KINGS AT OILERS, G3 (12-13) 24.1.13

These two organizations will be forever connected by the Gretzky trade. The deal–in the opinion of many–changed hockey forever. Looking back on the days of summer 1988, the thing that stands out is the quotes from the principal players.

• Peter Pocklington: ”Wayne has an ego the size of Manhattan. ‘I understand that though. If people had told me how great I was day in and day out for 10 years, I’m sure my ego would be a pretty generous size, too.”
  • Peter Pocklington: ”He’s a great actor, I thought he pulled it off beautifully when he showed how upset he was. ‘I think he was upset, but he wants the big dream.”
  • Gretzky on Pocklington’s comments: ”I’m not going to get into a war of words with anybody from Edmonton. ‘But if that’s what he thinks, then I’m very disappointed. ‘I’m grateful for what the Oilers did for me for 10 years. I’m proud to have been an Oiler, and people who know me and are friends of mine know the statements aren’t true.’
  • Edmonton Mayor Lawrence Decore‘It’s like taking all the bridges away and saying, ‘Edmonton, this is what you’re going to look like.”
  • Los Angeles drew 452,248 fans to 40 home games last season, putting the team next to last in the 21-team league. (Detroit was No. 1 with 785,532; Edmonton was sixth with 678,270 and Vancouver was last with 440,095.)
  • At the news conference in Edmonton, Pocklington portrayed himself as a somewhat reluctant participant in the deal.

In later years the Oilers and Kings have done business, with Lubo, Ryan Smyth and the pick that turned into Oscar Klefbom the major players coming to Edmonton and Jarret Stoll, Dustin Penner and Colin Fraser heading the other way for the Cup rings. Its funny, the Gretzky trade shook the foundation but Lombardi’s gathering of Oiler talent for the big run is impressive in its own way. I’m glad the Kings won the Stanley, and was impressed when they brought back Rogie Vachon and Marcel Dionne to help celebrate it opening night.   A lot of people wondered why 99 wasn’t there, but for me bringing the old guard in was a reminder that champions and all time greats should never be measured by number of Stanley’s won. Greatness can exist on a mediocre or poor team, Oiler fans 92-now must know this to be true.

As far as I know, there won’t be any lineup changes tonight:

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Gagner-Yakupov-Hemsky
  • Horcoff-Smyth-Hartikainen
  • Belanger-Paajarvi-Petrell
  • Smid-Petry
  • Schultz-Schultz
  • Whitney-Potter
  • Dubnyk

One thing the Oilers need to do tonight is stay out of the penalty box. Especially early. The game was in peril by the time Taylor Hall took his second shift, that’s craziness. Also, with the Kings defense decimated, the speed demon forwards need to push on the forecheck and try to get their blue to make mistakes and take penalties.

The Oilers have two outstanding PP units. Can we mail one back to MacT a decade ago?

The Barons lines and pairings were interesting last night. With two new arrivals, I was interested in seeing who would get pushed down the lineup:

• Arcobello-Green-Cheechoo
  • Lander-Rajala-Pelss
  • Martindale-Byers-Tyrvainen
  • VandeVelde-Hamilton-House
  • Brett Clark-Taylor Fedun
  • Martin Marincin-Nathan Deck
  • Kane Lafranchise-Colten Teubert

The ‘AHL veteran’ line is joined on defense by newcomer Brett Clark (also and AHL veteran) and Taylor Fedun, the most capable of the Oilers D prospects this season. Its interesting to see Rajala-Pelss pushing through (and on a line with Lander) past the others, and both had good games (Pelss 5 shots, Rajala an assist and 4 shots).

Marincin had his best game in a long while and flew several sorties into enemy territory. He resembled the player we saw in the fall, and scored (1-1-2) for the first time in forever.

Olivier Roy stopped 33 of 37. If I had to guess about callups, I’d go with F’s VandeVelde and Arcobello, and Fedun and Teubert on D. Brett Clark may find his way into that conversation soon.

671 Responses to "KINGS AT OILERS, G3 (12-13) 24.1.13"

« Older Comments
  1. striatic says:

commonfan14: Coach K on Yak: “He’s watched a lot of soccer games.”

his celly was right out of a FIFA video game, except so much more awesome being on ice.

2. hunter1909 says:

Now that Yakupov’s scoring big goals and we no longer need to talk about his poor play anymore, what about Taylor Hall, who missed a lot of chances tonight? Is it too early to at least start considering the word “bust”?

If they act fast, they still might be able to trade him for some real value.

3. striatic says:

Sutter complaining about the debris being tossed onto the ice after the crowd had been warned, and not being given a PP as a result.

