CANUCKS AT OILERS, G9 (12-13) 4.2.13

The first time Edmonton and Vancouver played each other, the power in the division belonged to Chicago. The “Smythe” division predictions for 1979-80 had the Blackhawks #1, followed by three very young clubs in this order: Vancouver, St. Louis and Edmonton. Winnipeg had been crushed in the expansion draft and the Colorado Rockies weren’t expected to score goals under new coach Don Cherry (but they did lead the league in trades).

The first game between Edmonton and Vancouver was played Sunday, October 14, 1979 in Edmonton’s Northlands Colisuem. It was a 4-4 tie.

oilers canucks oc 79

I bet Risto Siltanen drilled the end boards with slapshots 11 times that night. This is a nice boxscore because it includes Allan Hamilton, Gretzky, Messier, Dave Dryden and of course Stan Weir. Nice.

smid4

We’re beginning to get some insight into how Ralph Krueger is using his defense. With a rookie in Justin Schultz, a veteran with issues in Ryan Whitney and a top pairing that is -3 (each) after 8 games, there’s room for improvement.

QUALITY OF COMPETITION

d qualcomp

They all look pretty closely clustered, especially the top 4D as listed here. I’m not certain there’s a lot of information we can gain yet via this graphic (anyone?) save for the TOI/60 at 5×5 is pretty damn close. RK seems to be rolling, rolling, rolling based on time-on-ice and this qual comp graph after 8 games.

ZONE START

d zone start

This gives us some confirmation of what the F zone starts showed us: Krueger is more interested in getting his best players into offensive situations than any matchup advantage he might gain. All of the pairings you’d expect to get a zone start push (any pairing with J Schultz) gets it, and then the veteran pairings take the rest. Great idea, I just wish Krueger had 6 healthy men.

CORSI REL

d corsi rel

This looks like a decent match for the F Corsi Rel if the Nuge line and the Schultz party of two lined up a lot of the time

f corsi rel

Good match, right? In a thread below (the Martindale one) Woodguy posted a link that showed the top 2 D pairings playing most of their 5×5 time with the Nuge line. Conclusion: Ralph’s a wizard. And the top pairing of Smid and Petry should be doing better, correct?

dubnyk

Dubnyk is having a nice start to the season but I’m not certain we should expect a major correction anytime soon, at least at even-strength.

• 11-12SP EV: .927
  • 12-13SP EV: .922
  • 11-12SP PK: .854
  • 12-13SP PK: .926

So at evens, Dubnyk’s current level of play is less than what we saw one year ago. His penalty-killing SP ranks 5th among goalies who have played 3 or more games so far this season–that total may have some correcting to do.

The Oilers have to get this roster situation straightened away. Currently, the 23 man roster looks like this:

1. G Devan Dubnyk
  2. G Nikolai Khabibulin (has not played)
  3. D Ladislav Smid
  4. D Jeff Petry
  5. D Nick Schultz
  6. D Justin Schultz
  7. D Ryan Whitney
  8. D Corey Potter
  9. D Mark Fistric
  10. D Theo Peckham (has not played)
  11. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  12. C Sam Gagner
  13. C Shawn Horcoff
  14. C Anton Lander
  15. L Taylor Hall
  16. L Nail Yakupov
  17. L Ryan Smyth
  18. L Teemu Hartikainen
  19. L Darcy Hordichuk
  20. R Ales Hemsky
  21. R Jordan Eberle
  22. R Lennart Petrell
  23. R Magnus Paajarvi

IR: C Eric Belanger, L Ben Eager, D Andy Sutton, R Ryan Jones

Khabibulin will play soon, but the Peckham situation is galling. I understand the need to protect depth and Peckham shouldn’t be shuffled for nothing. However, the club should either IR Ryan Whitney or risk waivers on Peckham or Potter. That extra roster spot, combined with Hordichuk being on the roster at all, make it difficult for the coach to make moves that give the hockey club their best chance to win.

And, as a fan, that’s frustrating.

turnbull, ashby, weir

I think management of the current team could learn a thing or two from the 1979-80 crew, who had some veteran savvy up the middle.

