OILERS AT COYOTES G6 (12-13) 30.1.13

The NHL trade deadline is April 3. Edmonton traditionally sends away their veterans on that day, going back to the Ryan Smyth to the Islanders trade. There was a time–2006–when Kevin Lowe added some wonderful things to a game roster. We’re far too early in the season to even think about the deadline, but there are some interesting things to discuss:

• With Theo Peckham back and close to ready, will the Oilers trade one of their defensemen? The club has Smid-Petry, Schultz-Schultz, Whitney-Potter and Fistric-Peckham currently. That’s eight, one too many and the only one who can be sent down without waiver worry is Schultz the younger. I suspect a lot of it has to do with the coach’s preference, but with four UFA’s (Smid, Whitney, Fistric, Sutton the done) this summer maybe they move the one they don’t plan to sign?
  • I wonder if Hartikainen and Paajarvi have a chance to push Eager and Hordichuk down the depth chart and (eventually) off the roster. The Oilers have three F UFA’s this summer (Ryan Jones, Lennart Petrell and Hordichuk) and after this year they won’t be able to send either Harski or Paajarvi to the minors without clearing waivers. Honest question: where do you rank the kids (out of 5) when compared to the UFA’s?
  • Khabibulin is healthy, but I wonder for how long? I’m not sure what the Oilers expect to get out of him this year they couldn’t get out of Danis. I guess the only real answer is “some of their money’s worth.”
  • I find this Oilers team a lot of fun to watch, but the media stories surrounding them are as dull as dish water. “They can’t score 5×5″ and “Yakupov is wildly inconsistent” are banal to the extreme. Why not talk about the way Ralph Krueger is using his lineup? Its really interesting and different than Tom Renney or Pat Quinn, plus it doesn’t take a lot of work to see the differences. I’d like them to look into the Gagner line, see if RK can keep it together long enough for chem to develop. Right now they are drowning at evens despite playing softer opponents (according to behind the net. WARNING: its early and these numbers will go up and down wildy for a few weeks).
  • OR they could speculate about where Ryan Jones fits when he returns. Here’s my suggestion:
  • Line 1: Gagner-Hall-Hemsky
  • Line 2: Nuge-Yakupov-Eberle
  • Line 3: Horcoff-Hartikainen-Paajarvi
  • Line 4: Belanger-Jones-Smyth
  • Extras: Petrell, Eager

mantha

Anthony Mantha, Val -d’Or

Bob McKenzie’s Top 30 Prospects Show goes tonight and I’ll be interested to see where Anthony Mantha ends up on the list. Mantha is 6.03, 200 and has scored 38 goals in 47 QMJHL games. He also has 55 pims in those games and a couple of majors, so there’s some PF skills on the resume.

• Corey Pronman: “Mantha is an intriguing package of tools as he is 6’4” with good speed, a heavy shot, and offensive instincts. I wasn’t all that sold on him last season, but he has developed well over the last six months or so”

Just gathering up info for the entry draft, Oilers should have three picks in the top 50 (their 1 & 2 and ANA’s 2) and dealt their 3rd rd pick for Mark Fistric. In reading about this draft, looks like it could be 2003. Which brings us to the obvious question: CAN they find Pouliot again?

I bet the Oilers grab a goalie in the draft this season, and Eric Comrie and Tristan Jarry are two possibles. Would love to know how much input the goalie coach has on things.

Jonathan Willis has a draft article up, check it out.

I think this road trip will be a large test for this team, and I am uncertain that Ralph Krueger has the answers he needs. They play in Phoenix tonight, in San Jose tomorrow night and at Colorado on Saturday. I think it is reasonable to expect a 1-2 road trip.

368 Responses to "OILERS AT COYOTES G6 (12-13) 30.1.13"

Newer Comments »

I have Smyth 4line but do think we’ll see Smyth HS’s this season though, unless his foot speed improves.

2. Maggie the Monkey says:

It’s hard to believe that he couldn’t cut it as a fourth liner, especially as he’s still looked good on the PK. Pace is less of an issue there, too.

3. DBO says:

No way Smyth gets healthy scratched. Him and horc will play every game regardless of level of play. They are the vets (along with Belanger) that Ralph trusts. Who would go in for Ryan? Petrell (no way). Jones will replace Petrell or one of MPS or Harti. The top 2 lines will stay together until at least game 10 (Ralph has said that he wants to give Yak time to adjust to his linemates, and moving him would be like starting from ground zero). And Jones for some reason made Smyth and Horc raise their level. I look forward to Jones instead of Petrell and the 4th line rolling along.

Any word on Jones timeline?

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“With Theo Peckham back and close to ready, will the Oilers trade one of their defensemen? The club has Smid-Petry, Schultz-Schultz, Whitney-Potter and Fistric-Peckham currently. That’s eight, one too many and the only one who can be sent down without waiver worry is Schultz the younger.”

Well they could have sent Peckham down for a conditioning stint at no extra charge… and why they didn’t is completely beyond me.

“Honest question: where do you rank the kids (out of 5) when compared to the UFA’s?”

Current: Jones; Magnus; Harti; Petrell; HOrdy
    Projected: Magnus; Harti; Jones; Petrell; Hordy

also, I’d be tempted to go

89-4-83
    93-64-14
    20-56-91
    10-28-94

I know it’s only one game, but I liked the “4th” line the other night and I’d be interested in seeing it kept together and basically splitting time with the “3rd” (I’ve bumped the 4th to the 3rd, but see them as somewhat interchangeable).

This keeps the specialty team lines somewhat intact: 1st PK: 10-94; 2nd PK 20-28/91, whereas I’d see the 20 line as 3rd at evens.

…. In reading about this draft, looks like it could be 2003. Which brings us to the obvious question: CAN they find Pouliot again?

I love you.

Comrie might go first round, Zach Fucale probably will.

Would you spend a 2nd on Jarry?

Also,

Won’t be able to watch the game, can someone let me know which Dpair is playing most with 64-89-83?

Thanks.

Go Oilers!

*clap,clap*

6. spoiler says:

LT said:

Line 2: Nuge-Yakupov-Eberle

Joe Thornton, the Sedins, every #1 line in the West said:

Thank you very much. We don’t get to eat lamb that often.

7. Jonathan Willis says:

By the end of the season:

1. Paajarvi
    2. Hartikainen
    3. Jones
    4. Petrell
    5. Hordichuk

Right now, you can make a case for Jones above the kids, but I don’t think that case can be made about the other two.

8. sliderule says:

If they do grab a goalie I hope it’s third round.Oops we don’t have one.

In the draft you have to go all the way back to 2006 before you find goalies selected in first two rounds who have done anything .

Bernier is a a backup and Varlamov is starting for Colorado.Enroth has played a few but other than that nothing.Our core will be mostly gone before a goalie develops.Trade magic beans for a goalie.

9. OilClog says:

MPS, Jones, Harti, Petrell, Hordichuk

Id go

89-83-4 Tough line eater

93-14-94 Smyth always seems to be in the right spot when he plays with Eb’s

20-64-91MPS speed might open alil space for the Yak

10-56-28.. wait petrell.. why is he on the team?

