OILERS AT FLAMES, G4 (12-13) 26.1.13

Oilers-Flames games that were Edmonton-Calgary contests began in the fall of 1980, and it was–as it is now–a tepid event. Wayne Gretzky and Blair MacDonald, impact scorers in the revamped NHL, played with various LW’s that fall including Brett Callighen, Don Ashby, Glenn Anderson and Dave Semenko. On the night of October 22, 1980, the Flames caught  a break (or so it seemed) because it was Semenko on the portside. The Edmonton Northlands crowd enjoyed a 5-3 victory, with Semenko scoring 2 goals on the night.

• Semenko: “I knew I’d get a lot of chances playing with him. What we’ve worked on in practice is for me to get into the right position to shoot the puck.”

Semenko would finish the season with 11 goals, Ashby 2, Callighen 25 and Anderson 30. Playing with Gretzky was  a pretty good business.

After the opening game, 99 put things in context for history to see:

• Gretzky on an Oiler-Flames rivalry: “It will develop in the years to come. The players didn’t feel it, but the fans might build it up.”

For many years the Oilers and Flames was THE rivalry in the NHL, certainly through the 80s and I’d say a little into the 1990s. After that, one team or another has been poor and these last many seasons the Oilers have been in full rebuild mode. The Flames are hanging on and in fact ADDing veterans as they go, so a true rivalry is perhaps years away. Having said that, Oiler fans at the very least can look forward to a better showing against our friends to the south. And by friends, I mean Godless pukes.

This PK Subban situation seems to be coming to some kind of a crescendo and honestly it makes so little sense the mind boggles:

I would be unwilling to make a deal using any of the #1 overalls, Jordan Eberle, Justin Schultz; I don’t think the Oilers have enough booty to get off the ground without those items. speeds has mentioned offer sheet but the Oilers dealt their 3rd rd pick for Mark Fistric–which impacts the offer sheet possibilities–so that appears to be a distant bell. Subban would be a ‘perfect fit’ for this Oiler team, giving them a legit top pairing guy who can play huge minutes and run with the horses up front. I don’t believe there’s a deal there for the Oilers.

I’ve been thinking about Ryan Smyth this week, #94 is showing some signs of wear–kinda funny to write that because of course he’s slowing down. Ryan Smyth has been Cool Hand Luke since he was a kid, never giving in and never letting up. Years ago I was at Rexall, sitting down low, in one of the corners. Smyth was battling with an opposition defender, and it was very intense. One minute the defender would get the edge, but Smyth would slam the door and vice versa. Twice during the exchange Smyth had some clearance but the ref was blocking the escape route. Finally, Smyth, still in the life and death struggle, looked at the ref and said “get out of the way!” and we all collapsed in laughter. Ryan Smyth has an idea of how to play the game, and it involves singular dedication to the task and complete abandon.

And now the man who bleeds copper and blue can see his 37th birthday and is slowing. Here’s a sample of some TOI seasons by Smyth (chosen randomly):

• 97-98: 18:03 total, 12:41evens, 0:06sh, 5:15pp
  • 00-01: 19:58 total, 13:30evens, 0:55sh, 5:31pp
  • 05-06: 20:12 total, 12:49evens, 2:03sh, 5:19pp
  • 11-12: 19:04 total, 14:26 evens, 2:09sh, 2:28pp
  • 12-13: 15:53 total, 8:27 evens, 3:33sh, 3:52pp

This season is just starting and the Oilers have played at least one game that skewed TOI but it is interesting to see the progression (and then regression) of playing time. Smyth was not a 5 minute option last year on the PP (Oilers had no one much past 3 minutes btw) and ranks 8th among forwards so far this season on the man advantage. However, in terms of PK, we see our man Smyth increasing his time there, in fact this season he is third in F TOI at the discipline.

Smyth doesn’t have a point yet this season, no big deal at evens (he’s played about 26 minutes). He and Horcoff are going to get a lot of work against the tough western conference forwards and its going to be a long long season no matter the shortened GP.

Here’s how he ranks among LW’s by discipline:

EVENS

1. Hall 15:50
  2. Yakupov 10:50
  3. Smyth 8:27
  4. Hartikainen 7:02
  5. Petrell 5:48

POWERPLAY

1. Hall 4:59
  2. Yakupov 4:22
  3. Smyth 3:52
  4. Hartikainen 0:31

PENALTY-KILL

1. Smyth 3:33
  2. Petrell 3:20

It kind of makes me laugh, hearing commentators and reading online about the Oilers needing a big body for the top 6F. The reality is that the top 6F needs a young Ryan Smyth, a digger, a corner man, a holler guy, a tough as nails 2-way winger with terrific but underrated skills. A complete player, where he be 5.11 or 6.06. Today, Ryan Smyth ranks 2nd in GP by an Oiler (855, he’d have passed Kevin Lowe if he hadn’t traded Smyth) and 5th in goals (284, Oilers are a storied franchise in that category, 5th is tremendous for a player of his era–only HOFers ahead).

Ryan Smyth is a treasure, a real life hockey player who can rattle and cycle and pass the puck and catch it too, but mostly he’s a man with the heart of a lion. The generation of Oiler fan that arrived from 1990 through 2006 may not appreciate how rare and precious a player he has been; in a very cruel twist, the future will point it out time and time again.

It’s a HNIC game, that always adds something to the proceedings. The Flames are well rested, will have put in a lot of work at practice and should be flying. Its early, but they need a W:

I haven’t read anything about lineup changes, will change if anything crops up.

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Gagner-Yakupov-Hemsky
  • Horcoff-Smyth-Paajarvi
  • Belanger-Hordichuk-Petrell
  • Smid-Petry
  • Schultz-Schultz
  • Fistric-Whitney
  • Dubnyk

EDIT TO ADD: Hordichuk draws in over Hartikainen. 11:48am.

513 Responses to "OILERS AT FLAMES, G4 (12-13) 26.1.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. bubbasnickey says:

Can’t wait for this game.

2. spoiler says:

Gonna do my damnedest to be there tonite, but tix have been hard to come by. Even Cowtowners are bullish on the Oiler kids.

3. gameofstyle says:

LT,

Did you happen to notice how everyone was celebrating Yak’s goal the other night except Whitney? From my Gamecenter feed he seemed to be disinterested. Also, to my eye he has looked really bad for the third game in a row. Do you think he is done with the Oilers this year or is it too early to tell?

4. khildahl says:

Those division standings are already showing what I think will be story of the season. A very, very tight race to the playoffs, with loser points being every bit as important as the winning 2.

Of course we put Vancouver in first place already.

5. bookjLe says:

That rivalry was so great because the two teams were near the top of the league for a number of years. I don’t think we will ever see that again. With Jay Feaster seeking to lock Calgary into a 20th place finish for the next decade, it certainly won’t be soon. However, with the Oilers having a cast of young stars, I can see some strong motivation for Calgary to be ‘up’ for the game, so it could be a good one.

On another note, I have an offer for the French and others who employ the use of comma’s vs our use of dots to represent decimals. Give or take about half of the countries use dots and half use comma’s (though we dot people have China and India so…) so lets just flip a coin and do it one way or the other. I admit, if we lose it will take a while to figure it out, but our grandkids will thank us. If flipping a coin doesn’t work, why don’t we trade, we will use the ‘comma’ system for decimals if you start using the short scale for naming large numbers (billion, trillion, etc.). For those of you who don’t know a billion in the short system is 1 000 000 000 (USA, English Canada, etc), but a billion in the long system (France, Quebec, Spain, etc) is 1 000 000 000 000 000 000. Next up, we address the 120V vs 240V system – that one is going to be expensive.

6. bookjLe says:

bookjLe:
    That rivalry was so great because the two teams were near the top of the league for a number of years.I don’t think we will ever see that again.With Jay Feaster seeking to lock Calgary into a 20th place finish for the next decade, it certainly won’t be soon.However, with the Oilers having a cast of young stars, I can see some strong motivation for Calgary to be ‘up’ for the game, so it could be a good one.

On another note, I have an offer for the French and others who employ the use of comma’s vs our use of dots to represent decimals.Give or take about half of the countries use dots and half use comma’s (though we dot people have China and India so…) so lets just flip a coin and do it one way or the other.I admit, if we lose it will take a while to figure it out, but our grandkids will thank us.If flipping a coin doesn’t work, why don’t we trade, we will use the ‘comma’ system for decimals if you start using the short scale for naming large numbers (billion, trillion, etc.).For those of you who don’t know a billion in the short system is 1 000 000 000 (USA, English Canada, etc), but a billion in the long system (France, Quebec, Spain, etc) is 1 000 000 000 000 000 000. Next up, we address the 120V vs 240V system – that one is going to be expensive.

