ROSTER MOVES, MORE TO COME

All kinds of news today in Oilerland, lets start with Wade Redden. There was a time when the entire city buzzed with the possibility (when Redden was a free agent) but that was years ago and Redden’s AHL resume isn’t overwhelming. If he was a possible solution, I’d expect we would see the Oilers go all-in for the veteran. The Edmonton blueline is thin, but I don’t think taking a chance on Wade Redden is likely. A top 6 that looks like this:

• Smid-Petry
  • Schultz-Schultz
  • Whitney-Fistric
  • Potter

seems like a better plan. See if Schultz the younger can survive the rigors of playing NHL defense, see if Ryan Whitney can do most of the things he used to do and see if Smid-Petry are as good as they looked last season. The minor leaguers (Teubert, Fedun) are a drop from the NHL 7, and if the Oilers had waiver options on someone marginal then it might make sense. However, signing Redden and demoting Justin Schultz is the only way I can see it, and baby that’s not happening.

peckham7

• he’ll make the roster and they’ll keep 8D
  • he’ll get sent down on a conditioning stint (along with Paajarvi, who’ll go because they’ll need the roster space for Teddy) and come back soon
  • he’s going to be traded

danis

The Oilers also recalled Yann Danis today, as Nikolai Khabibulin insurance. We’ve discussed this for some time, expect Yann will be fastening his seat belt, making sure his seat is in the upright position and his tray is up quite a few times in 2013. I suggested here that Ben Bishop might be an option and hopefully the Oilers are thinking along the same lines.

fedun

Oilers sent down Taylor Fedun, Colten Teubert and Chris VandeVelde today. History tells us all three are extremely likely to play in the NHL this season. Oilers had very little time to fool around with players who were outsiders, so this is the group for the run. Injuries could come at any time, all three of them could be up here in a week.

planteThe Oilers waived three pro players today. These are the guys who have to clear, but have not done enough to be considered with the group above. Basically, Alex Plante, Tanner House and Dane Byers are AHL players with no NHL opportunities on the horizon. Their tenure requires a “paper shuffle” so that other teams can pick them up if they wish, but that won’t happen as said player would have to stay on the big league roster for the remainder of the season.

47 Responses to "ROSTER MOVES, MORE TO COME"

1. ashley says:

Lots of interesting D on the wire. It seems like the Oilers could have kept their third rounder and just waited for waivers to pick up a 6-7D.

2. Kris11 says:

LT,

Why not trade or waive Potter to the minors and replace him with Redden.

Isn’t Redden a better bet than Potter?

IMO, a Redden on a one year deal is better than Potter, who is really a proven career AHL’er playing in the bottom pairing.

3. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Would you take Redden as a 7th if you could get him for 1 million?

Essentially the same player as Potter no?

LT what would it take for say a Bishop or Bernier out of L.A? Perhaps MPS?

4. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I guess I’m not he only one thinking that.

5. hunter1909 says:

Wes Mantooth-11: Also, I feel no sympathy for Peckham, zero, none. Usually I’m a second third chance kind of person but I think he should just move on down the Yellohead.

You’re a hard man, Wes. But I’m sure you’re fair, and I agree with most of what you say.

I’d rather Peckham woke up, before that happens. I really do.

6. Thinker says:

How bout picking up tim connoly for a season. He would improve the third line, and we do have the cap space to pay him. I know its not a desperate need, but anything to improve the roster. Even if we just grab him off waivers, he could be worth his price.

7. hunter1909 says:

Thinker:

Wes: I’d give a 2nd for Bishop, certainly. He might end up being the starter.

9. Thinker says:

hunter1909,

If you can improve you do it. Hell fire your best guy if you find someone better. Picking connolly off waivers makes the team better, IMO. Either he makes belanger expendable, or he pushes harti down the lineup, and causes either petrell or eager to disappear. Every company that is successful is willing to trim the fat, and add more talented people. Im just saying I believe conolly to be better than some on the roster, and with the extra cap space this year, why not make a move that makes us stronger, and more likely to make the playoffs.

10. mumbai max says:

Thinker,

You cannot be serious about picking up Connelly!? Our third line of Horcoff,
    Smith and Harti is perfect for the role. Horcoff works his butt off, wins face offs,
    shoots 50% on shoot outs, blocks shots, kills penalties and is a power play
    face-off specialist. Connelly can do none of those things. Horcoff is overpaid, but
    he is still a very useful hockey player and a key player on this team.

