutes.

8. RexLibris says:

sliderule,

I heard the coach also makes him skate backwards with his laces tied together. ;-)

I’ve been impressed with him as well, in my limited viewings. He has shown offensive instincts and I often find him within 6 feet of the blue paint when a scoring chance occurs. Those are up arrows, as the saying goes.

9. DeadmanWaking says:

Yesterday it seemed I couldn’t write ten words without jumbling my metaphors, or two paragraphs without strewing collapsed aqueducts. Finally I decided to embrace the pig by the lips. I gave the pig a big smack. It was surprisingly liberating. My soupcon of redemption arrived when I managed to stick my landing by wrongfeeting the expression “fancy footwork”. Structural dissonance as a meta-metaphor. Chicken salad from chicken litter.

Then I picked up from the library How Fiction Works by uber critic James Wood which excerpts a hefty serving of all-bean salad marinated in “the ruined argot of Manhattan media-speak” from The Suffering Channel.

A contemporary writer like David Foster Wallace wants to push this tension to the limit. He writes from within his characters’ voices and simultaneously over them, obliterating them in order to explore larger, if more abstract, questions of language.

In Wallace’s case, the language of his unidentified narration is hideously ugly, and rather painful for more than a page or two.

Auden frames the general problem well in his poem “The Novelist”: the poet can dash forward like a hussar, he writes, but the novelist must slow down, learn how to be “plain and awkward” and must “become the whole of boredom.” In other words, the novelist’s job is to become, to impersonate what he describes, even when the subject itself is debased, vulgar, boring. David Foster Wallace is very good at becoming the whole of boredom.

While I can relate, this certainly isn’t the job that Lowetide envisioned for himself when he convened his ragtag band of passionate extremophiles. This whole bean field war is too damn contemporary.

Years ago, my wife and I were at a concert … At a quiet, difficult passage of bowing, [the cellist] frowned. Not the usual ecstatic moue of the virtuoso, it expressed sudden irritation. At the same moment, we invented entirely different readers. Claire later said to me: “She was frowning because she wasn’t playing that bit well enough.” I replied: “No, she was frowning because the audience was so noisy.” A good novelist would have let that frown alone, and would have let our revealing comments along, too; no need to smother this little scene in explanation.

Yes, but sometimes there is. It’s all about the smothering.

Their own television variety show, The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, became one of the most controversial American TV programs of the Vietnam War era. Despite popular success, the brothers’ penchant for material that was critical of the political mainstream and sympathetic to the emerging counterculture led to their firing by the CBS network in 1969. One show was left unaired.

Damn, those dudes needed a blog.

To finish my little exercise in post-modern distraction, here is a passage (lightly edited) from Kelly McGonigal’s The Willpower Instinct which I’m also reading.

Although it’s hard to believe that physical fitness could be contagious. a 2010 report from the NBER found that poor fitness spread throughout the U.S. Air Force Academy like an infectious disease. A total of 3,487 cadets were tracked for four years from their high school fitness tests through their regular fitness exams at the academy. Over time, the least-fit cadet in a squadron gradually brought down the fitness levels of the other cadets. In fact, once a cadet arrived at the academy, the fitness level of the least-fit cadet in his squadron was a better predictor of his fitness performance than the cadet’s own pre-academy fitness level.

This book is mainly an exercise in information-dense personal cheer leading, so there’s nothing more about this surprising research anecdote.

I’ve always wondered why social groups–beginning with little rotters who can’t yet inscribe their names in neat block letters–are so quick to elect and reify the loser-in-residence. Well, it’s important work. One needs to lower expectations ASAP, or you might end up actually … working. Or not working, if your goal is success rather than loafing, in which case the short stick is not welcomed back.

This also perhaps explains the revulsion experienced by hockey-code purists over Omark’s successful shoot-out spin-o-rama. Weakness seeks redemption. Weak-link-ness walks the plank.

10. raventalon40 says:

I know it has been beat to death on this blog, but I still have trouble understanding why we drafted Moroz when Collberg was on the board.

11. raventalon40 says:

DeadmanWaking,

That was an interesting read.

raventalon40:

I listed 17 for the 2nd round without Moroz and then had him third on the list for “later rounds”:

But they liked him plenty. I’m not upset because for me MBS is a guy who has some nice things on his resume.

Kellen Jones with an assist for Quinnipiac this afternoon. No points for Bigos in the Merrimack game but the big man did play and was +1.