With Belanger out, we have to assume Horcoff the warrior is back in. The lineup might look like this tonight:

• RNH-Hall-Eberle
  • Gagner-Yakupov-Hemsky
  • Horcoff-Smyth-Petrell
  • Lander-Hartikainen-Paajarvi
  • Smid-Petry
  • Schultz-Schultz
  • Fistric-Potter
  • Dubnyk with NK backup
  • HS: Whitney, Peckham, Hordichuk

463 Responses to "CANUCKS AT OILERS, G9 (12-13) 4.2.13"

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »
  1. Ryan says:

PRV with a big hit and driving the net. Wow.

2. khildahl says:

Wow. Hartikainen is taking vintage-Smyth levels of abuse tonight.

3. Rebilled says:

Here comes the garbage

4. khildahl says:

What a terrible call.

5. hunter1909 says:

The patented Smyth to Horcoff play. Works every time.

At least it’s 1-0.

6. Ryan says:

Did elder just fall?

Honestly, what a horrible penalty call. I hate the Canucks.

8. spoiler says:

Kris11:
    Actually, Captain Happy/DSF has never once claimed to be an Oiler fan, IIRC. He is clearly a Canucks fan and a fan of any team that looks like a good bandwagon to jump on in the future. He is. the sort of fan who just wants to be a fan of the winning team so as to taunt others. This sort of fan-troll existed before the internet and will be with us always,

;op

9. hunter1909 says:

I don’t mind the Avs, the Yotes, the Flames even this year so far…but the Nucks just can’t be liked for some reason.

10. gogliano says:

2 minutes for a Canuck’s fall leading to a scoring chance.

11. BlacqueJacque says:

SMYTTY!

Bahaha I love that it’s a garbage dribbler.

12. Rebilled says:

SMYTTYYY!!!!!!!

13. SK Oiler Fan says:

There’s one terrible call. Smytty!

RYAN. FREAKING SMYTH!!!!

15. spoiler says:

Take that stupid refs!

16. khildahl says:

Smytty!!!! With a one-timer!!!!

17. Gret99zky says:

karma for that shit penalty call

18. voxwah says:

Hell ya, atta boy Ryan!

Smyth (Lander)

20. khildahl says:

Goes in off Edler. Fucking justice. :) :) :)

21. "Steve Smith" says:

Still plenty of time left in the penalty – we can get another one.

22. Rebilled says:

GARBAGE! GARBAGE!

23. Lucinius says:

Hahaha, Smytty. Lander with the assist is gold.

24. bookjLe says:

Blistering shot by Smyth

25. Smarmy says:

A very smitty like goal.

26. leadfarmer says:

Hey where did captain happy go?

27. gogliano says:

OFF OF EDLER. fantastic

28. spoiler says:

Look up rink rat in the dictonary and I swear to god there’s nothing there but a picture of Ryan Smyth.

29. delooper says:

Hee hee. Man, the Oilers aren’t supposed to be this good this early. This is nice.

30. khildahl says:

What flavour is that muffin?

31. B S says:

Smyth! from Lander, that’s the most beautiful goal I’ve seen all season.

32. ASkoreyko says:

Paajarvi driving to the new. Good arrows falling from the sky now.

I blame RK. He has the audacity to actually explain to the players what he wants/expects from them in their role.

Imagine!

33. B S says:

Except for that stupid penalty on Yak, I’ve been giggling all game. Now I’m in hysterics.

DSF in 5…4….3…Hansen is a pretty good player.

35. fuzzy muppet says:

Corey Potter is not good…

Nice glove save by Dubnyk there.

37. bookjLe says:

spoiler: Actually he has. But wow, you said that with the confidence of someone who has read and remembers every single post this blog and ON has ever seen!

;op

Captain Happy made it clear that he was a season ticket holder for about 20 years. He became tremendously disillusioned with the Oilers under Lowe’s leadership and essentially abandoned ship about the time when the Oilers were chasing Heatley around the country with a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates.

Now he seems to get his kicks poking at Oiler fans, not so much the knowledgeable discussions/debates, he tends to drop out of them quickly, but he really feeds off of people debating his pseudo arguments and selective stats.

