NORTH BY NORTHWEST

I believe this is going to be close. The Oilers remain incredibly dedicated to playing shorthanded on the blue–a tradition now, it began in 2006–but the club’s young Jacks and Kings stand at the ready, and there may be just enough experience to navigate the rapids and find the second season.

• CALGARY FLAMES (5TH IN DIVISION, 14TH IN CONFERENCE): I think this is the year Kipper and Jarome and JayBo get lost in the flood. Jay Feaster is dancing as fast as he can, but at some point it won’t matter–and I think this is the year. On the other hand, the Flames drafting has improved mightily (their 2011 is trending, baby) and if they’re willing to deal some of those young prospects maybe Calgary can extend the string of top 3 (in the division) finishes–the last time they were in the basement was 02-03. That was the season Greg Gilbert was fired, replaced for a short time by the legendary Al MacNeil and then by the man who changed the division for a decade–Darryl Sutter.
  • COLORADO AVALANCHE (4TH IN DIVISION, 12TH IN CONFERENCE): The Avalanche–along with Minnesota and Edmonton–have stockpiled an impressive group of young players. Gabriel Landeskog looks like a future giant in the Northwest division, I’m not sure he won’t be the best of the young bunch when all is said and done. Add Ryan O’Reilly, Matt Duchene and that’s a terrific young cluster we’re going to hear about for a long, long time. The Avs had a ‘porridge’ summer, adding and retaining mid-level replacement level options. It’s the kind of summer that tells me they are unlikely to push for a playoff spot–but beware–there’s a lot of young talent here and if they explode the Avs could surprise.
  • EDMONTON OILERS (3RD IN DIVISION, 8TH IN CONFERENCE): I think the Oilers (as the RE suggests) are extremely close to being good enough for the second season. Additions like Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz, and the maturation of Hall, Eberle and the Nuge gives Edmonton a tremendous young cluster. They are fast and furious, and as we witnessed last season can already lambaste even good opponents like Chicago . The defense is the major problem–and it can be fixed to improve their standing–and the goaltending is badly in need of a stronger backup option (although I didn’t nick that area much since Danis is available at a moment’s notice). I believe the Oilers will make the playoffs, and maybe more if a quality defender is added.  Taylor Hall, super nova.
  • MINNESOTA WILD (2ND IN DIVISION, 7TH IN CONFERENCE): 2011-2012 was the fourth straight season that the Wild finished outside the playoffs, and the organization took drastic action. The addition of free agents Ryan Suter and Zach Parise–while also mantaining an enormous group of outstanding prospects–gives Minnesota tremendous hope for the immediate and long term future. Minnesota has some outstanding talent–Oiler fans are well familiar with men like Mikko Koivu, PM Bouchard and Niklas Backstrom. The problem for Minnesota has been injuries, and it is very difficult to project them because of it. I’m also wondering about their blueline–quality at the top but not terribly deep or proven–and would guess they’ll be one of the teams looking for defensive help as the season wears on. The Wild’s enormous deficit in  GF-GA last season is also a concern, but signing the two golden free agents and better health gets them here.
  • VANCOUVER CANUCKS (1ST IN DIVISION, 2ND IN CONFERENCE): This is my pick to win the Stanley Cup in 2013. Sorry. The Canucks have terrific depth, and although there are cracks forming (injuries will be the thing that kills them if it happens) they also have the assets to go out and get what is required even if they have to pay in full. The travel schedule would love a first round matchup with the Oilers, and I think they would do well to mimic Los Angeles last spring and make quick work of their early round opponents.

119 Responses to "NORTH BY NORTHWEST"

1. regwald says:

I am looking at your predictions and am seeing the Wild and ‘Nucks and thinking of both teams in disgust already and they haven’t even finalized the schedule yet.

This should be a big push year for the ‘Nucks. As for the Wild, I guess we will see who benefited more from each other – Suter or Weber. Although is 48 games too short to tell for sure ?

Dear Tambo, please go find a real defenceman. Please.

2. slopitch says:

So many ifs to the upcoming year. I like the predictions…

Minnesota could win the div if Kesler doesn’t come back. Even if they move Luongo for Bozak+, would there be enough up the middle for Vancouver to survive? Their D (Vancouver’s) is fantastic.

Colorado could suprise. That Varlamov kid has been great in the KHL and can be streaky. He could get them close.

