RUNNING OF THE BULL

Lord have mercy on the teenager for sins real or imagined against the media. Nail Yakupov stands alone this morning against the knives of the keyboard and it could get ugly.

I don’t know where this started–draft, Russian pre-Christmas tour–but the media has decided Nail Yakupov is not like the good Canadian kids who populate the Oilers future:

cole

Cole’s comments, along with tweets by Terry Jones (“Yakupov doesn’t do interviews after another quiet game. Kid making people wonder on and off the ice”) Jim Matheson (“It’s time for Igor Larionov to tell his client Nail Yakupov that wearing the ‘C’ means you talk. Kid needs wake-up call”) gives you a rough idea about how the media reacts to being stood up with a deadline to publish approaching.

Now, I don’t know the rules and that’s a fact. I don’t know if the IIHF insists on the captain–or anyone–being available to the media after a game. I don’t know if Yakupov was available to other media–perhaps he was busy on Russian television–and I don’t know if other members of the Russian team were made available to the gathered English speaking media in Ufa.

As far as I know, Nail Yakupov remains the refreshing kid we saw at the draft, but you wouldn’t know it from the words being written over the last few weeks. I think this is the reason we as fans have to endure miles and miles of canned answers from sports personalities: they’ve been taught to do it by the media.

The first time I saw something that related to Yakupov’s spirit as being a negative was this article from Terry Jones,  with the lead line “that was awesome, but don’t do it again.” I’m not quite sure why the brilliance of Hall, Ebs and the Nuge are to be celebrated but the Russian rocket’s brilliance is beyond the pale, but believe there’s some kind of bias at play here.

What can we do about it? Make signs to display at games, call in to talk shows, tweet to Nail directly. Jason Arnott was run out of this town for making the mistakes of youth once upon a time, and he’s Canadian. God knows what will happen to the Russian teenager, but one hopes he doesn’t change one damn bit. Arrogant? FABULOUS! Think you’re better than everyone? BEAUTIFUL!  I genuinely believe this is one area where the fans can make a difference. Make a sign, show up at TC and let ‘em know you’re there.

93 Responses to "RUNNING OF THE BULL"

1. hungoverman says:

I hope that if one if the old fart writers in YEG (Jones for example) bug nail that oil management step in. The msm in this town all seem to me like snotty pricks. Jones and Matheson are IMO the most snotty.

2. PunjabiOil says:

Yakupov will win over the fans and media in time.

I hope.

On another note, am I correct in that these 3 points don’t show up on Khaira’s statistics?

Michigan Tech claimed their first GLI title since 1980 in stunning fashion, shutting out Michigan 4-0 in the semi-final game before doing the same to Western Michigan in the championship game. And the Huskies didn’t miss a beat without top goal scorer Blake Pietila (NJD) either. This year also marked the first time since 1980 that the title game did not feature either Michigan or Michigan State. Freshman Phoenix Copley was brilliant between the pipes for Michigan Tech, stopping all 70 combined shots he faced to earn the tournament’s MVP honor. Teammate Jujhar Khaira (EDM) joined Copley on the All-Tournament team after his best weekend outing of the season so far. The Surrey, BC native posted three points (a power-play goal and two assists) in the opener versus Michigan and his strong net presence wreaked havoc on both the Wolverines and the Broncos throughout the tournament

3. borisnikov says:

Better yet if it was Hall who said something to Jones. That would show some real gumption and would go miles in the dressing room. What fan is going to listen to fatso if Hall shows him up.

4. 3rdlinecentre says:

borisnikov,

I think this is a great point. As much as us fans might be sick of the the MSM’s portrayal of Yakupov his teammates are the right place to start to change that perspective.

5. stevezie says:

Nail hasn’t even done anything yet! It’s one thing to crucify an eighteen year-old for the sins of youth, it is another entirely to blast the guy because he seems like the sort who might go on to commit those sins.
    Did NHLers washing out of Russia teach us nothing? Cultural adjustment is a really, really big deal. I feel like Kanye melting down at an awards show. Can’t the Canadian Media give a Russian man a chance?

Remember when the media started hatcheting Hemsky and the word was they were softening the public up for a trade? Should we take the rush to discredit Nail as a sign?

Don’t mind me, I’m just pissed because poor Samuel L. got absolutely robbed! Robbed! of an Oscar nod. And now this! Slapshot is right, it is embarrassing!

6. OilClog says:

Potential Prima Donna.. wake up calls.. I would say the MSM needs the wake up call, is there anyway Gerry D or Cabbie could take over the MSM in Oil Country? May not be the most informative, but we will get some laughs, learn some weird tidbits, and see several awkward moments. That or a fight to the death between the MSM and whoever is left standing, well you’ll have some of my respect.

