I HAD TOO MUCH TO DREAM LAST NIGHT

There are times when being a fan of a team is very rewarding, and for this Oiler fan last night ranks up there with anything these eyes have seen. Not because the game was epic–the refs turned it into a bizarre theatrical with obscure references (who the hell knows the rules by number–that’s un-Canadian) and scenes that resembled Slap Shot–but because the final results bordered on the impossible.

Look, we know the script here. Gifted kids combined with secondary moderns in their late 20′s (plus Hemsky) and older men who have adjusted to being Reg Dunlop’s in this piece.

However, on the way to another loss where frustration and anger won the day, a few things happened:

• they did not fold, they did not give up the goal that would have killed them
  • Hall made tremendous plays all over the ice, including a late, goal-saving blocked shot and of course the turn around jumper that would end up giving a nice rebound for the tying goal.
  • Nuge was on fire, he’s really a splendid young player. As with Hall, great plays in all three zones and holy hell can he win puck battles. We’re going to be talking about him for a long time.
  • Yakupov‘s goal celebration obscured a solid effort for the young man. He had some chances, and his “God of Thunder” slap shots are still ringing in my ear. He’s not a hockey player, he’s a force of nature.
  • Gagner had the magic tonight, he and Hemsky with the kid is kind of thrilling–and it’s the 2line! The goal wasn’t a work of art but it counts all the same. Passing the puck is such an underrated skill and all of these gifted kids have it. Gagner had stellar moments at both ends of the ice.
  • Petry played all night to my eye and really performed well without Smid. Sometimes a defender can fall off without his partner, there was none of it last night. As he was carrying the puck out of harm’s way during one sequence, I was reminded that he once played LD for a time in OKC. Something to store away for a time when Edmonton has more than three RH shots.
  • J Schultz is an absolute gift. He’s adjusting to this level, but even at that the young man creates so much every night.
  • Fistric is a hammer, an absolute hammer. Bodies and sticks flying everywhere, and the best part comes when there’s no whistle for a penalty. Impressive first game.
  • Dubnyk. Goalies are people too, and for our man Devan this was a stunning comeback game. Giveaways happened with the regularity one expects from a group of youngsters, but DD handled all but the breakaway to  a sniper on this night. I don’t know who the stars of the game were, but I would have given him one.

YakupovCelebrates

Where do the Oilers go from here? Well, they are 2-1-0 in the new season and have a chance to put a hurt on Calgary Saturday night in the land of cows. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, the Flames are in such a bad frame of mind they’re considering bringing back a Sutter to improve the mood (not really), so its going to be a tough battle on the 2nd half of the HNIC game.

I think we’re down to a few items of need, though. Woodguy mentioned Mark Streit as a trade target, and that’s a nice item. If they could find a way to add a backup goalie under contract that cuts down on the work needed to do this summer and gives them insurance against Nik finding another malady.

For now though, lets just think about the beautiful goals, the great goaltending, the 2-1-0 record and the possibilities. I’ve had many times in my life where sleep escapes me, wish all of them were for this good a reason.

158 Responses to "I HAD TOO MUCH TO DREAM LAST NIGHT"

1. meanashell11 says:

Yes LT, you and me both. How sweet was that celly!

This from Colby Cosh @colbycosh on twitter:

Hand-counted EV Corsis for EDM-LAK. Only 4-14-93 & 64 were in pluses. Team hi Yak (12-7), lo Barbaro (9-18). JSchultz 14-14, Fstrc 9-11

3. DBO says:

Only caught last 2 mins of reg and OT. That was enough of a rollercoaster, almost regret all you lads having to go through whole game. The passion seems to be back in Oil country. AS for the Yakuov celebration, a huge smile hot my face when he did it. Pure joy from the kid. He is a breath of fresh air to Oil fans, and will be booed and targeted on the road. He brings a swagger i think the other kids will feed off of.

As for Streit. An upgrade on D is never a bad thing, but I really do think they’ll give Whitney 10 games before they look to make changes. Never saw whole game, but was he better last night with Fistric? A calming steady partner is a good thing for Whitney. And remember, he is a 3rd pairing dman now. He is never going to get 20 mins, so his impact will be lessened, and he still has a great breakout pass and can run the PP. I may be in the minority, but I’m happy to give him 10 games to see where he is truly at..

Gonna be a crazy and fun year. We may not win it all, but t will be damn exciting.

If we see that Whitney trend–and we’re likely to based on eyeballing–then we’re talking about a major reduction in salary and a shorter career for him. Damn. Fisctric’s number is outstanding based on the fact he played a lot with Whitney–Smid’s trip to the box probably helped him.

5. bookjLe says:

6. bookjLe says:

Horcoff and Smyth will get their legs going soon. They are playing their third game of the year.

7. DBO says:

How was MPS last night? And did Harti play physical? One of them is gong to sit Saturday i would guess, with Hordichuk drawing in and one is going down when Jones is back.

8. bookjLe says:

Is there anyone else who hates the ‘word’ celly – I mean what the hell is that? Some kind of British soccer term or something. A close second for me are people who sign emails with just their first initial – it just seems stupid.

B

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

WOW the Electric Prunes!

Good call LT!!

For the record though, I’m on the side of those who think their two albums with David Axelrod are their high point:

Yakupov…. “Holy are you”

10. khildahl says:

What a game. Willis helpfully pointed out that ref Kowal was involved in that Flyers game of epic officiating failure last year. Does he still have a job after this?

On a more positive note, Nuge and Gagner deserve a ton of credit for the winner. They both saw the smallest seam in the world opening, 89 got in position, and 93 made a pass we’d all be talking about if we weren’t so busy watching Yak’s replay over and over (that gif is pure gold).

khildahl:
    What a game.Willis helpfully pointed out that ref Kowal was involved in that Flyers game of epic officiating failure last year.Does he still have a job after this?

On a more positive note, Nuge and Gagner deserve a ton of credit for the winner.They both saw the smallest seam in the world opening, 89 got in position, and 93 made a pass we’d all be talking about if we weren’t so busy watching Yak’s replay over and over (that gif is pure gold).