He shows a good knowledge for the game, but his bitterness for the Oilers is deep. He reminds me of the guy who started spying for the Russians to get back at his ex-wife. That is bitter!

Anyway, he has been off his game lately, he is slacking in his criticism and lots of time he is just lazily making stuff up. I think he is starting to like the Oilers again and is very uncomfortable with these positive emotions he is feeling.

He is old and retired now so its hard for him to adapt, but I expect he will be back being an Oiler fan again soon.

38. Lucinius says:

And Dubnyk decides to let in a shitter. Yay?

39. SK Oiler Fan says:

Nice response by DD

40. delooper says:

If MPS can be the player he is in this game for the rest of the season, he’ll be a pleasantly big plus on the year.

Both coaches seem to favor the Sedin-Nuge matchup. That means Nuge is going to pass Gagner before Horcoff lets go the coat. I think Gagner could handle it, but they’d need to give him Hall.

42. leadfarmer says:

B S,

Seriously your gonna bust my balls for the smallest technicallity. And hiking, your comparing hard physical activtity to hiking. If you would have continued googling you would have noticed that Denver is at 5280 feet above sea level. But at this point I’m pretty sure you are argueing with me just to argue cause if you actually watched the game you would have noticed that without Horcoff and with Belanger either in the locker room or skating with a broken foot the team was just gassed halfway through the game. But in case your were wondering it takes about a week to acclimate fairly well, but not fully, to elevation but it takes about 120 days for those red blood cells to die.

43. fuzzy muppet says:

They are getting murdered on faceoffs

44. leadfarmer says:

Does anyone know why Paajarvi switched to forward. He seems like he would be a better defenseman.

45. Ryan says:

bookjLe,

Wow. Just wow.

I vaguely remembered something about that, but you remembered that verbatim.

I’m more used to the friendly sarcastic Bookje, not the Chris Langan version.

46. khildahl says:

GET OUT OF THE EFFING WAY.

That’s two breakaways for Hall stopped by a zebra tonight.

47. bookjLe says:

leadfarmer:
    Does anyone know why Paajarvi switched to forward.He seems like he would be a better defenseman.

48. Ryan says:

bookjLe: Are you that guy who has been arguing to make Paajarvi a defensman for the past 2 years?

No, that was me. Honestly, I was one of them.

49. striatic says:

i’ve got a bad feeling about this.

50. Ryan says:

Ryan: No, that was me.Honestly, I was one of them.

My handle used to be lowonoil. I used to have that oilers blog too–lowonoil.com. Gone now.

Horcoff to the dressing room after blocking a shot as per Jason Gregor on twitter.

52. hunter1909 says:

You know, I like the Canucks as a rival. I think tonight’s game has shown some of the elements of sublime hockey we all expect to be played in future between these two storied teams.

53. spoiler says:

bookjLe: Captain Happy made it clear that he was a season ticket holder for about 20 years.He became tremendously disillusioned with the Oilers under Lowe’s leadership and essentially abandoned ship about the time when the Oilers were chasing Heatley around the country with a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates.

He shows a good knowledge for the game, but his bitterness for the Oilers is deep.He reminds me of the guy who started spying for the Russians to get back at his ex-wife.That is bitter!

Anyway, he has been off his game lately, he is slacking in his criticism and lots of time he is just lazily making stuff up.I think he is starting to like the Oilers again and is very uncomfortable with these positive emotions he is feeling.

That’s been his story lately, and I would have to climb back through ancient HF threads to prove this, but it seems to me he was legendary even before Heatley.

Back in the Distinctly Silly Fux days.

54. khildahl says:

There’s no damn way the Oilers only had 4 shots in that period.

55. SK Oiler Fan says:

Fk, is Arnott in shape yet?

56. russ99 says:

Schultz sure doesn’t look like a rookie.

Would like to see a few of those knuckling wristers go in the net more often, but he’s been stellar for us so far.

57. striatic says:

Burrows looked surprised to see his shot deflected.

J. Schultz has a cloaking device.

58. bookjLe says:

spoiler,

I was never a part of the HF threads, but I do find Cap Happy interesting. He is so very dedicated to the craft of trolling and is so much better at it than most. I think he is very lonely.

