SHARKS AT OILERS G2 (12-13) 22.1.13

I’ve been a fan of the Oilers since forever, and honestly Sunday night was one of the really fun nights in forever. Not the ’06 run or the Stanley’s or the first season in the NHL–actually, it does feel a little like that one. Quite a bit, actually. It was kind of a “birth” into the league of tradition and history, that’s if the NHL cared diddly about its own history.

A few things both teams have in common:

1. Shawn Horcoff is in a similar role to Stan Weir 1979-80.
  2. The current Oilers have two teenagers (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov) and the 1979-80 edition also had two teenagers (Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier).
  3. The current Oilers have some injuries. Nikolai Khabibulin, Andy Sutton, Ryan Jones and Theo Peckham are all unable to perform. The 1979-80 edition of the Oilers had all kinds of early season troubles involving Brett Callighen, Pat Price, Stan Weir and Ron Chipperfield. The earlier group ended up employing 40 players that season.
  4. In the fall of 1979, the Oilers goaltending situation was complete chaos. Part of the problem came from their veteran incumbent–Dave Dryden–who finally pulled the chute at Christmastime. Now, Nikolai Khabibulin can write his own script and perhaps he comes back and plays at a very high level, but his inability to recover from injury in time for the season–and his impending free agent status–means that the Oilers are going to be looking to add a goaltender. In Christmas 1979, Jim Corsi was called up but the organization eventually used six goalies that season, including Ron Low who was acquired late in the season.
  5. The Oilers left the station unsettled in their bottom 6 forwards, and in early December attempted to make a move when acquiring veteran winger Bobby Schmautz. Schmautz was filthy, I don’t know if there’s a comp in modern hockey. He’d spear an opponent and then punch him if no one noticed the spear. They got him from Boston for Dan Newman and dealt him to Colorado in Feb for Don Ashby, and that would have been a trade for the ages but Don Asby died in a car accident driving to Kamloops from Wichita in 1981 late spring. The current Oilers have some  3 and 4line issues–or at least we thought so–but that 1979-80 Oiler team had some guys in the lineup they thought would be players but it didn’t happen (Cam Connor, Dan Newman, Kari Makkonen, others).
  6. The odds of someone getting waived this season is pretty high. Peckham, Khabibulin, Potter, it’s probably going to happen. It happened in 1979-80, as winger Peter Driscoll grew tired of sitting.
  7. There have been rumors about the Oilers being interested in making a deal with the Canucks. Although rare, there was talk about Rick Blight coming to the city in 1979-80; not quite Luongo but he had a solid NHL career.
  8. The 1979-80 Oilers were in real trouble in the goaltending spot pretty much from the time they left the station.  At the deadline, Edmonton sent away Ron Chipperfield to Quebec for veteran Ron Low–this was the same deadline as the historic Butch Goring-to-the-Islanders deal.

Steve Simmons tweeted this morning that Cam Cole has confirmation that a deal for Luongo is in place:

• Gillis says he has trade in place for Luongo re @rcamcole barring some shoes to drop and I can confirm deal he talks about isn’t with Leafs.

I don’t think its the Oilers, but Steve Tambellini has Canuck connections, spent a wild amount of money on a genuinely aged goaltender in Khabibulin, and has enough parts to satisfy the Canucks (Gagner, others).

Ben Eager had some issues after Sunday night’s game, one suspects he’ll be fine and the club may stay with the same 20 men who played in Vancouver. HS’s would be Paajarvi, Hordichuk and Mark Fistric.

We saw Ralph Krueger’s line matching on the road (Dellow is on fire over at his blog btw, great posts up there about every 12 hours lately) and it’ll be interesting to see what happens at home.

Sharks look like they have at least 7 very good forwards (Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Havlat, Clowe, Handzus) and of course Boyle plays all 60 minutes and Brad Stuart will hammer someone. I wish the Oilers would trade for Vlasic pickles, that guy is a very nice player.

465 Responses to "SHARKS AT OILERS G2 (12-13) 22.1.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. jp says:

Please, please no Luongo.

2. regwald says:

I remember watching that game – just because of the mice episode.

What a beauty that line was – Hunter, Lumley and Weir. And how about that flaming red beard of Weir’s. Have his autograph on a hockey card from a Peace River hockey school back in the day.

Love how Salming (one of my Dad’s all-time favs – he’s a Leafs fan thru and thru) kept complaining about the penalty shot, but it was a textbook play.

3. dessert1111 says:

As much as Tambellini scares me, I think it’s been pretty well-documented that he is careful about long-term contracts. I don’t think he would pick up an aging goaltender with a ginormous cap hit for the next billion years when his new #1 has been playing pretty solid, especially since he’d need to give up a piece that they need right now, i.e. 2nd line centre. There’s just so much risk and that doesn’t sound like the Tambellini of the last couple of years.

4. cdean says:

As much as I think that Luongo is a bonofied number 1 goalie, I hope that the Oilers did not trade for him. I think that we will have to give up too much for a trade like that and will be in the same place as the Canucks, a lot of money for 2 (3 with Habibulin) goal tenders. If we have to trade away any of our second or third line we are leaving holes in our roster. What we really need is to trade for a back up goalie, either in OKC or the big leagues. I would like to see Danis get a shot at the NHL back up position, I think he has earned it. As long as we never see Habibulin again.

5. Bruce McCurdy says:

Stan Weir had the best playoff beard ever … before the playoffs even started.

6. LMHF#1 says:

I join what I’m sure is a chorus of “please, no Luongo”.

The cost + his mental state and desire to go to FLA are just way too much.

Looking forward to dusting off the game-watching eyes and typing fingers to fire out the first game report of the season!

7. Clarkenstein says:

No Lu Thank you.

8. hunter1909 says:

Great seeing Hemsky finally playing happy hockey. He’s going to be great with Gagner and Yakupov. Hope they stay together.

Eager was doing his job by fighting Kassian, which is a lot better than last season when Renney had him confused about his role on the team, for whatever reason. My take on Renney is this: he didn’t seem to pay all that much attention to the team at all – he treated it like a job, a paycheck. Kreuger on the other hand is more of a Scotty Bowman type – he’s fanatical about his job, and doesn’t treat it like anything less than the most important thing in his life.

No way they’re stupid enough to get Luongo, right? Right?

9. Ryan says:

Yeah, Dellow’s on fire. Nice post on the Eager fight with a far more sophisticated view than I had previously.

My theory is that Dellow is like the SETI project–looking for signs of intelligent life except within the Oilers organization not outer space.

His Sedin analysis suggests he found it–Krueger. Let’s have a beer and another!

10. hunter1909 says:

LMHF#1,

Your game reports make for wonderful reading.

11. rich says:

Can’t see Bobby Lu coming to Edmonton and the Oil spending that much money (between him and DD) on that position…unless they’re sending DD to VAN along with Gagner – which means you’re also dismantling a part of the young core that you’ve been building. Not saying those are the pieces, but when you look at the money they either currently make – or will be making in the future, that’s about what you’d have to lose.

I think Luongo to Philly makes more sense as they’re desperate for a goalie and Ed Snider’s not getting any younger.

12. LMHF#1 says:

hunter1909:
    LMHF#1,

Your game reports make for wonderful reading.

Thank you sir. We’ll have to see how many I’m able to do this year. The wife is due March 1, but wants me to keep going to games. Here’s hoping the kid is born on the big road trip!

13. FPB94 says:

I don’t understand how Luongo has that much value.

He’s not that great, aging and costs a shit ton of money. Why would the Flyers pay when that’s exactly what Bryzgalov is?

Brian Elliott (one of the worst goalies ever stats wise) posted of the best single season performances last year. Investing in goalies is wack unless you have a prodigy (Pekka Rinne)

14. DBO says:

Crazy trade idea (trying hard not to work to start my day).
    Oil trade Gagner, Marincin, Roy and Bulin to Vancouver for Luongo
    Oil then trade Luongo to Florida for Markstrom and Weiss.

Everybody wins, I think.

FLA: gets Luongo, and Weiss can be moved now since Huberdeau needs top 6 minutes and Versteeg is their #1 centre. And no room for Markstrom if they get Luongo.
    VAN: gets Gagner as their #2, still young enough and cheap enough. Bulin backs up for 1 year and Roy steps in next year, and Marincin can step into their lineup next year if they lose some older dmen, so he adds young depth on the backend (their top 4 is set for a few more years, so no rush).
    EDM: picks up Weiss, who is a UFA next year so there is risk long term, and you may be able to sign him to 2 years. We get Markstrom (who is the real target) to run with Dubnyk. And if we don’t resign Weiss, we can take a run at a few of the UFA centres out there next year, which will be easier to do as we will be a place people actually want to go.

Won’t happen, just having fun this morning.

15. Professor Q says:

16. Clay says:

You have to ask yourself why Luongo would waive his no-trade to go to Edmonton. His wife wouldn’t move to Vancouver from Florida, which is why he wants to go back there, so…. she’ll agree to go to Edmonton instead?

So, LT, you’re invoking the name of STAN WEIR in game two of the new season? Ballsy.

Upside is we can bet the farm on the Oilers tonight :)

17. jfry says:

Winnik looking like total value right now. Wow.

18. Bruce McCurdy says:

Professor Q: I doubt the Oilers are in on Luongo; I don’t even know where this hype stems from. No worries, Oilers faithful.

The Oilers are in on every trade rumour.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Any chance Gomez draws in if he signs today?

also, LT… are you considering a career as a pro scout?

Winnik is tearing it up.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

where the hell did those mice come from…

were people just sitting in a rink littered with mice? or did folks smuggle them in… neither is very comforting…

how do we not have the plague?

21. Melman says:

Luongo to Edmonton makes no sense. He isn’t “the piece” that will put the team over the top so they can win Stanley. He has a terrible contract, and the Oil have finally come as close to icing a team without glaring holes as they have since 2006.

Slow clap to Tambi for adding Fistric and then Clark and Cheechoo to help OKC. Let the stew simmer and see what comes out.

22. FPB94 says:

Winnik got 4 goals on 6 shots. Coming down back to earth soon.

23. denny33 says:

Powerplay Tonight against San Jose.

Great job by coach on even strength icetime for forwards ….HOWEVER.

Penaltykilling, I can buy Horcoff’s icetime. But NOT on the Powerplay.

24. Rondo says:

LT,

It would seem like Detroit has many injuries, it would be a good time to trade Linus Omark to Detroit.

If Detroit wants him.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FPB94:
    Winnik got 4 goals on 6 shots. Coming down back to earth soon.

Of course he will…

still it’s fun to see one of LT’s prime off-season targets have such incredible success and he’d still (even after the coming decline) fill in very nicely on the Oil.

26. raventalon40 says:

Rondo:
    LT,

It would seem like Detroit has manyinjuries, it would be a good time to trade Linus Omark to Detroit.

If Detroit wants him.

From what I understand Omark has to finish the season overseas to honour the terms of his contract. But I guess if Detroit wants exclusive negotiating rights they would trade for him.

Timing wouldn’t be now imo, unless they could negotiate a buyout or release from his Euro club team.

27. delooper says:

Romulus, the gophers that are everywhere in Alberta in the summer, pretty much every single one of them carries the plague. One of my friends maintained a gopher colony as part of her research — she tested positive for plague antibodies in an “off the charts” way, or so the doctors told her.

Plague requires some pretty poor standards of living before people can pick it up easily.

28. Bar_Qu says:

delooper,

Thank you for filling my “trivial information to share with and amaze children” quota for today. That’s cool.

I like Krueger’s comments over on nhl.com (seriously, I think everytime he says something, somewhere an Oilers fan will swoon) about the level of pressure on him and providing good props to his coaching staff. I really think his deployment of players will lead to an extra few points this year. Simply amazing to see what a difference a coach can make – I generally have been cynical about how much a coach can add to a team, but guys like Tippett, Hitchcock and Krueger will prove me wrong.

I also want to see Fistric tonight, but this is more in a primal ‘crush them’ part of me, than any higher limbic response.

29. Radman says:

Can’t see Luongo to Edmonton. Contract aside, pricetag would be too high for a divisional rival. My guess is Philly. Holmgren will have to do something with Bryzgalov first, likely an amnesty buy out ala Redden and Gomez. Is Pronger on LTIR ? If not, would be curious how Philly would make the cap numbers work assuming Bryz’s contract counts against the cap this year. Not sure what would go the other way to Canuckleheads in terms of salary.

Have a hunch the Oil draft a goalie in the first couple of rounds this year, but he’ll be a long way off. If the price was right, could see a Bishop to Oil deal, esp if Khabby isn’t ready soon. Lower risk deal likely more to Tambo’s liking. Wait and see if one of Roy / Bunz emerges for the near future and hope like hell Dubnyk stays healthy and consistant . Fingers crossed…

30. "Steve Smith" says:

I hear the Oilers are close to signing Eric Fichaud.

31. justDOit says:

delooper,

So, you’re saying that I shouldn’t be emptying my chamber pot into the gutter? Maybe my neighbors are right…

32. slopitch says:

Loved seeing hemsky raise his stick like that in celebration. Looked like he had his swagger back…

33. delooper says:

Hemsky has swagger? More like he has his humble groove back on. Saying to the kids he’s got his game, so where is yours?

34. Lucinius says:

Rishaug has Eager out, MPS in tonight.

Be interesting to see how Krueger uses Harski and MPS in the game tonight.

35. russ99 says:

I wouldn’t worry about Luongo,

Gills’ quote said that the team with a deal in place had “something to do” with a player going back before the deal could be made.

So that means it’s either Subban in Montreal, Benn in Dallas, Visnovsky on the Island or O’Reilly in Denver, and maybe Florida, which is where Luongo wants to go.

Montreal has Price, Dallas (prime suspect) has Lehtonen, the Isles have the tandem of Nabakov and DiPietro and Varlamov in Denver.

Still, I doubt any GM is stupid enough to send one of the RFAs and one of their goalies to Vancouver for Luongo unless additional quality pieces are coming back.

36. regwald says:

ESPN reporter saying Nino wants out of NYI

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

37. LP says:

Clay:
    You have to ask yourself why Luongo would waive his no-trade to go to Edmonton.His wife wouldn’t move to Vancouver from Florida, which is why he wants to go back there, so…. she’ll agree to go to Edmonton instead?

So, LT, you’re invoking the name of STAN WEIR in game two of the new season?Ballsy.

