WJ G2: RUSSIA V SLOVAKIA

Nail Yakupov has already caused a stir before skating a shift in anger at the World Junior Championships. Saying he’ll be ready for the “dirty Canadians” the young flash appears to be full of piss and vinegar as the Russian WJ gets underway.

• Yakupov: “I understand that I will have to keep a cool head and ignore provocations. Especially against the Canadians. These guys play dirty. We got used to that, we played a few games in the North America, so our team is ready.  Of course, I’m ready for the leading role morally, physically and by all other criteria.”

Cool. I love the swagger and confidence displayed by young Nail Yakupov, and hope he can take all of it onto the ice and make this  a world championships to remember (lord knows the Nuge has already done a number this morning). Gord and Ray talked a lot this morning about how cold it is in Ufa, but I love the ice and the wide rink and God bless these boys for giving up their Christmas for our entertainment.

What I don’t know about Russia is a lot, but I am as always in awe of their anthem. If national anthems are supposed to inspire the locals to grab their muskets and run over the hill, the world is in a lot of trouble when they’re taking on the Russian bear.

12 Responses to "WJ G2: RUSSIA V SLOVAKIA"

Nail fairly invisible in the first period, Zharkov drew a penalty via a cross check to the back that looked painful.

Nice little move there by Yakupov in the neutral zone. He’s a smart player.

3. skidplate says:

I didn’t see the entire game, but I was surprised that Yakupov was not on the ice in OT with the PP and seconds left.

Skidplate: He played more as the game wore on and I thought he had some nice sequences. I don’t think they have him with the right linemates but the coach seemed to change things up in the 2nd period. He played a long shift in OT iirc so was probably done after that one.

5. delooper says:

There’s some honesty in the “dirty Canadians” statement. I’ve played hockey in four different t countries and on returning to Canada all I was amazed by how angry and chippy it was.

6. FPB94 says:

I guess that’s kinda related to the Boone Jenner hit; what a stupid one at that. I think there’s a lot of hitting for the sake of hitting around here.

7. jfry says:

I went to 20 games at last year’s Wjc and the Canadian squad was easily the cheapest and dirtiest of all the teams.

I really like how euro refs call the game. It would be good for the chl to adopt a slightly tighter called game. No one wins with bs stick infractions constantly.

8. Zack says:

I admit Jenner’s hit wasn’t the cleanest but some of the calls this morning, especially the charging call was extremely soft. I really enjoy the abrasive and rough style the Canadians bring, especially the big open ice hits.

9. stevezie says:

I liked Gord Miller’s comment that the, despite Canada’s well-earned rep for being dirty, Canada is the second most popular team in the tournament with the local fans and Russians consider it an intense but friendly rivalry.

10. jfry says:

@stevezie

That’s as much about history as anything current, I’d suspect. It’s a bit like saying, people who’ve enjoyed butter continue to like butter. What other rivalry in hockey is bigger than can/rus. There’s nothing even close.

_______

Count me as one who always likes the play on the big ice. I really wish it was something even a couple of rinks in the show had.

11. DeadmanWaking says:

I wouldn’t mind international width between the blue lines, but I like the NHL width for power forwards walking out of the corners. It’s a long hike already carrying two guys on your back. Cripes, we could have had a canoe-shaped hockey rink a long time ago if Montreal had tapped birch-bark craftsmen instead of rail-tie lumberjacks. Water doesn’t care, does it? It’s not a train system. The defenseman in the neutral zone would have to decide whether to drop back controlling the neutral-zone boards, or to take the shortest path between two points. The player’s benches would have better sight-lines into the near-side corners. The center would have to think his line change that much better.

We could call it a canoe, and the Russians could call it an anvil. Instant bilateral agreement.

12. DeadmanWaking says:

Here’s how it all happened.

The French Canadians agreed among themselves “Oui! A rink should be curved like a … canoe.” They hired canoe-builders to erect the frame (I guess the luthiers were busy that day). A few weeks later, the canoe builders bump into the a bunch of lumberjacks at the local pub. None of the canoe-builders show up for work the next day. Soon the lumberjacks are hired to complete the design. “No no, don’t tear out the corners, just continue with what we’ve got and run it rail-straight if that’s all you know how to do. Money doesn’t flow from trees, you know.”

Over in Russia they also agreed “Da! It should be curved like a … n’anvil.” They hired kayak builders from Siberia to erect the frame (I guess the luthiers were busy that day). A few weeks later, the kayak builders bump into the a bunch of lumberjacks at the local pub. None of the kayak-builders show up for work the next day. Soon the lumberjacks are hired to complete the design. “No no, don’t tear out the benches, just continue with what we’ve got and run it rail-straight if that’s all you know how to do. All the potatoes went into the still, of course.”

Two identical stories, two incompatible standards. A soup-slurping muff-eared frontiersman starts from the corners and builds into the center. Unthinkable in Russia where all things begin with the ear-bread mincemeat filling then proceed from the center outward.