Schultz covers a tremendous amount of territory, he’s like an old timey Hab that way.

60. hunter1909 says:

The idea of Whitney returning is like…

Let’s put it this way. Compared to 2013 Whitney, Horcoff is Jean Beliveau.

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH

2nd period chances: 3-5; 1-1 ST. After 40 min: 10-8; 2-2 ST

62. delooper says:

Schultz isn’t a noisy skater. So he can catch up to fast guys without the prototypical “zip zip zip” of skates ripping up ice.

If the Oilers had another Petry-Smid combo they’d be a really fierce team. Their forward group is turning into something really nice. They just need to pick up a cheap free agent Petry-Smid type combo this off-season and they’re in beautiful shape.

63. Gret99zky says:

Canucks with 75% face offs. yikes.

64. russ99 says:

Also, there’s a difference in Schultz’s play between OKC and here. In OKC he rushed the puck almost up to the crease before unleashing those lethal wristers, and here he’s being much more defensively responsible.

65. russ99 says:

Gret99zky,

66. Gret99zky says:

refs corsi must be through the roof tonight. they have touches in every zone.

The keys in this third period are being one D down and possibly Horcoff being hurt too. Dubnyk should be able to get this to OT with a little help, but the Canucks are beginning to swarm. If I had to make a guess, it would be a questionable call against the Oil and VAN scores early in the third to tie and late in the frame to kill.

But maybe that’s last year’s script, ladies and men.

68. khildahl says:

wordbird:
    ManHorse!

I’m not sure if that’s awesome or terrifying.

69. Lois Lowe says:

striatic:

J. Schultz has a cloaking device.

Makes sense as he looks a touch Romulan.

70. hunter1909 says:

russ99: That happens when you’re running out there with 2 and a half centers. Hopefully Horc can shake off his injury.

Can Whitney play centre?

71. Captain Happy says:

Spent last week in hospital getting a tumour removed (no, not a brain tumour) so don’t have a whole lot of energy to respond when my bullshit meter gets pinned in the red.

But, I have been tracking what happens when Paajarvi touches the puck tonight…good thing he made that drive to the net because everything else has been an almost immediate turnover.

72. spoiler says:

bookjLe:
    spoiler,

I was never a part of the HF threads, but I do find Cap Happy interesting. He is so very dedicated to the craft of trolling and is so much better at it than most.I think he is very lonely.

Oh don’t worry, I know you weren’t, lol.

I rarely visited HF, preferring OilFans till LT fired up. MJ is a close friend of mine, so I stayed there for a while, but the discussion here was far too good to avoid. Lots of posters here came from OF… Dennis used to write articles there. Miss the CIO boyz tho’, especially Latka Gravas, Vic Ferrari.

73. striatic says:

the injury situation is going to make surviving the 3rd very difficult.

oilers need at least a point out of this one, in order to maintain their shot at 3 for 5 in the second 5 game segment.

74. khildahl says:

Lois Lowe: Makes sense as he looks a touch Romulan.

No, I think it’s more the Klingon ship from the sixth movie. You only know where he is if you see where the shot came from.

Captain Happy: Hope all is well.

76. striatic says:

Lois Lowe: Makes sense as he looks a touch Romulan.

dammit you’re right!

this explains so much.

77. Gret99zky says:

wordbird:
    ManHorse!

I’m not going to race him. I’m going to put him out to stud.

78. bookjLe says:

spoiler: Oh don’t worry, I know you weren’t, lol.

Not sure how long I have been hanging out here, 4 years or something like that – its a blur, with a busy career, young kids, etc. its difficult to keep track of time.

79. bookjLe says:

Captain Happy: Most of this is true…except for your characterization of “knowledgeable discussions”.

I look forward to you becoming an Oiler fan again. Best of luck in getting back up to speed on the health front.

80. SK Oiler Fan says:

Well it’s been 2 horseshit calls per game so far so against Van I wouldexpect 1 more.
    Alot of talk about horses tonight so I’ll add another: Lappiere is a horses ass

81. "Steve Smith" says:

spoiler:Miss the CIO boyz tho’, especially Latka Gravas, Vic Ferrari.

