OILERS AT SHARKS G7 (12-13) 31.1.13

As we begin today, Taylor Hall is tied for 7th in the entire league in assists and tied for 13th in overall scoring. The Oilers are in 5th place in the conference and with a win tonight could sit alone atop the NW division. What the hell is going on around here?

Ralph Krueger isn’t going to use his goons unless he has to based on what we’ve seen this season. He mentioned yesterday that teams value those 2 points so much every night in the shortened season, and that could mean some of the career enforcers in the league wind up out of work or in the minors. Darcy Hordichuk could be one of them.

yakupov6

This Nail Yakupov fellow keeps scoring goals! A huge one last night has the young Russian at 6, 4-0-4 so far this season. This despite some long stretches of ‘rookieness’ and several turnovers in bad areas (all of which is to be expected, learning involves mistakes).

NHL ROOKIE SCORING 2012-13

ROOKIE SCORING CAPTURE

Bob McKenzie’s mid-season top 30 is out, worth having a look at if you’re a draft nut. I think its very good that a talent like Pulock is at #15, a clear indicator that this is indeed a deep draft.

Terry Jones has an article out about the Oilers and their draft plans for this year and some nice comments from Stu MacGregor.

• MBS on Eberle in his draft year:  “You always hear teams at the draft say ‘We had him projected a lot higher’. That was definitely the case with Eberle. When we went to the draft that June we had him No. 10.”

I had a coffee with David Staples yesterday (we do that about once a year) and he spent about 5 minutes talking about Lennart Petrell and how much he liked him. Hours later, Petrell went out and had perhaps his best game as an Oiler.

Oilers looked stifling at times on the forecheck last night, those third and fourth lines are really starting to show well. Ryan Smyth had some wheels last night–well, he was faster–and Hartikainen was effective in his role too. A nice little team here, confidence is rising.

About tonight: the Sharks are a very good team and everything is firing smoothly. If the Oilers weren’t my team, I’d say they’re going to get killed. They are my team, so I’ll be happy if the final result is close. Would consider it justice if Khabibulin played tonight, doubt it happens.

Anyone hear anything about Horcoff?

kelly4

Tonight won’t be perfect, but I’ll be interested to see if Taylor Hall can push the river against a very good, veteran club like San Jose. I think he’s about to go super nova.

544 Responses to "OILERS AT SHARKS G7 (12-13) 31.1.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. dohfOs says:

Can’t really trust in what Krueger says. He also stated he would play the best team available every night ‘cuz them points are so important. Then what, Potter is in due to the fact that he need to feel part of the team/he’s been a part of the team/not good if he sits too long. Does not compute.

dohfOs:

Sure. I’ll even buy!

As for Potter, I think they believe he’s the best option. Whitney had apretty good game last night, won a foot race easily. So, straightaway appears fine.

3. BlacqueJacque says:

Well, it was a nice little winning streak.

4. dawgtoy says:

I agree and somewhat disagree with both of you. My thought is Krueger knew Fistric would draw in against the gigantic Sharks, so why change a winning lineup against a somewhat soft Phoenix team? That way Fistric doesn’t play back to back, and is rested and ready to go vs the Sharks . Potter was terrible last night, and I completely agree that Whitney was solid. Petrell is making me a believer, and it would appear that the third line is starting to finally get their legs.

5. bubbasnickey says:

LT, if I’m reading you right, it seems that you think that Hall is (and will be) the all around best player the oilers have. And I couldn’t agree more. Which got me thinking, why wouldn”t they give him the ‘A’? Assuming he’s destined to get the ‘C’ eventually, why wouldn’t they start him off with the ‘A’?

6. DBO says:

Wonder if they made a call to OKC right after the game. So who gets the call? Lander or VV? I would love Lander to have the all nordic 4th line, play Belanger with Smyth and Petrell. Harti gets more PP time.

As for Fistric. No reason whatsoever to not play him tonight. We were soft against the sharks and got killed when we took penalties. Fistric is huge upgrade on Potter in those two areas.

I wonder if Potter is one of those practice all stars? A guy who has all the tools, and in practice he is one of the best players around. In game situation, with less time and more physicality needed he gets exposed as an AHL all star. That could explain the coaching staffs hard on for him.

7. wunderbar says:

-Whitney had a better game last night, didn’t look as lost as he had before. Maybe he just needed to get some games in to get a little more into game shape. We’ll never see him back to the form of that magical half season again, but if he can get himself to a reliable 4-6 guy we’d be well off.

-Petrell was the best player on the ice last night. What world are we living in?

-If Horcoff is hurt we’re kinda screwed. Game tonight and we have a full roster and no extra centers. we’ll likely have to know by 10am our time if he’s going to play tonight, as they’ll almost certainly have to call up a C and the options are limited. Either IR him or send someone like Peckham through waivers so a roster spot can be cleared. Unless of course they do something nutty and decide to play Smyth at C for a game. He’s done it on a few rare occasions.

-If they don’t start Dubnyk tonight after his performance yesterday I’m going to throw something at my TV.

-I have no idea how Potter is a better option than Fistric, and why Petry can’t find his way onto a PP ahead of him.

-Similar to the above Whitney comment, Some of the guys, especially Smyth, who didn’t play during the lockout are starting to look better. More than likely just a case of needing a few games to get legs under them. I guess the preseason isn’t so bad after all?

-I hate 8:30 start times. Going to be a zombie at work tomorrow.

Liked reading this in Jones’ piece:

You might think with the skill players the Oilers have drafted for the top two lines, they’d be concentrating on scouting up some defence, toughness, grit and goalies.

Steve Tambellini, Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish have maintained that our job is to find the best players available. If it turns out we have more pieces at one position than at another, it’s their job to make trades with some other team that may be deficient in the area where we have an abundance of talent or prospects.”

Their draft record shows they don’t really do this past the first round, but at least they do it in the first round.

Also,

2nd game of a B2B against a team that is rested and hotter than the sun.

Won’t end well, I hope they make a game of it.

Thanks for giving me the D pairs for the first periord yesterday behind 64,89,83

Looks like that line was pushing the puck forward and the gifted kids were getting beaten.

It happens.

Great to hear that lines 3 & 4 are playing actual hockey against actual hockey players and not getting their heads beaten in.

Best news in years.

Go Oilers!!

*clap, clap*

9. blackdog says:

My impression of Hall is that he can try and do too much, a letter right now might not help with that.

Team is improving, good to see, and expect the kids to bounce back tonight. Yotes are type of team that chokes the life out of you, no surprise the kids looked awful. Everybody does against those jokers.

10. M Parkatti says:

I dunno, I think that 4th line got their teeth kicked in last night at evens — minus 10, 9, and 7 last night for MPS, Belanger, and Harski, some of the worst corsi levels on the team with the least minutes. Not very encouraging against a team as shallow as that Coyotes one IMO…

11. spoiler says:

I think the criticism of tue kids last night was a bit unfounded.

That’s about as well as I’ve seen anyone play with an unfrozen puck. It wasn’t sitting down for anyone. And if you’re a home team facing wads of talent, what do you do? Level the playing field.

