OIL CHANGE

• Bob McKenzie: “It’s a tough call for Edmonton. If they truly believe Yakupov is clearly the best prospect, they should take him. You don’t draft by position when you’re holding the top pick. That said, if you think Ryan Murray or Griffin Reinhart, both defensemen, are in the same class as Yakupov, then you step up and take one of them and not worry about others saying Yakupov is the clear or consensus choice at No. 1. It’s going to be very interesting to see which way Edmonton goes here.”

In the days leading up to the draft I heard the following:

• The Oilers had a top 5 list and Yakupov was on it but not close to #1.
  • The scouts liked Ryan Murray, MBS wanted Reinhart (which would have involved trading down one spot but Columbus didn’t want Yakupov) and no one wanted the Russian #1.
  • Craig MacTavish has had a major impact on the organization since arriving.
  • The Oilers were very high on Mitchell Moroz, and might take him as high as the second round.
  • During the draft broadcast on tsn, James Duthie says that the final decision was made by management after the scouts had given their recommendation.  He further said that the scouts would be finding out with the rest of us what the final decision had been by management. I would dearly love to see how that played out.

We know they took the right guy. Tonight, we might see inside the process.

71 Responses to "OIL CHANGE"

1. Gazmort says:

Sweet bejesus I’m a Mila fan.

What was the article about?

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

too many buttons.

anyone know how to watch this episode without cable? think a link will crop up?

Rom: Hmmm. I’d say Oilers website but probably not until after the episode airs.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

well, they live broadcast their post game stuff on the site… or at least it looks live… there is a lot of moving floor, wall and ceiling shots as the camera guy hops from player to player

looking through the website.. I don’t see anything though… looks like I’ll have to wait.

5. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Meanwhile an ex-Oiler jams the other channels:

Never a dull moment when Georges picks buddies: Filion, The Gumbly bros, Katz, May

6. Nostradumbass says:

Anybody else here of a return of MacT’s health concerns.

I really hope the rumours are false

Well this is crap, the broadcast has been frozen for several minutes and no one at Sportsnet apparently knows.

Sheesh. Did ANYONE see the draft stuff?

9. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

the broadcast has been frozen for several minutes and no one ….. apparently knows

It’s like waiting for Steve to make a trade.

10. shane leavitt says:

Nope. Froze here too. Sportsnet isn’t the only channel i’ve had freeze this evening. (Shaw)

What a disappointment. I was really looking forward to that. Oh well, I THINK Musil liked the Russian.

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Nostradumbass:
    Anybody else here of a return of MacT’s health concerns.

I really hope the rumours are false

I can’t find anything via a simple google search…

how about … unless you have a source… there is a good chance you are the one spreading the rumor.

13. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

On again at 9 pm I think

Edit. Yes. 6 pm is sn1. 9 pm is snw.

14. sliderule says:

I posted that at least some of oiler scouts didn’t want Yakupov.This was because of his families involvement more than anything Nail was doing.They also mentioned how his scoring totals were better against poorer teams.DUH.
    They had a hard on for Murray.You think Murrays selection to WC team was happenstance.
    No it wasnt Kevin wanted to see him in action

15. bookjLe says:

Katz kid made the pick – don’t you remember

16. sliderule says:

@bookie
    Sad as it is you could be right

Well, skipped right by that. Holy.

Well, allow me to make something up since we have zero information to go on. I suspect the room was split–as we have discussed–and that the decision was made at a higher level. Hawley and Musil may have been the only two scouts in the room who were on Yakupov–that’s a case you could make.

19. bookjLe says:

sliderule:
    @bookie
    Sad as it is you could be right

That was sarcasm mocking the people who think that could be right.

20. Nostradumbass says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I can’t find anything via a simple google search…

You make a good point

Sometimes these things are common knowledge amongst people but just not talked about a lot, was not my intention to start a rumour

21. bookjLe says:

LT – could be – or it could have been 100% Yakupov all the way. I didn’t see Oil Change tonight, but will watch it later, but it is possible that the media and the Oiler’s public created a little drama where none actually existed (see every player that left town having slept with Tommy Salo’s wife for example)

Given the ‘leaks’, I suspect that you are correct, there was a split in the room (not unusual for this type of thing) and unlike in previous years where the final decision was announced to the ‘room’, this time Lowebellini kept it to themselves which meant all of the junior geeks who enjoy leaking things to their friends gave it their best guess and some of them got it wrong.

