THE UNKNOWN SHOULDER

Holy hell we’re learning a lot about shoulders. After the Taylor Hall shoulder injury, one would have thought we were clear for awhile, but as it happens it is not to be: the Nuge has some issues.

OKC Barons coach Todd Nelson gave the latest drip of news this morning, Bruce McCurdy covers it here.

I have a couple of questions: when did the shoulder begin to bother him? when did the organization find out about it? did he play any games or take part in practice afterwards? The Edmonton Oilers sure have a lot of bad luck with this kind of thing.

16 Responses to "THE UNKNOWN SHOULDER"

1. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So…. if there was no WJC, he’d still be playing in OKC… or what?

Option 1) they knew it was bad, but not how bad…

Option 2) they didn’t know it was bad until a pre-WJC evaluation

Option 3) they knew he was bad and decided to rest/rehab him prior to the WJC

either way… the questions are… if they didn’t know earlier, why not? If they did, why did they wait to pull the plug?

2. stevezie says:

Great title.

3. Rocknrolla says:

TSNBobMcKenzie:

RNH update: No shoulder “injury” per se but will stay in EDM this week to have it strengthened/treated. Final decision on WJC by weekend.

So that tells me the MRI was good, and there is probably just some discomfort…we wait!

4. rich says:

Maybe we should just call it “Shoulder Gate”.

“Senator #1″ – The question before the panel (insert Oiler’s Coach name) is who knew what, when and why did it take so long for this to come to our attention.

“Oiler Coach” – Senator, I would like to invoke my constitutional right against self-incrimination and on the advice of counsel, respectfully decline to answer that question.

“Senator #2″ – Coach (name), we’re not asking if you had any part in the actual crime that is before us today, we just need clarification on what it is you knew and when.

“Oiler Coach” – I think, well, I want to say that, uh-er, uh, I know nothing, NOTHING!!!

“Senator #3″ – Thank you for that moment of clarity Coach. I can see that some things never change. All you’ve really done is re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titantic.

“Oiler Coach” – Oh, if you want to know who the captain of the Titanic is, that’s easy. Steve Tambellini!

5. OilLeak says:

Wow everyone jumps to conclusions quickly. Rehab could just mean some deep tissue work or mobility/alignment work. Joint injuries are tricky,discomfort lasts long after the injury has healed.

6. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Another dodgy shoulder. Not only are the trainers and coaches and management dumber than my 6 year old but you gotta question the scouts for drafting all those bad shoulders. Next we’ll find out that Yakupov has a bum shoulder when we could have drafted that sure bet defender Columbus snapped up.

7. ddw says:

Another theory … if RNH’s agent is optimistic, and thinks that we’ll be playing NHL hockey by the end of the month… this phantom shoulder injury might be a way to stall and buy some time before making the decision whether to go to the Juniors or not.

I’d imagine the thinking is that once you commit to the WJHC, you don’t back out. It looks bad on RNH if he pulls out halfway through the tourney – and the folks at Hockey Canada have long memories.

Shoulders are complicated things. Playing some hockey has probably revealed issues that couldn’t be revealed during off-season training. They are probably modifying his physiotherapy/exercise routine to address the areas that need work, and they are spending this weak teaching Nugent-Hopkins the exercises, to make sure he does them absolutely correctly to make sure the areas that need to be addressed get addressed.

Remember Nugent-Hopkins supposed added some muscle over the summer. Particularly with shoulders, if one area is weak, other areas compensate, and the weak area gets weaker.

Often the only way to discover imbalances, is by doing the actual thing…i.e. hockey. And “doing” may be the only way to determine whether it is “fixed”.

Shoulders are art, not science.

9. Lois Lowe says:

I wonder if the current spate of shoulder injuries is connected with how young hockey players begin trying to add muscle via weight training.

10. Dalton says:

He did suffer a pretty bad hit in Houston on Thursday and then looked kinda bad the rest of the night and the next night…

11. raventalon40 says:

Lois Lowe:

Actually I don’t think young hockey players start weight training early enough. I’ve dislocated both my shoulders in the past playing hockey before I learned my lesson about weight training. Both were routine situations like when Nugent-Hopkins got hurt but you’re not expecting an injury as opposed to along the boards where you would think these things would actually happen.

I think these things tend to happen more when you don’t expect it and your body isn’t prepped or angled to take a certain kind of impact. Your support muscles have to be up to the level of your primary muscles. Since I started weight training with more of a focus on core and support muscles a couple of years ago no more shoulder injuries or injuries that come with routine impacts of that type. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen to me in the future but it certainly does help.

12. DeadmanWaking says:

[Nugent, to himself] A whole week! Just for stretches? Cripes, if they notice my Nintendo thumb, this could be bad … really bad.

13. RexLibris says:

On a positive note, here is some news on Kyle Bigos (he plays in Hockey East, the same college division as the Flames’ new Theo Fleury, John Gaudreau). http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/81941/hulking-bigos-becoming-more-than-just-a-hitman/#more-81941

I would love to see this big man patrolling the blueline a la Craig Muni in the not-too-distant future.

14. raventalon40 says:

DeadmanWaking:
    [Nugent, to himself]A whole week!Just for stretches?Cripes, if they notice my Nintendo thumb, this could be bad … really bad.

Not before they notice his monkey finger and walrus gumboot. I think his Ninendo thumb would be more inconspicuous.

15. CrazyCoach says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴: Next we’ll find out that Yakupov has a bum shoulder when we could have drafted that sure bet defender Columbus snapped up.

IT appears that #2′s shoulders are no walk in the park either.

Could this be a reversal of a negative trend among OIlers draft picks?

16. CrazyCoach says:

raventalon40: I think if younger players focus on having strong core and support then tack on the weight as they get older, that would be best.

You’ve nailed it big time. It really is about training the right way rather than simply training. For years the focus was on building the aerobic base and trying to ad a little muscle here and there. Nowadays, players are focused more on the anaerobic-lactic energy system and focussing on training the core. It would be safe to say that hockey players are being trained/evaluated more and more like American football players every day.