Every time the puck hit the blade of a stick it popped up. Immature kids could have gotten fruustrated and blown the game. Ours battled through and found a way to win in a tight game on the road where they blew the lead.

I’m pretty proud of them this morning. That was a milestone.

12. RMGS says:

Lowetide: As for Potter, I think they believe he’s the best option.

It may be a sign of progress if the major commotion about the D is this one. I think Potter’s 2-year extension courtesy of the GM is playing a significant role in the choice over Fistric. Did Tambellini not make explicit to the media that he expects Potter to become a regular in the rotation?

13. bones says:

Couldn’t believe how ridiculous Nash was at the end of the Coyotes feed. He was actually getting angry, and totally had the wrong end of the stick. From there to Fraser’s “insight” on 1260. Him and Rishaug are certainly cut from the same cloth. Thank god Nielson is so awesome!

14. bookjLe says:

So, maybe Tambellini wasn’t an idiot for signing Petrell?

15. wunderbar says:

Off topic, but the Sens are saying that Spezza is out for at least 2 months. I find that very entertaining.

16. Bar_Qu says:

bookjLe:
    So, maybe Tambellini wasn’t an idiot for signing Petrell?

Next you’re going to be stating I need to make judgements on actual facts instead of my own biased presuppositions!

I, sir, am offended.
    ;-)

I happily eat all the words I said about Petrell yesterday. I still don’t think he’s great with the puck offensively, but he provided the steady defensive play which kept the puck from danger last night. Chipping in the goal was icing on the gravy on the bacon.

I don’t look for a great result from the game tonight, but I do think it will be a better game than the last against the Sharks, and likely a better played game from the team than even last night was.

M Parkatti:
    I dunno, I think that 4th line got their teeth kicked in last night at evens — minus 10, 9, and 7 last night for MPS, Belanger, and Harski, some of the worst corsi levels on the team with the least minutes.Not very encouraging against a team as shallow as that Coyotes one IMO…

Bah!

Didn’t check your site, or see the game, was just going on what others had said.

That being said…….still an upgrade over the flotsam that has populated the Oilers’ 4th since Glencross was there.

18. hunter1909 says:

English soccer’s top team Manchester United in the 2000′s could score winning goals at the end of many of their games(at every level including the Champions League) .

Oilers doing the same thing. Give them a challenge before any period ending and they suddenly smell blood and start focussing their attention which the opposition is unable to follow due to lack of you name it.

Talent? Oilers talent is like Montreal’s used to be for that 20 years when they won everything. Oilers do stuff that Montreal used to do, like cleverly shooting the puck down the boards right as they’re leaving the ice on a line change, and the opposition, already exhausted, still have to chase it in their own end. Purposely ramping up the pressure to a high tempo in the last minute of every period, when the opposition is probably daydreaming, just a little. The point is, this team is poised to become great. In a hurry.

Oilers fans now have the best entertainment value in hockey, or nearly anywhere else for the next 5-7 years.

And the Flames? They hope to rise 6 places up the standings lol.

19. raventalon40 says:

Is it too early to start asking which teams probably won’t make the playoffs?

We should start shopping for 4th line role players now, although if we’re big fish hunting I prefer guys who can play on any line, which helps us roll 4 lines.

Brouwer, Ward, Upshall, Umberger?

Although Ward and Umberger probably will have high asking prices.

20. Bruce McCurdy says:

RMGS: I think Potter’s 2-year extension courtesy of the GM is playing a significant role in the choice over Fistric.

I’m pretty sure Tambellini doesn’t care if the minor league vet he signed on the cheap or the third-pairing guy he got for a song is actually playing, as long as he is playing OK.

Potter does look OK for stretches, but when disaster strikes, it strikes hard. Last year he took out Whitney and stepped on Hall’s face, and I seem to recall there were one or two more accidental-type catastrophes. Then last night we saw that ridiculous sequence where Potter decides to pinch for offence with 90 seconds left and a 1-0 lead, his stick explodes and the sequence ends with Gagner in the box and Horcoff in the quiet room because they had to haul ass to cover for him. Oh, except it didn’t end there, because Potter’s lame-ass clearing pass on the suibsequent PK went right to the Coyotes and from there, to the back of our net. I was pissed enough that I wanted the guy waived during the third intermssion.

So far Krueger has treated Potter-Fistric as classic 6-7 duo, has changed up after each Oilers loss and stayed with the status quo after each win. I expect that will change tonight, although it is also distinctly possible that both will be in the line-up if Horcoff needs a night off. Better 7 D than Hordichuk.

21. denny33 says:

Missed most of the game last night but I agree with what others have said about Smyth. He might be getting his legs going. Smyth definitley had more jump and credit to Petrell for finishing and scoring and Even strength goal.

I would be remiss if I did not point out that Alex Bolduc was the Coyotes 2nd line centre and Paul Bisssonette was their 3rd line left winger. With injuries, there is not much up front for the Coyotes.

We actually scored an even strength goal last night, which is good. Just not sure how much we can draw from facing that lineup.

Tonight will be a test as to how our forwards can play – Even Strength – against the bigger San Jose Sharks. Also, I would like to see a defenceman come within 7 feet of Patrick Marleau tonight.

22. Ryan says:

Cue DSF with “the Oilers should have drafted Galchenyuk over Yakupov?”

Seriously though, I haven’t watched Montreal play this season. How does he look FPB?

23. Ryan says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Bruce being on the official Oilers blogger stats consult team is the closest thing we have to an Oilers Insider here. :P

24. hunter1909 says:

Ryan,

Bruce could get hit over the head with a 10 foot iron bus stop and still know more than anyone else in here.

25. Ducey says:

Re Potter:

Rel Corsi 12-13

Baby Schultz 17.2
    FISTric 8.0
    Potter 3.8
    The Original Schultz 2.9
    Whitney -2.9
    Petry -12.2
    Smid -16.6

26. FPB94 says:

It will be a very deep draft indeed.

The fact that there’s no PPG guy near the top 10 is always a good sign.

Gotta believe those 2 QJMHL behemoths out of Val D’or and Rimouski will be reached for.

Lazar and Dickinson have nothing to do there.

27. Maggie the Monkey says:

Does anyone know how much Petrell played at center in Finland? Might he be an option to fill in there on the 4th line with the Oil? On both Hockey Database and Hockey’s Future he’s listed as a center – I can’t help but wonder if this versatility could be of use. He’s also bigger than I had previously realized at 6’3″.

ps: Why is it standard to spell centre as “center”, even in Canada? Who’s bloody game is this, anyway??

28. raventalon40 says:

Maggie the Monkey:

ps: Why is it standard to spell centre as “center”, even in Canada?Who’s bloody game is this, anyway??

I always thought of “centre” as a place and “center” as defined as the middle of something. Dunno if that’s even right but it’s what I’ve always gone by.

Medical Centre
    Centering a line between Smyth and Jones!