7. hunter1909 says:

On the assumption that from Katz downward, management has proven itself suspect in many things.

How Yakupov fares is their responsibility.

The shining light on top of the hill imo, is pope Tambellini who steadfastly refuses to trade anyone away. I’m serious, this is good. Read the moronic HF Board offers, usually starting with Eberle/Yakupov for relatively mediocre roster players plus picks and prospects. In other words, they think they’re going to steal the team’s best players so their fave shit teams(that’s anything not oilers btw) can do their thing.

Wtf is he, 19? Unless they’re absolute dickheads, Edmonton is going to be a wonderful place for young Yaks to follow his life’s dream.

I like the idea of running a beauty contest for Edmonton area chicks who want to date any of the top five.

8. borisnikov says:

hunter1909,

hunter1909:

How Yakupov fares is their responsibility.

Or a contest to see who wants to carry their children. That’ll anchor those boys down!

9. oilgeek says:

Why would anyone want to dampen Yakupov’s spirit? Remember how badly Theo Fleury was hated, now we got our own version to drive other teams nuts. You’re supposed to hate these guys when they’re on someone else’s team, and love them when they’re on your own!

10. russ99 says:

So annoyed at this idea that a kid can’t be headstrong, and can’t speak his mind, rather conform and do whatever everyone else does. Shut your mouth and fall in line.

And yes, this is akin to what drove Omark out of town, only he was a third rounder and not as much of an embarassment to the front office to punt away.

11. Radman says:

I think hockey fans here in YEG are sophisticated enough to make up their own minds about Yak or anyone else. Report the facts. We can watch the interviews and make up our own minds guys. Like most, I am sick of the canned responses, and tune them out. Don’t mind a bit of swagger, as long as you back it up with performance.

So Yak has passed on the opportunity to chat with you post game, and that puts your knickers in a knot. So who’s the arrogant one in this equation ?

12. hunter1909 says:

PunjabiOil,

Sound like my fave Oilers prospect not going to the NHL this season is some kind of a big game player, because Michigan’s college hockey teams really hate each other. A lot.

13. hunter1909 says:

russ99: I guess a hockey player can only say what he thinks if he has years of stats to back it up…

Omark talked it up and then failed to deliver. Then he keeps talking it up, except now he’s starring in the Swiss League.

Yakupov is a

14. Jason Gregor says:

LT,

I’ve been in Yakupov’s corner from day one on this. He wanted to focus on hockey at WJC, I have no problem with it. He’s always been gracious with his time when in Canada. It isn’t an issue. And I truly don’t care if he speaks daily to the media, I’ll critique his on-ice play not his quotes or lack of play.

I thought Cole was off-base on Yakupov as well as his assertion after the WJC that suddenly hockey isn’t OUR game anymore…but that’s a different story.

15. jonrmcleod says:

Terry Jones just tweeted:

For those who seem to be worried, I’m expecting the engaging Nail Yakupov here at prospects camp not the guy from Subway Series and Ufa.

16. hunter1909 says:

Omark talked it up and then failed to deliver. Then he keeps talking, except now he’s starring in the Swiss League.

Yakupov is a FIRST OVERALL PICK. So far he’s looking like covering the bet.

There’s really a big difference.

17. hunter1909 says:

Radman,

Bingo. I know journalists aplenty, and they’re only one or two levels removed from the people they write about. Some of them(like Piers Morgan) jump the shark all the way, thus proving their innate avarice, lol.

Jason Gregor:

LT,

You’re absolutely right, Jason. I should have said “some” media and I did see a couple of your tweets when doing a search for the Cole item above. Should have been clear about media members who have been supportive and fair, such as yourself.

19. hunter1909 says:

Jason Gregor,

You’re an enjoyable to read journalist, imo. One of the good guys for sure, whenever I peruse the latest official Oilers newspeak.

20. Bushed says:

Lots of great comments here–good to see that so many fans in Edmonton do in fact “get it”.

I already posted my displeasure with the media on the ON site.

Interesting that Jones has already pulled back from earlier comments–let’s see if Matheson and Cole are humble enough to do the same. I doubt it. Jones has popped off before, but at least he has the sense to admit when he’s been wrong. Can’t say the same for Matheson, and frankly have never understood the HOF thing for him–he was privy to some inside info along the way, but never found his writing to be very insightful, knowledgeable, or entertaining.

Ignore them, Nail. We’re on your side.

21. raventalon40 says:

Cam Cole is one of those guys who thinks his gut feeling is superior to your gut feeling.

Screw what’s rational – right?