That or the Katz kid thing…

22. hunter1909 says:

I have another theory: Yakupov got picked.

23. sliderule says:

@bookjle
    You know I was serious.

24. hunter1909 says:

Has there ever been a teenaged rookie playing in the NHL with 3 goals in his first 5 games, one of Homeric proportions, who’s paradoxically already gathering a sparklingly enthusiastic posse of detractors and they’re got the noose half tied and soon will be ready to go?

How many times did Rocket Richard score 3 goals in his first 5 games of the season? More than once I imagine, but I’m calling it now: Yakupov IS that Pavel Bure/Kharlamov/Ovechkin lite…Canada has the Rocket but who the fuck ever saw him other than a now dead relation with blood kinfolk ties with the NWMP.

Yakupov is going to kill this league, he’s already bloody doing it. And Taylor Hall…my oh my is he ever about to break out into superstar status by the end of this season, imo.

25. hunter1909 says:

sliderule: When you have your kid in the draft room when you are finalizing your selection you have to think that he is part of your decision process or your just mocking your employees.

They would certainly ask the nipper for his opinion, but if seriously they must consider the opines of a 13esque mini-Katz then I’m a Dutchman.

Hunter: I think fans are onside with Nail.

27. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909:
    I have another theory: Yakupov got picked.

Man, I’ve never been a detractor of yours, per se, but I have been in the camp that’s considered you an entertaining drunken sideshow to the grown-up talk. But you’re fast converting me to…well, not an admirer of yours, per se, but…something like that.

28. sliderule says:

@ hunter
    I wanted Yak over Murray from day one.
    I still like him and think he will be a great player.
    Much like Hall in his rookie year he is pissing off a few of old guard (Belanger Whitney ) who won’t even be here next year.
    The captain has tried to help and I give him credit for that.

29. bookjLe says:

“Steve Smith”: Man, I’ve never been a detractor of yours, per se, but I have been in the camp that’s considered you an entertaining drunken sideshow to the grown-up talk.But you’re fast converting me to…well, not an admirer of yours, per se, but…something like that.

Hunter, like DSF, was and angry man 2 years ago. Angry at the Oilers management and their whale hunting ways. However, there came a moment when he bought into the rebuild and started recognizing the effectiveness with which management was flushing the old and building something great. I look forward to DSF joining the party soon.

30. hunter1909 says:

One of my fave mental images if/when I’m spending time in the Hanoi Hilton has got to be Steve Tambellini’s shit eating grin…That lucky fuck won the lottery and bingo! Yakupov.

I want to scream with a 2 year old’s crazy joy at the thought of Yaks and Hall playing together for the next 5-7 years.

31. "Steve Smith" says:

bookjLe: Hunter, like DSF, was and angry man 2 years ago.Angry at the Oilers management and their whale hunting ways.However,there came a moment when he bought into the rebuild and started recognizingthe effectiveness withwhich managementwas flushing the old and building something great.I look forward toDSF joining the party soon.

I don’t think that the Hunter/DSF comparison works at all. DSF is calculating, cerebral, and disingenuous. Hunter is drunk and passionate. Totally different.

32. bookjLe says:

hunter1909:

There is a part of me that would love the Oilers to finish just outside of the playoffs and then win the lottery draft as a result of the ‘Oiler rule’ designed to prevent teams from winning multiple lottery drafts and getting the first overall.

33. Jesse says:

LT, I’m not sure if you noticed, but our boy tweeted out one of your catchphrases

@Nail10_1993: Not bad :):):) not bad :)

34. TheseColoursDontRun says:

Anyone else trying to watch the second airing and seeing soccer instead?

35. ASkoreyko says:

TheseColoursDontRun:
    Anyone else trying to watch the second airing and seeing soccer instead?

It is on there now, the game must of went over time.

I wish they’d spent more time on the draft.

37. speeds says:

I wish they’d spent more time on the draft.

