BLAME IT ON TULUPOV

If injuries were felines, the Oilers would be catnip. Injuries wait for the lights at Rexall to go on and then find their station along the wall and in the middle of the ice. If we could find them, maybe we could stop the madness.

Ben Eager has a concussion, no doubt a result of the blow in photo. Eager has had a few during his NHL career, this is his second as an Oiler and fourth since 2007. Among other things, this is an enormous opportunity. With Eager hurt and Ryan Jones on the IR, both Hartikainen and Paajarvi have a small window of opportunity to establish themselves.

Godspeed.

49 Responses to "BLAME IT ON TULUPOV"

1. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

LT

Got to tell you, Hartikainen is not a good NHL hockey player! He belongs no where near the top six and you keep pushing him for the PP! I think your honestly over hyping this guy, I don’t see it………at all.

You want him to hit, he doesn’t, you want him to battle for the puck, he doesn’t, you want him to be offensive, he can’t. He’s north south and not much in between, he’s a liability and his foot speed is terrible.

I have also not been a fan of Paajarvi too, however he played very good last game, he as an opportunity now, I hope he works it, the way he played should get him time with Horcoff and Smyth.

Paajarvi is worth investing time in, Hartikainen is a good AHL player.

2. jp says:

Well, we’re not getting to 600 comments on this thread.

That’s called apathy (for Eager primarily).

3. mumbai max says:

Does anyone still think the Petrell signing was bad? In the absence of Jones, he is the only
    reliable AND physical winger on the team. Harti is going to have to start hitting if he
    is going to stay up when Jones returns. Please lord let us NOT have to get into
    ”stop winnin for McKinnon’ mode, I couldn’t take it. The LAK game is vital to judge
    the character of this team. This drubbing may end up being seen as a turning point,
    it is just unclear if it will be positive or negative. I am holding my breath, starting……now.

Hartikainen needs time to adjust at the NHL level. Give him some time to figure it out.

I wish Krueger would go with Horcoff between Paajarvi and Hartikainen, and Smyth with Belanger and Petrell (since he wants to use 4 lines).

Paajarvi and Hartikainen have demonstrated chemistry together at the end of last season in the AHL playoffs, and again this year, with pretty much any centre between them (Green, Vandevelde, Lander).
    Vandevelde got six goals in the playoffs playing between them.

Paajarvi is the puck transporter that Hartikainen needs.

Godspeed.

Agreed that this is an enormous opportunity.

An opportunity for the OIlers.

They can show their fans that players who fly the D zone early and leave their linemates in odd man situations are not good hockey players regardless of their hair or break away goals, and that speedy strong players who out shoot their opponents are a very good result of a first round draft pick.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I refuse to blame anything on Tulupov.

I still believe Kirill is the answer to all Oiler problems. He eats concussions for breakfast.

And, don’t you mean this is a great opportunity for Tulupov to be tried on as a winger?

7. vishcosity says:

Woodguy:

I think I remember Wayne doing something like what you describe. If I recall, the PK was more of a triangle plus 1, with 99 being the cherry picker leaving the d zone early as he busted up ice looking for the outlet pass.

There are many ways to win a hockey game, I hope Kruger takes the time this year to try a couple different looks including the radical and unconventional that only a group of elite magicians could manage.

And too bad for K Lowe’s plan with Whitney. I think they targeted him to be the hard to find #1 D, but, then, I think they were gifted an extra winger for which they did not plan. As much as I fear the idea of trading one of Yak Ebs or Hall, it seems that unloading one of those for a truly elite defenseman could be the only way to replace that ankle.

8. Matt.N says:

Wes Mantooth-11,

I appreciate your comment, but I see it way differently. He does fantastic work down low, in the cycle, along the boards. He has a high battle level and will take it to the front of the net. These are all skills that we don’t have much of on this roster. He just needs to show that he can keep up in the defensive and offensive transition game.