Oilers I like to get in the dance. Lots of positive especially if they add a top 4 before the deadline.

With the shortened season, every game will be a “playoff game”. Gonna be fun to watch.

3. stevezie says:

Can’t really argue with any of this, though I think the Oil and Wild are both complete wild cards who could finish anywhere (except first).

Can anyone catch me up on where the UFA rules landed? What’s the age/seasons required? I’m just wondering about Gagner.

4. Gerta Rauss says:

Visnovsky not reporting to the Islanders, staying in the KHL.

There you go! Get Lubo! I loved that guy, my wife had to hold my hand when they traded him.

6. Gerta Rauss says:

stevezie,

I don’t think UFA rules changed at all-it was one of those items the NHL gave to the PA a few weeks back and nothing changed as far as I know ie: ELC, age to UFA, RFA, arbitration rights etc

7. Gerta Rauss says:

That situaion will be interesting..the article states that the KHL will not let players stay if they have a valid NHL contract-I suspect we haven’t heard the last of this. The only reason I posted it was because I’m scheming to get Streit on the Oilers roster this year…suspect this news doesn’t help things…:)

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

NHL player now back from RUS says KHL teams putting major pressure and huge money on table to keep NHLers from returning to North America.

It has to be asked….is Yakupov on a plane?

9. Gerta Rauss says:

I think the Oilers are close as well…maybe not a powerhouse yet but I think you can make an argument for being in the mix and keep a straight face while doing it.

One more D man…I’m not asking for Shea Weber but anybody that keeps Potter,Peckham off the opening night roster.

10. stevezie says:

Gerta Rauss,

That sucks for the Islanders. Just sucks for them. Would he report to us?

Thanks for the info, Gerta.

11. spoiler says:

Stupid astronaut.

12. spoiler says:

Crimson Tide gonna drown Notre Dame and that Pope guy.

HEY!

14. BrazilianOil says:

The Oilers really need a puck mover D, or is a better option a stay at home ? petry, j.schultz and whitney aren’t enough ?

Brazilian: I’d like–

Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz
    Whitney-Jason Smith 2000
    Peckham

16. regwald says:

That’s exactly what I thought when I saw that come through twitter this afternoon. He would be a great mentor for Schultz about picking his spots and the guy is a wonderful skater. Gosh, I miss him !

Regwald: Wonderful skater/

18. spoiler says:

Boom Baby, Bama!

That was impressive.

20. BrazilianOil says:

so put a name in ” jason smith 2000″ and what you will give you in ex change

21. slopitch says:

Brazilian, a 2nd rounder? ;)

22. spoiler says:

Gonna be a day in the lion’s den for the Catholics.

Wait until Joe MONTANA gets on the field!

24. Captain Happy says:

Minnesota:

Lost amid all the Parise/Suter hoopla were two very important signings by the Wild.

Torrey Mitchell and Zenon Konopka are both a bitch to play against and just add to the overwhelming depth at centre on the team.

Koivu

Granlund

Brodziak

Bouchard

Cullen

Mitchell

Konopka

Powe

Coyle

Phillips

While more than a few of them will be platooned on the wing, that’s about three teams worth of centres.

While I agree they could use a bit of a bump on D, Brodin is expected to be ready to play shortly and Scandella is rounding into form.

Their goaltending should be rock solid with Backstrom, Harding and Hackett.

25. Captain Happy says:

Vancouver:

The Kesler injury could be a concern but word out here on the coast is that a Loungo trade should be announced in the next 48 hours and will likely bring Tyler Bozak from the Leafs.

The Canucks have also been courting Jason Arnott as insurance so that should cover it.

With Garrison replacing the oft injured and aging Salo, the Canucks look to be better although they could certainly use a scoring winger unless Mason Raymond can get his mojo back (doubtful).

26. spoiler says:

Well, Montana is my favorite QB of all time, but this ain’t your grandpa’s Shamrocks.

This Irish team shouldn”t even be in this game, and it is going to show.

27. Captain Happy says:

Colorado:

Ryan O’Reilly remains an unsigned RFA and how that plays out could be a huge factor.

It’s likely he gets signed soon and, if so, I’m picking the Avalanche as this year’s Cinderella team

Look for a huge rebound from Matt Duchene and much better numbers from Paul Statsny.