LT, what do you read from the way that draft section of the hour was cut? If MacGregor were completely behind the Yakupov pick, strongly backing it, do you find it strange they didn’t have a clip with the head scout enthusiastically endorsing the pick? I’m not really sure who has final cut there, I suppose that could have been the case and it just wasn’t included, but it does seem strange that you wouldn’t include the head scout’s opinion on the guy the team picks at #1 overall.

Agree. Actually, the gentleman who gave the last quote (‘eventually the management makes the decision’) was in the spot MBS have been. It was one weird spring.

39. bookjLe says:

The one thing Stu said was that it was harder and more uncertain than pin previous years.

40. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I’m no detective but here’s my take.

Interesting comments, sounds like he was in the Yakupov camp, however body language looks like he might have been in the minority along with Musil amongst the scouts.

Ether way, I think the Oilers hit a home run with the bases loaded with Yakupov……….If the Oilers can teach him basic defense look out! Ha.

41. Ribs says:

The draft clips made me feel like Yakupov was the guy, but I couldn’t help but to question it. We’ve heard from Musil before, have we heard from the other guys? Were their comments random, or decidedly added?

I was kind of surprised that they didn’t really mention how Gretzky & Co. were called upon to lure the Great White Schultz.

Loved the Yakupov clip where he steps on to the ice (even if it was staged).

It’s really cool to have this inside look at the team and the operations behind it. I hope it airs forever.

42. Clay says:

“Steve Smith”: I don’t think that the Hunter/DSF comparison works at all.DSF is calculating, cerebral, and disingenuous.Hunter is drunk and passionate.Totally different.

Hunter is an actual Oilers fan, albeit disgruntled at times, but I was under the impression that DSF was a Canucks fan who just likes to stir the pot. Comparing the two is a bit like comparing apples and dbags.

43. mc79hockey says:

I’m more convinced now than I was that something happened to change the pick. Too many reasons to think Murray was the guy, IMO.

1) The local guys were all dropping Murray hints on the morning of the draft;

2) Larionov was pissed and wouldn’t do Edmonton radio the day of the draft, basically saying, if they don’t want to talk me, why am I going to go on their radio station; and

3) Now we get this Oil Change that’s cut completely differently from the last two as far as showing us the draft process and the decision moment. There’s basically nothing in it other than two guys giving positive opinions on Yak. Nothing else shot the day of the draft. And it’s not like they had a ton of material for this “Hey, can we get some more shots of Hall eating sushi?”

We’ll never know unless Tambo leaves on bad terms and crayons out a book blaming everyone else but something happened.

44. spoiler says:

Don’t know if this was covered in the last thread as I’ve been slaughtered at work this past bit, but why wasn’t Khabeeb sent down to the minors for a conditioning stint?

Or are 40yr old bodies with extended layoffs and hip surgeries and more miles than the Los Angeles Freeway System just simply good to go?

45. nelson88 says:

I’m not much for conspiracy theories but on this issue MC’s take sound pretty plausible. I was for a Galchenyuk pick and still believe he has is likely to be a bigger difference maker (in a few years) on a contending team. Having said that Yak is going to be a very good player and alls well that ends well.

46. bookjLe says:

mc79hockey,

Or there was so many xenophobic comments about Russians and/or mentions of the KHL that they had few ‘clean’ clips to show.

47. bookjLe says:

Also, they did make it clear that the rank and file scouts did not know what the pick was and that only the executive did. So, I am not sure ‘change’ is the correct term. Perhaps more scouts were in favor of someone other than Yak and management selected Yak.

48. dessert1111 says:

This seems like the type of story that won’t ever be actually settled until 25 years later, if at all, when the parties involved are very old men. It’s a shame, but I don’t foresee anyone legitimate coming out and clarifying what actually happened.

49. bookjLe says:

dessert1111:

They picked Yakupov. You’re welcome.

50. asiaoil says:

Yeah Murray would have been sweet at #1. What’s he now considered – maybe the 5th or 6th best pick and maybe the 3rd best dman of the 2012 draft. Would have been an epic fail and good on whoever over-ruled the hired help. Galchenyuk probably fit our needs better and may end up being better – but I don’t blame anyone for passing him at #1. Too many unknowns with his injury. You go with skill and BPA at #1, and while you can argue about that, no one in their right mind could make the case for Murray as the most skilled player in that draft.

