TOP PROSPECTS GAME

Its Orr versus Cherry tonight at the top prospects game. I like watching this game for general impressions and then usually watch it again after the draft (watched the Nuge one quite a bit, not gonna lie). The players I’m focused on are:

• D Seth Jones. Franchise D? Who knows, but the tools are outstanding.
  • C Curtis Lazar. Falling in the rankings but he’s coming on now. It’ll be fun to see what kind of impact he has in this game.
  • C Sean Monahan. Terrific range of skills, this may not be the kind of game where he shines.
  • L Jonathan Drouin. Supremely skilled winger, man what hands.
  • C Nathan MacKinnon. Many have him #1, he should have a major impact in this game.
  • G Tristan Jarry. He looks like a million every time I see him, hope he plays well tonight.

I’m very disappointed D Ryan Pulock won’t play in this game–he’s the target player for me this season as an Oiler fan.

28 Responses to "TOP PROSPECTS GAME"

1. 48 percent body fat says:

Hopefully the oilers wont take heart anything Craig Button says about the outcome of this game. Does the whole amateur scouting team go to this game? Or at least the ones not out of North America.

I would guess the Oilers are well represented at this game, its an outstanding chance for them to get a look these kids against players of the same age. Plus they are playing for keeps!

3. Rocknrolla says:

Good interview with Stu McG about scouting this top prospects game a couple days ago.

It’s a coupl lines down. Jan 15.

Fun first period. MacKinnon was terrific, Jones even better!

5. jonrmcleod says:

I’m at the game. It’s nice to be able to see Jones after seeing McKinnon and Drouin all season.

Jon: Impressions?

7. jonrmcleod says:

Lots of big hits. Not your typical all star game. Don’t know anything about the big defenceman Zaddrov but he has quite a physical presence. Jones has been solid. Drouin and MacKinnon have been a bit shakey. Not capitalizing on some good chances.

8. FPB94 says:

Button was a shitty scout, Milbury arguably the worst GM of all time.

I guess it only matters if you were there MAN.

Button drafted close to 0 defenders who became NHL’ers (or the ones who made it weren’t very good, even tough he used top 15 picks on them,).

Oilers should do whatever the opposite of what he says about d-men.

On a good side we might not have to mull over who to pick N1 this year around.

During Button’s time as Scouting Dir, he chose

1. R Jere Lehtonen
    2. R Jamie Langenbrunner
    3. G Marty Turco
    4. R Jarome Iginla
    5. L Brendan Morrow

I don’t think he was a shitty scout, not at all.

As for the game, Jones remains the man imo, and the OK goalie was outstanding.

10. JohnnyRocket says:

Jones was the belle of the ball, Lots of gumption in that game. Small sample size and all, but it seems that Jones was all around a step above. I secretly hope that we just miss the playoffs (by a point on the last day of the season; many meaningful games down the stretch) and Tambo does what he does best; drawing the that first overall ball. Jones would put this team over the top.

11. Gerta Rauss says:

Lets go Kruegering

-Jones is back in town
    -talks about Peckham..hip is still recovering..he was asked about Theo’s weight and chose not to answer…draw your own conclusions about Theo’s fitness level
    -Hordichuk scores 2 in the scrimmage

interviews up with a number of the players on the Oilers site

12. Gerta Rauss says:

Interesting little nugget right at the end of the Krueger podcast…he was asked about roster makeup and he answered quite clearly 7 and 14….ie: they plan to keep 7D and 14 forwards. Maybe Theo goes on IR to start the season but I think he’s in a bit of trouble..it’s either him or Potter that have to clear waivers.

13. BlacqueJacque says:

Not to take things too far off-topic, but what do you guys think of Sam Grist from the Blazers?

He’s 19, undrafted, 6’4, 210, well… you can see more here, – http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0009952013.html – relative to the context of his team. Not that much scoring, but a great +/-. Only defenceman consistently on the ice with the top line, by the looks of the stats. If anyone has seen him, does he have speed?