29. Maggie the Monkey says:

raventalon40,

I’m fairly certain that it’s an American vs British/Canadian issue, with the Yanks choosing to misspell it as “center”. If I’m right, and both spellings have the same meaning, it’s odd that even on Canadian sites it trends towards the American spelling.

30. bookjLe says:

Centre vs Center

It appears to me that Centre = gathering place and Center = middle is used somewhat in practice, but is not ‘official’ in Canada.

In the UK centre is the standard spelling for both meanings.

In the USA Center is the standard spelling for both meanings, but some avant-garde places like discount shopping malls have have co-opted the British ‘Centre’ to mean a place, thus the use of the word is growing in the USA with the ‘gathering place’ meaning.

In Canada, the appropriate spelling for both uses is centre, however, being so influenced by the USA culturally, center is very common, so much so that we seem to have adopted the use of center= middle and centre=place in much of English Canada.

Like most of the American vs British spellings, I suggest we take the typical liberal Canadaian way and just accept either.

My feelings on Gagnre, Gagener, Gagnar, and Gagnr are not so generous.

31. FPB94 says:

I’m pretty much on the ”this is a non-issue” side of the affair here.

32. bookjLe says:

Maggie the Monkey:
    raventalon40,

I’m fairly certain that it’s an American vs British/Canadian issue, with the Yanks choosing to misspell it as “center”.If I’m right, and both spellings have the same meaning, it’s odd that even on Canadian sites it trends towards the American spelling.

I wouldn’t call it a misspelling. As I understand it (and that is not well) American spellings were part of the American effort (led by Webster I think) to rationalize the English language. We benefit a great deal from this in Canada as we speak a language where we tend to pronounce about 90-100% of the letters in a word, unlike the Brits who ramble on without pronouncing about 50% of each word. Sometimes when I watch British shows, I need to have cc on to understand what they are saying.

With that said, I like our U’s in colour and honour, etc…

33. Maggie the Monkey says:

bookjLe,
    FPB94,

I didn’t mean “misspell” literally, rather as a weak jab at the Yanks. With this said, I’m mostly with FPB94 on this as a non-issue.

Also, my other question stands: does anyone know about Petrell’s experience at centre? I’ve felt for a while that the team has been lacking an NHL caliber player with strong defensive abilities who can play both wing and down the middle. Might he already be on the roster?

34. bones says:

Is the “rambling” you’re hearing not just certain dialects? If so, we ramble a lot round my way.
    It’s refreshing to hear Canadians say “couldn’t care less”. “Could care less” drives me mental.

35. RENNAVATE says:

raventalon40,

“Center” is the American spelling, and “centre” is Canadian/British.

36. BlacqueJacque says:

I know this blog hates goons and I myself have mixed feelings on them, but I can’t help but think that Biznasty needed a tune-up yesterday after headhunting for Schultz yesterday. The refs were letting him take runs at Schultz’s head two, three seconds after junior dished the puck.

37. jonrmcleod says:

RENNAVATE,

You are correct.

38. delooper says:

I always spell centre centre. Center is not a word, it is a mis-spelling even on my most optimistic and non-judgemental days.

39. jonrmcleod says:

delooper,

I don’t want to be judgmental, but I prefer “judgmental” rather than “judgemental.”

40. ASkoreyko says:

BlacqueJacque:
    I know this blog hates goons and I myself have mixed feelings on them, but I can’t help but think that Biznasty needed a tune-up yesterday after headhunting for Schultz yesterday.The refs were letting him take runs at Schultz’s head two, three seconds after junior dished the puck.

The thing with that though is if Biznasty (I feel dirty typing that) alters his game because someone like Fistric challenged him he would see his playing time reduced. Guys like that know their role and what they have to do to be effective and gain ice-time. Having Fistric fight him might make us feel better about Justin getting run but I question how effective it would actually be in giving him more space.

Look at what happened after Smid fought Nolan. Sure Nolan had to “pay the price” but from what I saw it didn’t change his game, he can’t afford to play any other way if he wants to stay in the NHL.

Think of when Hordichuk plays (as rare as that is), if he ever stopped playing his game because a goon challenged him he would be in the press box permanently. These guys know what they need to bring and the price that comes along with it.

41. CrazyCoach says:

dohfOs: When I finally get my ass of to Edmonton. Will you have a coffee with me too? Hrhr..

Will you have a coffee with me next time I go visit my family in Heby?

42. spoiler says:

I’m not sure why we have all this speculation about moving a roster player from wing to centre for the night. Surely a person can get from anywhere in the US to Cali the same day.

43. prairieschooner says:

Spoiler

It may depend on which gathering place they are leaving from

44. wunderbar says:

spoiler,

Because the roster is full. For them to call up a player they either have to send another player down or IR someone. IR is 7 days minimum so lets say Horc is iffy for tonight but will probably be OK for Saturday you don’t want to IR him for a week. So take IR out and who can you send down? all the D need waivers, can’t really send down a forward as that defeats the purpose of needing a forward to play.

45. wheatnoil says:

Lander is called up, as per Oilers twitter.

46. wheatnoil says:

Paajarvi sent down.

47. wunderbar says:

Here it is, from Principe:

Ralph Krueger says Anton Lander called up. Shawn Horcoff strained neck is day to day. Magnus Paajarvi gets sent down.

48. FPB94 says:

At the same time we don’t say Canadian Tyre do we?

49. wordbird says:

So Belanger up to 3rd, Lander on the 4th? Shitty that Magnus has to be sent down.

50. FPB94 says:

Or Hordichuk?

51. khildahl says:

wordbird:

Had to be either him or Hartikainen, I guess?

52. geowal says:

This has to be the only hockey blog, and one of very few period, which has long discussions about American vs British spelling. Awesome. Most websites’ comments sections are barely readable shorthand/misused homonyms/incoherent garbage.

Now I know there’s going to be some kind of mistake above as the universe’s retribution for pointing it out.

53. wheatnoil says:

khildahl,

Or Justin Schultz… I kid, I kid!

54. wheatnoil says:

What would be a real kick in the teeth to Hordichuk would be if Kreuger dressed 7 defensemen tonight AND put Lander in, instead of Hordichuk. Actually, I’d very much prefer that. If Hordichuk is only going to play 2 minutes anyways, they might as well have a 7th D.

55. B S says:

Fistric better be in, We have the same refs from last night (different linesmen), if they put the whistles away again a little meanness could go a long way.

I suppose Magnus is the expendable one on the roster (in terms of waiver and IR conditions), and It could be a good opportunity for Lander to learn from the big boys, but I think we’re about to find out how valuable Horcoff is to this team.

Prediction: penalties are 6-2 against the Oilers, 4-1 shellacking by the Sharks (dominate the Oilers in possession and zone time, score could have been wors), as Edmonton ends up spending most of the game in their own zone and never get their PP going, but hold the pieces together long enough keep it close into the third.

56. B S says:

wheatnoil,

Can Hordichuck win faceoffs?

57. wheatnoil says:

B S:
    wheatnoil,

Can Hordichuck win faceoffs?

