KINGS AT OILERS, G3 (12-13) 24.1.13

These two organizations will be forever connected by the Gretzky trade. The deal–in the opinion of many–changed hockey forever. Looking back on the days of summer 1988, the thing that stands out is the quotes from the principal players.

• Peter Pocklington: ”Wayne has an ego the size of Manhattan. ‘I understand that though. If people had told me how great I was day in and day out for 10 years, I’m sure my ego would be a pretty generous size, too.”
  • Peter Pocklington: ”He’s a great actor, I thought he pulled it off beautifully when he showed how upset he was. ‘I think he was upset, but he wants the big dream.”
  • Gretzky on Pocklington’s comments: ”I’m not going to get into a war of words with anybody from Edmonton. ‘But if that’s what he thinks, then I’m very disappointed. ‘I’m grateful for what the Oilers did for me for 10 years. I’m proud to have been an Oiler, and people who know me and are friends of mine know the statements aren’t true.’
  • Edmonton Mayor Lawrence Decore‘It’s like taking all the bridges away and saying, ‘Edmonton, this is what you’re going to look like.”
  • Los Angeles drew 452,248 fans to 40 home games last season, putting the team next to last in the 21-team league. (Detroit was No. 1 with 785,532; Edmonton was sixth with 678,270 and Vancouver was last with 440,095.)
  • At the news conference in Edmonton, Pocklington portrayed himself as a somewhat reluctant participant in the deal.

In later years the Oilers and Kings have done business, with Lubo, Ryan Smyth and the pick that turned into Oscar Klefbom the major players coming to Edmonton and Jarret Stoll, Dustin Penner and Colin Fraser heading the other way for the Cup rings. Its funny, the Gretzky trade shook the foundation but Lombardi’s gathering of Oiler talent for the big run is impressive in its own way. I’m glad the Kings won the Stanley, and was impressed when they brought back Rogie Vachon and Marcel Dionne to help celebrate it opening night.   A lot of people wondered why 99 wasn’t there, but for me bringing the old guard in was a reminder that champions and all time greats should never be measured by number of Stanley’s won. Greatness can exist on a mediocre or poor team, Oiler fans 92-now must know this to be true.

As far as I know, there won’t be any lineup changes tonight:

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Gagner-Yakupov-Hemsky
  • Horcoff-Smyth-Hartikainen
  • Belanger-Paajarvi-Petrell
  • Smid-Petry
  • Schultz-Schultz
  • Whitney-Potter
  • Dubnyk

One thing the Oilers need to do tonight is stay out of the penalty box. Especially early. The game was in peril by the time Taylor Hall took his second shift, that’s craziness. Also, with the Kings defense decimated, the speed demon forwards need to push on the forecheck and try to get their blue to make mistakes and take penalties.

The Oilers have two outstanding PP units. Can we mail one back to MacT a decade ago?

The Barons lines and pairings were interesting last night. With two new arrivals, I was interested in seeing who would get pushed down the lineup:

• Arcobello-Green-Cheechoo
  • Lander-Rajala-Pelss
  • Martindale-Byers-Tyrvainen
  • VandeVelde-Hamilton-House
  • Brett Clark-Taylor Fedun
  • Martin Marincin-Nathan Deck
  • Kane Lafranchise-Colten Teubert

The ‘AHL veteran’ line is joined on defense by newcomer Brett Clark (also and AHL veteran) and Taylor Fedun, the most capable of the Oilers D prospects this season. Its interesting to see Rajala-Pelss pushing through (and on a line with Lander) past the others, and both had good games (Pelss 5 shots, Rajala an assist and 4 shots).

Marincin had his best game in a long while and flew several sorties into enemy territory. He resembled the player we saw in the fall, and scored (1-1-2) for the first time in forever.

Olivier Roy stopped 33 of 37. If I had to guess about callups, I’d go with F’s VandeVelde and Arcobello, and Fedun and Teubert on D. Brett Clark may find his way into that conversation soon.

671 Responses to "KINGS AT OILERS, G3 (12-13) 24.1.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. DBO says:

So still early. Hope to see Fistric, but who knows. And I wonder if MPS gets up to 3rd line, with the 4th being the crash and bang line. I expect one of Fistric or Hordichuk draw in. Krueger seems to want some aggression, so hopefully he follows through.

And one more thing about MPS. He played D as a youth, and he has defensive chops. I wonder if he slides to either centre, or D. He would be a Bowmeester, and that is not a bad thing.

2. SoxandOil says:

Lt off topic but what’s a fair package for Subban? MPS, Potter and a 2nd?

3. Bruce McCurdy says:

Hey Matt Greene, thanks for coming!

4. Bruce McCurdy says:

How did Clark look, LT? Also, was Teubert definitively on the third pairing, or did they get more or less equal time. (I sure with the minors and juniors would get on board with TOI)

Nelson sure seems to like putting all his Euros in one basket.

5. hunter1909 says:

On a brighter note, so far this season Taylor Hall hasn’t been falling down much; and I haven’t seen Gagner’s mouthguard being chewed once.

Switch Hall and Yakupov, would be my tinkering for the Kings. And try to figure out a way to lose Corey Potter, a player I’d like to see traded or waived.

PS: Hilarity ensues on opening night of the new clamshell/toilet seat arena – if they can’t figure out a way to entice the entire San Jose Shark’s media team to relocate to Edmonton.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: Hey Matt Greene, thanks for coming!

Beat me to it… Cherry (to his credit?) was adamant that everyone pay attention to Greene and Mitchell… almost to the exclusion of the rest of the team.

@everyone else…

so what is the going theory on the Potter-vs-Fistric decisions? 3 games in its looking less like a platooning and more like Fistric is decidedly below Potter on K’s list…

What are the conditions… whereby we will see Fistric play? and less pressing… Hordichuk?

7. jonrmcleod says:

SoxandOil,

You’re going to have to remove Potter from that hypothetical trade and add someone much more appealing.

8. jonrmcleod says:

I was 13 when the Gretzky trade happened. I was travelling with family to a Phillies game at Veterans Stadium. We stopped at a gas station and my uncle bought newspaper. He got in the car and said, “Hey, Wayne Gretzky was traded.” We were stunned. (To make matters worse, the baseball experience was terrible. The Cardinals won 1-0, scoring in the top of the first, and I had a headache all game.)

9. Jimmy says:

Do we know if Fistric played anywhere during the lockout? Maybe they want him in better game shape?

10. gangplank says:

DBO,

I think one of the reasons we arent seeing Fistric is that he is slower than Potter and with Whitney’s skating issues, Kreuger doesnt want 2 Pylons

11. raventalon40 says:

Sorry to go off topic, but if Subban is available, do you take a run at him?

I would give up a couple prospects and a couple high picks (not all this draft year though) to get him but nothing more.

Maybe Paajarvi, Plante, 1st and 2nd in 2014.

If that was the case, there would be no more talk about that Whitney Potter pairing. It says the Canadiens and Subban are far apart on salary expectations but I would pay Subban 5 million or less to play here if Whitney’s contract is off the books next year.

Smid-Petry
    Fistric-Subban
    Schultz-Schultz

How does that blue look?

12. raventalon40 says:

Jimmy:

Ha… Fistric played some ball hockey.

13. bookjLe says:

Tonight’s game will be an indicator of how this team responds to an off night. Hopefully Ralph has them well prepared.

