HALLELUJAH!

As I write this, 5am Jan 6, the NHL and NHLPA have reached an agreement. Thank you Jesus, Mary and  Joseph for bringing us Mediator Scot Beckenbaugh. I’m a little emotional so I’m going to spend a couple of hours calming down and will be back with a quick look at the Oilers 12-13 later this morning. For now, it’s ON! and can your kid play defense?

41 Responses to "HALLELUJAH!"

1. coolwasabi says:

The NHL and NHLPA deserve all the blame in the world… but it’s best to just move on and focus on the hockey.

I think we’re going to see a lot of strange things with the new CBA and shortened season. You HAVE TO think that a short season will benefit the Oilers because of the OKC boys. Even the Spengler Cup should help a bit. But who knows.

I AM EXCITE

2. BrazilianOil says:

Can we start to speculate about next Tambellini moves, please??

The Oilers activity starts and ends with the blue imo.

4. DeadmanWaking says:

For about the last week the smoke signals were trending from black to grey–a far cry from the soot thunderclap from The Little Engine That Couldn’t which set this whole process in motion.

People are already saying there are no winners in the ugly aftermath. I’m not so sure. A bad CBA is a festering wound. Here’s hoping that a painful childbirth delivers a healthy child with a gender-appropriate limb count, with placement and proportions that Leonardo would willingly sketch.

Until I see the details, I’m concerned that the garrote wire hypoxia of the looming cancellation (face popping on both sides) baked into the frozen icing another rut to die on at the earliest intermission.

Of course, I might be dead by then. Or not. Worst case scenario, I could yet survive another fist full of gap-toothed decades.

5. speeds says:

We don’t have all the details yet, obviously, but one of the rumored changes was performance bonuses not counting against the floor. If that is the case, EDM actually has to spend a couple million dollars just to reach the floor, so maybe they look at tossing some money at one of the top UFA D available – from looking at cap geek, I think that might be someone like Brett Clark, Campoli, Spacek or Eaton. Or trade, with them picking up some money.

Interesting, speeds. I just posted the cap numbers without any bonuses over at ON and got $57,758,000

G Nikolai Khabibulin $3.75M
    G Devan Dubnyk $3.5M
    D Ryan Whitney $4M
    D Nick Schultz $3.5M
    D Justin Schultz $2.85M
    D Ladislav Smid $2.25M
    D Andy Sutton $1.75M (likely to spend season on IR)
    D Jeff Petry $1.75M
    R Jordan Eberle $1.158M
    L Ben Eager $1.1M
    L Teemu Hartikainen $875k
    L Darcy Hordichuk $850k
    L Lennart Petrell $825k

7. BrazilianOil says:

Any thoughts about one trade for a better blue which make sense for you?

8. speeds says:

for the guys with big performance bonuses, you’re counting the bonuses instead of the salaries which are 900 or 925K for the 4 guys.

EDM drops 11.4 mil against the cap just between Hall, RNH, Schultz, and Yak for purposes of calculating the floor, if that is in place for this season.

I think they need a strong top 4D option, don’t know if that’s available at this point–chaos rules right now I’m sure. I always wanted a guy like Mark Streit, an expiring contract and someone who could help move the puck up the ice. I’d also like Bouwmeester but that’s a summer move. Lydman is another expiring contract and a guy I’ve always liked.

So it would look like this?

G Nikolai Khabibulin $3.75M
    G Devan Dubnyk $3.5M
    D Ryan Whitney $4M
    D Nick Schultz $3.5M
    D Ladislav Smid $2.25M
    D Andy Sutton $1.75M (likely to spend season on IR)
    D Jeff Petry $1.75M
    R Jordan Eberle $875k
    L Teemu Hartikainen $875k
    L Darcy Hordichuk $850k
    L Lennart Petrell $825k

$49.75M cap?

11. speeds says:

Never mind LT, I see on TSN now that the cap range for this year is technically 44-60 mil, but teams are allowed an exemption to spend up to 70.2, so they are already at the floor.

But, you could also probably add Danis, and can definitely add 1.5 mil for Souray’s buyout.

ah, gotcha. Thanks, speeds

13. russ99 says:

While I’m overjoyed at the prospect of Oilers hockey in less ttha two weeks, both sides need to go a long way to make this up to the fans.

At least this a 10 year deal, so no more lockouts until then, and maybe Bettman and Fehr are doing something else by then.