He’s almost as good as Nugent-Hopkins!

58. RMGS says:

wheatnoil:

7D and double-shifting Hall beats Hordichuk in the line-up ALWAYS.

59. Ryan says:

FPB94:
    It will be a very deep draft indeed.

The fact that there’s no PPG guy near the top 10 is always a good sign.

Lazar and Dickinson have nothing to do there.

Yeah, but more importantly how does galchenyuk look?

I’m asking you as our Montreal source.

60. FPB94 says:

Ryan,

Pretty swell. He’s a smooth skater/passer with a good shot, pretty strong, doesn’t shy away from contact.

He’s a complete package.

61. B S says:

wheatnoil,

and almost as tough.

62. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Isn’t Teddy on his way back soon? Seems they have to make a decision on risking either him or Potter to waivers at some point of the season. I’d rather they give Potter a few starts before making that decision even if Fistric is clearly better.

That said, Potter sure didn’t do himself any favours last game.

63. Lucinius says:

Shitty that MPS had to get sent down. I understand the reasoning, but, ugh. Sucks to lose Horcoff for a game, or more. Be interesting to see how Lander does, but I expect he’ll look poor, as will Harski, due to no MPS, as he’s the one that drives the play up the ice on that line, imo.

Fistric needs to be in for Potter (ideally one of them plays forward, too, but I wager Hordichuk gets in, which is shitty).

I’d put Khabbi in net tonight. Back to back game, almost a guaranteed loss.. don’t waste Dubnyk on it.

64. bookjLe says:

MPS probably isn’t even going to board a plane. They need to send someone down for numbers as they don’t want to put Horc on IR, so he gets ‘sent down’, but stays in the press box likely.

65. CrazyCoach says:

Bruce McCurdy: Oh, except it didn’t end there, because Potter’s lame-ass clearing pass on the suibsequent PK went right to the Coyotes and from there, to the back of our net. I was pissed enough that I wanted the guy waived during the third intermssion.

I couldn’t believe how far out of position he was when the tying goal went in the net. Poor decision making at best. Simple Pee Wee hockey concept:
    Pressure when: You can see the opponents numbers on their back or sleeves, the puck carrier has poor possession, or you outnumber the opposition.
    Contain when: You can clearly see the opponents crest, the opponent has good control of the puck, or when you are outnumbered!

What is so hard about that? I can’t believe Krueger is playing him as much as he is. It baffles the mind.

66. BONVIE says:

RMGS: 7D and double-shifting Hall beats Hordichuk in the line-up ALWAYS.

Il second that.

67. rickithebear says:

Language:
    Communication of thoughts and feelings through a system of arbitrary signals, such as voice sounds, gestures, or written symbols, often contrasted with dialect.

Dialect:
    A variety of language that with other varieties constitutes a single language of which no single variety is standard.

Pidgin:
    A simplified form of speech that is usually a mixture of two or more languages, has a rudimentary grammar and vocabulary, is used for communication between groups speaking different languages,. Also called contact language.

Spelling:
    the act or process of writing words by using the letters conventionally accepted for their formation;

On here we attempt to convey ideas about a common theme (hockey).
    We use the most complex pidgin (english) in the world.
    Using various dialects with extensive variance in standard.
    Sometimes a dialect of one.

So I do not give a PHACK about spelling.
    Or did your perspective of misspelling.
    Cause confusion of my point.

68. rickithebear says:

Go Oilers!

69. justDOit says:

wheatnoil:
    khildahl,

Or Justin Schultz… I kid, I kid!

I’d rather see them cut 1″ off of J Schultz’s stick and put him at centere, than send him down.

70. BONVIE says:

CrazyCoach: I couldn’t believe how far out of position he was when the tying goal went in the net.Poor decision making at best.Simple Pee Wee hockey concept:
    Pressure when:You can see the opponents numbers on their back or sleeves, the puck carrier has poor possession, or you outnumber the opposition.
    Contain when:You can clearly see the opponents crest, the opponent has good control of the puck, or when you are outnumbered!

What is so hard about that?I can’t believe Krueger is playing him as much as he is.It baffles the mind.

I have witnessed the veteran D at various times pressure either behind the net or in the corners this season leaving outmanned situations in front of the net leading me to wonder, is it instruction they are receiving from the coach.

I think it was two years ago when their PK was atrocious and appeared to be playing some nutty system other than the box on the PK, and somebody on one of the Oilers Blogs I like to visit did a piece on it. in dissecting their PK that was failing so miserable they were constantly pressuring (Chasing) the puck and constantly rotating positions, and basically were seldom in a box formation leading to other teams scoring at will.

For me its not that I don’t like Potter but if the coach feels Whitney cannot be counted on to be on the ice in important defesnive situations like the one last night 1-0 the goalie pulled and the Oilers down 6-4, then they need to dress a defensive Defenseman such as Peckham or Fistric. I think it should be quite clear from Potter’s NHL track record that he is not that type of D-man.

I seen some posters suggest that one of these guys could play some 4th line forward minutes to be able to keep 7 D. I think Potter’s skating would make him a good option of being able to play the odd shift on a 4th line. On the other side of that coin double shifting a player off the top two lines to play a 40 second shift would also make sense.

71. Halfwise says:

On the all-important matter of Centre vs Center, the English were uncharacteristically influenced by the French in their choice of how to spell things, just as with the U in colour. But arguing about whose brand of English spelling makes sense and whose brand doesn’t is like debating which end of the turd is cleaner.

Could be worse, of course. Take 3 vowels, E, A and U. Put them together. Obviously, the word they form must be pronounced like one of the vowels that you didn’t use. French is easy!

72. hunter1909 says:

BlacqueJacque: I know this blog hates goons

Just because some who post in here can’t seem to wait until hockey’s been sufficiently neutered to the point where they can abolish the refs, and women are skating alongside men, doesn’t mean shite.

These types use hockey, for lack of anything better to further their personal moralising tendencies and preferences which invariably stems from their collective/individual feelings of frustration. That’s all.

73. BONVIE says:

Lucinius:

I was a bit disappointed not to see VV get the call as he fits the 4th line center bill, and has the size and strength to grind out a good dump and chase/ cycle shift. He is also a good faceoff man.

MPS looks like he is on the verge of finally playing the game the coaching staff has been telling him to for the last two seasons, I think he took a step back lastnight as he was turning the puck over at the other teams blue line, instead of dumping it in.

74. FPB94 says:

Idk What’s all that consideration with VandeVelde.

Dude can’t play 4th line in the AHL. He’s like Lennart Petrell X2 weaker.

75. DBO says:

Sucks for MPS. Wanted to see the Nordic line for sure. Now it’ll be Lander with Harti and Hordi. Oh lordy.

So does Hordichuk draw in or do they go with 7 D? And who starts? Sorry, haven’t looked at thread much.

76. CrazyCoach says:

BONVIE: in dissecting their PK that was failing so miserable they were constantly pressuring (Chasing) the puck and constantly rotating positions, and basically were seldom in a box formation leading to other teams scoring at will.