The additions of Steve Downie and Jamie McGinn were huge for the Avalanche and they have a couple of youngsters poised to make the show in Tyson Barrie and Michael Sgarbossa.

28. hunter1909 says:

I totally agree that Oilers make the playoffs – they’re the supernova NHL future mega-team according to every non-Oiler fan I communicate with(I don’t live in an Oilers market either so that’s nearly everyone).

Lowetide I’ve got a bottle of single malt scotch with your name on it if Canyuck-yucks win the cup. I picked them to make the finals the season they actually made the finals, and not to win the cup either because I wasn’t sure they could – now I’m 100% certain they’re a spent force, ala the end of the Bertuzzi/Naslund era.

I might be biased, because if those diving clowns ever win the cup, they might as well turn the NHL into Saturday Afternoon Bowling.

29. Captain Happy says:

Edmonton:

The Oilers season will likely be defined by injuries (again)

The lack of C and D depth could be devastating if Hopkins gets hurt and if any one or two of the top 4 D is out (It’s not unusual to have two injured at the same time)

It will also be critical for Freddy to find a strategy for the kids to be able to score on the road.

Hunter: don’t make me cheer for the Canucks!

31. hunter1909 says:

Brazilian: I’d like–

Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz
    Whitney-Chris Pronger 2006
    Peckham

LOL

I wonder what Traktor would say to a 2013 Horcoff for Pronger trade, gambling on Chris’s recovery.

32. Captain Happy says:

Calgary:

Word today that Roman Cervenka is out indefinitely with a blood clot and that Tanguay will be moved to centre.

They have a very serviceable defense and potentially great goaltending but lack of scoring will be an issue although I think Hudler will surprise in a more prominent role.

33. Rebilled says:

The OKC Barons are 4th outta 5 in their division(although in the playoffs in 7th).

8th place seems interesting. A lot will depend on Dubnyk, the D, and the PP.

Vish really didn’t want to go to the Isle. He filed a grievance and lost an arbitration case. That being said, does anybody know which exact plane with coordinates…

34. Captain Happy says:

Hunter: don’t make me cheer for the Canucks!

It’s okay…I’ll take the single malt if you don’t want it :)

35. fifthcartel says:

Maybe Edmonton signs a free-agent defenseman like Campoli or Kubina to fill in for Sutton?

36. Gerta Rauss says:

fifthcartel,

That would seem like the most logical approach at this point-I mentioned Milan Jurcina yesterday but I’m not sure if he has an out clause in his Czech league contract.

37. Captain Happy says:

fifthcartel:

Kubina would be a great fit.

38. "Steve Smith" says:

Captain Happy,

…and how do you feel about Dale Tallon?

39. hunter1909 says:

Captain Happy,

Sorry. Only Lowetide is eligible.

40. Gerta Rauss says:

Captain Crunch,

Can you just go back to posting under your old moniker-this is embarrasing for everyone concerned.

41. "Steve Smith" says:

Gerta Rauss,

For whatever it’s worth, I’m concerned but wholly unembarrassed.

Captain Happy reminds me of someone, I’m just not sure who it is!

43. Gerta Rauss says:

Well ffs…we’ve been through this with Fake Craig Mactavish and a host of other identities, who the fuck does he thing he’s fooling.?

44. hunter1909 says:

“Steve Smith”,

Steve, do you think Oilers will make the playoffs?

Why?

45. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909:
    “Steve Smith”,

Steve, do you think Oilers will make the playoffs?

Why?

Thank you for asking!

I think it is more likely that they will do so over a 48 game season thanit would be over an 82 game season, which suggests that I think it, overall, more likely than not that they will miss the playoffs.

46. bookje says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

It has to be asked….is Yakupov on a plane?

Ha Ha – very funny!

But seriously, he should be on a plane by now! Anyone know?

I am preparing my email to Don Cherry, Cam Cole, Don Fehr, and Gary just in case he is not en route.

I believe I know the answer, but “Steve Smith” are you also “Captain Happy?”

48. regwald says:

bookje: Ha Ha – very funny!

But seriously, he should be on a plane by now!Anyone know?

Heard via twitter that Milan Michalek got off a team bus in the Czech league to get picked up by a buddy to head back to north america.

RNH tweeted he was finally home after 48 hrs. I think it is too early to worry if Yakupov is not on a plane today.

Now this time tomorrow, well yeah I would wonder.