At the time, Yakupov was clearly #1. I don’t think anyone can reasonably fault the pick, no matter what the future holds.

52. BlacqueJacque says:

Yeah, plus I’d hate to feel like the Blues fans must have as the Johnson pick played out. Especially as you compare Seth to Ryan – 3 extra inches, 20 extra pounds, not much slower, as talented offensively and described by almost every scout as “unique”.

53. BlacqueJacque says:

And let’s not forget this is the second year in a row that Murray has suffered serious injury.

I bet we will be able to trade Yak for a young #1 with fewer question marks than Murray, if we have to.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

For some reason they aren’t going to upload it to the website for a week:

crap… and you guys are all spoilers btw except for Spoiler who’s been busy at work.

Yak was the right choice how ever many months out. Good job somebody.

Murray may still work out, but Truba looks better, Reinhart and Reilly both look limited and Galchenyuk may be solid, but you know the fans would complain about his size and/or grit.

I don’t see how the people complaining about the C position (myself included to some degree) are satiated by Galchenyuk or Seguin… two not Thortons/Kesslers scoring points on the wings doesn’t solve anything up the middle.

55. Bruce McCurdy says:

The great unknown is, if Oilers had taken Murray, would they have been able to sign Schultz? That signing didn’t happen in a vacuum.

56. asiaoil says:

Bruce McCurdy:

…..and the Gilbert trade only makes sense with Schultz signing last summer. Rumors of Anaheim being pissed about tampering might have some legs.

57. BlacqueJacque says:

asiaoil,

Gilbert trade makes sense on Petry’s play alone, imo.

Yakupov over Murray (especially overruling the scouts) makes sense when you know Schultz is coming.

58. BlacqueJacque says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Why not? Murray wouldn’t be at Schultz’s level yet (and judging by Justin’s play, Murray may never get there.). Hell, we weren’t expecting Schultz to be our number one and yet he is.

59. DeadmanWaking says:

Gazmort: Sweet bejesus I’m a Mila fan.

At one point in VCB, Vicky refers to a mysterious companion as her “language instructor”–that most transparent cliche–which instantly put me in mind of A Fish Called Wanda. Cleese is so damn flexible and JLC does the best double-snake since Chancey Gardiner serenely confided “I like to watch”.

This is my bodyguard

When asked in Russian why Timberlake was acting instead of making more music, Kunis took offense and shot back in her native tongue. “Why movies? Why not?” Kunis testily replied. “What kind of question is that? Why are you here?”.

This is all soooooo wrong. 1) She already speaks Russian. 2) I’m pretty much stuck with English and Thesauri. 3) and, damn, I’ve never killed a rabid bear in one-armed combat … so 4) my accent just wouldn’t be right, and … 5) did I mention, she already speaks Russian? 6) Finally–and fatally–she has perhaps herself killed a rabid bear in one-armed combat. What’s left for a man to do?

Kunis [] credits listening to the simple vocabulary of longtime “The Price Is Right” host Bob Barker with helping her develop a speedy fluency in English after moving [] to California from Ukraine at age 7.

“Ryan Whitney, come on down, you’re the next contestant on The Hood Fits Tight“–recalling my own line from a previous post about the book Spy the Lie.

Television sure has changed a lot since I grew up. But you know, even as a teenage toddler, I harbored deep misgivings about “The” price. The Price is Right … right where we want you. The pricing formula behind the scenes was mainly designed to force the successful contestant to quantify status. Goods that looked “statusy” always had wacky, aspirational prices.

Kahneman had a great chapter on how we can assign numbers to almost anything by a kind of metaphorical projection, which grants people a capacity to give strangely consistent answers to questions of the form: Is Kunis more hot than Sheen is angry?

Tough one. Depends on how effectively I mentally Photoshop Timberlake and Kucher out of the picture.