7. khildahl says:

bookjLe,

Those damned Europeans.

gameofstyle:
    LT,

Poetry.

When I’m looking at how the Oilers are going to match up against a team I look at their top 4 D first and foremost.

This is a good match up for the Oilers.

Here’s how the Flames have used their D at EVTOI/gm:

Jay Bouwmeester 18:46
    Mark Giordano 18:35
    Chris Butler 18:28
    Dennis Wideman 18:22
    TJ Brodie 14:43
    Cory Sarich 13:46
    Derek Smith 13:46

Looks like a clear cut top 4, but Butler was a HS last game and they rotated the other top 3 and ran the shit out of them. Not sure if Butler is back in tonight.

Bouwmeester is off to a tough start getting the tough assignments and getting lit up.

The Oilers may outchance them 2-1 at evens tonight.

I hope they beat the godless Flames 12-0 and Yak takes a piss on the flaming C at center for his hat trick “celly”

Go Oilers!!

10. Clay says:

Had tix for tonight, but inlaws are in town and had to give them up. I love my wife, love her family, but GRRRRRRRRR…..

So, it was exactly 10 years ago today that MacT ripped out Harvey the hound’s tongue. Good omen :)

Lowetide: i think Whitney is playing his last season for the Oilers, and in many ways it is a shame. However, that operation (or operations) have made him a different player.

I think Potter-Fistric might be more effective than Whitney-Fistric right now.

Whitney is just giving up too much on every shift.

Potter can’t pas like Whitney, but at least he may be able to turn in tight quarters and keep his check in front of him.

Woodguy,

Go Oilers!!

Debating adding the old *clap, clap*

Thoughts?

Oh yeah, *clap clap* is good AND easy to spell!

14. Mr DeBakey says:

I’m not surprised to see the “clap clap” coming back.
    Once it establishes itself …

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

could he have continued to play without risking the operations? or, perhaps had them done after his hockey career was over?

16. hunter1909 says:

bookjLe: Next up, we address the 120V vs 240V system – that one is going to be expensive.

Artificially made by the market differences…from VHS/Betamax to Walkmans/Ipods.

Unless you envision the time when humanity all looks exactly the same, and lives/works in a factory 24/7 for the Aliens(who first began invading earth in the 1950′s and 1960′s). In that case, you certainly have a strong set of attributes which the Aliens always like to exploit.

Here we go…let’s play “trade away the Oilers for ‘better’ players” wtf re-starts. Like this team isn’t the talk of the NHL, like it just didn’t convincingly beat the Stanley Cup Champions, like they need some bigshot player to step in and same the day.

This all must be a corollary from days gone by, when Oilers were like the 2013 Flames – that is, almost zero scoring talent, rolling three third lines while dreaming that every UFA wants to go to 2013 Calgary, LOL.

Huge game tonight – lose this one and the hapless Flames will be halfway to China. On the “A” Train.

I don’t understand all the ragging on Ryan Smyth. He’s been playing like a grumpy old man, pisses off the opposition always, and as a result makes room for the kids.

17. bookjLe says:

Woodguy:
    Woodguy,

Go Oilers!!

Debating adding the old *clap, clap*

Thoughts?

Clap,Clap is great – or should that be clap.clap? I think I prefer Lt’s Clap Clap .

We need to preserve some of the cultural memes here. Onion toting died with Quinn as did muckymucks. The Oilers should hire that guy to the management team and make him director of obscure quotes – that would be a great way to apologise for the lockout.

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Semenko: “What we’ve worked on in practice is for me to get into the right position to shoot the puck.””

“keep it simple, stupid”?

seriously though… that should be engraved on every player’s locker.

Romulus Apotheosis: what’s the alternative picture look like here… I don’t know if anyone has ever addressed it…

I would give money to find out if the Oilers:

1. knew about the operation and its possible impact
    2. had any input with the player on proceeding

because the operation impacted their asset; on the other hand, the ice at Rexall impacted Whitney’s career.

20. raventalon40 says:

Clay:
    Had tix for tonight, but inlaws are in town and had to give them up.I love my wife, love her family, but GRRRRRRRRR…..

So, it was exactly 10 years ago today that MacT ripped out Harvey the hound’s tongue.Good omen

Hopefully we see the Oilers that played the Kings and not the Oilers that played the Sharks.

21. khildahl says:

There are a couple things about tonight that lead me to believe this game is extremely winnable for the Oilers:

1. Hartley wants the Flames to play a run-and–gun style this year. Against this team? That’s like starting a land war in Asia.

2. Calgary sucks.

3. They’re the smallest team in the league. If Fishstick is playing (and I hope he is), he may check someone right out of the arena.

4. Calgary sucks.

5. Ralph Krueger.

6. Calgary sucks.

7. This Oiler team believes it can beat anyone, and will not quit.

8. Did I mention Calgary sucks?

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookjLe: I think I prefer Lt’s Clap

I don’t prefer the clap.

23. dawgtoy says:

Maybe a visit to the doctor can help you with the *clap clap.

I love reading about the early days of the Oilers prior to the Dynasty years. The GMC line would end that season for a number of reasons. McDonald would be traded to Vancouver (sparking one of the best Sather quote ever) and Calleghen would get a serious eye injury. A young Finn would be placed on that line and the rest was history.
    The Sather quote is a classic, but best explained by LT or Bruce. I likely couldn’t do it justice.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: on the other hand, the ice at Rexall impacted Whitney’s career.

and if so, what is it about the ice in Edm?

also maybe I should clarify my prior question… was the operation a quality of life or a quality of play issue? or, more likely, both?

25. dawgtoy says:

PS Happy Birthday Mr. Gretzky. Wearing my retro 99 as I write this.

26. bubbasnickey says:

raventalon40,

IIRC, he threw it in the crowd. I wish he would have kept it though. He could have worn it as a tie on their next visit.

27. bubbasnickey says:

khildahl:

1. Hartley wants the Flames to play a run-and–gun style this year.Against this team?That’s like starting a land war in Asia.

2. Calgary sucks.

3. They’re the smallest team in the league.If Fishstick is playing (and I hope he is), he may check someone right out of the arena.

4. Calgary sucks.

5. Ralph Krueger.

6. Calgary sucks.

7. This Oiler team believes it can beat anyone, and will not quit.

8. Did I mention Calgary sucks?

Can you expand on points 2,4,6, and 8 please? :)

28. khildahl says:

bubbasnickey: Can you expand on points 2,4,6, and 8 please?

Why, certainly.

You see, there’s a swirling vortex of suckage down highway 2. It’s where all that is good and holy in this world goes to die, and where the world’s second-ugliest hockey jerseys are born.

Also, they have too many one-way streets and their restaurants are far inferior to those in Edmonton. Just sayin’.

29. jfry says:

spoiler:

It’s amazing how many people are talking about the oil down here. It’s kinda nice after recent years where it was just mockery. In a couple weeks, the dome is going to be back to empty and tix will be given away like crazy. Calgary is only a hockey market when their team is winning. Once it’s warm outside, no here cares about an aging loser — which is about right.

30. khildahl says:

Looks like Baertschi is a healthy scratch tonight due to Hudler and Cervenka drawing in. I’m not sure if this is better or worse for us.

31. Clay says:

raventalon40: It was January 20th… but close enough. I think it’s a bad omen because they won that night 4-3!

Balls. You know, I heard them going on about it on the radio here and just assumed that Peter Maher knew what he was talking about. Should know better.

I’m pretty apprehensive about this game. The feeling is that the Flaims are in a pretty sour mood, being winless so far, and they are quite tired about hearing about how the Oilers are on the upswing with their youth and skill. I still think the Oilers should win, but fear that liberties will be taken by Flaims.

Then again, what’s new? At least Regehr *spits* is gone.

Saturday night, HNIC, BOA, what could be finer?

32. jfry says:

Clap. Clap. Celly. Celly.

?

33. Gerta Rauss says:

I think we should give Whitney 20 games to see if he picks up his game, but the early returns are not promising.The problem I see with Whitney is where does he fit in the pay scale moving forward?

Smid,Petry, and J Schultz are your core pieces for the next 5 years.

We’ll have to make a decision on Nick Schultz by this time next year-with the team giving him an A recently, it’s reasonable to assume he will be part of the short term future anyway.If you leave a spot in the 6/7 range for Klefbom/Fistric, and possibly still adding another top 4 option(from the Mark Streit tree) where do you fit Whitney’s salary..? There might be some room next year before we have to pay Petry,after that, I’m not sure. Would Whitney take a haircut on his salary down to the $1.5M range..? Should we move him now while he still might hold some value..?