IT all boils down to what you want/believe in/teach as a PK system as a coach. Some coaches believe in an agressive box, so they look for guys who are fast and agile, others play a diamond shape to take away the shots from the point but leave you somewhat vulnerable on the side boards. Others teach a passive box which allows all the passing on one side of the ice, but looks to keep the puck to one side of the ice with no cross-ice passes allowed.

No matter what the system though, one should always be careful in being too agressive in the corners or behind the net. I hate to compliment them, but the Canucks and particularly the Sedins are very good at utilizing the cycle behind the net which is unorthodox compared to most cycles which happen in corners or along the boards near the hashmarks. Once you chase them behind the net, you’ve created an outnumber situation in the slot area or the points.

Anyway, I’m rambling, but I’ve yet to figure out exactly what the Oilers PK system is other than chaotic. Krueger will get everyone on the same page eventually, but he needs to find what page is going to work best.

And keep Potter on the bench during the PK.

77. DBO says:

Just looked around. So Petrell is also game time decision, so may dress 7 D, and have a 4th line of Lander with hordichuk along with one of the forwards double shifting. Fuck it, I would still only let Hordichuk run for 2 mins, and have Lander play the PK and run with whichever two wingers were rolling. Could be interesting. Or a complete disaster. Send out the Wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

78. FPB94 says:

Roll 3 lines and screw your 4th. Not like having your better players have more iceime’s going to lead to the nether realms

79. spoiler says:

wunderbar:
    Here it is, from Principe:

See… That was easy.

80. sliderule says:

My view of the guys last night

Decent crowd but I would say 40 percent oiler fans .Lots of oiler sweaters.

RNH ,Hall,Eberle. Control the play but not too many shots.Too fancy last night.Ebs mishandled the puck a lotThey need to find a way to turn their skill into shots on goal.

Gagner ,Yakupov, Hemsky I know Gagner took a couple of penalties but I liked his game.Sent Hemsky in on a couple of rushes that were dangerous.I think the oil players are giving Yak the treatment as in warmup Smid and Whitney wouldn’t feed him the puck to go in on net.The restrained celebration is his attempt to fit in.Yak showed great speed and lateral movement in a couple of rushes but I think Ralph needs to tell Hemsky maybe look for Yak.Right now he has blinders on.

Horcoff Smyth Petrell I know everybody is raving about Petrell but Horcoff was the best player on this line by far.I don’t go to many games anymore but the difference from seeing the whole play rather than what Tv gives you was brought back to me in spades.I hope Horc is not put for too long

Belanger Paajarvi Hartikainen. MPS was sent down and I can see why.Skates miles but no anticipation so doesn’t do anything.Hartikainen worked hard against a tough Coyote team
    Belanger ,meh

Schultz Schultz.The older not as polished as I thought.The younger got hammered but took it and made a lot of good passes.Some of which turned into icing because MPS bailed out

Potter ,Whitney .Whitney was more mobile than I saw on TV and I liked his game.Potter made one bad pinch and one brutal bad pass but Coyotes trap can get you

Smid Petry they played a safe non event game.

Dubnyk
    Played very well. Kept his position and limited rebounds

Sorry for long post but thought you would like a view from rink.

Lander up but his partner in crime gets sent down. Oilers don’t have their best lineup tonight, I think that’s the first time we can say that this season.

How many players outside the heart of the cluster could they have sent down today without waiting waivers? Hartikainen, Paajarvi, that might be it.

82. bookjLe says:

I think that’s it LT. Pretty much a numbers game and with MPS being smaller than Hartikainen, he is the gets short straw.

83. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear,

The problem isn’t spelling for spelling’s sake, Ricki; the problem is that you’re broadly incapable of written firetruck. Although as pure poetry, it’s beautiful.

84. "Steve Smith" says:

Also, I’m predicting a 4-3 Oilers’ win tonight. Hordichuk scores one.

Oh, and its center because the hockey cards I bought as a kid said center. So there.

86. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Could they have put Peckham on the IR, or sent him to OKC for “conditioning”, kept magnus and brought up Lander…. or VDV?

No, even on conditioning stint it is a roster spot.

88. sliderule says:

Paajarvi was sent down because he is playing with eggs in his pants and they are not getting broken.

The oil have to trade him before the rest of league figures him out.Right now he is worth something but next year he will be waived and picked up for a song

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

No, even on conditioning stint it is a roster spot.

could they have said Hordichuk has disappeared?

90. khildahl says:

My predictions are never right, so I might as well go fully-implausible on them. We are talking about the oilers here, so you never know.

1. Fistric hits Couture into next week. Gagner somehow gets an interference penalty for it.
    2. Dubnyk channels Roloson and Yakupov and bats the puck out of the defensive zone, scoring on Niemi (at evens, no less)
    3. Oilers win 3-0.

91. spoiler says:

sliderule:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict this prediction won’t come true.

Did I spell limb properly? Some people go with limn.

Romulus Apotheosis: could they have said Hordichuk has disappeared?

It really is distressing. I’ve never had a problem with Hordichuk, as these players go he’s not the worst. The problem comes in actually using a roster spot on him. Old baseball men used to have THREE utility infielders clogging up the roster and they’d rob the back end of their pitching staff or the number of pinch hitters.

Or two backup catchers. One guy could hit but not catch, the other guy could catch but couldn’t hit the ocean.

Man.

93. justDOit says:

Halfwise:
    On the all-important matter of Centre vs Center, the English were uncharacteristically influenced by the French in their choice of how to spell things, just as with the U in colour.But arguing about whose brand of English spelling makes sense and whose brand doesn’t is like debating which end of the turd is cleaner.

Could be worse, of course. Take 3 vowels, E, A and U. Put them together. Obviously, the word they form must be pronounced like one of the vowels that you didn’t use.French is easy!

Maybe it should be spelled centeaur?

I use center more than centre, mostly because my MS Word and browser spell-check has a US dictionary, and I hate squiggly lines under my words.

My pet peeve in the current state of our language, is how every meteorologist, news anchor and weather girl pronounces the word ‘temperature’. Pretty much 100% of the time they say ‘temp-a-chur’, when it’s pronounced ‘tem-per-uh-cher’. Arrgh!

94. justDOit says:

FPB94:

95. khildahl says:

justDOit: Maybe it should be spelled centeaur?

Irregardless of all that most people could care less. Don’t you have anything better to do with you’re time then complain about there spelling and grandma?

(I feel dirty for typing that and kind of want to punch myself in the face)

96. Romulus Apotheosis says:

well on ice he’s a massive upgrade on some of these folks, that’s true.

off ice he seems like a genuinely awesome character… the part of the Oil Change episode where he held of the team picture and said he needed it to prove to his grandkids he played with future champions… wow… that’s a tough moment to watch as a human… not overly emotional or anything… but still… he’s a guy that loves hockey and enjoys life, I hold nothing against that or him

but keep him away from the ice.

97. justDOit says:

khildahl,

You had me at irregardless.

98. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit: This is the third game of 4 in 6 days, and the second of a back to back pair. I don’t think coach K would approve of running three lines tonight.

I gather they roll 4 but rotate 16′s spot through the lineup just like against Cal.

(someone probably already said this… I skimmed alright!)

99. khildahl says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    (someone probably already said this… I skimmed alright!)

“Lack of effort! Lazy! Lackadaisical! European!”

100. pboy says:

Anyone know what channel the game is on tonight? I have shaw but for some reason it looks like they are picking the game up in progress.

101. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’m going to chow down on 5 grams of mushrooms, sit in a dark room and try to channel all the inflammation out of Petrell’s foot for the next two hours.

If you see him taking the warm up skate, you can thank me.

102. justDOit says:

khildahl: “Lack of effort! Lazy! Lackadaisical! European!”

may as well throw bad body language in there too!

Whenever I see that ‘eggs in pockets’ line I remember poor Inge Hammarstrom

Hammarstrom went on to scout for the Flyers and is credited with pushing for them to take Peter Forsberg. Fucking Harold.

104. khildahl says:

justDOit: may as well throw bad body language in there too!

Last on the blog for practice, first off after.

105. "Steve Smith" says:

Ballard said he finds it difficult “taking money from the people of Toronto…”

Which is especially damning, considering how well-practiced he was at it.

106. geowal says:

pboy,

Sportsnet will be joining it in progress at ~930 but on centre ice (today is the last day of the freebie) there’s a channel showing it starting at 830. SOOOO… as long as there isn’t any blackout nonsense should hopefully be able to watch it there if your television machine can handle that part of the dial :)

107. khildahl says:

I took a gander at the other article on that same page. It talks about rookie Mike Marson being only the second black player in the league. In 1974. Things have come a long way.

108. khildahl says:

geowal:
    pboy,

Sportsnet will be joining it in progress at ~930 but on centre ice (today is the last day of the freebie) there’s a channel showing it starting at 830.SOOOO… as long as there isn’t any blackout nonsense should hopefully be able to watch it there if your television machine can handle that part of the dial

I heard the whole game should be available on Sportsnet Oilers. My Telus guide says no, but I don’t know that I trust it.

EDIT: The SN website says it’s true. Starts at 8:30 on SN Oilers.

109. Romulus Apotheosis says:

justDOit:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

If you see him taking the warm up skate, you can thank me.

Petrell too… crap. just when I was getting to like him too…

It’s like Potter last year all over again!

110. stevezie says:

justDOit:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

If you see him taking the warm up skate, you can thank me.

I’m going to do something similar after the game but instead of channeling healing to Petrell I’m going to listen to Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness.
    I can’t think of any reason for you to thank me, but you’re welcome.

"Steve Smith":

Which is especially damning, considering how well-practiced he was at it.

112. "Steve Smith" says:

Lowetide: My upbringing teaches me never to use the ‘c’ word (men my age haven’t heard it that often, let alone saying it) but he was one through and through.

113. icecastles says:

Centre versus Center

Some of you were close, none of you were exactly correct.

In the United States, “center” is used exclusively.
    In Great Britain it is “centre”.

In Canada, usage is context-dependant. If you are referring the the middle point of a space, it is “centre”. If you are referring to a building such as a mall or recreational complex, it is “center”.

Source: Oxford Canadian English Dictionary.

When I was teaching writing skills and technique for the University of Manitoba, I was continually dumbfounded by how many English teachers and professors -at every level of the education system- simply guessed at what the rules of English were and put them forward to their students as fact, without ever actually checking a legitimate source.

Think of them as the “saw-him-good” crowd of the teaching world.

114. pboy says:

khildahl: I heard the whole game should be available on Sportsnet Oilers.My Telus guide says no, but I don’t know that I trust it.

EDIT: The SN website says it’s true.Starts at 8:30 on SN Oilers.

You’re a good man.

Stupid Question #2: What Channel is SN Oilers?

Thanks in advance!

I repeat: the hockey cards of my childhood trump all! Oxford Schmoxford!

116. khildahl says:

pboy,
    678 on Telus. Not sure about Shaw.

117. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“Steve Smith”: I’m somewhat younger than you, however, so I’ll come right out and say it: the man was a churl.

cut-throat? cad? card? conniver? cur? cheat? caitiff? coward? craven?

118. icecastles says:

khildahl,

412 on Shaw.

119. pboy says:

Thanks guys.

120. BlacqueJacque says:

icecastles:
    khildahl,

412 on Shaw.

That’s “Galaxie Nostalgia” on my Shaw =/

121. icecastles says:

BlacqueJacque,

I’m on Shaw Starchoice (digital satellite)… suppose that makes a difference.

Damnit, I want Galaxie Nostalgia now! I bet the show the old Battlestar Galactica.

122. BlacqueJacque says:

It’s a crappy music channel lol.

123. Kris11 says:

cut-throat? cad? card? conniver? cur? cheat? caitiff? coward? craven?

I believe the horrible, cruel slur that starts with “c” that LT was thinking of was….

“Calgarian”

124. icecastles says:

Aha, here we go. Channel number listings for Sportsnet Oilers.

Television Provider SD HD

TELUS Optik TV 107 678

BELL TV 437 1437

SHAW Cable 320 301

SHAW Direct Classic 412 451

SHAW Direct Advanced 107 395

Cable TV of Camrose 116 246

Cable TV of Slave Lake 450 452

Access Communications 238 538

Eastlink 75 706

125. Kris11 says:

Or possibly (and forgive me for typing it): “Canuck’s fan”

126. Matt.N says:

BlacqueJacque: That’s “Galaxie Nostalgia” on my Shaw =/

Feel the nostalgia in the powerful lyrics and unforgettable melodies of the chanson Francaise of the fifties, sixties and seventies, with legendary songwriters like Jaques Brel, Robert Charlebois, Dalida, Joe Dassin, Monique Leyrac and more.

127. Matt.N says:

That was fun to type while listening to the channel.

128. Masamax says:

icecastles:
    Centre versus Center

Some of you were close, none of you were exactly correct.

In the United States, “center” is used exclusively.
    In Great Britain it is “centre”.

Source: Oxford Canadian English Dictionary.

Think of them as the “saw-him-good” crowd of the teaching world.

I don’t mean to disagree with you completely, but I think it is important to note that simply because the OED spells something a certain way does not make it some sort of hard and fast rule. You mention the ‘rules’ of English that some teachers put forward without understanding, and I can’t disagree. On the other hand, many rules in English are stylistic rather than grammatical or spelling ones. For example, there are plenty of instances in Canada where “centre” is used to denote a location, and that is perfectly correct since most dictionaries will simply list both words as interchangeable.

The other example would be ‘ after words that end in s to add the possessive. Some style manuals suggest that it is only to be used for words that are plural, so “Students’ work was sloppy” would be correct, while “Hans’ work was sloppy” (referring to a child named Hans, not the Solo variety). I do believe the Chicago and MLA both indicate this last time I checked. So in this case, it would be “Hans’s”. This has the benefit of providing clarity for the reader that we are not talking about multiple people named Han (although presumably context in the passage would provide that anyways) On the other hand, the AP manual of style suggests eliminating the s for all words that end in s, regardless of whether they are plural, which would make Hans’ correct.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the ‘rules’ of English are not nearly as clear as some would have us believe, and in all honesty, a guess is often the right answer for these rules. I think the important thing to consider is that explaining the above paragraphs to my students actually does them more harm than good much of the time. It’s helpful to have structure, and then once you start to explore the language, you realize what makes it so good: it is entirely arbitrary, insane, and bizarre, which is part of what makes it so much fun to write in.

129. "Steve Smith" says:

Masamax,

I am a linguistic descriptivist in my head but a linguistic prescriptivist in my heart.

(This is exactly the sort of internal tension that has defined literature’s greatest characters.)

130. Matt.N says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Masamax,

I believe that I am contractually bound to work in a “cunning linguist” reference right at this point.

131. icecastles says:

Masamax: Two examples that I particularly enjoy. What is the plural of octopus? Most people would say Octopi. They would be correct. Others would say octopuses. They would also be correct. Others might say octopodes. They would be MOST correct, since octopus is a Greek word. People use octopi because they assume it is a Latin noun and thus use Latin pluralization. In reality, you can do all three and still be correct.

No. The plural of “octopus” is “octopussy”. You’re are rong.

132. icecastles says:

Now back to hockey.

Toronto comes back against Washington, wins 3-2 in regulation. Capitals now have one win in their first seven games. Nasty.

133. Lois Lowe says:

The rules of English are not as important as the 7th Edition McGill citation rules. Those ones *really* matter.

134. speeds says:

I wonder if this situation, where they have to send down Paajarvi to recall Lander, might lead them to consider waiving Hordichuk just to gain the roster flexibility in the future, to avoid this kind of situation.

If they waive Hordichuk now, and he clears, they can send him down without worrying about waivers again for 30 days. If they lose him, well, that’s the way it goes, if he clears, they can keep him on the roster and use him however they see fit, but would be able to send him down if another situation like this pops up.

in the spring, I had a conversation about Adam Oates as a possible coach for the Oilers. My thought was ‘no thanks, we need an experienced coach.’ This leads me to believe that I’m very wise and all should head to the center to lavish gifts upon me.

No eggs in pockets though. Cucumber was the actual word btw. Cucumber.

136. Rebilled says:

Speaking of centaurs, Notwen is Newton spelled backwards.

4-3 Oilers. Goals by the Mask of Vulcan, Screetus, Daedalus, and the Hydra.

Oilympia!

speeds:

If they waive Hordichuk now, and he clears, they can send him down without worrying about waivers again for 30 days.If they lose him, well, that’s the way it goes, if he clears, they can keep him on the roster and use him however they see fit, but would be able to send him down if another situation like this pops up.

It’s the right thing to do. Having said that, its been the right thing to do since 1990.

138. Masamax says:

“Steve Smith”,

I think that is necessity for any good lawyer. Although it does make me wonder how you survived at The Gateway for so long considering the, shall we say, inconsistent use of style that runs rampant.

And, Icecastles, you are correct, but only in the context of a great set of gams. I don’t have a source for that one though.

139. Bruce McCurdy says:

bookjLe: I wouldn’t call it a misspelling. As I understand it (and that is not well) American spellings were part of the American effort (led by Webster I think) to rationalize the English language.

140. BlacqueJacque says:

Found it on 302 on Shaw. Sportsnet One.

Weird thing is, the channel was showing as unavailable even though I knew I’d had the sports package. Quick call resolved that.

141. BlacqueJacque says:

Well, before the game starts, anyone feel like talking NHL in general?

142. Captain Happy says:

Bruce McCurdy: So how does this square with the Yanks being the last damn civilization on Earth that clings to the archaic, obsolete Imperial measurement system? We got the rest of the world figuring 10 * 10 * 10 and they’re still going “12 inches in a foot & 3 feet in a yard and 5½ yards in a rod and 40 rods in a furlong and 8 furlongs in a mile”. You would have thought that War of Independence would have rid them of that shit.

If only that were true.

Canada ended up with a twisted amalgam of both systems/

How tall is Sam Gagner anyway?

BlacqueJacque:
    Well, before the game starts, anyone feel like talking NHL in general?

Like, say, when Washington starts to panic?Second-worst goal differential in the league, most goals allowed (25 in 7 games), Ovechkin scored just his second goal in a losing effort vs the Leafs, and having lost a couple of important free agents?Factor in OV’s giant contract and the difficulty of building a team around it and…

I think they do something two weeks after Snider sacrifices someone in Philly. Which should be in 3….2….1….

144. Masamax says:

Actually, Imperial is still used primarily because of the close integration with the US supply chain. Of course, imperial units still have some advantages: they are easy units in convenient sizes. cm/mm are too small for most tasks, while metres are too long (measurement wise). Even in the UK they still make a lot of weight measurements in stone. Three feet is easier to ‘guesstimate’ than 0.8m, at least to some people. I am not suggesting we start measuring in furlongs but while metric is good for science, that exactness doesn’t exactly mean it is necessary in day to day life.

I mean, who among us really measures ourselves in kg or metres? For some reason talking about a hockey player with words like “He is 0.2m shorter than average. He’ll never make it in this league” seems even more ridiculous, but that’s just me.

145. Bar_Qu says:

While I have thoroughly enjoyed the “centre” vs “centre” debate, being a philological pedant at heart, the simple fact of the matter is spelling rules are currently devolving into a mish-mash of ‘whatever’.

If I can’t get an eleven yr old to spell vocab without an ‘e’ or science with one (let alone the second s) finer points of spelling are simply becoming archaic and quaint.

It’s the new Great Vowel Shift, but this time in the area of everyone getting to put all the letters in any damned order they want.

Goilers

146. BlacqueJacque says:

One good thing that could come out of the metric system is the abandoning of the retarded 5’11/6’0 gap.

“Oh, you’re 5’11, you’re small for a hockey player”
    “Six-footer eh? That’s a BIG BODY.”

In the metric context, being 178cm (5’10), 180cm (5’11) or 183cm (6′) suddenly doesn’t matter.

147. Bar_Qu says:

I have no evidence for my claim beyond a general personal despair at what crosses my desk with depressing frequency.

148. crude says:

This is going to be a tough one. Horcoff out for Lander!? Red-hot Lenny Petrell is hurt! And steady Maggie is a victim of bureaucracy?

That’s half our defensive sensibilities on the shelf tonight. Heads up!

149. SK Oiler Fan says:

BlacqueJacque: Well, before the game starts, anyone feel like talking NHL in general?Like, say, when Washington starts to panic? Second-worst goal differential in the league, most goals allowed (25 in 7 games), Ovechkin scored just his second goal in a losing effort vs the Leafs, and having lost a couple of important free agents? Factor in OV’s giant contract and the difficulty of building a team around it and…

Sure, I’ll bite
    McFee is pretty conservative so I wouldn’t expect him to pull a Milbury. On paper they look like a top 6 team in the east. However, they have lost some key free agents and their goaltending hasn’t been as advertised. Mike Green is not the player they signed to that contract – injuries are a bitch and he overachieved at the right time.

They’ve got some interesting Dmen – Always liked Hammer. I’m sure Gene would be over the moon if the Oilers could have 3 Shultzs

I don’t follow the east very close, but I believe they have been a streaky team over the past 3 or 4 years so I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go on a run within the next week or so. The first 2 weeks have been so unpredictable.
    Oh yah – rookie head coach – bound to be incosistant

150. khildahl says:

Masamax: Actually, Imperial is still used primarily because of the close integration with the US supply chain. Of course, imperial units still have some advantages:they are easy units in convenient sizes. cm/mm are too small for most tasks, while metres are too long (measurement wise). Even in the UK they still make a lot of weight measurements in stone. Three feet is easier to ‘guesstimate’ than 0.8m, at least to some people. I am not suggesting we start measuring in furlongs but while metric is good for science, that exactness doesn’t exactly mean it is necessary in day to day life.

I can explain the use of Imperial in one word: Liquor.

151. khildahl says:

Okay, Sportsnet. You can stop replaying the same two ads over and over again and get to the hockey any time now.

152. geowal says:

Is everyone else still seeing an endless sheepdogs soundtrack promo loop on SN-Oilers?

Hordichuk is in. Hope he gets a dumb penalty early, that’ll allow things to open up.

154. khildahl says:

geowal:

Sure am.

155. SK Oiler Fan says:

Avs up 3-2, just hope it’s not a Bettman special in Cowtown

156. Masamax says:

khildahl,

khildahl: I can explain the use of Imperial in one word:Liquor.

Yet a two-six and forty neither contain 26 or 40 ounces. I think we should start calling them twenty-five point three sixers and thirty-eight point five eighters. And another thing. I got a “pint” at a restaurant the other day that was basically a glass of beer. They got away with it by calling it “X restaurant’s pint”. I wonder if that will catch on in other industries. “Lucerne Litre of Milk… 800ml”

157. Rebilled says:

khildahl,

geowal,

Yes, and that first shot of that Octane girl is outstanding.

158. khildahl says:

THERE we go.

159. geowal says:

khildahl,

never so happy to hear Gene’s voice

160. crude says:

Did you catch the Hordichuk segment from the latest Oil Change? I was rather struck by his humility. That being said I am twice as humble as he is and I don’t take up a roster spot.

161. khildahl says:

Rebilled,

Indeed.

162. Bar_Qu says:

I heart Gene

163. khildahl says:

Masamax:
    khildahl,

That would be my last visit to said restaurant.

crude:

165. BlacqueJacque says:

Masamax,

Name the restaurant, so we can shame it!

166. "Steve Smith" says:

“Pint” is probably the most abused word in Canada.

Out in the Maritimes, they had a completely different nomenclature for liquor bottles. A mickey was called a “flask”, but I can’t for the life of me remember what they called a two-six. Can anyone help me out?

As for the game (well, the coverage thereof), what’s-his-face just said “In the NHL, it’s all about second chances”. That doesn’t actually mean anything.

167. icecastles says:

And the funny thing is, their military is entirely metric. You’d think in a country like the USA, that HAS to be a big enough catalyst to make the switch.

Hordichuck in the lineup. Might as well put Rehabbybuilin in net and call this one a loss.

168. SK Oiler Fan says:

Lowetide: I have people who know his people and he is apparently an absolutely fabulous guy and a very nice person. That said, this is hockey.

Nice Saskies them Hordichuks.

169. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”:

Out in the Maritimes, they had a completely different nomenclature for liquor bottles.A mickey was called a “flask”, but I can’t for the life of me remember what they called a two-six.Can anyone help me out?

I’m no maritimer, but I’ve at times referred to two-sixes (or “fifths” to our Southern pals) as “bottles”, “my goddmaned whiskey and don’t you effing touch it!” and “breakfast”.

I think hockey coverage needs a makeover. I’m not talking about placing SABR verbal in there, God knows its ruined baseball. I’m talking about all the color guys being able to speak intelligently. what if Ray Ferraro were just average?

Sharks uni’s are fabulous.

171. khildahl says:

Shots on net? Who are these guys?

Jesus Dubnyk.

173. pboy says:

Nice start for Schultz the Elder and Dubnyk

174. Matt.N says:

Re: Washington

Always loved Green. Not with the contract. I think he is ripe for a buy out.

I suspect there is going to be UFAs raining from the sky this summer when GMs start cutting ugly contracts. Tambo needs to keep his powder dry for the fallout.

175. khildahl says:

The team looks hesitant tonight. That’ll bite them.

176. pboy says:

56 is laying the body early!

Hartikainen with a nice hit on the forecheck. Nuge line seems to be doing okay.

178. Rebilled says:

Harski is player of the game already.

179. khildahl says:

I was wondering if they were going to notice there was a power play.

180. hunter1909 says:

First impressions tonight 2 minutes in:

Kreuger would look good in a Hugo Boss suit.

Oilers not intimidated so far, came out hitting the Sharks who are a really fucking good hockey team.

181. khildahl says:

Oooh. Damn.

182. Matt.N says:

DUBIE!

Jesus, Dubnyk.

184. BlacqueJacque says:

Two games in a row that Eberle has been dishing to nowhere land.

185. khildahl says:

I should have picked up an AED to watch this game.

186. delooper says:

San Jose is playing the way the Kings were playing at the end of the 2012 season.

187. pboy says:

I’m pretty sure Reagan was President the last time an Oilers team was going up and down the ice like this.

188. khildahl says:

What a weird bounce.

189. BlacqueJacque says:

Hordi is slow and has poor awareness of the play.

The sky is blue and Edmonton gets cold in the winter.

190. khildahl says:

Great pressure. Yak’s getting confidence.

191. hunter1909 says:

Finally a team good enough to play the Oilers.

192. pboy says:

56 is doing his best Lucic impression so far.

193. BlacqueJacque says:

pboy:
    56 is doing his best Lucic impression so far.

I love that kid. It makes me doubly happy that he is Finnish. Maybe it’s just me, but it seems to me that Finns play hockey physically, like typical Canadian hockey, unlike the more typical European styles (Swedish, Swiss, Russian.)

194. hunter1909 says:

pboy,

Post of the night.

Horcoff has been invisible.

196. JohnnyRocket says:

Do Gagner and Hemsky even know that 64 is out there?

197. Matt.N says:

I’m no expert, and its been many years since I have witnessed it, but this looks like a good Oilers team going toe to toe with a very good opponent.

198. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909:
    pboy,

Post of the night.

I was actually just about to nominate Hunter’s “Finally, a team good enough…”

199. hunter1909 says:

Fistric made a great rush, and Whitney can do no wrong lol.

Dubnyk’s looking legit, so long as he turns up at the rink awake.

Newer Comments »