As per the Fisterik vs Potter thing, I think some people are a little caught up on the shiny new thing or on the youtube videos of Fisterik’s hits. He hits a bit, but also may be more of a defensive liability than Potter. He will get his chance, but its not a crisis that he sits a few games.

Deadman – thanks for the insightful post in the last blogpost.

14. goldenchild says:

After watching the fist 2 games, I wonder how hard Kruger can keep pushing 94 and 10 on evens if they are used for 60% of the PK too. Thats one reason I really think 91 is the best fit on that line and why he needs to be in the lineup even if Kruger feels he needs to have a Eager type of player on the 4th line. 91′s speed is a big help on the 3rd line he creates pressure on the forecheck and can back the D up on the rush when he’s carrying the puck making life a little easier for Smyth and Horc. The fact that he carries the puck so well lets Smyth do what he does best and get to the corners and to the front of the net. Plus he seems to be improving on the PK, where his size and speed should really help and gives Kruger another option.
    If the plan is to keep the big 3 together ideally id like the lines up front to look like this when 28 gets back
    4-93-14
    64-89-83
    94-10-91
    28-20-56
    I know the Oilers brass is dissapointed 91 isnt developing as a goalscorer but I think he is going to offer a lot of complimentary tools to the Aces up front that will make him really valuable and the fact he probably wont put up huge counting nunmbers means he should remain rather affordable which is going to be an important asset going forward.

15. bookjLe says:

For those of you who don’t frequent Oilersnation. Check out this great shot that someone captured of the Oilers doing the famed ‘Mighty Ducks’ Flying V formation.

Its notable that Yakupov scored not long after that.

16. raventalon40 says:

bookjLe:
    For those of you who don’t frequent Oilersnation.Check out this great shot that someone captured of the Oilers doing the famed ‘Mighty Ducks’ Flying V formation.

Yeah that badboy was all over Facebook.

17. Hayek says:

Fistric was a 3rd pairing defenceman on a poor Dallas team. Why we traded for him is questionable at best. Why we gave up a 3rd rounder is borderline criminal. He is too slow, has poor outlet passes, and no offensive ability. He is not the answer.

18. raventalon40 says:

Hayek:
    Fistric was a 3rd pairing defenceman on a poor Dallas team.Why we traded for him is questionable at best.Why we gave up a 3rd rounder is borderline criminal.He is too slow, has poor outlet passes, and no offensive ability.He is not the answer.

But he’s a low event defender (by reputation, I’ll admit I haven’t watched him play). If he keeps it out of our net without giving the forwards suicide passes in the neutral zone, I’m okay with him.

Bruce: I was talkng about players who contributed. :-)

20. sliderule says:

I still think there is a player in Marcinin.He has one point less than Voynov in one less game in AHL.
    I would bet that is in far less TOI as Marti seemed to be stapled to the bench for a while.This is the same Voynov Kings wouldn’t include in Penner trade and is playing in top four.
    Mart is a good skater and has good projected size along with 100 mph slapshot.do you think Nelson is capable of developing that as so far he hasn’t developed anybody?

21. russ99 says:

bookjLe,

Potter can skate but he’s beyond weak in the zone, Fistric may be a below average skater, but is at least positionally sound and isn’t penalty prone. Plus he likes to separate opponents from the puck. :)

I’m guessing it’s either lack of game shape and/or getting him up to speed with the system that’s keeping him from the ice rather than any perceived deficiencies.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Hayek:

I’m not sure anyone takes him for the answer.

bookjLe:

As per the Fisterik vs Potter thing, I think some people are a little caught up on the shiny new thing or on the youtube videos of Fisterik’s hits.He hits a bit, but also may be more of a defensive liability than Potter.He will get his chance, but its not a crisis that he sits a few games.

I think you are right that people want to get a chance to see the new toy for themselves (in an “open the box and see what we’ve got” kind of way) and some are probably deluding themselves regarding his potential impact.

And I don’t think sitting a few games is a crisis.

However, my initial assumption was that Fistric would either slot in above Potter (for two reasons: 1. people seem to evaluate him higher, I can’t say… I don’t really know him. 2. the defensive pairings seems to be balanced with offensive guys paired with defensive guys and Potter matched with Whitney seems like doubling down on offence)

or, that Fistric and Potter would platoon based on opposition.

or, that Fistric wasn’t game ready….

At any rate, I think at this point we can rule out platooning… otherwise, Fistric would probably have played one of these games.

So, I’m guessing he is now definitely below Potter on K’s list, or he’s in rough conditioning shape… which means we traded a 3rd for another Peckham.

For my part, I’m just wondering if we have a clear idea of what his role would be (assuming he’s game ready)… when K would play him… only if someone is injured… or what?

I’m also curious when K will unleash Hordichuk.

ps. the additional L is hilarious.

23. BlacqueJacque says:

Is Alex Plante finished? He doesn’t even register in blog discussions any more.

24. Hayek says:

Fair points by you guys. However I get frustrated by the misnomer in the NHL that a lack of offence indicates being good defensively. Being good defensively and offensively aren’t mutually exclusive. Fistric is below average defensively in the league, and in the absolute bottom rung offensively.

There are more complete options avaialable at little to no cost. Just disappointed Oilers management seems to value providing change over providing improvement.

25. knighttown says:

A few machine-gun style comments:

1. Shocked how many people are giving the Oilers credit for winning the second and third periods. Winning the second and third period when you are down by 5 is a lot different than winning the first and second periods and giving up 6 in the third. There is nothing positive that came out of that game and the second and third are no exception.

2. One of my biggest nightmare scenarios was discovering Petry/Smid from 2011-12 was an illusion as a legit top defensive pairing. Sample size and all that but they were simply awful in this game. I feel comfortable they’re fine as a second pairing but if they aren’t a legit first pairing we’ve got major issues.

3. If (as LT suggests) Kreuger comes back with the same lineup that’ll be a very, very interesting item to note. Almost all coaches will make changes after a pounding, even if it’s symbolic. And the opposite is true as we can recall with Renney last year. Win five in a row with Omark on the bench even though the wins were the result of unsustainable goatending but don’t make a move because that’s “not what coaches do”. This shows me Kreuger might be a big picture guy, as concerned with game 48 as he is with game 3.

4. A lot of compliments about Yak’s passing game and I can’t disagree really but what some people are calling “crisp” appears to me to mini-slapshots that may not be easy to receive. I suppose good pros like 83 and 89 can handle them but they seem to lae the touch of a pass from 93 that’s for sure.

26. Matt.N says:

From Bob McKenzie via TSN990:

“At some point the notion of trading PK Subban is something that I think the Montreal Canadiens may decide to deal with.”

TSN’s Bob McKenzie says that the Subban – Bergevin standoff will likely end in a trade. I suspect that he is right. #allhabs
    — All Habs (Canadiens) (@All_Habs) January 24, 2013

Lordy, if there is even a hint of this being true, Tambo needs to be all up in Bergevins business.

27. Hayek says:

Matt.N,

I think he is a fair option for a top pairing defenceman. The question is at what cost. If he wants $6M, or $6M+, is that too high a price to pay? You just have to ask why a new GM who isn’t well established is willing to take criticism and not be able to negotiate a contract with him.

In a salary cap world, you can’t afford to make mistakes and overpay. If we could get him for the right price, great. However, with our team being more appealing to free agents now, why give up an asset to get a defenceman when we could be an attractive destination in the UFA market? (Don’t know if this will come to fruition, but hopefully winning inspires players to be more likely to sign here)

28. denny33 says:

goldenchild,

Oilers brass are right to be dissapointed with MPS. He was selected 10th overall – higher than Zack Kassian and Dimitri Kulikov.