34. canucknnv says:

LT,

All game during the Kings game I was saying that there were 2 too many Ryan’s on the ice too often. Whitney’s sortie’s on the PP always seemed to end at the King’s blue. It seems to me that he’s still got skill, he’s still calm and can still play but Dubnyk can skate circles around him. Is there any trade possibilities for him? If he was packaged in a deal with a pick or 2 and another piece would that get a Subban? Or would it be better to try and get a Mark Streit for parts and try to move whitney for a grinder that can wheel? None of these options are easy but everyone is looking for a D and some GM’s could still be fooled that #6 is a top 4.

35. gr8one says:

In the “offseason” I often lamented the fact that other than his inflated contract that Bouwmeester would be a “perfect fit” type player to add to our D corps and hated that if it were to happen a deal would be needed to be make with those godless pukes.

The following tweet significantly changed my mind on that:

THE STATS GUY ‏@TH2NSTATSGUY
    Bouwmeester: on ice for both Canuck goals after 2 periods. Has been on the ice for 9 of 11 goals against this season

I know it’s early, but that and coupled with his -29(yes, I hate +/- stats too but sometimes it’s pretty telling) man that’s horrible, the last thing we need is a “top four D” that bleeds goals against.

So to those suggesting a possible acquisition of Jaybo I say no thanks.

Now, to whomever suggested Getzlaf…I love that idea, he’s been one of my favorite players for awhile now and I believe he’s exactly the type of player we need in our top 6 F. I’ve semi-secretly had my eye on his UFA status for a couple of years now wishing that a perfect storm of him being a good ol’ Saskatchewn boy who’s brother plays pro football seven hours down the road, and the OIlers being one of the most promising young teams in the NHL just might be enough to entice him to sign a non-inflated contract with the Oilers in July.

One can dream.

36. PunjabiOil says:

Organized a group of 20 for group sales last year for an Oilers/Flames game. The Flames kept my email on hand, and yesterday offered me 2 complimentary suite tickets for tonight and other ”Group ticket sales leaders”

Suggestive of ticket sales issues in Calgary?

Anyhow, a nice gesture. Will be attending an Oilers/Flames HNIC in Calgary for the 3rd year in a row. 0-2 thus far.

Hopefully this is the year they take it – few things in life are as gratifying as watching a road game in a rival city.

37. oilgreg says:

bubbasnickey: Can’t wait for this game. What do you think of the Oilers pursuing Getzlaf, either at the trade deadline or in the offseason?

Great question. If I am the GM, this guy would be my target. I see Getzlaf as the second-line centre (he would be the 1st on most teams) that the Oilers need to make a drive to the Cup – this year or next. A lot depends on the season that the Ducks have, and of course he could be signed to an eight-year deal next week. But, if the Ducks are out of the running, or if they don’t believe they can sign him, could we get him in a trade & sign deal for Gagner at the deadline? And, he is still young enough to be a core player for a number of years.
    What do you think, LT?

38. cabbiesmacker says:

A couple of things this hockey fan would enjoy immensely tonight.

- A convincing Oiler victory… and the ensuing suicide watch at Calgary Suck

- Kiprusoff pulled mid way through the first period…and the ensuing suicide watch at Calgary Suck

- Yakupov with the hat trick, an even more over the top celebration….and the ensuing suicide watch at Calgary Suck

Time for the BOA temperature to increase by a few degrees.

39. canucknnv says:

oilgreg: Great question. If I am the GM, this guy would be my target. I see Getzlaf as the second-line centre (he would be the 1st on most teams) that the Oilers need to make a drive to the Cup – this year or next.A lot depends on the season that the Ducks have, and of course he could be signed to an eight-year deal next week. But, if the Ducks are out of the running, or if they don’t believe they can sign him, could we get him in a trade & sign deal for Gagner at the deadline? And, he is still young enough to be a core player for a number of years.
    What do you think, LT?

He is a fantastic talent and I would love to have him, my only problem with chasing these UFA’s is that they are going to want max money and unless you can get them for value you risk messing up the salary structure of your team. There are still more core guys to sign in the next 2 years and if there is an $8 million elephant in the room things get pricier for signing others and is he your #2 center or is RNH?

40. Bar_Qu says:

Clay,

I think you are right to have concern. The Oil will be feast or famine all year & i worry tonight is a famine night. The Oil only win in Calgary when they’re not supposed to, and at least among the fans there is too much overconfidence going in.

That said, the F-D match ups do marginally favor Edm & I’m looking forward to a physical match. #gooilers

Romulus Apotheosis: allow me to expose my ignorance here… is that like when people say the turf at the SkyDome (it’s still called that in my world) impacted the career of the players (joint wear and so forth)…

and if so, what is it about the ice in Edm?

oilggreg: I like Getzlaf, always have. I wouldn’t trade for him unless it was clear that the team could get him inside the budget without having to offload one of the feature kids. I mean, eventually the Oilers will have to make a “staal to Carolina” move but lets make sure its down the line.

43. In the Grease says:

Can we give Whitney any slack based on the fact that he hasn’t played a game on 8 months? I know the mechanical issues are there, and are real, but maybe there’s also a good deal of rust to blame for his poor start?

44. bookjLe says:

Bar_Qu:
    Clay,

That was in the b.r.k. era (Before Ralph Krueger). We are now in a.r.k. year 0. The Oilers are going to crush the Flames tonight.

In the Grease:

If you believe this is a ‘getting up to speed’ issue then sure, but this appears to be the a hitch in the giddyup. I have no idea if this is a soreness issue, etc but the player said he was good to go iirc.

46. sliderule says:

Rieder is playing well in Kitchener since the WJC .

Last night he got his 15th goal on a beautiful play and earlier hit a rocket of a slapshot that rang off the post.

He has pts in his last five games and has played some at center.If he can get somewhere near 30 goals he will be delivering on potential

47. dawgtoy says:

@SUN_TYCHKOWSKI: Tom Kowal and Greg Kimmerly are reffing the game again tonight

48. justDOit says:

McKenzie’s advice is both good and bad for us Oiler fans. We get to write off Tuesday’s effort, but what about the LA game? Well, the Kings get to write that one off. Tit for tat, that would be. I predict they will be tougher to play against in the next meeting, goal celebration incentives aside.

I hate predictions at any time of the year, and enjoy them even less when an emotional attachment is involved, as in the Oilers. My usual MO is to expect the worst and then reap whichever rewards come. If I’m right, and the game turns ugly, then I get to congratulate myself for seeing that coming. If I’m wrong, well hey – that’s good.

With a few new faces, and a new coach in Hartley, the Flames should technically be struggling to ice a cohesive lineup. A look at the standing would seem to vindicate this theory, but having also watched parts of a few of their games, they look to be putting forth a pretty decent effort. I know it’s impossible to evaluate teams based on watching them play against different opponents, but the Flames haven’t looked that bad, to my eye. They look much more composed and structured than, say, the Capitals – who look as if they all drive to the rink in one car (I fear for Mr. Oates’ job).

If the Flames do put newcomers Cervenka and Hudler into the lineup tonight, it’s tough to say if this will help or hurt their cause of earning their first win on the season. But they have last change, and we all know that our Cardiac Kids do better when Krueger can manage their opponents. If Whitney and the rest of the blue can keep Stempniak in front of them for the night, and if Krueger has furthered his plan of instilling a Borg-like team defense on the Oilers, we might see them hang around in a 1 – 2 game. It’ll either be an empty-netter for the Flames win, or the Oilers go to overtime (again) with a big goal from one of the kids.

Dawgtoy: lol. If you’d suggested it we would have laughed in your face. And yet it is true.

50. justDOit says:

dawgtoy:
    @SUN_TYCHKOWSKI: Tom Kowal and Greg Kimmerly are reffing the game again tonight

51. Lucinius says:

dawgtoy:
    @SUN_TYCHKOWSKI: Tom Kowal and Greg Kimmerly are reffing the game again tonight

Seriously? League is just retarded with that, then. After a game like the Kings/Edmonton you do not put the same refs back in for one of the teams next game. Sheer stupidity.

I already foresee a loss.

52. jp says:

dawgtoy:
    @SUN_TYCHKOWSKI: Tom Kowal and Greg Kimmerly are reffing the game again tonight

There’s no way they repeat that mess, right? Right?

At least there shouldn’t be too many surprises – calls that we haven’t seen before…. Right?