4. Amadeus says:

Wow. What an emotional game. So many ups and downs. The good guys won. Karma.

5. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909,

How drunk are you right now?

(I ask that with respect, obviously.)

6. BlacqueJacque says:

Ribs: Here ya go… http://theoddmanrush.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/YakupovCelebrates.gif

Beautiful. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a kid be so happy to get the big goal in … game 3. Granted, it was a huge goal, a revenge goal, but wow. You just know that at that moment, like 80% of Yakupov’s dreams came true.

7. Thor762 says:

The Kings were playing good tonight too. For the Oilers to come back and beat them it means so much more.

My dog was snoring next to me and probably damn near had a heart attack a couple of times at the end of that game.

I haven’t felt like that since the 2006 playoffs.

8. striatic says:

hunter1909: what about Taylor Hall, who missed a lot of chances tonight?

he assisted Yak on his shot off the blocker of Quick.

9. khildahl says:

Ribs,

Awesome. Just awesome. :)

Lois Lowe: slightly less bad?

Streit-Petry
    Smid-Shultz Younger
    Shultz Elder-Fistric

Much better.

11. striatic says:

BlacqueJacque,

that GIF misses the best part, where he lays face down on the ice for a couple seconds in apparent disbelief.

12. Lucinius says:

Well, all of TSN’s staff so far seem to be very pro Yak’s celebration. Ward saying he probably would of lost his pants if it were him.

Even Button liked it. No idea about Sportsnet, though….

13. Ice Sage says:

striatic,

Wiley old Vulcan, deflecting blame for the too-many-men penalty.

14. bookjLe says:

Where’s Captain Happy?

15. BlacqueJacque says:

Lucinius,

Kypreos will likely reluctantly restrain himself from shitting all over it.

Every damn time these Oilers got some momentum it was snatched away from them, the refs wouldn’t let the players play the game. I’m fairly confident that the Oilers would have lost in any season after the Cup run until this one.

Whatever you call it–skill, emotion, gumption, fate, luck, turning the corner, having enough actual NHL players–this was a terrific night and something to build on after the opener in Vancouver.

And the ‘lose your shit’ G2 was a solid wakeup call too.

Man. So. Saturday. :-)

17. BlacqueJacque says:

bookjLe:
    Where’s Captain Happy?

I thought DSF has been sent to greener pastures?

18. BlacqueJacque says:

Are you going to be peeking over at CP with me?

19. Kris11 says:

To: Canadian MSM Hockey Media

Re: Yakupov Goal Celebration

It ain’t bragging if you do it and you back it up.

It’s a game. Your supposed to be excited about winning.

Yakupov is my new favorite player, bar none.

20. striatic says:

Lowetide: Whatever you call it–skill, emotion, gumption, fate, luck, turning the corner, having enough actual NHL players

all of the above.

21. Lucinius says:

I think the last Oiler we saw that showed such raw emotion after scoring was Laraque, and Yak shows far more.. and will score far more.

What I loved was right after he scored he moved like he was going to go and do the jump into the glass move. Then, as if he remember some people jokingly chided him for losing to Galchenyuk in the height, he chose to emulate Theo Fleury instead (who did that before Yak was even born… and now I feel old).

Kris11:
    To: Canadian MSM Hockey Media

Re: Yakupov Goal Celebration

It ain’t bragging if you do it and you back it up.

It’s a game. Your supposed to be excited about winning.

Yakupov is my new favorite player, bar none.

Exactly.

BREAKING: SPORTS ARE FUN

Alright MacT, go get Streit or someone like him and don’t pay too much.

24. digdeepnbleedblue says:

That game couldn’t have been scripted better. Mint! The refs, however, may need to be escorted to their hotels. Crazy calls. That, peeps, is a roller coaster ride! I love it. This year should be good.

Thoughts from the game. This team needs a “grind line” or “energy line” if you may. Or “toughness” as been mentioned by others. Whatever you want to call it, the need is there.

I liked Paajarvi and Hartikainen. And, our new toy? May I have another, sir? Seriously, Fistric, good! I would not be angered at the accusation of another.

Holy snap! Hockey IS back.

25. hunter1909 says:

BlacqueJacque,

I looked, and apparently the Flames fans feel gingerly re Yaks celebrations obviously but some are kind enough to state they believe it can, in certain circumstances, be allowed.

Weird, because Canuck fans seem far less stupid than Flames fans over this pathetically alleged controversy.

26. Rocknrolla says:

Yak is awesome…in his words:

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

27. Bushed says:

This takes the cake for crap reffing.