22. Zipdot says:

PunjabiOil: Freshman Phoenix Copley was brilliant between the pipes for Michigan Tech, stopping all 70 combined shots he faced to earn the tournament’s MVP honor. Teammate Jujhar Khaira (EDM) joined Copley on the All-Tournament team after his best weekend outing of the season so far. The Surrey, BC native posted three points (a power-play goal and two assists) in the opener versus Michigan and his strong net presence wreaked havoc on both the Wolverines and the Broncos throughout the tournament

Yesssss! JUDGED BY JUJHAR!

23. loosemoose says:

Why does this not surprise me? Listening to the radio shows and reading the paper needs to be done carefully in Edmonton……

Too often, fairweather-fans are swayed by the “experts” in our esteemed media. I mean, Will Fraser thought the Penguins should maybe consider trading Crosby after their first round exit last spring…….okay then….

Lowetide…….you are the reasonable voice that calms this old fan down. Whether I agree or not, there is no bias, or agenda with you…..even when you can tell you are writining as a fan, you temper the mood, so as to appease all of your readers……

IMO, you could teach a HHOF writer a thing or two….

24. jfry says:

A few comments…

1) increasingly, there seems to be a gulf with how people use blogs/twitter to communicate — there’s a portion of the old guard who thinks that twitter allows them to express editorial that would have been slashed for a paper. It’s off putting and a cheap “headline” creation move. It’s unfortunate.

2) is there still hold over from the Cold War with some of these guys? There were all sorts of comments about how hall needed his head greased to get in the door sometimes, but the msm never spoke to it, just people at redline report and hockey prospectus. I hope yak doesn’t suffer from ignorant historical beliefs by others.

3) msm seems to believe that their only advantage over the bloggers is their “access” but increasingly it’s made their reporting weaker and given them a sense of entitlement and opinion that I feel has more to do with their supposed position than actual reporting. I would ban all the negative nancies from my facility — see how they like that! You’re a positive force or you’re not. These old guys are increasingly only about the negative, to the point where there’s no value in reading them.

4) what happened to cam cole? He’s gone for all world reporter to the equivalent of a SUN hack in the last few years?

5) thank god for the oilogosphere!

25. borisnikov says:

loosemoose:

IMO, you could teach a HHOF writer a thing or two….

High praise but well deserved.

26. Captain Obvious says:

The lack of self-reflection people like Staples and the rest of the newspaper hacks have is remarkable. It’s pretty clear from a distance that they form their opinions on players are formed well in advance of watching them play, and that these opinions are influenced by a complex combination of bias I call the Omarkian vortex. Namely, anti-skill, anti-small, anti-European, anti-low draft picks.

Now Yakupov doesn’t fulfill all of those criteria so he has a chance, however it isn’t true that his play will determine his fate. He doesn’t just have to score, he has to score more than the other players. We saw this film last year with Hemsky whom the literati and the fanbase hates. Throw in the fact that he’s starting the race years behind in age and development and I’m not optimistic what’s going to happen the first time he starts to struggle.

The writing is on the wall already. Compare the love that Hopkins gets (easily the worst player of the four). With the salary cap this team can’t afford to keep everyone. Two years from now Yakupov will be the least popular and least successful (due to age and playing time) of the young Oilers and will be traded.* It’s Edmonton destiny.

27. Oilanderp says:

I suppose if some of these negative MSM personalities were wildlife photographers they would bad mouth the lions for not showing up for the perfect picture at the deadline. Stupid lions, don’t they know their whole existence is solely for the magazine? Dumb animals, indeed.

28. hunter1909 says:

Captain Obvious,

You’re not exactly an optimist are you?

I was like that back when the Dallas Stars would roll out Modano/Zubov/Hatcher/Hull etc etc to pulverize the EIG mini-oilers.

I’ve met Linus Omark a couple of times as a random Oiler fan, and am not at all surprised that he failed to make it in Gretzky-land. A combination of: Too small, too old to learn, not skilled enough to instantly shine and therefore buy time. I’ve also got a cousin who played Canadian Major Junior, a hulking great lunk at 6 3 who in his particular case failed to make the NHL, arguably because of injuries. There are many ways to fuck up an NHL dream, is all.

29. sliderule says:

The mainstream media are not the only people who can turn on players see some of comments on Internet on Gagner.

Nail is a lot like Hall in that he wears his feelings on his sleeve.At the WJC until the final game he wasn’t playing up to either his own or media expectations.It’s understandable that at those times it’s sometimes better to cool off rather than talk to media.

I think the young guns can help him thru some of the inevitable criticism that he will get as they have gone thru the expectation spotlight.