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: Bob Mac said something earlier this week that was very appropriate for Oiler fans Wednesday morning: Don’t pay any heed to what happens in the first week – maybe even second week, in this rushed NHL season. By the fourth week, fans should finally be starting to see the real teams emerge.

I think he’s just trying to curb enthusiasm/dire moaning in some of the fans…

the old “small sample” warning is fitting coupled with the rust of short camps etc…

that said in the short season you can’t really throw away any games, esp. teams that have a chance to roam around the playoff bubble like Edm. and Minn. or even Cal.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: “It was just a pivot and I just felt something almost pop a little bit. It was an innocent play … I might have caught it in a rut,” Whitney told the Journal. “I actually thought my skate might have broke because it just felt so weird. It was obviously not the skate.

thanks. I remember reading the details (what the press got out anyway) at the time, but my memory is foggy.

seems like he didn’t have much of an option: 1) no surgery and end career; 2) surgery and ruin elite career

I’m curious too… though whether he and the team were fully appraised of the negative possibilities beforehand… certainly don’t feel like the media or the fans were ever given a realistic impression of his status.

55. BlacqueJacque says:

Keeping things on topic for a second, I think we’ve been very lucky that Whitney’s play hasn’t lead to more goals against. His slow skating, acceleration and poor turning ability are going to get victimized especially on away games when a smart coach will line up two speedy wingers.

Speed isn’t like decision-making, shooting, or passing. It’s not something that waxes and wanes inconsistently – better one minute, worse the next. You’ve either got speed or you don’t, and if you don’t, it will be consistently exploited. It’s not like a team taking advantage of Barker’s poor decisions (because you never knew when those would come.)

56. Bruce McCurdy says:

justDOit: Hopefully their arses are still stinging from some sort of ‘talking to’. But with the way the special teams are playing for the Oilers, this might actually be to their advantage. ?

Talking to? Are you kidding?

NHL Apologist of Officials Mike Murphy went on-air yesterday serially defending every call they made. Copious calls of new/old/obscure/obsolete rules that had the fans boo them off the ice at the end of the first, boo them ON the ice to start the second, the same at the second intermission. So many conferences with coaches that even with an extra half-hour my PVR ran out before the game actually ended.

Then of course there was the last major screw job when the quartet all teamed up to disallow a “non (video) reviewable” goal just as the big screen was showing Gagner completely outside the crease, Quick completely out of the play, and RNH tucking it home for a well-earned tying goal. Not so fast, the zebras have a surprise for us. I think the linesman out at the blue made the call on a single viewing, while the video review that the NHL pioneered is for some reason deemed not useful for this purpose.

Of course after all that everybody in the league and media is blaming the fans for garbaging the ice, but from my perspective the officiating was itself garbage and ultimately attracted more of the same. An exciting game to attend, but ultra frustrating. No wonder the place exploded.

PS: The Kings got screwed too. That too many men penalty in OT was borderline in the extreme, and a two-minute 4v3 was, predictably, death, even on a night neither PP could otherwise connect.

PPS: For the record, I didn’t participate in the garbaging of the ice, and never have done so, but I have been at enough “angry mob” type games to understand the mindset that leads to such behaviour.

Whitney may become a bigger story after tonight. The Flames have big, strong guys and then they have some fast ones too. Glencross one on one against Whitney–which could happen–has epic possibilities.

58. 48 percent body fat says:

gr8one,

Lol, I love this. Only in Canada does some one say he only plays 7 hours down the road.

Bruce: this season, I decided to hit the ‘extend one hour’ to make sure about the early games. There’s an added two minutes per intermission and in a game like tonight with Toronto being the first game, the opening ceremonies usually last 10 hours. Now, they’re in NYC tonight, but when it comes to the Leafs and ceremonies I take no chances.

Ken Dryden could be anywhere. ANYWHERE!

If you have to pay Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, and Yakupov, I don’t see how you can pay Getzlaf.

Getzlaf is earning $6,125,000 this year. More than the Hall and Eberle salary cap.

Getzlaf and Perry are going to be getting 7 year contract offers. The Oilers can’t afford to offer term like that at the dollars then are going to demand.

Toronto has massive cap space, and can target both of them, with term and salary.

Spend the money on a better top four D, rather than on the mythical big second line centre.

61. Ribs says:

If it makes anyone feel any better, McGeough isn’t listed as “Supervisor” on tonights game notes like he was against the Kings. No Supervisor listed tonight at all, whatever that means.

62. Bruce McCurdy says:

re: Whitney, there was one play in the second period where the Kings gained the blueline on a routine 2-on-2 vs. Whitney and Fistric, and THEN dumped the puck behind Whitney and took it to the end wall. Almost always one sees such shoot-ins come from between centre and the attacking blue line, but this was a “short dump” from right inside the zone. An interesting strategy; it’ll be interesting to see if other teams try similar.

63. "Steve Smith" says:

Ribs,

Presumably, it means that the refs will be free to call whatever they want, instead of being all constrained like they were in the L.A. game.

64. Bruce McCurdy says:

Maybe they’ll rediscover the old penalty on the goalie for leaving his feet to make a save, and make him serve it himself!

65. Ribs says:

Refs Gone Wild! Can’t wait! Ha.

Hordichuk in, Hartikainen out. Ralph, you’re killing me.

67. Lucinius says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Speaking of which, just read Kerry Fraser’s take on the disallowed goal. So bad. He makes several points that show just how wrong he is, such as neglecting the fact Gagner gets out of the crease and so is Quick (only part of his right pad is in the crease during his attempt to spin around). Unfortunately par for the course for Kerry, but still bad to see.

68. Ribs says:

I always find it amusing when Whitney is approaching the boards to get a puck. Poor guy. He’s still pretty danged good but he’s going to take a beating from the fans.

That “New 100%” quote is a killer. He really should have kept saying it’s getting better every day like he’s said forever.

69. Ribs says:

I was joking with my wife that Quick should have got a holding penalty on that play.

70. jp says:

Hordichuk in, Hartikainen out. Ralph, you’re killing me.

Had to happen at some point. He scored a couple in the last “game” he played didn’t he?

71. bookjLe says:

Pool for random obscure penalty called tonight.

I got “Goalie throwing puck towards opponent’s goal ” in the second period at 12:14

Bruce McCurdy:
    re: Whitney, there was one play in the second period where the Kings gained the blueline on a routine 2-on-2 vs. Whitney and Fistric, and THEN dumped the puck behind Whitney and took it to the end wall. Almost always one sees such shoot-ins come from between centreand the attacking blue line, but this was a “short dump” from right inside the zone. An interesting strategy; it’ll be interesting to see if other teams try similar.

Good eye Bruce.

Make no mistake, the other teams have video on 6′s mobility issues and will try to exploit the hell out of it.

Anything that makes Whitney pivot and push off is a good bet, like that short dump.

73. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: Talking to? Are you kidding?

Lucinius:
    Bruce McCurdy,

I think this kind of “circling the wagons” is completely pro forma… it’s the public face of the NHL and it isn’t likely to admit wrongdoing on any scale at any time…

more interesting is whether they have privately internalized the complaint. Surely they have.

In that instance, it seems there are two possible unspoken responses:

1) double down in a kind of self-justificatory effort: “my continued action in this manner vindicates my prior action!”

2) learning and correction: “I’ll act differently, but I’ll never concede that I am doing so, or acknowledge the reason for my change in behaviour, or that it has even changed… damn your eyes!”

74. khildahl says:

dawgtoy:
    @SUN_TYCHKOWSKI: Tom Kowal and Greg Kimmerly are reffing the game again tonight

The only job in the world that rewards such spectacular failure. Over and over again.

I work with a fellow whose other job is as a bantam scout for a WHL team (not the local one). We were talking yesterday about the “officiating” from Thursday night and he mentioned that he knows Tom Kowal from his days as a WHL ref. Apparently the guy quite literally picks through the rule book to find obscure crap and looks for a chance to call it, as he wants to be the centre of attention.

I would say we have some empirical evidence of the truth of that statement now. Putting those striped clowns back in a game is beyond the pale.

75. justDOit says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I did say ‘hopefully’, after all, so no – I’m not kidding. Just hoping. But as I mentioned earlier, a parade of penalties might be the best bet for the Oilers tonight, with their special teams looking good (save for the SJS game).

Lucinius,

I read Fraser’s take as well, and what we can’t deny, is that the officials get one chance to make that call. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player get trapped up in the goalies’ equipment, preventing him from clearing the crease, which makes the snap decision even more difficult for the zebras.

