FISTRIC ADDED TO OILERS BLUE

The Edmonton Oilers replaced Andy Sutton today when acquiring big, tough defender Mark Fistric. Fistric is a former first round selection (2004) who has carved out a role with the Dallas Stars over the last few seasons. Dallas relied on him as a third-pairing defender, a penalty killer and as a ‘keep your head up’ deterrent to opposition Fancy Dan’s entering the zone.

Mark Fistric (courtesy behind the net)

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.14 (6th and last among Stars D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil
  • Qual Comp: easiest among Stars D over 40 games
  • Qual Team: least favourable among Stars D over 40 games
  • Corsi Rel: -3.8 5th best among Stars D over 40 games
  • Zone Start: 45.5% toughest among Stars D over 40 games
  • Zone Finish: 50.6% 2nd best among Stars D over 40 games
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 30 shots/0 goals
  • Boxcars: 60, 0-2-2
  • Plus Minus: -3 on a team that was even

A quick glance at these numbers tells us he was a third pairing stay at home defender who had the toughest zone starts on the club and sent the puck in a good direction fairly often. That’s a pretty good third pairing D, although his plus minus is below par and of course he doesn’t deliver much offensively–in fact, he looks like an extremely defensive player, and along with Nick Schultz and Laddy Smid gives the team three LH D who aren’t going to help you much with the GF.

I like the deal as a ‘replacing Andy Sutton on the 3rd pairing’ item and he’s young enough to have a nice little run here if things go well for him. Dallas probably felt they could fill this slot from within and with Fistric a UFA at season’s end getting a 3rd rd pick in return is terrific value.

For Edmonton, this is the kind of deal they had to make the moment Sutton’s status became known. Edmonton used 13 defensemen a year ago and you’d have to think that even with today’s deal we’ll see a lot of Potter, Peckham and Teubert in the NHL.

Steve Tambellini gives his read here,

A couple of good reads on the trade, two from Jonathan Willis and the other from Tyler Dellow.

A few words about the price tag: a 3rd rd pick is a dear price to pay, but I am encouraged that the Oilers have decided to deal the pick in an effort to have roster balance now. Under the MBS draft model, the third round selections are the areas where tall trees, Coke Machines, energy guys who can’t score and distant bell goaltenders are added (Troy Hesketh, Cam Abney, Samu Perhonen, Travis Ewanyk) but there’s also skill available (Ryan Martindale, Jujhar Khaira, Daniil Zharkov) depending upon the quality of the draft crop.

My understanding of this year’s draft is that it is rich in quality, so my feeling is that the organization has missed an opportunity in terms of giving Stu MacGregor a bullet in the chamber. Your view may vary depending on your opinion of the Oilers draft history.

speeds mentioned this below, but the Oilers could turn around and deal Fistric at the deadline should they choose. This is the kind of player who always has value at the deadline.

Fistric is UFA this summer, but is not the priority signing that Ladislav Smid will be, and Ryan Whitney could be beyond Smid territory if he’s completely healthy. Should the Oilers sign Smid and Whitney, they may not sign Fistric. The incumbent blue will include the unrelated Schultz brothers, Jeff Petry and Peckham along with Klefbom, Marincin and the other prospects who are knocking on the door.

If the Oilers spent a 3rd rd pick in a deep draft for 4 months of Mark Fistric, I believe we’ll look back on it and say it was not a good value deal. If Fistric comes in and settles down the third pairing, is effective in his role and can help the PK and GA, then the bet could be covered by signing a reasonable deal to keep him here in Edmonton.

I think the pairings might look like this:

• Smid-Petry
  • Schultz-Schultz
  • Whitney-Fistric
  • Potter

My thanks to Jon and Tyler for sussing out the RH-LH details this afternoon.

Fistric is a favorite player type of mine in one-way: despite being massive and a big time hitter, he rarely takes those dumbass penalties that do immense harm to their team. Fistric’s youtube highlights are full of legal and effective hits, and he certainly has an ability to clear the crease and intimidate opponents.

I believe EDM needs to make sure Ryan Whitney is back to normal, but once that is established we can safely say the club has reasonable quality and depth on the blue line. Should Whitney not be completely healthy, then we’re back to needing a legit top 4D.

All that said, I like the trade. It gives the team better balance leaving the station, a chance to rehab Theo Peckham before deciding whether to send down Corey Potter or keep 8D. I don’t think the Oilers should stop shopping though, and would like to see them pick up Thomas Hickey on waivers if Peckham is out for any length of time.