9. Bruce McCurdy says:

Hmmm. Praise for Paajarvi, who was out to lunch on two goals last night, badly out of position on both, taking the wrong man and not doing anything when he got to him. “Reliable” Petrell had a ridiculous sequence of garbage penalty killing and his line was a mess on one even strength goal as well. Ryan Jones, meanwhile, was in the press box as his team struggled without him.

I know! Let’s blame Jones!

Sheesh.

10. Bruce McCurdy says:

Also, the Oilers must be nearing the theoretical maximum of one concussion sustained for every fight they get in. Is this Buchberger’s coaching? >:(

11. Maggie the Monkey says:

Right before reading LT’s article I read a piece by Ken Dryden over at the Globe and Mail about Junior Seau, the NFL star linebacker who commit suicide last spring. It’s a great little piece about how well he lived and played the game, and the emotional troubles he had after retiring that were likely related to Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy – a result of repeated concussions.

This is probably why it’s standing out to me that there’s been no concern expressed anywhere here for Eager’s health. I’m not sure if I would have normally noticed this or not.

Here’s a link to the Dryden’s piece: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/seau-played-game-the-way-it-was-meant-to-be-played-and-that-should-worry-the-nfl-more-than-anything/article7719973/

12. DeadmanWaking says:

I was thinking wouldn’t it have been nice to unveil the arena deal when there was little else to discuss? Then I was thinking: Fat chance. The shiny positive vibe was transferred mid-term to Tom Brown’s Rugby School and given a sepulchral turn on the fireplace spit second day in. So much for hope. So much for optics. Note to management: The preseason you drown may be your own.

Woodguy: They can also show that you don’t have to be a fighter to play tough, physical hockey, but I also think Eager is capable of that too, but I have no idea what his coach tells him to do.

Man, I wish that rider was stated more often. We never have a perfect understanding of what goes on behind closed doors. The public story spooned out ranges from piecemeal, to pure static, to active distortion. You need a dowsing rod on any given Sunday just to determine the sign, much less the magnitude.

Krueger’s more forthright style is constructed on the bedrock of his ability to absolutely and reliably conceal what he wishes not to express, right down to facial expression and body language. Judging on early returns, there will be more daylight, but also a blacker black. Hitchens in his biography described himself as “keeping two sets of books”. Krueger has that kind of mental focus and precision recall and cultivated spin to thrive in a contentious spotlight.

I never encourage deceit, and falsehood, especially if you have got a bad memory, is the worst enemy a fellow can have. — Abe.

I just clicked on the connection between parsing the post-game reveal (carrier frequency: cliche) is analogous to Hidden Markov model.

In its discrete form, a hidden Markov process can be visualized as a generalization of the Vet-Urn problem: On a bus that is not visitable by an observer there is an exciting prospect with a ten cent head. The bus contains Crash Davis washed-up mentors X1, X2, X3, … each of which has acquired a favoured mix of cliches, each cliche labeled y1, y2, y3, … . The prospect sits beside an vet-urn on that bus and randomly receives a suggested cliche, which he dutifully regurgitates as part of his next post-game spiel. The blond bombshell with the microphone (and nothing else to do that evening) can observe the sequence of the cliches but not the sequence of cynical veterans he’s been sitting beside.

Annie Savoy, however, is a grand master of the forward-backward algorithm: after reciting her favorite poem, she flips the page backwards, and recites it again. Foreplay is cliche leaving the body.

As fans, we’re often left parsing the fashion shoots in Groupie Cosmo. If Annie wears pumps the morning after, Noosh’s flower is rising.

13. stevezie says:

Did anyone else think he was DeadManWalking al this time? I only just noticed the lack of an L.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Maggie the Monkey,

The thought actually did cross my mind… but then I remembered how much I like Kirill’s name… but now I feel shame.

15. jp says:

stevezie,

I noticed that some time ago, but yes, I initially thought it was deadmanwalking.