Our best option with 91 is to call the Islanders organization and look for a trade.

I watched Vancouver vs. Flames last night and Kassian scored another goal. And is starting to look really good in the process. ( Granted playing with the Sedins )

Put your hand up if we could us a guy that can b eat up Ben Eager and score goals?
    ( 6’3 – 214 pounds )

Best case for MPS is a some sort of PK specialist .

29. Ryan says:

bookjLe:

Its notable that Yakupov scored not long after that.

Lol. That’s just awesome. The Flying V vs San Jose.

Wonder if Krueger can teach the Oil to shift into Team Switzerland vs. Team Canada mode to calm things down if a period is getting out of control.

Part of me would like to see 64 playing on the grumpier old men line with PRV on Gagner’s. It would give 64 some shelter especially since Krueger doesn’t seem fixated on riding Horcoff against the toughs.

The second line would lose some offense, but be more stable defensively. Not like the Gagner line is crushing it at evens anyway. The old man line would be get some finish too.

30. blackdog says:

If you want Subban, and I would, then you have to give the Habs a lot more than what is being proposed here. Unless they want to go all prospects in which case you’re talking big names, not throw in plugs like Plante. If Bergevin want s to compete now you’re talking probably one of Smid or Petry going the other way plus a guy like MPS plus a prospect.

If he’s blowing it up then its a passel of kids going the other way and I’d see if you could get Plekanec as well.

I think the Potter Fistric thing is the org being loyal to Potter. I wouldn’t bet that conditioning might not be an issue or Fistric as well.

If they lose tonight though then I think Fistric draws in next game unless Potter is better than he has been

31. PaperDesigner says:

Get Subban now, worry about the salary cap later. Seriously.

If the goal is to acquire as many good players as possible, agree to terms quickly, and trade what you need to when you need to, and figure out how to find a way to pay him, Schultz, Petry, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov and Nugent-Hopkins as you go. Sit them all down in a room with 50% of the salary cap written of the chalk board, and ask them to divvy it up as you see fit. Good grief, if they can’t come to terms, you might be able to get him for Klefbom, Paajarvi and a 2nd instead of a Hall or Eberle! Do that deal tomorrow! Although, if you are getting Subban, it might be better to sub Marincin for Klefbom.

32. Mr DeBakey says:

Complaining about Zack Kassian and Dimitri Kulikov when discussing Paajarvi is a complete waste of time.

They were going to take Glennie until Dallas did.

33. Captain Obvious says:

Whoever trades for Subban is going to get a huge steal. Unfortunately, I can’t see it being the Oilers. This is a team that thinks in terms of roles and we already have our Subban in J. Schultz.

It’s really amazing what the Canadians are doing here. It is impossible for them to win if they trade Subban. They are trying to have it both ways. If they trade him they are going to want a Doughty like price but they want to pay him like he’s Del Zotto. Well Subban is a lot closer to Doughty than he is to Del Zotto.

If the Canadians do trade Subban there will be NHL pieces coming back. I imagine the minimum price would be something like Petry and Paajarvi. I’d pay that.

34. Ribs says:

Ryan: Speaking of San Jose, their opening frame was a pretty good example of them employing US military strategy–shock and awe.

I kind of saw it more as shooting fish in a barrel, myself. Yikes.

I’ve been trying to recall Fishdick’s play and what comes back to me is basically Theo Peckham’s game. Theo may be a bit quicker on a good day. But hey, maybe he’ll come out and surprise like Potter did.

Know who’d be a good guy to have on the club now? Dustin Penner. Damn.

35. bendelson says:

Mr DeBakey,

Agreed.

36. raventalon40 says:

Captain Obvious:
    I imagine the minimum price would be something like Petry and Paajarvi.I’d pay that.

You’re right. It’s just I’d rather give up magic beans than Petry. Like, he’s not even in his prime yet! Dude’s going to be a great Dman.

Ribs:Know who’d be a good guy to have on the club now? Dustin Penner. Damn.

Hindsight sucks.

37. delooper says:

Dustin Penner looks good on any team. I don’t know exactly what it is he does, but the ice slopes towards offence when he’s on the ice.

38. bookjLe says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

ps. the additional L is hilarious.

That’s always been there.

39. bookjLe says:

delooper:
    Dustin Penner looks good on any team.I don’t know exactly what it is he does, but the ice slopes towards offence when he’s on the ice.

I think it’s a combination of offensive positioning, cheeseburgers, and gravity.

40. delooper says:

I didn’t think it was possible that his mass would slope the ice surface but it’s something to consider. Maybe waffle mass is a different kind of mass for the purpose of hockey.

41. raventalon40 says:

Space time curvature makes exceptions for guys named Dustin.

42. Bruce McCurdy says:

Bruce: I was talkng about players who contributed.

Greene was merely an assistant captain and ace PK defender on the Cup champs, so not much of a contribution, really.

That said, the Kings are apt to miss him a lot more tonight than the Oilers will.

43. delooper says:

Penner’s relativistic correction.

44. bookjLe says:

Bruce McCurdy: Iforgot, you always hated both Greene and Smid, didn’t you? Back when I was preaching patience on both.

That was also the period of time when he was lauding the Management of the Flames (Sutter) and of Columbus (Howson). We like to speak of that period of time as LT’s Confused Period.

45. Bruce McCurdy says:

Sorry, LT, ran out of time to edit. I meant to tease you on how often you “traded” both guys back in the day when 2&5 were an item. Eventually one did get traded, and brought good value in return. But he’s delivered value to the Kings.

He may be “only” a third-pairing d-man, but he’s one of the better ones in the league, and you’re darn tootin’ that has value. Especially if he’s big, occasionally mean, has good leadership skills and a great sense of humour, eh.

Always did like Matt Greene, and still do. Shame about his back.

46. Clay says:

Everything I’ve heard about the Subban standoff is that he wants north of $6M a year, and doesn’t want to give up any UFA years, whereas Bergevin will only do that kind of money in return for a few years of UFA.

I mean, come on. If you think Bergevin will actually trade his cornerstone dman for anything less than three top-shelf assets (young top-6 forward or top-4 dman + blue chip prospect + 1st round pick), you’re dreaming.

In reality, if Bergevin picks up the phone, and Tambo doesn’t start with the names Justin Schultz or Nail Yakupov, Bergevin probably hangs up the phone. Who here is comfortable with either of those guys leaving?

Let’s say you are comfortable with the price – then what? Now, assuming his contract demands don’t change, you’re going to have to pay this guy Jordan Eberle / Taylor Hall money, and that’s only on a four year deal.

If you want to sign him to a longer term (like Hall and Ebs did), you now have to make him the HIGHEST PAID PLAYER ON THE TEAM. How does this not alienate Hall and Ebs, while making RNH’s, Nail’s, and J. Schultz’s next contracts prohibitively expensive?

Subban to Edmonton makes almost less sense than Luongo to Edmonton.

47. delooper says:

Edmonton should trade with LA. We could send them MPS, Lander and the Omark rights for Penner and Brown.

48. Captain Obvious says:

Clay,

Obviously it depends on the price. The offer I heard from the Canadians was 2yr/3M. That’s really quite absurd so it is hard to know what the truth is.

What is true is that the minimum price is the amount of draft picks an offer sheet would entail? I don’t see why teams would try and trade for Subban unless the asking price was low. If the trading price isn’t low, then see how he fits under your salary cap and then make Subban an offer. There is no risk in this. The worst that can happen is nothing. The best that happens is you get Subban at below free agent prices.

