COYOTES AT OILERS G17 (12-13) 23.2.13

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins won’t turn 20 until April, but he’s shown us plenty in the months since he was drafted. RNH is proving to be outstanding at puck retrieval, passing and getting out of tight places. If his season long slump (not only is he not scoring, the Nuge isn’t hitting the net) continues we’ll have to re-think his offense but it’s clear he has a nice range of skills even as a teenager. If the Oilers ever get out Shawshank, I believe they’ll one day bask in a warm place with no memory.

• I must admit I didn’t think much of Andy first time I laid eyes on him; looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over. That was my first impression of the man.

My pre-draft worries over the Nuge began with this: he looked like the paperboy who delivers the Gazette. In early June of 2011, I wrote the following about him: “it’s a crapshoot. Ten years from now, the best player in this draft might be RNH, or Larsson, or Landeskog, or Huberdeau or Couturier. Hell, it COULD be Mika Zibanejad. The back story tells so well and the skill set sounds like a dream. I’m not certain Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is the best player available, but I don’t know that he isn’t either. If MBS likes another better, so be it. However, these long days from the entry draft everything points to a match made in heaven.”  The fall arrived and the Nuge was facing all kinds of questions: is he strong enough? big enough? can he skate fast enough? Can he play in the NHL and still have time to deliver the Gazette?

• His first night in the joint, Andy Dufresne cost me two packs of cigarettes. He never made a sound.

The kid’s rookie season was ridiculous, especially on the PP where he posted a 20-assist season in 62 games (most PP assists by a rookie forward since 2007-08 when Nicklas Backstrom had 22 and Patrick Kane had 21). His patience and ability to elude checkers was a thing of beauty, he had a sixth sense about pressure and of course he was not well known to the NHL world. It was a wonderful season.

• Get busy living, or get busy dying.

The Nuge is something else. I hope he gets that shoulder straightened out before the fall, because his long term health is far more important than the current state of affairs.

hemsky14

Michael Parkatti has a great blog (Boys On the Bus) and he’s doing excellent work; it’s a must-see for Oiler fans. His post-game breakdowns are scary as hell but informative. Consider this from last game, in reference to shots for/shots against:

• Parkatti: Have a look at the curious nights by the men who started on the 2nd line.  Gagner and Hemsky ended the night tied for a team worst -12.  This is, of course, now the 9th time in 16 games Gagner has ended in the bottom 3 skaters for Corsi.  But the young Russian who started on their wing somehow ended the night +4, for the 3rd best Corsi rate on the team.  At some point it seems like Hartikainen was slotted onto the second line whereafter the entire trio got scalped at even strength.

It’s kind of a mystery. Tyler Dellow tweeted out last night that he’s going to do a post on it, but also tweeted this:

tyler

Well, we’re not alone anyway. It looks as though this is a pretty big problem. I wish Frank Mahovlich were 25 years old, or that Dustin Penner was being traded back to Edmonton. One seems as likely as the other, however. I think the following are contributing factors to the Gagner-Hemsky elevator shaft:

• Lack of chemistry with the gifted Yakupov. Hemsky can’t find him because the Rocket Russian can’t stand still and find some quiet ice. This is short term, but is having an impact.
  • Too much individual effort. All three players (Sam, Ales and Nail) like to carry the puck but all three are also terrific passers. A little more passing and a little less one on four is in order. In the immortal words of Billy Ashley, the pitchers are reading this line.
  • Attention to detail. Hemsky’s reverse pass the other night should have had a good result, but this Oiler defense is often a grenade without a pin. I think–especially in their own zone–a north-south approach to real estate is in order. Icing the puck isn’t a terrible result, and Ales had room to skate on that play.
  • Small sample size. Tyler mentioned this in his tweets that we’re not yet at game 20, and that’s an important factor in all of this mess. The scoring chance metric shows this trio doing much better than the Corsi, and so we can hope that this thing trends back to the median.
  • Inexperience: All three LW options (Nail, Hartikainen, Paajarvi) are younger options. If the Oilers had Scott Hartnell or even Dustin Penner I think the results would be better at this point in time.