Bruce McCurdy:

I know! Let’s blame Jones!

Sheesh.

Sorry Bruce.

vishcosity: I think I remember Wayne doing something like what you describe.If I recall, the PK was more of a triangle plus 1, with 99 being the cherry picker leaving the d zone early as he busted up ice looking for the outlet pass.

And too bad for K Lowe’s plan with Whitney.I think they targeted him to be the hard to find #1 D, but, then, I think they were gifted an extra winger for which they did not plan.As much as I fear the idea of trading one of Yak Ebs or Hall, it seems that unloading one of those for a truly elite defenseman could be the only way to replace that ankle.

Rexall slush pushing his ankle over the brink is a tragedy.

One of the best first passes in hockey and now he can’t keep up with the play.

Its a goddam shame.

Bruce McCurdy:

I know! Let’s blame Jones!

Sheesh.

PRV having a couple errors in his first NHL game in almost a season doesn’t make him worse than Jones.

Not by a long shot.

Bruce: Not a fan on Paajarvi? I thought he’d be a guy who appealed because of his defensive bent.

Bruce McCurdy:

I know! Let’s blame Jones!

Sheesh.

The secret to Jones’ “unseen” horribleness is that he usually played with 10 and 94, backed up by 5 and 58 (now 2)

When Jones missed his assignments those players covered for him and covered well.

94-10-5-2 played 4v5 for 50% of the time he was on the ice since Jones was on the ice in Ozone or dragging ass back after being on the ice in the Ozone.

Great at getting break aways (go figure) and PKing last year though.

Rotten at 5v5.

21. bookje says:

stevezie:

It’s always been Walking, he must have just changed it. The only other possibility is that I have been misreading it for the last year or so and that is unpossible.

Always been Dead Man Waking from what I recall. That’s kind of the thing, right? Waking?

23. FPB94 says:

MPS, Radev Dvorak Jr.

Good news (or terrible news) from the Montreal front; the crowd is turning sour on Subban and the negotiations are nowhere near any good.

Apparently these bunch of nitwits think turning down 2 X 2,5M$ is a crime, and blatantly ignored the fact Subban was our N1 defensemen for the last two years. These rabid morons are okay with Kaberle making 4M$ or Gionta 5,5M$.

Chelios, Leclair, Roy. In Montreal there’s a running tradition of pissing away great talent because our administration thinks they’re holier than thou. FFS.

LT: Checked out the ”ballboy” incident. Saw that some football players defended the kick.

Good lord. What the hell.

FPB: I cannot believe they’re doing this, it’s incredible. Sign him!

25. vishcosity says:

My wife has met Seau eight or ten times. Said he was about the most likable, friendly, pleasant chap of all the pro athletes she’s met. (As a photographer she’s covered a number of celebrity golf tournaments in San Diego). She was stunned to hear about the suicide, said she didn’t see any evidence of any issues from the outside at least. Said he was clear, communicative, and as normal as any guy out there.

Does the NFL bear any responsibility? Maybe letting them play with the face mask could be considered a part of it, without the grill, no one is going to lead with their head compared to what is going on now.

Clearly the problem is with us, we’re the Roman citizens in the amphitheatre. To quote Zerdev? “The KHL is a game, the NHL is a war.”

26. FPB94 says:

They’re playing Francis Bouillon on the powerplay. Seems like they’re cashing in on the glass legionnaire being back for good (Markov).

Insane. Just insane.

There’s a post right now called ”Nobody in the NHL wants PK Subban”.

These guys are nuts.

27. bookje says:

PK Subban – the guys just trouble Montreal, you don’t want him, what you need is an experienced Netminder with a Stanley Cup ring and a guy with great hair who is a crowd favourite here in Edmonton.

28. FPB94 says:

bookje,

No. No they don’t. Please have mercy. At least send something good back.