75 Responses to "FISTRIC ADDED TO OILERS BLUE"

1. Gerta Rauss says:

I don’t think the Oilers should stop shopping though

Agree-I think they should keep looking for an established D a little higher up the food chain than Fistric. I see the Fistric deal as adding another Theo Peckham, although this deal gives us another RD option(nice)

Rather than deal Fistric at the deadline, they could deal Peckham instead and pick up another bullet for Stu.

Hemsky and Whitney like the deal. :-)

3. hunter1909 says:

Gerta Rauss: I see the Fistric deal as adding another Theo Peckham

Fistric is an established NHL defenceman. Peckham(wtf I’m going to start calling him “Bunny”) is starting to remind me of the guy who took things too much for granted in that old Tortoise and the Hare story.

For all anyone knows Bunny might be one of those half baked players who shine, blow, and disappear. Fistric doesn’t light the world on fire, but you are fairly sure that you’re getting a certain level of competence.

In keeping with today’s theme, Oilers just took a giant step towards making the playoffs.

4. Melman says:

I like this deal for a 3rd rounder. The team has a number of D bubbling under – enough so that odds are you should be able to count on 2 of them gaining NHL employment. At some point you have to spend a little and here’s a guy with 250+ games under his belt. If he settles the 3rd pairing even for this season enabling a push to make the playoffs it’s a pick well spent.

LT given the choice between a 3rd rounder and say Omark you would…….

5. Gerta Rauss says:

hunter1909,

I think “established” is a bit of a stretch…I see Fistric as a solid 3rd pairing defender with little to no offensive ability, good PK skills, and hits like a truck. His past play in Dallas shows no evidence of being a top 4 option…he reminds me a lot of….Theo Peckham. And considering we now have 2 Theo Peckhams, I wouldn’t object to moving one of them…preferably the 1.0 version…:)

6. Gerta Rauss says:

Oilers impressed with J Schultz already

mox·ie (mks)
    n. Slang
    1. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.
    2. Aggressive energy
    3. Skill; know-how

7. Melman says:

Gerta Rauss,

I agree – I have no problem having a Teddy Peckman on the team. Now we have 2 and 1 of them has more experience and isn’t broken.

8. coolwasabi says:

I’m a little surprised that you’re a bit ‘meh’ on the deal, LT.
    Seems like a solid line drive single to me. Gotta give props to Tambellini on recognizing a hole and filling it. That’s not to say that it will work out – just look at Eric Belanger – but it’s a good bet.

I personally don’t value a 3rd round pick. “Troy Hesketh, Cam Abney, Samu Perhonen, Travis Ewanyk, Ryan Martindale, Jujhar Khaira, Daniil Zharkov”? I would trade any of those guys for a few more wins if a few more wins is the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

I do hope they keep shopping. It shouldn’t be, “our D is fine if Ryan Whitney is healthy”. It should be, “our D is already good, but even better if Ryan Whitney is healthy”. Me thinks they will wait until the trade deadline to decide tho…

9. Gerta Rauss says:

coolwasabi,

I agree…it could be the deadline before/if they make another move…I think they’ll leave the station on Sunday with what they’ve got now. When Peckham is healthy they’ll have to make a move…both Teubert and Fedun will now report to OKC for the game on Friday..it’s now just a question of which one of Peckham/Potter gets exposed to waivers and when(or carry 8 D as has been suggested)

Melman:
    I like this deal for a 3rd rounder.The team has a number of D bubbling under – enough so that odds are you should be able to count on 2 of them gaining NHL employment.At some point you have to spend a little and here’s a guy with 250+ games under his belt.If he settles the 3rd pairing even for this season enabling a push to make the playoffs it’s a pick well spent.

LT given the choice between a 3rd rounder and say Omark you would…….

Choose Omark.

coolwasabi:
    I’m a little surprised that you’re a bit ‘meh’ on the deal, LT.

I personally don’t value a 3rd round pick. “Troy Hesketh, Cam Abney, Samu Perhonen, Travis Ewanyk,Ryan Martindale, Jujhar Khaira, Daniil Zharkov”? I would trade any of those guys for a few more wins if a few more wins is the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

I like the deal, but don’t like:

1. that he’s ufa
    2. giving up a 3 in a deep draft

having said that, as speeds mentioned they could flip Fistric at the deadline, and they could also sign him.

An effective and signed Fistric is certainly worth a third round selection.

