OKC V MILWAUKEE 5.1.13

The Barons have the most spectacular offensive players in the AHL–Jordan Eberle, Justin Schultz and Taylor Hall practically score at will, or at least have done so through the first 30+ games of the season. The scoring outside the top group–and I’ll include Mark Arcobello and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in the top group–is basically the twin winger hopefuls Teemu Hartikainen and Magnus Paajarvi.

The list of offensive disappointments goes on forever, but for me the biggest one is a guy who just has to hit above the Mendoza line. Anton Lander is in that area of the draft (40th overall) where you have a right to expect reasonable return. Not 100% guaranteed return, but you should get a player at #40 if your procurement department and the development people can keep their heads out of their asses.

We’ll have lots of time to apply blame if Lander goes sideways, but there are some signs that the young man is at least finding some range with his offense. 8 shots on goal and a goal in the last two games is a nice turn of events, and in his last 13 games Lander is 2-4-6–approaching .5 points-per-game AHL level.

In my OKC RE for Lander, I suggested reasonable would be 70, 10-20-30 over the season–that’s .428/per game. Here’s how things are shaping up currently:

• Overall season so far: 29, 3-4-7 .240
  • October-November: 16, 1-0-1 .063
  • Since December 1: 13, 2-4-6 .462

In the next few days I plan to do a post on the 1991-born Oiler prospects–its a long list and includes much of the 2009 and some of the 2010 draft–an enormous portion of the cluster. I think getting something (outside round 1) from those 1991′s is going to be vital for the Oilers moving forward, and Anton Lander is central to the piece.

We wait.

79 Responses to "OKC V MILWAUKEE 5.1.13"

1. FPB94 says:

Personally I’m more worried about Magnus not hitting PPG. But at the same time i don’t hope much for Lander outside 3rd/4th C

2. spoiler says:

Bloody ManU does it again. It’s like they need it to be in extra time to score.

3. Marc says:

With respect LT I don’t think it is accurate to say that ‘Lander is in that area of the draft (40th overall) where you have a right to expect reasonable return. Not 100% guaranteed return, but you should get a player at #40 if your procurement department and the development people can keep their heads out of their asses.’

1 out of every 4 second round picks manage to play 200 games in the NHL. Even if we assume that picks nearer the beginning of the second round are more likely to make it than picks near the end, an above average procurement department would expect at least half of their high second round picks to fail.

4. jp says:

I REALLY hope they leave Lander in OKC for most or all of this season (assuming there’s somewhere else he could go play!). When the lockout ends they pretty much HAVE to buy Horcoff out. With the lack of C depth the team “needs” him, but I just don’t see any way to avoid a trade/buyout with his value relative to cap hit. ffs, this team would need to cut 2-3M in payroll to fit under a ~60M payroll THIS year, and it only gets worse from there. If Horcoff is gone, it will be tough to keep Lander in OKC, but hopefully they bring VV (or Arcobello??) up instead. Lander has made some strides lately, but he needs to keep playing in offensive situations for the time being.

FPB94:
    Personally I’m more worried about Magnus not hitting PPG.But at the same time i don’t hope much for Lander outside 3rd/4th C

He certainly hasn’t been what was hoped for from a #10 pick. That said, I’ve long since dropped my expectations for him from 1st/2nd line scorer to 2-way 3rd liner. I’ve also never thought Harti would be able to keep up in a full time top 6 role (in the NHL). Luckily, those spots are mostly filled. If the expectation for these 2 guys is “3rd liner” then they’re not doing too badly. NHLEs for this season are
    Hartikainen 82 12 16 28
    Paajarvi 82 5 18 23
    Very mediocre, but that’s at or above the Mendoza line. At this point, if the Oilers get useful NHL players out of all of Lander, Paajarvi and Hartikainen (even if all are in a bottom 6 role) things aren’t looking too bad, at least with the forward corps.

Lander has to play with at least one good puck transporting winger to be offensively effective. The Oilers have a lot of those.