Louise has been talking about Gagner’s brain since he arrived and the Nuge’s is still developing from what she tells me! When this group’s young end is about 22, look out world!

12. Ryan says:

Wow. Crazy game.

It’s funny but fans around the league have started to notice that the Oilers are the most entertaining show on the planet for hockey.

Yakupov’s ‘Celly’ and I hate that term too B, was epic.

13. bookjLe says:

Quote from Yakupov – “The fans was crazy,” said Yakupov. “It was probably my greatest feeling. We showed our heart. It was the best night in the world. I’ve never seen anything like this.”

I think this is the start of a beautiful relationship!

14. maudite says:

Jebus, the fans need to stand up and lynch mob any single reporter hell bent on riding Yak out of town for his personality. Kid can play. Kid is pretty excited and doesn’t hide it. Nothing wrong with that. It’s absurd how much negative press he’s already received from his hometown media. Get excited people and cramn the bs articles.

15. Mad Professor says:

I might be reading too much into this, or maybe its from watching that loop over and over, but it seems like Yak’s celebration is a purely spontaneous reaction, and then after his knee slide he looks up and sees that he is 200 feet from where he scored the goal and so proceeds to fall on his face in embarrassment. Whatever, I loved every second of it.

16. hags9k says:

Yakupov is a freakin matador. Matador Sixty-four. GOILERS!!

17. Ryan says:

Poor Ladi’s only 2nd in the league in PIMS. Who’s Ryan White?

18. Clarkenstein says:

Good for Dubnyk on a great comeback game! He had to be feeling the pressure. Gagner seems to be turning into something resembling a leader with these kids. Hope he keeps it up. Thank the Lord for Justin Schultz falling from the sky! Has Ales Hemsky played the last 2 games?

19. hags9k says:

Clarkenstein,
    Absolutely right on Dubnyk and Gags. At 23, and entering his 6th year, Gagner is certainly a candidate for the next captain. I still think it’s Hall but…

20. pboy says:

Just a few random thoughts from last night:

J Schultz- I didn’t think it would be possible for him to continue his scoring pace from OKC but he’s doing it so far. This kid has a gigantic brain.

Samwise- He was dangerous all night and it was great to see him get the winner in OT. For some reason I always feel good for him when he scores. Maybe the trade talk around him can cool off for a couple of days.

Yakupov- I thought the celebration was fantastic. I don’t like the scripted bullshit like Jagr’s salute or Ovechkin’s “too hot to touch stick”. Both teams felt like they were fighting not just against their opponents last night but against the officials as well. It was an emotional game and the disallowed goal and the crowd response had taken everything up a few levels. If he’s doing that in a 5-1 game, I would look at it differently.

Smid- I thought he got hosed last night but the one penalty I really didn’t understand was the Instigator with Visor call. Smid skated over to him but the other dropped his gloves first. So Smid was the instigator because he skated over and started talking but the other guy dropped his gloves before Smid. I think they good have left that one with 5 minute majors each and not call anyone for the instigator.

Dubnuk- Good for him, he played great and he quieted a lot of his critics last night. He’s going to have some rough nights but he did exactly what he needed to do after a poor performance. With that being said, so did the whole team.

Refs- Hopefully these guys are hearing from the League today, that was embarassing last night.

21. Henry says:

Yesterday’s game was certainly fun to watch and the ultimate result felt like justice. Behind it was a serious effort from both clubs and serious incompetence from the officials. That game was refereed so poorly that the league should look into it. 21 penalties, two waved off goals. Maybe it is no preseason for everyone, maybe someone is out of their league.

22. pboy says:

hags9k,

I think it will be Eberle. As long as that filthy Russian loses the K, it doesn’t matter who gets it….. :-)

23. Wolfpack says:

I was very surprised Yak was able to slide as far as he did on his knees considering the condition of the ice at that point in the period. Any of you math guys want to estimate the mass and velocity required for that accomplishment? :)

That was one of the strangest officiated games I have ever seen. Just bizarre. But full props to Dubnyk who played great all night in a wonderful bounce-back performance.

Watching Whitney play is really quite sad. He is a shadow of his old self in terms of skating. Can still execute those great break-out passes but his skating is really hurting him.

24. Wolfpack says:

I also liked how Fistric seemed to target Nolan for the rest of the night after Nolan’s hit on Eberle. Just clean, solid hits. That might have sent a stronger message than Smid hitting Nolan’s fist with his face right after the hit.

If a healthy Eager could play the game that Nolan played for LA last night, that is something this team really needs.

25. Dominoiler says:

Gagner has been a gem, you called it LT (and Louise too).. patience with this young man looks like it is going to pay off this year (unfortunately, also like you said, now its going to cost the oilers more to lock him up past this year).. ah well, good day to be an oilers fan..

26. jfry says:

Who is barbaro?

27. Romulus Apotheosis says:

pboy: Ralph Krueger- I was really impressed with his composure. It would have been pretty easy for him to lose his mind after the disallowed goal but he stayed calm and his team remained focused. I also love how he has included Gagner in the cluster. It feels like Samwise has been here for a decade already but he’s in the same age bracket as Eberle, Schultz the Younger, Hall, Nuge and Nail and I like that he’s seeing alot of important ice time.

I thought he was great too… some smart moves like Belanger in the final minute

but there was a moment where I thought he was going to strangle the nearest cat… he picked up a towel after arguing with the refs and motioned like he was going to throw it but instead took a second… wiped his forehead and moved on…

at another point I thought he was going to walk on the ice… he was this close…

still I was glad to see his energy and passion… but still keep from taking a bench penalty or embarrassing himself.

28. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“We are not amused”

Fleury called it the best 3rd game celebration.

But it was the best 2nd in-game GWG celebration.

Hard to see context when you’re looking down your nose, Staples.

29. Spanky60 says:

The refs were in trouble right from the start busy calling all the little stuff and as it turned out, all of it against one team.

When the league goes on these “call it tight” programs the ability for the officials to manage the game (i.e. call the big stuff and use discretion for the rest) is taken away and you end up with the cluster f$#Ks we witnessed last night.

