OILERS ACQUIRE FISTRIC

for a 3rd rd pick in the 2013 draft. More to come.

64 Responses to "OILERS ACQUIRE FISTRIC"

1. BlacqueJacque says:

Another left-shooting stay-at-home d-man? He has plus size, at least…

Good grief, I sound like an NFL pundit. “plus size”. Too much playoff football.

2. oilersfan says:

they gave up their third rounder in this year’s draft for him.

anybody have advanced stats on Fistric?

i won’t even go to oilersnation today to see what those losers do with Fist…

3. Moose says:

The Cog’s pick was a 2nd not a third. Makes the price more palatable for a pending UFA knowing we have two 2nd round picks.

4. BlacqueJacque says:

Matt.N:

Great find.

“As recently as last season they still didn’t trust him to play against top competition. He posted the lowest Quality of Competition rating of any of the Stars blueliners. Yes, lower than Adam Pardy. It’s been part of his story his entire career in Dallas. Each of the past three years he’s either been the least trusted or one of the two least trusted defensemen in the lineup

There is something to be said for having a player in the lineup that can be trusted to play in his own end, but not against top competition, I suppose. Obviously, this isn’t a player that a team builds around, but there is some value to being a steady hand at the bottom of the roster. The problem is when that player heads towards unrestricted free agency and begins to get expensive.”

A better Cam Barker? Don’t the Oil have plenty of 6-7 dmen?

5. russ99 says:

Big guy, decent slater for his size, huge hitter. All for a pick that stu would use to overreach on a coke machine. What’s not to like?

6. rich says:

BlacqueJacque: A better Cam Barker? Don’t the Oil have plenty of 6-7 dmen?

Or is it a better Teddy Peckman because Fistric will at least hit someone?

7. dessert1111 says:

Is Peckham injured? About to be traded? I’d have to think he’s going to be traded now, even if just for a 4th round pick. I know nothing about the new guy but presume he’s viewed as a guy of Sutton’s mould and an improvement over Peckham.

8. Clay says:

Fistric is what the Oilers hope guys like Plante and Peckham become one day.

9. Moose says:

Also let’s Teubert go back to OKC to help try and keep them afloat. Wonder if there’s any chance they can get Peckham through waivers to help them down there as well.

10. Kris11 says:

The other possibility is that Peckham’s game has degraded to where he can’t be relied on to be a solid AHL’er, either due to fitness (he was a big guy) or small injuries.

11. hunter1909 says:

My fave Stars defenceman!!

He actually crosschecks in front of his goalmouth!!

This is great!

12. "Steve Smith" says:

Put up good zoneshift and mediocre Corsi playing pretty weak competition; fewest five-on-five minutes of any Dallas regular defenceman. I think he’s probably fine as a third-pairing guy, and the price is about fair. Not too exciting, but probably a good move if the Oilers aren’t tanking this year. He’s this year’s Vandermeer/Sutton, except that we didn’t unload a terrible contract in order to pick him up (although unlike those two, Fistric’s also not on a terrible contract, so I guess there’s that).

13. Moose says:

Seem to recall Fistric also playing some forward for Dallas. Maybe he’ll center a line with Smid ;-)

14. BONVIE says:

Clay,

I am getting that feeling as well, it sounds to me that he is very similar to Peckham and would likely fill out the bottom pairing. I cant see them both being in the lineup.

15. wheatnoil says:

Oilers D (only in rough depth chart format, :
    1 – 2) Petry / Smid
    3 – 4) Schultz / Schultz
    5) Whitney
    6, 7, 8) Potter / Peckham / Fistric

That looks a little better to me than earlier today… particularly if Whitney is truly healthy and can play a top 4 role. That means we’re two injuries away from Teubert being called up, not one and even longer before someone like Marincin has to go at it this year. Maybe Peckham or Potter gets waived and play in OKC, which might be good for either of them and OKC.

16. Jordan says:

I really like this move. A little dissapointed they have to give up a 3rd, and not a 4th, but… Fistric is a good fit for the team’s needs.

Also – he’s a former 1st rounder – #28 in 2004. Gotta love that Pedigree… :P

Might be a little much to expect him to become Smith 2.0, but he’s the right type of player to do it. Let’s hope him and Whitney have some chemistry!

17. striatic says:

Derek,

damn.

18. raventalon40 says:

I’m very okay with this trade. We haven’t had a real mean bastard who can fill an important role on this team (and yes, I think the bottom pairing is an important role). If he can play the toughs then let him eat those minutes up in the D-zone starts. Love it.

The only negative coming out of this training camp seems to be Potter won’t be seeing any PP time this year, but if that’s the price to pay to make people think twice when they enter our zone, so be it.

I love Peckham but he needs to progress. Competition is never bad.

19. BONVIE says:

wheatnoil,

I would have him in the 5/6 spot ahead of Potter and Peckham.

