TC DAY 2: 32 YEARS AGO

In all, 56 skaters will work out twice a day in the 1,250 seat Jasper Arena next Tuesday. Sometime before October 10, the first league game against Quebec Nordiques, coach-GM Glen Sather will have to separate the players from the pretenders. “There’s going to be some interesting battles,” said Sather. “We’ve got more depth than we’ve ever had.” There are 19 returning players, from 19-year old Wayne Gretzky to 30-year old goalie Ron Low. Six draft choices from ’80, headed by #1 pick Paul Coffey will be there, as well as a couple from the year before. Olympic team winger Glenn Anderson tops that list.

The Oilers will have more Finns at camp than any other NHL club. Apart from Risto Siltanen, they have added former Boston Bruins center Matti Hagman and winger Jari Kurri, who was the second best youngster in the world junior championships last spring. All three stand a good chance to make the team. Kurri’s biggest problem may be learning how to speak English.

Forward Roy Sommer, who travelled a long and winding road from Oakland to Oil Kings to the farm team in Houston last year, is one of two American born players in camp. Minnesota goalie Pete LoPresti is the other. Two round about foreigners are blueliner George Pesut–who played for Chur in the Alps last season–and Mike Kouwenhoven, who was in Holland for half of last season.

There is even a sibling act, which comes all the way from St. Albert. Mark Messier, 19, had 33 points with the Oilers last season. Oilers brother Paul, 23, is here as a free agent after a few seasons in the Colorado Rockies chain.

ROSTER (*denotes 79-80 Oilers)

• GOAL: Gord Garbutt, Peter Lopresti, *Ron Low, *Eddie Mio, Andy Moog, Bob Dupuis
  • DEFENSE: Bryon Baltimore, *Colin Campbell, Paul Coffey, Jim Crosson, *Lee Fogolin, Mike Forbes, Larry Goodenough, *Doug Hicks, John Hilworth, Charlie Huddy, *Kevin Lowe, Mike McCann, George Pesut, *Pat Price, *Risto Siltanen.
  • CENTER: Dave Barr, *Wayne Gretzky, Matti Hagman, *Mark Messier, Paul Messier, Walt Poddubny, Kevin Redmond, Gord Stafford, Mike Toal, *Stan Weir, Mike Winther.
  • LEFT WING: *Don Ashby, *Brett Callighen, Scott Currie, Barry Dean, *Peter Driscoll, *Dave Hunter, Max Kostovich, Jarri Kurri, Dean Magee, Mark Miller, *Dave Semenko, Roy Sommer.
  • RIGHT WING: Glenn Anderson, Shawn Babcock, Dale Baldwin, Blair Barnes, Rick Bourbonnais, Mike Kouwenhoven, Bill Joyce, *Dave Lumley, *Blair MacDonald, *Don Murdoch, Cal Roadhouse, Tom Roulston.

(Jim Matheson, September 13, 1980)

-till_horcoff_is_coach was kind enough to drop off his thoughts on day 1, and here they are:

• It started with some skating and passing warmups. They went on to do the quick-passes and single breakout plays. They slowly built to doing an entire line breakout and full line defending. Nothing special for the fans, but then again with 7 days till opening night I wouldn’t expect that.
  • Overall the drills were quick paced with a heavy dose of passing. I’d say most the players showed a fair bit of vigor (as they should).
  • Individual impressions from the practice:
  • Whitney was someone I keyed in on. Most importantly he appeared to be striding and positioning with both feet. He looked limber and active the entire practice. Best sign of the day.
  • N Schultz looked ready. On one-on-one races he blew by Eberle to notch a goal and then beat Eberle with some nice stick-work the same drill. Definitely looked like he wasn’t taking the winter off.
  • Belanger looked out of place on pretty much every drill. Might be getting back into game-form but he just didn’t seem to drive hard for anything.
  • As the drills became full line-on-line, the golden three stood out. Chances flying all over the place for them. Clearly in game-form and ready for the puck to drop. I missed a few but Eberle raised a few cheers with his finishes.
  • Yakupov was naturally a standout. Didn’t see much chemistry with Hemsky or Gagner yet, but he did connect on a few drills with some beauties. I think he got the crowd bustling on 3 different goals. Tremendous hands receiving and releasing the puck. At the end of practice Belanger and him were doing a release drill from the hashmarks around a glove. Belanger looked reasonable right up until Yak came up. Just a sick release that was more often than not right up in the glove corner – basically combines the best of Nuge and Hall’s shots into one… quick release, bullet hard, and lethally accurate. Can’t wait to see him in action.
  • J Schultz didn’t stand out much. Looked like more of a forward out there in the drills.
  • Everyone else looked about as you’d expect. I’m more excited for the season after seeing Whitney look smooth and then hearing the trade. There’s still holes all over, but there’s also some hope this team isn’t broken to start the season.