The close up of Kowal and Kimmerly on TV while the beer cups were being cleaned up said it all – it was the look of two soldiers who were following orders and still had managed to find themselves in a shit storm. The look in their eyes was “we are so screwed”.

30. Clay says:

It’s been 6 years, 7 months, and 8 days since G6 of the 2006 finals. I’d argue that it’s been that long since there was anything close to the excitement of last night’s game.

Man, that’s a long time to wait, and a lot of shitty hockey to endure…

Maybe the hockey gods have come around finally?

(Cue the Nail Yakupov shoulder injury…)

31. mattwatt says:

I disagree with the Gagner goal not being pretty. To me, it was one hell of a play all the way through. Reminded me of a striker in soccer being hit with the ball in full stride. Few minutes before Gagner went through the middle of the ice towards the net, I was bemoaning to my girlfriend the fact that the power player had been too static. Someway had to start making cuts towards the net, get the Kings defenders moving more. Cue Gagner, cue RNH’s pass, cue goal. Sure not the craziest feat for a goal, but still a beauty if you ask me.

32. alice13 says:

LT,

You beat me to it :-)

One of these times Voxwah’s gotta figure out it’s for him, though.

Right?

33. justDOit says:

I know that throwing garbage on the ice is low class, but reading that Doughty got cheese on his uni – well that’s priceless and seems somehow appropriate with how the game was officiated. Thankfully the refs realized by that time that if they called a penalty for littering the ice, they would have needed military-style intervention to get out of the arena safely.

It was great to see that RK had enough time after Tuesday’s embarrassment to instill the borg-like mentality back into the players. With all the penalties and misconducts, players’ roles really changed from shift to shift last night, and they just kept rotating into place without missing a beat.

34. LMHF#1 says:

If we’re looking to add a piece or two, could Washington be a target? They’re off to a bad start again and need a shake up. Plenty of interesting players there.

35. Professor Q says:

Bohologo,

Is it not HYPES now that Schultz and Yakupov are in and Omark is out?

36. BlacqueJacque says:

And above all, what Yak did last night was a Celebration, not a “celly”. Iginla’s nod to the crowd and slightly elevated stick is a “celly”. Me winning 5 dollars on a $7 lottery ticket and half-smiling is a celly. Yakupov Celebrated.

37. khildahl says:

mattwatt,

That’s what I said. RNH’s pass was from another planet, through a crack that was open for less than a second.

38. Professor Q says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴,

I believe Fleury also stated that he loves seeing emotion after important goals, as well as being remembered by everyone. Yak should still have waited until Saturday, however ;)

39. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

I woke up about an hour after the game had ended (am in UK), straight away went to watch highlights. Was NOT expecting that!! Stunning no-goal by RNH and Eberle, would have been great… but as others have said, if that hadn’t been waved off then we wouldn’t have had the drama of Yak’s goal and incredible celebration.

Can’t wait for Saturday’s game. The first opportunity I’ll have had this year to watch a game, given the time difference.

40. SK Oiler Fan says:

“in the land of cows”
    Loved this line
    Wasn’t there some talk a while back about refs and/or their supervisors being interviewed and explaining some of thier calls after games?

41. fuzzy muppet says:

jfry:

Who is barbaro?

Whitney. It refernces a racehors that was close to winning the triple crown 7 or 8 years ago. He broke his leg in the last race (the belmont). They tried like hell to save him, but they had to put him down.

A fitting nickname for Whitney. He’s a good old horse, but he can’t run anymore

42. spoiler says:

I think we were pretty close to both a Fistrick and a Yaktrick last night, lol.

To tell you the truth, what impressed me the most in last night’s game was the commitment to backcheck. The kids especially were racing back hard and going deep into their zone to pick up checks. I thought the first two games everyone was cheating for offense a little too much, and not coming back hard enough or deep enough to cover for the Dmen when they stood the blueline and pressured the puck carrier.

Gagner had a far better game defensively. I have never worried about his offensive game, but sometimes he looks bloody stupid/lazy in his own end. Sorry, Louise.

Oh and the PK. That was a little bit good too.

Both the goalies should have been named stars. Outstanding performances.

43. bookjLe says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I thought he was great too… some smart moves like Belanger in the final minute

at another point I thought he was going to walk on the ice… he was this close…

44. jfry says:

Isn’t “celly” some sort of phone high school girls use?

45. justDOit says:

bookjLe: I noticed that as well, when he was standing at the bench gate – he was close to exploding!

It’s a good thing his Swiss – er, I mean, uh, Manitoban spirit came through and calmed him down.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

In case any of you are following this… Cherry’s biggest fan narrowly escaped being thrown from office just now:

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jfry:
    Isn’t“celly” some sort of phone high school girls use?

sounds more like an uptight prep-school girl’s name for her cello

48. Moose says:

There was a really subtle, but brilliant, play that Gagner made on the way to the net for the winner. If you watch it again, he drags his stick on the ice and pulls Scuderi’s stick out of the passing lane, and just then Nuge threads it on his tape perfectly. That’s is hockey IQ at its highest by both players.

49. FPB94 says:

You’l only score a bunch of NHL goals. Even if it’s a 1000, it’s still few relatively.

Go out there and celebrate each one of them. Because you never know what’l happen.

50. justDOit says:

jfry:
    Isn’t“celly” some sort of phone high school girls use?

I think it’s a song by Beyonce, but either way I never knew that I could hate a word with such passion as I do that one.

What makes me hate the word even more than just the way it sounds, is that it was inflicted upon us by the twitterverse and it’s character limit.

51. jonrmcleod says:

Oilers claim a Flyers goalie: Niko Hovinen.

52. fuzzy muppet says:

Who the hell is Niko Hovinen? minor league fodder??

53. hunter1909 says:

DBO: How was MPS last night? And did Harti play physical?