Upside is we can bet the farm on the Oilers tonight

This. Exactly. “Vancouver? Nah… Edmonton, LET’S MOVE!!” Not going to happen.

38. LP says:

denny33:
    Powerplay Tonight against San Jose.

Great job by coach on even strength icetime for forwards ….HOWEVER.

On the Powerplay – Horcoff should NEVER, NEVER see more icetime thatEberle, Hall or ANY of out top 6 forwards. EVER.

Penaltykilling, I can buy Horcoff’s icetime. But NOT on the Powerplay.

So you do know you have to win faceoffs, right? Horcoff is a good face-off man, and he’s good in front of the net. That’s why he’s there.

39. raventalon40 says:

regwald:
    ESPN reporter saying Nino wants out of NYI

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

Paajarvi and a 2nd for Nino and a 4th

Get er done

40. gogliano says:

For those of us with Nhl streaming and in the Bay Area: What is the best way to avoid the blackout restrictions? I remember there being a thread about this but I forgot the best advice. I often have trouble with lag etc. when I try this myself and don’t want to miss the first period toying with things.

41. justDOit says:

gogliano,

As long as you use either chrome or firefox, google for an extension called ‘stealthy’. It allows you to hide behind an IP address from a different country. I’ve heard that Mexico is a good one to use. I’ve had better success with it on firefox than chrome – for some reason with chrome, it stops being stealthy after a while.

You don’t have to enable it for login, only before you click on the link to the game. Once it starts loading, you can then disable stealthy, because it’s pretty slow with it enabled.

42. justDOit says:

raventalon40: Paajarvi and a 2nd for Nino and a 4th

Get er done

43. raventalon40 says:

justDOit: Not sure that Edmonton is the place for a guy who won’t wait for his turn to crack a pretty talented roster of young players, but I’ll also admit to not knowing a lot about Nino.

Me neither, but if Nino is still the guy I remember from the WJC’s a few years ago, having him and Hartikainen on a crash and bang line with some offensive ability… that’s too tempting a thought. Plus, he’s in the age range.

44. gogliano says:

Luongo is definitely a bad contract that would make problems for the Oil because of the kids about to turn rich but adding Luongo would make a huge difference for this team overnight. He’s still an established .920 goalie in a league where very few goaltenders put up better numbers for any significant duration. I wouldn’t be trying for him and it isn’t happening regardless but the next couple years sure would be a lot more interesting with Luongo in net.

45. gogliano says:

justDOit:
    gogliano,

Awesome, thanks for this–especially the disabling trick.

46. VOR says:

You know if you put today’s two rumors together – you get Luongo for Niederreiter. Obviously there would be other pieces but given Gillis said he didn’t want salary dump but has a deal in principle with a team nobody is suggesting who have a player “they have to do something with” NYI is an option. Could Montreal also be in play? Or Colorado? I can see Luongo for O’Reilly.

47. rickithebear says:

denny33: On the Powerplay – Horcoff should NEVER, NEVER see more icetime that Eberle, Hall or ANY of out top 6 forwards. EVER.

Do you know hockey?

Have you ever been crocsschecked on the back neck or the face?

48. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I guess I’ll be one of the few who would take Bobby Lou, I would then ship him most promptly to T.O for Jake Gardiner and Bozak.

A top 5 goalie is a top 5 goalie and T.O needs one badly enough to get Schultz buddy.

Also, I still have not seen exactly why Hartikainen is an up grade over Paajarvi?

Hartikainen was suppose to be some big hitter, a guy who could get the puck and be on the PP! I still see the same player who just runs around and has little influence on his line or in the game.

Bring in Paajarvi and give him a good look on Horcoffs line, might be just what gets him going.

49. justDOit says:

gogliano: Awesome, thanks for this–especially the disabling trick.

No problem. I should also say that this isn’t 100% foolproof, and sometimes you need to try again or wait a few minutes for it to come in.

BTW: How’s your streaming experience with GCL? I get this ‘stutter’ effect when the camera moves end-to-end too fast, and it’s almost debilitating from a ‘middle ear’ kind of balance perspective.

I use hockeystreams as a backup on a monthly subscription for now, and it doesn’t suffer the ‘stutter effect, but has other problems such as dropped streams (arg).

50. justDOit says:

Wes Mantooth-11,

I strongly doubt that TO gives up Gardiner for anybody.

As for Harski, I tend to agree from the limited time I’ve seen him play this season. His skating still looks like that of an AHL all-star.

51. jp says:

Wes Mantooth-11:

Hartikainen was suppose to be some big hitter,a guy who could get the puck and be on the PP!I still see the same player who just runs around and has little influence on his line or in the game.

Not sure I disagree with you about Harti overall (I’d definitely prefer to see Paajarvi in that spot), but give him more than 6 min TOI before concluding he can’t influence the game.

52. striatic says:

regwald: #Isles Nino Niederreiter’s camp is seeking a trade from the Islanders, a source tells ESPNNY. Unhappy with current situation

WANT.

53. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

justDOit,

Agreed on Hartikainen with a little added from his play from last year,I should have mentioned that sample as well.

Disagree on T.O

I think the T.O is in a no win situation, reports had a defensmen + Tyler Bozak for Lou earlier in the year. Maybe Tambellini gets creative enough to fleece the Leafs, not to mention the Leafs have a lot of quality defensmen that Gardier may become expendable for the right price.

Scriven’s as looked awful, Riemer has to be even worse at this point.

54. striatic says:

i saw Nino play 3 or 4 times in junior, and the guy was a stud. just loads of talent and discipline. he’s been playing very well in the AHL as well, currently top ten in AHL scoring.

the reason i like him is that Smyth won’t be around much longer, and he would allow Yakupov to switch to RW after a Hemsky trade.

maybe he’d even want to play here due to Krueger’s swiss connection.

i think a deal could be made with NYI using Hemsky to get Nino and a D back, although i think you’d want to wait until Yakupov settles in a little before pulling the trigger on a deal like that.

55. striatic says:

possibly Hemsky and Paajarvi for Niederreiter and either Hamonic or Jurcina.

56. Lucinius says:

Why must you people always want to trade Hemsky!?

I wouldn’t mind Niederreiter, but only for the right deal and I don’t think you get him cheap enough, even if he wants out.

57. striatic says:

apparently NYI don’t have Jurcina any more and he’s still playing in the KHL i think. so forget that idea. Hamonic would be nice though.

58. striatic says:

Lucinius: Why must you people always want to trade Hemsky!?

it is more of a “who else is there to trade?” situation.

i don’t WANT to trade Hemsky. i argued against trading him at the deadline last year because there was no one else available to play 2nd wing RW other than Jones or Omark.

but if you want to pick up D, or a high quality prospect like Nino, you need to move somebody.

59. Gerta Rauss says:

Jurcina signed in the Czech league in October-I’ve been pimping him as a UFA signing(provided he has an out clause)

I’d take Lubo back in a trade provided he wants to come here. Streit would work as well although I’m not sure why Snow would trade either of them…looking at their roster they need NHL players.

Nino is interesting but I’m not sure adding another winger is on anyone’s “to do” list.

60. raventalon40 says:

striatic,

Jurcina is a big boy with a big injury history. Not touching that.

striatic:
    possibly Hemsky and Paajarvi for Niederreiter and either Hamonic or Jurcina.

Plus, given the current situation, that is a huge overpay.

Okay, maybe not huge, but still an overpay. Nino and Magnus both underperforming. Then the trade becomes Hemsky for Hamonic.

61. justDOit says:

slopitch:
    Loved seeing hemsky raise his stick like that in celebration.Looked like he had his swagger back…

More like he has his shoulder(s) back.

62. Marc says:

russ99:
    I wouldn’t worry about Luongo,

Not necessarily. It could also mean that they need to buy out a player first, but that player is currently injured. Khabi would fit that bill…

Or even that they want to resign one of their pending free agents to an extension so they know that they have certainty as to their cap is going to look like in the next couple of seasons.

Gillis had to know that saying he had a deal in place would be big news in the hockey world so this seems like a rather transparent attempt to put pressure on the teams that are trying to get him to take a big contract back. He probably does have at least one offer that he’d ultimately be happy with, but this seems like an attempt to smoke out a better one form the teams that think they have him over a barrel.

63. justDOit says:

Marc,

I believe that the next buy-out period starts this summer, which coincides with the end of Khabby’s contract.

64. denny33 says:

Cam Cole Article: Luongo Trade

Quite distressed as the rumout that Edmonton is the team Mike Gillis was referring has now reached Winnipeg. Key line in the article – ” and its not who anybody thinks it is ” …

I think we need someone to physically intervene and ensure Steve T. is ‘clear’ on this matter….

65. Marc says:

justDOit:
    Marc,

Ahh. Good point. I forgot that you could only buy out players at specific times.

66. raventalon40 says:

Sounds like moving Kiprusoff to make way for Luongo, to me. Or moving Crawford.

No way the Oilers get Luongo without offloading Dubnyk and they won’t do that either.

67. raventalon40 says:

Check that, the Nucks would never move Luongo inside the division. Please chalk that Kiprusoff idea up to momentary stupidity.

68. denny33 says:

raventalon40,

I am praying it is Chicago….

69. justDOit says:

denny33,

They just picked up Karlsson, so they’re set (sarcasm).

Off topic, but does anyone know why the Hawks wouldn’t just pick him off of waivers, rather than wait for him to clear and then trade for a low pick? About the only reason I can think of, is that there’s a waiver fee. ?

70. Gerta Rauss says:

justDOit,

The team plucking the player off waivers definitely has to pay a fee(I think they have to pay for the legal costs to transfer the player to their organization)

The only advantage I can think of is they can now trade him within the season…considering that he just passed through waivers I don’t see that as a huge benefit. That’s a head scratcher.

71. justDOit says:

Gerta Rauss,

Ah yes – flexibility. If he’s claimed on waivers, he has to stay with the big club for the season, or something like that.

72. raventalon40 says:

Teams do this all the time. Must be some sort of honour element to it as well (gentleman’s code?).

Kind of like how Krys Kolanos bounced around on waivers that season.

73. justDOit says:

raventalon40:

Kind of like how Krys Kolanos bounced around on waivers that season.

Thinking back to how Sather squashed the Flyers request to see the Cup during one of the intermissions in game 7, I have a difficult time thinking of these men as gentlemen, but that’s a fair point.

74. commonfan14 says:

Gerta Rauss: I’d take Lubo back in a trade provided he wants to come here.

He already requested a trade away from here once (albeit quietly). Don’t see it.

Maybe PRV will make the most of his opportunity tonight and catch Snow’s eye.

justDOit:
    denny33,

They just picked up Karlsson, so they’re set (sarcasm).

You have to keep him on your roster if you claim him. If you send the player to the minors, the other team can claim him back.

If you want a minor league player (that the other team cannot claim back from you), you let the player clear waivers, and then trade for him.

76. Gerta Rauss says:

commonfan14,

Yeah, but a lot has changed since then, namely Grampa Simpson and his onion belt is no longer coaching a bunch of Fancy Dan’s, and the current team may be more attractive to a guy with an expiring contract.

I think the trade request was largely because of his wife/girlfriend, and I seem to recall a newborn in there as well.

Lubo is currently suspended by the Isles and his KHL club is not honouring his contract, so he is sitting at the moment. I don’t know if he would bring the family over for 3 months of hockey or just play out his contract and then rejoin them is Europe when the season is over.

77. delooper says:

Yakupov’s interviews are pleasantly topsy-turvy. He’s treating his interactions with reporters as if they were real people asking real questions, as if they were actually concerned about his answers. His “how stupid are you?” look cracks me up. Sigh. I hope he doesn’t get jaded.

78. raventalon40 says:

godot10: You have to keep him on your roster if you claim him.If you send the player to the minors, the other team can claim him back.

So if the player is waiver exempt before you trade for him, that carries over post-trade? I never knew that. I always assumed the new team would still have to go through the waiver eligibility process.

79. boopronger says:

Eberle’s shooting percentage is too high. He has to miss his next 10 shots now.

80. commonfan14 says:

Gerta Rauss,

Could be, but I seem to recall that Lubo’s trade request at least a little involved his love of surfing.

Only so much you can do of that at West Ed.

81. russ99 says:

denny33,

Totally, who else is there to trade?

That’s why I think the Oilers will wait until the summer to make major moves. We’ll have a (hopefully) solid year of Hemsky and Gagner in the book, maximizing trade value – if either are moved.

Lots of players on UFA, with probably only one of Whitney and Smid and maybe Fistric back; Horcoff and Belanger or Eager amnestied and tons of cap space available for top FAs who want to play with our exciting young core.

Makes more sense to do that than deal players now like Hemsky and Gagner on the low side of their potential trade value for an iffy return.

Maybe they could flip a potential UFA and a prospect for something decent at the deadline.

82. Gerta Rauss says:

russ99,

I think Tambo is tuckered out after that Fistric deal-I don’t expect much activity until the summer either.

83. spoiler says:

Bruce McCurdy: Stan Weir had the best playoff beard ever … before the playoffs even started.

Stan Weir had the best playoff beard ever… at birth.

i think Winnipeg’s coach is an escaped university prof but they’ve done some nice little things to that roster.

85. spoiler says:

Wow, with the Katie Moore tragedy and the baseball Hall of Famers going to the field of dreams, I totally missed the passing of George Gund.

86. khildahl says:

88. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Yeah, it’s been crazy. I wrote an Earl Weaver piece but it wasn’t right–too soon, I guess. The Gund passing is a huge item imo, that family had a large impact on the NHL over several decades. And what a fascinating guy.

Their story would mak for a nice piece too, LT, but I don”t now how you fit it into a compressed sched. Not too many dead spots ahead to fill. I know I would like to read it.

89. spoiler says:

khildahl: The Oilers are listing their top 5 Hemsky goals today: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=86232Can’t say I’d disagree with any of them, and I surprisingly remember all of them like they were yesterday. I just wish they had Rod’s call over them.

Did they have that season ender against the Flames in there? ’08?

90. khildahl says:

spoiler,

91. khildahl says:

Hmm. Ferraro’s working the Winnipeg game. Are we getting someone else for colour this year?

92. raventalon40 says:

There’s always this one:

Mike Johnson, I’m sure.

94. PunjabiOil says:

We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait.

Pure guess – Dubnyk?

95. khildahl says:

PunjabiOil:

Pure guess – Dubnyk?

Only if Tambellini plans on being hung from the Gretzky statue.

The smart play is to give Dubnyk this and next season–with a solid and capable backup. Oilers are such a frustrating organization, because they’re going to waste games on Khabibulin.

97. Bruce McCurdy says:

I wouldn’t be stunned if Khabi never played another game. 40 years old, hip surgery, not ready to go even in January …

Obviously time will tell, but Danis is there wearing the ballcap for now, and Dubnyk will be the guy getting the lion’s share of the ice in any event.

At least, he better be.

98. Amadeus says:

I’m at the game. They are giving away one free beer coupon to everyone at the game. A little nice gesture I guess.

Rock it, amadeus!

(I’m so sorry)

100. JAG-041 says:

I’m very excited to not only watch the Oilers tonight but also to watch and participate in the comment on LT with my new account!

Very cool, Jag-041! Oilers played very well in game one, and if they can do well at even strength, get solid goaltending and win the special teams battle then it’ll be a great night.

Gernat with another assist tonight for the Oil Kings, 4, 0-2-2 currently. Can he catch Moroz?

103. jp says:

(un)fortunately, probably yes.

104. BlacqueJacque says:

“The Boys on the Cusp”. Oh I don’t know who it was on TSN who said that, but I love that turn of phrase.

105. khildahl says:

Well, that sure backs up why Eager’s out. My face hurts just looking at him.

Gotta be Cuthburt.

107. fuzzy muppet says:

I am very excited for this game tonight. I’ve had a few “pops” and have decided to keep track of the boys’ record in whichever jersey I wear. I will wear a different jersey after every loss. So far: 1-0 in the Hall jersey.

Go oilers! They win 3-2 again with goals by Hall, Smyth and Gagner

108. doritogrande says:

Never thought I’d say I missed ol’ Paul but god, just sing the song and get off the ice.

Also, I forgot how much of an asshat Mike Ribero is.

109. spoiler says:

khildahl: spoiler, Yes, if it’s the one where he blew by Regehr and deked Kipprusoff out of his skates.

That would be the one.

110. khildahl says:

doritogrande,

No kidding. She’s worse than the one we had last year.

111. Lucinius says:

I miss our old anthem singer.

112. JAG-041 says:

that girl is lucky she’s such a babe
    that’s the sound of the end of a career gentlemen

113. jp says:

doritogrande:

Also, I forgot how much of an asshat Mike Ribero is.

Agreed on both counts.

114. spoiler says:

OIlers go straight to the Horc line, Smid + Petry vs. Jumbo and his jets.

115. Lucinius says:

Looks like MPS on the fourth line, sigh. Hopefully he can work well enough with Belanger..

Horcoff-Smyth-Hartikainen against the Thornton line. Nuge line against the Clowe line.

117. leadfarmer says:

Anyone got a link to a stream by chance?

118. BlacqueJacque says:

JAG-041:
    that girl is lucky she’s such a babe
    that’s the sound of the end of a career gentlemen

I thought it was the sound of a baby thrown under a steamroller.

119. khildahl says:

Did I just see Whitney move laterally with speed?

120. spoiler says:

Hemsky with the FO win… And then the penalty.

121. fuzzy muppet says:

Not a good start

122. khildahl says:

Settle those nerves down, now.

123. Lucinius says:

Well, here goes our perfect PK…

124. Kris11 says:

Troubling

Man. Lordy.

126. Lucinius says:

Eh.. Dubnyk should of had that one, imo.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the replay of it and the kick bounce.

127. spoiler says:

More whistles than a football game.

128. icecastles says:

Refs are getting their revenge for the anthems.

129. doritogrande says:

Who’s got that PK SV%?

130. khildahl says:

Well. Fuck.

131. Kris11 says:

When Hemsky and Petry are taking dumb penalties, will the crappy players play well?

132. fuzzy muppet says:

Warm up Danis. take a timeout

2-0 and the Oilers skill guys haven’t really gotten loose. What now, boys?

134. Lucinius says:

Okay, the second one? Dubnyk has to stop that one.

135. Kris11 says:

Luongo?

136. spoiler says:

By the three hairy balls of Jesus, Mary and Joseph… what a start.

137. BlacqueJacque says:

K these idiots better wake up.

Also, if the Oilers lose, that girl is the cause.

138. icecastles says:

Hopefully San Jose gets another one early. 3-0 is the most dangerous lead in hockey… right?

139. Lucinius says:

Hemsky on a solo mission? Brings back memories.

140. Kris11 says:

The Oilers need to hope for some help from the refs out of sympathy npw.

141. BlacqueJacque says:

icecastles:

Is that a saying?

I thought I was the only one who believed that.

142. russ99 says:

Ugly period so far. Is this Arsenal FC or the Oilers?

Can’t nap through the first and win a lot of games.

143. khildahl says:

How many times is he going to call him Jeff Schultz?

144. spoiler says:

Gong Show. Is Paul Lynn making an appearance later…

145. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh Lord, Havlat misses an open net. There is hope yet. Power play coming up.