We really need a masher in the forward ranks.

Unless he’s hurt, no scratching Smyth. He comes to play, he may be a half step behind, but his grizzled veteranship can’t be replaced by anything the Oilers can replace him with. He’s playing well on the PK, sticking up for teammates, and just being plain old Ryan Smyth.

I’d take Whitney out and play Potter and Fristic together. Watching Whitney continuously get skated around is frustrating, it’s sad what happened to him, but that’s life time to move on. I’d find another
    Fristic type meat grinder, and put Petry in Whitney’s place on the PP.

10. Bruce McCurdy says:

Tha BtN link up top reveals among other things that 4-93-14 all have Corsi REL above +40 at the moment. PLUS FORTY+ for each one.

Yet every suggested line combo I’ve seen so far demotes two of these three to the second line. Say what?!

I say let’s stick with 4-93-14 for awhile and let other teams try and stop them. So far the shooting percentages haven’t particularly been their friends at evens, but they are dominating play.

Why the hell mess with that? For some mythical “tough minutes” trio? It’s not like the other coach is running out the softs against those guys in the current senario.

11. regwald says:

So, how much of the slowness we are seeing with Horcoff and Smyth are related to their activities during the lockout ? Horc was part of the bargaining committee and he spent a lot of time in NYC. Hard to keep up with workouts while stuck on a plane or in long meetings. Smyth was practicing with the Oil Kings, but how close to game shape is he as a result ?

I am hoping that we will see these two players pick up their game in the coming weeks as their fitness levels increase.

On the flip side of that Smyth has a lot of hard miles on that body and he may have just lost that step.

12. justDOit says:

spoiler:
    LT said:

Line 2: Nuge-Yakupov-Eberle

Joe Thornton, the Sedins, every #1 line in the West said:

Thank you very much. We don’t get to eat lamb that often.

13. bookjLe says:

LT – Khabi is likely to do equally as we’ll as Danis would given their history. With only 10-12 games Khabi might do fairly well. Danis is likely to be a mediocre back up at best. This is why they are not worried about sending him down – it’s unlikely that any team will claim him on waivers. It also avoids the messy situation of telling Khabibulin to go sit at home and wait for retirement. That would send a bad signal to Free agents and others tpregarding the team. They simply have to give him the oppertunity – not doing so would be costly. If he comes in and cannot play, then it’s easier to send him home. He also is a good mentor for Dubnyk (this was mentioned when they signed him and many times since). Lastly, he can help Yakupov transition.

Perhaps a better question is what can Danis do that would push the Oilers to send a veteran goalie home to ritirement? Given that he is not that good at keeping the puck from going into the net (sp of 0.905 in the AHL this year – good for 38th spot in that league) what intangibles does he bring?

Also, if Khabi proves to be a bad option or if his back falls apart, you just bring Danis up again.

14. Dipstick says:

Anyone else having trouble finding the game on their Shaw TV guide?

15. hunter1909 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I couldn’t agree more. I want to see the top line thrown to the wolves, because unlike anything else in the NHL this is an all 1st overall pick line of wolf(cubs) themselves.

Young wolf meets old wolf. Old wolf battle scarred and with half an ear missing scares the hell out of young wolf; but then loses in the following fight to the speed and sinew of the younger wolf. In other words they’re going to get slapped around a few times, but it will serve to develop them a New England Whaler faster than sheltering them like a bunch of nervous 17th overall picks with issues.

16. Bar_Qu says:

Harski
    Jones
    PRV
    Petrell
    Hordichuk

Bruce McCurdy,

What you said.

I think you also don’t mess with a good thing on the bottom lines:
    Horcoff-Jones-Smyth
    Belanger-PRV-Harski
    (I don’t know who plays right or left, don’t care to sort it out either)

I really believe PRV and Harski need this season to play regularly with Belanger to learn the trade and work their way up the roster. Have them play the way they did against Col regularly and eventually when the injuries occur, they will have formed the habits which can make them effective on the top lines.

17. hockeyguy10 says:

Woodguy,

Comrie had hip surgery and is done for the year. I would imagine that will hurt his draft ranking.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

hockeyguy10:
    Woodguy,

Do you think his imaginary girlfriend will hurt him too?

Bar_Qu: Hordichuk may not actually see the ice again if there aren’t some significant injuries.

I hope that even if we suffer significant injuries, hordi doesn’t suddenly get elevated to an option… someone from OKC, a trade, a free agent from Spain… anything.

19. wordbird says:

coach Ralph has talked a lot about forward “pairs”. i was thinking about Nuge and Gagner switching lines as well. Not sure about splitting Ebs and Hall though, they seem like the best forward pair we have. so that could mean

Line 1: Gagner-Hall-Eberle
    Line 2: Nuge-Yakupov-Hemsky

Would be interesting to see how Nuge would use those two wingers.

20. blackdog says:

Hilarious. So what is the point of them again>

I know I know I never played the game.

21. Captain Obvious says:

Dipstick:
    Anyone else having trouble finding the game on their Shaw TV guide?

It’s supposed to be on sportsnet west but it isn’t showing up for me either. The online listing says “local blackout in effect,” so who knows?

22. dessert1111 says:

Right now, Jones – Harty – PRV – Petrell – Hordichuk

Future, if it pans out: PRV – Harty – Jones – Petrell Hordichuk

I hope they resign Smid soon and Jones before the deadline, unless he is playing like crap coming off the injury.

Fistic has looked good so far, but will reserve judgment on another contract for now.

I’m hoping they will trade Whitney soon since he has value still. It’s a deep draft and another 2nd would go a long way. They’ll still have 7 D on the roster and I would rather Potter as the bottom-pairing puck mover with 2nd unit PP time as it stands right now anyway.

I like your lines LT, though like Romulus I would at least consider keeping PRV and Hartikainen with Belanger. Either way, you could have 2 hyper-skill lines and 2 hard forechecking lines, and in theory, 4 lines that can score. Regardless of where Horcoff and Belanger are slotted in those lines though it probably amounts to the same thing.

Will be interested in what happens to Peckham.

23. Ryan says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Good points… Gagner and Hemsky are getting eaten alive at EVs this year. Adding Hall to that line would obviously improve that line tremendously, but hard to suggest Hall alone turns that line into a tough minutes trio.

We all think of Hemsky as the mythical 5v5 outscorer, but so far hasn’t played out that way.

Is Gagner-Hemsky an upgrade to Nuge-Eberle at EVs (this year not historically)? I’m not so sure.

24. hunter1909 says:

Last year the all veteran Yotes bitch slapped the kiddies around pretty good, and as well as anyone else in the NHL the brain cells insist on telling me. Therefore, will the same thing be likely to happen tonight? Assuming everything in the Yotes has remained the same(I haven’t a fucking clue about them to be honest) tonight’s game looks to be a great early season indicator whether these guys really have what it takes, already.