Your comments and thoughts welcome, if you’re heading to the practice today please share your thoughts.

The Whitney news is terrific, and of course we’re going to have to wait until game action but early arrows are very good. If Whitney can play big minutes at evens and on the PP, the trio of pairings may end up  basically sharing the EV and specialty minutes:

• Smid-Petry (both PK)
  • N Schultz-J Schultz (PK, PP)
  • Whitney-Fistric (PP, PK)

I like the deal more this morning than first blush. Looking at Fistric’s season a year ago it seems Dallas enjoyed a unique advantage: third pairing guy who could handle own-zone faceoffs. That helped them set the offensive zone faceoffs in their favor. I can’t imaging the Oilers using Theo Peckham in a similar way, as an example.

Mark Fistric is a solid replacement for Andy Sutton, purchased at a fair price. The fact that he can manage own zone faceoffs, play a tough physical game without taking mind numbing penalties and should be an easy sign (should the Oilers choose to do so) carries the day.

56 Responses to "TC DAY 2: 32 YEARS AGO"

1. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

A healthy Whitney would be the answer (well, one of the answers) to many an Oilers fan’s prayers. Those passes he delivers to the forwards are stunning whether he can move or not, but if he’s mobile he becomes that two-way top-4 defender we all thought we had after acquiring him. Great, great news.

You think the Oilers re-sign him if he’s good this season LT?

You bet. He’s a complete defenseman when healthy. Whitney and Smid would be the top priorities after getting Nuge signed to a Hall-Eberle long term deal imo.

3. stevezie says:

One of the articles I read say he plays Div 8 ballhockey in Edmonton. I don’t know how to feel about this.

4. gameofstyle says:

LT,

First off, I’ve been following your blog for a few years now and it is a god send for a die-hard Oilers fan now living in London (the original one). Your work is a beautiful thing and for that you should be proud. I liked the trade yesterday, and like it more today as well. With so many D going down so often, do you think the Oilers are done? A healthy Whitney changes everything, but I would feel a lot better with one more addition to the blue.

5. jonrmcleod says:

Moog, Coffey, Huddy, Kurri, Anderson. Sort of makes this year’s influx of young talent (Yakupov, J. Schultz) seem not so impressive.

6. wheatnoil says:

I am intrigued by a point that Jonathan Willis made re: Fistric’s addition over at Cult of Hockey, so I thought I’d bring it up again here for the purposes of discussion…

The Oilers could pair Whitney – J. Schultz and give them almost exclusively O-Zone starts, then pair N. Schultz – Fistric and give them almost exclusively D-Zone starts. The Smid – Petry pair get matched against the top lines regardless of zone-start. The result is a high level of Comp but relatively even zone starts for Smid/Petry and mid-low level Comp for the other four with zone-start adjustments to optimize their effectiveness. At even-strength anyways.

It’s far from a perfect D, but there are some possibilities to work with there.

7. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

gameofstyle,

Nice to know I’m not the only UK-based Oiler fan :)

8. RickDeckard says:

If Whitney really is healthy then I think the Oilers need to pull the trigger on a Ryan O’Reilly offer sheet. Kid wants money. Colorado is on a budget. The Oilers could offer him $25.2M over 5 years and only give up a first and a third. Using the new variance rules the contract would go 8, 5.2, 4, 4, 4. Maximize the signing bonuses and Colorado pays out $11M in 5 months of a shortened season.

O’Reilly was a strong possession player, started the second toughest zone starts of all Colorado fowards, played top competition, killed penalties, had a PDO below 1, wins faceoffs and scored more than 50 points.

Hall-O’Reilly-Hemsky
    Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle
    Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov
    Smyth-Horcoff-Belanger

Only problem is that the Oilers need that third round pick back from Dallas.

I’m comfortable calling the Fistric trade a “WOW” trade.

I said to myself “WOW, Tambellini added an Actual NHL player and it cost magic beans. I’m used to the Oilers sending away Actual NHL players and receiving magic beans”

Maybe a 3rd is a tad too much, but a 3rd’s value to pretty marginal.