Compares favorably with same-age Keegan Lowe – http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0047162013.html

14. stevezie says:

Gerta Rauss,

I think Theo’s gone and there is no doubt about it. They traded for a superior version of him and have publicly said nice things about Potter. Maybe he gets traded, maybe he gets sent down, but unless he looks like the second coming of Gator for the rest of training camp he does not start the season with the club.

15. Gerta Rauss says:

stevezie,

And I’m fine with that-I like Theo,always have,but the signs are all there. It would be a shame to lose him to waivers though…he’s a serviceable 6/7 guy with a distinct skillset(toughness)..I’m hoping for the best for both him and the club.

16. Bar_Qu says:

jonrmcleod,

Did you have any impressions of Morgan Klimchuk’s play? He’s a former student, I only just realised he was playing after the game was done. Good on the kid to get the invite, but he didn’t show up in any of the reviews.

Great event to give a little more limelight to some CHL players.

17. wheatnoil says:

Gerta Rauss,

Matheson has a piece up on Peckham and it’s pretty critical of his weight. Peckham all but says he’s overweight coming into camp. Matheson also hints that Peckham might start the year on the IR or get sent for a 2-week conditioning stint in OKC.

Things aren’t looking up for young Theo.

18. Gerta Rauss says:

wheatnoil,

thanks-here is the Matheson piece

The 2 week stint in OKC seems like a nice fit all around…Peckham gets ice time, OKC gets a much needed defender,big club gets a roster spot for a couple of weeks.

19. jonrmcleod says:

Bar_Qu,

To be honest, I don’t remember him.

20. speeds says:

Gerta Rauss,

Players on conditioning stints count against the roster, if my memory is correct – it wouldn’t open a roster spot for the Oilers.

21. hunter1909 says:

wheatnoil: Things aren’t looking up for young Theo.

Not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, is he?

Peckham’s got the tools to be a feared defenceman. What happens if he blows it again this year?

Character, grasshopper.

22. wheatnoil says:

hunter1909,

I agree, he has certainly been handed an opportunity the last couple years and he hasn’t staked his claim to a roster spot. To see him sliding back in the depth chart and still come into camp overweight… obviously it’s tough with the lockout and not knowing when it’s ending, but still… discipline Theo, discipline!

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

speeds:
    Gerta Rauss,

Do they need the roster spot, or do they need to protect him from waivers? Or, both?

I imagine he came to camp fat… K shook his head, gathered himself and then said…

“Ok, Theo… here’s the deal, the last deal you’re going to get from us… you have a hip injury… no, no… Yes you do!… you’re going to work out like crazy to try and get into shape in OKC for two weeks… at which point you will return to us, and if you pass your fitness test, we’ll see where you fit. No promises. by the way, in the meantime we are going to replace you with a better version of you. So, if you want this… wake the eff up!”

24. Bar_Qu says:

jonrmcleod,

Yeah, that’s kind of what I figured was the case with him. Nowhere is there a mention of him, which doesn’t surprise me given where he is ranked.

Thanks for the reply.

25. FPB94 says:

LT: Well. That’s for 10 years. 5 guys.

From 1994 to 1996 Iginla is the only potent player he drafted. In Calgary the best he got out of 3 years of draft was Jarett Stoll.

Dude has 5 top 10 picks.

When Richard Jackman is the all time best D-men you’ve drafted in 10 years, it’s sad.

If I take Timmins to compare (Only 2004 to 2007 with 1 top 10 draft choice).

Grabovski, Streit, Kostitsyn (S), D’agostini, Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Mcdonagh.

It’s pretty sad IMO.

FB94: 1992 to 1998, 7 years. He didn’t draft any great defensemen, that’s for sure. Still, he drafted some outstanding forwards.

27. FPB94 says:

I added the 3 years as GM of the Flames, and still consider what’s been done when he was director of player personnel at Dallas,. Since a lot of GMs have a say in their team’s pick. I honestly don’t know about his influence as director of player personnel.

28. FPB94 says:

TBH. I think i’m just more pissed at how they’re presented (as the real deal often) and how they act.

(But at the same time it’s his job, so maybe he knows, maybe he doesn’t).

BTW. I’m curious about the comparison between my prospect rankings and Spoiler’s.

JT Miller seems better than I thought.