49. RickDeckard says:

Captain Happy:

Their goaltending should be rock solid with Backstrom, Harding and Hackett.

Harding has MS. I would not count on him.

50. spoiler says:

Little early for me to be predicting the season… I need to see if any trades shake out, who”s really injured or not, and where the remaining FAs end up before I can lay any money down on the season.

I think LT’s philosophy is correct though. The Oil will have to be better than the Avs and Flames to have any chance of making the playoffs And judging by seasons past in the 3 point era *spits*, the Oil are probably going to have to be within 3 points of the Wild to finish 7/8 (assuming the Canucks finish first).

And they”re likely going to have be better than teams like the Stars, Ducks, Preds and one of the Yotes, Sharks or the Hawks.

CANUCKS
    BLUES
    KINGS
    WILD
    HAWKS
    SHARKS
    WINGS
    ???

I find it interesting though that Vegas has the Oil with the second highest odds to win the Cup out of the Canadian teams at 25-1.

One big trade and say a depth signing like Campoli could make a real difference. And the trade might not need to come till the deadline approaches. I do hope that someone has been calling about Benn and Subban though.

What a half of football by Alabama.

51. Captain Happy says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Captain Happy,

…and how do you feel about Dale Tallon?

Great hockey mind…watch.

52. Captain Happy says:

It appears the 48 games schedule will consist of 7 games against each NW division opponent and one home and one away against each of the other conference opponents.

So, it’s likely the playoff picture will be drawn by how teams fare in their own division.

Here’s what it looked like last season.

VS. NW

VCR – 18-5-1

CAL 15-6-3

MINN 11-12-1

EDM 8-11-5

COL 8-14-2

I think we can all agree that Minnesota is the most improved team this offseason so expect them to make a move forward.

The question is…at whose expense.

53. spoiler says:

Why is it that every time they try a new prescription on him, we get a whole “new” “personality”?

54. FPB94 says:

I like Campoli’s stint in MTL. Good shot and general feel offensively : not a defensive specialist tough.

lol. Funny thread.

56. FPB94 says:

Captain Happy,

Terrible mailman.

57. spoiler says:

Pronger has informed the Flyers he will not pass the physical due to post-concussion syndrome, for those who missed the blurb on TSN.

58. spoiler says:

It was hard not to watch Piers tonight knowing he was going to get destroyed by Alex Jones.

59. SK Oiler Fan says:

Injuries will determine the standings in a short season like this. Which of course means the Oilers will finish DFL considering their injury record and no depth at any position. If I remember the last lockout season correctly, therewere nightly groin injuries to anyone over 30
    Even if injuries are disregarded there’s no way this team gets in with that D. If Potter and Peckham are on the opening night lineup, Tambo should be fired RFN.

60. FPB94 says:

Are you guys being sarcastic or am I missing something, Alex Jones’ arguments are clearly flawed or based on limited statistics / irrelevancy (like the woman in India wanting guns doesn’t mean for squat it’s beneficial))

I suppose finding that trying to extinguish a fire with napalm is getting ”destroyed”

61. Captain Happy says:

SK Oiler Fan:

This.

Here’s an explanation of how some GM’s and agents see a shortened season:

62. bookje says:

spoiler:

63. FPB94 says:

Hugo Chavez in the line of dangerous dictators named by that weeaboo. Not mentionning he’s an extremely popular leader who took his country back on his feet by democratic ways.

64. Rondo says:

bookje,

If you want to get educated try this

65. Captain Happy says:

spoiler:

Do you prefer the old one?

66. FPB94 says:

Rondo:
    bookje,

If you want to get educated try this

Hahaha. Gotta love it when poor people think they’re part of some freedom BS when they’re just puppets of rich maggots.

BTW: If your definition of winning a debate is constantly interrupting people and dodging questions is winning, then I guess you can call your local drunkard the best winner ever.

67. Gerta Rauss says:

Captain Happy: Do you prefer the old one?

I don’t see a lot of difference to be honest with you.

68. Rebilled says:

Yakupov spotted on plane chasing Cary Grant.

69. FPB94 says:

” During the wonderful Civil Rights period through which we are now living, also known as the Founding period of America 2.0, Americans living in many of our urban areas are faced with merciless Negro savages (not that all Negroes are savages but many are) against whom they need to be armed to the teeth.”

Quote From Rondo’s magnificent link.

70. spoiler says:

Catholics finally pop their cherry.