49. raventalon40 says:

Captain Obvious:
    Clay,

Obviously it depends on the price.The offer I heard from the Canadians was 2yr/3M.That’s really quite absurd so it is hard to know what the truth is.

What is true is that the minimum price is the amount of draft picks an offer sheet would entail?I don’t see why teams would try and trade for Subban unless the asking price was low.If the trading price isn’t low, then see how he fits under your salary cap and then make Subban an offer.There is no risk in this.The worst that can happen is nothing.The best that happens is you get Subban at below free agent prices.

We don’t even have the picks which would be required for that anymore, so I wouldn’t think about it.

50. raventalon40 says:

*pick. (3rd round pick)

Unless you’re talking four 1st rounds, which is out of the question for me.

51. khildahl says:

bookjLe: and

Bruce McCurdy:

Always did like Matt Greene, and still do. Shame about his back.

I’ll take any player who can hit a truck and walk away.

52. dessert1111 says:

I honestly don’t even know if I’d do Petry for Subban straight up. Petry is on such an amazing contract and it sounds like Subban would put the team in cap hell quickly. Plus he seems like a douchebag. Sure inquire about him but I doubt it’s a real possibility.

53. justDOit says:

Rishaug reporting that MPS skating on a line with 94/10, and that the 4th line today is Harski, Belenger and Petrell.

I would not be comfortable giving up Petry for any player.

Bobby Mac says don’t put any weight on wacky 1st week of the season – the 4th week is where teams should be what they’re going to be. We wait…

54. Matt.N says:

I would be willing to do J.Shultz plus for Subban. I don’t that everyone realizes exactly how good this kid is. Math loves him. He is one of the top 10 defenders in the league IMO. If we are really lucky and things break right, Schultz may be close to Subbans level in a few years.

55. khildahl says:

delooper:
    Edmonton should trade with LA.We could send them MPS, Lander and the Omark rights for Penner and Brown.

Get Colin Fraser too! He has 2 cup rings you know. Could a useful 4th line player.

Though we already have our requisite soulless ginger on the team.

56. vishcosity says:

Pietrangelo 23 years old, Del Zotto 22 years old, Subban 23 years old
    Pietrangelo 160 gp, Del Zotto 207 gp, Subban 158 gp
    Pietrangelo 94 points, Del Zotto 91 points, Subban 74 points
    Pietrangelo +34, Del Zotto -5, Subban -1

Pietrangelo 3.167M x 2, Del Zotto 2.55M x 2, Subban 6M x ??

No way do I even call Montreal until Subban fires his agent.

57. fuzzy muppet says:

How about seeing what Colorado would take to acquire Ryan O’reilly’s right??

He’s the 2c they need with size and plays the toughs. Not a huge scorer, but the Oilers have plenty of them.

You can then flip Gagner+ for some defensive help.

The question is what would it take to get O’reilly and what his contract demands are. Reports are talks between the Avs and him aren’t even close

58. BlacqueJacque says:

Subban reminds me of a young Phaneuf. Big hits, big shots, and just as out of position. Better skater, not as good at clearing the net. I don’t know what money he’s asking for but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Canadiens wait him out. They may not admit it, but they are in a rebuild with the Galchenyuk pick and ending up in the top 10 with Subban isn’t better than picking top 5 without him. As for Subban, he’s already lost half a season of income and Bergevin came from Chicago IIRC, and hr saw the effect of having to blow a team up due to the cap.

The Hall and Eberle deals don’t look as rosy in comparison to the new cap, either.

59. DBO says:

Looks like MPS on 3rd line. hartikainen on 4th. Fistric in for Potter. Like all those moves.

60. raventalon40 says:

khildahl:
    I’ll take any player who can hit a truck and walk away.

Brendan Witt.

61. khildahl says:

raventalon40,

The fact it was gold makes that story even more awesome.

62. raventalon40 says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Subban reminds me of a young Phaneuf.Big hits, big shots, and just as out of position. Better skater, not as good at clearing the net. I don’t know what money he’s asking for but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Canadiens wait him out. They may not admit it, but they are in a rebuild with the Galchenyuk pick and ending up in the top 10 with Subban isn’t better than picking top 5 without him. As for Subban, he’s already lost half a season of income and Bergevin came from Chicago IIRC, and hr saw the effect of having to blow a team up due to the cap.

They’re great deals. With term. It’s market value.

Hell, Hemsky and Pominville have almost identical stats and contracts as well.

Some contracts might have been a tad high but I think they’re mostly in the range.

63. BlacqueJacque says:

fuzzy muppet,

He’s two inches taller and 10lbs heavier than Gags. Centermen also don’t use size as much as wingers do – they spend less time in the corners and in front of the net. The weird oiler fan obsession with a big second line center has really gotten to the point of self-perpetuating myth at this point. It’s the big lie – repeat it often enough and people start believing it.

God knows Detroit would never have won a cup without noted hulkkng behemoths Yzerman (six foot twenty and weighed a fuckjng ton) and Datsyuk (pretty sure I remember him picking Getzlaf up with one arm while skating with the puck through the neutral zone).

64. raventalon40 says:

BlacqueJacque:
    fuzzy muppet,

He’s two inches taller and 10lbs heavier than Gags.Centermen also don’t use size as much as wingers do – they spend less time in the corners and in front of the net.The weird oiler fan obsession with a big second line center has really gotten to the point of self-perpetuating myth at this point.It’s the big lie – repeat it often enough and people start believing it.

God knows Detroit would never have won a cup without noted hulkkng behemothsYzerman (six foot twenty and weighed a fuckjng ton) and Datsyuk (pretty sure I remember him picking Getzlaf up with one arm while skating with the puck through the neutral zone).

Which is why I keep saying we need a Clowe or Hartnell.

None available.

Malone maybe.

65. khildahl says:

BlacqueJacque:
    fuzzy muppet,

They also shoot lightning from their asses and fireballs from their eyes.

66. BlacqueJacque says:

raventalon40,

are they really great deals? Potentially great, if Ebs,can keep his Craig Simpson impression going, and if Hall stays healthy and manages a point per game. Imagine if we had been paying Hemsky $6M per year to be almost a point per game in 50-60 game seasons.

moreover with the bar set at $6M, that’s $24M to four forwards. 40% of the cap. Throw in Schultz the Younger who looks like he will be earning around there and half the cap is going to five players. I wouldn’t count on league revenues rising as much as they had the past 6 years either. The Canadian dollar is likelier to go down than up, we don’t know the effect of the lockout on casual fans (keep in mind that tsn sportsnet and cbc have a vested interest in making it seem like no one cared about the lockout), or how the American economy is going to go. Finally, there are still franchises in trouble.

67. FPB94 says:

No. If they trade Subban for Paajarvi and Plante they’l be set on fire.

I wish they would stop pitching the absolutely ridiculous comparison of Del Zotto in there.

He was a 3rd pairing defensemen sent back to the minors who’s a 1 way guy.

Subban was N1 defensemen who finished +9 on a 15th place team. They need to end this now or it’l be another disaster.

68. Ryan says:

delooper,

It’s the pancakes.

Penner would look good, but our top six would be a huge log jam.

69. Professor Q says:

I saw those tweets as well, looks like good roster moves, hopefully Fistric helps.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

khildahl:
    I’ll take any player who can hit a truck and walk away.

like this:

71. DBO says:

What lineup looks better?