IOF. CIO was DMFB, Winterz, and Chris!.

Horcoff out. Frack!

83. "Steve Smith" says:

Horcoff out. Frack!

Nothing holding VDV back now!

“Steve Smith”: Nothing holding VDV back now!

Nor House. Stupid Pouliot. He’d be next up!

RK had a chance to change the Nordics against the Sedins but waived it off. Interesting.

86. spoiler says:

Smid on Sedin showing us what a first pairing defenseman looks like.

87. Ice Sage says:

Oil showing their malaise again

88. striatic says:

Lowetide: Horcoff out. Frack!

missing Horcoff AND Belanger.

what the hell, man?

89. spoiler says:

“Steve Smith”: IOF.CIO was DMFB, Winterz, and Chris!.

Absolutely, you’re right. Was trying to beat the edit time on my phone with that paragraph and went with the first acronym that popped to mind.

90. "Steve Smith" says:

Ice Sage:
    Oil showing theirmalaise again

I’d characterize it as lassitude, personally.

91. hunter1909 says:

Phil Esposito.

92. hunter1909 says:

FFS stick MPS in the slot just to cause havoc.

93. striatic says:

has RNH always taped his stick white?

94. Rebilled says:

Finally Christ

95. spoiler says:

That was a great shift by L2. They had a total over-match, but they took advantage of it.

Yakupov is such a splendid young talent and he’s just getting started. Lordy.

97. hunter1909 says:

Bolshoi Beckons for Nail post-hockey career.

98. khildahl says:

Whoa. Yakupov drew a penalty. I was starting to think the rulebook contains an “unless you’re obstructing a Russian rookie” clause on every rule this year.

Oilers need to get a PP goal here, folks.

100. hunter1909 says:

Stupid game. Refs take 2 out of top 3 stars.

PS: Say…Dubnyk’s looking like a keeper, isn’t he?

101. SK Oiler Fan says:

Well there’s the dumb penalty of the game

Hemsky with a really nice block out and then gets the puck down the ice on the PK.

103. spoiler says:

Having been through it twice myself and survived 11 years free now, I wish you all the pleasure and joy I’ve been blessed to have since and more.

104. SK Oiler Fan says:

Am I sick of seeing poke checks at the Van blue! Dump the dam puck

105. BlacqueJacque says:

If the Oilers manage to establish themselves in the zone… I would be SO happy

106. hunter1909 says:

Dubnyk would kick ass if he started channelling his inner Billy Smith.

107. Ice Sage says:

Waters part for J Schultz…

108. BlacqueJacque says:

Beastly effort by Hall.

Can’t believe Luongo stopped Eberle.

109. "Steve Smith" says:

The nice thing about not getting any shots is that we’re keeping Luongo’s save percentage down.

Taylor Hall is a 454 and 50 miles of open blacktop.

111. spoiler says:

Hall is the Blackfoot word for lightning.

112. delooper says:

Taylor Hall!

113. BlacqueJacque says:

I think Smyth has quietly been our best forward tonight.

114. Rebilled says:

I love how they stop the play when its us!!!!!

115. khildahl says:

Rebilled,

Ref wasn’t looking anywhere near the puck.

116. jake70 says:

As much fun the skill lines can be, its great to see those muckers creating chaos around the opposition net.

117. hunter1909 says:

Seriously, can someone work out a chart that proves Whitney is as big a liability as I think he is?

118. SK Oiler Fan says:

The Hall line is starting to pound the Canucks after playing them straight up all night. Holy crap people this is going to be a fun few years.

120. Ice Sage says:

Makeup call for the Yak – Edler incident; good time to keep up PP appearances

121. striatic says:

SK Oiler Fan: MacT keeps in good shape doesn’t he? maybe he can win a draw. They have lost every dam one this period

i’ve heard worse ideas.

No passengers tonight, this is balls out hockey by the Oilers. They’re going to have to put Smyth in stasis until Wednesday.