71. Captain Happy says:

Rebilled:
    Yakupov spotted on plane chasing Cary Grant.

Yakupov spotted in a 1970 Valiant Signet being chased by a Peterbilt 281.

We all know how this ends.

Sometimes that damn Peterbilt shows up in my deams. Seriously. I’ve watched that movie too many times.

73. Rondo says:

LT,

What do you think Linus Omark is worth in a trade?

74. spoiler says:

bookje: This has nothing to do with hockey. I think you are looking for some free republic simpleton blog from south of the border.

Wow yet another ad hominem attack replacing actual thinking. What a shock.

By the way, Piers was mentioned by a poster above me–rondo–to whom I was responding. So if your problem is with the topic being raised, then I presume your problem is with him. However, I believe he was probably responding to LT’s tweet below, so maybe you should go right to the beginning of the Piers discussion?

Besides the fact this blog is especially well-known–and enjoyed–for going off topic all over the place.

Now do you have something of intelligence to add to the gun discussion or Piers Morgan, without an attack? Or are you just going to let your simple smear sit there in all its ironic glory?

Rondo:
    LT,

What do you think Linus Omark is worth in a trade?

I think he’s worth a 3rd, but the Oilers won’t get it. They’ll get a 5th rd pick or some AHL guy for the farm team. Bad asset management imo, but I’m not sure many agree.

76. stevezie says:

Look… this is probably not the best place for anyone to bring up their pet political causes. In fact, it is a bad place.

However, since you brought it up, Jones flirts with bringing up real points (there are real arguments to be made in favour of guns) and then he goes into crazy town. He is an atrocious debater, Taking no side on the debate (I’ve voiced opinions in appropriate places), Jones sounds like a three year old. That’s being generous. Morgan far from perfect, but it he sure has an easy time looking good next to Jones.

77. FPB94 says:

spoiler,

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

78. Zack says:

Brazilian: I’d like–

Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz
    Whitney-Jason Smith 2000
    Peckham

Man, Gator was one of my favourite players. How about a trade with the NYR for Dylan Mcilrath?

79. stevezie says:

spoiler:
    By the way, Piers was mentioned by a poster above me–rondo–to whom I was responding.So if your problem is with the topic being raised, then I presume your problem is with him.However, I believe he was probably responding to LT’s tweet below, so maybe you should go right to the beginning of the Piers discussion?

80. spoiler says:

FPB94: spoiler, You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Really. Enlighten me. This ought to be good.

81. spoiler says:

stevezie: Sure the board goes off topic, but the problem with discussing gun-control on here isn’t that it’s controversial, it’s that it’s complicated. If we are going to really get into the issue then we would have to stop talking about hockey, We can discuss movies and Roman history without changing the nature of the board.

Didn’t raise a word about gun control. Was referring to the two other comments about Piers already on the board. And then someone jumped overboard with some silly rhetoric.

Since their rhetoric was obviously aimed at that issue, I thought I would give him/her an honourable way out.

82. Captain Happy says:

A movie that foreshadowed the brilliance of Steven Spielberg.

Unrelenting impending doom salvaged by chance.

Perhaps a good doppleganger for Kevin Lowe and his sock puppet.

Likely a more significant contribution to the human condition than anything Hugo Chavez was able to author.

83. FPB94 says:

spoiler: Really.Enlighten me.This ought to be good.

He’s ridiculising your political views, or stance. A correct Ad Hominem would be more correct were he’d bring down your argument attacking you by saying things like ”Spoiler has incestuous relationships, he can’t be correct”. Which would have nothing to do with the arguement. Here he’s just making fun of your stance, not your personal image/behavior.

84. "Steve Smith" says:

It’s not just that it’s complicated, it’s also that it’s divisive. Roman history is plenty complicated, but the number of people around here with strong views on the subject is sufficiently limited that it’s not going to sidetrack the blog much.

For political discussion to be worthwhile, you have to work from the starting point that the person with whom you’re engaged is intelligent and has the capacity to raise valid points that you had not considered. I don’t mean that you have to believe those things of everyone; I just mean that if you don’t believe that of somebody, you shouldn’t be discussing politics with them. The same is probably true of hockey, actually – it’s just that, in this particular forum, a lot of us believe those things of each other.

Discussions of politics in many media tend to be between people who do not believe those things of each other; for whatever reason, the internet tends to be worse than most. Although it’s still better than Parliament.