12. justDOit says:

Gerta Rauss:

Oilers impressed with J Schultz already

mox·ie (mks)
    n. Slang
    1. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.
    2. Aggressive energy
    3. Skill; know-how

see also: Canadian rock bands from the 70s.

13. speeds says:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised by either LT, really depends on the play of other players and/or how the Oilers do.

14. Rondo says:

I wonder how many other teams tried to make a deal for him.

Moxy had some great years in the 70s and after. One of my favorite singers (Alex Machin) was in the band later on.

16. oreilly88 says:

One thing i think you may have overlooked too is that the oilers have 2 2nd rounders in this draft because of the cogliano trade. So really in this deep draft i”ll take using this 3rd rounder with the insurance of 2 2nd rounders. Fistric is Nasty and frankly I will take him over peckham any day.

17. leadfarmer says:

Really too bad that Schultz doesnt get the AHL defenseman scoring record, cause he deserves it. Oh well. Anyway I dont mind the Fistric addition, the more competition the better. I just hope they add someone a little higher up the food chain. Pick up a number 1 d and that defensive core looks decent.

18. OilLeak says:

So With Fedun recalled, Deck is the top guy on defense in OKC right now and he began the season in the ECHL! Our prospect depth is not what we thought it was and the Oilers are once again dangerously thin on defense and various other positions. The Fistric signing doesn’t really solve anything, as his signing represents the bare minimum Tambellini had to do to replace Sutton. Fistric is probably a downgrade on Sutton and is an upgrade over Peckham, but I didn’t expect Peckham to make this team anyways.

I really hope the Oilers choose to draft skill over toughness in this coming draft to avoid the pitfalls of a talentless development system when injuries hit in the future. Or Tambellini could trade for more skill, but I’m pretty sure we figured out that’s not his “Style”.

19. VOR says:

Oilleak,

Being thin on D in the AHL and not having prospect depth on defense in your system are two totally separate things. The Oilers are loaded with D propsects, they just aren’t playing in the AHL. Some of the Oilers prospects are at training camp for the NHL team, some are in college, some are in Europe, some are in the CHL.

20. digdeepnbleedblue says:

I think this is a good deal. Additions like this can only help in the quest for post season inclusion. His stat line is not impressive by any stretch, but his tally of hits is going to help this team if he can rinse and repeat. That kinda stuff keeps others honest entering your own zone.

As for trading Peckham because he has the same (lesser at this point) skill set is wrong imo. Depth helps any team not trying to sell the farm.

I agree that a 3rd is steep, but you gotta give to get. I’m actually really stoked and think Tambo did a reasonable job here. Maybe I’m easy to please. You should see my Xwife! Maybe it’s because hockey is back and winter has just become more bearable. Whatever it is I can’t wait to see the new toy out of its box.

21. Gerta Rauss says:

OilLeak,

I think the Fedun recall was to just get him in camp and get to know the guys and what the coaching staff is expecting of them.OKC doesn’t play until Friday and I’d wager that both Fedun and Teubert are in the lineup Friday night.

I think it’s a bit of a tell as to how the org views the depth chart and first injury callups.

I think Fedun is #10 on the depth chart

1. smid
    2. Petry
    3. Schultz
    4. Schultz
    5. Whitney
    6. Fistric
    7. Peckham
    8. Potter
    9. Teubert
    10. Fedun

every chance he plays in the NHL this season.

23. Gerta Rauss says:

I’d agree – that list is spot on.

24. Gerta Rauss says:

digdeepnbleedblue,

Well,we’re getting into waiver eligible players now-both Potter and Peckham have to clear. Potter might pass through with that 2nd year on his deal but the verbal from Tambi today shows Potter is held is high regard by the org because he plays right D and his PP history. I think Peckham gets picked off waivers because he’s been touched by the hand of god(Don Cherry). With Teubert and Musil bubbling under and Fistric the newest edition(all players I consider as comparables)…well….that leaves Theo a little exposed.

25. Rebilled says:

This looks better than Vancouver adding Foster and Vandermeer.

At least we got two defencemen in the off-season…

26. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Gerta Rauss,

Good point. But I’m leaning more towards Lowetide’s depth chart. Why? I think J. Schultz, Whitney (seems ok now, or ok-ish) and Petry have better skill sets for a PP role. Teddy brings a lil’ of that crazy into the equation where as Potter doesn’t. Unless you count stepping on peoples faces with skates. But who knows!