11. Jon K says:

hunter1909: With respect, do winning hockey teams grab other team’s castoff players simply because they appear to be worth something? Does any successful business do that unconditionally, in your experience?

Dan Cleary is probably another good example.

12. Gi JQE says:

We have had too much time to think about scenarios!

Drop the puck already! We do NOT need a washed up dman for our 7th option and we do not need a castoff from Toronto! They are not improvements and I I would not slot CONNELLY in our lineup… maybe 4th line. But I see no need to pick up more bubble players just for the sake of doing so.

All I have heard about REDDEN is that he is playing sub-par in the AHL! I can’t see him improving the team. You also need to consider the locker room aspect. I suspect the Oilers are becoming a tight group. To bring in these types of guys with their baggage seems less than worth it for what they can do on the ice…

just my opinion…

13. Thinker says:

mumbai max,

I don’t think conolly specifically, but there are options floating around which coulx improve the roster. Obviosly he’s not gonna replace horc or smith, but if he pushes hartikainen down thre roster (ie by playing wing), or takes belanger’s spot, how could that not be a plus? We have cap space this year, and if we can improve overall depth,or the roster in general, i think we should use it. I don’t support flushing young players, but i wouldn’t mind seeing belanger disappear.
    Whats a better bottom six
    Smyth horkoff hartikainen
    Eager belanger petrell
    Hordichuk

Or
    Smyth horkoff hartikainen
    Conelly belanger petrell
    Hordichuk

Re: Redden. He was getting beaten off the wall during the SC final way back when, so unless he’s improved his foot speed then I don’t see it.

As for Connolly, no way–not for the price.

15. mumbai max says:

Thinker,

The reason they flushed Connelly is because he completely floated through the first three
    Leaf scrimmages and he does not want to back check as required by Carlyle. Carlyle was furious, Do we really want a 4.75 million dollar floater. How he is an upgrade on Harti is equally as a big a mystery
    to me as why he is an upgrade on Horcoff. Harti is big, young, Finnish and LOVES standing
    In front of the net. He makes less than a million and is hungry. We don’t need old tired overpaid
    floaters to infect the kids. Drop the puck. Let’s see how it goes before we pick up other peoples
    trash.

16. hunter1909 says:

I hope they show some kind of appreciation to Tom Renney, next time the Red Wings visit.

What? Call up Anton Lander?

18. wheatnoil says:

What? Call up Anton Lander?

No, put Belanger on the powerplay.

19. jp says:

wheatnoil: No, put Belanger on the powerplay.

Don’t forget Khabi starts and Petrell on 1LW. And can they get Omark to hop on a flight so they can PB him?

20. Thinker says:

mumbai max,

Hes not a trade up on horcoff, i clearly said he wasn’t. Probably not on hartikainen either, but keep in mind he is a rookie. I do think we could use a trade up on belanger, eager, or petrell if they become available. Whether it be conolly or somebody else who represents an upgrade, i believe its worth pursuing. He is expensive, but its not going to hurt us, as he is short term. Good teams take chances on this type of guy. Almost everyone in detroit were found in the scrap heap. Also keep in mind that the oilers are unlikely to trade anything of value at the deadline as everyone who is desirable is part of the future. I think another third liner playing on the fourth line would be a positive, but maybe im stupid. We need eager, hordi and belanger bleeding goals.

21. russ99 says:

With Danis up from OKC, doesn’t this set up for the Barons the next great Oiler goalie prospect battle, in the line of Dubnyk vs. Deslauriers?

Bunz vs. Roy!

Or is it too early go give Bunz more than just a cursory look at that level, as he’s not had a stunning year in the ECHL.

22. JohnnyRocket says:

LT- Ha!

23. jp says:

mumbai max,

Thinker,

I think it is fair to say Connolly is a better hockey player than anyone projected to play on the Oil 4th line this year. There is some argument to the incumbents playing particular roles though. Right or wrong, I get the impression that Kruger expects/values physical play out of Eager and Petrell (he certainly mentioned his expectation that they would play a role that would wear down the other team in one of his interviews). There’s also the PK role that Belanger and Petrell are going to play, but Connolly has consistently been used on the PK in Buffalo and Toronto, with apparently decent results. Of note, he actually led the Leafs Fs in blocked shots last year (with more than any F on the Oilers too). You’re giving up faceoff skills replacing Belanger with Connolly, but it’s not even close in terms of offensive upside. I’d rather have the latter there if someone has to move up in the lineup due to injury. He’s definitely is overpaid, and a UFA after the season, but he’s also 3.5 yrs younger than Belanger. If Connolly is floating and refuses to backcheck as MMax said above, then sure you have a problem, but otherwise I have a hard time saying the Oilers wouldn’t be a better team with him on the roster replacing any of Eager, Hordichuk, Belanger or Petrell. He may not be worth the money (like signing Arnott as a FA), but he’s certainly a better hockey player than some that are currently being employed by this team.