Hall-Nuge-Ebs

Smyth-Horc-MPS
    Eager-Belanger-Petrell

Shultz (elder) – Subban
    Smid-Petry
    Whitney-Shultz (younger)

72. delooper says:

If the top 6 would be a logjam with Penner deary me its time for a top 9.

73. Ryan says:

delooper:
    If the top 6 would be a logjam with Penner deary me its time for a top 9.

Well, going forward. Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, and in the future, Yakupov is a pretty good collection of top six wingers. Not necessarily a good mix of skillsets or size…

Prior to the Penner trade and his ensuing train wreck season in LA, I would have been inclined to keep him over Hemsky.

That being said, it was before he threw his back out eating pancakes etc.

With Hemsky’s shoulders looking good and other factors, hindsight changes things.

Penner if playing well, looked to be a safer bet from an injury perspective, provides some meat and a net presence. As well, back when he played under Quinn, he was a PK machine too.

74. Ryan says:

Onto another debate, what happened to players called NHL defensemen?

Are they going to be put on the endangered species list?

The Oilers haven’t had enough in years and now even Detroit is short three or four.

Seems like there’s no where near enough to go around. Was there always this big of shortage?

75. Ribs says:

Matheson Tweets….

Dustin Penner healthy scratch vs oil in edm. No grumbling. Admits not playing well

76. khildahl says:

Ribs:
    Matheson Tweets….

He probably heard De Dutch opened downtown and made other plans.

77. stevezie says:

BlacqueJacque:
    fuzzy muppet,
    (six foot twenty and weighed a fuckjng ton)

You and I are friends now.

The sons of his oppnents wish that he was their dad.

78. justDOit says:

Ribs:
    Matheson Tweets….

Dustin needs a paleo diet…

79. BlacqueJacque says:

raventalon40: Which is why I keep saying we need a Clowe or Hartnell.

None available.

Malone maybe.

I have wanted Hartnell since his Predator days.

80. vishcosity says:

FPB-

I seem to remember something about Del Zotto playing QB on the PP right out of the blocks. While Subban did look pretty attractive in the playoffs a few years back, 1/2 on a cellar team may loosely compare to a 3/4 on a contender. Messier got sent down, iirc. Not sure if its a true measure of ability.

I’d take Del Zotto pretty easy, but I wouldn’t trade Yak for either one quite yet, let alone Yak + a 1st even if I knew I could lock them up to a 4M x 4.

81. Kris11 says:

DBO,

“Because if you can peddle Yakupov and a 1st for Subban, I’m not sure you can say no.”

Shouldn’t that read “Subban and a frst for Yakupov”?

Subban is great, but he is closer to free agency, will want a big contract now and is not on an ELC, and is reqlly not likely to not be as good a player as Yakupov, who was tracking better than Hall prior to injury in his draft year, and has a great season in the KHL, and looks like the most talented player on the Oilers (including RNH, Eberle, Hall, Hemsky, and Schultz.)

Why do people value Yakupoz less than Hall and Eberle?

82. Kris11 says:

BTW, I wouldn’t trade Yakupov for almost anything.

83. Kris11 says:

The player I would want from Montreal is Galchenyuk, and am not sure if I’d trade him and Yak straight up, but he ain’t goin anywhere anyway, so it doesn’t matter.

IMO, the oilers have a great puck mover and PP-monster in Schultz, and Petry and Smid can make good passes. They don’t need a superstar D-man, just another really good, top 4 guy who can drop N Schultz to anchor a better 3rd pairing when everyone is healthy and to create depth when everyone isn’t healthy. (Might have to waive Potter, Whitney, and obviously Peckham, but who cares).

I wonder if they can get Gunnarson out of a rebuilding TO for prospects or someone out of NJ or BUF.

84. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Kris11:
    BTW, I wouldn’t trade Yakupov for almost anything.

not for Todd Harvey?

85. justDOit says:

Story by LeBrun on how injuries are piling up already around the league – I’m going to get my skates sharpened and look for an agent!

But seriously, this means that the price on the trade market for depth players and d-men is going up. Waaaaaaaaay up!

86. Ryan says:

Kris11,

Let’s start by agreeing that winning teams don’t trade a Nail Yakupov with 2 NHL games under his belt. Period end of story. There’s a good chance he ends up the best of the litter plus the ELC situation.

Last year, Dellow got roasted by regular fans for floating the question of Eberle for Doughty. Who would you take? :)

Most NHL commentators believe that Eberle is currently better than Hall. I love Ebs, but Hall tilts the chances at EVs in a way that Eberle never will.

Some wise comment poster a few days ago reminded us that these Oilers are a bubble team. It’s important to keep that in mind.

Our wonder kids are still just kids.

Hall-Nuge-Eberle is a talented line, but it’s a very long way from today’s Getzlaff Corey Perry or gaborik Nash Richards…

I have been waiting for this for over a year now.

Paajarvi with Horcoff. This is Paajarvi’s best shot in an ideal spot. It is even better that it will be on RW, and with Smyth.

Please don’t screw this up Magnus. This is it. This is your shot to make yourself part of the cluster.

Subban and O’Reilly both want too much money and too much term. Looking for homeruns when a double would do.

There is no value for money in Subban with his contract demands. And there are these lifestyle issues.

89. Bruce McCurdy says:

Ryan: That being said, if they just kept Penner, clearly the team would be better today than having Kelfbomb and Teubert.

Given that Penner’s contract expired last June, I kinda doubt it.

90. hunter1909 says:

godot10: Subban was out partying in a club in the wee hours of a morning last Monday night in Toronto. I was too, but I am not a professional athlete.

Thankfully even the Oilers have learned from the folly of chasing cancerous players like this. I hope he ends up in Hockeytown.

FFS, even an idiot like me is giving the Oilers 16-24 games to get themselves going in the brave new world of NHL 2013. If they split their next 2 games, that’s okay also.

91. hunter1909 says:

Woo hoo Fistric In tonight!

See The Fist as he pummels whichever King he decides isn’t giving the proper respect, while drawing a penalty at the same time.

92. cabbiesmacker says:

godot10:

Subban was out partying in a club in the wee hours of a morning last Monday night in Toronto.I was too, but I am not a professional athlete.

There is no value for money in Subban with his contract demands.And there are these lifestyle issues.

93. hunter1909 says:

cabbiesmacker: but it’s not like the guy was doing blow in a backroom at the Grinder whilst winning 5 Stanley’s. ahem.

That’s really interesting team history; but I’d hold off comparing Subhan to any of the all 5 cup winning Oilers. Or any of the 4 cup winning Oilers…for that matter. Particularly if it’s a vice related matter.

94. Bruce McCurdy says:

I wanna see Eager and Fistric as a tag team.

95. Ribs says:

In the pressbox with concussions?

96. justDOit says:

Ribs:
    justDOit,

he might go for it…. http://onapinktypewriter.com/2013/01/05/paleo-pancakes/

Those look good – thanks for the recipe. After almost a half century of bad grains, I can tell you that I’m never going back down that road!

97. Captain Happy says:

cabbiesmacker: I don’t want the guy either Godot but it’s not like the guy was doing blow in a backroom at the Grinder whilst winning 5 Stanley’s. ahem.

You were there too?

98. Bruce McCurdy says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    I wanna see Eager and Fistric as a tag team.

Maybe we could go after that dude Dalton Thrower as well.

99. spoiler says:

I wanna see a Yaktrick and a Fistrick.