As many ways as the officials screwed over the Oilers, so too did they ram-it-home to the KIngs. The call in OT was very borderline (but the KIngs had been pushing it all night with the line changes), and the non-call on Gagner for cross-checking Doughty led to the winning goal. Another non-call (littering the ice) should be the icing on the cake for Kings’ fans.

76. justDOit says:

bookjLe:
    Pool for random obscure penalty called tonight.

I’ll take ‘kicking a broken stick out of the way’. I seem to remember this being called in the past couple of years…

77. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookjLe:
    Pool for random obscure penalty called tonight.

Whatever Fistric got for this:

78. khildahl says:

justDOit:

I’ve never been a fan of the “littering the ice” penalty, though I’ve never seen it called. I’ve heard it threatened more than once, though. Given that there’s absolutely nothing to stop a fan of the visiting team from throwing stuff (except possibly the fear of being beaten to death), I don’t think it can be called with any certainty.

79. jp says:

khildahl: I’ve never been a fan of the “littering the ice” penalty, though I’ve never seen it called.I’ve heard it threatened more than once, though.Given that there’s absolutely nothing to stop a fan of the visiting team from throwing stuff (except possibly the fear of being beaten to death), I don’t think it can be called with any certainty.

Fair point, but I’m pretty certain I’ve seen it called. I think with the octopi in Detroit at some point.

And it is true that the officials could have called a couple more things on the Oil, and that the Kings also have a few things they can complain about, but the Oil still clearly got the short end of the officiating stick imo.

80. justDOit says:

One more thing I’ve noticed watching the Flames so far this year: the music SUX at the saddledome.

Edmonton: AC/DC, Scorpions, Led Zepp.

Calgary: Maroon 5.

That is all.

81. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

The face-off violation call was a real beauty. The defending champs played a great game (minus the PP), but that game was more about beating the refs than LA.

82. bookjLe says:

khildahl: The only job in the world that rewards such spectacular failure.Over and over again.

I work with a fellow whose other job is as a bantam scout for a WHL team (not the local one).We were talking yesterday about the “officiating” from Thursday night and he mentioned that he knows Tom Kowal from his days as a WHL ref.Apparently the guy quite literally picks through the rule book to find obscure crap and looks for a chance to call it, as he wants to be the centre of attention.

I would say we have some empirical evidence of the truth of that statement now.Putting those striped clowns back in a game is beyond the pale.

To be fair, if the obscure rules are stupid and shouldn’t be called, they should be removed.

83. jp says:

justDOit:

Edmonton: AC/DC, Scorpions, Led Zepp.

Calgary: Maroon 5.

That is all.

84. justDOit says:

jp,

A slightly warmer climate leads to higher incidence of brain parasites?

85. Kris11 says:

Hordichuk in, Hartikainen out. Ralph, you’re killing me.

The good things is that the Oilers have enough depth at wing to double shift wingers on the 4th line to cover Hordichuk’s minutes without tiring anyone out.

86. Bruce McCurdy says:

Calling a penalty on the home fans is asking for a lynching AFAIC. (Not literally you understand.) But in 100% of all cases where fans are garbaging the ice, they are already enraged at the officials, and for themselves & their team to be further penalized because they responded to a perceived injustice would be over the top.

It’s a tricky issue. I’ve seen a few cases in the NFL as well where it wasn’t going to end well no matter what. But usually because the stripes had already screwed over the home team.

87. oilersfan says:

I think Hordichuk is dressing to protect the Oilers’ forwards from the Flames’ defencemen, and the dirty play of two of their forwards. While Iginla can fight, he isn’t a dirty player.Glencross has been very dirty against Gagner and Eberle in the past, and I don’t think anyone in management has forgotten what Sarich did to Hall last year, giving him a concussion.

I would bet $10 Hordy is in the lineup tonight to fight Sarich for that hit, 8 months later. Or, at the very least, to try to prevent a simlar play in tonight’s game.

88. Kris11 says:

Can we all agree that there should be a big fine for regularly dressing and then playing a player less than 10 minutes, if that player gets more than one fighting major every 15 games that he plays? (You’d have to write the rule more carefully than that, but you get the idea.)

Something like that seems like a good way of flushing the goons from the league (already under way): if they play only a few minutes and fight, then the fines happen, and get worse for more infractions.

That means the actual players can fight when they see fit, which is less than ideal to me, but not so bad.

89. Bruce McCurdy says:

Kris11: Well, we had to know that was coming. The mouth-breathing fans (a vocal plurality, but nt all fans) want staged fights, especially in rivalry games like this, so Hordichuk goes in for entertainment.

Hartikainen has averaged 7:33 per game. Hordichuk is apt to play about half of that, so the extra workload on the main guys will be relatively minimal, maybe ~one shift apiece.

90. jp says:

justDOit:
    jp,

A slightly warmer climate leads to higher incidence of brain parasites?

lol. I guess I don’t have any better explanation :)

91. raventalon40 says:

Sorry to beat this horse to death, but I think a Subban trade would be possible. But if we’re not giving up any of of Eberle, Schultz, or the #1 overalls, then Paajarvi and/or Gagner HAS to be part of the conversation.

Case 1

Jordan Staal, F

Case 4

Lubomir Visnovsky, D

for

2013 2nd-round pick

End of case studies

Since we gave up our third round pick the Oilers might be shy to give up their 1st and 2nd this year. But two 1st round picks might be a steep price considering the case studies I just looked at. We’d have to get something back from Montreal. They already have a lot of small skill forwards so I don’t think Gagner gets it done. Paajarvi is more likely.

So I guess my point is that of course the asking price for Subban would be high, but not as high as everyone is suggesting, I think.

But enough about Subban.

But after checking out their roster I actually like the idea of adding a Josh Gorges and Travis Moen more right now, considering the asking price would be lower. I know we have our own Josh Gorges in Nick Schultz already, but Gorges is a solid veteran D-man and you can never have enough of those around, especially if Whitney is done.

And Moen, he’s an Eager that scores goals.

92. Max Powers says:

bookjLe,

I’m curious as to your thoughts on the whole 50Hz vs. 60Hz as well….

93. remlap says:

I will be there. Up in the ‘bleeds, but still in the building. Should be good.

I was considering making a “Yak City” sign to bring to the game, mainly for the pre-game skate. What say you Oilers fans? Yay or nay?

94. Kris11 says:

Bruce McCurdy: Hartikainen is the only player in the starting line-up who hasn’t averaged 2+ minutes on one of the special teams, so the most easily replaceable. (Paajarvi is the only other who hasn’t averaged at least THREE minutes on one or other special team).

Quite right Bruce. But, as you suggest, there will be more double shifting if the refs put away the whistle.

95. hunter1909 says:

Seriously, when it comes to the Oilers, wtf does a Toronto centric Terry Jones know about this team that 16,000 people(plus untold numbers of internet deadbeats) didn’t witness for their own eyes on Thursday night?

Clay: The feeling is that the Flaims are in a pretty sour mood

Hard to get too excited about their PMS cartography. They’re smack dab at the very start of a MacT/Lowe 2000-2007 death march; needless to say that’s not why over 87% of the fans planning to watch tonight’s game live will be tuning in…

Gerta Rauss: The problem I see with Whitney is where does he fit in the pay scale moving forward?

In the world of NHLPA 1%ers getting guaranteed contracts, and virtually always spiraling up contract money no matter how much they blow no matter what, Whitney’s as good as gone down the road.

Maybe if he deigns his worthless body’s value more in line with the reality of a 2013 NHL hockey franchise on the make then fine, okay, but since he’s obviously a self entitled Irishman with delivery capability issues, don’t hit your head on the way out, lol. The Flames can have him.

96. raventalon40 says:

Here’s a curious thought: what if we were to acquire James Reimer as a backup to Dubnyk? I don’t know how much of an upgrade (if at all) he is over Khabibulin or Danis, but his numbers would suggest his is at least capable.

Plus if he can play in the fishbowl that is Toronto, he should be ok.

I guess it depends if the Leafs see this as a Scrivens team or a Reimer team heading forward. But if they are in fact looking at getting Luongo, I would make a pitch for Reimer.

97. hunter1909 says:

Maybe Whitney signs with the Hurricanes next summer, then leads them in a future SC Finals encounter over the OIlers. And wins the Conn Smythe Trophy.

98. raventalon40 says:

hunter1909:

That is the subject of a future nightmare of mine.

99. justDOit says:

hunter1909:

100. hunter1909 says:

raventalon40,

I personally like Whitney, so it wouldn’t bother me as much.

Kind of makes sense, Whalers being generally able to get the better out of Oilers.

Right?

101. bookjLe says:

I am looking forward to Fisteric bringing even More Cowbell to the Flames tonight.

