A WORK IN PROGRESS

The Edmonton Oilers lost to Dallas last night, and that’s barely news for a fanbase that knows the script by heart. The tweak in last night’s story? The home team played well, well enough to win under normal circumstances.

I think we should count this as a “moral victory” or a “stepping stone” for a young and talented team. You can take something from losing, and the Oilers have done it before.

November 13, 1981 EJ

oilers lose

The Oilers have a legit #1 line now, these guys are absolutely pushing the river (Nuge-Hall-Eberle) no matter what the other side puts in front of them.

corsirelg13

Some nice numbers here, the top line and the Nordic line plus young Yakupov are all doing fine. I’m concerned about the Gagner-Hemsky combination–that should be a strong line–and one wonders if they are going to have to move Yakupov to the 3line and place Hartikainen or Paajarvi in the 2slot. Ryan Smyth may also be a candidate.

Standings

standings g13

The Oilers remain about where I thought they’d be at season’s end and it seems to me that the players themselves are performing at a reasonable level. They’re on the bad side of the shooting percentages and about right in the save percentages, so as things move along we should see larger numbers in the “GF” category.

IT IS TIME

kelly1

I think Steve Tambellini needs to find a defenseman. Peckham will be returning soon and the club will be in an unusual situation: 8 roster blue with four (Fistric, Whitney, Potter, Peckham) who the coach can’t slot into the top two pairings.

Streit on the Island makes sense, they have Lubo now so maybe that’s overkill.

82 Responses to "A WORK IN PROGRESS"

1. regwald says:

LT, come on now … really ? You got Hordi put on waivers and now you are pushing Tambo to get a Top 4 dman ? You don’t want to rush the guy do you ? LOL

If the Oilers made that upgrade, it would be a huge boost to the playoff push. Just not sure if he can pull it off.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The most powerful and dangerous human affect: moral pleasures and pains.

I’d suggest steering clear of those quagmires and sticking with Hall’s clear-eyed interpretation of the loss from last night (as cribbed by LT and Ribs):

““In Columbus we didn’t deserve to win & didn’t play well, way we played tonight is going to win us games.” – Hall

“”I wanted to get more pucks on net. That’s the reason I scored that goal. We need to continue to do more of that.” – Hall continued”

Steer clear of the baser passions and stick to the script.

3. Ben says:

Do Paajarvi and Marincin get you into the O’Reilly conversation? He’s the perfect 2-3C for this team.

4. kosiork says:

I know that the dam will eventually break and they will score 8 or 9 one night, but its a frustrating wait in the mean time. Who was the guy that used to post drink recipes around here? I had too many of the Ninjas he prescribed, and my short-term memory has suffered.

5. hunter1909 says:

Once upon a time I taught this kid how to play chess. In no time at all I saw he had real talent, but for the longest time he couldn’t beat me although he was clearly getting to a higher level than I’d ever reach.

Then one day he won, and since that day he’s always been murder to play against.

The Oilers? Same diff. Last night’s Stars know they stole two points from a future powerhouse.

6. HBomb says:

kosiork:

Glad to know that my “influence” is still being felt. Damn Dr. Pepper and Captain Morgan are a lethal combination….

7. Zipdot says:

Paajarvi is NOT FOR SALE.

8. Zipdot says:

kosiork: Who was the guy that used to post drink recipes around here? I had too many of the Ninjas he prescribed, and my short-term memory has suffered.

There’s a liquor from Denmark that does the same thing. It’s called “Små Grå” (“Small Gray”), which refers to how it shrinks your brain when you drink it. Good stuff!

9. RMGS says:

The team is on the cusp, if last night’s play is any indication. The pressure and possession game from RNH-Hall-Eberle is a real treat to watch (and count).

That second line is off balance, and switching the rookie with Hartikainen or Paajarvi may work. But I hope they wait a little longer. Playing with Hemsky’s not easy, never mind for a 19-year old who looks hesitant and nervous. Yakupov had a few more chances last night but it still seems like Gagner and Hemsky are playing short handed at times, especially on the defensive side of things. I’m hopeful they’ll ‘click’ after a few more games.