With the Oilers last year, he was stuck with Eager, Petrell, and Hordichuk. In OKC, early this season he was stuck with the lower tier wingers, some good checkers, but none a really good puck transporter.

As soon as he was put with a puck transporter in Paajarvi, Lander’s offense returned.

6. Ryan says:

Yes, the 2009 NHL draft has not been kind to the Oilers.

I remember at the time talking with Racki from POTF about the draft. We both agreed that it would be a good day if the Oilers could draft Kulikov whom most felt was in range for the 10th pick.

That being said, no one thought PRV would fall to 10th.

Hindsight being what it is, PRV dropping was unlucky for us. The scout reports about his hands of stone seem to be playing out.

As far as Lander, I didn’t follow the draft close enough to really know much about anything outside of the 1st round back in those days.

Obviously Ryan O’Reilly was a great pick for the 2nd round.

If you look just at gp, then you might already argue that Lander was a success as a 2nd round pick. However, that would require not knowing he should have been send down last year pretty quick (instead of staying up).

Lander’s offense certainly isn’t tracking near well enough to project an NHL career out of him unless he morphs into Steve MacIntyre.

For his second round draft class, Lander’s tracking well behind (in terms of offense) guys like Jeremy Morin (45), Brandon Pirri (59), Dmitri Orlov (55), Drew Shore (44)–amoung the few 2nd round pics whom I recognize at all.

JFJ’s AHL stats make him look like Lemieux compared to Omark ‘s and JFJ had wheels and size.

7. Ryan says:

Speaking of the Mendoza line…

Lowetide, what in your opinion (given NHLE or whatever) is the Mendoza line for points in the AHL for a player to project to an NHL career (excluding nuclear deterrents, of course!)

Obviously some AHL super stars have issues like speed that prevent them from making the NHL and other guys don’t put up a ton of points, but either have plus PK / checking ability.

In that context or in terms of Lander in particular, what would you suggest is the Mendoza line?

Ryan:
    Speaking of the Mendoza line…

That’s such a great question. I think .50 ppg (40 points in 80 gp) is the line in the sand for a checker like Lander, but that was never likely in a season like this one–too many at-bats going to actual NHLers.

I picked 30 points in 70 games for this season, would suggest 35 in 70gp (or .5) for a checking C in a normal year.

For skilled guys, I think it has to be well over .75

9. cabbiesmacker says:

Hate to be a panic monger but imo it’s starting to look an awful lot like the Oilers have f’d up every forward draft pick outside of the “can’t miss” first overalls + Eberle the past few years. Meaning they get credit for one single item of foresight. It’s also looking entirely likely, again imo, that they’ve also managed to pooch a 10 OV with the MPS selection. Sorry MPS fans but I haven’t seen anything in 3 years that tells me the guy will ever be anything above a borderline 3rd liner and PK’er at best.Since a chimp could make those first overall’s I rate the Oiler efforts as somewhere between dismal and pathetic.

It’s entirely possible that the Mensa crowd down Hwy 2 drafted more legitimate NHL hopefuls in 2011 picking 45th to 164th than the Oilers have outside of first ov’s in the past 5 years. Maybe Klefbom and Simpson on D soften the landing somewhat but this group of scouts has been flat out awful.

And I thought they’d have to go real hard to be more futile than the 2007 and 2003 fiascos.

I don’t get why people are saying Paajarvi and Lander are busts.

The Oilers could run Paajarvi, Lander, and Hartikainen out as their 4th line, and it would be one of the better 4th lines in the NHL, capable of playing upwards of 10 minutes. And in two or three years, that would be an extremely capable 3rd line, and all three guys would still be under 25.

I think people look at them and see the lack of offense and it is a concern. Having said that, we have to factor in the development of Eberle and the drafting of Hall, then Nuge, then Yakupov. I don’t think it’s a massive sin to be well behind that group.