24. Rebilled says:

As far as this whole infecting the kids thing…

Is the Dirty Gomez not an upgrade on Belanger? for $1mil? 47 assists in 2010, 31 in 2011.

Don’t think either player will end up here but still.

25. Ryan says:

I was on a recent flight seated beside a guy from Ottawa. I asked him about redden. He basically said redden was well known to have particular issues that derailed his career. Not sure you’d want that in the room, but maybe he’s changed.

26. voxwah says:

What? Call up Anton Lander?

Haha, no way, I’d just trade Omark to the Wings. That will fix Renney and his sideburns!

27. spoiler says:

Gomez is definitely an upgrade on Belanger. And I’m a big believer that Belanger will revert to the mean and be better this year.

We’re close to his homeland… Young exciting team with no pressure to be the top guy. PP depth. The only question is minutes. He’s going to go to the team that offers the most minutes and I expect the Canucks will offer 2nd line pre-kesler and 3rd line post. And they have a far better chance of winning the Cup.

As for Redden and Connolly… Both are the kind of player you’d be looking to add at the trade deadline to cover playoff injuries. I think now would be the wrong time to add them. Personally, I think the compressed schedule should have prompted the League to add another roster spot for this season only. But maybe in today’s well-connected world it’s less important (but still another advantage for the teams in the East).

And finally on Theodore Peckham… I think he will either be IR’ed if they want the roster spot or sent a-conditoning. That said, this org has said it is dedicated to creating an atmosphere of winning, hard work, discipline and accountability. At some point there have to be consequences. He’s too good to waive, so the right thing to do would be to seek a trade. Ideally you get a 2nd, and a 3rd for sure.

Wish we had a Chris Neil type, someone who can actually play and fight, so we could use Hordi’s PB seat for a defenseman.

28. spoiler says:

Sorry, not AND a 3rd for sure, just the 3rd. ;o9

29. Captain Obvious says:

Ryan,

Everyone in Ottawa knows those stories. Whether they are true or not, who can say. For what it is worth they are told about Spezza as well and he sure seems like a fine player.

You should hear the story people tell about why Heatley wanted to leave.

Damien Cox just said the Oilers caved on the Taylor Hall contract. Wow. CAVE? I hope they do that with every kid who looks like him.

31. "Steve Smith" says:

I heard that Taylor Hall was sniffing around at possible offer sheets, but the best he was offered was Tom Gilbert AND a third.

32. Rebilled says:

spoiler,

The idea of Gomez going there for nothing makes me want him more! Damnit!

“Steve Smith”:

Man. Whatta guy.

34. misfit says:

Just looking at the numbers, it doesn’t seem like Redden’s AHL season last year is that far off of what Souray did when he was banished to the minors, and Souray has proven he’s definitely an NHL defenseman still (and a pretty decent top 4 option too).

The team who ends up signing Redden could end up adding a pretty good defenseman for peanuts.

35. RexLibris says:

I’d rather keep the 2d round pick and try to draft Jarry with it.

We could always try and trade Khabibulin for Kiprusoff. Feaster loves ’04 Lightning retreads.

36. Kris11 says:

Ideally you get a 2nd, and a 3rd for sure.

A second for Peckham?

What player that is comparable to Peckham yielded a second in the last, say, 5 years?

IMO, he’ll clear waivers.

37. Ribs says:

“Oilers are strangely quiet about Teddy Peckman, which I think means one of three things:”

4. Improve chances of him making it through waivers if need be.

Wade Redden? Oilers took a chance on a guy that was very similar not too long ago. He was nine years younger than Redden and it ended in disappointment. Sounds like a bad bet.

I’m hoping Corey Potter has had some kind of revelation in the off season as I look at the defence depth chart you’ve listed, LT. Maybe N.Schultz is primed for a career year of defensive play?