One other thing about Yakupov. I don’t understand why – if the coach and everyone else marvel at his one-timer – there seems to be no set play to give him the shot on the PP. Gagner tried the cross-crease pass to Yakupov once, but it’s more the exception.

10. gcw_rocks says:

What’s happening with Petry and Smid has to be a concern. If those two can’t get back close to last season’s level, this team is in trouble.

I think the performance of the bottom pairing has been bad enough that Peckham will get a shot soon. if the AHL results are good. Problem is you can’t pair him with a Fistric. He needs to be with a puck mover, which means Petry (too high in the order), Potter or Whitney, which frankly doesn’t leave me feeling warm and fuzzy.

I love the way Hemsky is playing, but it also means his value is about as high as its ever gonna get. If he could be traded for a stud defenseman, I would make the trade and not think twice about it.

The other problem is the forward lines. It seems like RK likes Hall-RNH-Eberle, so when shuffling the other 9, its hard to fit the pieces together.

So, assuming Hemsky sticks around, Gagner and Hemsky need a finisher. If its not Yakupov, then who? Smyth used to have hands, but with his current footspeed and his scoring over the last 30-40 games, I am not sure he is the answer. Ditto for Hartikainen. We know ifs not MPS, but you might put him there for the defensive abilities based on those CORSI numbers.

One of the criticisms I have had of the Lowe-Tambo regime is even when they have good pieces, the pieces don’t fit well together. Individually, I like Gagner, Hemsky, Hartikainen, MPS, Smyth, and Yakupov, but I don’t see combinations of those players that fit real well.

If I could trade Hemsky for Clarkson, Moulson, Ladd, or Lucic, I would feel better about the fit. Or, if I could trade Gagner for Backes, Bergeron, Seguin or Zajac I might feel better about the group.

But as it sits, not so much.

If I were the Oilers, I would be having a conversation with the Coyotes about what it would take to get Samuelsson in a trade. He could look good as a 3rd line C or a 1st or 2nd line LW. Given the volume of d-man prospects the Oilers have, I would be looking for a prospect for prospect trade.

Man, I would be doing a full court press on the Avs for O’Reilly as well. He is definitely the cure for what ails the Oilers up front.

11. Bruce McCurdy says:

Last night’s shots on / at goal by line:

Hall-RNH-Eberle ……………….. 18 / 26
    Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky ……… 8 /13
    Paajarvi-Belanger-Hartikainen … 1 / 3
    Eager-VandeVelde-Petrell ……… 0 / 1

Granted the bottom 6 had about as much ice time combined as the first line did on its own, but seriously, 60+ minutes TOI and 1 (one) stinking shot?

12. stevezie says:

So we all want O’Reilly. Forget the trade for a sec- how much would you pay him? While I agree that the Av’s are low-balling him, I’m in no rush to give him five million either.

Those of you shouting, “Just pay him!” should take a long, hard look at Tyler Myers’ career. P.K Subban must look at Myers’ capgeek page and wonder what he is doing wrong.

13. Rondo says:

Management lacks vision, they have always tried to build an all-star team, and not a team.

Sometimes you have to take 1 step back to get 2 steps ahead.

Sure they need a D-man but this won’t change managements philosophy. Oil

Oilers have been a fast young team with potential for a long time. The reason they have not become a playoff team is management.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie:

That’s a solid point. The Oil aren’t exactly known for finding value contracts (Petry is a good counter-example). And, when they decide to play hardball (Smyth) it often doesn’t look much prettier than the O’Reilly situation.

Before you even consider sending away a bunch of treats, you’d better figure out if you can reach a deal that makes long term sense with the player.

also, picard is better.

15. sliderule says:

Let’s face it our bottom six is poorly built and injured.Horcoff Jones are out and Belanger is playing with a broken foot.
    What RK has to do is figure out some system to get the top line more quality shots.They are spending a lot of time on cycle with all three forwards behind the blue and nobody in front of net.That gives you lots of puck control but not many scoring chances.

16. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rondo: Seems to me top teams are bigger and harder on the puck on the top 2 lines and always have a gritty 2 way center in the top 2 lines.

the second line is hot and cold… but I don’t think the problem is lack of size or grit. In fact, I reject the premise that there is a problem with the top two lines (sure there is always room for improvement). The first line isn’t huge, but is damn hard to win against and that’s what wins games.

I know the mantra is “you win with you best players being leaders/being your best players/stepping up etc”… but in this case the problem isn’t the top 6.

The problems are clear and have been for a long time: D depth; C depth; bottom 6 vets; back up tending

17. LMHF#1 says:

Zipdot:
    Paajarvi is NOT FOR SALE.

Of course he is – for a price.

18. Rondo says:

I wonder what people would be saying if Justin Schultz was not on this team. Management and philosophy had very little to do with getting him.

They would be saying fire Lowe and Tambo

19. kosiork says:

HBomb,

For sure. Sorry I forgot the name, but thats basically your fault.

My brother is in the RCMP and he took the drink back to his small town. Made a lot of waves in small-town SK. You’re pretty well famous, now.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rondo:
    I wonder what people would be saying if Justin Schultz was not on this team.Managementand philosophy had very little to do with getting him.

They would be saying fire Lowe and Tambo

They’ve been saying that for years… I don’t think the Schultz sweepstakes let the off the hook.. have you seen that?

21. crude says:

Sometimes when I watch an Oilers game I keep a window open (on my computer) with this blog’s comment section at the ready. Actually “sometimes” is low-balling it. I do it so much that I can predict most posts before they happen, word for word, like “X giveth and X taketh away.” etc. Mind you, there are still pleasant surprises like when LT gets ripped and types the most “fucks/60″ I have ever seen. I love it all. Great blog, thanks.
    All this to say that when I don’t have this site as my in-game companion I find I can get a very different take on things than that expressed here. I wasn’t feeling as rosy about last nights loss as some of you seem to be – even though I know they played a ton better than they have been. How long do we wait for the dark percentages clouds to crack open and the sweet puck luck rain to pour down and end this scoring drought? I guess the real question is does anyone in management care yet? I disagree that management doesn’t have a vision. I am just getting pretty darn antsy over here.

22. Bruce McCurdy says:

Rondo:

23. denny33 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Great post by Mr. McCurdy. This is something I have been talking about for a few weeks.

Our bottom 6 forwards are not a factor 5 on 5 most nights. Not to quibble with Bruce – but on
    NHL.com – they only have Belanger recorded with 1 shot on net.

Against the Dallas Stars, with players most fans have never heard of….MPS, Eager, Petrell, Hartikainen,Belanger, Vandevlede had 1 shot on net.

That is worth repeating. Our 3rd and 4th line players, against the Dallas Stars, could only muster 1 shot on net.

As if reading my mind Sportsnet post the MASSIVE drop off in scoring between the top 2 lines and the bottom 2 lines.

Our bottom 6 forward group has 2 goals ALL year. Colton Orr, the enforcer who receives 4 minutes of icetime per game, has 1 goal.

Here is the scary part – does anyone think the top 6 D of Dallas is something other teams fear?

Outside of our top line and Justin Schultz, I am not sure what we have here

Someone else here said it best – I like Gagner, love Yakupov, and Hemsky but not sure they work together….alhhough I would consider this to be Hemsky’s 2nd straight game that he took the night off.

. I really did not notice our 2nd line creating anything last night. For me this line is not just bad defensivley – they are extremely inconsistent offensively. Not sure they created any legitimate scoring chances 5 on 5.

24. loosemoose says:

Forget Yakupov and Shultz…. Kruguer has been this team’s biggest off-season pickup.

You can see him try and fix problems immediately. He is not intimidated by the media or even management. I bet Chuck Norris would defer to Ralph if they both hit the door at the same time.

I am optimistic for this team’s future.

In Ralph I trust.

25. denny33 says:

Rondo,

Probably the best point I have seen posted this year….

Honestly, where would this club be if we did not steal the Anneheim Duck draft selection – Justin Schultz?