On the other hand, you do need to deliver offense. Paajarvi imo should find an NHL home as a 2-way 30+ point winger who doesn’t get much PP time. I’m less certain of Lander, right now he looks like a poor man’s Jim Dowd (if we’re lucky).

Very good news, Gerta. Thanks for passing along.

13. oilersfan says:

Not sure if any one here is paying attention but it looks like the lockout may end today or tomorrow. Many here have speculated that Horcoff would get bought out. Others argue that he shouldn’t be bought out as he is needed.

I am in the second camp, sort of. What has not been made clear is whether or not a player who is bought out can re-sign with the same team. Even if he can’t wouldn’t it make sense to trade him to a team that also wants to re-sgn a overpaid player? For example, in 5 minutes I found two flames and two habs that may be eligible for buyouts. If the Oilers traded Horcoff for JBo or Cole or Bourque, with a handshake agreement between the team and the players that after they are bought out they would come back at a substantially reduced rate, say 1/3, wouldn’t that make sense for everybody? It wouldn’t cost the teams any more money but they get the lower cap hit, the player gets paid 2/3 of his contract up front and won’t have to worry about increased escrow, and gets 1/3 over the remainer of the contract.

Bouwmeester 13 million , Camalleri 12 million, Cole 12 million , Rene Bourque 12 million, Horcoff 13 million. I am sure there are others out there the Oilers could find to trade with.

Comments welcome.

Oilerfan: I’ll believe the lockout is over the moment they announce the lockout is over. Before then, I assume foul play is waiting around the next corner.

I believe the Oilers need Horcoff at this time, but they also need those dollars. A summer buyout is likely imo, but that also gives the Oilers time to add another 2-way C who can fill the void at half the price.

Vandevelde got 6 goals in the playoffs last year playing with Paajarvi. Lander now has three since he was moved up with Paajarvi. Paajarvi is a playmaker. Hartikainen’s goalscoring pace hasn’t slowed down since being move back to play with “horrible” Paajarvi, after Harti’s stint with the Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle.

Hemsky has scored 20 goals once, maybe twice, and maybe never again. We don’t consider him a bad player because he gets 50 assists every year. Paajarvi is likely a 10 goal 25 assist guy who can drive the puck up the ice likely on a 3rd line.

In two years, a 3rd line of Paajarvi, Lander, and Hartikainen will still be extremely cap friendly, and will be perfectly aligned with the hockey and cap needs of the cluster.

Godot10: I agree, but we can’t count our chickens…. There will be plenty of competition for 3C on this Oiler team, now and over the next several seasons. Landers’ recent spurt hopefully continues, inhouse options are always the best ones (when they can cover the job).

17. oilersfan says:

Lowetide I am not sure you get what I was saying. The Oilers could trade Horcoff to Montreal for Rene Bourque thiis summer. The Oilers could buyout Bourque who is owed $12 million, The Habs could buyout Horcoff. who is owed $13 million. Then the Oilers could sign Horcoff to a 3 year deal for 1.7 million cap hit an the Habs could do the same with Bourque. The teams pay out the exact money they would pay anyways, the players would end up with all their money and the teams reduce their cap hit by 3.5 million each and keep the players they like.

Bourque is one example who could be changed for any other similar player the team wants to re-sign at .33 of their existing cap hit like Eric Cole or Camalleri.

18. cabbiesmacker says:

godot10:

When a team drafts a kid in the top 10 I’m betting most think they’re getting better than a 4th liner.

I’d also bet that proposed 4th line of yours would be nowhere near tops in the league. Thankfully they wouldn’t be getting a bunch of minutes though so the negative impact would be minimal. Aren’t 4th lines supposed to have some physicality to them as well? It’s highly likely Paajarvi cringes when he sees a teammate coming near him in the lockerroom.

Oilersfan: Ah, I understand. Well, if it gets the Oilers Horcoff at a good price then I’m all for it. He’s certainly slowed but I’ll take him on my team short term.