MPS made a play I think in the 3rd period where he was skating over the blueline with the puck and a King who tried to check him just bounced off his skates but I’m certain MPS didn’t even see it coming it was natural strength; unfortunately followed by his skating into the area to the right of the LAK goal where some bully nailed him once, then twice – Pajaarvi literally quit playing he looked like an 11 year old lol…

Speaking of which: After last night’s sensational game I’m giving the whole team a mulligan until game 25. That’s right, even Horcoff can do no wrong until mid point game 25, after being cool last night. Especially after I made fun of him.

@Lowetide: I was going to make all kinds of great points but you seem to have beaten me to enough to make me thank you for the post; other than for the fact i differ on the Gagner winning goal – That was a high skill goal by any measure; since most players panic, instead Sam just got stuck in like a Tasmanian Devil. That’s what he’s like after that goal anyway. A Tasmanian Devil.

PS: And Ryan Smyth was fantastic as a grizzled veteran presence. And Fistric…

54. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis: sounds more like an uptight prep-school girl’s name for her cello

55. BlacqueJacque says:

Well, his stats suggest a promising career as a Lacrosse goalie.

56. jonrmcleod says:

fuzzy muppet,

Yes, I would think so. Most notably he’s 6’7″.

57. Professor Q says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Atrocious. Same thing here in London with Joe Montana.

58. BlacqueJacque says:

Bahahaha the Yakupov celebration thread on CP is still going, over 250 posts now. You can taste the jealousy. 250 posts dedicated to arguing the merits of an Oiler rookie’s goal celebration.

59. Kris11 says:

You can’t send a claimed player down, right?

So is Danis headed down?

60. fuzzy muppet says:

Maybe they just wanted another Finn around to keep Hartikainen happy…

61. justDOit says:

Kris11,

You can send him down, but he has to go through waivers and you might lose him (see Chorney).

62. Ribs says:

Hmm…Didn’t the Flyers agree to terminate his contract? Strange.

63. justDOit says:

Ribs:
    Hmm…Didn’t the Flyers agree to terminate his contract? Strange.

Claiming a bought-out player – seems about right. What I don’t understand, is why they didn’t offer the Flyers ‘future considerations’ for him – that way he can be sent to the AHL if need be. It’s the Chorney situation all over.

64. RENNAVATE says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Bahahaha the Yakupov celebration thread on CP is still going, over 250 posts now.You can taste the jealousy.250 posts dedicated to arguing the merits of an Oiler rookie’s goal celebration.

Link? What website does CP stand for?

65. Rebilled says:

justDOit,

jfry,

‘Cali got gunplay, models on the runway
    Scream Biggie Biggie gimme One More Chance
    I be whippin on the freeway, the NYC way
    On the CELLY-CELLY with my homeboy Lance
    Pass hash from left to right
    Only got five blunts left to light, I’m set tonight’

A co-worker used to play this song (a lot) by the late Bigward Smalls on his way back to Cali.

66. Jordan says:

Step 1: Confirm that Dubnyk has the chops to play as an NHL Starter

Step 2: Claim a terrible goaltender off waivers

Step 3: Send Danis back to OKC so the team has a vet goalie again.

Step 4: Get Dubnyk a lot of NHL experience. Fast.

Step 5: Don’t let MA Bergeron anywhere near him.

Step 6: Stanley Cup

67. justDOit says:

Oh, and I loved Gags playing with grit last night. Keep it up Samwise!

68. BlacqueJacque says:

RENNAVATE,

Calgary Puck. It’s sort of the OilFans of the Flames universe – pretty much a Flames-only fan site, so you get a disproportionate amount of homers and willfully blind, and due to their recent sucking, an increasingly large amount of rabidly negative posters.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6 – the forum

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=123992 – the thread

69. striatic says:

Kris11:
    You can’t send a claimed player down, right?

So is Danis headed down?

I’d feel bad for Danis if he wasn’t being paid a relative fortune to play AHL minutes.

good signing.

the OKC kids need his help and he’ll play more and be paid just as much.

finally the Oilers treating their 3rd goalie right.

70. Matt.N says:

Jordan:
    Step 1: Confirm that Dubnyk has the chops to play as an NHL Starter

Step 2: Claim a terrible goaltender off waivers

Step 3: Send Danis back to OKC so the team has a vet goalie again.

Step 4: Get Dubnyk a lot of NHL experience.Fast.

Step 5: Don’t let MA Bergeron anywhere near him.

Step 6: Stanley Cup

Step 4.5: MVP to LTIR

71. BlacqueJacque says:

Is it certain that Danis is going down? I thought he showed some worth in the Sharks game. I don’t know how I’d feel with this waiver pickup backing us up in the second and third periods this past Tuesday night.

72. fuzzy muppet says:

I don’t think it will be Danis going down. It’s probably this Hoivenin character. Roy needs help on the farm

73. jonrmcleod says:

BlacqueJacque,

What is “CP”? (Edit: I see that was answered above.)

74. DeadmanWaking says:

BlacqueJacque: Can we not call it a “celly”? Celly sounds silly, celly sounds like silly, and celly reminds me of cell phones and cellos before it does celebrations.

I agree. A “celly” is one of those strange constrictions you get in your sleep–perhaps due to a mildly pinched spinal nerve–and you’re lying there musing to yourself “where did that come from?” when your squeeze intuits your wee perplexity and purrs “oooh look what you’ve got here” and then you’re using it and your visual brain is still going “hem, hem, hem … who left me out of the loop?” and you just go to your visual brain “well, get on it, if you feel left out, I’m doing just fiiiiine without you”.

The problem with the word “celly” in the hockey context is that ritualizes spontaneity. It conveys premeditation in a situation where it ought not be possible.

75. HeavySig says:

Good: Numbers that are trending in the right direction for the last few seasons in Finland: .896, .914, .921, .921.

Bad: Those numbers got him a Flyer contract but he wasn’t good at the Phantoms training camp and ended up in the ECHL.

Probably as good as our other long-shot Euro goalies, but can’t see him as being anywhere close to playing in the NHL.