100. cabbiesmacker says:

Captain Happy: You were there too?

No way. Only attended the pool parties. :)

101. cabbiesmacker says:

Bruce McCurdy: Maybe we could go after that dude Dalton Thrower as well.

The Eager Fists Thrower line? Well done sir.

Bruce McCurdy:
    I wanna see Eager and Fistric as a tag team.

When they signed Eager, I felt it would be a significant upgrade on Jacques

Eager never did settle in imo and really looked bad at the “hockey skills” side doing things like catching and passing the puck on the fly. I was pretty happy with his performance in G1, but the concussion sets him back and at this point in his career (several concussions since 2007) I’m not sure how much you can count on him.

I don’t worry too much about Greene being sent down the line, no disrespect to the player intended. I just don’t see the value of spending 3M on his player type, and don’t think he delivered much in his entry level period.

103. DBO says:

G A PTS +/- PIMs PPG shots

2010 – 2011 CANADIENS 77 14 24 38 -8 124 9 0 3 197 7.1
    2011-2012 CANADIENS 81 7 29 36 9 119 5 0 0 205 3.4

+ 8 on a crap team. 105 hits. 113 blocked shots.18:11 ev minis per game. 2:36 pk. 3:29 PP.
    Started 46% in O zone. 50% O zone finish (going right direction). 2.8 GF on, 2.26 GA. Even at shots for and shots against.

He is a young, top 10 dman. No different then Eberle or Hall or Nuge. When you have an abundance of one thing and a shortage of another you use your excess to balance your team. He will be 24 this year. He has played big minutes for two straight years and would instantly be our best dman, and the first #1 we have had since Pronger. Sorry, but Yakupov is still potential. Will he be good = yes. Will he be great = probably. Is Subban great = yes. Top end D are worth more then top end forwards, especially when you already have 3 of them.

Yakupov for Subban is to me a no brainer, and as I mentioned earlier, I would add to it to make it happen. Subban, Shultz, Petry, Smid. That is a true top 4 who are as good as anyone in the league by next year.

I’m well pleased with the switcheroo on the wings, we talked about this just the other day. I take no credit for the thought that Paajarvi should do well (eventually) on a 2-way line (we’ve talked about it on this blog forever, and as with most of these ideas its kind of a group discussion that pushes it) but am pleased our little corner of the internet gets a chance to see something we’ve (the oilogosphere) been trumpeting.

As for bringing in Fistric for Powerpotterplay, I’m not certain why Whitney stays in. Someone has to play the wrong side, and the team is sitting the wrong guy.

Either way, I like the coach’s decision up front in a big way.

105. delooper says:

His end-to-end rush which led to his ?first? ?only? goal as an Oiler was a beauty. For a couple of minutes, he was infected with the spirit of Paul Coffee.

Delooper: Remember it well, he was so damn happy.

107. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: When they signed Eager, I felt it would be a significant upgrade on Jacques

It’s tough to even evaluate Eager given this is the second year in a row he got concussed in the very first game. Last year it was the Joey Moss Cup FFS, and this year being what it is, the first regular season game. With other concussions in his history and Junior Seau in the news, it is not a fun situation to ponder. I hope he recovers his health.

Lowetide: The big defenseman has some real positives imo. He’s physical, doesn’t take a lot of penalties and can sit a few games without worry. I think they’ll bring him and Smid back, doubt Whitney returns but here’s hoping.

Yeah, it’ll be interesting to see how he Fists in. :) I like the trade in theory, but in practice I’ll like it a lot more (or less) once I’ve seen this guy play a game or ten for the Oil. I always thought he was an OK bottom pairing guy in Dallas, and a real masher besides. (Ask Anton Lander)

The scary thought is that as a pairing, he and Whitney may be about as fast as those two ships that collided in Halifax Harbour. (But less manoeuvrable.)

Will be interesting to see how Whitney responds to playing on the right side, too. I’m actually going to the game tonight, sitting in the Zamboni end zone, so will keep a close eye on this pairing in the second period especially. All three pairings, come to think of it.

108. hunter1909 says:

Speaking of Greene, what about Rob Schremp’s multiple point night? Half the fanbase thought Jean Beliveau might have a son from Fulton, NY.

Cue drum roll…

109. stevezie says:

godot10: Looking for homeruns when a double would do.

Fully agree. I would love to get Subban, but our needs could be satisfied by Sekera or something similar. This is why I am still a little surprised by the Fistric trade (even though I like him)- what we needed was a top 4 guy- Not a number 1, and not a number 6. A top 4 guy would have made Potter #7 and then Robert’s our Father’s brother. Fistric adresses the wrong need.

110. hunter1909 says:

stevezie: Fistric adresses the wrong need.

So Oilers don’t need Fistric’s number one asset which is toughness, right?

Bruce: If Whitney ends up in a situation where he can’t find the puck and its under him, I need you to scream “THERE SHE BLOWS!” as loud as you can! Because sure as hell someone will run right over him.

112. delooper says:

Rob Schremp feels soooo long ago, but somehow Matt Greene was just here.

113. Ribs says:

Whitney playing on wrong side? Can he even turn both ways?!?

Poor guy.

114. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Bruce: in regard to Greene, I don’t know if he was ever a “value” player. Although I loved his size/speed combination, he was death in Edmonton (especially ’06 spring) and guys like Gilbert and Grebeshkov had no difficulty passing him. At $2.95M now, he’s a good defensive defenseman but making too much to be a value contract.

I’d be interested to hear Dean Lombardi’s honest opinion of Matt Greene’s value, but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t positive. Obviously they were able to fit him into the payroll structure, and made it work. The Kings had a well-paid, veteran stay-at-home d-man on each pairing, often paired two of them together on the PK, and they had a fantastic defensive record. There’s more than one way to skin a cat, and when a team finds success, sometimes it’s instructive to see how they did it. Sure Quick was great, but he had a little help.

That said, a limited but useful player of that nature likely has more value to a contending team than he would here. Same goes for Stoll, Penner, or even Fraser when seen in that light. But when it comes time to contend, Oilers will need a few mid-career vets like that who can take care of business.

115. Captain Happy says:

cabbiesmacker: No way. Only attended the pool parties.

What colour trunks were you wearing?

Oh, that hot tub. :)

I heard today running around that the Oilers would make a move on Theo Peckham, possibly tonight. They can send him down for conditioning, but would have to make a roster move. Who will they move off the roster?

117. Ryan says:

Bruce McCurdy: Given that Penner’s contract expired last June, I kinda doubt it.

So did Hemsky’s.

Don’t lie to me. The math loved Penner almost as much as he loved pan cakes until he arrived in LA.

I’d have Penner on my team any day. The exchanges between he and Principe alone are worth 2million a year.

119. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

All eyes on Hemsky and Brown tonight. 19-9 is already 19-11 going into G3 of a Fehr-ly short season.

I think Fistric is really being under rated by many people.

Especially math guys.

They are ignoring the math that he is a low event player. I forget who posted that both Shultz the Elder and Fistric were two of the lowest event Dmen in the NHL, but it was a good post.

Having nothing happening when your 3rd pair is on the ice is usually a good thing.

If you’ve been an Oiler fan since 06, its a great thing.

121. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Gene should find him in up the El Cid box tonight.

WG: Putting him with My Left Foot should solve that problem.

123. speeds says:

Probably a pretty easy roster move, Eager to the IR, activate Peckham, and go with 13/8/2.