Holmstrom retiring. Man. What a hockey player.

Speaking of parliament, long ago the only way to see parliament was news clips. There was a Saturday show on CBC called (I think Question Period) and they always made it look interesting–this would be the Trudeau years.

Anyway, they announce the parliamentary channel is coming and I was pumped (one of my favorite television events is the choosing of a leader in Canada. Might be the nerdiest thing about me) to see it finally, unfiltered.

Worst show in television history. Deathly boring, nothing happens. Watching in hopes of finding ‘fuddle duddle’ 2.0 but it never arrived. Turned out Question Period was doing the nation an incredible favor.

Captain Happy: A movie that foreshadowed the brilliance of Steven Spielberg.

Unrelenting impending doom salvaged by chance.

Perhaps a good doppleganger for Kevin Lowe and his sock puppet.

The first time I saw it, would have been NBC late night before SNL iirc. Anyway, I found it a ways in and it just spellbound me, like I couldn’t turn away. Then I’m watching for it, the move was called “Truck” I think instead of “Duel” (maybe I’m wrong) in the TV Times.

Maybe a year later I find it again but even later in the show. Dammit! But it has the same impact, I’m pushing my feet against the living room floor, as maniacal as Weaver as we both try to keep that fucking car from hitting the train.

I still remember that, just being so involved. I don’t know how many movies have had that kind of impact on me, but it isn’t many. I can still remember the feeling of that movie, the adrenalin.

In the middle of the bald prairie, watching it on a tv with two channels. That’s finding a gem.

87. bookje says:

Rondo:
    bookje,

If you want to get educated try this

never mind

88. Captain Happy says:

Holmstrom retiring. Man. What a hockey player.

Ryan Smyth is also in that conversation.

Lowe spitting in his face is unforgivable.

89. bookje says:

“Steve Smith”: It’s not just that it’s complicated, it’s also that it’s divisive.Roman history is plenty complicated, but the number of people around here with strong views on the subject is sufficiently limited that it’s not going to sidetrack the blog much.

Diocletian made an absolute ass clown of himself when he appointed Galerius and Constantius as Caesars. Many credit him with greatly enhancing the order and influence of Rome, but as far as I am concerned, he set the stage for inconsistant imperial policy towards Christians which would eventually seal the fate of Rome and any of you who think otherwise are just moronic buffoons!

Yeah. Smyth was taken 6th in 1994, and Holmstrom 251 picks later. Both tremendous value.

bookje: Diocletian made an absolute ass clown of himself when he appointedGalerius and Constantius as Caesars.Many credit him with greatly enhancing the order and influence of Rome, but as far as I am concerned, he set the stage for inconsistant imperial policy towards Christians which would eventually seal the fate of Rome and any of you who think otherwise are just moronic buffoons!

plus he never tied his shoelaces. Ass.

92. FPB94 says:

I liked the dude who appointed his horse as counselor and the one who attacked Neptune by having his soldiers slash with their swords at the sea; or was it the same guy?

93. Captain Happy says:

FPB94:
    I liked the dude who appointed his horse as counselorand the one who attacked Neptune by having his soldiers slash with their swords at the sea; or was it the same guy?

Caligula was a nasty brute.

94. stevezie says:

Actually speaking of the Romans, one of them made a really salient point about weapons when he said something to the affect of, “the sword tells the hand what to do with it.” I heard that quote years ago, thought it was brilliant and didn’t bother to memorize it. I’ve been looking for the source ever since.

I disagree! Divisive opinions fit right in when made flippantly. If you say NY’s Trans is a good album and I say it is bad, we might strongly disgree but it’s not like there are pages of facts and reports we can bring in to argue the point. We might discuss it, but the “debate” ends as it begins. If, however, I say Penner is good and you say he is bad, or I say guns are good and you say they’re bad- there is quite a bit to each arguement. There is loads of evidence, perspectives and anecdotes to bring to the table. It can be a very consuming discusison. You can only have one of those at a time.

I’ve never seen Duel. The endless love for it on this site will soon outwiegh’s my anti-Spielberg bias. Not that I dislike him, I’ve just never forgiven him for the cemetary scenes in Saving Private Ryan (the bookends). Other than the big-boobed grandaughters, what purpose did they serve? How did they help the narrative? I would argue they’re so cheesy they actually significantly subtract form things. Bugs me every time I see the movie. A lot.