Unless tonight’s the night Yaks finally breaks out. But the head says tonight’s going down as an L.

25. RMGS says:

26. Ryan says:

blackdog:

Hilarious. So what is the point of them again>

I know I know I never played the game.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that pretty quickly.

With the short season, there’s also the need to have a 4rth line that can eat some minutes while actually playing hockey.

C’mon Pat, we all know they’re the “energy line.” Their purpose is to create energy for their teammates, right? ;P (sarcasm)

Other than that, in the past, they apparently “provided” entertainment to fans with staged fights and gave teams a few extra low cap hit players to ride the bench in the event of in-game injuries or game misconducts.

In fairness to Hordi, he did win one game for us last season by drawing a bunch of penalties or something didn’t he?

As for myself, I could do without the traditional 4rth line of goons causing brain damage to each other. After the MacIntyre / Ivanans fight, I’ve long since lost my appetite for this type of “entertainment.”

We all know the Oilers have tried to use deterrents that haven’t deterred anything other than winning hockey games over the past few seasons.

27. Clay says:

Captain Obvious: It’s supposed to be on sportsnet west but it isn’t showing up for me either.The online listing says “local blackout in effect,” so who knows?

I went to set the PVR yesterday, and found it wasn’t on the guide listing as well (Shaw cable in cgy). Checked SN-W, SN-1, and the other SN Oilers channel. I’ll be some pissed if it isn’t aired.

“Local Blackout” should apply to the Phoenix area, no? They blackout the game locally in an effort to get more fans out to the game. Wouldn’t have that problem in Edmonton…

28. Ryan says:

RMGS: Well, he is carrying a 19 year old rookie RW learning to play LW and has a centre whose two-way game is a work in progress.

Yakupov’s still a raw rookie, but he is Nail Yakupov–not exactly a boat anchor for Hemsky to carry. In Hall’s debut year, the tripple H line did some good things against top competition pretty early in the season IIRC.

29. knighttown says:

LT, you know I’m going to call you out on this. Eight serviceable defensemen is NOT too many in fact it may not be enough. We will lose a few of these guys sometime soon as history has shown. I never kept the data from my original posting a few years back but IIRC, based on minutes played, there were a few seasons Jason Strudwick played more minutes than Hemsky and Penner. Based on minutes played per season your top 4 defensemen are the most important players on the team. Numbers 5, 6 and 7 are more important than all but a few of your forwards and historically even your 8, 9 and 10 guys get more minutes than a 12th or 13th forward and when they DO play they play a tonne.

We worry about 4th liners like getting an upgrade for Lennert Petrell but if you move Peckham and get a few injuries you’ve got Taylor Fedun playing 19 minutes and the losses begin to pile up.

And this is just end-of-the-roster defensemen we’re talking about. Who in God’s name slides into the Top 4 if Ladi Smid gets hurt? Preseason that was Whitney and I liked that plan but now? Fistric I guess, and I feel better about that then I have in the past but it is a concern.

I love this team’s defensive depth and I would NOT move any of them unless I thought everyone from 6-10 were interchangeable. Next year maybe, if Klefbom joins, as you’ll have Ghost of Whitney, Potter, Fistric, Klefbom, Fedun and Teubert.

I’d also never keep more than 12 forwards on my active roster. If one gets hurt, eh, that’s a shift or two extra for 83, 14 and 94. Kind of like playing an enforcer really. As for waivers, neither Peckham or Potter are worth worrying about because they are replacement level. If we lose them however, I would replace the body with another guy of that caliber.

30. Radman says:

My two pesos:

Medium-longer range…….1) Hartsi 2) MPS 3) Jones 4) Petrell 50 Hordi. Might guess that Jones or Petrell gets moved at the deadline

Oil likely hoping they can duct tape Khabby and he gets them thru this season spelling of Dubnyk for 10 or so starts. They likely feel he has more to offer than Danis given his experience. Seems like he is a good team mate. A bit of face saving perhaps. If he breaks down again, I suspect they LTIR him and make other plan be it calling Danis up or a trade.

My hunch is they use the higher of the two second rounders this year on either Comrie ( potential stock drop with injury) or Jarry.

Too funny on Pouliot. After the draft that year, one of the guys that drafted him told me the thought was he might turn out to be a “modern day Jean Beliveau”. Jeepers. Drafting not perfect science as they say. Let’s see what Bobby Mac has to say tonight.

31. spoiler says:

justDOit: Well, there was that line of Kurri, Lamb and Tikk back in the day. One of my fav Indian recipes is Lamb tikka (yes, there is curry in there).

Love it!

Damn. Now I’m hungry.

I will probably have to go for some Lamb Madras this weekend. Place here in Cochrane is quite good–Jaipur–except that even their medium heat is self-immolating.

32. Bos8 says:

With all the hoo haw out there, people tend to forget that Gagner is still the same as last year. He is not a dominant center, he’s an add on. This starts at the face off circle and continues from there. He’s improved in some facets in the O-zone but it’s still, the same dog. You want a horror show? Take Hemsky off that line. Who carries the puck up ice?

33. RMGS says:

Ryan: I haven’t tracked the match ups, but I don’t think the line has been doing the heavy lifting except when other teams are able to get that match up like on the road.

Yakupov’s still a raw rookie, but he is Nail Yakupov–not exactly a boat anchor for Hemsky to carry.In Hall’s debut year, the tripple H line did some good things against top competition pretty early in the season IIRC.

There’s no doubt that the Yak is far, far from a boat anchor… medium to long-term. But five games in, he’s looked like one. I recall Hall in his rookie year saying that playing with Hemsky is great but challenging because of his improvisation. It’ll take Yak a few more games to figure him out (and vice versa), then I expect the toughs-killer that is Hemsky to emerge.

34. delooper says:

blackdog: Kreuger made that point implicitly. In a full season there’s plenty of “lull” time with games where teams are tweaking their systems and thinking more long-term. It’s those times when you “send messages” and teach lessons in the sense of violence. I’m not endorsing those opinions, just trying to make literal the orthodoxy.

35. justDOit says:

hockeyguy10:
    Woodguy,

36. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Clay,

Captain Obvious,

PVR listing services are never 100% accurate and ALL Oil games this year are scheduled to be on either CBC, TSN, SNW, or SN1. (The Oilers site only lists April 3rd as untelevised but that’s a game in Calgary listed on the Flames site as SNW).

37. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

delooper,

I like K’s long term thinking. He stated the other day that he will adjust lines as needed but prefers not to mess up what the young guys are learning with linemates. Benching Yak but letting him out for the empty netter tells you that he knows how to balance short and long view.

38. hockeyguy10 says:

justDOit,

I beleive they are 1/2 brothers

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The nhl website lists snet-w… if that helps.

and… I can’t believe we’re having a “is Hemsky any good?” conversation again.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wordbird:

Line 1: Gagner-Hall-Eberle
    Line 2: Nuge-Yakupov-Hemsky

Would be interesting to see how Nuge would use those two wingers.