20. VOR says:

I thought some of you might be interested in knowing the odds on getting a good player with selections from #31OV to #40OV.

For non goaltenders – the average NHL games played is 243

23% never play a single game
    36% play less than 100 games in the NHL
    18% play more than 100 but less than 500 games in the NHL
    23% play more than 500 games

The Oilers historically have been awful in this range averaging 180 games played per player drafted 31-40 OV.

So think of it it this way – with the 56 games in the NHL Lander already played Pitlick, Musil, Lander, and Moroz only need to play another 916 NHL games comined in order for Stu and the boys to have done an average job with those picks. Two of them will probably play under 100 games so the other two better be pretty good players. Maybe one will be Brad Winchester and the other Jarret Stoll.

21. Gerta Rauss says:

oilersfan,

If I’m reading Capgeek correctly I see Horcoff being owed $7M over 2 years and Borque being owed $9M over 3 years(after this current season is completed, and the teams being in a position to consider amnesty buyouts in June 2013)
    At any rate, I see these complex buyout suggestions as nothing more than hockey fans with a lot of time on their hands. I doubt any of the owners are in any hurry to use the amnesty buyout unless they absolutely have to-and with the rumours circulating today that the cap may step down in 13/14 to $63M an amnesty buyout may not be needed at all.

22. jp says:

oilersfan:

Bourque is one example who could be changed for any other similar player the team wants to re-signat .33 of their existing cap hit like Eric Cole or Camalleri.

I have an extremely difficult time believing the league would allow this to happen. If it occurred on a large scale, half the owners would still be paying out 70M in payroll even though the cap is 60M (or whatever they settle on). At least short term it completely undermines much of what this 4 month lockout was trying to achieve (on the NHL side at least). As LT said, if it’s an option, for sure it’s an attractive one, I just don’t see it being an option.

23. oilersfan says:

Gerta

You are right, I was including this season too. Although the point continues, 7 million for Horcoff, 6.5 million for Bourque, resulting in 3.5 million reduction in cap hit for Horcoff, less for Bourque. But like I said, Bourque could be substitued for Eric Cole or Camalleri or a handful of other players out there.

I don’t see why the owners wouldn’t do it. They dont pay out any extra money because they get the player back at 1/3 the price, they just get the reduced cap hit.

JP, you may be right. The NHL may put in a disclaimer not allowing players to resign with any team they played for over the last 12 months sort of like an RFA term sheet, but if the Oilers buy out Horcoff and he re-signs somewhere else closer to market, say 3.5 million, isn’t that more inflationary than allowing him to re-sign with the Oilers for 1.7?

Some had mentioned other creative ideas, like allowing other teams to bid for buyout candidates, with the team buying out only left with the difference of money and none of the cap hit. That would be ok as they could look for another Horcoff like player. But if the league doesn’t put in the 12 month rule I would be happy with my idea.

24. RickDeckard says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Update on Smid-that is really good news

25. Marc says:

cabbiesmacker,

I think teams have much more realistic view of waht they are likely to get with the 10th pick than you seem to.

Here are the guys that were taken at 10 in the decade before MPS:
    Oleg Saprykin (335 GP – bottom pair D)
    Mikhail Yakubov (bust)
    Dan Blackburn (bust)
    Eric Nystrom (360 GP – 4th liner)
    Andrei Kostitsyn (398 GP – 2nd liner)
    Boris Valabik (bust)
    Luc Bourdon (deceased)
    Michael Frolik (304 GP – 3rd liner)
    Keaton Ellerby (116 GP – bottom pair D)
    Cody Hodgson (91 GP – 3rd/4th liner)

Only one of the teams picking 10th between 1999 and 2008 got even a 2nd liner out of it and four got nothing at all. The rest were bottom pairing D or 3/4 liners.

So it seems to me that we can already say that the MPS pick was average to above average, as they definitely got an NHL player out of it. If MPS settles into a third line role it will have been a good pick. If he turns out to be a fourth liner it will have been an average one, but it wasn’t a bad one.