26. asiaoil says:

It wasn’t all that long ago that the Oilers were know for their bottom 6 forwards – back in the prime of Grier-Marchant-Moreau on the 3rd plus Heavy G, Bucky and all the others. We also used to find useful dmen abandoned at the side of the road all the time. What happened? I’d say look at our pro scouting first off and you have one reason. Our 2nd round picks (really late first rounders for the most part) have also been terrible and this is where you get guys who have talent but can’t bring their offense to the NHL. These days we sign Hordichucks and Barkers and the mgmt teams slaps itself on the back and says good job. But we have zero depth when the inevitable injuries strike. Getting quality bottom of the roster guys is not about money or location – it’s about having a mgmt team that’s savvy and capable of doing more than finishing last and reaping the Biggest Loser prize. We wait……

27. jake70 says:

Bruce McCurdy: Care to elaborate how Oilers management signed a top-drawer UFA while having very little to do with it?

I will, it was Taylor Hall. ;-)

28. Lois Lowe says:

I was half watching the first two periods of last night’s game during Admin Law and I thought they were out playing the Stars. I don’t know what happened in the 3rd, but I thought the Oilers played really well.

29. Captain Obvious says:

According to this site: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201213&sit=5v5close&type=fenwick&teamid=12&pos=skaters&minutes=50&disp=1

The Hemsky line is getting killed at even strength.

The site has some pretty fascinating collection and analysis of data. I’d be interested in hearing a critique of the numbers.

In my view Fenwick numbers are preferable to both corsi and straight goals for. Using his adjustment of Fenwick events for zone start, quality of competition and quality of teammates the above average players on the Oilers are:

Eberle, Hopkins, Hall and Smyth.

Petry and Haartikainen are right around average. Everyone else is below, with Sam Gagner and Corey Potter bringing up the rear.

30. LMHF#1 says:

Captain Obvious:

In my view Fenwick numbers are preferable to both corsi and straight goals for.Using his adjustment of Fenwick events for zone start, quality of competition and quality of teammates the above average players on the Oilers are:

Smyth.

Wouldn’t Smyth’s inclusion in this group make you strongly question the accuracy of this statistical analysis?

31. Captain Obvious says:

LMHF#1,

If you just use Fenwick % without adjusting it Smyth’s numbers are fifth best on the team (49%). So that’s the baseline for evaluating Smyth before adjusting it for context and if you like, shot quality and finishing ability.

In comparison Gagner and Hemsky’s unadjusted Fenwick % is 39%. There is no way to make that number not terrible.

Realistically, the only people not getting outplayed are Hall, Eberle, and Hopkins.

32. prairieschooner says:

33. Rondo says:

Bruce McCurdy,

He choose the team, regardless of management.

34. FPB94 says:

Rondo,

That’s not really proof.

35. VanOil says:

So far most of us have been impressed with Ralph Kruger’s willingness to try something new. All of us have been impressed by Justin Schultz’s play and Yakupov’s shot. So how about some radical thinking and return to conventional use of Rookies;

On defense I would put the vets together Schultz Sr and Whitney. A high risk puck mover and a stay at home guy who can clean up after him. Then Smid and Petry and a middle pair trying to find there top pair form again. Finally start the rookie as your 5th defender having to be extra careful paired with the plumber of your choice. Schultz overall minutes would not be that reduced because he would get all the PP and 4v4 time he could handle. These pairing might sound radical to a Oilers fan but it is how most teams deploy rookies.

On Offence we have little choice of a very young top line, good thing they are very good. I would demote Yakupov to the 3d line as LT suggest with Smyth and PRV moving up. The second line would become defensively better and still have Hemsky as a game breaker. The third line would have a defensive center in Belanger or Horcoff looking after the rookie and Hartikainen providing low puck support and a screen. Like with Schultz he can make up the minutes where he is most needed as a shooter on the power play.

I can’t promise this will make the team better but a more convectional usage of rookies might allow some of our old dogs Whitney and Smyth a chance to contribute with the rookies still getting there shot on the power play.

36. hunter1909 says:

IMO OIlers merely play the similar to the dynasty high stakes pedal to the metal style of hockey that the veteran posters remember increasingly hazily.