IIRC his pairings were 93-14 and 89-83 with 4 basically being a wildcard.

41. Nostradumbass says:

I thought Tencer’s statement on Khabibulin Sunday was a little worrisome.

Basically he said Khabby hasn’t missed a single practice since the start of camp and was essentially dealing with “rust” issues.

Sounds to my ears like Khabby didn’t stay in shape over the lockout

42. justDOit says:

hockeyguy10:
    justDOit,

I beleive they are 1/2 brothers

by the wrong half, it would seem.

43. regwald says:

justDOit: Mike Comrie’s downfall was hip problems as well, and I believe they are related, no?

That would be Mike’s half-brother.

Not sure it is anything genetic. A goalie puts a large amount of pressure on his hips. Could be wear and tear or an old injury. Either way, at that age, definitely warning signals for sure.

How good is Jarry ? Is he that good or is it the sound defensive team he plays for is driving up his stats. Both Brossoit are in the top 3 goalies for GAA. Jarry first and Brossoit, 3rd.

44. regwald says:

Nostradumbass:
    I thought Tencer’s statement on Khabibulin Sunday was a little worrisome.

Sounds to my ears like Khabby didn’t stay in shape over the lockout

He was off with hip surgery, so in theory, re-hab limits the ability to work out. Khabi claims it was rust and a need to improve his sharpness. He was over the injury as per an interview I saw.

45. khildahl says:

For those having trouble finding the game, it’s at 7:30 on Sportsnet West, according to Telus.

46. Captain Obvious says:

It’s supposed to be on sportsnet but neither the shaw listing nor sportsnet’s online listing is acknowledging that the game is in fact on sportsnet.

47. denny33 says:

dessert1111,

I am really hoping they trade Whitney as well. However, I am really starting to question what value can be gleaned from Ryan Whitney.

Hoping someone will dramatically over pay for someone that can quarterback a 2nd unit PP.

Love your idea about collecting more picks in what is shaping up to be a very, very deep draft.

48. jonrmcleod says:

Anyone notice that Fistric is leading the NHL in penalties drawn/60? (Yes, I know he only played 1 game.) If the PP continues to produce at a high level, the ability to draw penalties becomes an even more valuable talent. I wonder how closely the Oilers will consider this with free agents and trades.

49. denny33 says:

Ryan,

I am going to grant you that 4th line players role has been diminished quite a bit in the last few years…however, I took careful note of Patrick Bordeleau from Colorado taking a very healthy run at Justin Schultz the other night.

I wonder if a game ever gets out of hand or when we return to playing some teams in the east next year, if there might be some teams eager to take runs at our young, small players.

We might revisit this issue of having no answers for some ( very small number ) players in the NHL taking liberties with our star players.

The West has been very tamed recently..but I am thinking of a Kevin Bieksa – whose reputation for hand selecting opponents who do night fight – is legendary. Or Zack Kassian.

If Vancouver or Edmonton ever get into a lop sided score – not sure how comfortable I feel with having to fall back on sound reffing to make sure our best players are not taken advantage of.

50. BlacqueJacque says:

Sooo… Has anybody called Shaw/sportsnet and figured out if they’re smart and get their eyeballs and advertising money or if atdhenet is going to earn the cashola?

51. 48 percent body fat says:

Love Smyth but he is out of gas.

Yak is the one doing the D damage to the gagner line and Hemsky needs to pick it up even more. He is looking good though.

RNH still looks well behind his linemates on 5 on 5.

Agree with Mantha, looking at him since day one. Dont go to far off the board but wouldnt be bad to draft him maybe 4 spots earlier if we are in the mid to late teens. good thing is there is no rush to bring him in. Three years development going forward unless the pick is top 5.

Every 1.5 years the oilers should draft a goalie in the fourth round or later. Mix it up with NA and Euro goalies so we are not limited to needing them to play in AAA or AA.

Oilers need to draft like this for the next five years. Dont trade away 1sts.

Top five – BPA, no position discrimination
    Top ten – BPA slight position bias
    First Round – BPA position bias within 7 ranking spots
    Second Round- BPA position bias within 10 rankings spots
    Third Round – BPA with focus on Power forward
    Fourth Round – Goalie
    Fifth Round – Highly skilled player, no size or position bias
    Sixth Round – Older player, maybe more NHL ready at a position of need
    Seventh round – A high risk player that has fallen bad in the draft, no real risk possible reward.

52. Bruce McCurdy says:

Yeah, my season ticket buds and I used to joke about Lamb-Kurri-Tikka(nen), as I recall we even had some as a pre-game meal once. Spicy and with just enough meat, the tasty dish went down pretty smoothly, but also demonstrated pushback capacity.

We won a Cup with that line, and Lamb provided some serious meat with an OT winner against the Jets. Of the list of guys that were here for just one Cup, he made as significant a contribution as almost anybody. He was, after all, in Gretzky’s spot. He was no Gretzky, but he fit in well enough between Esa and Jari to make a real positive difference. They were an item throughout those playoffs, and Lamb put up some mighty nice numbers: 22 GP, 6-11-17, +12.

53. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

BlacqueJacque,

Would not bother. Too little confidence in the channel listing data feeds that make it to web sites and PVRs. .

My theory is Sportsnet picked that game.

54. bookjLe says:

My Shaw listing shows the game.

55. bookjLe says:

Yann Danis has cleared waivers and has been reassigned to the minors.

56. JohnnyRocket says:

I’m hoping a stretch of strong games by Hartikainen and Paararvi puts the question to rest. I am hoping that Harti’s perceived “nasty streak” (I don’t see it) will get him in over Eager and Hordichuk. I think a good scrap in the next few games could seal the deal. If I were him I’d wait until one of the kids get nailed and I’d jump the boards and take 100 minutes of penalties. After his suspension he’d be guaranteed a roster spot until for as long as fans retold the tale. And we have looong memories…

57. B S says:

denny33,

I know I already got blasted on a previous thread for proposing that fighting and goonery can have a purpose in hockey, but that’s been my concern too. Having a mean tough guy (it doesn’t have to be Hordichuck, it can be a 7D like Peckham, or a skater like Eager) is most effective when you don’t care about having a 5 min. PK. Someone takes a run at your kids, or hacks at their ankles you need to send Hordichuck out there before someone gets injured, at let him go a little crazy on them scare them straight, and just suck it up for the penalty kill.

I’ve always held the caveat that enforcement and goons wouldn’t be necessary if the refs called the game fair (being consistent and paying attention and calling serious infractions AS serious infractions (checks to the head, two-handed slashes)) instead of this crap about calling handling the puck in the faceoff circle, or penalties for accidentally putting the puck over the glass (doing it on purpose was always covered by “delay of game” just incredibly difficult to determine in some cases). I’m not claiming being a ref is easy, far from it, but there’s missing a call or two, or making a bad call, and then there’s the crap where a tap on the hands is a hook, but a yank on the leg is nothing, that’s just unprofessional and confusing for the players as they no longer know what their boundaries are. Refs need to know that their non-calls are just as important as their calls as it is their job to keep the game fair.