Hopefully we don’t have to score 4 to count 2 every game.

And how the hell does anyone get a DOUBLE minor for instigating? Is it even possible to instigate one fight two times? Seems illogical–I thought I’d seen everything until that one.

But let’s call every obscure stupid penalty in the book, and miss a punch to the face, a dive, several interference calls etc etc etc.

I’m going to need several drinks to cool off from this one.

28. Lucinius says:

Sad thing is, I’m not convinced Smid even instigated at all. If he had, sure, fine… (although, since both players wore visors…)

29. BlacqueJacque says:

hunter1909,

[edit: Much of] the thread reeks of jealousy masked by false outrage over the goal he scored.

“How dare he celebrate scoring a wicked goal-scorer’s goal, hitting the puck out of mid-air with insane reaction time and accuracy with 4.7 seconds left after the refs horribly robbed the Oilers moments ago of their game-tying goal?!”

When is the last time a Flame scored a goal like that? Fleury? Iginla in his heyday?

30. Kris11 says:

Bad referees are irrelevant when we have Yakupov.

He didn’t quite get the Yak-trick, though: no assist.

31. slopitch says:

32. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Bushed,

Didn’t Petrell get the same penalty last year against the Red Wings? I don’t like it, but I get it’s hard to punch someone in the face with a visor.

33. Lucinius says:

Rewatching the last five minutes..

What struck me that I didn’t really notice the first time around; time keeper wiping down his area, laughing hard, having a good time.

34. slopitch says:

And Yakapov on the ice with 10s left. Kruger!

35. Bushed says:

Lucinius,

Exactly. I didn’t see any instigation there at all. Even the TV commentators said as much.

But with so many bad calls, where do you even start?

36. striatic says:

slopitch: Belanger deserves some credit for cleaning winnin the draw vs Stollie with 10s left. Not an easy task, and if not for that no one here is as happy as we are now…

Belanger has been excellent so far this season and i don’t think he’s a better player than he was last year, more an issue of deployment.

Krueger has deployed him extremely well.

37. Bushed says:

Dig,

Didn’t see that game, but isn’t that the rule against fighting with a visor?

This was for instigating with a visor–a new one on me, especially when you add another instigator on top of it?

38. Clay says:

Bushed,

That extra two minutes for instigating with a visor has been on the books for a while now, but I’m with Lucinius – Nolan dropped his gloves before Smid .

I don’t remember a more poorly ref’d game. If you watch the replay of the called off goal from the “behind the net” angle – one ref and both linesmen are OUTSIDE THE ZONE, while the other ref is behind the net. And as soon as Quick skates over and says he was interfered with, he goes over and decides to discuss it with the other officials who were OUTSIDE THE ZONE, and they don’t even check a replay?

That’s pure bush.

On another note – HOLY CRAP WHAT A FINISH! Remember the Doug Weight era, when you never turned the game off early because the team had a nack for doing something special? That feeling.

39. digdeepnbleedblue says:

BlacqueJacque,

Fleury apparently said something like it was the “best third game celebration.” Hahaha! Flames fans say that shit and I would be mad. Fleury can say what he wants. Respect. But, I loved it. Reminds me of a great movie quote:

“Are you entertained!?” Mint!

Yak is good… and hits! Sweeeeet!Now that I think of it, he kinda reminds me of Fleury. Weird.

40. Lucinius says:

Another thing; kudos to Hall. A bit before the tying goal (that counted) he blocked a shot in the Oilers zone with Dubnyk pulled, saving the game right there.

As for the Flames thread thing… what world do they live in?

41. lawrenharris says:

Kris11,

Sorry, the common notion that ain’t braggin’ if you can do it is just wrong, both factually and morally, or at least behaviourally. It’s ONLY bragging if you can do it, otherwise it’s just lying. And if you can do it and you brag about it you are lacking in class. Which is not to frown on Yak’s behaviour tonight, because he wasn’t bragging, he was celebrating.

42. striatic says:

Clay: I’d say this finish is as bizarre as the Patrick Stefan botched empty-netter, but with more emotion for sure.

the officiating put this into a whole different realm.

43. Bushed says:

Just heard Milhouse say on the post-game that Petrell did get the same call last year–good call, Dig. And Clay.

Learn something every day…

44. Lucinius says:

Bushed,

But both players were wearing visors. Wasn’t just Smid. And if he was actually the second player to drop his gloves? Give both players a 2 minute minor for fighting with visors on. Instigator on top of that is the bullshit.

