- Bob McKenzie: “It’s a tough call for Edmonton. If they truly believe Yakupov is clearly the best prospect, they should take him. You don’t draft by position when you’re holding the top pick. That said, if you think Ryan Murray or Griffin Reinhart, both defensemen, are in the same class as Yakupov, then you step up and take one of them and not worry about others saying Yakupov is the clear or consensus choice at No. 1. It’s going to be very interesting to see which way Edmonton goes here.”
In the days leading up to the draft I heard the following:
- The Oilers had a top 5 list and Yakupov was on it but not close to #1.
- The scouts liked Ryan Murray, MBS wanted Reinhart (which would have involved trading down one spot but Columbus didn’t want Yakupov) and no one wanted the Russian #1.
- Craig MacTavish has had a major impact on the organization since arriving.
- The Oilers were very high on Mitchell Moroz, and might take him as high as the second round.
- During the draft broadcast on tsn, James Duthie says that the final decision was made by management after the scouts had given their recommendation. He further said that the scouts would be finding out with the rest of us what the final decision had been by management. I would dearly love to see how that played out.
We know they took the right guy. Tonight, we might see inside the process.