58. stevezie says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I use Lamb to argue that a team can succeed if built around wingers. Lamb was a fine player, but second line centre was probably a bit of a stretch for him, let alone second liner on a cup winning team. Luckily we had Anderson, Kurri, Tik, Simpson, even Klima to carry the mail. Look at the lineup from that year, look at Lamb’s career numbers and then tell me Gagner can’t play on a winning team.

Now, if you want argue that the front six needs some variety and Gagner is the expendable piece, that’s a different story.

59. prairieschooner says:

I like where MPS and Harti are at I really hope they can continue their progress.
    Yakupov is a wonderfully talented kid who is good for the Oilers and hockey in general.
    I seem to recall that the kids last season were posting good numbers but with lop sided +/_ s
    Yak is on a learning curve, it may be steep or it may shallow.Linemates will have an impact but surely we can ease off on the kid in his first year.
    There are lots of up arrows over last year and I for one am enjoying things so far
    Go Oilers

60. 48 percent body fat says:

Sorry to go of topic, but I need some opinions.

This is a question for those scout savvy people. We all know this draft is deep. Especially at the top end. How deep is the mid and final rounds? The reason I am asking is that I am in a sim league. The team I took over sucks. Every Calendar year there are two regular seasons played. Two trade deadlines, two FA days and one entry draft. The maximum a FA can be signed is for 4 season or two calendar years. That means for every draft, players refresh every two years max. Always a lot of free agents. Wont explain the financials but my team made more money than the threshold so to avoid giving it away in revenue sharing I traded it down to the threshold and bought up lots of draft picks.

With one season done and another to go, I have the following picks. Still time to get more. If the second season ended now I would pick 4th. (Best team not in playoffs gets 1st, worst team gets 14th)

1st rounders – 2, 2nd rounders – 2, 3rd rounders – 3, 4th rounders – 4, 5th rounders – 3, 6th rounders -3, 7th rounder – 3.

You are not responsible for the development of prospects so I plan on loading up goalies in the later rounds as they do not require playing time.

Do you think I should trade up at a heavy cost to get more high picks? Second rounders? Stay pat?

Also, I think the oilers are looking for a new GM. Go to EXCHL.com to apply to join if interested. It is league exchl2.

Thanks

61. yawto says:

For the problems with the PVR, TSN has the national blackout for Wednesday exclusive games. I imagine that Sportsnet has to work out a deal to show the game and that will probably be finalized day of the game. Same thing happened on a game last year late in the season. Game wasn’t listed on the PVR and was shown on SNET-W. My guess is it will populate into the PVR some time this afternoon if at all.

62. sliderule says:

I am headed off for the game shortly.

I hope I don’t jinx them because the last two I have gone to have been stinkaroos.

Not enough patience to beat trap.

Maybe they have figured it out

63. Dirk Dangler says:

As a carry over from last thread, I noticed that the Oilers website now has the Oil Change episode from last night up.

64. hags9k says:

I am head over heels for 19. What a treat to watch. My memories of Coffey are foggy from my then 8 year old mind and revolve around the speed and the rush play. My memories of Neidermeyer are fresh and are of brains, position and timing. He does remind me of him. He’s got such a combination of skating, hockey sense, hands/puck skills it almost makes me tear up. What a godsend. We are going to need to coin a term soon for Schultz goals on wristers from the point that get through with eyes…

1st place on the line!!!! GOILERS!!!!

65. spoiler says:

hags9k: I miss Jonesy. Really I can’t wait for him to just muck his way all over the place and score goals he has no business scoring….Also you can call me bat shit crazy but I want to see Nuge and Yak together for a few shifts before too long. A Hall-Gags-Hemsky line can take it hard to the paint against anyone and we are all aware we are not setting the world on fire at EVs.

That’s great, but how do you plan on protecting Nuge, Yak and Ebs from getting brutalized by the top prison guards on the road?

Or are you thinking we should have different lines for home and road games?

Krueger’s no dummy and knows what he has to do. The lines are fine, short of moving Yak down the batting order.

66. spoiler says:

blackdog: This may be old news around here but in Ireland’s article yesterday Kreuger says that teams aren’t playing goons at all because with the short season standings points are at a premium.Hilarious. So what is the point of them again>I know I know I never played the game.With that being said it seems to me that we won’t see Hordichuk too much despite his stellar performance in Calgary.

That’s surprising, since fighting majors are actually up considerably this season.

67. VOR says:

First,

LT, I tried writing to you through the contact box and there is no place for me to attach tables and I can’t paste them in.

Second,

The Whitney is useless stuff is wrong. He is on pace for 6.13 points per 60 on the power play which would have made him top ten in the NHL last year. He is also on pace to be on the ice with the power play for 17 goals for every 60 minutes he is out there which would have been fourth in the NHL last year. He is actually playing nearly four minutes per game on the PP. He has two assists on the powerplay and has been on the ice for 5 PP goals for the Oilers.

Meanwhile his goals against per 60 at even strength is 2.46 (73.16 minutes played at evens and 3 goals given up in that time).

That would have made him 79th in the NHL last year – right there with Kronwall a guy notorious for not being any flipping good on defence.

So to date he has been on the ice for 5 goals the Oilers scored and for 3 that were scored on them.

How many games has Whitney cost the Oilers again?

I want somebody to tell me exactly who it is you all plan to replace him with that can produce a similar value to the team?

If he is so horrible why is he 3rd in time on ice given we apparently have this amazing defence that is completely beyond criticism?

Is it a prospect that you are replacing him with? Are you signing a free agent? Are you trading for a replacement? Who are you giving up if its a trade?

I get it, you all think you’ve seen him bad. I have seen him pretty much like I’ve seen the rest of our d, except for Schultz the younger, erratic as hell. Whitney has looked just fine at times and horrific at others. I also think it is still a very small sample size but one that says he is absolutely killing it on the PP and only modestly giving ground at evens while playing 5th toughs with 5th best – I averaged his +/- team, corsi team, corsi relative team rankings among D and divided by 3 and then did the same for his competition numbers at behind the net. The only problem with Whitney’s game is he isn’t producing points at evens, but I think we can all see the Oilers are struggling to score at EVs.

68. bookjLe says:

VOR,

I think that people have been somewhat overcritical of Whitney as well. He is an interesting player now in that he does some things so well and others quite poorly, the end result might not be as bad as we ‘see him’

69. hags9k says:

spoiler,

Yes, you have to start this experiment at home and likely with the gravy zone starts. (poor Samwise) But at some point you have to see what those two look like together. I know Ralph likes the pairs but maybe you swap the centers for a couple periods. I’m just talking about a little look see here, nothing to get the guards attention for too long, certainly not a full blown mess hall riot.

As for Whitney, that outlet pass is sublime and you know he’s a smart guy so the PP is a perfect fit because he can make all of those quick decisions.

But that’s half the game, and fate has taken away his ability to play it at a high level. I don’t know that anyone can say for certain he’ll be out of the league in three years, but I doubt an NHL team bets on him long term, either.