45. BlacqueJacque says:

Mr. Magoo was the officiating supervisor tonight.

pic.twitter.com/G1fo5WIM

Explains a lot. I really think this man shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the Oilers.

46. raventalon40 says:

Streit is a great PP quarterback but I dunno about leaning on him as a top pairing guy. Dude was -27 last year.

I wonder if a sign and trade is possible, when it comes to PK Subban.

This from SB nation, comparing Subban to defenders in his range of ability.

I thought Subban was good before, and I was skeptical at first about his worth. But Subban is quite clearly one of the top defenders in the league.

47. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Bushed,

Yes, the rule is instigating a fight with a visor. I should clarify, though. If you start a fight with someone when you have a visor on it’s hard for them to punch you in the face. I’m just saying I see their argument. But, an argument could be made that if the opponent has one too… It boils down to the pacifying of the game. But, who’s bitching? lol

48. BlacqueJacque says:

Raven, the problem is that even compared to guys like Pietrangelo, Subban wants crazy money – allegedly over $6m and a 6-year or longer contract. – oops, my mistake. I thought Pietrangelo had signed an extension.

If Nuge and Yak follow Hall and Ebs, we’ll have $24m tied up in just 4 players – 40% of the cap! Schultz really looks likely to get a contract in that range, too, which means 50% of the cap invested in 5 players.

49. Kris11 says:

Why is bragging wrong?

You, like too many Canadians, are living with too much “ressentiment.”

“Ressentiment is a reassignment of the pain that accompanies a sense of one’s own inferiority/failure [Yakupov is better at hockey, which causes you or Stoll pain] onto an external scapegoat [Yakupov]. The ego creates the illusion of an enemy, a cause that can be “blamed” [he is breaking the rules of Canadian-hckey politeness] for one’s own inferiority/failure. Thus, one was thwarted not by a failure in oneself, but rather by an external “evil.”

According to Kierkegaard, ressentiment occurs in a “reflective, passionless age”, [Canadian hockey culture] in which the populace stifles creativity and passion in passionate individuals. Kierkegaard argues that individuals who do not conform to the masses are made scapegoats and objects of ridicule by the masses, in order to maintain status quo and to instill into the masses their own sense of superiority.

Ressentiment comes from reactiveness: the weaker a man is, the less his capability for adiaphoria, i.e. to suppress reaction. According to Nietzsche, the more a man is active, strong-willed, and dynamic, the less place and time is left for contemplating all that is done to him, and his reactions (like imagining he is actually better) become less compulsive. The reaction of a strong-willed man (a “wild beast”), when it happens, is ideally a short action: it is not a prolonged filling of his intellect.”

In short, you are jealous of him and that is the problem, not his stating (or conveying through a celebration) that he really is as great as he is.

50. oilersfan says:

Anybody notice the TOI?? Hall Eberlre RNH all over 22 minutes, J Schultz 26 minutes.

So much for not overplaying any of the stars so early

51. Bushed says:

Lucinius,

Agree completely.

And now into my first drink, so becoming more agreeable by the minute…

52. striatic says:

oilersfan:

So much for not overplaying any of the stars so early

well, the unusual PP situation probably played some part in that.

53. "Steve Smith" says:

Eberle’s shooting percentage on the year is 7.1%. REGRESSION.

54. digdeepnbleedblue says:

“Steve Smith”,

He looked like he was on a one second delay.

55. striatic says:

“Steve Smith”,

still. point per game player.

: ]

56. delooper says:

On Eberle’s “regression,” by that standard, Schultz is the current Oiler point leader and Yakupov the leading goal scorer. Fire those bums Eberle and Hall!

57. striatic says:

Smid apparently asked for a fight, other guy said yes, other guy dropped gloves.

how the hell does he get an instigator penalty for that, let alone two?

58. Thor762 says:

Theo Fleury’s tweet about Yakupov’s celebration:

“it was the best 3rd game goal celebration I’ve ever seen. Don’t think the Oilers will have the first pick in the draft this year”

59. justDOit says:

Woodguy: Alright MacT, go get Streit or someone like him and don’t pay too much.

I agree, but with mounting injuries already this year around the league, I think prices for depth players and defenders is going up. The Wings are one more injury away from dressing one of the training staff.

60. digdeepnbleedblue says:

striatic,

Trying to make sense of what the refs did tonight will lead to craziness! Two words: Shit show!