The trio isn’t horrible offensively.

5×5/60 (behind the net)

1. Gagner 1.83
  2. Yakupov 1.44
  3. Hemsky 1.31

These are not world beating numbers, but another point for each and we’d be talking about a pretty good year (Gagner would be tied with Hall for the team lead with an assist or goal) and once again it’s early.

5×4/60 (behind the net)

1. Gagner 8.72 (leads team)
  2. Hemsky 8.43
  3. Yakupov 5.48

Gagner is last year’s Nuge so far, posting 16, 2-7-9 early season numbers with the man advantage. Hemsky is almost as impressive (16, 4-2-6) and Yakupov (16, 3-2-5) has been impressive (his shot is ridiculous) with the man advantage.

There’s a lot of chatter about the Oilers being out of this thing already, but I’m not buying. Yet. I do believe Steve Tambellini could help things by adding a defenseman but the availability of useful help may not be strong at this time. Even if they don’t make a move, the Oilers should have enough to get on at least one very good run here in the next few weeks. Will it be enough? Don’t know. There are a lot of “middling” teams in the west right now, owing (I expect) to the quick training camp, injuries and schedule. I don’t think we should be talking draft lottery just yet.

Taylor Hall (Oilers Street Fighting Man) is out today, I don’t think they’ll win. Time to cheer like hell, ladies and gents.

332 Responses to "COYOTES AT OILERS G17 (12-13) 23.2.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. commonfan14 says:

Time for this team to make a choice: Get busy livin, or get busy dyin.

2. commonfan14 says:

… or I could read the full post properly, quote the line and respond with…

That’s goddamn right.

3. sliderule says:

There was a comment in a previous thread about getting more scoring either by shrinking pads or widening the net.
    I like the idea of widening the net by as little as two or three inchs.My guess is that you get about an average of two or three ringing off the post per game.These would be goals.

4. GordM says:

If RNH is Andy…the LAK on Tuesday were The Sisters.

5. leadfarmer says:

GordM,

Except you do know what happened to the sisters right?

6. hunter1909 says:

Oiler’s who could/should be traded away for the benefit of the future:

Gagner: He’s too freaking small, gets on just about everyone’s nerves, and yes, he’s going to be worth something so let’s get a defenceman back for him.

Hemsky: I like him, but they don’t really need him with Eberle and Yakupov. He’s going to attract something good in a trade. He too, will be worth quite a lot.

Ryan Smyth, Ryan Whitney : Smyth could remain as a 4th liner. otherwise, lose him, and Whitney I’d even consider waiving I want them to lose him so bad.

Belanger, Horcoff: Neither are any bloody good for the money, or for much of anything and just buy Horcoff out already next summer.

Eager, Petrell: Eager is like a cross between Mark Messier and a Stampede Wrestling heel and has been terrible, Petrell just isn’t much of anything.

Hordichuk, Potter: Does Hordichuk even play for the Oilers? That’s how noticible he’s been to me as a player. Potter just needs to go to OKC where his ability will be appreciated.

I have zero ideas how any competent NHL General manager would go about losing so many rotten players in 0-6 months. Or for that matter, finding the players necessary to form a winning hockey team; one that can score an even strength goal, lol.

GordM:
    If RNH is Andy…the LAK on Tuesday were The Sisters.

I had an entire paragraph on that but deleted it. Not the LAK angle but the laundry room.

8. RMGS says:

With less than 20 games played and with the ongoing scoring chance vs Corsi disconnect, Gagner -Hemsky may correct itself, but the shortened season doesn’t leave much room for patience (should the playoffs be the goal).

Break them up now.

While Hall’s out try:

89-56/28-14
    93-64-83

Hall takes the LW spot with Gagner-Eberle when he’s back.