124. Kris11 says:

DBO,

Would you do Hall or Eberle plus a first for Subban?

125. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Woodguy,

Low event D is really good with that elite young F.
    J. Shultz is the only D that needs the license to kill.

speeds:

Is Eager gone for awhile? Good, I hope he takes care. I think we should expect that these men are going to get treated better now that we know what happened to Reg Fleming, Bob Probert and the others who held those jobs in the past.

I really like that Rah Rah Ralph’s line up changes looked reasonable from a hockey perspective.

We’re a ways past JFJ doing his Hardy to 83′s Laurel.

128. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Hope So. Joey Moss and G1 pretty much nominates him to try out one of those impact meter helmets when ever he’s cleared to try again.

Нинтендо⁶⁴:
    Woodguy,

Low event D is really good with that elite young F.
    J. Shultz is the only D that needs the license to kill.

They have one passer per pair, which is really important for elite young F.

They need someone to calm the water on the other side.

Whitney passes the puck better than 85% (or higher) than most NHL Dmen.

Its a real shame his ankle did what it did.

I hope FIstric can help him out against 3rd pairing comp.

I’ve met Fistric. Genuine guy and nice family.

I wish him luck back in Edmonton.

130. Kris11 says:

Then Krueger is going to make him eat donuts and call him Private Pyle, while everyone e
    se has to do pushups until he loses weight.

131. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Does anyone know why centre ice live is free in Jan but Game centre isn’t?

Alternately, does anyone know how to take advantage of centre ice without cable? that’s not possible right?

At any rate, I’m more curious than excited to see Fistric in action tonight. if he can avoid mistakes and penalties, while throwing a hit or two, I’m sold.

godot10:
    I have been waiting for this for over a year now.

Paajarvi with Horcoff.This is Paajarvi’s best shot in an ideal spot.It is even better that it will be on RW, and with Smyth.

Please don’t screw this up Magnus.This is it.This is your shot to make yourself part of the cluster.

Agreed.

A young Dvorak isn’t a bad thing at all.

Even for a top 10 draft pick.

Not everyone turns out as projected from their 17 year old year.

I didn’t.

I was going to be a dentist.

Instead I sell wood.

DBO:
    Subban is a true #1 dman. the great white whale complete player, here are his stats.GA PTS +/-PIMs PPG shots

2010 – 2011CANADIENS77142438-81249031977.1
    2011-2012CANADIENS817293691195002053.4

Agreed.

HIs fancy stats are pretty awesome too.

Played hardest comp last year and had the best shot ratio of any Dman on the team. Rare for a 24 year old.

Plays all 3 disciplines well.

Yak in a heartbeat.

Hall, Eberle, RNH is a good forward core.

A good everything Dman who can shew 25+ minutes a night and excels is rare and the Oilers don’t have one.

Petry is probably closest right now.

Нинтендо⁶⁴:

I’m glad someone other than D.SF is keeping score.

Thanks.

135. LMHF#1 says:

Woodguy:

Whitney passes the puck better than 85% (or higher) than most NHL Dmen.

Its a real shame his ankle did what it did.

Kris11: I heard the move they are going to make is the move from Full Metal Jacket. They are going to wait until he is asleep in his hotel room, then everyone will beat him with socks filled witj bars of soap until he cries.

se has to do pushups until he loses weight.

When my son was about 6, he walked into our living room and asked if we could watch ‘Full Metal Jackass.’ Still haven’t seen Full Metal Jacket, but always think of that when I see something on it. Hahaha.

LMHF#1: In the SJ game he went to stop with his left foot to keep a puck in the o zone and instead gave up and let it by. The “new 100%” appears to be about 65%. Yuck. Remember when he was on Norris pace on a horrible team? Gimmie that guy back.

Damn shame.

He was unreal for a few months.

Even if he came down to earth stat wise, that was good player.

138. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:

I was going to be a dentist.

Instead I sell wood.

Wooden teeth?

Romulus Apotheosis: Wooden teeth?

Not everyday, but I bet I could source a good pair.

140. Kris11 says:

Woodguy, suppose Montreal said “No deal, unless it is Hall or Eberle and your first.”

Do you do that deal?

141. Kris11 says:

LT,

Watch Full Metal Jacket ASAP.

142. hunter1909 says:

That’s Shawn “the captain” Horcoff, with Yaks leading the charge for the eternally coveted number 10 jersey. It’s as important to international(non North American) players as befitting only the top goal scorer on any given team, and obviously Horcoff’s incredible survival skills.

143. speeds says:

DBO:

2010 – 2011CANADIENS77142438-81249031977.1
    2011-2012CANADIENS817293691195002053.4

Balance is not a goal in and of itself. Does 3 elite F and 1 elite D mean a better team than 4 elite F and 0 elite D? Does having 4 elite F mean you have a better chance of signing an elite D via UFA?

144. delooper says:

Kris11:

Do you do that deal?

If he signed a 6-year contract for 2 million a year, it would start to look tempting. But at a high cost he’s probably not worth it, especially considering Hall and Eberle want to play together.

WG: Putting him with My Left Foot should solve that problem.

I guess we get to see how much he effectis a guy like Whitney.

If the puck is moving north more than not a little more eventful isn’t a bad thing.

Kris11:

Do you do that deal?

One bright young star is enough for another. The first makes it an overpay unless you are finishing top 5 or so. This year’s draft is pretty deep by many accounts.

I might not move Hall for him.

I’d move Eberle. OIlers are deep on RW and I love Eberle, but I think Hall is a level higher.

147. Ryan says:

Yeah, I’m curious to see fistric. Hoping PRV plays well with 94/10.

Am I the only one who thinks Petrell is a wasted roster spot?

148. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Kris11:
    LT,

Watch Full Metal Jacket ASAP.

I second that… it’s really two distinct films… the first half is better IMO.

Another great film with a brutal hazing sequence… or series of them… is Young Torless:

delooper: If he signed a 6-year contract for 2 million a year, it would start to look tempting.But at a high cost he’s probably not worth it, especially considering Hall and Eberle want to play together.

Gretzky and Messier used to live together.

Both had long productive careers after they didn’t/

150. Kris11 says:

WG,

So you would trade Hall or Eberle straight up for Subban (assuming he signs to a big money deal like Hall or Eberle’s)?

151. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

Hall or Eberle and a first for subban is craziness.

152. Kris11 says:

I think the second half of FMJ is much better than lots of people say. It shows war as absurd and meaningless, the “world of shit” that the D’Onofrio character from the first half of the movie refers to.

153. Ryan says:

Woodguy: Gretzky and Messier used to live together.

Both had long productive careers after they didn’t/

True, but they were much older when that happened.

If Subban really is on the table, it’s obviously super tempting.

Woodguy: I guess we get to see how much he effectis a guy like Whitney.

155. WeridAl says:

Can someone tell me what these people are taking to believe the Subban is a option for the Oilers. Maybe they should market it, because they would become rich. Subban wants to be the top D on the team, and there is questions if he is a top pairing D. He has to mature, before that could be said, and can he mature. IMO he’s more trouble then he’s worth and Edmonton has always had bad luck with Hab players.

Penner is doing his tortoise act I understand and sounds like he’s moving around like he’s caring a ton of pancakes.

Ryan:
    Woodguy,

Hall or Eberle and a first for subban is craziness.

Agreed.

I said as much.

I’d probably do Eberle straight up though.

I have Subban in the same category as Pietrangelo and Doughty.

He’s just played on really shitty teams.