27. Henry says:

I think Fedun is #10 on the depth chart

1. smid
    2. Petry
    3. Schultz
    4. Schultz
    5. Whitney
    6. Fistric
    7. Peckham
    8. Potter
    9. Teubert
    10. Fedun

every chance he plays in the NHL this season.

If Whitney is actually back to form, he can slot to #1 with Petry in a pairing with a great puck mover and a great skater. Smid with J. Schultz complement each other as a #1 pairing in waiting. N. Shultz is the only left shooting guy on this team I’ve seen play well on the right side. He can play with Fistric as a pretty nice 3rd pair.

I really hope Whitney’s ankle healed.

28. Captain Happy says:

Rebilled:
    This looks better than Vancouver adding Foster and Vandermeer.

At least we got two defencemen in the off-season…

Vancouver got 3.

Jason Garrison.

29. FPB94 says:

Says a lot about the sad state of the Oilers’ defenses when people are talking miles about dudes like Fistric, Garrisson, Foster etc

30. justDOit says:

Rebilled:
    This looks better than Vancouver adding Foster and Vandermeer.

At least we got two defencemen in the off-season…

They added Barker and VanD. Foster signed in Philly.

31. Suntory Hanzo says:

Yar!

32. jake70 says:

I pretty much like the trade. What’s up with Peckham? Hurt?

“Just saw that you can get Seasons tickets for the Florida Panthers for 7$ a game. Comes with free parking and a Panthers Home Jersey.”

Now THAT is some serious, serious HRR.

33. Lewko says:

Was reading the tsn article on Schultz and they report Oilers website has J. Schultz listed @ 6’1 163. That weight can’t be right can it? Must be a typo on the website. Any thoughts here fellas?

34. Rebilled says:

justDOit,

justDOit,

Meant Barker! Foster would be an upgrade!

35. kurri_17 says:

The Mark Fistric Collection on youtube is awesome:

I like what I’m seeing… he knows how to hit with his elbows low and lowering his center of gravity, seems very strong. I’m judging based on a small sample size, but if they are serious about making the playoffs and improving, filling out the bottom 6 with a guy who can hit and doesn’t spend half the game in the box for meaningless penatlies (a real problem the last 5 years) seems like a worth while use of a 3rd. Like many have said, filling the role with a real NHL defenceman (albeit with flaws).

36. Captain Happy says:

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford

For those who haven’t heard, NHL Center Ice will be free from Jan. 19-31, then cost $49.99 for remainder of 48-game season (residential).

37. OilLeak says:

VOR:
    Oilleak,

Bigos may walk,
    Simpson – Years away from knowing what he is capable of, foot speed also an issue
    Laleggia – Small for a defenseman, long shot at best
    Kelfbom, season ending surgery, and has had injuries piling up as of late
    Gustafsson – Still playing Swe-2 drafted as an overager and next to nothing is known of him.
    Gernat, shoulder surgery, losing important development time
    Davidson – Testicular Cancer, but some decent early returns.
    Marincin – Up and down season in OKC. Has the skill to be a force at the pro level, but is still very erratic
    Teubert – Is now in his 4th professional season, and still struggling in the AHL, has not shown anything except for a decent physical game.
    Musil- A possibility he sees NHL duty next season if only for a few games, foot speed is an issue

A team can have a lot of prospects but if half of them can’t even be considered legitimate prospects then there is no real point of keeping them in the conversation. Looking at the above list, a lot of the “quality” defensive prospects have already sustained serious injuries, and may have a tough time making up for it. If the hope is that the Oilers defensive woes will be solved by several of these prospects emerging to fill NHL roles in the near future I just don’t see it, many of them have suffered terrible injuries and/or are years away from making an impact.

I know I’m sounding a bit pessimistic, but I think sometimes as fans we overate our prospects, hell I thought Pitlick and Hamilton could be possible 2nd/3rd liners in the NHL in the not too distant future. Instead they have been struggling with depth minutes in the AHL.

38. OilLeak says:

I think Fedun is #10 on the depth chart

1. smid
    2. Petry
    3. Schultz
    4. Schultz
    5. Whitney
    6. Fistric
    7. Peckham
    8. Potter
    9. Teubert
    10. Fedun

every chance he plays in the NHL this season.

And that’s a cause for concern, considering he’s trying to revive his hockey career he should spend the whole season in the AHL without interruption. Our defensive depth is going to test our patience… again.

39. FPB94 says:

Oileak: I would hope he’s fine by now; I really liked the kid at TC last year.

40. jp says:

Lewko:

It’s old info. He’s listed at 185 on both the AHL site and on the Wisconsin Badgers site from last year.