95. bookje says:

Captain Happy – why do you use your abilities for evil? I think it would be great to truly engage with hockey debates with you if you brought your honest opinion as opposed to the selective and manipulative approach you take in an attempt to drive people mad (i.e. trolling the Oiler ‘fans’).

96. bookje says:

stevezie,

I saw that movie a long time ago and don’t remember the cemetery scene at all.

I got pissed off at the guy when he allowed two small people overpower two velociraptors when both were pushing a door from either side. What the hell man – that’s inconsistent with the story reality and it pisses me off!

97. spoiler says:

And back to hockey, some bottom end thoughts…

. He’s there to find consistent offense, is my opinion, and I don”t think he has it all figured out yet. Wouldn”t it be better to leave him there and see if he can? I wonder if he played centre whether we would be thinking of Horcoff as a comp? Same occasionally brilliant, usually mediocre shot. Solid passer. Great skating prowess and fine defensive instincts.

Hartikainen is ready and the lastest kudos from Nelson show he thinks so too. I would like to see more chirping and agitation in his game this time round

Belanger regressing to the mean would be helpful. Are the odds in our favour?

Peckham returning to the development curve he had two seasons ago would also be most helpful. He’s probably going to have to be responsible for the most fighting too.

A Whitney startiing in January has to be better than a Whitney starting in September. We’re likely getting the best Whitney we can get.

Eager seems to be marginalized by the organization and the media. He might be heading out of town on the same bus as Omark.

Petrell is a good team guy, and it’s worth seeing if he can add to his rookie season.

Smytty will be more effective for a greater percentage of the season. All good there.

Does Yak play down the order? While part of me wants to have him with two guys who can play in their own end, part of me wants to see him play on L2 against buttersoft opp. I think that’s where the Oil will play him first, and their fortunes will largely depend on how well they outscore the butter. That leaves Krueger with the option of either the kids or the vets against the other team’s best.

It’s either that or Yak plays with Horc and Smytty and they go PvP all the way down the line and hope the kids can handle it.

Potter can provide some depth offense from the point, but he doesn’t look mobile enough in our own end to my eye.

Teubert is close. Depends on when he can take the next step. Probably one more year yet.

Dammit, we had a decent defense with Sutton.

98. bookje says:

spoiler,

99. stevezie says:

bookje,

SPR begins and ends in a modern day cemetary showing an old man has a good cry and staring at a flag. It introduices no chacters, contributes nothing to the story, ruins the meaning of Hanks telling the audience to “earn this” (it turns out he was just talking to the old man! We’re of the hook!), oh, and the old man? The one who is remembering the whole story? He isn’t introduced untiul the end, so he wasn’t really there for any of it. Terrible.

Fully agree on the velocoraptors. Still love that movie though- couldn’t sleep for days after I first saw it. Scariest part of my childhood.

100. Ryan says:

Captain Happy reminds me of someone, I’m just not sure who it is!

Captain stubing?

101. Gerta Rauss says:

Ryan,

I was going to go with Kangaroo, but opted for Crunch.

102. Gerta Rauss says:

stevezie,

Yeah,but it’s got big boob grandaughters,or so I’m told.

103. stevezie says:

stevezie,

And Eager sucks! (As did my spelling.)

To answer LT’s twitter question: Some might argue that with the emergence of Schultz what this team needs isn’t another scoring D, but a shutdown man. Those guys are close, but what this team really, really needs is another good defenceman. Hungry ducks don’t turn away flax bread when they’d prefer all-grain.
    We’d be crazy not to be asking about him.

104. Traktor says:

I was scared the lockout might not end and we wouldn’t get a good draft pick.

105. spoiler says:

Sorry, that should have started off with…

I’d actually rather MPS spent the season in OKC than on the OIl roster. He’s there to find consistent offense, is my opinion, and I don”t think he has it all figured out yet. Wouldn”t it be better to leave him there and see if he can? I wonder if he played centre whether we would be thinking of Horcoff as a comp? Same occasionally brilliant, but usually mediocre shot. Solid passer. Great skating prowess and fine defensive instincts.

106. spoiler says:

bookje: spoiler, I agree with pretty much everything, but I have high hopes that Kruger can rehabilitate Eager into a useful player.