76. Jordan says:

Matt.N,

Maybe – but I don’t think so. The issue with NK is that they still end up paying him, whether he’s there or not. I think that right now, he’s not able to play, but if the plan is to play Dubnyk come hell or high water, if NK is healthy enough to be a benchwarmer…. he’d be cheaper to play as the bench warmer, because then they wouldn’t need to pay their other replacement anything – he gets waived, and either bought out, or sent down to OKC fo see if he can do something at that level for us.

Good thought though – There’s no way we’d have these great young players without him.

77. bookjLe says:

Niko Hovinen! Niko Hovinen!

That’s awesome, I am a huge fan of Niko!

Who is Niko Hovinen?

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fuzzy muppet: Maybe they just wanted another Finn around to keep Hartikainen happy…

Maybe the Oil are trying to corner the market on long shot Finnish Goaltenders…

Add Hovinen to Tuohimaa and Perhonen

justDOit: As the father of a high-strung high school girl who plays the cello, and the owner of one very expensive piece of spruce and maple, I approve of that definition.

hilarious!

Me and the fiancee were in the bookstore the other day looking for presents for the nephews and I stumbled on this ridiculously catty looking series for tween girls… it was called “Ridgewood Estates” or something along those lines and all the covers had these super rich, perpetually disappointed, pretty but uptight girls glaring at each other in the most intense passive aggression… amazing!

Professor Q:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Atrocious. Same thing here in London with Joe Montana.

Not a Ford fan… but there is no way I could endure two years of faux-victimization whining if he lost the case… and the whole thing was chinzy anyway… and a by-election would have cost the city a pretty penny…

Fontana… christ! I lived in london during the Di-Cicco-Best years and thought things couldn’t get any worse than that…

79. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Have you ever seen a movie called “God Bless America”? It’s not what I would call a great movie (lots of niggly problems with it), but it provides a stinging critique on the current state of our culture, and is easily one of my all time favs. One of the secondary characters in it could be on the cover of that magazine.

80. Rebilled says:

12-13 Yann Danis SA: 14 GA: 0 SV% 1.000

10-11 Martin Gerber W: 3 L: 0 Assists: 1

Is Danis getting Gerbered?

81. commonfan14 says:

A random thing I enjoyed from last night was getting a little freaked when one of our PKers took a big gamble near centre ice that didn’t work out and took him out of the play – then feeling relief as I realized it was PRV and he effortlessly speeded back into the play like nothing happened.

82. striatic says:

as much as i’m looking forward to the Calgary game on Saturday, i know it isn’t going to be easy.

they haven’t played nearly as badly as their winless record suggests, and they actually put together a fine game against Vancouver – better in many ways than the one the oilers did.

against SJ, at least they managed to get the first goal and hit a lot of posts.

Oilers need to be thinking of themselves as underdogs going into this one.

83. Kris11 says:

Wait, if we send him down, won’t Philly reclaim?

Or is the idea that Philly really doesn’t want the kid, even for their AHL team, so we take him for our AHL team and they don’t stop us, and they clear a spot on the 50 man roster?

Maybe that is it.

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Haven’t seen it. I’ll put it on the list…

but check this out… I found the series… it’s called “Canterwood Crest” which tells you all you need to know about it… look at these covers… they are fucking perfectly hilarious:

“seething” is the dominant affect here.

these girls play “celly” after bitching about who’s dad has more money.

85. khildahl says:

Kris11,

You could be right. He either gets claimed or doesn’t, and the Oilers consequently either have him on the farm or don’t. Sounds like zero risk.

86. bookjLe says:

Kris11:
    Wait, if we send him down, won’t Philly reclaim?

Maybe that is it.

I think that is it.

87. striatic says:

bookjLe: Who is Niko Hovinen?

apparently he is a giant, 6’7″, Finnish monster with bad goalie stats.

88. dessert1111 says:

I remember thinking when Gerber went down they must be tanking the season. Only a few games but he soundly outplayed the other goalies in those games imo.

If this is the Oilers just taking a chance to put him on waivers and send him down to help the farm, it’s a good move with no real risk. If they think he’s a Danis upgrade his numbers suggest otherwise.

It’d be funny if the Oilers put him on waivers then the Flyers picked him back up to try to put him on waivers again…could it be a constant cycle seeing who will blink first??

89. justDOit says:

khildahl:
    Kris11,

You could be right.He either gets claimed or doesn’t, and the Oilers consequently either have him on the farm or don’t.Sounds like zero risk.

Unless you need body in OKC, then the risk is losing that opportunity to put a bum on the bench. Still not quite sure what to think about this move. Maybe they need a third-stringer to send the other way in an upcoming deal?

90. striatic says:

also, why pick up this guy instead of bringing Touhimaa or Perhonen over to play in OKC?

91. FPB94 says:

justDOit,

I absolutely loved that movie. Especially because it didn’t try to nag a generation or another.

92. BlacqueJacque says:

striatic:

against SJ, at least they managed to get the first goal and hit a lot of posts.

Oilers need to be thinking of themselves as underdogs going into this one.

Yeah, the Flames are still stinging from the 6-1 drubbing we gave them at the end of last season.

Cervenka is also in, and he actually should be the first “best player not in the NHL” who’s actually good. He out-scored Jagr in 2010 on the same team, and did significantly better than Frolov last year (Frolov was only 29 and still productive.) 40-50 points should be well within reach for him in an 82-game season.

93. hockeyguy10 says:

fuzzy muppet,

Actually it was the Preakness, 2nd leg of the Triple Crown. The Belmont is the third leg.

94. HeavySig says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

***shudder***

That’s in the “funny/scary/creepy” category if you ask me.

Last time I checked, my daughter was reading The Hobbit, again. I should give her a hug when I get home.

95. Bob Arctor says:

niko-hovinen-flyers-roster-move
    Must be a move for the OKC or Stockton as Philly won’t be reclaiming him…

96. FrankenOil says:

Well, doesn’t this signify that maybe Nik is out quite awhile longer now? They wouldn’t be looking for AHL fodder if they were planning on sending Danis down in a couple of days.

97. bookjLe says:

Btw -LT – great blogpost title!