10. gameofstyle says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

Nice to hear we are two strong. Raised on the mean streets of Sherwood Park and now transplanted over here. My big issue is this, what, if any, are the options for streaming Oilers games?

11. WeridAl says:

Woodguy:
    I’m comfortable calling the Fistric trade a “WOW” trade.

I said to myself “WOW, Tambellini added an Actual NHL player and it cost magic beans.I’m used to the Oilers sending away Actual NHL players and receiving magic beans”

Maybe a 3rd is a tad too much, but a 3rd’s value to pretty marginal.

It sure came out of the blue, good trade. The assets the Oilers are accumulating will make it a very interesting trading deadline.

12. russ99 says:

Some of the lesser known names on that 1980 training camp list are pretty funny:

Bryon Baltimore, Larry Goodenough, Cal Roadhouse

Did they also act in early 80′s adult films? :)

13. OilClog says:

A former 1st round pick turned 5-6 heavy hitting defenseman for a unknown 3rd round pick.. Wow, progress!

But if you ask DSF Barker was a +\- 0 last season so he would of been the better pick up.

14. cabbiesmacker says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—:

if he’s mobile he becomes that two-way top-4 defender we all thought we had after acquiring him.Great, great news.

Why be so conservative? If Whitney’s mobility has returned he’s the #1 on this team and it ain’t even close. One way, 3 way, or sideways.

How nice would that be? Right up there with discovering the woman you thought to be modestly endowed in the pectoral region was really just wearing a very tight bra.

15. bookje says:

Woodguy:
    I’m comfortable calling the Fistric trade a “WOW” trade.

Maybe a 3rd is a tad too much, but a 3rd’s value to pretty marginal.

They are trying to make the playoffs now. Retreads and Rejects were great when the team was seeking to finish somewhere between 25th and 30th.

16. bookje says:

I doubt Whitney is ‘healthy’, but I suspect he is better. Better is probably enough to make him effective as a top 4 defenseman with some real strengths.

17. JAG-041 says:

Stevezie

he certainly does
    one of my friends was telling me he “hate[s] that asshole” when he has to play against him

18. raventalon40 says:

JAG-041:
    Stevezie

he certainly does

Yeah people from BHE call him a spaz. Which is exactly what we want on the third pairing, a certified mean bastard.

russ99:

Bryon Baltimore, Larry Goodenough, Cal Roadhouse

Did they also act in early 80′s adult films?

I love that Roadhouse is an actual surname.

19. Matt.N says:

It would be great if Ralph could feed Fistric an unholy amount of own zone faceoffs while giving J. Schultz the Sedin treatment. That would be putting Schultz in the best position to succeed.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Speaking of names and the double Messier effect… there is a kid on the Tri-City Americans called Marcus Messier… who is loosely related to the Moose:

Family connections don’t hurt either: Brothers Jordan and Marcus Messier come to the Ams from their hometown of Canmore, Alberta. Jordan is 19, and Marcus is 17. Their father is former pro hockey player Mitch Messier, who played for the Minnesota North Stars before injuries suffered in a tragic car accident ended his career. And yes, they are related: their father is Mark Messier’s second cousin.

The Whitney news is as exciting as the Belanger news is disheartening… well… actually much more exciting… still Belanger seems to have lost touch with the game in Edmonton.

gameofstyle,

you should be able to stream the games via legit sources (nhl center ice is free from jan 19-31 and only $50 after… since you are out of market you should be able to watch everything!)… or shady sources are widely available but hop around from site to site and take some searching (and lack quality)

21. justDOit says:

gameofstyle:
    Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

Been looking into this myself because I’ve cut cable off. It will be easier for you, because local and national broadcasts won’t be blacked-out. I’ll use a proxy to circumvent this little problem, but…

hockeystreams.com gets some good reviews, and it’s pretty cheap. What ever country they host this site from, local laws provide a grey area here in regards to copyright material. So while it’s not an illegal operation, necessarily, it is skirting around the definition of legal. But it would take changes in their laws to bring it down, so it is considered pretty safe to still be there after you buy a membership (which is a donation to their server costs). hockeystreams does tend to suffer from some glitches, or at least this is reported to be the case.

NHL’s GCL is probably best for you. Game center live won’t black out any broadcasts in the UK, likely, and you can actually watch games from their vault as well, which might be good for someone so many time zones away. I’ve read that they’re giving away GCL January for free, and then the rest of the season will be about $50. Not too bad.

22. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

gameofstyle,

Well I’m a born and bred Brit – Bath to be exact, where the streets aren’t exactly mean, although living in Bristol now which is slightly “meaner”. Me being an Oiler fan is pretty random given I’ve never even been to North America, but there you go, the Oilers must just be THAT awesome…

Hoping for my first trip to Edmonton within a couple of years, if I can raise the cash and find suitable work.

cabbiesmacker,

This is true, Whitney was far and away a legit number 1 defenceman for the team 2 years ago, whilst I don’t expect him to quite reach those heights again he has the ability to be a stunning player when healthy.

23. VOR says:

I don’t get the love for Ryan O’Reilly. He had, until last year, one elite talent, stealing the puck. Then he played with Landeskog and put up some points. This has apparently caused a lot of people to get confused and start thinking a good two way center is an impact player.

Without GL O’Reilly is decent on the penalty, solid in the face off circle. At even strength he isn’t as good as Gagner (not even last year with Landeskog). Like Gagner he is a perimeter player who passes well and thinks the game well but does neither at an elite level. He isn’t big, he doesn’t hit, and he isn’t a plus skater. So without Landeskog whose game he compliments nicely O’Reilly is an inferior Gagner who kills penalties and wins face offs. In other words Eric Belanger.

For a young Eric Belanger we’d be giving up a first and third round pick.

24. Bruce McCurdy says:

jonrmcleod:

That may be the finest single-team rookie class of all time.

25. Bruce McCurdy says:

My compliments to THIC for a terrific report from camp yesterday. Keep ‘em coming!

Since LT asked so nicely, here was my take on the action from Day 1.

26. justDOit says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Since I don’t do the facebook thing, and therefore can’t comment on the CoH site, I would just like to say that your TC day 1 writeup was great. I enjoyed the auditory impressions of skill.

27. jonrmcleod says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Nice report. Hope we continue to hear positive things about Whitney.

28. bookje says:

Bruce McCurdy: That may be the finest single-team rookie class of all time.

Its also the type of thing that likely won’t happen again with the ‘science’ of drafting now widespread.

29. LMHF#1 says:

Decided to stop by camp for a bit today. Northlands and I are not off to a promising start. Seating is limited to half of the bottom bowl. The excuse “too hard to control”. Gimme a break….

30. hunter1909 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Yes, but what about my long held theory that states that:

100% remove Gretzky from the Oilers altogether and some of these stars never develop to anywhere near to where they actually did. Some possibly even bust.

Just don’t ask me which ones, ha ha.

31. dessert1111 says:

gameofstyle:
    Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

If you’re poor and tv-less like me, sites I would recommend are adthe, first row sports, sport lemon and justin tv, in that order. Finding NHL streams are pretty much never a problem. If you want to pay, and if you like watching non-NHL games like AHL and Major Junior, I’d recommend hockeystreams

32. LMHF#1 says:

Zamboni’s just coming out. So far:

Yakupov is that guy who wants to score every single drill and doesn’t quit. This is something Ken Hitchcock used to emphasize like crazy. Quite possibly the best shooter on the team (only comp is Eberle). Bears down on everything. The only thing that’s tripping him up so far is thinkin he can go wide too often, and some inadequate teammates.

Generally, I’m seeing a team that shoots the puck much better. There are still guys who simply lob it at the goalie half the time (Smyth, Horcoff, Belanger, Paajarvi, and unfortunately Hall) but this does look a lot more like a Penguins team I saw several years ago who made their first class goalie look like crap in the pregame.

Speaking of crap – Khabibulin still stinks. Then again he’s never tried much outside of games.

Magnus is at least trying to make plays. He’s not succeeding much though and is still using a stick made for a defensive forward who is overly reliant on the poke check.

Eager is lazy. He’s just as skilled as many other guys but doesn’t bother. If he keeps this up maybe he’ll get cut.

Smid looks good. Solid on his skates and enjoying himself.

If Petrell had the time he gets in these drills, he’d score a bunch. Another skilled guy who can’t deploy it. Hordichuk can also fire it given time.

Haven’t got to focus on Schultz or Hartikainen yet. The lower bowl end view is not condusive to following a lot of guys.

More after the 2nd half.

33. hunter1909 says:

LMHF#1: The lower bowl end view is not condusive to following a lot of guys.

According to the Oilers, you people only have yourselves to blame for banishment to the lower sections of a rotten old (probably “allowed” to run down by all concerned lol) Northlands Coliseum.