Still, I think the next two matches are already lost.

9. Clay says:

“Inexperience: All three LW options (Nuge, Hartikainen, Paajarvi) are younger options. If the Oilers had Scott Hartnell or even Dustin Penner I think the results would be better at this point in time.”

My guess is you mean “Yak” instead of “Nuge” here, or else you’re getting crazy with the line combo cheeze whiz…

The Oilers are losing all the games they should be winning so far this year, and the mood around the team right now is in the toilet – so they’ll probably win 5-1 or something.

I don’t think we need to worry just yet about Nuge’s offense. He’s so damn young. If we can all agree that he isn’t a Crosby-like freak talent, then he won’t be clicking at his “expected yearly scoring rate” for at least another 3 or so years. I would bet real money that, once the season’s over, we get one of those interviews from him that he’s need shoulder surgery since November, but has just tried to play through it.

Starting to wonder if Eberle isn’t hurt too. When was the last time he had one of those plays where you turn to the person next to you and say “man, that Eberle has sick mitts!”. He’s not been himself since at least the game in Phoenix.

10. Gerta Rauss says:

It’s kind of funny that after all of the skill that this team has acquired over the last few years and we still haven’t found a left winger to play with Hemsky.

11. Henry says:

While I didn’t keep a log, the impression I have from Gagner and Hemsky with or without Yak is that their Corsi numbers likely overrepresents their possession problems because they don’t shoot nearly enough 5v5. They have the puck quite a while in the O zone, but may get one shot off. On defense, Gagner covers the point a lot and Hemmer is behind the net too much. It’s odd. Yakupov has a lot of try, but is a teenager. Good system play can work him, but not for long. I still like him with 83 and 89 if for no other reason than you need their soft hands to control his bullet passes especially on the shitty Northlands/Rexall/whatever ice. Sort of like wanting to have a good shortstop and third baseman when Frank Thomas steps in the batters box.

Anyway, this line’s problems can be solved with coaching, hopefully not the blender. Taylor Hall with them would be nice on the other hand.

12. Bar_Qu says:

hunter1909,

With the exception of Whitney (only because the team doesn’t want him), Hordichuk and Petrell, those are all players you need to win.

Its one thing to say, blow it up and get new players, but another thing to get players. Gagner and Hemsky for secondary scoring, Belanger, Horcoff, Smyth for veteran savvy and how to win it when its tight. We have all seen how valuable the cast-offs of Oilers past are on other teams (Colin Fraser? SC?) so it more likely is the glaringly obvious holes which keep the current players from being really effective.

Defense.

We need another capable Defenseman and if we could raid another team for their 3rd guy, preferably who could either move the puck or calm the waters like an oil spill on the ocean, then that’s who the Oil need.

But everyone wants that guy.

Can you raid Buffalo right now? Are the Leafs likely to be dazzled by a prospect or PRV for one of theirs? I dunno, but I wish the GM would find out (if he hasn’t already).

13. Radman says:

Obviously , the nine game roadie defines the balance of the season. Based on the schedule, it isn’t hard to imagine them coming away with only 2 or 3 victories. At what point is ST shown the door and MacT handed the reins ? Patience is a good thing when you are stockpiling picks and prospects, but my sense is the expectations for this team have changed. The Oilers have too many of the same kind of players and not enough of others.
    I am not convinced ST is the horse trader needed to get this part done. Does Tamby become the first casualty of a bad road trip LT ?

14. cabbiesmacker says:

Linus isn’t in our thoughts much anymore but 2 years ago the Shawshank line…

” Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”

would seem kind of appropriate

When I think of Lowe still having say anywhere near this team I’m partial to…

“How can you be so obtuse?

Radman:

If they wanted to get an independent thinker/strong personality, I’d chase Jim Nill in Detroit all day. That guy has been a big part of their success.