102. oilersfan says:

Whitney said last summer he wants to re-sign in Edmonton and expects to make substantially less and doesn’t mind because they paid him a ton of money to be injured for 1.5 years. He is good friends with Hall and Eberle and I believe he wants to win more than make money.

We can agree he is over paid and not a top 4 option anymore, but why can’t he play on the third pairing with pp time, no pk time, and make $1 million? I think he is that perfect veteran puck moving third pairing guy who doesn’t make much money.

Or are those of you criticizing him saying he can’t even play on the third pairing? Let’s watch at least 10 games before we make that decisions, no?

Oilersfan: Because you’re already at a disadvantage before the first injury because you already have your first injury. Roster spots are too valuable to give out if there’s half the game that is a constant struggle.

104. BlacqueJacque says:

jp: Haha, I’ve noticed that in past years too. WTF Calgary!? Same story in Vancouver.

Not sure about Vancouver, but I’ve repeatedly heard that the Saddledome has both bad acoustics and bad internal layout for a big sound stage.

105. oilersfan says:

Lowetide: so you don’t think Whitney is good enough to play on the third pairing?

106. raventalon40 says:

hunter1909:
    raventalon40,

I personally like Whitney, so it wouldn’t bother me as much.

Right?

Not the Whitney part. The Hurricanes part.

107. "Steve Smith" says:

oilersfan: Let’s watch at least 10 games before we make that decisions, no?

Okay. If he miraculously becomes an NHL defenceman at some point within the next seven games, I will reverse my opposition to re-signing him.

108. BlacqueJacque says:

You know LT, I don’t think this series has been quite as tepid as you claim in your post.

The NHL’s introduction to Jordan Eberle was in the opener vs the Flames. They were on highlight reels all year because of that. The 6-1 drubbing and 3-1 wins we had to end last season the swagger of our team thus far this season suggest that the BOA is heating up.

109. skinny65 says:

They are showing old episodes of Oil Change and it is the one where they drafted Hall. The entire management team is slapping themselves on the back and saying, “We’ve turned the corner.” Oh lordy, what a bunch of delusional chumps.
    It’s been a long road to get to the excitement of this year.

oilersfan:

No. I know it’s an awful thing to say and hope he proves me wrong and then drives a truckful of manure over to my house and dumps it on my lawn to put an exclamation point on it.

111. Romulus Apotheosis says:

oilersfan,

To rephrase Oilersfan…

When it comes to the 5-8 spots on a team aren’t we already dealing with a series of fairly substantial trade-offs, whether it be positioning, decision making, speed, strength, passing ability, evasive quickness, defensive acumen, offensive acumen, longevity, etc.

I mean doesn’t every 5-8 player win a spot by making up for deficiencies in other areas…

So it seems to me, if this is where Whitney definitely is now (and I think most agree he is), the question becomes: how is his deficiency categorically different from the other plugs slugging it out in those slots?

LT seems to be saying a roster can’t afford a player significantly hobbled in one manner or another.

That seems obvious… but perhaps with the caveat that these are really quantitative matters and not qualitative matters….

Or, every team must accept a series of deficiencies in the bottom of its depth chart (guiding reality: neither the talent, nor the money, exists to staff all, or most of, the teams with grade A players throughout). So, every team is hobbled by its players already and has to mitigate these deficiencies via sums of parts, and/or better bad parts.

So, is Whitney’s “injury” so much worse than what the team is going to lose at any rate from any prospective replacement?

Or, is he so hobbled as to be irredeemable, or is he on par with the vast majority of the talent available for 5-8 positions?

112. B S says:

Kris11,

I want to take you back to the end of Renney’s first game as Oilers head coach. It was at home against the Flames, Ebs had that stunner of a shorthanded goal. There was 2:30 left in the third period and the Oilers were up 4-0. The Flames were beaten, broken, and the home fans were electric, witnesses to a new era in Oilers hockey. It’s a faceoff in the Oilers zone (iirc), Sutter sends his line out on the ice. On the left wing is Ivanans, big, mean winger. What can Renney do? Ivanans is out there to run and injure any Oilers player he can reach, to send a message that they won’t lose next time.

I’m bringing this up (a play that almost all modern Oilers fans have ingrained in their memory) because you’re claiming that taking goons out of the game is a good thing, But that winger doesn’t have to be Ivanans, it could be Iginla, or a D (remember Phaneuf hitting Cogliano from behind, head first into the boards). This is the play where you need your enforcer on the ice to ensure that the other team doesn’t take liberties in a game they have no chance of winning.

MacIntyre was sent out to stop Ivanans from hurting the skilled forwards or D on the Oilers, which he did authoritatively. A good enforcer ensures that other teams are apprehensive about taking cheap shots on your players, reducing injuries, and, since he isn’t going to start unnecessary fights, this effectively reduces fighting. Of course this works best without the instigator rule since the Matt Cooke and Sean Averys of the world can’t through a sucker punch and the turtle behind the referees.

113. PunjabiOil says:

Oilersfan: when did Whitney say that? Any link?

Interesting if true. Whitney has looked better this year in my “saw him good” view. Do the numbers early on substantiate this?

I don’t think the Oilers should make any decision until deadline day. See how he plays out before making a decision

114. "Steve Smith" says:

B S,

That MacIntyre-Ivanans fight was one of the most repulsive things I’ve seen in more than twenty years of watching hockey.

Do you have any empirical evidence for any of this?

115. oilersfan says:

Punjabi, I don’t think I read it, iirc I remember watching him on tv in a postgame interview at the end of the season. That he loved the teammates and wants to be around when they are good, and that he will take a big pay cut as he felt bad about the money he made while he was so injured.

The part about how good of friend he is with them, I put together because last year during the allstar break Hall went to Mexico with Gagner and Whitney and one other player. Can’t remember who. Not Ebelre because he was at the all star game…point is I am under the impression Whitney is good buds with Hall and wants to stay here.

I am not sure if by a pay cut he means 2 or 3 million. BUt if he means 1 million I think it bears watching to see if he can be an above average puck moving third pairing veteran dman who can play on the second pp.

116. justDOit says:

“Steve Smith”:
    B S,

Wholeheartedly agree SS. And having SMac sitting on the bench for 58:45 per night did absolutely nuthin to prevent other teams from taking runs at the Oilers.

Are the Flames even carrying a designated goon this year?

117. Romulus Apotheosis says:

"Steve Smith":
    B S,

Do you have any empirical evidence for any of this?

can’t find more than this:

you can see the pushing from MAC at the puck drop but not who sent the lines out first.

a good article from the time:

118. oilersfan says:

I think with Whitney we all need to give him 10-20 games to see how he adjusts to the situation. Maybe he can be a very good third pairing guy once he figures out how to play with the limited mobility. Lets watch and see. Veteran puck movers are hard to find and if he can play on the third pairing without hurting too much then why not, if he will take 1 million or so.

119. jp says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    oilersfan,

I think Whitney is clearly going to continue to be an NHL defenseman whether the Oilers resign him or not. It’s obvious he’s no longer able to be a top 4 guy, but if he’s paid as a 3rd pairing player and expectations for him are that, then I don’t see any problem keeping him around. He is “injured”, but at this point he’s not an “injury risk” beyond the damage that’s already done. If he wants to stay in Edm and is friends with the kids, all the better. He still has value imo, though he has looked fairly bad this season so far.

Schultz, Schultz, Petry, Smid, Fistric…

I think the Oilers are going to want someone better than Whitney to be the other guy next year. You want someone who can move up and play top four replacement level.

Fistric looks to be a solid #6. Physical and able to PK.

If they sign Smid and Fistric, going into the summer they’ll have:

Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz
    Fistric-Peckham

and Fedun, Teubert, Marincin in the AHL and Klefbom and Gernat graduating. I think they’d do well to keep all of them in the AHL, so the club would need to add one puck mover–and even that guy would only need to be a one or two year gap to Marincin.

There’s some nice things coming.

122. Lucinius says:

Ouch for Colorado; Landeskog hurt. Took a big, clean hit. Watching it I figured it’d be his head hurting, but he was helped to the dressing room due to a limp.

123. jb says:

I think they don’t re-sign Whitney and use that 4 mill + some to acquire a pricey physical top 4 veteran type who can move the puck reasonably well. You have to give Whitney a good half season to find his groove though.

124. Romulus Apotheosis says:

If they sign Smid and Fistric, going into the summer they’ll have:

Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz
    Fistric-Peckham

There’s some nice things coming.