I just really hope they don’t ride the powerplay to playoffs and then end up losing everyone due to inflated numbers. Kreuger seems like a reasonable man. Disciplined hockey, please! Long-Term thinking, please!

38. Lucinius says:

It always amazes me that there’s no Lowetide hockey pools given how many armchair GMs we have who think they can do no wrong. Be somewhat amusing to see who’d beat who hereabouts.

39. spoiler says:

Kris11:
    Ideally you get a 2nd, and a 3rd for sure.

A second for Peckham?

IMO, he’ll clear waivers.

Kris, I don’t think there’s any chance he clears waivers. As for his value, I’m going based on the Fistric trade and Teddy being younger and cheaper with RFA years available. That said, trades only happen if people need what you’re selling, but I suspect that is so for dmen. Someone would be willing to risk the fitness issues, considering the rest of the package that is there… young dmen are long term projects. I think a 3rd would be pretty certain, as I said. Obviously that value ranges depending on how well he’s liked and if its more than one team.

I also think the Oil would IR him before testing your theory. They seem to have an aversion to the waiver wire.

40. stevezie says:

Ribs,

My pet theory is that the Oilers are trying to subtly but clearly indicate to the rest of the league that Peckham is a fat bum so they can sneak him through waivers and onto the farm team. I think they really want to carry eight D, but don’t want Theo sitting and eating up a roster spot. Remember, re-entry waivers are gone.

I think he clears waivers. Its a good plan.

41. FPB94 says:

You guys realize Gomez had a 1 year goal scoring drought right? All the while having PP and top line time right?

This feels like the Kyle Chipchura discussion.

I don’t think there’s any way Peckham clears waivers.

43. leadfarmer says:

GomeZ? Connely? Redden? WHAT, no, no, no, WTF, no. If you need bottom roster players pick a young guy from the waiver pooland see if you can teach him anything; not a washed up vet. Gomez had chances last year and got shut out by the whole NHL. Connely, maybe if Toronto eats most of his salary. Redden, we have enough bottom pairing guys we need someone higher up the food chain.

44. Chunklets says:

Speaking of veteran defencemen and the Oilers, Dick Tarnstrom, member of the Gang of 2006, has announced his retirement. A bad back was apparently the main culprit. He wasn’t in Edmonton for a long time, but it was (mostly) a good time!

45. Truth says:

I say put Peckham on waivers and hope he gets picked up. His negative influence is not needed in the organization. If there is a trade market for him I would pull the trigger on anything now. Doubt there is.

I believe Redden would be a direct replacement for Potter. And by that I mean a guy that is carried as a 7th defenceman who belongs in the AHL. Potter is junk, Redden is junk. How about an NHL defenceman to bolster the blueline instead?

Unfortunately Gomez isn’t a right fit for the Oilers either. Small center that would be better suited for scoring line minutes, not the big bruiser the Oilers need. They already have the 5 years ago version of Gomez, Gagner. If you can’t make an argument to play Gomez in a scoring role he is only dragging you down in a checking role.

Damien Cox is the hockey intellect equivalent of Mike Milbury. It used to irk me but I find it quite entertaining now.

On the bright side, Yakupov is a short couple of days away from lighting up the Canucks.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

misfit:

I had the same thought when Redden became available… maybe he’s slacking off in the AHL and will be back to form once tested… and Souray was my prime example too…

Souray was the big come back story last year and that is mostly all I remember because I don’t follow the Stars very closely…

But when you look at his entire season last year… it looks like he had a hot start and finished with roughly the same line as his AHL year:

2010-11 Hershey Bears AHL 40 4 15 19 85 +10
    2011-12 Dallas Stars NHL 64 6 15 21 73 +11

21 points was good enough for 82 best D (in scoring) in the NHL last year…

And if you look at his game log:

And… 13 of those points came in the first 14 games.

So… basically he had an amazingly hot start and then sputtered.

I have no idea what this might tell us about Redden’s chances to be effective… but I’ve completely re-evaluated all those pieces done last year around x-mas about Souray’s amazing return.

47. Ribs says:

stevezie:
    Ribs,

I think he clears waivers. Its a good plan.

I don’t believe they’re trying to get him through waivers right now and I don’t think he’d make it through if they were. If Taylor Chorney gets picked off easily, Peckham would be gone twice as quickly. I’m thinking down the road when they might have too many bodies and they’ll possibly need to try to sneak someone through. Being dodgy on his conditioning now might leave people wondering when/if that time comes.