16. hags9k says:

K.Lowe = Brooks

17. Radman says:

Lowetide: I’m not sure. Lowe and MacT are above the clouds in their current role so the new GM would be someone that the club brought in imo. Scott Howson is an interesting name and a possible replacement for him, and I do believe the organization will hire him.

Howson is a smart hockey guy, and a good fit with Lowe and MacT. Just not sure about the recycling optics. Loved Jim Nill as a player and remember him rolling up his sleeves to take on Messier after a filthy attack on Tim Watters. I expect he would be a great GM as well, and must be tired of waiting for his chance with the Wings.

18. GordM says:

leadfarmer,

I fear the Oilers don’t have a Captain Hadley anywhere in this story. At least not in the short term. Here is trusting a guy like MacT can help this org figure out the word balance.

Hemsky really isn’t a give-and-go type of player. That must be as confusing as hell to a Russian-trained hockey player like Yakupov.

Hartikainen is a classic cycler. Hemsky isn’t. And Gagner isn’t great at close puck support on the cycle like Nelson has trained Paajarvi to be on Hartikainen’s cycle.

Hemsky’s high Corsi is a result of having someone around (Smyth, Penner) who would get a lot of shots, and garbage shots on rebounds.

Ditto sort of for Gagner.

Hemsky and Gagner really don’t have anyone to get secondary shots.

Hemsky is a unique player who is difficult to play with.

I’d stick Gagner between Hartikainen and Paajarvi. As a playmaker to support Hartikainen’s and Paajarvi’s cycle game. Gagner is a good distributer in the “half-court-offense” because of his vision and give-and-go passing ability.

Finding someone to play with Hemsky is the like the search for the Holy Grail. I think Horcoff between Hemsky and Yakupov is ultimately the best option in the short term when Horcoff is healthy, because sitting next to Horcoff on the bench would be extremely good for Yakupov’s development as a complete player, and I think Yak is smart enough to figure Hemsky out eventually.

I think the Oilers still think too much top six, bottom six, rather than top nine, and a checking line.

Top six, bottom six thinking is fatally flawed in today’s NHL.

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle (will fix itself eventually)
    Yakupov, Horcoff, Hemsky
    Paajarvi, Gagner, Hartikainen
    Smyth, Belanger, Eager.

I don’t really believe that Jones is more than filler on a bad team, even though he is an extremely likeable guy. Hopefully, I will be proven wrong, but I don’t believe it.

20. leadfarmer says:

hunter1909,

Have you seen what happened to the team since Horcoff went down. He seems to be the heart and soul of this team. Also, there is a clear disconnect between what many fans think of the player and what the team itself and management thinks.

Main part of the problem is the defense. They handle the puck like its a live grenade. Need someone back there that will calm things down. Whitney can move the puck well but he cant move himself so he’s not much help.

One part of Kreugers coaching strategy that I’m not a fan of is when the other team is coming out of their zone, one or two players go after the player with the puck who is coming at them with speed and they wave past the player with their stick as he goes by. They need to hold back and let the player come to them or several players need to engage the opponent at the same time. Strength in numbers is the key. This team would be deadly on the counterattack except they dont force many turnovers until the puck is in their zone.

21. LP says:

LT, you obviously don’t mean bringing in Howson as GM do you?

I like your lines GodDot.

And Hunter, isn’t it a little early to be drinking?

Go Oilers.

22. OiOiOil says:

godot10:

I don’t really believe that Jones is more than filler on a bad team, even though he is an extremely likeable guy.Hopefully, I will be proven wrong, but I don’t believe it.

So you want a playmaker to play with:
    Hartikainen: who does nothing but hold the puck below the goal line, doesn’t shoot, doesn’t hit, can’t score.
    PRV: soft on the puck, horrible shot, can barely score.
    Why? What will it change? The line will still put of 0 points.

Filler scores 17 and 18 goal seasons? I think you’re a bit out of touch with reality.