123. Lucinius says:

Oilers need to utilize the point shot on the powerplay more. Just to change things up. They’re getting easier to defend against on the powerplay because they are sticking with the down-low play for attempts on net. Which don’t work unless you force the pk to spread out due to point play.

124. khildahl says:

SK Oiler Fan:

Tangent: I’d like to get a helmet moulded and painted to look like MacT’s hair circa 1990.

125. striatic says:

PP seems to be too cerebral lately.

not saying they need to shoot more but the passes need to be quicker.

126. In the Grease says:

Missed the Fistric injury – what happened?

127. OilLeak says:

SK Oiler Fan:

No No No, RNH has won 3 and Gagner has 1 this period, lol.

128. jake70 says:

David Staples in a column a few days ago suggested Nuge set things up on the PP from behind the net. Be worth a try.

129. In the Grease says:

Lucinius:

Agreed … doesn’t seem to be much danger of a wicked point shot coming in for the other team to worry about…

130. Lucinius says:

In the Grease:
    Missed the Fistric injury – what happened?

He butt-checked the boards.

131. khildahl says:

In the Grease:
    Missed the Fistric injury – what happened?

The boards got a bit too truculent and he taught them a lesson.

132. Ice Sage says:

Typical.

133. jake70 says:

Lol, I was typing the question, when does Van tie it.

134. khildahl says:

Well, shit. Wanted to keep a point from them tonight.

135. Lucinius says:

There it is. Sigh.

Crap. You had a feeling, though.

137. In the Grease says:

Ouch… what’s the injury? hip?

138. striatic says:

NEED to at least get them to OT.

139. In the Grease says:

ahhhhhh. no!

140. khildahl says:

I think OT favours us.

141. hunter1909 says:

Oilers steal a Bettman pt.

And played a great game of hockey, against a superior team, for now.

Sedins look like Beavis. Or is it Butthead?

142. BlacqueJacque says:

Now that we’ve gotten Magnus to initiate contact, maybe we can convince him to follow through. Just imagine what he could do if he leaned into his hits and put his weight behind them.

143. spoiler says:

Paajarvi rewarded for a good game with a shift on L2 at the end of the period.

144. Ice Sage says:

At least oilers trying in last 2 min. Hope it carries into OT

145. voxwah says:

I’d say getting a point in this game is a big thing. Lots of character shown with the injuries.

spoiler:
    Paajarvi rewarded for a good game with a shift on L2 at the end of the period.

Great point. I think RK likes that 4line.

spoiler:
    Paajarvi rewarded for a good game with a shift on L2 at the end of the period.

148. SK Oiler Fan says:

That’s DDs point there

149. striatic says:

got the point they needed.

need a win against Dallas to win the 5 game segment, but at least they’ve put themselves into position to do that.

150. spoiler says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Now that we’ve gotten Magnus to initiate contact, maybe we can convince him to follow through.Just imagine what he could do if he leaned into his hits and put his weight behind them.

You mean like he did in the first period? Looked good.

151. khildahl says:

So many people assuming we’ve lost in here. This team is built for 4-on-4. (well, 2 lines anyway)

152. delooper says:

Hunter: I believe it’s grammatically correct to say the Canucks got the Bettman point. In a tie, the most recent team to score a goal gets the “Bettman point”.

153. In the Grease says:

Yak for the win?

154. Chris says:

What’s Nuge got to do to buy a goal this year? Geeze the kid’s gone Adam Oates with the goal scoring on us.

155. Ice Sage says:

Oilers not finding any rebounds

156. spoiler says:

If that shot by Hall had gone in, it would have been Crosby-like.

157. fuzzy muppet says:

PENALTY SHOT!!!!!

158. BlacqueJacque says:

Hallsy’s rockets finally earn us a lil’ somethin’-somethin’.

159. hunter1909 says:

Penalty Shot!!

Does it count for his shot percentage, lol.

160. Chris says:

Damn Hall kicks in the nitro….

161. khildahl says:

Penalty shot in OT. Wow.

162. spoiler says:

Wow. Just wow. About everything.

163. jake70 says:

Can anyone take it??