26. hunter1909 says:

I only went to university for 4 years – so I know I’m not stupid, but why are the players and owners arguing over salary caps, when all they have to do is fucking agree on the percentages?

Oh I think I get it. Except now i don’t again.

I can do poetry, in case anyone is interested.

Hunter: This entire lockout reminds me of my kids. When they were 8!

VOR:

For non goaltenders – the average NHL games played is 243

23% never play a single game
    36% play less than 100 games in the NHL
    18% play more than 100 but less than 500 games in the NHL
    23% play more than 500 games

VOR: Over which years is the survey? Fascinating.

29. Bruce McCurdy says:

hunter1909:

Ive been wondering this since Day Minus-One. If they agree on what is HRR and what % of it goes to the players, how that then gets split up is of distant secondary importance. What am I missing? (Besides NHL hockey for the third time in three CBA’s, that is.)

If anything NHL should be in favour of higher salary cap in 2nd year (since they’re playing with monopoly money anyway), otherwise the “best league in the world” will expose itself to a big talent drain of those players whose contracts are set to expire on June 30.

30. bendelson says:

IF memory serves MPS dropped to ten b/c Kadri and Cowen went before him… The other name of significance was damn, I can’t recall the name, the RW Dallas selected.

None of these players have yet met expectations…

Kulikov was a good pick to be sure. There is however some risk in taking a Russian defencemen early in the 1st round – so good for FLA.

Given these were ‘consensus’ picks, I don’t see the MPS selection as a mistake. I would take him over Kadri in a heartbeat.

31. Gerta Rauss says:

RickDeckard: Am I the only hoping that Krejci enjoys his time with Hemsky enough to agree to be traded here when the Bruins need to clear cap space?

Playing with Hemsky can’t hurt.

I think if the Oilers can put together a moderately successful season when the lockout ends..I’m not talking final 4 or anything, but just a season that trends out of the cellar and nice NHL seasons for Schultz and Yakupov and a respectable push for a playoff spot,I think UFA’s and veteran players are going to look to Edmonton and say, “yeah, I might want to be part of that”

At some point winning hockey games has to be the priority for this franchise and it’s fanbase and collecting high draft picks is a secondary item-that’s my opinion anyway.

32. Ryan says:

oilersfan,

I’m with Gerta Rauss on this issue, sorry.

It’s a fine idea in terms of theory though it certainly doesn’t pass the smell test whether or not their are actual provisions against it. I certainly suspect their would be.

When we’re talking owners’ money, it’s easy to think of a $7m buyout as just seven bucks (relative to our dollars) but at the end of the day, it’s still real money. After this (season?) it might be easier to trade Horcoff to a cap floor team.

Depending on how they structure the shortened season, I wonder how things workout for teams that do/do not make the playoffs too.

Will the non-playoff teams get eaten alive and the teams in the second season make out like bandits?

If that’s the case, I don’t project the Oilers as a playoff team which makes a Horcoff buyout less likely.

33. Gerta Rauss says:

oilersfan,

There is a lot of guys on this board that are a lot smarter than me and can talk at length about the time value of money. I don’t see many owners(other than maybe NY or PHI) that are going to be in any hurry to buyout millions of dollars up front just because they can reduce the cap hit of hockey players. I’m as guilty as the next guy when playing around on capgeek and dreaming up complex trade scenarios but like I said above, I think the amnesty buyouts will be a last resort for the majority of teams.

34. oilersfan says:

Ryan

You don’t get the part about re-signing Horcoff for1.7 million per for 3 years, and the owners paying dollar for dollar the same amount but with the 3.7 million reduction in cap hit?

I understand this is real money, thats why I am not advocating buying out Lecavalier or something. This idea, on the other hand, is 2/3 of 7 million, which is 4.5ish million, then re-sign him at a lower hit. Shouldn’t cost Katz anything more than he spends if he keeps him, but gets rid of the brutal cap hit.