29. Ribs says:

Yep, it’s always been “Waking”. If he’s a zombie he’s sure not the slow-walking, mentally obtuse kind we see in all of those cheesy horror flicks.

30. stevezie says:

Waking makes sense but so does walking, right? It’s a Bruce Springsteen song, after all.

31. Ribs says:

Fussy Britches updates….

When @GMMikeGillis called Oilers and asked for 83,91 and 1st Tambo replied how about Gagner Gillis didn’t say no. Oilers not interested .

Oilers offered a 2nd rd pick to Sens for Ben Bishop as per Garfield

32. gogliano says:

I’ve been reading walking until today as well. Heading to google for evidence…

ETA: A lot of people mistakenly call him deadmanwalking, apparently. And LT likes the turn of phrase. People who’ve been dead men walking in a 2 minute search: MacT; Garon; Pujols.

But amazing the way the brain fills things in. META, DMW, META.

33. DeadmanWaking says:

stevezie:

Play hangman much?

I love how the brain works. Annie Savoy -> Sean Penn -> Hey, wait a minute! Jeopardy contestant: I’ll take an L! [Dramatic silence.] Sorry, no L. Second Jeopardy contestant: I’ll take an N! [Dramatic silence.] Sorry, no N. (I’m referencing a racist Jeopardy splice on YouTube I won’t link.)

Damn, it’s not actually that clear which letter I left out.

I had classmates in highschool with highly developed senses of self: political identity, social identity, sexual identity. Myself, I had a religious upbringing. My father was a minister in my early years, and my mother was a die-hard church lady, of the school that if you had a relationship with God, you needn’t know or express anything else about yourself. I was actively rejecting the party line by the time I was nine years old. By the time I was eleven, I had learned that the best offense is to keep your mouth shut. I wouldn’t complicate matters socially by contradicting anything anyone might assume about me, nor would I muddy the waters by proactively expressing any of my own beliefs. I was in any case more of a perceiver than a judger. I soaked up life from the sidelines.

The whole quest for identity thing took me on a round-about path in my early adult years (meaning any Roman would have been dead already). Like a man who specializes in hunting mushrooms, I learned a lot about root systems, but hardly anything about trees–or life in the sunlight above. Groping my way back to the sunlight took a long time. Early on when I started reading Lowetide, I noticed Lowetide’s curious power to levitate me out of the humus. LT has a powerful connection to his formative family identity. I had that, too, but mine was completely sub-vocal. Passions were never stated or named. A big part of this was a tension between my parents: my father (the former minister) took a rather flexible and meta-physical stance toward metaphysics. My mother didn’t even know the word “flexible”. In my family, less spelling it out equated to far more harmony. Our internal differences were respected only insofar as they remained unspoken.

Looking back, I’m wracked with sadness about the whole thing. It’s not right to say about your own family “and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve”. That’s a sad place to be at age eleventy one.

Through Lowetide, I’ve been able to re-engage with some of this history–and catch up on the long deferred task of having something to say, and a voice to say it in. This would be easier, of course, if I weren’t covertly discarding ambiguous trojans. There I go again … people are going to think that’s sexual. It’s just word play about the absentee L/N dichotomy. Really.

Here’s the thing about sex: it’s grotesquely over-provisioned. It’s the epitome of Taleb’s Antifragility. If one mode of expression or desire is blocked, other shoots sprout. Iterate a hundred times. More shoots. Does the power of a beautiful image reside in the woman, or in the activation of the negative image a man holds within? Both, really. Women know that beauty is not platonic: it needs a receiver. In Tiger’s case, the masculine negative image of feminine beauty appears to have dominated his selection process. He was seeking mainly himself. If you’re not happy within yourself, that makes for a long voyage with many ports of call. As Jack Nicholson once asked (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest) “can a man get too much shore leave?” (He actually says “poozle”.) Well, yes to one, no to the other.