20. wheatnoil says:

BONVIE,

That’s fair. My intention was only to slot him behind Whitney, but clearly above Teubert, indicating he’s a bottom end talent, but an NHL player. Sounds like the Stars were hoping that he’d take a step up soon and were getting tired of waiting for him to do so (based on the article posted earlier in the comments). Sounds a lot like both Potter and Peckham, though you’re right that Fistric is likely a step above both of them. Either way, if one of them can take a step forward, then that’s a positive. If not, then there’s at least another depth D before the Oilers have to play clear AHL players at the NHL level.

21. Clay says:

Derek,

Added plus that it’s Nystrom who he beats with his own helmet.

22. FPB94 says:

A 3rd round choice for waiver-fodder.

He’s okay.

23. LMHF#1 says:

Well, I hope his work ethic has improved since high school. I suspect it has but still this was a guy who had more skill and size than he knew what to do with.

Still takes too many penalties. Married a girl from our high school though so you’d think he’d be happy to be coming home. We’ll see how it works for him.

24. Gerta Rauss says:

I’ve always viewed Fistric and Peckham as comparables..similar games imo

Any addition is welcome I guess-I was hoping for an NHL D a little higher up the food chain-maybe if Peckham is flipped for another D this could still work.

25. Derek says:

LMHF#1:

From JW at Cult of Hockey:

He also adds a physical element, leading the Stars blue line with 235 hits last season (note: because of differences in the way teams count hitting, 235 hits in Dallas is not necessarily the same as 235 hits in Edmonton) and generally dropping the glovesa couple of times per season. Remarkably for such a physical player, Fistric also manages to avoid penalties – last season he was in the box for just 41 minutes, and took penalties at less than half the rate that Andy Sutton did.

He’s on an older guy in the mould of Jason Smith, on the end of his RFA contract. Theres still a strong possibility at his age his defensive game improves. A good gamble, reminiscent of the Kevin Lowe d-man finds of the early 2000′s. If it doesn’t work out hes a cheaper, less penalty-prone version of Andy Sutton for a 3rd.

Also he’s got a mean streak so he’ll find support with the people of Edmonton before long.

26. FastOil says:

At least a body. I wonder if his grit was more enticing than the fact he’s a local guy.

Does this mean they don’t grasp that there are non scoring D that are cheap and are decent defensively, or that Steve isn’t ready to give up the draft spotlight quite yet?

27. B S says:

Clay,

Now we just need to see if he’s willing to do that to Nystrom again, without being provoked. He seems like the sort of depth defenseman we could do without for 5 game suspension. Could be good for keeping opposing players honest around the kids.

Also, Nystrom picking a fight over a clean hip-check? If possible I might have even less respect for the D-bag.

28. LMHF#1 says:

Derek: From JW at Cult of Hockey:

I should have phrased that differently. Too many unnecessary penalties. Not preventing goals. It’s true his overall PIM is decent.

29. Mr. K says:

Just got this text about Hemsky from my brother who was at the practice today:

“ He fell on his arm and it was really hanging and he was grimacing. Stayed on ice tho…”

Uh oh.

30. speeds says:

Moose:

IMO the 3rd is a bit steep for what he brings, but they could likely move him at the deadline were they so inclined for a similar pick.

31. striatic says:

Corsi Rel QoC 2nd lowest on the Stars last year.

so he was getting extremely easy opposition and still finished -3 on the year, without providing any offense.

so he’s a very, very slightly better Peckham. unsure if he can PK.

Peckham apparently injured, so this trade makes more sense in light of that.

32. Clay says:

So now Fedun has been recalled – Peckham must be hurt for real.

33. dessert1111 says:

Fedun called up to training camp apparently. Not done with moves yet? It seems like that will make 9 D with this new addition and sans Peckham…

34. jp says:

More hits than anyone on the Oilers last year. More depth at very least.

striatic,

Wonder if Peckham injured himself by overexertion yesterday. Or if he just has a “middle body” injury due to too many cheeseburgers.

Hopefully he has a “real” injury. I guess that would be better than coming to camp badly out of shape given his position on the team. I think that would be better…

35. Rocknrolla says:

Derek,

Great clip… clobbers him with his helmet…and against the flames…love it!

36. speeds says:

Fistric is another D that has a bit on an injury history

37. B S says:

speeds,

Couldn’t be an Oiler otherwise.

38. bookje says:

Mr. K:
    Just got this text about Hemsky from my brother who was at the practice today:

Uh oh.

Does your brother like to make jokes?

39. bookje says:

LMHF#1:

Ralph will fix him!

40. Moose says:

speeds,

I think it’s fine, and to your point, the going rate for depth d-men at the deadline always seems to be a 2nd round pick. Fairly low risk deal since the player seems to have stablished his floor and ceiling. Next order of business is to lock up Smid, and make a decision on Whitney.

41. Mr. K says:

bookje,

Not about this. I don’t think anyways.

42. Rondo says:

LT,

At what point could the Oilers inquire about Ryan O’Reilly?

43. coolwasabi says:

Great trade.
    He’s an NHL defenceman. He’s fairly good defensively. He’s a pending UFA. He’s physical but doesn’t take stupid penalties. Gotta credit Tambellini here. Good move.

44. FPB94 says:

Rondo:
    LT,

At what point could the Oilers inquire about Ryan O’Reilly?