30. voxwah says:

It will be really funny this year when Van trades Lou and then Schneider craps the bed. He doesn’t have the track record behind him yet to go all in on. Its a bet I can easily see Van losing. Lots of goalies in the past have looked great their first season or so only to fade off. Look at Chris Mason as an example. Not to mention that Schneider has not even been a full time starter at all yet. Very risky move to make when Van is in a short win now window that could close quite quickly.

N64 rocks and will shut up all the critics the minute he steps onto the ice for his first game. #1′s have way too much moxie to be denied.

31. tanyac says:

Poor kid. Can’t win for trying. I’m guessing he clammed up at the Juniors after his “Canadians are dirty” comment exploded all over the place.

Seeing this guy play at the prospects camp in Sherwood park was one of the highlights of my summer. Made me excited for hockey again. He’s so skilled and loves the game so much. It might come off as cocky or arrogant but the kid backs it up with solid, wonderfully creative play.

Let’s see… if you were a young Russian player, coming up through at this time in hockey history who would you emulate? Ovechkin maybe? The ultimate showman/entertainer? The guy who looked like an over eager puppy on the ice while he scored in amazing numbers? Do we really want to quash that spirit before he even pays a game? Jeez.

32. raventalon40 says:

It’s funny that Staples talks about the use of the straw man fallacy because that’s exactly what he’s doing himself. What I got from what LT said is he’s talking about Canadian MSM expectations of players in general. I don’t think he mentioned or targeted the Edmonton media specifically. Just commenters here may have mentioned the names of guys like Jones or whoever else.

Like, we want them all to be boring like Sidney Crosby, and not funny like Evander Kane or Nail Yakupov. If any other young kid was pretending to pay homage to Floyd Mayweather using stacks of cash in Las Vegas on their Twitter nobody would think twice about it. It’s okay for Canadians to call other players from other teams embellishers and divers, but when the Canadians do the diving and do the embellishing, no stories are written and no banners are raised.

I don’t think he should give the canned answers and make the jobs of all these journalists easy. I say give em something to report.

33. Captain Obvious says:

hunter1909,

I don’t go to a lot of games. I went to one last year in February and all I could hear from the regulars around me were complaints about Hemsky. I thought he was playing great but the puck didn’t go in and so he was a bum. This is the fanbase we are dealing with. They are sheep who accept whatever the media tells them, i.e. Hemsky is lazy, first one off the ice, etc. etc.

The fact that this has started before Yakupov has played a single game doesn’t bode well.

34. raventalon40 says:

Captain Obvious:
    hunter1909,

I don’t go to a lot of games.I went to one last year in February and all I could hear from the regulars around me were complaints about Hemsky.I thought he was playing great but the puck didn’t go in and so he was a bum.This is the fanbase we are dealing with.They are sheep who accept whatever the media tells them, i.e. Hemsky is lazy, first one off the ice, etc. etc.

That’s true of every sport, though. Every fanbase has the same characters:

- the jubilant fan who watches every game and buys every jersey
    - the business man/woman who is too busy to follow but has the free corporate seats or streams it from his laptop on trips
    - the occasional fan (some supportive wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/friend) who doesn’t follow sports but likes to watch sometimes (is Hemsky #93, they ask)
    - the guy who hasn’t followed the Oilers since before the 90′s (is Doug Weight still playing, he asks)
    - the angry love/hate relationship fan (see the s*** Edmontonians say video)
    - the regurgitates what he hears on MSM fan
    - the “takes the opposite position” as everyone else fan (we all know a few)
    - the trade everyone for a bag of pucks guy

I think the only difference between hockey and other sports is how we expect young athletes should address the media.

35. Captain Obvious says:

Terry Jones just tweeted that Yakupov was the first guy on the ice. Hilarious.

36. raventalon40 says:

Captain Obvious:
    Terry Jones just tweeted that Yakupov was the first guy on the ice.Hilarious.

Terry Jones is the “angry love/hate relationship fan”

37. Kris11 says:

The difference between Arnott and Yakupov is that they both know Jones is a fat loser who is jealous, but Nail will say it himself, publically, and it will be awesome.

I suspect Yakupov won’t need defending in public,

But yeah, Hall should come out and tell Jones he’s a fat loser, with a losers’ attitude, And no one cares what he thinks. Because Jones is a fat annoying loser with nothing of value to say. (It would help if he were a good writer or knew something about the game of hockey.)

IMO, the long knives will come out for whoever doesn’t live up to the hype, including Hall or Eberle. That will happen to any of the super friends if they stumble even a bit. Jones and the media don’t lead these things; they follow the group, which starts with the idiot fans in the nosebleeds who complain about Horcoff’s 7MM cap hit ot how Gilbert sucks cause they think he is gay and won’t hit (ridiculous on so many levels).

38. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

@sunterryjones First guy on the ice … Nail Yakupov.

BULLSHEEEEET. Even when he’s trying to suck up its just lazy memes. Self indulgent. Pampered. And don’t get me started on Jones’s body language.

39. justDOit says:

Because I can’t comment on the Staples article (I don’t facebook – but it’s nice to see that COH ‘encourages feedback’…), I’ll put something down here.

The MSM is not strong enough to run a player out of town? Look how close they were to running Hemsky last season, with all the negative press about body language and work ethic. And do we really know what went on with Gilbert? I know the fans might be as much to blame in that case, but there’s a limit to what a player can take – being called soft and being a shot-block leader would drive anyone nuts.

40. Lois Lowe says:

I just hope that the Edmonton media can do the world a favor and start pronouncing his name correctly. If there is one thing the lockout taught me, it’s that North Americans absolutely butcher Russian names.

41. Kris11 says:

But yes, the same fans who think Gilbert is a wussy or that Horcoff makes 7MM are also often racist against Russians.

Finally, I am disturbed that many Canadians are unable to see that our world famous Canadian faux-politeness (and there is an inauthenticity in the way that we Canadians comport ourselves that we call polite, if we must be honest) is not the only way of being virtuous. You can be brash and virtuous or fun and outgoing and virtuous or dour and virtuous. Not everyone need be like Joe Sakic.

42. bookje says:

On Terry Jones – The guy is clearly trying this morning to respond to the negative feedback. Good for him – if the media begins to realize that their little media games have real world consequences that’s great.

43. Kris11 says:

Staples is a fat loser, too. But he will begin shilling for the party line as he always does, as he did on the arena debate,

44. Kris11 says:

Staples in that piece quoted here says something like the kids at the world juniors have a duty to talk to the media.

Uh huh.

Teenage kids. They leave their friends and family at Christmas. Playing with pride for their country. Worried about letting their country down. They don’t get paid. Conduct the,selves with dignity. (Except tsome of the thuggish Canadians.)

And Staples wants them to do more interviews.

That Russian team was struggling on home ice and its players were stressed out. Blaming them for not talking enough to the media is insane.

45. striatic says:

i think Staples is half right in that the print media can’t really force an issue. blogs have more power in that respect now.

but broadcast media, both radio and tv, still totally have the ability to shift the narrative within a fan base.

46. stevezie says:

Kris11,

Staples was critical of the arena deal in most of the writing I saw. He was pushing for the city to try and get more from Katz, and liked to interview that Humphries guy from the UofA who has loudly and convincingly argued that the Team does not generate any local revenue, it just redirects it.
    Plus I don’t think I’d call Staples MSM, he is a blogger.

47. bookje says:

Kris – Staples has been both critical of and supportive of different Oiler positions. The guy speaks his mind and does so in a public way with his real name attached to it. I think he deserves credit for that.

48. Lois Lowe says:

I think that saying Yakpov should just come out and give canned answers to canned questions is preposterously simplistic. I can only imagine how hard it must be to give interviews in your second or third language. Do any of the English kids from Canada ever do media in French or Russian? Didn’t think so.

49. Oilanderp says:

Lois Lowe,

I was really really hoping they would adopt the correct pronunciation of Yakupov’s name at the World Juniors… alas I was disappointed. They got MaKARov right, yet failed with YaKUpov. I hope Jack Michaels tries his best this year.

50. bookje says:

I predict the next Terry Jones Tweet to be

Yakupov’s body language the best of all the guys on the ice #overdoingit

51. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

bookje,

Leave the salacious stuff for PM.

52. stevezie says:

Oilanderp,

I agree. Na-eel Yak-U-pov. Not that hard once you hear it.

53. FPB94 says:

Old bitter men hating on a young one.

Sports media can be so cancerous at times. Sometime I wonder where the desire for objectivity went. No I don’t want your opinion ; I can think for myself, just report what’s relevant.

BTW: In MTL they go down to the locker rooms and ask the players how their named is pronounced.

Like Vokoun is VoKon and not Vocoon, same thing for Plekanets instead of Plekaneck (Plekanec)

Patrick Roy got angry about that one time IIRC lol.

54. Bruce McCurdy says:

jonrmcleod:
    Terry Jones just tweeted:

I guess the difference is when he’s playing for “us” and not for “them”?

55. tanyac says:

Lois Lowe:

This is a huge beef for me. Numerous people throwing questions at an 18 year old speaking his second, or in his case likely third, language and they expect his answers to be impeccable and inoffensive from word one. Media also ask complicated compound questions, expecting guys to be able to parse what’s being said and follow along… makes me crazy!!