Potter signed through 2013-14.

is he the guy (“one puck mover”) then? (for next year at any rate)

Rom: I think Potter is a guy Edmonton moves past here at some point. If you have Smid-Petry, and the two Schultz boys I think fistric and a new 6-7 makes sense.

126. Marc says:

jb:

He’s in the 3rd pairing this season so the Oilers are playing with house money as far as he’s concerned.

He’s got a very good first pass so if he can play himself into being even average defensively then we’ve got a very good third pairing D that can probably be resigned pretty cheaply. If not, well then you say farewell at the end of the season.

127. speeds says:

With respect to Subban and the offer sheet, I think it’s something that makes more sense for other teams than for EDM.

It makes more sense to me that a team projected higher up standings go that route – less risk with the draft pick, and there are teams that could use Subban a bunch as well.

128. speeds says:

That isn’t to say I think it’s necessarily the worst idea ever for EDM, either, just that there are other teams that make more sense, and don’t have the same RFA repercussions as EDM.

129. Romulus Apotheosis says:

What to do with him [Potter] then? can you trade him in the summer… maybe bundle him with some moving parts for this new 6-7?

maybe Renney can convince Det. to take him? maybe they’ll be panicy post Lid.

Marc: If not, well then you say farewell at the end of the season.

re: whitney… is there anyway we can be a playoff-bound team that still offloads Whitney this year for something at the deadline? I doubt we are deep enough… but it would be nice to replace the 3rd (or better) we gave up for Fistric.

Rom: Send him to OKC. If you lose Potter on waivers then life goes on. The Oilers have their jacks and kings now, its time to really tighten up this roster.

131. Lucinius says:

Well, Landeskog back out for Colorado, so they may have dodged a bullet there. Marleau, Thorton and Pavelski are really going to start the season.

Don’t like San Jose, but glad I have two of them in my pool.

132. Marc says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

The only way I could see that happening is if Potter outplays him for the puckmover slot in the third pairing, and even then I suspect they keep him for his experience rather than move him for a low pick. Whitney won a Stanley Cup with PIttsburgh and made it to the Conference Finals with Anaheim. The only other Oilers D to have NHL playoff experience are Schultz (and that was more than a decade ago) and Fistric (in his rookie season).

133. khildahl says:

Marc: The only way I could see that happening is if Potter outplays him for the puckmover slot in the third pairing, and even then I suspect they keep him for his experience rather than move him for a low pick.Whitney won a Stanley Cup with PIttsburgh and made it to the Conference Finals with Anaheim.The only other Oilers D to have NHL playoff experience are Schultz (and that was more than a decade ago) and Fistric (in his rookie season).

To be fair to Fistric’s limited experience, the Stars did go to the conference finals that year. Looks like he only played in 9 games, though. I’m not sure which ones.

134. Hayek says:

Please, Hordichuk, why? Unless this means there will be double shifting of actual talented players.

On a playoff team in a full season, your #5 D really has to be able to play at the level of a #4, or you are not going to be a playoff team.

So it will likely make it pointless to re-sign Whitney, since it is doubtful he can play at a 2nd pairing level anymore.

Potter got the 2nd year to make it painful for anyone to claim him off of waivers this year. Next year, who cares, if someone claims him off of waivers. Fedun, Teubert, Klefbom, Marincin, etc can share the #7 D spot.

136. jb says:

True, if anything you add a veteran D at the deadline, and like Lowetide said.. Potter to the minors isn’t such a big deal.

137. hunter1909 says:

“Steve Smith”,

Supposing you miraculously become an NHL defenceman sometime in the next seven games?

138. BONVIE says:

Two Quick points. This would be a great night to call every little infration like they did last game, as I believe there is a big mismatch in Specialy Teams in favour of the good guys.

Lastly my prediction is a 7-1 blowout with a 4 point night for at least one player on the Hall-Nugent-Eberle line.

139. Rebilled says:

The Godless Pukes sounds like a really shitty punk band. Fitting.

140. Gerta Rauss says:

Interesting article by Travis Yost on the goaltending situation in Ottawa.

141. copperblueandwhite says:

Woodguy,

I could not agree more Woodguy, I hope they stomp the cowgirls 10-zip

142. khildahl says:

copperblueandwhite,

Watch for the zebras to invent a “scoring too many goals” penalty.

143. Gerta Rauss says:

Arnott signs with the Rangers

144. gogliano says:

Would be a nice symbolic victory to vault to the head of the division 1/12 of the season in. Calgary is already in danger of being buried and getting the nails a little closer to the coffin wouldn’t hurt. Our final three games with Cowtown are all in April so the bigger their commitment to blowing up this season the better it is for us down the road.

It’s official: ANOTHER MUST WIN GAME.

145. hunter1909 says:

Okay my chicken bones have just told me…

Tonight’s game starts out looking like an Oilers blowout; then the Flames pull themselves together and make it close, but ultimately lose the contest like the dopes that they are.

146. khildahl says:

hunter1909,

I don’t know. I think this may be the game where we finally start to see some killer instinct from the kids (the coach playing them in the third period should help with that).

147. Matt.N says:

Hordichuk won’t play that much. Hall and Yakupov get some double shifting with the 4th line. Team is better 5on5 with this line up.

148. Bruce McCurdy says:

hunter1909: I just remember one of the first times I heard the Oilers were murdered in a hockey game, I reckon sometime late in the 1983-84 season. By the Whalers and I think it was 11-1. And none of the Oilers 5 star players were playing that night, which seemed weird to me at the time but wtf did I know then better than I know now?

Actually it was Eleven to nil for bloody Hartford

Only Gretzky and Kurri were out, but the rest of the crew was running on fumes.

149. B S says:

"Steve Smith",

Logic, why was Ivanans out on the ice in a game the Flames were about to lose? Who has last change in a home game? Therefore who has first change?

@Romulus: Bob Mackenzie is a fool (a well-connected fool). He is reliable for insider information, but poor at analysis. At no point does he ever ask why Ivanans is on the ice. Anyone who’s watched Big Mac can tell you he won’t fight unless his opponent accepts. There are plenty of fights throughout the season and while Mackenzie is vocal against violence in hockey (one of the few things I respect about him) the only reason he singles out this fight is the result, he clearly doesn’t understand the circumstances leading up to it. If Ivanans doesn’t get knocked out then no-one makes a big deal out of this fight (the sound where where Ivanans takes it to the side of the head is particularly brutal, I know I felt sick to my stomach as soon as I heard it). It’s also worth pointing out that once it becomes clear that Ivanans isn’t getting up the crowds cheering gradually settles, as you can hear in the broadcast, but Mackenzie fabricates a tale of the disgusting Oilers fans laughing and cheering as he gets taken away in a stretcher (broadcast audio can be touchy so if you were at the game feel free to correct me).

That fight is no different than the Eager vs Kassian fight last week, right down to a concussed player as a result (head injuries are tricky, Eager too could be out for a season). Yet few if anyone raised concerns about why that fight occured.

@Justdoit: before you question the utility of the player it is worth considering how Renney deployed him. Renney seemed to be very much against using enforcers and would have controlled MacIntyre’s icetime. Regarding their use of a Roster spot, that becomes the tradeoff of having someone to restrain the physical play of the other team.

I’m not suggesting teams need an enforcer, but I’m just trying to point out that they have utility in the NHL. I’m also not advocating staged fights (drop the gloves at the opening faceoffs sort of crap). But I would suggest you need someone on the team who’ll take Dorsett from the game so that Hall doesn’t have to choose between letting Dorsett hack at his ankles until it breaks, or fighting him (and subsequently twisting his ankle anyway). Of course none of this would be necessary if Refs would call a clean game, but I’m not holding my breath on that.

150. khildahl says:

B S,

MacIntyre never fought anyone unwilling? Really?

151. Bruce McCurdy says:

speeds: Also, as far as needing the 3rd goes, if EDM decided to go the offer sheet route, I’m not sure it would be a problem. If EDM offers DAL a 3rd and a 5th for their 3rd back, would DAL not make that deal?

Oilers did have to do something very similar to that to recover a pick they needed for the Dustin Penner compensation. Traded a second rounder to get their third-rounder back from the Islanders, & got Allan Rourke as a throw-in. Islanders used that second rounder to take a pretty good player in Travis Hamonic. In fact, all three picks the Oilers effectively spent to get Penner turned out pretty good.

152. "Steve Smith" says:

khildahl,

Code of honour! Deterrent! Intangibles! Canadian!

153. Bruce McCurdy says:

“Steve Smith”:
    khildahl,

Code of honour!Deterrent!Intangibles!Canadian!

If he wasn’t playing hockey he’d be causing Real trouble.