146. khildahl says:

Wow. They actually called that?

Oilers don’t have a shot on net. 11:52 left.

148. jp says:

Nice!!!

149. khildahl says:

YAK!!!!!!

150. JAG-041 says:

beauty yak attack!

151. fuzzy muppet says:

YAK ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

152. BlacqueJacque says:

KABOOM KOMRADE!

Nail has a laser cannon.

153. spoiler says:

YAK ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!

Well there’s one. NAIL!

155. Kris11 says:

Yaaaaaaak!

156. khildahl says:

What a pass from Gagner.

157. russ99 says:

Yak attack!!

Nice goal. Hopefully that woke em up.

158. delooper says:

There’s a happy boy.

Awesome rush sequence there, MPS. Looked Hemskyesque.

159. doritogrande says:

Oh Hi Nail. You look excited about something.

160. Lucinius says:

Hemsky looks good again tonight, penalty aside.

And god damn, I love Yak’s enthusiasm after the goal. Like a five year old on Christmas.

161. pboy says:

Love this kid.

Great pass by Samwise.

Lets not forget that terrific pass from Gagner.

163. doritogrande says:

That looked like a set passing play to send paajarvi in full flight. I’ve never seen that from an Oilers team before.

164. spoiler says:

One of my sisters just texted that she was in the 5th row for that goal. Wench.

165. khildahl says:

Fuck. Again.

166. fuzzy muppet says:

Change the goalie

167. Lucinius says:

Sigh.. this Oilers team.

168. russ99 says:

Ugh!! Cover the damn net!

169. doritogrande says:

Fuck. Can’t allow the eyes to lose eye contact on the tv tonight.

We’re gonna be in the over on goals by the end of the first tonight. Better hope for a 7-6 old timey win.

170. Kris11 says:

Ugh.

171. pboy says:

Shit. Sammy was late getting off the boards there.

172. BlacqueJacque says:

spoiler:
    One of my sisters just texted that she was in the 5th row for that goal. Wench.

I normally think of wench in a much different sense than the one you used it in…

173. khildahl says:

Did we have D-men on the ice on that shift. I can’t see any on the replay.

174. russ99 says:

At least we’re not getting outclassed, each goal against came from an obvious boneheaded mistake.

175. khildahl says:

God, I love Kreuger. Could listen to him talk all day.

176. BlacqueJacque says:

Holy moly,

If I’m Krueger, I’m tempted to say “next penalty sits the next three games with flu-like symptoms”.

177. doritogrande says:

Christ. The PP is deadly. So much movement.

San Jose’s powerplay is very good.

179. jp says:

Wow. Cue Danis.

Kruger will have lots to talk about after this one…

180. khildahl says:

I’m having a beer. And not in a good way.

181. Lucinius says:

Stop. Taking. Penalties. God damn, Potter, you cannot take that penalty, ever, and now we’re down by three.

182. fuzzy muppet says:

The defense is awful. They are way too low and Dubnyk is in the back of his net constantly. Take a fucking TO and change the goalie.

183. russ99 says:

Someone watched the Oilers game tape the other night. All those open lanes we gave Vancouver are being exploited.

Dubnyk is being hung out to dry.

184. icecastles says:

Is it just me, or does the ice look especially torn up for 12 minutes into the first period? Could the Rexall ice have gotten even worse?

And if so, can we blame it for this awful period?

185. BlacqueJacque says:

Standing around on defense…

186. SK Oiler Fan says:

Sharks are about 10/10 on set plays in 15 min – flawless hockey – well prepared

187. Lucinius says:

Paajarvi with one of the few good defensive plays by an Oiler in the game.

Defensive coverage and puck support has been absolutely atrocious in the defensive zone. AHL level.

188. hags9k says:

This calls for a major league reference….

Cmon boys! No forecheck, no breakout, bad penalties.

189. danny says:

School is in session.

Puck possession and patience is today’s lesson.

190. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh I feel sick.

191. In the Grease says:

Nothing like looking forward to a game all day then getting crushed and destroyed by the halfway point of the 1st period…. Sorta feels like a Corey Potter skate to the face in warmups.

192. doritogrande says:

Well, I won’t feel bad about turning in to get up for work.

Brutal defensive posture.

193. danny says:

Turnovers. Not the kind with apples. (Sorry peckham)

194. Lucinius says:

Mercy rule, mercy rule!

195. fuzzy muppet says:

CHANGE THE FUCKING GOALIE ALREADY

I know it’s not all his fault but he has zero reaction time tonight.

196. In the Grease says:

Game over. F.U.C.K. ….

197. russ99 says:

Well, looks like Fistric is in on Thursday night. Maybe he can play some decent positional defense.

198. doritogrande says:

Le Sigh… At least the Jets won.

Wow. Just wow. I don’t think there’s much to say.

200. BlacqueJacque says:

OK, time to put the laundry in the dryer and get a shower.

Newer Comments »