71. VOR says:

LT,

I will send them to the email you gave.

I agree with you I wouldn’t bet on him long term, I think it would be insane. But paired with a steady stay at home guy and given an easier zone start he could well be a very good asset to some team. On his good nights, and the thing is I think Whitney still has some, he can rotate up the lineup, and when he is clearly struggling you can run him out mostly on the power play and let one of the 3/4 pair (Schultz the elder) play extra minutes. In fact, I think that is pretty much what Ralph is trying to do. I think Whitney has been made to look way worse than he is by starting the season on the ice at evens nearly every minute Hemsky, Gagner, and Yakupov were, and we know they are having some issues when even up.

However, my basic point that he has had + value to the Oilers to date remains true. Moving a player with positive value for a box full of lord knows what is how bad teams stay bad. So tell me who you would replace him with?

72. Bruce McCurdy says:

prairieschooner: I have had more wows, oh wow, and holy shits this season than i have for a few years
    Go Oilers

Here’s a commenter who gets it. Even as this team is bound to frustrate the shit out of us at times, there’ll be other times we’ll be going “oh, wow”. I for one have been, and intend to continue, enjoying those times.

When I think back of the dynasty team, some of my fondest memories were forged in its earliest stages. First year in the NHL the meme was The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight. Mabe so, but even those guys were fun to watch, with lots of “oh, wow” moments in the mix.

Bruce McCurdy: Here’s a commenter who gets it. Even as this team is bound to frustrate the shit out of us at times, there’ll be other times we’ll be going ‘oh, wow’. I for one have been, and intend to continue, enjoying those times.

When I think back of the dynasty team, some of my fondest memories were forged in its earliest stages. First year in the NHL the meme was The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight. Mabe so, but even those guys were fun to watch.

Yes, sir. Dave Hunter always took a dumb penalty at the end of a period or the start of a period, Coffey was confused about his role, Glenn Anderson spoke his mind, Bobby Schmautz didn’t like it here, Ron Chipperfield was traded with his Mom on his deathbed.

And the hockey was fantastic!

74. BlacqueJacque says:

VOR,

That’s what Whitney is – a power play specialist. He’s not capable of even strength time because he’ll have to defend against rushes, and he’s bad on rushes because he’s slow. And I don’t mean he’s “a bit slower than average for his era, like Darian Hatcher, I mean Whitney is SLOW. Like “tweener with amazing hands and good size sets AHL records, but too slow for NHL” slow. It’s worse than watching Alexandre Giroux. And ask any NHL callup – the first thing they say is how much faster the NHL is.

As a power play specialist, his value is about on par with that of Marc-Andre Bergeron. I don’t mean his trade value, just his usefulness to the team.

Sorry. :/

75. BlacqueJacque says:

Ron Chipperfield was traded with his Mom on his deathbed.

Oh my God.

I’d have a lifelong vendetta against the Oilers for that. Squander my fortune in court, trying to bleed them dry kind of vendetta.

76. "Steve Smith" says:

B S:
    denny33, Having a mean tough guy (it doesn’t have to be Hordichuck, it can be a 7D like Peckham, or a skater like Eager) is most effective when you don’t care about having a 5 min. PK.

I’m watching OTT-MON right now and a perfectly good hockey game has become the Neil-Prust show. The hockey is horrible, the pace is horrible, the game is horrible. If you like grown men who display the facial expressions of a 4-year old when sent to the penalty box then its a fun game.

Otherwise, just dumb dumb hockey. We’re all stupid because of this.

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”: Not caring about having a 5 minute penalty kill is inconsistent with caring about winning hockey games.

But it’s not inconsistent with wanting to see “wows!” and “holy shits!”

79. Romulus Apotheosis says:

you award them no points!

On a playoff team in a normal season, 82 games, your #5D, which is what Whitney is, has to be able to play top four D minutes for many games because of inevitable injuries.

Whitney cannot do that, which is why he won’t be back next year if the Oilers can get a #5 who is really a #4.

Petry and Potter can take the power play minutes if the new #4/5 cannot.

Fistric, Potter, Peckham, Teubert, Fedun, Klefbom, Marincin can fill the 6,7, and 8 roles.

Of course, Whitney’s mobility could improve some over the course of this year, but you really can’t bring him back unless he can actually defend.

Godot10: Yes.

82. Bruce McCurdy says:

Daniel Alfredsson, what a player.

83. Bruce McCurdy says:

And now Mika Zibanejad scores on the back half of the same double PP. The New Alfie?

84. BlacqueJacque says:

Well, this has been an entertaining second period.

Quite the meltdown by Montreal. To one of their divisional rivals, at that.

And then Chris Phillips scores! Crazy days. Wonder if Subban plays soon?

86. BlacqueJacque says:

The Subban Curse!

Oh if only I could understand French, I’d be doing some trolling on hfb.

Oh nice, Plekanec threw some choice words at Bourque after that penalty.

87. rickithebear says:

Yes hemsky!
    The ideal hold your position, dump and chase, win puck pocession along the boards, no blue line turnover, Back-check forward.

I really like how he has learned to play both wings freeing up the RW for the new kid.

He provides that positional stability.
    So the young centre can concentrate on his coverage and freelancing of the rookie RW.

88. speeds says:

Normally LT is like clockwork with Zharkov updates – he has a hat trick through 2 periods LT, surprised you haven’t posted it yet!

speeds:

lol. Crap. I’m busy writing a Gernat update, tomorrow’s GDT and a Nation Profile. Delighted, though.

90. James says:

for those still wondering, sportsnet west is definitely showing the game. just ignore the channel guide (still says it’s showing skiing), the awful pre-game show is on right now.

pre-game on now. 223 for Shaw.

92. spoiler says:

Every Wednesday nite I have to give the pub quiz… So does anyone know if I PVR “UFC Countdown” etc., will it really work and will I have an Oilers game to watch when I get home?

93. B S says:

“Steve Smith”,

Losing your best players is inconsistent with winning seasons, see: last 2 Oilers seasons. If losing a few games (where you have 55 other minutes to make up for it no less) tells the other teams to keep their elbows down then it might save you a few injuries to you key players and consequently ensure wins later in the season.

94. spoiler says:

I have to agree with the dumbass sitting next to Kypreos… RNH will be the highest point-getter out of all these picks.

95. "Steve Smith" says:

B S,

The link between hired knuckles and not losing players due to injury is imaginary. Have a nice day.

96. maudite says:

With regards to the brute and bottom of the order defense discussion:

I have never really understood why you wouldn’t carry the extra defenseman on the roster. Surely there are talented enough bottom pairing d guys that could play on the 4th line as a winger? Keeps them in the game, if injuries come on defense, fine you swing him back to d…Cycle the puck, get it deep, bang some bodies and don’t give up too much…seems like it wouldn’t be too hard of a stretch.

97. Gret99zky says:

Those white road Uni’s are very nice.

