Photos by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved.
I find it difficult to discuss the Barons without starting each sentence with “Justin Schultz….” or “Taylor Hall….” or “Jordan Eberle” but there are other men on the roster. Last night, coach Todd Nelson shook up the batting order and the result was a convincing victory against a difficult foe. Oh sure, Hall, Schultz and Eberle wrote the script but some of the character actors got bigger parts in last night’s play. I wonder if it continues.
I thought Curtis Hamilton had a good game last night, he was certainly more involved than we’ve seen him in, well, ever during his OKC stay. He played well enough to get noticed:
- Bruce McCurdy: #13 Curtis Hamilton, 7 – Had a slow start on his new line when Eberle found him with space but Hamilton hesitated, held the puck too long, and wound up making a bad centring pass. Found the plot soon thereafter, though, and played what to my eye was easily his best game of the year with a solid performance in all three zones. Was strong on the PK with some good plays to clear the puck, a fine shot block, and some excellent skating. Played the body and got involved with humongous Nolan Yonkman after the bruiser treated Eberle rudely. Moved the puck sharply and wound up +3.
The trick of course is to get Hamilton and others rolling offensively before Hall, Schultz and Eberle return to Rexall. I think he’s earned another game on a big line, but we’ll see what coach Nelson thinks tonight.
What might this OKC roster look like when the NHL players are recalled? Well, it actually isn’t pretty. Lets assume that the Oilers recall the NHL players (Hall, Nuge, Eberle) and the wonder Schultz, along with winger Teemu Hartikainen and goaltender Yann Danis to cover off Khabibulin’s latest morskája boleznʹ.
- G: Devan Dubnyk, Yann Danis, Nikolai Khabibulin (ir)
- D: Ladislav Smid, Jeff Petry, Nick Schultz, Justin Schultz, Ryan Whitney, Corey Potter, Theo Peckham, Andy Sutton (ir)
- C: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sam Gagner, Shawn Horcoff, Eric Belanger
- L: Taylor Hall, Teemu Hartikainen, Ryan Smyth, Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk
- R: Ales Hemsky, Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Jones, Lennart Petrell
That’s 23, plus the two members of the Springfield Retirement Castle.
The New Barons
- G: Olivier Roy, Tyler Bunz
- D: Taylor Fedun, Colten Teubert, Martin Marincin, Alex Plante, Jordan Henry, Nathan Deck, Brandon Davidson, Teigan Zahn
- C: Josh Green, Anton Lander, Chris VandeVelde, Ryan Martindale (ir), Tanner House, Eric Hunter
- L: Magnus Paajarvi, Dane Byers, Curtis Hamilton, Kristians Pelss
- R: Mark Arcobello, Phil Cornet, Tyler Pitlick, Antti Tyrvainen, Toni Rajala, Cameron Abney
Does that look right? I’d think the Barons would rush to sign some AHL veterans, what with Josh Green, Dane Byers, and the departed (in this model) Danis representing experience. If I’m Todd Nelson, sleeping at night becomes an issue as soon as the lockout ends.
I’ll have a GDT up later today.