Almost as shitty as the Oilers.

157. LMHF#1 says:

Either we are shooting the lights out or Dubnyk looks horrible in warmup…hoping like hell it’s the first option.

Kris11:
    WG,

Probably not Hall.

Probably Eberle.

I owned a signed Candian Junior Jersey of Eberle’s.

I’m a huge fan.

I trade him for Subban signed long term to $6M/yr or less.

The cap will be at $80MM in 5 years.

Lowetide: Has Whitney played right side a lot? He’s a wonderful passer, that’s a good thing for sure. Question: if he can settle in on third pairing and help the PP, do you consider signing all of Smid, Whitney and Fistric? Who would be added to Petry, Schultz and Schultz?

Need to sign Smid.

Not signing Whitney.

WeridAl,

and there is questions if he is a top pairing D

Really?

What questions?

LMHF#1:

If tonight’s game makes me miss Khabibulin I swear there won’t be enough rye in the world for me tomorrow night. #Friday #oldguys

162. Rocknrolla says:

Depends how Fistric does, Smid for sure, I think they’ve put Whitney in an interesting spot. They have taken the A away, he admits he was pouting last year. I think they can get him resigned at around 1.75-2.25 because he can see the future. So long as he can be that bottom 2 guy who can lead and teach.

Woodguy: Need to sign Smid.

Not signing Whitney.

That’s what Im thinking. Use the Whitney money on a Bouwmeester (choose someone, veteran D who can do things and didn’t have an operation in San Salvador)

Smid-Petry
    Bouwmeester-Schultz
    Schultz-lottery winner from the prospects and suspects

Fistric should give Whitney more time as forecheckers will have to be aware of where Fistric is.

165. BlacqueJacque says:

Huh, so the Leafs are losing 6-3 right now, after being up 3-1 in the first.

Informal poll: would you rather lose 6-3 if it was 6-1 against you in the first, or if you were up 3-1?

166. Kris11 says:

WG,

Why is Hall better than Yakupov (especially considering injuries)?

Subban has some risk attached to him too. He doesn’t have true, elite junior pedigreep like Hall and Yak, and he hasn’t been around and successful for that many years in the NHL. The ample size is just small enough that there is a chance that some of his success, by eye or by number, is inflated and will collapse.

I’d say the better, less risky bets are the first overall picks with monster numbers in junior as forwards.

Offer everything but the former first overalls at Montreal for Subban, possible Eberle too, but that’s a hard choice.

kris: I wouldn’t trade any of the #1 overalls.

168. RickDeckard says:

Subban is good but OEL is better.

FORWARDS
    Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Sam Gagner ($3.750m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.000m)
    Nail Yakupov ($3.775m) / Ryan N.-Hopkins ($3.775m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
    Ryan Smyth ($2.250m) / Shawn Horcoff ($5.500m) / Magnus Paajarvi ($1.250m)
    Teemu Hartikainen ($1.200m) / Eric Belanger ($1.750m) / Ryan Jones ($1.500m)
    Ben Eager ($1.100m) / Chris VandeVelde ($0.900m) /
    DEFENSEMEN
    Oliver E.-Larsson ($6.000m) / Jeff Petry ($1.750m)
    Ladislav Smid ($3.750m) / Justin Schultz ($3.775m)
    Nick Schultz ($3.500m) / Oscar Klefbom ($1.275m)
    Corey Potter ($0.775m) /
    GOALTENDERS
    Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
    Yann Danis ($0.900m)
    ——
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,152,500; BONUSES: $8,900,000
    CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $147,500

It’s tight to the cap but the next year the cap should go up the year after and they can still buyout Horcoff in 2014 if they need to.

169. BlacqueJacque says:

If I were to trade Yakupov for anyone… I can’t really think of anyone.

I’m happy with our situation at centre, I’m ecstatic with right wing (eberle + hemsky? probably one of the top 5 RW combos in the league), but left wing we’re rather weak on. And if I trade Yak, it’s for a need like a top-flight power forward. And there aren’t many who playing left wing. Nash, but he’s 28 and only once hit a point per game. All the other options like Hartnell are even older.

I’d consider Seth Jones, but he’s only available after he’s drafted and he’d be playing in Hall’s 4th year. So maybe Victor Hedman or OEL and a 2nd round pick? But even then… no… I’d have to have doubts about Yakupov’s commitment to Edmonton or his ability.

Hope Hall and Doughty get it going again.

Fun watching those two playing against each other.

171. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy:
    Hope Hall and Doughty get it going again.

Fun watching those two playing against each other.

Great point. Those two always bring something extra against each other, since that hit. Not just extra physicality, but extra effort – like Doughty’s nice little stretch of a pokecheck just now.

Wow great individual effort by Yak on his backhand!

172. fuzzy muppet says:

good forecheck early

Kris11,

i don’t know what Yak is.

He may be better than Hall.

I know what Hall is and I don’t want to give that up.

Toughj minute out scorer as a teen is really, really rare.

I guess its easier to trade Yak because he’s still not known and plays RW.

If you trade either 14 or 64 you still have either 14 or 64.

Liked that first run through the lines, Yakupov with lots of try.

175. Lucinius says:

Just woke up before the game, but nice.. Like Fistric being in and Paajarvi/Harski swapping places.

Gagner line looked good.

Nice check by 91 on Kopitar as Kopitar tried to skate it out.

177. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh good grief, Horc, why the hell would you do that? =/

AND Smid?

Jesus fucking Christ if I’m Krueger I do actually give these two clowns “flu-like symptoms” for 3 games. >=[

I have absolutely no patience left for this idiocy.

Horcoff!!!!?!!?!?!?! (didn’t look that bad). And Smid? Oh for God’s sakes.

179. fuzzy muppet says:

and a dumb penalty …

180. Lucinius says:

Refs giving it to LA early.. ouch.

181. hunter1909 says:

OILERS about to start defending a 2 man disadvantage: Do you want to know what’s great about this? Captain Horcoff is so angry, he’s going to come out flying and lead the Oilers to victory tonight!!

182. Amadeus says:

I’m at the game. There is no free beer. That is all.

Fistric knocks a guy down. I like!

184. fuzzy muppet says:

Fistric already clearing the crease,,,

185. fuzzy muppet says:

Fistric already clearing the crease. I like that

186. jp says:

So far so good for Fistric. Brown felt that!

187. jb says:

This teams fucking stupid. Threw game two away with dumb penalties, could have lost game 1 off stupid penalties and there doing it for a 3rd game… That is worry-some to me.

188. hunter1909 says:

I’m not even going to watch this. I’ll go away and return in a few minutes, hopefully there’s still something worth watching.

189. Rebilled says:

NO MORE PENALTIES YOU BASTARDS

That’s AHL replacement level reffing.

Dubnyk brought the good posts tonight.

192. Lucinius says:

Very important kill — especially considering Horcoff and Smid were both in the box. Close call a couple times, though.

193. jp says:

Dubnyk VERY solid so far. And a little help from the post.

194. fuzzy muppet says:

That’s a huge early kill. Before those (questionable) penalties, they had lots of jump and a real nice forecheck

195. SK Oiler Fan says:

Brown is a diving puke. When are the zebras going to realize this?

196. BlacqueJacque says:

Dubnyk also looks slow and kind of … nervous? Am I imagining this?

197. jp says:

Woodguy:
    That’s AHL replacement level reffing.

Yeah, both of those calls could as easily not have been made. Both being called is BS reffing imo.

198. BlacqueJacque says: