OKC V HOUSTON 1.1.13

Jordan Eberle’s hat trick last night was the latest example of the OKC Barons NHLers (Hall, Eberle, Schultz even though he hasn’t played there) finding clearance via success and opportunity. The December results for Ebs suggest he’s still rising:

• Eberle before December: 20, 12-15-27 (1.35ppg)
  • Eberle in December: 11, 11-9-20 (1.82ppg)
  • Schultz before December: 20, 11-20-31 (1.55ppg)
  • Schultz in December: 11, 6-8-14 (1.27ppg)
  • Hall before December: 12, 5-11-16 (1.33ppg)
  • Hall in December: 11, 7-9-16 (1.45ppg)

One of the things we should be looking for is a month that doesn’t belong–something that corrects the market as it were–but so far the closest thing we’ve seen is the Schultz December and that’s not really a correction so much as a couple of missing assists. I don’t know that we can expect anything but terrific production from this trio when the lockout ends. December hot streaks include Mark Arcobello (11, 3-14-17) and Nathan Deck (11, 0-4-4 +5).

(photo by Rob Ferguson. All rights reserved).

I wonder how many of the NHL Oilers will suffer from various maladies when the league returns. We know about Sutton, suspect Khabibulin and worry over Whitney. Smid’s been hurt in the first half and Hall and Nuge have been to see the doctor. Eager didn’t help himself but I’m not aware of a hockey injury.

With the said, the depth chart might be:

• Goal: Devan Dubnyk, (injured) Nikolai Khabibulin
  • Defense: Ladislav Smid, Jeff Petry, Nick Schultz, Justin Schultz, Ryan Whitney, Corey Potter, Theo Peckham (injured) Andy Sutton
  • Center: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sam Gagner, Shawn Horcoff, Eric Belanger
  • Left Wing: Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Smyth, Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk
  • Right Wing: Ales Hemsky, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Jones, Teemu Hartikainen, Lennart Petrell

Is that correct? So, I would think the first callups by position would be:

• Goal: Yann Danis, Olivier Roy
  • Defense: Colten Teubert, then Taylor Fedun
  • Center: Chris VandeVelde or Mark Arcobello
  • Left Wing: Magnus Paajarvi

Fair? I’d agree with that except for two things: I believe they’ll take Danis north and put NK on the IR, and will find a way to get Paajarvi onto the NHL roster, even if it is only for a showcase.

Thoughts?

54 Responses to "OKC V HOUSTON 1.1.13"

1. BlacqueJacque says:

I’m really beginning to wonder whether or not Eberle won’t be the better scorer (and arguably better overall player) than Hall. Hall is bigger, faster, meaner, but I have personally never seen anyone put the puck in the net the way Ebs does. Maybe Mike Bossy when the Isles swung through town back in the 80s, but I was a kid then.

OTOH Hall is shooting slappers now, and they’re pretty impressive.

A few posters (LMHF#1 for one) have been quite vocal about Eberle and if it turns out like that he should get credit. The odds of Eberle>Hall in terms of actual value are not good and haven’t been since draft day(s).

That said, Jordan Eberle isn’t your ordinary 22nd overall draft pick.

3. velo says:

What do we really know about Habby’s injury? Do we have any recent sources as to where he’s at at the moment?

4. Crash says:

My favorite Oiler has been Eberle since his first NHL game and that sweet, sweet goal against Calgary. That being said, I believe Hall is the better player and the straw that stirs the drink. There were stretches in the first couple of years when Hall was injured and Eberle was not able to get it going. Teams were able to focus on him and shut him down. Hall on the other hand forces the issue against the opposition and can perform on his own.

Crash:

My favorite Oiler has been Eberle since his first NHL game and that sweet, sweet goal against Calgary. That being said, I believe Hall is the better player and the straw that stirs the drink.There were stretches in the first couple of years when Hall was injured and Eberle was not able to get it going.Teams were able to focus on him and shut him down.Hall on the other hand forces the issue against the opposition and can perform on his own.

I too believe Hall is the best young player on the team and would bet on him being an impact player as early as this coming season. To think he did what he managed last season with a bum shoulder is incredible.

I think the Nuge is the other player with a chance to be better and will reserve the Yak decision until we see him for a time.

Having said that, its kind of like choosing between your kids. Painful!

6. LMHF#1 says:

That said, Jordan Eberle isn’t your ordinary 22nd overall draft pick.

Man. that’s for sure. :-)

8. BlacqueJacque says:

LMHF#1: I’m just incredibly glad we’re having this debate instead of wondering whether the Chris Hajt-Alex Henry-Jesse Niinimaki types of the world will play for the big club. Much better days.

I think that’s how I discovered this blog. “Who the fuck is Alexei Mikhnov?” was my google query, I believe.

9. Lucinius says:

I found this place due to a typo in Google. I was looking up oil clogs.

My subconscious led me to the right place.

10. dulock says:

Hey Lowetide, are you left-handed?

Yes, why?

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

Scheduled scratches for #OKCBarons: Davidson, Ringwald, Tyrvainen, Pelss, Vandevelde (final game of suspension) & Henry

13. PaperDesigner says:

Yes, why?

Well, it clearly explains that you are intelligent, sophisticated, and the desire of all sorts of attractive women in the succinct phrase “left-handed”.

From a completely objective point of view, of course.

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

#OKCBarons lines, listed LW-C-RW: Hall-Arcobello-Eberle; Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen; Byers-Green-Pitlick; Hamilton-House-Lizon

Same as last night iirc, Lizon rocks on.

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

Defence pairings for #OKCBarons: Deck/Schultz; Fedun-Teubert; Marincin/Plante

d stays the same, I believe Danis starts again. Blue has settled down since Deck arrived.

16. velo says:

Hey LT,

Thanks for the link, but the article is one month old and he’s been re-Habbing (haha) for full 8 months…I’d like to see something in print about his ability to play at this time. Since he’s getting paid, can the Oil’s Dr.s have a look? I’m curious about Whitney, too.

17. Kaiser Permanante Power Play says:

Happy New Year LT.

Anyone got a link for this game?

18. dulock says:

I’ve noticed a couple of things in your writing that are typical of lefties. For instance you have injured before the player’s name instead of after. Both are correct but lefties have a natural tendancy to read things right to left and righties left to right.

19. smokinmonkey8 says:

Anyone have a link to this game? Firstrowsports doesn’t seem to have one

No links, sorry. adthenet usually has something up.

Dulock: Interesting. I know as a lefty I am different. :-)

Paajarvi is getting better at protecting the puck in the offensive zone when he doesn’t have a quick passing option. Small thing, but its there.

22. BlacqueJacque says:

I missed a lot of Barons news when I was out of town.

Who is Deck?

When were Marincin and Schultz split up, and why?

23. smokinmonkey8 says:

BIT THE BULLET AND PAID FOR THE GAME

Marincin had a period of games where he was the culprit on the deciding goal–usually very late in the game. He was bleeding confidence and it was a problem, so the club moved him down the depth chart, called to Stockton for Deck who has been incredible.

Hall scores on the PP

Hall (Eberle, Arcobello)

Hockey streams is outstanding for those who don’t have ot. well worth it!

Damn Pitlick made a nice power move there but got poke checked at the last minute.

27. dessert1111 says:

Finally drove the net instead of his Paajarvi-esque bad angled shot alone on the rush. The other thing I’d like him to do sometimes is hold up and let the play develop. But one thing at a time :)

28. Deans123 says:

Does anyone know if Hockey Streams consistently has WHL games?

29. dessert1111 says:

Deans123:
    Does anyone know if Hockey Streams consistently has WHL games?

Yes I think they have all of them. I’ve watched lots

Yeah WHL all day. I watched Swift Currenty/Lethbridge this afternoon, Shawn Mullin called a helluva game although the third period was a shot to the knackers for Speedy Creek.

31. Deans123 says:

Thanks for the heads up guys. I think I’m going to subscribe.

32. OilLeak says:

I hate the Aeros.

33. Zack says:

Does anyone have a link yet?

34. jfry says:

I can never get full screen to work on hockey streams. Anyone else?

35. Suntory Hanzo says:

i’ve been scouring the interweb, but can’t find one either. None of the usual suspects have a link up.

I can’t find a feed, sorry folks.

Barons are getting pushed around a little in the second, on the ice and scoreboard. This team could use some secondary scoring.

37. OilLeak says:

jfry:
    I can never get full screen to work on hockey streams. Anyone else?

Click the box directly to the right where it says “Full Screen”

38. OilLeak says:

Eberle is Magic.

Eberle is music! Harski and Arcobello

40. jfry says:

Oil leak. Nothing happens for me when I click the full screen option. It’s weird. Normally just clicking the screen twice will work on video as well

41. OilLeak says:

jfry:

Try a different browser maybe? No problems on my end using Firefox.

42. shawwwood says:

Arcobello now tied for 10th in AHL scoring

Barons look like they’re playing the third period on the back end of btb’s.

44. OilLeak says:

Some OIler jerseys in the crowd tonight.

45. raventalon40 says:

BlacqueJacque: I think that’s how I discovered this blog.“Who the fuck is Alexei Mikhnov?” was my google query, I believe.

That’s bizarre! That’s how I ended up finding out about the “Oilogosphere” and Hockeysfuture.com as well! Although back then the “Oilogosphere” was maybe five blogs of which Lowetide was the main one.

I still wonder about Bumagin to this day!

46. Oilertown says:

@Jfry a little late to help you but are you using the Windows link or Flash. I know a couple days ago when I had trouble watching the Can-Rus game I had to use Windows link and could not get a full screen but I didn’t even have the full screen option anywhere on there

47. BlacqueJacque says:

Thanks, LT, I really appreciate the update.

48. Lucinius says:

Yakupov with an assist on a Russian powerplay goal; lead 1-0 over the Swiss.

Yakupov is the bad, bad man of the World Jrs.

49. Lucinius says:

Swis tie it up, short handed, ona colossal mis-cue by the Russians, right in front of the net; puck was dropped back for Yakupov for the carry out and it was mis-timed and Yakupov went right by it.

Ugly. Russia remains the dysfunctional team of the tournament.

50. Lucinius says:

Yakupov had a short handed break-away (he’s on the Russian’s 2nd pk unit), but was easily caught by a defenseman.. Yakupov was going as hard as he could but he didn’t look that quick. Play dissolved into nothing.

51. Lucinius says:

Bill Ranford barrel roll makes an appearance from the Swiss goalie, haha.

52. Lucinius says:

The one negative about Yakupov’s pk work is his stick work, or more accurately, the lack thereof. He almost never uses his stick to block lanes.

53. Lucinius says:

Swiss are playing on par with the Russians but the refs are swinging it in favour of the Swiss. Three horrendous calls in this period alone.