1 – Leave the goalie out to hang with the opposition forwards, because the endless counterattacks generated are worth it.

2 – Attack, attack always attack – because that’s the way young people are, and always will be.

3 – Never be afraid to generate controversy – whether it be the Yaks cellie, 3 x 1st overalls, whatever. Champions rarely escape criticism, so fuck worrying about that for a start.

4 – Win lots of championships, or don’t bother getting out of bed all those 4AM’s ago.

37. spoiler says:

It has been said that losing streaks end when you are losing games you should win.

38. FPB94 says:

I for one ain’t worried. I have fresh in mind memories of how putrid that team used to be. They’ve already made a giant step in front.

39. spoiler says:

Rondo: Bruce McCurdy, Justin wanted to play in Canada seeing the young players and potential he chose Oilers as a team he can grow with, and play minutes. Vancouver’s arrow is beginning drop so is Calgary , etc.He choose the team, regardless of management.

Huh?

So he made his choice of team by completely ignoring the management component of the team?

He probably didn’t actually take that call from Coffey either. Or discussed anything with the Halls and Kruegers that Management brought in to entice him.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So far re: Schultz we have two pieces of info that are interesting.

1) apparently Krueger was very important in the selling (I’m sure he was bolstered by Hall, Gre, etc.)

2) apparently he made pals with Gagner who put the thought in his head.

It definitely looks like he got some help making his decision (though he may have made it anyway), but so far the media leaks don’t include mgt.

IIRC ST wasn’t even in that Toronto conference room.

41. russ99 says:

The organization needs to be bold at the deadline and this summer for this team to take the next step.

Not sure if I feel comfortable with Tambellini being the guy in the position that I expect to be bold. Would be much more so with MacTavish.

Hopefully the Fistric deal was a start and not the end of such boldness.

42. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

When a guy on a one year deal makes a referral, the confidence in signing with management has another source.

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Not sure you read me right. I didn’t attribute his decision to Gagner. I merely noted these are the only stories we’ve been told.

Also, as far as the story goes… they met some years ago, prior to Gagner’s current contract talks, and had stayed in touch (IIRC).

From Schultz’ mouth we’ve heard: 1) he wanted to play in canada; 2) he wanted to play with a young, fun group; 3) he was impressed by RK’s presentation

I think it would be silly to suggest mgt. had nothing to do with the situation. They get credit for it, in the same way they get credit for having Taylor Hall on the team.

The question is how much?

44. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Understood exactly what you were crediting Gagner for. We agree that the guy on a 1 year deal wasn’t the confidence builder. That young fun group was relevant is they had credible confidence. If Hall’s confidence in mgmt was content free and persuasive then Schultz is dumber than we think he is.

45. Zipdot says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴: If Hall’s confidence in mgmt was content free Schultz is dumber than we think he is.

I read this a couple times and I can’t figure out what it means.

46. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Zipdot,

Meant to say “content free and persuasive”.. i.e. IF Hall was persuasive blind confidence in mgmt would not have persuaded a bright guy. It’s not what you recommend. It’s the quality of your reasons.

47. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Hall can think mgt. is anywhere from crappy to awesome and still find a credible reason to try and attract people to the team.

Moreover, mgt. in EDM is a hydra-headed beast. Hall and/or Schultz could find confidence in part of the group if not all.

48. jake70 says:

hunter1909:
    IMO OIlers merely play the similar to the dynasty high stakes pedal to the metal style of hockeythat the veteran posters remember increasingly hazily.

We just need the league to mandate some goalie equipment changes, get rid of the Transformers look, and then look out.

49. Traktor says:

Would Colorado trade RoR for Sam Gagner?

50. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Would be nice to know which part of the hydra Hall carried the water for. But we don’t.

51. DeadmanWaking says:

Justin never asked Taylor a single question about Oiler management, and that’s God’s honest truth.

Justin: Do you have, like, a pop machine with, like, free pop, and everything?

Taylor: Pshaw, do we ever!! We’ve got Dublin Dr Pepper, Vernor’s , Baja Blast, Dad’s Cream Soda, Stewart’s Root Beer, and Chaparritas Orange Fizz.