61. lawrenharris says:

Kris11,

There are two questions here. The first is one of definition: is bragging a forcible claim to some attribute or accomplishment that you don’t actually have or haven’t actually accomplished, or is it simply a lack of modesty? I say the former. The second question has to do with style. Despite the claims of those two proto-existentialists, both of whom it would be an understatement to describe as troubled, I prefer the Steve Yzermans of this world to the chest-thumping dionysiacs you seem to imply you favour. Passion is enlivening, all right, but it can often be ugly and dangerous, and restraint can often be beautiful.

62. jp says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Gagner 17% on the dot – I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that from a natural centre.

That is an ugly game in the dot. He won the last one though, did he not? That’s all that matters to me at this point.
    And he was a thoroughly reasonable 47.6% last year.

jake70:
    The oldestplayer on the ice for that winning goal was the senior citizen Gagner at 23.Fun.

I mentioned the other night the OT options for Krueger are multiple.I know it was PP goal but I don’t see this team going to too many shootouts.

You mean the oldest Oiler :). Actually, the oldest Oiler position player. But point taken. Could be a fun ride!

63. gertal rauss says:

Had to work late then watched the game on PVR and almost an hour to read the comments.

Terrific thread again tonight-a couple of belly laughs-Hunter was in fine form.

Yes please to a Streit or someone like him**cough Lubo cough**

64. Rocknrolla says:

gertal rauss,

I was in the same boat….started watching an hour late, and was trying to keep reading the thread without going to far and ruining any surprises. Also, cant look at twitter for the same reason. Watching the pvr late is a bit of torture, but imagine if you missed it. Love the idea of PVR for hockey, great way to watch the game.

65. striatic says:

i think Fistric has got to be slotted above Potter at this point.

it isn’t like Potter has been wretched but the Oilers need what Fistric offers a lot more than they need what Potter offers, especially on the PK.

PK was a huge difference in comparison to the game against SJ and Fistric helped out there big time.

66. DeadmanWaking says:

I’ve got an earworm from a popular song:

Quick clack, I was making a splash.

Missed the moment tonight. Pity.

67. Zelepukin says:

Long time reader, first time commenting.

My synopsis on the game:

Hall: continues to impress with the little things. No one in hockey takes more risky plays along the boards at full speed than Hall. Sure he isn’t as flashy as Ebs or Nail, but tonight’s game really showed his intelligence and willingness to drive the puck into the offensive zone.

Nuge: He looked a lot more comfortable with the puck compared to last game. Body positioning is definitely improving in the offensive corners and he looked good on the draws. Glad to see Kruge giving him those opportunities to prove himself on the dots.

Schultz: you can tell he is still adjusting to the NHL level of PK when he on the PP. Not making a lot of mistakes though and although he might not win the Calder, surely he is the best rookie D in the league so far.

Fistric: There is zero reasoning to play Potter now. Fistric is our only true physical Dman.

Whitney: wow he is slow and a good step behind everyone else. several times pp posession died on his stick.

Smyth and Horcoff: these two really showed their age in this game. A good step behind everyone else and there were several plays which resulted in giveaways because both guys are no where the level of puck control of the top two lines.

68. danny says:

Middle age, long hours, and an 11:00pm start time has unfortunately gotten the better of me. I never thought this day would arrive… but ive fallen asleep during the 1st intermission of all three Oilers games this season.

Looks like I missed a doozy tonight. I woke up on my couch and the TSN broadcast had just ended, and the opening of Sportscenter had just began. Seeing Yaks celebration replay was awesome but disappointed i missed it.

Kind of able to relive the experience through the comments here though, so there’s that. I’m not the kinda guy that can PVR a game and watch it the next day after work.

69. Ryan says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Eberle’s shooting percentage on the year is 7.1%.REGRESSION.

Yeah, but how about Yak’s unsustainable 22%? :)

70. speeds says:

I don’t really have a problem with the instigator being applied, I think it should be called every time there’s a fight after a clean hit. We can argue about who technically dropped the gloves first, but that fight happened because Smid wanted it to after a clean hit.

I would be happy it if they called that every time.

71. Romulus Apotheosis says:

lawrenharris:
    Kris11,

There are two questions here.The first is one of definition: is bragging a forcible claim to some attribute or accomplishment that you don’t actually have or haven’t actually accomplished, or is it simply a lack of modesty?I say the former.The second question has to do with style. Despite the claims of those two proto-existentialists, both of whom it would be an understatement to describe as troubled, I prefer the Steve Yzermans of this world to the chest-thumping dionysiacs you seem to imply you favour.Passion is enlivening, all right, but it can often be ugly and dangerous, and restraint can often be beautiful.

Yea…. existentialism is a horrible ahistorical interpretation of both of those thinkers.

and… “troubled” is neither an argument, nor a terribly accurate description of their work.

« Older Comments