Will be interested to see what kind of moves the Oilers make both now and this summer with the Amnesty buyouts on the table.

Probably be another boring in-conference shortened schedule, and If so, I’d like to see some improvement in the bottom 6 along with that extra defenseman.

Also, any word on realignment being part of the new CBA yet?

14. Marc says:

The most intriguing thing about the next week or two will be seeing if the teams that will need to trade/buy out guys to get under the cap next season and the season after do so now, or after this season.

The $70M cap this season means that teams don’t have to move now, and with a shortened season teams may be tempted to hold on to their expensive vets in the hopes of making a playoff run. On the other hand, you would think that those vets will fetch more in a trade now than they would at the end of the season when a glut of sellers and newly bought out veteran free agents should make it a buyers market.

And for a team that’s looking to add a vet or two like Edmonton, when is the right time to buy? Do you pay a premium to add now, knowing that the team may only be a vet or two away from being a playoff team, or do you wait till the end of the season when there are more likely to be bargains to be had?

My best guess is that Tambellini trades for D now, then trades/buys out Horcoff at the end of the season, and replaces him with a cheaper centre from the free agent pool.

15. speeds says:

LT: Kulikov, Del Zotto and Subban are all currently RFA’s, any chance you think EDM goes that route? Would you?

I don’t think EDM would successfully get any of the 3 – MON won’t be cap pinched after Gomez buyout/trade/whatever, FLA has no cap pressure and I’m sure looks at Kulikov as a key player going forward.

NYR is team most likely to be cap pinched, but I’m not sure EDM would want to spend on Del Zotto what they would need to to get him from NYR.

Options don’t look great for an offer sheet before the season at all, IMO. I suppose someone might go after Benn or O’Reilly, but it’s kind of the same problem there as well.

16. speeds says:

Marc,

I kind of think they’ll do nothing now, but look to trade for a D if the Oilers are in playoff contention after 20 games. And I also think they’ll buyout Horcoff this summer, even though I quite like the player – just saves too much cap space to ignore that option if they are comfortable with spending the actual money on it.

17. spoiler says:

Horc should be tradeable this summer. No need for a buyout if they don’t want him.

speeds: Agree on Horcoff. I think they’ll try to add a defenseman right away though, the depth chart is pretty lean.

19. spoiler says:

Oh, I forgot to add:

HOOOOOOOOOCCCKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. speeds says:

spoiler,

Yeah, if they can trade him, sure that’s a more palatable route, but if you’re Horcoff, you have a NMC until end of 12/13 (or is it July 1, 2013, that could end up being an important detail due to waiver implications). Maybe you block any trade, hoping to get bought out, thinking you could then sign wherever and make the same (or more) money, vs. accepting a trade?

He still has a NTC for 2013/14, but if you knew a team wanted him and was willing to claim him on waivers, you could go that route provided the buyout window is open after the NMC on his contract lifts.

21. spoiler says:

Yeah, don’t know how long that buyout window is open. Also, will the amnesty buyouts use the same formula, but not apply to the cap? I don’t think we know for sure yet.

It would be interesting to see what kind of team guy Horc is, if he is presented with a trade, would he waive his NMC, or, if the amnesty buyouts use the same formula, take the buyout and almost certainly make more money next season (on a cap basis, not necessarily nominal basis)?

22. sliderule says:

I would assume Hall and Ebs will not be playing for OK city this afternoon.

The weighted lottery might help us as Tambo so far has the touch of gold.

23. spoiler says:

Speeds, I also believe they’re changing the FA dates for this summer only, due to the later finish and I imagine that change would be grandfathered into existing contracts.

24. speeds says:

spoiler,

yeah, but would that change in FA dates also change the day the NMC expires?

25. spoiler says:

I’m thinking trade window reopening, FA, etc would all change and the existing contracts would have to follow or they would make no sense.

26. sliderule says:

Tsp says free agent date stays at July1 except for this season because of late end to season.

27. sliderule says:

TSN not tsp elfin spell check.

28. spoiler says:

Does Luongo get traded now, or bought out? Do they keep him till the summer?

29. speeds says:

Interesting possible CBA tidbit: @KatieStrangESPN reports that the rule limiting a contract year to 50% of highest year only applies to the last year of the contract, not all contract years as I had thought.

