SHARKS AT OILERS G2 (12-13) 22.1.13

I’ve been a fan of the Oilers since forever, and honestly Sunday night was one of the really fun nights in forever. Not the ’06 run or the Stanley’s or the first season in the NHL–actually, it does feel a little like that one. Quite a bit, actually. It was kind of a “birth” into the league of tradition and history, that’s if the NHL cared diddly about its own history.

A few things both teams have in common:

1. Shawn Horcoff is in a similar role to Stan Weir 1979-80.
  2. The current Oilers have two teenagers (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Nail Yakupov) and the 1979-80 edition also had two teenagers (Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier).
  3. The current Oilers have some injuries. Nikolai Khabibulin, Andy Sutton, Ryan Jones and Theo Peckham are all unable to perform. The 1979-80 edition of the Oilers had all kinds of early season troubles involving Brett Callighen, Pat Price, Stan Weir and Ron Chipperfield. The earlier group ended up employing 40 players that season.
  4. In the fall of 1979, the Oilers goaltending situation was complete chaos. Part of the problem came from their veteran incumbent–Dave Dryden–who finally pulled the chute at Christmastime. Now, Nikolai Khabibulin can write his own script and perhaps he comes back and plays at a very high level, but his inability to recover from injury in time for the season–and his impending free agent status–means that the Oilers are going to be looking to add a goaltender. In Christmas 1979, Jim Corsi was called up but the organization eventually used six goalies that season, including Ron Low who was acquired late in the season.
  5. The Oilers left the station unsettled in their bottom 6 forwards, and in early December attempted to make a move when acquiring veteran winger Bobby Schmautz. Schmautz was filthy, I don’t know if there’s a comp in modern hockey. He’d spear an opponent and then punch him if no one noticed the spear. They got him from Boston for Dan Newman and dealt him to Colorado in Feb for Don Ashby, and that would have been a trade for the ages but Don Asby died in a car accident driving to Kamloops from Wichita in 1981 late spring. The current Oilers have some  3 and 4line issues–or at least we thought so–but that 1979-80 Oiler team had some guys in the lineup they thought would be players but it didn’t happen (Cam Connor, Dan Newman, Kari Makkonen, others).
  6. The odds of someone getting waived this season is pretty high. Peckham, Khabibulin, Potter, it’s probably going to happen. It happened in 1979-80, as winger Peter Driscoll grew tired of sitting.
  7. There have been rumors about the Oilers being interested in making a deal with the Canucks. Although rare, there was talk about Rick Blight coming to the city in 1979-80; not quite Luongo but he had a solid NHL career.
  8. The 1979-80 Oilers were in real trouble in the goaltending spot pretty much from the time they left the station.  At the deadline, Edmonton sent away Ron Chipperfield to Quebec for veteran Ron Low–this was the same deadline as the historic Butch Goring-to-the-Islanders deal.

Steve Simmons tweeted this morning that Cam Cole has confirmation that a deal for Luongo is in place:

• Gillis says he has trade in place for Luongo re @rcamcole barring some shoes to drop and I can confirm deal he talks about isn’t with Leafs.

I don’t think its the Oilers, but Steve Tambellini has Canuck connections, spent a wild amount of money on a genuinely aged goaltender in Khabibulin, and has enough parts to satisfy the Canucks (Gagner, others).

Ben Eager had some issues after Sunday night’s game, one suspects he’ll be fine and the club may stay with the same 20 men who played in Vancouver. HS’s would be Paajarvi, Hordichuk and Mark Fistric.

We saw Ralph Krueger’s line matching on the road (Dellow is on fire over at his blog btw, great posts up there about every 12 hours lately) and it’ll be interesting to see what happens at home.

Sharks look like they have at least 7 very good forwards (Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Couture, Havlat, Clowe, Handzus) and of course Boyle plays all 60 minutes and Brad Stuart will hammer someone. I wish the Oilers would trade for Vlasic pickles, that guy is a very nice player.

465 Responses to "SHARKS AT OILERS G2 (12-13) 22.1.13"

« Older Comments

This fucking team. If they make it close here….

2. khildahl says:

I should really know better than to hope, but….

3. striatic says:

BlacqueJacque: Tonight, on Unsolved Mysteries: How does Justin Schultz always skate into the slot unharmed?
    He just faced two d-men down and for some reason neither stepped forward for the hit.

i think what happens is he finds the seam, and neither D-man is sure if they should commit to the hit or not.

4. bookje says:

Tripping???

5. Rocknrolla says:

Nice to see Belanger with a bit of fire there. Liked the hit and slash.

6. bookje says:

Yak – Damn – Yak -arrrgh

7. striatic says:

Lowetide: This fucking team. If they make it close here….

it is fun to see what they are trying in desperation. a lot of it is working.

win or lose, they are producing offense and learning lots against a good team.

8. Lucinius says:

If only Yak had connected on that powerplay..

9. CrazyCoach says:

Suntory Hanzo: That, and he would tuck his Bruins jersey into his acid wash jeans.

And wax about the greatness that was Craig Janney (Esa’s GF).?

10. Suntory Hanzo says:

If Paajarvi could get some of that “inherent meaness” as decribed by Bob MacKenzie, 91 would rule and not put my BlackIce Tshirt to shame.

11. Lucinius says:

Paajarvi deserves to dress for the next game. Only Oiler to play a full game.

12. BlacqueJacque says:

OK I’m totally high on fanboy homerness right now.

Can anyone objectively give me a comparable for Yakupov’s one-timer? Bure?

13. Suntory Hanzo says:

Sweet!

So there’s a chance…

14. striatic says:

exciting 8th place hockey?

15. pboy says:

It’s too bad these 4 AHL kids didn’t have any chemistry on the PP…..

16. Suntory Hanzo says:

Ebs has been Horcovlike tonight. No, not writing them off…

17. hags9k says:

To nitpick, Hallsy needs to be better with the zone entries on the PP. A little careless in Vancouver too.

18. BlacqueJacque says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    Sweet!

So there’s a chance…

One in a hundred? More like one in a million.

Fucking Corey Potter and his CFL kicking boot there.

20. Lucinius says:

Oilers had to cash on one of those last two powerplays to get back into this one, so looks like we’ll stick with our deserved loss.

21. Suntory Hanzo says:

I know it is early, but hasn’t there been a whole bunch of wacky results? Or is it the fact that there has only been 2 games. Maybe I have been that starved.

22. CrazyCoach says:

Suntory Hanzo: Being on the westcoast, let me tell you, it is all doom and gloom. funny after two games.

I live in Northern BC and I think all mental health units have been put on high alert, especially after the Oilers beat them.

23. BlacqueJacque says:

Fucking Corey Potter and his CFL kicking boot there.

In this aspect the effect of Europeans on the game has been tremendous.

24. pboy says:

MPS looks like a much more confident kid. Small sample size but I’ve really liked his game tonight.

25. "Steve Smith" says:

Maybe he should emulate Jon Baker. Remember that guy?

(I’m just making random references at this point. It started with my mentioning Eric Fichaud yesterday.)

26. CrazyCoach says:

BlacqueJacque: Can anyone objectively give me a comparable for Yakupov’s one-timer? Bure?

Reggie Leach?

27. CrazyCoach says:

“Steve Smith”: Maybe he should emulate Jon Baker. Remember that guy?

I remember him. Played for Herb Broks right?

28. BlacqueJacque says:

CrazyCoach,
    That’s so painfully before my time :( I don’t even have the best memories of Anderson. Mid-80s and later. Took the year off after the Gretzky trade, too.

29. hags9k says:

I just don’t see it with Teemu. I know we are desperate for big bodies, but I don’t think 56 has enough game. Neither does 37. And I’ll give him a dozen games because I like him but it’s not looking good for Whitney.

30. icecastles says:

it should not be painful to watch cheerleaders. But there it was.

31. CrazyCoach says:

BlacqueJacque: That’s so painfully before my time

Sorry about that. My buddies are always saying to me, “Can you please name someone from the colour TV era?”

I think that was Steve Baker. Jon Baker was a punter for the Rams, I think when Dick Vermiel coached there.

33. BlacqueJacque says:

Yakupov spends so much time on the right wing, even when playing 5v5.

God it hurts to say this, but I think they might need to trade Hemsky for a LW.

34. khildahl says:

That call on Hemsky was just brutally awful.

35. voxwah says:

Good job by Denis in relief of Dubnyk the leaky Dam.

36. "Steve Smith" says:

At this point, it’s not totally clear how sarcastic those end-of-game cheers were. I guess that’s a moral victory.

37. jp says:

hags9k:
    I just don’t see it with Teemu.I know we are desperate for big bodies, but I don’t think 56 has enough game.Neither does 37.And I’ll give him a dozen games because I like him but it’s not looking good for Whitney.

No, it doesn’t look good for Whitney. The “new 100%” is the same as the old 80%.

38. jp says:

Well, that kinda sucked. I’m still glad I stuck around to watch after the ugly 1st though.

39. khildahl says:

Show up for the first period and this game’s totally winnable. I hoped the team was over this schizophrenic crap.

And 400+ posts, even during a gong show. LT, thanks for providing a forum for hockey-crazed lunatics to vent/cheer/cry/seethe.

40. hags9k says:

I know he needs to walk a fine line with the guy’s confidence but Ralph needed to yank Dooby sooner. Tough love time, if you are the #1, then you need thicker skin. 4 or certainly 5 GA in the first is a pulled goalie for most teams, why not us? Ahhh whatever, forget this one, we’ll get em Thursday. GOILERS!

41. Ice Sage says:

This is on the coach and Dubie. Not prepared for SJS cycling possession game and DD didn’t have any resilience.
    Oilers did generate chances when they skated while SJS trapped in periods 2 & 3, which is a good sign – execution will come with familiarity.
    Niemi was better than usual.
    Young team, good wake-up call. They’ll beat San Jose before the year is out.

42. Suntory Hanzo says:

Denis’ save % is unsustainable.

43. icecastles says:

hags9k: Tough love time, if you are the #1, then you need thicker skin

I think that may be partly why Kreuger opted to leave him in. If he’s the #1, he needs to show he can bounce back, even from extreme ugliness and that there will be times he has to face a gong show. Part of the learning experience for Dubnyk.

44. Ice Sage says:

hags9k,

I think coach wasn’t sure of Danis. Now we know – maybe he starts vs LAK?

I blame the coach, who went away from line matching, and the defense (not just the defense but you know what I mean) for running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Dubynk needed the first Couture goal but I’d put him well down the list of culprits.

And Potter is going to kill this team unless Whitney can turn quick enough to do it first.

46. khildahl says:

Ice Sage:

Big positive. If they’ve actually figured out how to play against the trap this year, a lot of painful games from the past go away.

47. DBO says:

Caught third period. Ouch. I assume deserved not unlucky? Shultz the younger is a force on the rush. He will only get better.
    Horc had zero hands. It is painful.
    At this point I would rather have Hartikainen and MPS on same line. They play well together and both are responsible in own zone.
    Never thought I’d say this, but Ryan Jones is missed on third line. At least he scores and kills penalties.
    And Fistric has to play for Potter next game right?

48. BONVIE says:

DBO,

Count yourself lucky to have missed the first, what a defensive mess.

49. hunter1909 says:

Saw the last period and wow, so Stupidnik plays record-breaking hockey …for the Sharks!?

Seriously: Can’t we please take a vote, right now, tonight, once and for all? Dubnyk = 1st line goaler or he’s garbage that needs to go asap.

And a better goalie brought in first, please guys.

50. "Steve Smith" says:

DBO: And Fistric has to play for Potter next game right?

He has to play for somebody, and Whitney’s making $5.5 million.

51. hags9k says:

icecastles,

I think it was a case of Ralph wanting to make the change at the intermission so as not to say to the team that it was all on the goalie. Then whoops they get 2 more. One of those things. Dubnyk let his nerves beat him tonight IMO.

Ice Sage,

I think you have to get Dubs right back in there quick so he doesn’t stew on this one. Barring a huge trade, we live and die with him this year. Get right back on the horse in 2 nights.

52. hunter1909 says:

If it’s any consolation to those of you die hards who watched the entire game, Oilers looked pretty equal to the Sharks in the third(the only part of the game I managed to see, thankfully lol).

53. khildahl says:

hunter1909,

The second was good too. That abomination of a first period killed them.

54. khildahl says:

I guess we should have seen it coming from the first performance we saw on the ice before the game started.

55. hunter1909 says:

Okay so that’s Khabibulin, Peckham, Horcoff, Jones, Dubnyk, Teubert(not here yet, but say, more like a futures situation), Yakupov(don’t let his goal tonight fool anyone, This kid’s a bust already); Pajaarvi, Lander(see Teubert), Hemsky(probably didn’t score tonight the inconsistent prick), and that one who kept blowing coverage during goals, probably Sam Fucking Garner!! Gagner!!@! Let’s just…when are we going to get rid of this fucker!?

PS: Kreuger’s obviously over his head. Fire him asap, or at least talk about it all the time.

56. hags9k says:

DBO,

Horcs hands somehow are getting worse. I think Hull once said that like golf you don’t want to grip the club/stick too tight. More like you are holding a baby bird. Horcs hands are covered in feathers and blood.

57. jp says:

hags9k:
    icecastles,

I think it was a case of Ralph wanting to make the change at the intermission so as not to say to the team that it was all on the goalie.Then whoops they get 2 more.One of those things.Dubnyk let his nerves beat him tonight IMO.

Ice Sage,

I think you have to get Dubs right back in there quick so he doesn’t stew on this one.Barring a huge trade, we live and die with him this year.Get right back on the horse in 2 nights.

Agreed, both on why he wasn’t pulled earlier, and that he’s back in there on Thursday.

For sure Fistric will be in for Potter.

Agree also that Paajarvi has earned another game. I think Petrell is out for him next time around. Suspect they want to get Hordichuk a game too at some point. Guessing he plays for either Eager or Hartikainen. Maybe MPS gets a spin on the 3rd line.

58. fifthcartel says:

So, when can we expect the Ben Bishop trade to be announced?

59. Suntory Hanzo says:

I we look at ‘winning’ the three periods, I thougt we clearly ‘won’ the latter two. It’s just that we lost the first one so bad…

60. delooper says:

I’d say this was a case of premature Weir invocation.

61. raventalon40 says:

Dubnyk was screened on more than half of those. Opposing forwards can’t just cruise into our blue paint and cover Dubnyk’s space. I’ll admit that the 2nd goal which was by Couture should have been a stop, but I truly believe that most of those goals are a routine stop if the defenseman applies some physical presence on forwards passing into the low slot.

62. delooper says:

In the first it looked like everyone was just happy to be playing in the home-opener, thinking the other player would do what it takes to make the fans happy.

63. raventalon40 says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Yakupov spends so much time on the right wing, even when playing 5v5.

God it hurts to say this, but I think they might need to trade Hemsky for a LW.

No I don’t think so. Not unless that LW is a Ryan Clowe type.

If Ralph insists on doing zero line matching while rolling all four lines, he could at least ice four lines that can play.

Hall-Gagner-Eberle
    Eager-RNH-Hemsky
    Smyth-Horcoff-Yakupov
    Hartikainen-Belanger-Paajarvi

Yes. I just suggested we put Eager on the 2nd line.

Eager may be a bit of a goon but dude has decent puck protection in the corners for the cycle game. I think he could be a Chris Neil type if given the chance. This would move Yakupov back to his natural RW position and reunite the AHL tandem of Harski and Magnus, who looked decent together.

At least until Jones is back.

The PP units would stay the same.

I think the Oilers would have been okay if we had Fistric in the lineup, to box out the opposition forwards on the PK down low.

Can we trade for another Fistric please?

64. Bruce McCurdy says:

khildahl: Can Cult of Hockey please give that first ’1′ of the year to that anthem singer?

I had that very conversation with my wife a couple of hours ago! We decided against it in the name of not piling on, poor gal is going to get it from a lot of directions one suspects. Those were a long couple of minutes, for sure.

65. DeadmanWaking says:

delooper,

I guess we all spent too long watching the preamble where they shovel up the mice. Focus, people. Even so, two young guys got a puck to remember. Seriously, it was raining cherry blossoms out there, amid the dark omens, power reversals, and hurricane flashbacks. (Lowetide: You did properly rinse and hang and double-dry the shaggy bastard before boxing him up for the long sleep?)

Highway 61

There’s only one frame in this clip of the scene I was seeking. Definitely a sop to remember.

« Older Comments