Not rocket science.

will the league allow it? not sure why they wouldn’t as like I said, letting all those players re-sign for fair market value is more inflationary than signing them for artificially low prices like Horcoff would agree to.

35. VOR says:

LT,

1980-2004 inclusive (yes for later years fudge factors are involved since some drafted players are still active players – though it is a small adjustment since the number of the players still playing is much less than you might expect). I was trying for 25 years of data. Interestingly the 1980s were better in terms of games played than the 1990s. Even when I made bizarre assumptions, like that Nick Schultz will play 1000 NHL games the 2000-2004 series absolutely sucks.

The Oilers best years at these spots were the KP years – by miles. Larcque, Stoll, Winchester, etc.

36. murphy says:

I don’t mind trying those tactics to get horc back cheaper but if the league puts in rules against it we need to add a tough minutes C before next season.

I would think with the lower cap the Kings may need to drop Jarret Stoll, i enjoyed him with the oilers and would like to see them take a run at him if he’s one of the buyouts.

37. Marc says:

VOR:

KP’s downfall were his first round picks, which were well below average, but his second round and later picks were actually pretty good at generating NHL players.

38. jp says:

oilersfan:

But the owners do pay more in the end. They pay Horcoff the same dollars between the buyout and new contract, plus have some extra cap space. There’s no point going through all the trouble if that new cap space isn’t going to be used on other players. Thus teams that make these sorts of moves will be paying out more than the cap in actual salary.

I think you’re right though that whether Horcoff re-signs with the Oilers after being bought out, or signs somewhere, it technically doesn’t affect much/anything (unless as you note he’d get paid more elsewhere). This kind of trade-buyout-re-sign type of deals would really only serve to allow teams to circumvent the cap. I imagine that if these kinds of moves were allowed though, it would likely increase the total number of buyouts (and thus the amount by which actual salaries will exceed the cap). Buying out a player without any chance of getting him back is usually a tough decision (see Horcoff), but if you know you can still have the player but with reduced cap hit, there’s no reason not to do it (aside from the real money). We will see. Hopefully we’ll have some real parameters to speculate about the Oilers future with before too long rather than having to speculate even on the parameters…

IF horc is bought out in the summer, by whomever, it would be moronic to sign someone that old to a new three year contract.

The new CBa is going to elininate burying salaries in the ahl

Only key cluster players should get 3 year contracts.

40. jb says:

Lockout coming to a near end rumors pickin up.. Interesting. Motivation? more than 48 game season

Wait why are they buying out Horcoff? He’s gonna be owned 4 mil/3 mill in the next two years before the deal expires. Why would u waste a buyout now? Why do we need a couple mil in capspace so urgently?
    These buyouts are gonna be for the Luongo’s who were stupidly tied down forever imo. Not the guys the make slightly too much with 2 years left on their deals.

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

Here’s who is not scheduled to play tonight for the #OKCBarons: Davidson, Ringwald, Tyrvainen, Pelss, Teubert, Lizon, Henry

Interesting list. Teubert out, I thought he’d played well enough but maybe rotation/injury and it isn’t like he’s headed for the all-star game. Lizon out is a good thing.

42. sliderule says:

Speaking of drafting did you see that Pokka had 2g4a6pts and a plus 10 the highest in WJC .

I hear Moroz is playing better so I guess it won’t matter.

43. LMHF#1 says:

Calling Dan Blackburn a bust isn’t correct.

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

Defence pairings for #OKCBarons: Deck/Schultz; Marincin/Plante; Lafranchise/Fedun (the Spruce Grove connection)

Change in the pairings. top 2 stay the same, jailbreak with boat anchor on 2nd pairing and Fedun with the new guy.

Lines fr #OKCBarons, LW-C-RW: Hall-Arcobello-Eberle; Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen; Byers-Green-Pitlick; Hamilton-VandeVelde-House

Interesting lineup, 3line looks like its getting some chem and the 4line are all pk men.