98. alice13 says:

FPB94:

What FPB said. If Yak never gets tired of scoring goals, I sure as hell am not going to tire of it either.

It’s scandalous. Bring it on.

I think some of that swagger is rubbing off on Gagner, too. Great to see the jam in him.

99. HeavySig says:

striatic:

1) He is here in NA and they aren’t

2) Last season SM-Liiga save percentages:

11 – Niko Hovenin – .920

28 – Frans Tuohimma – .898

Select Finland 2 save percentages:

20 – Samu Perhonen – .897

Of course Hovenin is older and further along the development path, but clearly the other two aren’t ready for the move to NA now. His numbers aren’t spectacular, but they aren’t that bad, at least until he got on this side of the Atlantic. It’s possible he could still get his bearings and be something in NA pro hockey.

100. HeavySig says:

FPB94:

Couldn’t agree more. Even an old traditionalist stick-in-the-mud like myself had a goofy grin on my face watching that celebration.

fyi: English contraction of will as in “You will” is “You’ll. Uses 2 “l”s.

101. delooper says:

Yakupov’s celebration makes perfect sense to me. He’s a kid that’s dreamed for a long time of trying to make it in the NHL. Scoring an important goal like that, it’s a pretty good early indication that he hasn’t made a major mistake with his choice of career! Considering the lockout and the inane politics with the Super Series and the NHL-KHL relations he’s been through, not to mention the nagging, second-guessing reporters with their passive anti-Russian attitudes, it’s nice to have a little *confirmation* once and a while.

102. DeadmanWaking says:

Did anyone notice I seasoned my celery soup with a frond of “celerity”? I could have opted for “celebrity” or “celibacy”. I’m often playing these little games under the covers, unsure if anyone is onto me. It’s hard to guess how many are sipping the soup then suddenly stabbing the air finger and having a “Tarragon!” moment.

We keep a copy of Lewis Thomas’s Et Cetera, Et Cetera: Notes of a Word Watcher on the bedside table. If I run out of unicorns or dragons to read my squeeze to sleep, we dip into one of the many short pieces from this small book. Thomas is deeply enchanted with the hidden resonance of language.

From his introduction, hardly half a page in:

DELIGHT seems, for reasons that are obvious on the face of it, one of the lightest words in the language, an airy breath of a word, all pleasure, luminous, lit from within.

But there is no lasting light in delight; its cognates carry soft warnings of the shadow just ahead. It is a transient word, here now, gone in a minute, nice while it lasts, maybe hard to remember clearly moments later. Some of the cognates, from the Latin delectare, to charm, allure, and delicatus luxurious, dainty, and Late Latin deliciosus, tell us what to expect in delight, but leave us with the sense that whatever it was, however delightful, delicious, dainty, and delicate, it most likely won’t last for long. Niagara Falls, said Gertrude Stein, is beautiful for thirty seconds. [I am myself also enamored by the post-Niagara matted-hair and cheese-melt rainbow, which optimally stretches all the way to Sunday brunch.]

The foreboding in delight comes from the Indo-European root–nothing at all to do with light, plain old IE lek, meaning a cord, a snag, a lure. … But only in Latin do the real cognates turn up: delecto, lacto, connected to allurement, seduction, teasing. Nothing about light, all about the pleasure of being ensnared.

That’s all I can reasonably inject under fairish use. It’s absolutely typical of every page of the book. Certainly not to everyone’s taste, but if you like this stuff, it’s a charming little snuff box.

The funny thing is–and this is hardly unusual–I didn’t even know I was riffing on “celerity” until I stepped away from the keyboard. It’s often after I finish writing that I have my “Tarragon!” moment.

I made a comment the other day about “banging on the opaque source [inside myself]“. The weirdest thing about it–which you soon notice once you develop the knack of listening to the ants rustle and letting it flow–is that it has surprising depth. It’s not an isolated whisper, but an entire chorus: a chorus of the ancients and their amber echoes. (Note how “amber echo” puts “ember” on the breeze.)

Today the snare is hopping, and nobody is missing their chance to pile on. We know, we know, what Thomas knows.

103. geowal says:

For me this game reminded me at least in part of the ridiculous McGeough call against Horcoff for the phantom hand pass. Just as much emotion, anger, and littering of the ice, but last night had enough time left on the clock for a spectacular happy ending. Nice to be on the right side of one of those for a change.,

104. Gerta Rauss says:

dessert1111,

I think the way the waiver claim works is if the OIlers waived him and Philly re-claimed him, Philly then has the option to send him directly to the minors(like the OIlers did with Chorney last year)-he does not have to be waived by Philly again.

At any rate, I think the evidence supports the conclusions drawn here..Philly wants to free up a roster spot, and I doubt they put in a claim if the OIlers try to send him to OKC.

I’m OK with a Dubie/Danis tandem-anything to keep NK out of the crease is fine with me.

105. Lois Lowe says:

I enjoyed that game and it feels really good to be the team defending a ‘hot dog’ for once. Gagner’s celebration was pretty animated as well. Great game to watch during the powerpoint presentation on how to properly research legislation in last night’s class.

106. stevezie says:

Yakupov’s celebration wasn’t premeditated and it wasn’t hotdogging; it was pure, unadulterated joy. If you don’t like that then you don’t like joy.

I like joy. Huge fan.

107. fuzzy muppet says:

hockeyguy10,

I thought he had won the first 2 legs. I could be wrong. nonetheless, it’s a very fitting nickname for Whitney.

Probably time to put him out to pasture…

108. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie: I like joy. Huge fan.

I like Schiller too.

fuzzy muppet:
    hockeyguy10,

I thought he had won the first 2 legs.I could be wrong.nonetheless, it’s a very fitting nickname for Whitney.

Probably time to put him out to pasture…

In case you missed it… JW’s ON piece has a nice breakdown of his busted wheels:

109. justDOit says:

fuzzy muppet:
    hockeyguy10,

Probably time to put him out to pasture…

What we have to ‘put to pasture’, is our expectations of Whitney. Unquestionably he’s not the player he once was, but when you view him from the perspective of what alternatives the Oilers have in their system, he’s our Larry freekin Murphy (you know, couldn’t skate, couldn’t play in TO, but won a Cup in Detroit).