Sexual undercurrents are useful in writing because in the highly overprovisioned human sex drive–all roads lead to Rome. Sexual cognition is a round-house of personal identity that departs in every direction. Most of the time, it’s the shortest accessory path between any two points.

One thing Lowetide does–which I’m sure horrifies my mother from beyond the grave–is openly revel in the capacity of sexual beauty to open or define or shade into all the portals of personal identity. In my childhood years, this would have made the top of my personal list of Least Possible Things. One time still in my father’s ministry years, my mother spotted out the front window a young teenage boy walking home with a young teenage girl. They were holding hands. It all looked rather harmless to me. My mother–who normally never expressed anything fuming inside–gave me quite an earful about that. I was still at the age where I was trying to wrap my mind around the possibility that liking girls might be somewhere on my life path, at a distant hard-to-fathom future age.

Needless to say, I was extremely secretive about liking girls for a long time after that. Over a long stretch of years, via my round-about path, this morphed into a deep fascination with authenticity. Skirt chasing can be all noise and loud distraction, or it can be the most authentic thing you’ll ever experience–and maybe sometimes a bit of both at the same time. I’ve come to realize rather slowly that authenticity comes more from how one processes the world than the world itself. The world is full of nasty lockouts by overpaid bums. It’s wrong to let the world take authenticity hostage.

That’s what we do here: we take it back again and make it our own. Here’s one story: What I’m waking up from is the Resurrection. Or rather, my mother’s extremely narrow view of the subject, and what it left out of being human in the here and now.

34. bendelson says:

stevezie,

I believe Deadmanwalking is Deadmanwaking’s more accomplished older brother.
    You can check him out on LinkedIn.

35. justDOit says:

The first time I read that user name, I thought it was Deadmanwanking. Despite the length of most of that dead man’s posts, he’s no wanker. Some very enjoyable writers around here, aside from the name on the sign.

36. Ribs says:

BLAME IT ON TULUPOV”

I’m still blaming Ashton Kutcher.

37. hags9k says:

DeadmanWaking,

*blink*….*blink*……I like the pictures of hot chicks too.

38. Matt.N says:

Holy shit. I went back and looked at older threads. It is DEADMANWAKING with no L.

I thought there was some kind of weird copycat trolling going on.

39. russ99 says:

mumbai max,

Yes, I do. For few hundred $K more than Petrell’s $875K cap hit, they could have brought in one of any number of veteran 3rd liners who could give us more stability in the defensive zone and possibly chipped in on offense.

I only hope it’s addressed with some quality in the offseason.

Also, kind of bummed Tulupov didn’t get another shot in OKC during the lockout, especially considering the sieve of blueliners they’ve had there. I guess the grass was greener for Kirill in Khabarovsk.

40. Ryan says:

Ribs:
    Fussy Britches updates….

Oilers offered a 2nd rd pick to Sens for Ben Bishop as per Garfield

Haha. Hemmer, prv, and a first? Maybe for a younger Hasek.

I also thought it was walking ftr.

41. Bruce McCurdy says:

I’ve been reading “Waking” asince early days. Noticed it with a start a few days after the soliloquys started. I too had thought “Walking” at first. Never, ever did it even occur to me that it might be “Wanking”. That would be rude! (It also made me laugh.)

42. hunter1909 says:

russ99: Still think the combination of the absence of a quality 3rd shutdown line and the shoehorning of Horcoff, Smyth and “forward X” into that role will be our undoing this season, be it before or during the playoffs.
    I only hope it’s addressed with some quality in the offseason.

Good luck with the Oilers ever doing things in a reasonable way – they’re hooked like a crack whore on blockbuster deals, deadline excitement, and spreading endless rumours re trading away various players not to their liking. It’s a den of intrigue, that’s for sure.

And since Horcoff has seemingly obtained virtual Brahman status Oiler for life, you can also forget about anything being done about that perpetual albatross. Ever. I’m surprised the Oiler’s lackey media hasn’t already started praising his coaching ability, in preparation for you-know-what.