30. spoiler says:

Speeds, you should read the TSN main article, it has all that. 35% variance year to year. Last year can’t be less than 50% of highest year. 7 yr max term, 8 if it’s your own player.

31. speeds says:

spoiler,

It says that now, but I don’t remember it saying that before, and I don’t remember that being what they’ve been saying on the air – I could certainy be misremembering though, I’ve been flipping around channels and skimming a number of articles, twitter, etc. It actually makes a pretty significant difference in terms of contract structures allowed.

speeds: I didn’t see it until your tweet to Bob McKenzie, so suspect your memory is correct. tsn must have updated.

33. spoiler says:

speeds:
    spoiler,

It says that now, but I don’t think it said that before, and I don’t rememeber that being what they’ve been saying on the air.It actually makes a pretty significant difference in terms of contract structures allowed.

Ahh, sorry. It was there when I read it, but that probably was later in the a.m.

Agree on the structure. Might see some second last year wizardry.

34. speeds says:

I did the math, here are two possible examples of the frontloading still allowed in this CBA, I used the example of a player who signs an 8 year, 56 mil deal. I didn’t know what the cap number would be going forward, so I picked 12 mil as the most in any season. And I calculated two ways (1) only allowed to drop 35% of the year prior (2) allowed to drop 35% of highest season:

1 $12,000,000.00 $12,000,000.00
    2 $12,000,000.00 $12,000,000.00
    3 $10,294,456.09 $12,000,000.00
    4 $6,691,396.46 $7,800,000.00
    5 $4,349,407.70 $3,600,000.00
    6 $2,827,115.00 $1,600,000.00
    7 $1,837,624.75 $1,000,000.00
    8 $6,000,000.00 $6,000,000.00

$56,000,000.00 $56,000,000.00

35. speeds says:

That compares to the following, which is more or less what things would have been if the lowest salaried year had to be at least 50% of the highest salaried year:

1 $12,000,000.00
    2 $8,000,000.00
    3 $6,000,000.00
    4 $6,000,000.00
    5 $6,000,000.00
    6 $6,000,000.00
    7 $6,000,000.00
    8 $6,000,000.00
    $56,000,000.00

Pretty big difference in years 2 and 3, and 6 and 7, so there still remains significant opportunity for big money teams to front load deals and ship the player out of town to a cap floor team in later years, which IMO still kind of defeats the spirit of the salary cap, but doesn’t in the same way as the player just retiring with years left at the end, I suppose.

36. Professor Q says:

Must suck to be Letang, he just signed with St. Petersburgh! There’s nothing better than St. Petersburgh…

37. Bushed says:

Am I the only fan who feels like Charlie Brown after the football got pulled (again)?

Sorry to rain on everyone’s parades, but as an out of town season ticket holder, the prospect of cramming tons of midweek games into a shortened season feels more like a punishment than a reward.

After the contempt shown to fans throughout this process by both sides, I would love to see empty buildings across the league for the first 3 games at least, to send a message to Fehr and Bettman. I know most of the seats are already paid for by season ticket holders, and I know the new deal is 10 years, but this whole process has been ridiculous. And after not having the season for months, how big a loss would it be for fans to sit out a few games anyway?

This deal could have been done in September if the summer hadn’t been wasted doing nothing.

38. Professor Q says:

^ Sounds like Pittsburgh as well…anyways, sucks that school, work and NHL hockey start all at the same time…I don’t know how much I’ll be able to see! Hopefully they either do well in the shortened season and make the playoffs, or get top 5 again…

39. Professor Q says:

Bushed,

I agree, I told my brother this morning that it was almost like they had it planned from the start to drag it out to the last days possible to try and “win” back fans…it obviously has done the opposite! He laughed at me for being a conspiracy theorist :)

40. Bushed says:

Professor Q,

Well, if you’re a conspiracy theorist, you had lots of company–the media have been circling dates in January as “drop dead” dates for months now, so….

41. raventalon40 says:

speeds:
    We don’t have all the details yet, obviously, but one of the rumored changes was performance bonuses not counting against the floor.If that is the case, EDM actually has to spend a couple million dollars just to reach the floor, so maybe they look at tossing some money at one of the top UFA D available – from looking at cap geek, I think that might be someone like Brett Clark, Campoli, Spacek or Eaton.Or trade, with them picking up some money.

Spacek retired during the lockout. I like the Clark idea though, nice calm presence.