Good teams, and good coaches, make room for players like that. They put them in a position where they can succeed based on what they do well, and try to limit the exposure of their weaknesses.

Sure, if LoweBelTavish can find a suitable replacement/upgrade on Whitney, that would be super, but the league has been ravished by injuries to defensemen already in this young season. Detroit has already dressed two defenders who have no business being in the NHL, and now the Flyers are going to miss Meszaros for some time. The market price for defense is rising faster than Bre-X circa ’94.

110. BlacqueJacque says:

Anyone else just finally check the box score and realize that the Oilers outshot the Kings 39-31? That’s a hefty margin to beat the defending champs by, even if it’s padded by some injuries on their end.

111. hockeyguy10 says:

justDOit,

Total agreement,well put.

112. LMHF#1 says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Anyone else just finally check the box score and realize that the Oilers outshot the Kings 39-31?That’s a hefty margin to beat the defending champs by, even if it’s padded by some injuries on their end.

There can be no doubt, we played them tough. In addition to the 39, how many shots were blocked or tipped? If not for the strong LA defensive zone presence in the middle of the ice, this ends long before OT.

113. stevezie says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I like Schiller too.

114. LMHF#1 says:

stevezie: A hockey fan with education is like amule with a spinning wheel. Nobody knows how he got it, and darned if he knows what to do with it!

Close but no cigar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw

115. DeadmanWaking says:

Afterthought: The ember/breeze anagram debris is a mad fetch I couldn’t have jammed under deliberation in a month of Sundays. Mmmm, jam with cheese.

Sunday brunch: Baked Bree with a tarragon vinaigrette.

Baglor: I’m starving. We haven’t done nothing but roll around on maggoty bearskin for three stinking days.
    Roc: What about these? This looks tangy! Béarnaise All-Ova!
    Ugluk: The Beared-L’eggs are not for eating.
    Baglor: Roc, are you Jewish? I never noticed.
    Ugluk: Brooklyn?
    Roc: No.
    Baglor: Queenstown?
    Roc: No.

OK, I’ll stop now.

116. bendelson says:

What in the wide world of sports happened last night?

59 minutes and 55 seconds of absolute agony followed by…
    How did Jim McKay put it? Ah yes, the thrill of victory!
    Indeed.

117. Lucinius says:

Beyond context, however, I find it amazing people want to promote the personality lobotomies in the league, especially after a brutal lockout. Personalities sell the game. Additionally, some players lose their edge without it; look at Ovie. Ever since he’s dropped a lot of that raw, exuberant chaos aspect of his game he’s been on a sharp decline.

Whole thing annoys me, honestly. In the context of the goal, the celebration was fitting. Those who say otherwise, imo, haven’t a clue about sport, emotion, or how to market a business that is struggling against its competitors. These celebrations, so long as they are spontaneous, infrequent and fitting within the context of the game are a massively positive force for the league.

118. RENNAVATE says:

Lucinius:

Well said.

119. Scotty LaDouche says:

Did anyone else catch da Nuge breaking up 2 odd man rushes with some furious backchecking? While he normally adopts a less is more, dont put yourself out of position, lazy/efficient skating style , he really pumped his legs all the way down the ice to catch up to and completely negate 2 rushes. First time Ive noticed him wheel like that for more than 4 or 5 strides.

And the feed at the end, even a blindfolded Horcoff coulda cashed that.

120. BONVIE says:

I wonder if the Oilers are still looking at adding Bishop, to backup Dubynyk.

121. DeadmanWaking says:

Just before I said I’d stop now, insert the line:

Sunday brunch: Baked Bree-folk with a tarragon vinaigrette.

I changed my mind. Overt parallelism rocks.

122. Romulus Apotheosis says:

what did belanger say? I missed that.

123. hunter1909 says:

Scotty LaDouche: And the feed at the end, even a blindfolded Horcoff coulda cashed that.

Actually, no. Gagner got a brilliant pass alright but still had to take up to half a dozen whacks before the puck went in. Those weren’t crazy waving type wacks either – they were calculated by Gagner with black rat level precision to close down some mathematical model that only he can see. A real opportunist’s goal.

If Horcoff ever had to make that many goalmouth moves, he’d still be in Rexall Place.

124. Lucinius says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

He remarked that he wasn’t a fan of the celebration, but was an old school thinker and that he didn’t think Yakupov would do it again, according to a tweet from Rishaug. Rishaug also says that some Oilers were fine with it, some weren’t, but all love the enthusiasm he brings.

Edit: Should also note, the TSN.ca vote for the like/dislike on the celebration (“celly” is just dumb, that’s slang for one’s cell mate in prison) has it as 71.4% in favour, rest in disfavour with about 7800 votes cast. Similar ratio in a Sportsnet poll I saw earlier in the day (well earlier, admittedly).

125. khildahl says:

Noticed the Journal website has posted an article from the Herald sports columnist where he pretty much warns the Calgary fans they’re going to lose a lot to the Oilers this year.

Awesome.

126. CrazyCoach says:

bookjLe: For all of those of you who are sternly boycotting hockey this year to protest the lockout – enjoy the ‘watercooler talk’ today. I wish you the best of luck in your efforts. See you in a few games.

We’re all standing up to those jerks. Hell, the peanut vendors are standing up to them, and if I wasn’t one province over, I’d be standing up to them!

127. Ice Sage says:

Best finish since the Stefan / Hemsky affair. That old building will have lots of ghosts.
    2 thoughts in the sober light of day: 1. “Celly” has been in the hockey lexicon for several years and is text/twit-friendly, get used to it!… 2. Yak’s exuberance fit the moment but he’s set the bar pretty high already – how does he top it when he scores in playoffs OT?

128. khildahl says:

Ice Sage,

I’m pretty sure he’ll literally explode.

129. mick swagger says:

nope its. SHYNE. ..they have already lived up to the hype now there just shining and i think we can subtract prv and add the nuge i just thought of that one any thoughts?