Hartikainen needs to be send to OKC, he’s not an NHLer. Plain and simple. Doesn’t hit or fight, so not bottom 6. Can’t score, doesn’t shoot and can’t skate. So not top 6 either.

23. jonrmcleod says:

I did an Oilers’ advanced stats update over at oilonwhyte.com. I’m by no means an expert on advanced stats, so if anyone has some constructive criticism for me, that would be appreciated.

LP:
    LT, you obviously don’t mean bringing in Howson as GM do you?

I like your lines GodDot.

And Hunter, isn’t it a little early to be drinking?

Go Oilers.

MacT and Lowe have the big chairs, so why enter the fray? Best of both worlds imo.

25. leadfarmer says:

Wonder what it would take to get Bjugstad out of Florida. Would be a good 2nd line center for the future and really help the size issue up front. He probably needs another 2 years before he is ready but a top 6 of
    Hall, RNH. Eberle
    Yak, Bjugstad, Hemsky.

all of a sudden is not that small.

26. commonfan14 says:

I wonder how much the Whitney situation is sucking the life out of the team. A friend of mine rightly pointed out that he’s a big personality and I’m sure his mood isn’t lost on anyone.

27. LP says:

Howson as GM then? wow… didn’t expect to hear that on this site. How did that work out in Columbus again?

I understand that he’s a good hockey mind, but GM? Whatever happened to MacT as GM?

godot10,

Ditto sort of for Gagner.
    Hemsky and Gagner really don’t have anyone to get secondary shots.

I agree with that and would add Hall to the list of LW who were good at puck retrieval/cycling that would help the corsi number.

Its the same in the Dzone and Ozone for 83-89. They are not very good at breaking the cycle and turning the puck the other way. 83 is much better than 89 at this, but still needs another 4/94/27 wing or 10 as C to get possession in the Dzone and maintain possession in the Ozone.

Since 89-83 are good offensive players, they will get their scoring chances when they have puck in control in transition, but out shooting isn’t following those scoring chances as they just don’t maintain possession well or often.

83 is much better than 89 at this, but still needs help. Not everyone can be 4 and tilt the ice every shift.

I also think 93 is much better at gaining possession in the Dzone and maintaining possession in the Ozone than 89.

So I think the 2 main bus drivers are 93 and 4.

Keep them on seperate lines and the corsi numbers should get better.

Having more than 2 D who can pass the puck would help as well.

Also,

I think PHX will suck the life out of the game like MIN does.

If PHX gets a lead, they will win.

Go Oilers!!

LP:

Howson would get the job based on his work here last time, not the Columbus situation. jmo. I’m not SUGGESTING he is a good candidate, just that I could see the Oilers doing it.

30. BlacqueJacque says:

RMGS:

Break them up now.

While Hall’s out try:

89-56/28-14
    93-64-83

Hall takes the LW spot with Gagner-Eberle when he’s back.

Still, I think the next two matches are already lost.

I’ve come to accept that LT suffers from permanent dyslexia and keeps putting centres on the left wing and left wingers in centre, but can the rest of us avoid this? It doesn’t read easily.

31. Gret99zky says:

I love your blog, LT. Visit everyday!

It has this kind of power to make me believe this team is always 1 or 2 points out of first place when I read it.

Then I quickly run and look at the standings….and well, there we are right near the bottom as usual.

2 wins out of the last 10 and still no “must win” games on the horizon. Hmmm. You know one of these days the playoff bound soothsayers are going to have to bare down.

Howson? Penner? Thank God Andy knew which direction to crawl down the pipe.

32. FastOil says:

As someone mentioned a few threads ago, Detroit has shown how you run smaller skill centres. The problem with the Oilers is that there is only one winger with enough of the skill/grit combo to support them.

Now that the reality that is the Oilers has had time to rip off the rose coloured glasses that are handed out at the beginning of every season, and stomped on them with both feet, jumping up and down in hiking boots, we enter make or break time for ST. Really with the only additions this year being two rookie offensive players, should we or they have expected anything more than a few extra goals and the same weak team play?