The Moneyball Mojo For Getting On ‘The Price Is Right’

Television sure has changed a lot since I grew up. Actually, I never paid any attention at all to the draft and bobble. I deeply suspected the whole thing was coked. For some reason I could never go ropey over gaming a rigged system, and especially not if Phase II involved Puddin’ on The Reeeeitz in garish Hawaiian shirts. My god, Kunis is not dressing that way to attract panini-maker-mad touristes americanos (dos touristes americanos as Cruz hisses it, uncaptioned, as if even sophisticated Euro-hunks are allowed singular moments of weakness).

Hmmm, all the characters from Young Frankenstein appearing on a The Price Is Right mockumentary. JARVIS, get on it. I want the dippy doctor, the deadpan chunky munster, Igor with the wandering eye, Frau Blücher, and two Teri Garrs, one pert, one bubbly.

JARVIS: Oh, I think I might have that scenario, uhh … already on file, just give me a blinking second while I rummage … auxiliary storage.

The Gilbert Schultz trade also makes sense if Gilbert told the Oilers that he wasn’t interested in signing an extension at the end of his current contract.

61. lawrenharris says:

Incidentally, it seems that everybody here is pronouncing Yakupov’s name wrong – YAKupov. The KHL clips featured the announcers screaming YaKOOpov, YaKOOpov! Unless they were pronouncing it wrong, of course…

62. BlacqueJacque says:

Deadman really strikes me a schizophrenic…

63. BlacqueJacque says:

We are pronouncing the surname correctly, but the accent is wrong. The first name we are definitely mispronouncing. ,it’s more like “nah-EEL”

64. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

There were only two choices the Oilers could have made one was Yakupov and the other was Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk has 5 points in 5 games and uses his big frame to drive the net, he is going to be better then Seguin.

As for choosing Yakupov, I think the Oilers still made the right choice.

65. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Wes Mantooth-11,

well… since the team evidently thought Murray was in the mix and leaked to that effect, I don’t think there is any harm discussing the possibility.

Galchenyuk is a player. I’m just noting that the people who seem to think Cs and size are paramount probably wouldn’t be assuaged by him or Seguin, their rhetoric aside — especially considering neither is massive (though Gal is biggish) and neither is playing C.

66. B S says:

I haven’t seen the new Oil Change yet, but the purported change in draft coverage is scary. Yakupov was putting up Stamkos-like predraft numbers, and no-one in last years draft was Drew Doughty. Yak was so far ahead in the #1 slot there shouldn’t have even been a debate with anyone (Galchenyuk healthy could have made an argument, but then Yak’s numbers would have likely hit Demi-god status). Murray wasn’t even the best D-man in the draft. I just chalked all the “Murray, Yak, or Reinhardt” talk up to the usual TSN and Oilers Radio sensationalism, making up stories again. That there is any scouting staff in the organization that would consider taking Schenn over Stamkos (even excluding their NHL careers) terrifies me.

67. hunter1909 says:

What amazes me is the fact I don’t remember noticing RNH more than 2 or 3 times this season, it’s just Hall and Eberle while RNH quietly goes about his trajectory to the Olympics.

Three ring circuses operate in the same manner – for example, how the hell can anyone miss a death defying net-taken-away-with-death below highwire act, even if in the next ring they’re slaughtering elephants, then tossing the ivory into a howling mob of clowns who then joust to the death with them on specially trained zebras?

68. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

BlacqueJacque,

If the AI guys behind that magestic free association ever break the 4th wall they really ought to do the 2001 Daisy send off.

69. russ99 says:

I still think all the draft day noise was an attempt to squeeze something out of Columbus to move up to #1 and take Murray, and they didn’t bite.

Still think Yak was the pick all along. IMO, they didn’t want to stall the rebuild waiting for a guy like Murray to develop in the WHL and AHL for a few years, they wanted a guy to step in ASAP.

russ99:

But that doesn’t explain Larionov blowing off the EDM radio interview. I think there was something there–some kind of disconnect–and I do believe MacT’s arrival is a good place to start the investigation.

71. Zipdot says:

BlacqueJacque:
    We are pronouncing the surname correctly, but the accent is wrong.The first name we are definitely mispronouncing. ,it’s more like “nah-EEL”

Not quite. Yak said that he’d rather people say Nail (“nayl”) because they try to say it right and get funny with it, like saying nah-eel. It’s more like “nile” than nah-eel.