That’l cost an arm and a leg. Then again the last two times the Avalanche traded they got fleeced so bad we should try it out.

45. Ivan says:

I remember Fistric leveling Pisani when he played for Chicago. I dug up the clip and the announcer described the hit as “blunt force trauma”.
    Yes, please.

46. Ribs says:

Oilers acquire a defenseman from the Stars but damn – it’s not Larsen. Ah well.

47. OilLeak says:

Hmmn he had the lowest GA/60 out of all the regular Star defenders, but the highest EVS% so it looks like he ran into a bit of luck last year considering the previous year he allowed the second most goals of Dallas D-man and had a poor EVSV%. I would have him ahead of Peckham just because Peckham was absolutely brutal last year, but he’s a depth defender and won’t replace the loss of Sutton on the blueline.

48. Gerta Rauss says:

Tambellini on the Fistric deal

“reminds us we better have some depth(on D)”
    -he refers to the Plante ,Sutton and Peckham injuries(which is day to day)
    -doesn’t believe Sutton will play again this season
    -Fistric plays both sides apparently(R and L defence)

49. Truth says:

jp:

I’ve been guessing cheeseburgers ever since he left the ECHL after a game or two. I’m counting him out as a viable option for this season.

I like the Fistric deal in that he should be coming into his own as an NHL defenceman within the next couple of years and that he is a local boy with a year left on his deal. Potential for the hometown discount plus the opportunity to play on a hopefully up and coming team. Seems to be the deal they should have made instead of Sutton 2 years ago. Getting anything at all for Foster was just a bonus, however.

Finally Tambellini is buying and not selling.

50. rickithebear says:

Would be our #1 pk D.
    Replaces sutton’s numbers.

51. Rondo says:

Rondo,

I would imagine Gagner and MPS for Ryan

52. stevezie says:

I am over the moon about this trade. Why? I have always liked Fistric. Every time we play the Stars I found myself saying, “I wish we had that guy.” The logical part of my brain sees him as a third pairing guy- nothing special but a solid NHLer and mercy mercy did we need one of those. Good acquisition. The emotional part is thrilled that we got that boy I like! I feel like a schoolgirl!
    Between this and the Hemsky contract I’m starting to wonder if Tambo actually wants to make the playoffs this year.

Rondo:
    LT,

At what point could the Oilers inquire about Ryan O’Reilly?

Last week I hope. I wouldn’t stop sniffing around Subban either. These are two great players who fit needs (O’Reilly almost to a T) who can’t get signed. Inquiring should be an automatic.

Rondo: I was about to answer but Stevezie already answered it. O’Reilly’s gold.

54. speeds says:

Gerta Rauss,

Also from the Tambellini presser (thanks to MC79 for noting this), he mentions that the RD look pretty entrenched already, with Petry, J.Schultz, and Potter, so if that’s the case I would imagine they see Fistric coming in as the 7th D?

55. Factotum says:

LT will know why, but my subconscious has always wanted to call Fistric “The Bird”.

This is a good move by Tambellini.

56. FPB94 says:

Colorado traded away 2 gold pieces (Shattenkirk and Stewart) for a silver coin and dirt. So there’s hope.

speeds:
    Gerta Rauss,

Tambellini made an error. There’s no way you make this trade and then have Fistric sit. No way.

58. speeds says:

Didn’t sound like he made an error and said the wrong name while listing some players, he went on for a little bit about Potter establishing himself as an everyday player.

Strangely, my total thoughts on what the trade says is a stronger endorsement if they do see Fistric as the 7th D, even though, paradoxically, it may mean they overpaid a bit for a 7th D (and you could argue if they just see Fistric as a 7th they’d have been better off just signing a UFA and keeping the 3rd). Injuries happen and upgrading the 7th D is probably more important for the Oilers than most teams.

Well they’ll both play but imo the worry is Whitney. If you put potter and Whitney together do you have a better defensive pairing than Whitney-Fistric? I don’t think you do.

Now, if Whitney is completely healthy he moves up to the top pairing, perhaps with Petry or J Schultz. Then you still have Fistric who is available on the third pairing for the player who falls out of the top 4 (in this case Nick Schultz).

60. speeds says:

What makes a better defensive pairing? Somewhat better once the puck is in your own zone, or somewhat better at getting the puck up ice and helping when the puck is in the offensive zone?

I get the argument for Fistric, especially if you see him as a regular PK contributor, but I also get the argument for Potter. A defensive D doesn’t do the same thing as MAB on the 3rd pair, but which one you prefer might say more about your philosophy than it does about the actual competency of either player.

speeds: I like Potter, to the point where I’d like them to keep 8D instead of risking waivers. And if Potter is an option for the 2nd PP then I see your point.

It probably doesn’t matter anyway, lol. There’ll be an injury along soon enough.

62. Zipdot says:

Truth: Seems to be the deal they should have made instead of Sutton 2 years ago. Getting anything at all for Foster was just a bonus, however.

No way, everyone liked the Sutton deal! How can you not like Sutton? “ARE YOU AN EXPERT??”