98. bookjLe says:

“Steve Smith”:
    B S,

The link between hired knuckles and not losing players due to injury is imaginary.Have a nice day.

You make so angry with your comments! I would totally punch you in the face, but I am incentivized not to because I fear BDHS would hit me the next time he is on the blog the same time I am.

99. BlacqueJacque says:

There is one thing about the Sportsnet pregame show I enjoy:

As incredibly dumb as he is, and no matter how many “you’re too stupid to breathe” looks Kypreos gives me, MacLean is the one who’s getting the better of Kypreos. He’s just a happy village idiot and couldn’t care less what anyone thinks of him. Meanwhile, his buffoonery clearly gets under Kypreos’ skin sometimes.

I don’t understand how these two still have their jobs, though.

100. spoiler says:

hags9k:
    spoiler,

Yes, you have to start this experiment at home and likely with the gravy zone starts.(poor Samwise) But at some point you have to see what those two look like together.I know Ralph likes the pairs but maybe you swap the centers for a couple periods.I’m just talking about a little look see here, nothing to get the guards attention for too long, certainly not a full blown mess hall riot.

No way in this short season and with these young, learning kids and no chance to win the Cup is Krueger gonna run different lines on the road from home.

This is not “an experiment that has to start.” Having first year Yak face Marleau? No.

101. spoiler says:

You can’t cut Gino’s intro monologue off! He was about to pun!

102. khildahl says:

Oh, Gino… You can do better than that.

103. icecastles says:

People can rip on Phoenix all they want, but having seen a great many games in that rink, it’s one of my favourite places to watch hockey. Sure the crowd isn’t huge, but they’re loud, engaged, knowledgable, and the organization works harder than any I’ve seen to gain fan support.

Canadian clubs (Edmonton included) could learn a lot from looking at organizations that don’t have the luxury of taking their fans for granted.

104. spoiler says:

Of course, I will be wearing a road jersey while I give the quiz. Suck it, Southern Alberta!

Gotta head out, so… Goilers! And have fun, all!

I’m liking the forecheck so far.

106. khildahl says:

What a pass from Hall to Nuge.

PETRELL!

108. khildahl says:

Petrell!

109. Bar_Qu says:

The world is coming to an end! Petrell! At even strength!

110. icecastles says:

5 on 5 goal and I beleive a first point for 94!

111. BlacqueJacque says:

WOW. Lennart Petrell. On a weird hybrid line – Smyth-Gagner-Petrell.

112. Lucinius says:

Petrell with the elusive 5v5 goal!

Nice work from Smyth; he’s looked faster tonight.

Petrell (Smyth)

I don’t know why Gagner didn’t get an assist on that one.

114. icecastles says:

Gagner. What a fucking goon.

115. khildahl says:

I don’t know if that was an intentional line or if Petrell just didn’t change with the rest of his line.

116. striatic says:

ahhh . a refreshingly boring goal.

finally.

117. B S says:

“Steve Smith”:
    B S,

no more so than your suggestion that players will cheapshot if they know that a guy from the other team could end their game and potentially their season. I realize my conjecture is based on simple psychology and anecdotes from former players (some of whom, read Gretzky and Semenko, have been out of the game for a while), but your own arguments are similarly based on the assumptions on players psychology. But thank you for kind words, I hope you have a pleasant day as well.

Also, even strength goal. finally.

Oh, Gagner did get a point there. Nice. Good start for 89 this season.

119. icecastles says:

Did they just say Petrell has a 6-game point streak going? Wow, talk about flying under the radar. I wouldn’t have guessed that.

120. striatic says:

PHX PP did look a little dangerous.

121. striatic says:

icecastles,

Petrell doesn’t, Gagner does.

122. BlacqueJacque says:

Sam Gagner tied with Taylor Hall for point lead on the team.

*cough*weneedarealsecondlinecentre*cough*

123. Lucinius says:

The only real deterrent to goons is the Messier style; “you can run me all you want, but I’ll be impaling you with my stick or shoving my elbow down your throat if you do”. Anything else just won’t work. Nuclear deterrents only work if they’re in the line up and not press-boxed or suspended. Big, tough players who can play are fairly rare and then you have someone with skill risking their hands or penalties/suspension to do the deed.

The advantage of the Messier system is anyone can do it; regardless of size or skill. Sure, you’ll take penalties, but if everyone is willing to do it players would shy away after awhile because of survival instincts; powerplays aren’t worth it if it means time on the injured reserve. Just got to hope you have a good powerplay until people learn everyone is willing to do it.

I know that the Oilers are coming up against teams with lots of bumps and bruises but there seems to be action at the opposition end more often this season. Even against good teams.

125. khildahl says:

I kind of like Petrell and Smyth together.

126. Lucinius says:

Not the two Oilers you want on a two on one.. but hey, its something!

127. khildahl says:

Those kids are goddamned warlocks.

128. BlacqueJacque says:

khildahl:
    Those kids are goddamned warlocks.

Chaos warlocks.

Mostly the magic works for them, but sometimes it goes kaboom in their faces.

129. striatic says:

so weird to see a defensively weak, offensively strong Phoenix team.

130. icecastles says:

striatic: Petrell doesn’t, Gagner does.

Okay that makes WAY more sense. I was already pulling up the official stats to confirm the ultimate under the radar player. Thanks.

131. Ice Sage says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Sam Gagner tied with Taylor Hall for point lead on the team.

*cough*weneedarealsecondlinecentre*cough*

That phlegm spells ‘Wellwood’

132. BlacqueJacque says:

That was a stupid lazy pass on the right wing there…

133. Rebilled says:

This is good.

134. icecastles says:

Never trade for a Phoenix goalie. The way they play, their stats as a Coyote will never match their stats anywhere else.

135. khildahl says:

Nice block for Yak.

136. striatic says:

icecastles,

Gagner has gone under the radar too, relatively speaking.

137. BlacqueJacque says:

Two bad passes by Eberle.

138. khildahl says:

I hate to use the P-word, but the kids are really showing it this year when they make a mistake. They recover from their errors really well.

139. BlacqueJacque says:

For the 6th game in a row, Yak drifts from left, to centre, to right, and crowds Hemmer.

140. icecastles says:

Noticed Nuge has a weird delay on a lot of his releases lately. takes the pass, gathers it up, then fires. Bad habit picked up in AHL where goalies were more easily beat perhaps, but it’s leading to some VERY stoppable shots and killing some good scoring plays 5 on 5.

141. khildahl says:

icecastles,

They all seem to have that issue so far.

142. icecastles says:

striatic: Gagner has gone under the radar too, relatively speaking.

True. Though I’ve been a fan of him ever since I saw him in Lord of the Rings.

143. Lois Lowe says:

icecastles:

Maybe he’s trying to time them a little more like Eberle.

144. Lucinius says:

OIlers getting into trouble with passes. Might need some of Slats’ practices from the good old days.

“This is a puck. This is a stick. This goes here and…”

145. khildahl says:

Wow. Where did 19 materialize from there?