That said, hearing the scrum today made me think he’ll be pretty fun in interviews – he’s quick and funny.

You know, those qualities we use to forgive guys like Whitney or Marty Reasoner for their limits on the ice.

56. striatic says:

“Yakupov responds “here at the rink” when asked where he’s staying in Edmonton. Says he wants to live in the dressing room.”

how can you not love this guy? freakin’ adorable.

57. Bruce McCurdy says:

raventalon40: I’m not saying Yakupov was right in saying what he said, but I don’t think the number of suspensions in the tournament served to prove him wrong either.

For that matter, CANADIANS PLAY DIRTY — NEWS FLASH (not). There is more than a little truth in that, or especially in the Russian interpreter’s version that players from anywhere can play dirty. For sure Yakupov experienced first-hand what Canadian players are capable of, having played 13 games against Canada in the last 13 months and being the centre of attention a time or two along the way. So even if that’s really what he said, so what.

Some of the cultural differences are simply expectations. In North America we expect the captain to face the media at every turn, as RNH did after those two disappointing losses, even as he cited chapter and verse from the Nuke Laloosh Book of Sports Cliches. In Europe they select team representatives after each game and the captain is just one of those players, not The Spokesman. I saw that first-hand at the WJC last year; different players for media availability after each game.

So Yak wanted to focus on hockey? I’m OK with that. He’ll speak his mind plenty in the years to come, and I’ll be stunned if he ever turns into the Russian Nuke Laloosh.

58. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I hope Na-eel Yak-U-pov doesn’t answer one bloody question from the Fat Man for the rest of the year!

“Do you know where your Russian is” Brutal!!! Egotistical.

Yak-U-pov made the Fat Man look ridicules when he showed up at the YEG airport.

59. Bruce McCurdy says:

tanyac: Numerous people throwing questions at an 18 year old speaking his second, or in his case likely third, language and they expect his answers to be impeccable and inoffensive from word one.

In Yakupov’s case, his first language appears to be trash talk.

60. Rocknrolla says:

Well put Bruce, I think a lot got lost in translation…Try Taylor Hall giving an interview in Russian and see what they quote over there…WOW

61. Lois Lowe says:

Can we also drop the fat bashing while we’re at it? Attack Jones’ writing and attitude, not his physical attributes. If a small waist size is the measure of man’s character, then I am pretty much perfect. And that, I am not.

62. jimbones100 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Love this video of Yak. Watched it many times. “Russia won, see you next time”. Fantastic.

As previous mentioned, I believe that Oilers Management (includes Ralph, Kevin, Tambo) need to take a page from Brian Burke and make it very clear that if the mainstream media think they are going to take shots at young Yakupov there will be repercussions. The team has a responsibility to protect its players when they receive unfair critisim. As fans I also think that Lowetide is correct twitter and other venues provides us the venue to also voice our collective opinion and we should do that.

63. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

How is that trash talking? That’s the absolute truth!

“We Win”

When the Oilers win the cup and he says the same thing are you going to call it trash talk or a celebratory victory speech?

64. bookje says:

Lois Lowe:
    Can we also drop the fat bashing while we’re at it? Attack Jones’ writing and attitude, not his physical attributes.If a small waist size is the measure of man’s character, then I am pretty much perfect. And that, I am not.

Fully agree. Let’s limit our criticisms of people to the actions that are relevant. Body shape, accent, hair style, etc is not relevant.

65. raventalon40 says:

Wes Mantooth-11:
    Bruce McCurdy,

How is that trash talking? That’s the absolute truth!

“We Win”

Yeah, especially since reporters kept asking him if he was surprised that they won, and that’s a strange question to ask someone who just won, when expecting to win.

66. raventalon40 says:

Bruce McCurdy: Thing is, we still don’t know for sure what he said. He was (mis?)quoted in the English language version of R-Sport as saying Canadians “play dirty”, but according to Peter Adler, who among many other things was once a certified interpreter by profession, in the original Russian language quote the key word was “grubo”, which means “rough”. CANADIANS PLAY ROUGH — NEWS FLASH (not). The possible misquote was right at the source, and the Canadian media & fanbase responded to it like it was gospel. Some of us bloggers did too.

Interesting take.

67. jp says:

Yes, this!

I also wonder if the nationwide negative coverage that his “quote” received could have contributed to his not wanting to talk to the media after that (if he was ever expected to in the first place).

Also, trash talk or not, that’s a great video of Yakupov. Looking forward to more of that around the Oilers.

Captain Obvious:

They must be doing it on purpose now.

Incredible!

68. Bruce McCurdy says:

Wes Mantooth-11: How is that trash talking? That’s the absolute truth!