130. Ice Sage says:

khildahl: Ice Sage, I’m pretty sure he’ll literally explode.

A kablooey celly?
    Original!

131. CrazyCoach says:

Lucinius: I find it interesting the spread of people who find the celebration by Yakupov a negative; primarily Eastern fans and older players (Belanger, as an example). Most hilarious is that most are basing it off of the highlight reels only, not the context of the game.

Yeah I saw Jarret Stoll saying they saw it and didn’t like it. If you don’t like it, do something about it next time you play, and I didn’t see a piano tied to your ass in OT either. Mind you, hard to do something when you’re sitting on the bench!

I like the celebration! Bout time we had a player with the excitement of Tik.

132. CrazyCoach says:

Ice Sage: 1. “Celly” has been in the hockey lexicon for several years and is text/twit-friendly, get used to it!…

What the hell is twitter friendly again? Damn kids! (just kidding)

Somewhere, Pat Quinn’s belt onion wilts a little more.

133. DeadmanWaking says:

If I’d written “Béarnaise à l’ova”, the pun on “all over” with the east-coast Jewish accent would be harder for the eye to scan. Then the whole Jewish thing would turn out to be a linguistic misunderstanding, and Roc would admit to being a saucier–a great saucier–from New Orleans and he’d nearly get eaten by a tiger while foolishly gathering mangoes on the banks of the river Nung.

True story: My brother–who had already seen it once–attended the film a second time seated beside my sister. Just when the tiger jumps out, he jabbed five stiff witch-fingers into my sister’s thigh just above the kneecap.

In the script, it reads:

It’s a motherfucking tiger! It’s
    a tiger, man! A tiger!

In that aisle of the theater it was loudly over-dubbed by my sister:

It’s my motherfucking brother!
    You’re an asshole, man. An asshole!

Never since when sibling malfeasance enters the general conversation is this moment neglected.

If you ever think to try this on a date who doesn’t remember this scene too clearly or perhaps has never seen it–are you sure you should be dating this chick?–you’ll have to follow it up with a heavy-duty romantic tear jerker for heart-rate recovery. Then maybe you’ll get the best of both worlds (fears and tears). That’s if you don’t lose an eyeball first. Hanging eyeball: Not romantic.

OK, I’ll stop now again.

134. hunter1909 says:

DeadmanWaking: OK, I’ll stop now again.

lol

CrazyCoach: Yeah I saw Jarret Stoll saying they saw it and didn’t like it.

Tough shit for Jarret Stoll. How popular does anyone think Glenn Anderson was throughout the 1980′s NHL?

What you’re hearing young DYNASTY 2.0 fans( I want something better than boring 2.0 but can’t think of anything), is the sound of green birds, furiously chirping – these blue shift former dinosaur wannabes represent your long term future as Oiler fans.

Think grade 8 – and you are suddenly at the exact same level of these idiots.

They sound terrified.

135. Professor Q says:

mick swagger,

I like it!

136. Ryan says:

Unreal guys… I’m at my new in-laws house tonight. 4 kids are playing street hockey on roller blades. This is south Florida. The world as we know it is changing.

137. CrazyCoach says:

Ryan: This is south Florida. The world as we know it is changing.

They were probably inspired by the Panthers raising their SE Division Champs banner at their home opener.

138. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“nope its. SHYNE”

mick swagger,

As in SHYNE box? Shultz is a fair upgrade over Robbie.

139. spoiler says:

DeadmanWaking:
    Just before I said I’d stop now, insert the line:

Sunday brunch: Baked Bree-folk with a tarragon vinaigrette.

I changed my mind.Overt parallelism rocks.

DMW, I’m concerned about these Sunday Morning Menages à Trois Midgets… Or are the nothing more than Ha! flings?

140. spoiler says:

Apologies to the folks of Bree, who claim to come full-sized. So to speak.

141. "Steve Smith" says:

Ice Sage:
    Best finish since the Stefan / Hemsky affair.

Because I’m like that: you remember that the finish of that game involved Edmonton losing in overtime, right?

142. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”,

Shootout, actually. But close enough.

143. "Steve Smith" says:

khildahl,

Really? I could’ve sworn overtime. It’s hard to keep the various crushing defeats straight, as an Oilers fan.

144. hunter1909 says:

“Steve Smith”: It’s hard to keep the various crushing defeats straight, as an Oilers fan.

145. Professor Q says:

“Steve Smith”,

I thought Hemsky scored in OT as well?

146. jake70 says:

hunter1909: Oiler fans are the twenty-five dollar crack whores of the NHL, and therefore cannot be counted on to remember anything other than last night’s takings for the man with the RR grille, that’s bolted to his purple with tiger stripes Detroit late model limo.

Hunter man, I must say when I am reading the comments and see your name is next up, I look quite forward to see what gem of a statement awaits me. Good stuff.

147. justDOit says:

stevezie:

I like joy. Huge fan.

Just heard LeBrun say that when he asked Tambi if mgmt was going to talk to Nail about toning it down a bit, ST replied that they can’t even keep him out of the rink – he spends all day there – so why would they try to curb his enthusiasm? He also mentioned that Yak’s teammates will eventually show him the way in the big leagues (paraphrasing).

148. Gerta Rauss says:

jake70,

Hunter has been on fire lately. Marv Albert on fire.

149. "Steve Smith" says:

Professor Q:
    “Steve Smith”,

I thought Hemsky scored in OT as well?

Definitely not – just in the dying seconds of the third to force overtime. The Oilers lost that game.

150. "Steve Smith" says:

Here‘s the summary from that game. Khildahl is correct that it was a shootout loss, not an overtime one as I had remembered.

151. Kris11 says:

Gerta Rauss,

He hasn’t bitten anyone, has he?

152. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”,

Wow. Petr Sykora. That puts it into perspective how long ago that was. Though I guess Bergeron and Smyth being involved in the play should have maybe taken me there sooner.

153. "Steve Smith" says:

khildahl,

I found Nedved’s presence somehow more jarring.

154. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”,

I’m getting old. I forgot all about him.