43. russ99 says:

hunter1909,

Agree, but we did have a quality 3rd line for our cup run and before the freefall started in ’08, so at least reason suggests the Oilers could address that in the near future when they get serious about competing for the cup.

BTW – My cynical side still thinks “getting serious about competing for the cup” will conveniently coincide with the opening of the new arena… And if you want to have more fun with such a conspiracy theory, Horcoff is signed through ’15. ;)

44. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: I’m sure if Jones played last night I’d have a laundry list of missed assignments, but he didn’t.

That’s right, he didn’t. There was enough of a laundry list of real errors by active players in that game — including by the guys you suggest will be oh, so much of an improvement — that to default to another shot at a dude who had nothing to do with it landed wrong, that’s all. By all means drill the guy when he’s fucking up out there, but when the team is shitting the bed without him, maybe that’s a time to consider that there may be other problems.

Woodguy: Tyler has one of those goals up on his site and I do say that PRV needs to switch with 6 since 6 is up forcing the play at the blue.

I have all six of those goals up at the Cult of Hockey, and Paajarvi was one of many culprits. In his case he didn’t fly the zone, but he couldn’t navigate it with a GPS and a road map. The sixth goal was paticularly instructive, in which he got sucked deep into the zone to stand around a few feet away from one danger man, while the point man he should have been covering snuck into the slot to bury the shot.

Bruce:Not a fan on Paajarvi? I thought he’d be a guy who appealed because of his defensive bent.

Well, not if he is “bent” in such a matter as to lose his head in his ass!

Seriously, I like Paajarvi and defensive bent is all well and good, but there’s more to it than being first out of the offensive zone and first back in the defensive zone and then floating around not taking anyone or doing anything. Like Woodguy I don’t want to make too much out of one game’s worth of blunders, in which he had all kinds of company, but given his demonstrated lack of offence he needs to bring a whole lot more at the defensive level. Communicating with teammates so that they’re not both trying to do the same thing would be a real good place to start. That was his problem Tuesday, doubling up with Whitney to let one goal scorer go free, and with Belanger to lose track of another.

Funny thing is I keep reading and hearing about how well Paajarvi played on Tuesday (Dustin Nielson is going on about it even as I write this) but his offensive sorties weren’t very dangerous and resulted in the usual production, while his defensive gaffes were complicit on two of the goals. Not the game I’d be singling the guy out for his terrific play, I’ll just leave it at that.

45. dessert1111 says:

Add me to the list of people who invariably saw “walking”. Another universal brain malfunction, like how apparently we subconsciously skip over the word “of”?

Geez I will never understand all the hate for Jones. Even his underlying stats last year were good, not to mention his point production and PK work. He fills a role better than any other options for his role. Until there is a better player to replace him that is on the roster or attainable, why complain about a guy doing his best and doing a pretty good job? I mean, even when he’s injured and not playing? Is it because he skates like an old man? Don’t like men with long hair?

I feel bad for Eager’s concussion but only a little bit. I’ve heard stories about how he was as a person when he was younger and the bar fight falls in line with those stories. I don’t wish concussions on anybody but I’d feel a whole lot worse if it was a guy who seemed like a genuinely nice person.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: resulted in the usual production

That’s one of the subtlest disses I’ve ever read. Kudos, sir.

Bruce McCurdy,

All that is true Bruce.

Still doesn’t make Jones a good player.

48. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy:
    Bruce McCurdy,

All that is true Bruce.

Still doesn’t make Jones a good player.

Bruce McCurdy: And that may be true as well, Darcy. But dumping on a guy at a time his team is sucking without him seems like poor timing if not bad form. For the moment, at least, it’s not his fault!

I didn’t dump on him.

I actually didn’t even mention his name.

You assumed it was Jones based on my description.

Perhaps it was correct? :)