I guess you couldn’t see the twinkle in my eye when I wrote “trash talk”. I roared when I saw that video for the first time, long before Yakupov was “ours”. Delightful.

69. Kris11 says:

I apologize sincerely for the use of “fat” as an insult. My bad. Nothing wrong with being a bit overweight and it was biggoted and small minded of me to say otherwise.

Staples is a tool, though, and his defense of the arena project is and was a joke.

I’m tired of pulling punches with the MSM.

70. justDOit says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Thanks for that, Bruce.

I suspected that Nail’s quote might not have escaped the former Iron Curtain intact. But like Ahmadinejad’s UN speech where he was quoted as saying he wanted to wipe a certain country off the map, the mis-interpretation circled the globe in a micro-second, while the correction appeared on a back-page of the NYT days later.

71. justDOit says:

Kris11,

Thanks for that. I share your frustration and could see it bubbling beneath the surface of your comments.

72. Bruce McCurdy says:

Kris11: But there is plenty wrong with being a talentless loser picking on a good talented kid like Yakupov as Matheson, or Staples, or whoever are doing.

Maybe you should read what Staples has actually been writing about Yakupov before you tar and feather him on the subject.

73. justDOit says:

Captain Obvious:

They must be doing it on purpose now.

That’s a great picture. He’s moving pretty good with that parachute, and that’s not a small ‘chute either. I haven’t seen anyone do this since Bure.

Wouldn’t most people be trying to catch up on their sleep after getting off a plane from Tartar?

74. justDOit says:

justDOit,

Yikes – I don’t know how I got my text in that post to look like it was quoted. Good grief.

75. Marc says:

Great piece on Grantland today that is somewhat apropos of this thread:

76. stevezie says:

justDOit,

That lousy Russian must really be screwing up to get held after practise on his first day in town.

77. M Parkatti says:

I did some research with regard to LT’s last post, specifically how Justin Schultz could do this year. I looked how AHL Dmen making the transition to the NHL fare, and formulated a model to figure it all out. In the end, I think predictions on Schultz’ year could be quite low. The model is predicting him to get 33 points this year. His 1.41 PPG scoring rate in the AHL is massive, historic, absolutely unseen in the AHL. I’ve even produced a variable to describe what impact lockouts have on Dmen’s performance.

Oh, and LT, I’ve produced a raw NHLE for defencemen entering the NHL from the AHL, 0.47. My full equation is a much better predictor, but that will work quick and dirty…

78. stevezie says:

Don’t forget Schultz had an advantage in the A he won’t have in the show: he was passing to the best wingers in the league.

79. DeadmanWaking says:

I’m hoping we hear that interview (“we win”) thirty more times before the nail-biting begins. It’ll never get old.

80. Wolfpack says:

Technology has given everyone a voice. So the passionate fans who have always believed they could do a better job of covering their beloved team now have multiple venues from which to attack the MSM. It was inevitable that this was going to happen. Let’s insult the MSM – all the kids are doing it.

Maybe some of you should take a step back and put yourselves into the shoes of an MSM Sports reporter today. If they give an opinion that in any way goes against the fanbase, they are slammed. If they don’t, they are labeled as team shills who are afraid of losing their “access”. Exactly how are they supposed to come out as winners in this situation? Report only what everyone wants to hear?

There are a lot of smart, insightful posters here, which is why I have been visiting this blog for many years. Over time I like some reporters, I am not a fan of others. I like some bloggers, and think a few others are imbiciles. But instead of attacking the MSM reporters, how about showing a bit of empathy for someone who is going to be tarred and feathered regardless of what opinion they express? Everyone is so quick to rush to the players’ defence.

I know there are a number of posters here whose hatred of the MSM seems to be burned into their soul, like the paperboy kicked their dog or something, but most of you are better than this.
    Does anyone really think a player would be so sensitive and thin-skinned as to run away crying because a reporter thinks, as Captain, that player should do an interview after the game? Really?
    Seems like we are making a mountain out of a molehill in order to crap on the MSM yet again. Can we get back to talking hockey now?

81. FPB94 says:

Wolfpack: At the base, reporters aren’t supposed to give their opinion. (Well journalists) Objectivity.

82. M Parkatti says:

stevezie:

This is true, and it’s hard to control for the quality of teammates over history. The influence of that would probably only knock a handful of points off his mark in the NHL though, which would still leave him above the predictions of Cullen and LT. I guess I just wanted to show the possibility that he really could be in for a better year than people think. The AHL was a quality league this year, like a super AHL. And he still tore it up to an epic degree. That is an outlier of outliers. I hope he can convert on the promise….

83. hunter1909 says:

DeadmanWaking:
    I’m hoping we hear that interview (“we win”) thirty more times before the nail-biting begins.It’ll never get old.

I’ll raise that to 150 dollars in gold.

I’m saying the Oilers recently have rocketed up the collective estimation of fans from around the league…the Atlantic Division fans who generally I talk to think Oilers are due to win 50 games, or 30 games in the coming mini-season.

Personally, it appears that Oilers are going to either cover that particular bet, or else crash and burn and then it’s meet Seth Jones for the next decade of Oiler-fan Nirvana 2.0

MEMO TO KATZ: Someone really needs to understand in a hurry just how fucking obvious Kevin Lowe’s particularly Irish version of greasy fingers were, with the previous announcement that the team was on the verge of doing a “Major Trade” – FFS Please stop airing the ongoing corporation business plan to the fucking media, like it’s some kind of publicity opportunity.

84. bookje says:

Wolfpack:

There are a lot of smart, insightful posters here, which is why I have been visiting this blog for many years. Over time I like some reporters, I am not a fan of others. I like some bloggers, and think a few others are imbiciles. But instead of attacking the MSM reporters, how about showing a bit of empathy for someone who is going to be tarred and feathered regardless ofwhat opinion they express? Everyone is so quick to rush to the players’ defence.

Wolfpack, I don’t hate anybody or anything. What I sometimes critique is the quality of the work that some of the more established MSM people do. The reality is that some of these guys have been resting on their laurels for about 15 years or more now. They established themselves long ago and may have been good reporters/columnists/journalists, however, now some of them do little more than push out poorly informed commentary. When I mark assignments for students, I sometimes use the phrase “This appears to have been written in haste with little effort put into it”. I think that applies to a lot of what we see. Guys like LT and others at ON and elsewhere do far more insightful and informed work than the well paid, established reporters.

Even worse, some of them do engage in ‘picking goats’ and establishing the narrative. Sometimes there is a bit of truth to it, but they jump on they player like coyotes on a wounded deer and make sure that the player has no chance to overcome the challanges they are facing.

Not all of them, I find that Staples does a good job. He does provide an opinion, but that is his hob as a columnist.

85. Oilanderp says:

Maybe why some of us are a bit quick to jump on the MSM is because we have been conditioned to expect more from them. They are the professionals, after all. They are the message physicians, the news doctors, the priests of priveleged information about our coveted stars and idols that we do not have access to.

When they seem to abuse that access by engaging in what is sometimes nothing more than rumour-mongering and childish talking-behind-the-back of those stars who provide their livelihood…. it gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

86. FPB94 says:

Oilanderp:
    Maybe why some of us are a bit quick to jump on the MSM is because we have been conditioned to expect more from them.They are the professionals, after all.They are the message physicians, the news doctors, the priests of priveleged information about our coveted stars and idols that we do not have access to.

When they seem to abuse that access by engaging in what is sometimes nothing more than rumour-mongering and childish talking-behind-the-back of those stars who provide their livelihood….it gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

Exactly. Quality and objectivity seem to go away way too often.

87. voxwah says:

bookje: Fully agree.Let’s limit our criticisms of people to the actions that are relevant.Body shape, accent, hair style, etc is not relevant.

Totally agree as well unless its sideburns. You can pick those apart all you want.

88. Ryan says:

That’s a stretch dude.

Everyone and their dog knows that the top bloggers in this niche have supplanted the nonsense the MSM cranks out long ago.

The comparison between bloggers like Lowetide, MC79Hockey, Bruce Mccurdy, Jonathan Willis vs. MSM–Terry Jones, Cam Cole, and Jim Matheson is so funny it brings tears to my eyes.

As for the Yakupov controversy. If you can’t do something well (write, opine) you can get just as much or more attention by saying something controversial or just plain stupid. This is a case in point right here (re: Yakupov criticism).

Oilanderp:

89. Oilanderp says:

Maybe we should hereto refer to them as the ASM (alternative sports media) instead of MSM.

90. jb says:

Wolfpack:

Can you expain the Hemsky bs last year? That’s when I went from not really caring about the Edmonton media to strongly disliking a large portion of em. We’re talking a loyal soldier who’s been here since day 1.. The one glimmer of hope this team had for quite a few years.. Re-signed a reasonable deal, yet they jump all over him. It was relentless…

Where’s all that talk now? Oh wait they moved on to Nail. Pathetic.

91. Schitzo says:

My two cents: If the Oilers really do have the media as well-trained as everybody says, the team should deliver the ultimatum that Yak gets the kid glove treatment this season, with the implied threat that access will be lost by those who don’t play ball.

What’s the point of having a tame media if you can’t actually lean on them when it matters?