34. LMHF#1 says:

Sam’s clearly been working on that goofy half-slapper of his and has been picking corners well with it. Wonder if we’ll get second half Sam right out of the gate.

Yakupov hadn’t got to shoot in a while and responded with a gross snipe across the goalie. Just perfect.

Schultz wasn’t beating either of the goalies with his shot but also didn’t get to move into the slot really.

Hartikainen seems to fit on the line with Smyth and Horcoff, often open for a pass. He needs to work on picking the corners though.

Fistric looks like a normal defenceman who’s probably a little out of sorts. I swear he was faster in Midget but maybe that’s just relative speed.

The powerplay has Horcoff on it again…standing there in fromt of the net watching. Unit #2 moves the puck very quickly.

Yakupov is scoring consistently. Buries a slapper and a little celebration to boot. Love that guy. Also, if you like quick passing on the PP you’ll love him.

Potter’s paired with Whitney and moving well. Forgot how big he is.

Eager-Belanger-Petrell are now skating around like the only 3 guys who know they’re on the team. Everyone else is going pretty hard. Better in the scrimmage though.

Hemsky isn’t having the best skate, along with a few of the other vets.

Ice is getting really chewed up. Some things never change.

Teubert is moving well and playing a physical game. Perhaps the Fistric acquisition gave him a kick in the butt.

35. LMHF#1 says:

Horcoff and Yakupov did a stickhandling drill with the plastic defensive aid they have. The side-by-side comparison is pretty hilarious.

36. dessert1111 says:

Horcoff still captain, Eberle permanent A. Hall and N Schultz alternating with the A, presumably home and away.

37. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Thanks for the compliments but your recap clearly put mine to shame. Great to read and see soapy of the details I failed to notice.

I also had the same experience with Petry. With his hair it reminded me of a Gilbert of old crossed with an effortless stride. However once I said it aloud I knew who it must be.

38. leadfarmer says:

Anyone have any word on Linus Omark? Was he invited to TC or did he burn so many bridges on his way out of town that he was not invited. Anyone know?

39. dessert1111 says:

leadfarmer:
    Anyone have any word on Linus Omark?Was he invited to TC or did he burn so many bridges on his way out of town that he was not invited.Anyone know?

He wasn’t invited, he is on a 1 year deal in Switzerland and scoring very well, at least when he was on a line with Red Wings Zetterburg and Brunner.

40. Spydyr says:

That Gretzky kid will never make it……Too small.

41. hunter1909 says:

leadfarmer:

Omark is dead to the Oilers, and he knows it. Wee Linus has a sense of entitlement that stinks to whatever the fuck.

42. DeadmanWaking says:

That movie marks the end of Generation X. X marks the spot.

The image also commemorates the all-time worst scouting report since the rise of The Empire Is Black fashion monopoly. There’s precious little “chalk talk” on Dagobah from those onion-toting Jedi masters: Yoda and Obi Wan subscribe to the motivational precept that the best preparation is blind ignorance.

It’s like Wayne shows up in Indianapolis having never seen a spherical object. He thinks the sun is shaped like a hockey puck. Blueprints exist, but maps don’t. He wakes up every morning and expects to see a bright yellow rectangle rise in the east, but somehow the gods never manage to lay the saucer down. He wonders about this. It’s a nuisance to stand the puck up at full speed and hard to control. Fatal to the project, he’s never had a linemate who can tee up a reliable one-timer off a rolling puck. He’s tried every yaw on the lob pass: 45 degrees nose up, 45 nose down, 15 nose up, 15 nose down. But really, the flat saucer is best. CW off the forehand, CCW off the backhand. Stick to the basics. Soft and flat. Apple snapple with underspin … never … just messes up teammates … though wait a sec. … that might do something interesting if the goalie can’t see it spin. Yeah, bounce one off the cranial blind-spot straight down the dorsal-fin garbage chute. Slow spin. Like a knife. Maybe three, four revolutions. To the back of the head. Hmmm, maybe I’ll try that some day if I can’t find a pass. Oh hell, I can always find a pass or a tuck. Sure sucks to waste all this practice standing the puck up with this spin and that. I mean, the gods must know something to keep the sun on edge. The frozen sun.

[Chewing the fat, after-hours, training camp locker-room 1979 WHA All-Star Series.]