164. Ice Sage says:

Hal’s time is now

come on, kid. One time

166. In the Grease says:

holy Hall

167. voxwah says:

Bah, man that would have been awesome.

168. Chris says:

Yea that wasn’t exactly the triple deke….

crap. Still time.

170. fuzzy muppet says:

Can you imagine if Hall had Eberle’s hands?? Unstoppable

171. SK Oiler Fan says:

Could eberle have taken that? Hall looked gassed

172. spoiler says:

godot10: Actually, it was two shifts, with Krueger shortening the bench going for the win, then the tie.

It was, but I think the first shift was more about fresh legs. The second one was definitely a reward, although Kruges generally protects 64 late in periods of tight games.

173. khildahl says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Can you imagine if Hall had Eberle’s hands??Unstoppable

The universe would cease to exist, I think.

174. jake70 says:

This team will learn to put their boot on the throats of their opposition eventually.

175. Ice Sage says:

Canucks can trade Luongo any time now

176. hunter1909 says:

Start the shootout with Yakupov/Hall, FFS!

Great game whatever the score. Whatever, Oilers get a point and the Flames are bravely holding 15th in the Conference.

Hilarious watching just how useless the rookie Yaks is, unless he’s scoring a goal lol.

177. BlacqueJacque says:

Yak and Eberle… not my… nm.

Not really good game =/

178. khildahl says:

Fuck.

179. Chris says:

Eberle looked exhausted on that shift.

180. fuzzy muppet says:

Bah…good effort, short handed and all.

This team needs another NHL defenseman in the worst way

181. Lucinius says:

Feh.

Got a point at least?

Oh, those kids. They deserved better tonight. Tremendous battle, balls out. I’m proud of this bunch and that’s for sure.

Holy. Taylor Hall is incredible.

183. striatic says:

fuck.

184. delooper says:

Well, that was a pretty good game, Edmonton.

185. In the Grease says:

heartbreaker

186. SK Oiler Fan says:

64 in no man’s land there

187. khildahl says:

Nice effort on the attempted block for Yak, but I’m glad it missed him instead of giving him a concussion.

188. Ice Sage says:

Sad. Bad teams find a way to lose. The illusion of those first 1/2 dozen games is gone. Playoffs???? Playoffs!?! Ha!

189. jake70 says:

This last minute BS is so tired.

190. spoiler says:

Aww fuck. Still I liked what I saw tonight. Shots for and against were the big issue again, but this is a young team and they’re meeting the challenges with lots of mettle. Everyone has taken a step up in terms of the qualcomp they’re facing and some struggling is a reasonable expectation.

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH

Final chance tally: 18-18; 2-3 ST

Ice Sage:
    Sad.Bad teams find a way to lose.The illusion of those first 1/2 dozen games is gone.Playoffs???? Playoffs!?! Ha!

The Oilers are playing hockey. The wins will come. I don’t mind the growing pains as much now that they are actually playing hockey.

193. khildahl says:

Kevin Bieksa has the kind of face that just begs to be hit until it stops looking so douchey.

194. striatic says:

ok. so they got a point.

so they just need to beat dallas on wednesday and they end up winning the second 5 game segment.

dammit.

195. Lucinius says:

Powerplay is what let the Oilers down today, imo. I know, Hemsky’s goal. But the other two were so.. bleh. had the opportunities. Good goaltending stymied us. That and the first line needs to shoot the bloody puck. Marvelous players to a man, but they need to put those on net to score.

Ice Sage:

Nah, its not that bad. This team has some depth issues–center is a problem and we know that–but they were playing the class of the division tonight. I’ll give you the Colorado game, they needed to be better.

But this game? If you walk away with anything, know that this team is going to be in some very good places.

And soon.

197. BlacqueJacque says:

Did they deserve better? 25 shots vs 40.

Before you yell injuries, I’m just going to kindly point out that Kesler is probably worth more than Horc and Belanger combined.

198. cabbiesmacker says:

Eberle and Yakupov ? You’re such a prankster Ralphie.

Would the Oilers have been 10% in the FO circle tonight?

Thinking there’s something up with Nuge. Injury we haven’t been told about maybe.

« Older CommentsNewer Comments »