41. jp says:

Captain Happy:
    Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford

Good to know.

42. Dominoiler says:

I love this deal, despite the relatively high price of a third (according to the compelling opinions around here).. There isnt a third round pick around that can come in and contribute to the D (in such a great, gritty way!!).. am stoked to see how well he fits in to the D!!..

43. Captain Happy says:

Rick Ball to replace Jim Hughson on HNIC western broadcasts.

Hughson moves into the big chair in Toronto.

Ball is the former radio play by play guy for the BC Lions and Vancouver Canucks.

Ball’s good, Hrudey is excellent imo. Hughson’s been on the lead broadcast for some time now, but someone at CBC can’t stop answering the Bob Cole phone.

45. Captain Happy says:

Hrudey and Ferraro easily the best analysts in the game.

Nice that we get both.

46. KitchenerWatcher says:

47. Captain Happy says:

KitchenerWatcher:

#drewdoughty

#getoverit

48. Captain Happy says:

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office confirmed Monday night that it had received 17 human specimens that were found at O’Hare International Airport on Monday.

Sources said the specimens are human heads, still covered in skin.

Authorities said no foul play was suspected.

49. Gerta Rauss says:

KitchenerWatcher: Wanted: Mad scientist able to combine J. Schultz and Fistric into a single 230lb hitting, shot blocking, scoring machine.

…paging Dr Hfuhruhurr…a white courtesy phone for Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr…

50. BONVIE says:

Captain Happy,

Craig Simpson is easily the best along with the best play by play Jim Hughson.

51. FPB94 says:

Hughson has a nice voice. If you ignore his ‘Nucks bias.

52. HBomb says:

Captain Happy: The Cole phone will go dead about 12 seconds after TSN outbids CBC for the HNIC rights.

What is “The Day that Cannot Come Soon Enough?”

Seeing TSN do broadcasts on Saturday night through the CTV network (a la what ESPN does with ABC in the States for College Football) will be a welcome occurrence, assuming they don’t fall into the “we HAVE to show the Leafs every freaking Saturday as the national early game unless Pittsburgh is playing Montreal” trap. Yes, I know that there’s money involved for sponsorships, but still…

53. Ducey says:

Not sure anyone mentioned it but Whitney was flying at practice today. He beat Hall in a speed drill and schooled Yak. On top of that he was chirping everyone. He seems very happy.

Its early but he looks like his old self.

Hall jammed his hand and took a puck in the ear. Hope he lasts the week.

54. BONVIE says:

Hopefully we sign Arnott before the Canucks do.

55. KitchenerWatcher says:

Regarding Fistric vs a 3rd rounder on value:

Isn’t this the team’s dream come true? A big guy who can play 10+ minutes and isn’t a liability. Why role the dice on drafting another coke machine winger when instead you get a sure thing in Fistric who doesn’t steal roster spots from our talented wingers?

—-

Extra thought: this may help management keep Smid’s contract reasonable. With another big #’s blocker and hitter on the roster, Smid’s #’s won’t stand out from the crowd as much. His leverage as a one-of-a-kind is reduced.

56. FPB94 says:

KitchenerWatcher:
    Regarding Fistric vs a 3rd rounder on value:

Isn’t this the team’s dream come true?A big guy who can play 10+ minutes and isn’t a liability.Why role the dice on drafting another coke machine winger when instead you get a sure thing in Fistric who doesn’t steal roster spots from our talented wingers?

—-

Extra thought: this may help management keep Smid’s contract reasonable. With another big #’s blocker and hitter on the roster, Smid’s #’s won’t stand out from the crowd as much.His leverage as a one-of-a-kind is reduced.

This dude can’t play pass the blue line.

57. Ducey says:

I don’t mind giving up a 3rd as we have two 2nds

58. Captain Happy says:

FPB94: Isn,t a liability? You realise the dude has 2 freaking points all year right? That’s less than Smac or offensive scrubs like Mike Komisarek.

This dude can’t play pass the blue line.

Jim Vandermeer would be a (slight) upgrade,

59. KitchenerWatcher says:

FBP94: That’s fair. I’m thinking “not a liability” in terms of PIM, yet a guy who still hits hard & often. +/- remains to be seen.

Note I said “the team’s dream come true”, where that seems to includes coke machines. I’m not defending the dream.

60. Gerta Rauss says:

We didn’t bring in Fistric to score goals.The team had a need and they filled it….it’s a nice pick up with little risk-at worst they get 48 games out of a bottom pairing defenceman.

61. stevezie says:

I know I was over the moon earlier today, but I have come down since. Fistric is still a nice player, but what this team really needed was a top-4 guy. Defenceman get hurt- it just happens. Right now if a top 4 guy goes down we are counting on Whitney being able to fill that role. We’re fine if he can, boned if he can’t. This trade doesn’t change that.

The team is better, but like the man said: keep shopping.

(These calculations are based on the Schultzes being up to top 4 minutes and Fistric not suddenly turning a corner.)

62. prairieschooner says:

My inside baseball guy was happy that the third rounder was this year rather than next because the draft is weak this year.
    I like the deal as it improves the Oilers on the blue and makes them tougher to play against in the corners

63. stevezie says:

So much depends upon Whitney’s foot. Maybe they want to take a week-long look at Whitney’s skating before making a brash move?

(Potter reverting back to 2011 form would also change everything. I don’t know if he gets enough credit(?) for being the question mark he is.)

64. spoiler says:

Captain Happy posts so much about everything that I’m beginning to wonder if he might actually be the same poster as another compulsive-obsessive friend of ours.

65. spoiler says:

I like the deal. Couple of reasons. First of all, it’s defensive depth and in a year when we have two 2nds, it means we’re not really giving much up, but still serious about the playoffs. The playoffs are now a goal. A 4th rounder is probably more of an even payment, but I also presume we had to get Dallas to make the deal, so I think fair value overall.

And the other half of that go-for-the-playoffs-tell is that Tambo shows that he can get the little things done when crunch time comes to crunch time. That bodes well. It’s not everything, but it is an up arrow for our GM. The Peckham injury had to be dealt with.

Yet, we abide.

We’re beyond the point of BJ McDonald and Brett Callighen. Kurri, Anderson, Messier, Coffey are all in place. Fuhr has yet to be found. Now what?

66. bookje says:

spoiler:

It took LT about 3 posts to recognize him and call him out about 3 weeks ago.

67. dessert1111 says:

I think Fedun is #10 on the depth chart

1. smid
    2. Petry
    3. Schultz
    4. Schultz
    5. Whitney
    6. Fistric
    7. Peckham
    8. Potter
    9. Teubert
    10. Fedun

every chance he plays in the NHL this season.

I think Potter is 7 and Peckham 8, and though Teubert and Fedun are probaly 9 and 10 respectively, that could change depending on how the rest of their seasons go and who the injured players they would be replacing are. For example, makes more sense for Fedun to be called up to replace Potter and Teubert for Fistric.

68. Beaker says:

DSF,
    When is Garrison supposed to be out until? Is he starting the season or???

69. Beaker says:

bookje,

Lol is every comment with his old tag taboo now? everyone avoids saying his name.

DSF is moderated. If you use DSF in a post it will be held up. I haven’t done that to Captain Happy.

71. Beaker says:

*Nods gravely*

Understood.

72. Captain Happy says:

Beaker:
    DSF,
    When is Garrison supposed to be out until? Is he starting the season or???

Apparently fine and is back skating with the team.

73. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think the addition is welcome even assuming Sutton and Peckham were ok to play. We need D depth. With Sutton and Peckham out (and more coming) it was an essential move.

It’s no panacea, but it was necessary.

prairieschooner:
    My inside baseball guy was happythat the third rounder was this year rather than nextbecause the draft is weak this year.

This is the first I’ve heard the draft year is weak. Everything I’ve read and all the hype at the WJC was that this year was exploding with talent…

at any rate, we’ve got two round 2s and he can always be flipped for a pick at the deadline, if he either won’t sign, someone else comes in or gets healthy, or we are lost to the playoffs.

Captain Happy:
    Rick Ball to replace Jim Hughson on HNIC western broadcasts.

Hughson moves into the big chair in Toronto.

I don’t know… Ball always irritated the hell out of me with his sports reporting for CFAX… he had some stupid tag line: “That’s ‘On the Ball’ (dramatic pause)… I’m Rick Ball!”

perfect hathos moment.

74. spoiler says:

bookje: It took LT about 3 posts to recognize him and call him out about 3 weeks ago.

This is obviously going to come as a shock to you, but I’ve actually been around these parts for the past three weeks.

75. MOAR OILERS, You Say!? « says:

[...] see what Lowetide says after he thinks about it for twenty-four hours. And he pretty much nails it here and then a day later here. Robin Brownlee chips in his two cents over at OilersNation here, and [...]