ST has a lot to do to move things along. As the skill guys develop, there is still a limit to what they can do with little support. I see the main thing as a decision as to the direction the team is taking, what shape will it have?

He either needs to get the wingers to support Gagner, or find a centre that can handle the physical side of the game and still contribute offense. Basically either Gagner gets some cover or he’s the new third line centre playing easier minutes.

And ST needs to address the missing top pairing LH defense. J Schultz and Petry are fine, but Smid should be second, N Schultz isn’t good enough.

ST either needs by next season to find trades, signings or draft picks in a draft year deep at centre and D. Relying on the system to produce what is needed isn’t the sure bet Lowe seems to think it is, especially seeing the injuries piling up yet again, and so many players not exactly knocking it out of the park. You’d think he’d know that, with the Oiler’s success developing anything but players that don’t need much help over the years.

BlacqueJacque: I’ve come to accept that LT suffers from permanent dyslexia and keeps putting centres on the left wing and left wingers in centre, but can the rest of us avoid this?It doesn’t read easily.

I think it looks good. :-) Nice to see a convert!

34. Radman says:

Lowetide: I don’t think MacT would take the job, it puts him on the line. Tambellini is exposed MacT isn’t. Maybe that’s a MacT dream and maybe he will go ahead and take the job, but I don’t think it is a certainty.

I agree with what you say LT, at least medium range. I suspect Katz wants Lowe and MacT pulling the strings on this show . He will keep them out of the gunsights. I doubt MacT wants a GM role long term, not anymore.
    I could see him as interim GM if this road trip comes off the rails. Someone else takes over in the summer. I like your Nill suggestion. No doubt they like Howson as a hockey guy, and he meshes well with the brain trust.

Petrell to IR!!!! Yeah, baby!!!!!!! Sorry but I wanted Paajarvi to stay and now he will.

36. jonrmcleod says:

A couple of the guys over at Copper and Blue were saying during the last game that they wish the Oilers had drafted Larsson instead of RNH. I probably shouldn’t bring up an old argument, but does anyone here agree?

Another part of 5v5 scoring and out shooting is having net presence.

I posted this in a thread yesterday:

Neither line creates much traffic in front of the net though.

Most NHL goals are not scored on the first shot, they are scored on the rebounds/scrambles that ensue after the first shot.

Stuff that works on AHL goalies and Dman doesn’t work in the NHL nearly as often.
    The Oilers create no havoc or chaos or scrambles.

There is no net presence to create what is needed for 5v5 success.

Its funny, they have the toughest part down pretty well (has faded last 2 games though). Get possession and get to the ozone.

The next part is to create havoc in the scoring areas.

I’m not a coke machine guy, but a Hartnell/Smyth (in his prime or younger) type who goes to the net like its his home in the ozone is sorely lacking on this team.

The offensively gifted Red WIngs had Holmstrom and The Mule. Its needed for the Datsyuk’s and Zetterburgs to have success.

I don’t want JFJ up on those line, and RK seems to not be seeing enough of 56 to trust him to leave him up on those lines, but it doesn’t mean its not needed.

The refrain from the MSM is “Oilers need to get bigger”.

I don’t think that’s true, but a lot players need to get braver and understand their job is to take a beating in front of the net.

It hurts, and it can even shorten your career (Craig Simpson), but its the job.

38. leadfarmer says:

jonrmcleod,

Sure, that would make VDV our current 3rd line center with Gagner and Belanger our top 2 centers. One of them goes down and VDV is in the top 6. You think we’re offensively challenged now.

39. OiOiOil says:

40. leadfarmer says:

The kids are not being sheltered anymore and playing stronger competition has taken away that extra split second they had last year. Hopefully when Horc comes back Krueger tries to get easier matchups for the kids at home ice, and go PVP during away games.

jonrmcleod:

No. Not at all. Never.