I don’t think they’re happy with his off-season, and his lack of fighting from the past season. But my faith in Krueger is probably as strong as yours.

107. Ryan says:

spoiler,

Iirc Horcoff, jones, and Smytty bled like a stuck pig against the toughs.

Or…

Put Nuge and Eberle on the butter soft with Yak or someone

And run hall-Gagner-Hemsky PVP

108. bookje says:

LT – Captain Howdy perhaps?

109. spoiler says:

Ryan: spoiler, Well, this boat won’t float unless the kid line can go PVP and come out ahead most nights.Iirc Horcoff, jones, and Smytty bled like a stuck pig against the toughs.Any way you shake the line combos, someone has to play the toughs and the Oilers bottom six isn’t built for great success in that department.Either you load up on the first line with Nuge – Hall – Eberle, then try a soft minutes out scoring line with Gagner, then a vet checking line and try to go PVP for the first line.Or…Put Nuge and Eberle on the butter soft with Yak or someoneAnd run hall-Gagner-Hemsky PVP Either way, if we shelter the top six and throw the old men to the wolves, I don’t see the second season without some upgrades.

Zone starts and defensive pairings, even systems, can have an effect here, but I know what you mean. Also, Jones won”t be there for a bit and it remains to be seen if his replacement can deliver against the toughs or not.

The talk from Stauffer has been that the three wunderkids will play first line together, so I have been going based on that premise. Otherwise I too would seriously consider the 4-89-83 combo from the end of last season.

* * * * *

LeBrun believes camps will open Sunday or Monday.

I would trade Yakupov for Benn on one of those two days. Sign him to the Hall. Trade for Douglas Murray on the other day. Say Jones + Omark/Gernat or something like that.

HALL BENN HEMS
    HART NUGE EBER
    SMYT HORC GAGN
    PAAJ BELA PETR

SMID PETR
    WHIT MURR(LHS)
    SCHU SCHU
    PECK
    POTT

Defense would still be an issue, but should hold the fort till the trade deadline.

110. bookje says:

spoiler: I don’t think they’re happy with his off-season, and his lack of fighting fromthe past season.But my faith in Krueger is probably as strong as yours.

Is that because you believe that collective coordination organized by an intervening governing body to coordinate individual behaviour through providing incentive for compliance is a more effective system than a free-for-all where incentives are set solely through economic reward for measured performance at an individual level?

111. bookje says:

By the way – that last comment is meant in good humour.

112. spoiler says:

Lol,

I’m being oppressed!! I’m being oppressed!!

113. Matt.N says:

bookje:
    stevezie,

I saw that movie a long time ago and don’t remember the cemetery scene at all.

I got pissed off at the guy when he allowed two small people overpower two velociraptors when both were pushing a door from either side.What the hell man – that’s inconsistent with the story reality and it pisses me off!

Man, I gotta watch Saving Private Ryan again. I don’t remember any velociraptor-Nazis.

114. Truth says:

Regarding Russians not returning to the NHL from the KHL: I have heard that the IIHF has acknowledged and “sort of” ratified the agreement between the NHL and KHL in which the players under contract in the NHL would be returned to their teams. The NHL should be lobbying the IIHF for strict penalties if this is not followed. They should demand the KHL teams nullify their contracts with NHL players, deeming them unable to play in the KHL even if they want to, with the threat of not allowing a Russian hockey team to participate in the Olympics in Sochi. Shouldn’t it be that easy? If the players still do not want to come to the team in which they have had a withstanding contract they will go unemployed and unpaid to stay at home in Russia.

Visnovski is a bit of a different case. He clearly does not want to play for the Islanders and probably feels he got screwed by the NHL after believing he had a NTC. I can see where he is coming from and I think he may even retire if the KHL nullifies his contract.

115. dessert1111 says:

I wonder if Linus Omark can play centre… ;)

Someone already said it, but man does Visnovsky hate the Islanders. He lost the court battle and was like “well I’d rather just not play in the NHL anymore than play on that team”

116. RexLibris says:

I may get crucified for this but, would it be better, long term, if Yakupov just finished the season in the KHL?

His contract wouldn’t kick in yet, and he could play against men in a top-six role. It would stagger another ELC to buy the team two years between re-signing Schultz and Nail.

Right now the discussion is about playing him on the off wing or moving him down to the third line. That doesn’t seem like the best choice for his development.

Just a thought.