Justin: Chaparritas! Oh, that’s the bomb. Puerto Vallarta Spring Break 2009! Like, sign me up now! Say, who picks out all those great flavours?

Taylor: Well, it sure as hell wasn’t Lowe or Tambellini.

Justin: Pshaw! As if some old guys could do that. Sound like you guys run the place, man. That’s so cool.

[Taylor slips smartphone out from under his blazer into his blazer pocket. Later, he'll smart-wipe the Facebook password Samwise filched from one of Justin's transient college entanglements, after she spilled all the beans about Spring Break 2009.]

And that’s how it went down. Like, right out of Wayne’s World, but with better spy gear.

52. cabbiesmacker says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

You could always watch the latest episode of Oil Change and hear a third reason right from the horses mouth if you wished to.

Nobody’s saying Oiler management had “nothing” to do with Schultz coming here BUT he’d already pretty much decided where he was going.

Management had to show interest. They did. The end.

They’ve always been ok firing harpoons at whales but they’re the shits at looking at the big picture and being proactive.

Stauffer just alluded that the Oilers are working on bringing Grebeshkov back for next year.

I’d love to see that, was a favorite of mine.

He’s be 30 at next training camp.

Hope its true.

54. bookjLe says:

Woodguy:

I’d love to see that, was a favorite of mine.

He’s be 30 at next training camp.

Hope its true.

I checked, it is true, on October 11th. Wikipedia has that kind of info when you are wondering.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

cabbiesmacker:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Management had to show interest. They did. The end.

Isn’t that what I’ve said?

Seems to me Mgt. gets limited kudos for Schultz. Mana from heaven as LT would say.

Mgt. has to be held accountable for the team. and this team has made the playoffs once in over a decade. that is way past unacceptable.

56. Ducey says:

Didn’t RK have a talk with Schultz Jr that helped him decide to come here? Would managment been involved in all that?

Sooner or later people are going to realise all these things “managment” doesn’t do are working out ok.

I think this team misses Horcoff more than most people who don’t like his contract care to admit. The PP has fallen off without him and the other three C’s are playing a situations they are not quite as comfortable with. Belanger with his broken toes is miscast in any kind of offensive role.

Jones instead of Eager would be a big upgrade too.

I am not sure why there is a constant call for a top 4 Dman. The Oilers are 12th in Goals Against and 27th in Goals For. Its the offense thats the problem. I think most agree that that will come from the group they have.

57. eidy says:

Now bring back thoreson. True scandanavian line with mps and harti. That would be a nice third line I’d give up a nut to see that:)

Too soon? Poor Thor.

58. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

bookjLe,

Steve does all his due diligence there.

Grebeshkov would certainly be a MacT call. MacT was about the only coach who was able to stabilize Gresbeshov’s game.

With Krueger as coach, comfortable with Europeans, and the high cost of obtaining defensemen in trade or as UFA’s, bringing Grebeshkov back would certainly be a value-for-money acquisition for next year.

Gresbeshkov can certainly play the game that Krueger wants the Oilers to play.

godot10,

Krueger would have also probably coached against Grebeshkov already, and would be familiar with his strengths and weaknesses already.

61. Henry says:

godot10:
    Grebeshkov would certainly be a MacT call.MacT was about the only coach who was able to stabilize Gresbeshov’s game.

Gresbeshkov can certainly play the game that Krueger wants the Oilers to play.

IMO Grebeshkov’s progression during his time in Edmonton was some of the best evidence that Charlie Huddy is a good, good coach of the D and that his release was a massive loss for the Oilers.

62. hunter1909 says:

Does Whitney ever play for the team again?

Tambellini from what one gathers, is averse to “disloyal” behaviour like his.

63. tubes says:

I really do not understand the continually whining about EVERYTHING wrong with this team. You can’t fathom for a second that management had anything to do with getting Schultz?? I’m sure Gretzky and Coffey picked up the phone on their own and that it was Hall who came up with the idea to join the meet and greet right? The guy can’t pass an online boat exam but he’s going to come up with the genius idea to court him in person? Tambo isn’t the best GM by any stretch and Lowe & Co. have made their mistakes, but the foundation to the rebulid is here.