LMHF#1:
    Calling Dan Blackburn a bust isn’t correct.

qft

47. smokinmonkey8 says:

Does anyone have a link to this game or is it ahllive again tonight

48. dessert1111 says:

The defense pairings look scary. Forward lines pretty good though. Wouldn’t mind seeing House on the third line he has looked more offensive lately, making chances for himself.

49. smokinmonkey8 says:

Dipstick,

cheers

50. jp says:

Just signed up at hockeystreams.com. Picture looks decent. Single audio though. I’m hoping I only use it for a game or 2 and it’s a waste of my $17.99!

51. commonfan14 says:

oilersfan,

Despite my musing in the last thread that they could think big and work that scam with Tampa in a Stamkos and Lecavalier for Hall and Eberle swap, it’s possible that the whole idea could be nixed if they borrow from the NBA and use a modified waiver system for the amnesty buyouts. How that worked was teams put their buyout guy on waivers, and any team under the cap could submit a blind bid for him at some salary less than he was being bought out for – highest bid won the guy, had to pay him the contract they bid, and the original team was responsible for paying the rest of the guy’s contract with no cap hit.

It would certainly be a fun process to watch.

52. Rondo says:

Still think players like Landers MPS etc will be a better position once the NHL players leave Oklahoma. Playing with much better players can stunt your growth.

53. Rebilled says:

Last game an eagle had a hotdog shaped t-shirt gun.

Tonight they’re smearing cake in fat guys faces.

God bless the AHL.

54. smokinmonkey8 says:

I’m noticing PRV a lot more in these last couple games. Finishing checks carrying the puck with more confidence and playing in the dirty areas

55. jfry says:

I just read that skid article…. The most interesting part was that it looked like the SUN was moving towards a pay wall and I’m only allowed to read 19 more articles. Madness. It’s like these companies have no clue how he Internet works.

56. dessert1111 says:

Rebilled:
    Last game an eagle had a hotdog shaped t-shirt gun.

Tonight they’re smearing cake in fat guys faces.

God bless the AHL.

lol for guys that big they seemed to be eating pretty slow

jfry:

They say that everytime. I’ve read 80 with that same thing on the lower portion.

58. hunter1909 says:

MPS made a good check? Will wonders never cease as this perfectly good player who’s insanely being vilified for not being as good as the first pick draft guys etc…

Eberle is the player i like the best just for the way he slows down and glides in front of the goal…which is why he scores goals you stat gobbling dickheads.

Lafranchise has got to be my first pick for an AHL call up – since I want the Oilers to be too good to have to give a shit about their call up role players, and keep him around for that awesome name!

To The Poster Worried About Oilers Not Learning To Win Fast Enough – Either they storm out of the gates and make the playoffs, or else they blow or just miss playoffs for one more year, collect another fantastic high draft pick(Seth Jones is my dream player ha ha) and slaughter the Western Conference next time. There’s just too much talent on the squad now, and Kreuger’s worth another good player simply for not being Renney/Otc/MacT.

For what it’s worth, I think Renney was good his first season, then blew the next season. Kind of exactly how it played in NY. OTC was technically so far behind the times his suits are being exhibited in Sweden to this day. And MacT represents everything in the Oiler fan’s collective ID.

59. OilLeak says:

The Barons are outplaying the admirals, but are getting killed with the errors.

60. OilLeak says:

Ugh, Plante has zero play making ability, Schultz gets double teamed and passes to Plante. Plante can’t skate worth shit so he just fires it into the zone with no support, the admirals get the puck back immediately!

wow, awful awful again.

62. OilLeak says:

Finally!

Hall (Arcobello, Schultz)

64. oilersfan says:

I am a big Marincin fan but have not had the chance to watch any of the games. What happened to his game in december? or was he always bad but looked better playing with Schultz?

