I attended an event that featured a mentalist last night, he talked about reading people and tells (those are my words); the show was outstanding, and on the way home I began thinking about the Oilers and their “tells” when it comes to their players.
I do believe the Oilers will give these young men a full opportunity:
- Teemu Hartikainen: He’s pretty close to being the “guy we’re looking for” who can use his size and has enough skill to play with the very good players.
- Colten Teubert: He’ll stand in against anyone, shoots first and asks questions later.
- Taylor Fedun: I have no idea how he fits in, but Fedun is building a resume. Maybe a modern Gary Lariviere?
- Tyler Pitlick: Ridiculous combination of zero results and compliments from onlookers. Every chance.
- Curtis Hamilton: I think there’s a disconnect between player and organization, but it isn’t terminal yet. Hamilton is in a little trouble as a prospect, but is showing signs lately of turning the corner (especially on the PK).
- Martin Marincin: NHL teams never give up on big, mobile defensemen who can move the puck. Never. Lots to learn, he’s a keeper.
- Chris VandeVelde: I think the Oilers like this guy far more than any Oiler fan would think. Suspect he’s in the plans, at least for the short term.
- Anton Lander: I suspect they’ve cooled on him a little, but Lander is still a prospect they believe in.
- Kristians Pelss: They like him a lot, the fact he signed tells us that much. Pelss is in the age range of the golden part of the cluster, that might hold him in good stead moving forward.
I don’t believe these men will be long term Oilers based on how things are rolling out and what we read into the actions of the club:
- Magnus Paajarvi: I don’t think the Oilers see him on a scoring line, and feel others are available for the 2-way role. I think he’ll be traded, and will have a solid career elsewhere.
- Toni Rajala: Despite impressive numbers, the Oilers are going away from small forwards, and the ones they do have are so damn good its silly.
- Cameron Abney: I wonder if he’s hurt himself somewhere along the way. He is not the nuclear deterrent hoped for, and he certainly isn’t going to play hockey minutes.
- Alex Plante: I think the Oilers made their decision on Plante the day Teubert came over.
- Phil Cornet: If he had some more crash maybe the Oilers would consider him, but the ECHL demotion the season after 24 goals is a tell.
- Ryan Martindale: Buddy’s been hurt for awhile now, but hasn’t drawn into the lineup and no one is asking about him. I think that’s a tell.
I’ll have a GDT up later today.