146. Lucinius says:

Wow, that first powerplay unit is bad tonight. Weird.

147. khildahl says:

Coyotes have good sticks on their PK tonight.

148. BlacqueJacque says:

What the hell was Magnus doing diving into Dubey?

149. Rebilled says:

91 and 94 should stay on the same line.

150. khildahl says:

Does this look like an afternoon game to anyone else?

Wow. Petrell is flying.

151. icecastles says:

Lucinius,

Phoenix knows how to stifle like few other teams. I know virtually every one of the first 20 games is going to be a “big test” for one reason or another (already somewhat tired of hearing it), but how they play against Phoenix will be a good test of how they can respond to an extremely tight, defensive, and disciplined style. Lessons they will (hopefully) be able to carry forward into their Minnesota games.

152. wordbird says:

FINLAND!!

153. BlacqueJacque says:

Pretty high up on the list of things I thought I’d never write: Petrell is our best forward in the first period.

154. Rebilled says:

BlacqueJacque,

That was weird but he was trying and luckily did tie someone up there, somehow..

155. striatic says:

wordbird: FINLAND!!

more like WIN-land!

156. Lois Lowe says:

Second game in a row I am watching the opposing team feed and the announcers, again, are very complimentary about the Oilers skill level and style of play.

157. khildahl says:

This panel gets worse every time I see them.

158. icecastles says:

Sportsnet is just plain embarrassing this year. From playing their own theme music over the national anthems to their intermission panel routinely giggling their way through their 10 minutes while offering almost nothing new or insightful…

EDIT: Beat me to it, KHILDAHL. Glad I’m not the only one who thinks it though.

Overall kind of a blah period, didn’t really feel the Oilers were in danger of losing the pace or running PHX out of the building. PP was poor, which is crazy considering how well it has been going. Coyotes deserve credit, good and well coached club.

160. khildahl says:

Sportsnet has become the ECHL of broadcasting.

161. icecastles says:

I can see this evolving into one of those bizarre stat line seasons where the Oilers are the only team in the league with three or even four players at or near a point per game, yet still concludes the season middle of the pack in points and GF.

162. khildahl says:

56 is a beast down low.

163. Ryan says:

I could cry. Gagner covering his man down low. MPS almost hit someone.

164. BlacqueJacque says:

165. icecastles says:

BlacqueJacque: Wow, would be nice for these refs to call one of those three late hits on Schultz.

I was just in the process of typing that I’m getting very confused seeing so much even strength hockey. Surely the zebras are just waiting to REALLY fuck with everyone in the third.

Woodguy: 89-64-83 D pairs

First shift: Whitney-Potter
    Second shift: Smid-Petry (although it was Gagner-Smyth-Petrell
    Third Shift: Whitney-Potter
    Fourth Shift: Smid-Petry
    Fifth Shift: Whitney-J Schultz (don’t know what happened there)
    Sixth Shift: Whitney-Potter
    Seventh Shift: Whitney-Potter
    Eighth shift: Smid-Petry

167. khildahl says:

Bad refs and linesmen tonight. Did they bring their whistles?

168. jp says:

Wow, good thing the goalie didn’t get caught going to the bench there!

Wow what a nice little play by Hall there down low. My goodness. Chaos everywhere, Hall breaks up the play gets a little room and calms things down. Outstanding.

170. BlacqueJacque says:

After the bullshit they called through the first 3-4 games to let one of our young guys and potential NHL stars get run like that with late hits?

Terrible.

171. icecastles says:

How is this shit not getting called?!?!
    On either team.

That’s the problem with NHL referees: it’s not the calling chintzy penalties or putting the whistles away, it’s the complete and utter lack of any consistency whatsoever.

NHL refereeing is like a box of chocolates… you never know what you’re going to get.

172. khildahl says:

We got away with a blatant offside and a few trips, so I’m not going to complain when the make-up call comes.

173. Rebilled says:

That was just the type of play that we never score on and the other outcome…

174. Ryan says:

Absolutely. Am I hallucinating or are 4 and 93 learning how to play solid in their end?

175. icecastles says:

khildahl,

I am. making a bullshit call later in the game does not make up for blowing other calls earlier.

176. Lucinius says:

Puck does not look frozen, really. At least, that’s the impression the play gives.

I’ve given up on refs knowing how to call games.

177. khildahl says:

icecastles,

I’m actually kind of jealous of NHL refs. I wish I could be that bad at my job and continue working.

178. Ice Sage says:

I like the way Freddy’s Oilers play ‘rugby’ by assertively cycling back to the D during transition. Maybe it’s more like Spanish soccer?

179. Lucinius says:

Petrell just swam across ice!

180. khildahl says:

Oh my.

181. icecastles says:

KHILDAHL with the win.

And damn, I figured Gagner was going to have a breakout season but man, has he lept forward. Just a better player this year in every regard.

182. Bar_Qu says:

I sure can’t fault Petrell for his game tonight. Stone hands at times, but he’s been a real positive force in his role.

183. jp says:

Wonderful pass by Hemsky. Gagner finds iron.

Then some massive saves by Dubnyk.

184. Southern Oil says:

Ryan Jones sure picked the wrong time to get injured. Now Petrell is making a run at his job.

185. khildahl says:

Doan does absolutely every little thing right.

186. JohnnyRocket says:

Hartikainen’s play sure falls off in the neutral/defensive zone.

187. regwald says:

McKenzie’s mid-season draft list out. Seth Jones #1, MacKinnon #2, Lazar #25, Jarry Honourable mention 60+ he’s the 4th ranked goalie I think. Comrie is the first ranked goalie at #38.

188. wordbird says:

icecastles:
    KHILDAHL with the win.

189. icecastles says:

Chicago loses in a shootout. Streak ends.

190. SK Oiler Fan says:

Funny game, both teams look to be pacing themselves. Does phx play tomorrow as well?

191. khildahl says:

We got lucky in the schedule with Torres still being out. We may have lost a kid tonight.

192. Lucinius says:

Don’t think Phoenix plays till Saturday, actually.

193. BlacqueJacque says:

khildahl:
    We got lucky in the schedule with Torres still being out.We may have lost a kid tonight.

I think it’s safe to say that if Torres knocked one of the kids out, his career in the NHL would be over,

194. icecastles says:

Lucinius,

Correct. And they didn’t play last night either. Played Monday, then tonight, then not again until Saturday (and again on Sunday).

195. Lucinius says:

Well, not too bad to be going into the third with a 1-0 lead on the road.

196. striatic says:

edmonton is out coyote-ing the coyotes?

Nice second by Edmonton, they’re frustrating the Coyotes breakouts and cleaning things up in their own end. Not exactly the Lemaire Wild, but miles better than the Quinn year.

198. khildahl says:

Shit. Garrison scored. Cue He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

199. Matt.N says:

wordbird: I believe Sam would credit his impressive start to fresh mountain air, strudel, and the vigorous lovemaking of a large-breasted Austrian.

I would so be posting a pic of Arnold right now if this site supported such things.

Newer Comments »