Jacques: Anything … anything at all about the other team?
    Peter: Nnnn, much risk there is.
    Jacques: How about Russia. Should we tell him about Russia?
    Peter: Nnnn, much risk there is.
    Jacques: Lenin? Stalin? Prague? The Eastern Block?
    Peter: Nnnn, much risk there is.
    Jacques: What about Canada?
    Peter: Nnnnnn, much risk there is.
    Jacques: He’s western Canadian by birth, you know.
    Peter: Nnnnnnnn, much risk there is.
    Jacques: Nothing at all about The Great White North?
    Peter: Nnnnn, much risk there is.
    Jacques: OK then. Hockey. Just the hockey. His linemates. I’m thinking of Gordie and Mark.
    Peter: Yyyyyy, ass-kick they will.
    Jacques: Do we tell him about Gordie and Mark?
    Peter: Nnnn, much risk there is.
    Jacques: You don’t think he’ll wonder about some of those … looks … between them?
    Peter: Nnnn.
    Jacques: About the old guy? He’ll wonder. Gordie … at least?
    Peter: Nnnnnn, much risk there is.
    Jacques: So, the plan is to just hand the kid a shiny saber and send him over the boards?
    Peter: Yyyy. All his contract to me R belong.

I don’t know why Peter speaks a bit like The Monster from Young Frankenstein and a bit like Yoda with a smattering of bad Japanese. Strange parents, I guess.

43. Gerta Rauss says:

NHL and the PA agree to accelerated buyouts before Saturday-expect Redden and Gomez to be on waivers in the next 48 hours.

44. bendelson says:

Slightly off topic but I read something online yesterday that caught my eye. Is there ANY truth to the following statement: Martin Marincin needs an attitude adjustment in order to continue to develop into an NHL dman…

If there is anything to this rumour, then hopefully someone here can provide more details.

45. hunter1909 says:

DeadmanWaking,

Deadsie: What in your opinion are the Exact Parameters of Generation X?

I’m attempting to plot my own destiny in a limitless universe, you see.

46. jake70 says:

David Booth out 4-6 weeks….lol. There’s another 3rd of line 2 down.

47. bookje says:

Spydyr:
    That Gretzky kid will never make it……Too small.

I almost wrote a whole DSF (1980 version) commentary on the 1980 Oilers, but then i realized I have work to do.

48. leadfarmer says:

hunter1909,

You’d think he would suck it up and come to training camp. Either he makes the team or goes on waivers and could go to another team.

49. hunter1909 says:

leadfarmer,

I wonder what Omark would have done in game 7 of the 2006 finals with Brind’mour all over him, and so does management.

Chances are he’d wilt just like he did anyway, lol.

Omark is, I repeat: a self entitled idiot.

50. russ99 says:

Omark situation is set – he signed a full year deal in Zug before the lockout.

He’ll never get a fair shake here while Tambellini is running things, so why bother. He can build his stock in Europe and the Oilers will eventually trade his rights to someone who can work with him and will eventually reap the benefits of a dynamic offensive player.

The big question, however, is will Paajarvi and Yakupov follow the same path if this dunderheaded organzation can’t relate to European prospects, especially headstrong and outspoken round pegs that they seem to always try and push into a Western Canadian square hole.

51. Marc says:

gameofstyle:
    Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

Make it three. I’m Jasper bred but I’ve been in London almost a decade now.

I got hockeystreams last year and the quality was much better than the free streams. Because of the time difference though I rarely watched games live, so I signed up for NHL Vault and that was way better than the hockeystreams archived games – and cheaper too.

It costs US$ 4.95 per month and you get every NHL game, with all the commercials removed, posted online an hour or two after they finish – usually by 7AM London time. I watched 70+ Oilers games last season for about £20-25.

52. stevezie says:

Subject change: We’ve long talked about Subban, and we’ve finally started about O’Reilly, but has anyone else noticed that DSF’s hero Dmitri Kulikov is still unsigned? There’s a good defenceman and a Russian (who believable rumours say they’re looking for).

Of course, the problem is that if we trade anything other than a present-tense top-6 guy for him Fistric becomes your seventh guy- which I am actually fine with but it takes a gutsy GM to turn his new acquisition into an expensive backup.

53. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Gerta Rauss,

Ah. The signed by Sather rule.

54. Rocknrolla says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

Chris, please let us know when you come to Edmonton for your first time. I’m sure this community would be happy to help out and get you to your fist live game!

bring your liver. :-)

56. MOAR OILERS, You Say!? « says:

[...] he thinks about it for twenty-four hours. And he pretty much nails it here and then a day later here. Robin Brownlee chips in his two cents over at OilersNation here, and doesn’t really miss [...]