154. khildahl says:

Oh, shut up, Don Cherry.

EDIT: Not that he said anything unexpected.

155. Professor Q says:

khildahl,

What is Cherry saying now? (no HNIC/CC for me :()

156. khildahl says:

Professor Q,

blah blah blah Yakupov’s an idiot blah blah blah Fleury was an idiot blah blah blah onions on his belt blah blah blah Yakupovs an idiot blah blah blah he embarassed poor Jonathan Quick waawaa boohoo

157. "Steve Smith" says:

Professor Q: What is Cherry saying now?

“Code of honour! Deterrent! Intangibles! Canadian!”

158. Hayek says:

How is Cherry even relevant anymore? He seems to be living 30 years in the past.

159. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”,

LMAO. No, but he did start off with a rambling ode to the Leafs and their truculent swagger.

160. Captain Happy says:

Wade Redden scores in his first game back.

161. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”: “Code of honour! Deterrent! Intangibles! Canadian!”

exactly.

That Cherry thing was exactly what we might have expected. Is there ANYONE who believes he is relevant?

163. striatic says:

i love the creative editing on Cherry’s rant, showing Quick lying face down AFTER Yakupov’s celebration, and Cherry saying “he embarrassed Quick” .. when in fact Quick lay face down BEFORE Yakupov started skating away.

and how does that embarrass Quick? Quick had no chance on the shot, and it isn’t like he mis-played Hall’s initial shot.

164. khildahl says:

Just the CBC.

165. khildahl says:

striatic,

If Quick had ANYTHING to be embarassed about it was his performance on the waved-off goal.

khildahl:
    striatic,

THIS!

167. jake70 says:

The only reaction to the celebration that I would be concerned with is that of the other players in his own dressing room. We know Belanger won’t chase him around next time…he’s made that clear.

168. Captain Happy says:

The whole point of Coach’s Corner is to get people talking.

Looks like it was successful, again.

169. striatic says:

it was also lovely how he called Fleury’s slide idiotic, despite Fleury’s slide being the signature clip on the HNIC opening for the past couple years.

are we allowed no iconic images of hockey success other than Bobby Orr getting tripped?

maybe players shouldn’t lift the Stanley Cup and take laps, because it might piss off and embarrass the losing team.

170. "Steve Smith" says:

Captain Happy: The whole point of Coach’s Corner is to get people talking.

Looks like it was successful, again.

I think I now understand you as a human being.

“Steve Smith”: I think I now understand you as a human being.

I understand him better as a baked bean

172. danny says:

Did Bettman present Minny with their Stanley Cup banner yet?

Woodguy: I understand him better as a baked bean

Dried?

177. Professor Q says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Refried.

178. Captain Happy says:

danny:
    Did Bettman present Minny with their Stanley Cup banner yet?

It won’t be this year but it won’t be long.

179. spoiler says:

Captain Happy:
    Wade Redden scores in his first game back.

No, he didn’t.

180. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Besides… isn’t the “iconic” shot at the end of the Coach’s Corner intro of Cherry’s braggadocio, waving his arms in the face of everyone, kind of worse?

Yak’s celebration wasn’t an “f-u” to the other team, fans or anyone…

181. khildahl says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think most people realize that. All the talking heads on TSN liked it.

182. Jonathan Willis says:

I don’t get the anger over the Sarich thing. Hall fell as the hit was coming; sure, Sarich had him lined up but it’s not like he did a flying leap or anything.

Agree with the commenter above who said that if the Oilers want to be a playoff team, their’ fifth ‘D’ needs to be a guy who can play top-4 minutes when called on and right now Whitney doesn’t look like that guy. Maybe he picks it up as the season goes on, but if he doesn’t I don’t see how he fits in with the team past this summer.

183. B S says:

khildahl:
    B S,

MacIntyre never fought anyone unwilling? Really?

Holy crap, that wasn’t a fight, that was Bruce Banner losing his shit! The entire time Mac played in Edmonton he wouldn’t even deliver big hits let alone drop the gloves and instigate, I wonder what the hell happened to him?

“Steve Smith”:
    khildahl,

Code of honour!Deterrent!Intangibles!Canadian!

To be fair, I only claimed Deterrent as an excuse, precisely because there is no code of honour in hockey. Although the Cherry comparison was a pretty tough burn. To the deterrent point: tell me that you’d be taking cheapshots against a team with a nutjob like above riding the bench. Again, I’m not claiming violence in hockey is right, just that there is a possible strategic advantage in having enforcement on your team.

striatic:

Didn’t even bother watching Coach’s Corner. I kind of figured that would be gist of it and I don’t need that for my blood pressure. Poor Ron, what a way to waste an intermission.

184. striatic says:

Rangers outshooting Toronto tonight 42 to 17.

yikes.

185. striatic says:

but at least the Leafs got that swagger!

186. Gerta Rauss says:

Jonathan Willis,

And further to your point, if Whitney does improve his play, the decision becomes even more difficult. If he plays poorly, the options are pretty simple(trade, walkaway July 1)..if he plays well/well enough, do you give him another contract, and how much…and how long..?

Good play helps us this year, but does the org want to bet long term on those ankles..?

187. khildahl says:

striatic,

Truculent swagger!

188. Ribs says:

Coach’s Corner Link http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynightincanada/coachescorner/video/#id=2329398654

The Yakupov comments were pretty predictable but I think I laughed more when he commented on Smid’s mad fighting skills.

189. khildahl says:

Ribs,

“Good on him for fighting, even though he can’t fight because he’s a Czech!”

190. sliderule says:

I think the oil should give up one of those second rounders for Bishop.

If Dubnyk can’t do the job your chance of drafting a goalie that can play during the window we will have with the kids is slim and none.In the drafts from 2007 to 2010 there were by my count 15 goalies drafted in first round and second round and the whole bunch have only played a few handful of games.
    We will have to trade for a goalie if Dubnyk falters

191. striatic says:

khildahl: “Good on him for fighting, even though he can’t fight because he’s a Czech!”

what a buffoon.

192. vishcosity says:

Jonathan Willis:

Clear intent to injure. In Canada its called “playing hard”, or “physical hockey” but really to me it is gladiator blood sports, its what the kids in minor hockey try to emulate when really they just crank opponents from behind. Crushing the opponents seems barbarian to me, I’ve never seen fighting to be essential to the game, I think its a key reason it hasn’t really picked up in the States.

As for me I’ll take plays from Datsyuk and Thornton over anything Steve Macintyre could ever offer. To me, being Canadian is not about shedding blood or playing dirty, being Canadian is about peace keeping and diplomacy. I think its time our game reflected our international politics.

Watching the Oil and Kings game the other day, I relished in the play making, the passing, the speed, the dexterity. To me that is the game I want to see. What Sarich did to Hall I think has no place in civilized society. To me its a throwback to archaic barbarianism, ruthless and mean spirited hockey is not what I want our kids to be playing.

I hope you don’t encourage your minor league team to play like Cory Sarich and instead encourage them to play like Jordan Eberle.

193. Lucinius says:

One of these days I want a telecast with Oakes and Principe. The duo should be amazing.

194. khildahl says:

striatic: what a buffoon.

Everything else that comes out of his mouth is clearly the result of oxygen deprivation from those tight collars.

195. Smarmy says:

vishcosity: Clear intent to injure.In Canada its called “playing hard”, or “physical hockey” but really to me it is gladiator blood sports, its what the kids in minor hockey try to emulate when really they just crank opponents from behind.Crushing the opponents seems barbarian to me, I’ve never seen fighting to be essential to the game, I think its a key reason it hasn’t really picked up in the States.

I agree with you on the folly of hitting to hurt rather then the true intent of puck seperation, but you’re wrong on the violence being the roadblock to the American market. Football is king and that is the definition of “gladiator bloodsport”

Hockey is being marketed to males age 18-34 in the U.S. That demographics favourites sports are MMA and Football.

196. khildahl says:

Calgary’s arena announcer has always reminded me of the guy from The Price is Right.

Old farts, come on down!

197. striatic says:

sliderule: We will have to trade for a goalie if Dubnyk falters

i agree, but what is the timing? trade in advance of him faltering, or wait for him to falter?

if Dubnyk succeeds, i think you can get through the next two seasons with Dubnyk and Danis.

or you could trade for Bishop now.

i think i like trading for Bishop now, if possible. i’m confident in Dubnyk’s ability, but he could take an injury at any point.

198. striatic says:

khildahl: I’ll give him one for agreeing the new rules are stupid and the linesmen are screwing up faceoffs.

he’s also been right about bringing in no-touch icing.

stopped clocks, so on.