Does he still look like he will eventually be an NHL player or is that too hard to say at this point?

thanks in advance from those of you who have watched most or all of the OKC games. I only read the COH and here to get an idea of how he has played. I watch the boxscores and read the player reviews at the COH. Would appreciate a bigger picture opinion of his highs and lows and outlook from any of you here.

Thanks

He’ll be fine, just learning the finer points He’s a wonderful passer/mover of the puck, its those small little defensive details that will keep him on the farm for a winter or two. Nothing major, just learning the trade.

66. oilersfan says:

LT do you think he could be a second pairing guy in the NHL or more of a third?

Eberle (Schultz, Hartikainen) off to OT

oilersfan:
    LT do you think he could bea second pairing guy in the NHL or more of a third?

When he arrives I’d guess top 4D.

69. jp says:

SO winner for Schultz.

Not a bad game overall for the Barons.

70. OilLeak says:

Whew, the barons pulled this one out. Roy looked good in the shootout after a relatively quiet game. This game should have never made it to the shootout, the Barons flat out dominated.

Also, Deck had a nice steady game yet again, passes well, skates well and plays sound defense. He should be definite candidate to get a two way contract.

71. dessert1111 says:

Paajarvi looks like he has a great shot in the shootout. Where is that during the game?

Re: Marincin, I was skeptical on him until seeing him in the AHL this year, where he looked really good with the occasional blunder over the first 15 games or so. He has been arguably the worst defender since then. He has the skill set to make the NHL, but I’m not totally confident he will put it all together because he makes Barker-like mistakes that other pro defensemen just don’t seem to make. I get the feeling that he’s trade bait too based on how people in the organization have talked about him. But he could absolutely grow into a top 4D.

72. OilLeak says:

jp:
    SO winner for Schultz.

Not a bad game overall for the Barons.

Schultz had seven shots as did Eberle, just unreal for a defenseman to get that many chances. Schultz defnitely had a few brain cramps though, the one that stood out for me was when he decided to go for the breakaway chance on the penalty kill, loses the puck and then results in a two-on-one the other way.

73. commonfan14 says:

Lots of media tweets reporting that contract variance is still a contentious issue in the negotiations. This is absolutely mind-boggling to me, since the whole issue with variance is that it allowed teams to artificially reduce cap hits by sticking super cheap years at the end of long deals past the age where the player was likely to retire. Well, if contracts are capped at 6 or 7 years and the rule about the cap hits for contracts signed after age 35 is kept in place, deals like that can’t really work anyway. A 27 year old player isn’t going to retire before his 7 year contract is up, so the cap hit is going to have to reflect his full worth no matter how the years are structured (see the total lack of variance in the Hall and Eberle deals – no point at their ages for those terms).

Teams could still get away with it with 34 year old guys I suppose, but after that they can’t because they don’t want the cap hit hanging around after the guy retires.

This is an incredibly minor issue now, and not one the league needs to pick a fight over.

74. VOR says:

Just for fun I went ahead and looked at the draft years from 2000-2009 for the players picked from 31OV to 40OV.

Of the non-goaltenders

- 61% have played at least 1 game in the NHL (54 of 88)
    - 23% have become “actual” NHLers (20 of 88)
    (Vlasic, Neal, O’Reilly, Clifford, McGinn, Voynov, Josi, Nodl, Bolland, Eriksson, Klein, Stoll, Brent, Roy, Jackman, Schultz, Foster, Hilbert, Kopecky, and Winchester). You might, if you wanted to be incredibly generous, add Mikkelson and Repik.

School is out on some of the players (Brennan, Maclean, Sweatt, McRae, Ness, Goloubeff, Sneep, and Stoa have seen ice time in the NHL and have CVs that indicate an NHL career isn’t out of reach).

75. murphy says:

It’s over!! Lockout is over!

P.s. Please no “wow” trade!!

76. Professor Q says:

murphy,

Poor Kris Letang :P

77. murphy says:

Haha if the wow trade was letang then i’d be ok with it!