The Oilers are years away, just deal with it. Embrace the growing pains and enjoy the wins. Unless half the team magically gets bigger/better/smarter/stronger, we are going to lose at least 40-50% of the games. And for Christ’s sake, stop those fucking DUUUU and NUUUU chants.

64. Marc says:

Traktor:
    Would Colorado trade RoR for Sam Gagner?

I doubt it. It makes sense for the Oilers because O’Reilly is younger and a better all around player than Gagner, but it makes no sense for Colorado.

Colorado already has a 1 (Duchesne) and 2 (Stasny) center. Gagner, who’s got to be expecting $4M+ next season would give them effectively two second line centers, earning $11M between them, neither of which is particularly good defensively. Why would they do that?

I think Bobby Ryan or Phil Kessel make the most sense for Colorado, or one of Philly’s young centers.

65. gogliano says:

I, for one, endorse the return of Grebs.

66. hunter1909 says:

tubes,

I failed that exam.

67. Lois Lowe says:

I miss the acid comments that came with Grebs.

68. FPB94 says:

I was always full of love for Grebs. Was sad to see him go.

The trouble with O’Reilly is that he wants too much money. The two-year Duschene offer is a more than fair offer. Good player, but he is not value-for-money at over $5 million per season on a long term deal.

Gagner put in 5 year of 40 plus points and got $3.2 million for one year. O’Reilly had one good offensive year, playing with the beast Landeskog, and he wants Benn’s contract, and he turned down two years @ $3.5 million per season.

I think the cluster will attract UFA’s on better value-for-money deals.

70. Bruce McCurdy says:

prairieschooner: Where is our “seer” to interpret what we did to annoy the hockey Gods last night, because when the Dallas first goal went in I instantly thought about the Tiger /Rory golf commercial and then realised that it was a real goal that counted so it must be unworldly forces at work.

I had that exact same thought. I expected the stripes to pull a glass of water out of the net with the goddamned puck in it.

Lois Lowe:
    Imiss the acid comments that came with Grebs.

Well now that Gilbert is gone I’m not sure anyone on the team would be his new acid connection.

72. FPB94 says:

godot10,

Depends on what you get him for. If you get rid of Horcoff’s contract (somehow) or Whitney (and definitely Khabibulin) why would you care?

Most of the kids are already reupped or making 3,75M$

73. pboy says:

gogliano: I, for one, endorse the return of Grebs.Nice age bracket for a defenseman and he is playing in the second best league in the world. Almost surely a notch above Potter and Peckham, no?

The tin foil hat manufacturers in Edmonton would like to see Grebs back, as well.

Stauffer was dropping J.Shultz hints from the day Gilbert was traded.

Traktor:
    Would Colorado trade RoR for Sam Gagner?

Hi Traktor

Good to see you around.

76. spoiler says:

Grebeshkov…

Is that the half-bubble off plumb guy?

77. Bruce McCurdy says:

hunter1909:

“all those 4AM’s ago” … the man is a poet.

That is a great summary of Oilers past & hopefully, future. Although maybe a hybrid Attack Defend Attack might be in order.

78. Bruce McCurdy says:

eidy: Too soon? Poor Thor.

Sore Thor, more like it.

79. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: Stauffer was dropping J.Shultz hints from the day Gilbert was traded.

What are you saying, that trading Gilbert was part of the master plan and that management had it all figured out?

Or that it was 100% Schultz’s decision, he made it back in February, and all of that “26 teams making serious offers” stuff was window dressing?

80. Ducey says:

Woodguy: Stauffer was dropping J.Shultz hints from the day Gilbert was traded.That decision was made long before the Oilers management was officially allowed to talk to J.Shultz.

81. Rebilled says:

I thought the trade was Gilbert back to Minnesota and N. Schultz back to Canada.

Ducey: For a guy that likes stats (hard evidence) in interpreting the game, you sure fall easily into conjecture.

Given that you know I like hard info, why do you suppose I’m falling for conjecture?