OiOiOil: Even if the outcome is what you wanted I don’t like that you are celebrating a player going on IR no matter what player it is.

Well you’re going to hate the dance I’m doing over it now! :-)

This is twice now that the Oilers had to make a move and they’ve:

1. Flushed Hordichuk to the minors
    2. IR’d Petrell

This is not their MO based on previous seasons. Not close. “Are you sure you want to do that?” is working!

43. Ice Sage says:

leadfarmer:
    jonrmcleod,

Sure, that would make VDV our current 3rd line center with Gagner and Belanger our top 2 centers.One of them goes down and VDV is in the top 6.You think we’re offensively challenged now.

Can’t get much worse.
    In ‘bench talk’ terms, Gagner cheats for offense, blows the zone early, etc. Hemsky has always had defensively responsible centers (usu Horcoff) to support his sorties. The math has exposed this duo as flawed. If RFK ain’t blending, he’s busy dying

44. wordbird says:

Lowetide: Oh sure I can see them hiring Howson. The Oilers liked him plenty before and he could certainly work in the group. I’d bet money they bring him in later this season at some level, and he’d be an odds-on imo for the next GM.

Ok, maybe i woke up on the cynical side of the bed this morning, but… sure seems like there’s a lot of big chairs. i get the idea of trying to build a ‘brain trust’, but i’m not so sure there’s one strong voice with the Plan.

The team needs a tall lawman on a horse, not management rolling out of a tiny clown car.

********

Shawshanked:

Red: “The man likes to play chess; let’s get him some rocks.”

Ralph needs more rocks.

45. "Steve Smith" says:

hunter1909: Does Hordichuk even play for the Oilers?

Um, no.

Exactly

Ice Sage,

I think 89′s wingers are flying the zone more than 89.

There are so many 40ft pass attempts on that line its frustrating.

4-93-14 make a lot of 10-15ft passes in transition and maintain possession through the neutral zone much better.

48. Bruce McCurdy says:

Gret99zky: You know one of these days the playoff bound soothsayers are going to have to bare down.

Bruce McCurdy: That’s a helluvan idea. The team could bare down and produce a nude calendar. Could make up for some of those lost playoff revenues. ;)

Hahahaha. Bare down. Man. I’ll never grow up.

50. Bruce McCurdy says:

RNH: 1st among Oilers forwards in TOI/G (20:53)

Larsson: 5th among Devils d-men in TOI/G (17:53) … and that doesn’t account for the 5 games he was healthy scratched.

But yeah, Larsson would solve all our problems. :|

51. TheOtherJohn says:

Howson as a possible GM replacement. Wow, just Wow!! His calling card for that job is he gets along w KLowe?????? That alone should be a disqualification for him to be considered. But we have CBJ record in addition. Only in Edmonton after going 30, 30 & 29th could we consider hiring the guy who beat us out for 30th in 11/12

That it can even be discussed shows how surreal acceptance of losing has become in Edm

Have no doubt that KLowe & MacT want to distance themselves from the firing line but at some point in time they have to be responsible for the success or lack thereof

TheOtherJohn:
    Howson as a possible GM replacement. Wow, just Wow!! His calling card for that job is he gets along w KLowe?????? That alone should be a disqualification for him to be considered. But we haveCBJ record in addition. Only in Edmonton after going 30, 30 & 29th could we consider hiring the guy who beat us out for 30th in 11/12

53. Gret99zky says:

Andy Dufresne: I understand you’re a man who knows how to get things.

Steve Tambellini: No, no I don’t.

54. BlacqueJacque says:

I’ve been pretty supportive of the management group throughout the rebuild but this year’s results are less-than-hoped-for. The team is visually getting dispirited, too.

If Tambo goes, so should Lowe and MacT. I don’t want any of the muddlers who rode into the playoffs on Pronger’s shoulders extending their otherwise mediocre careers because of that fluke.

55. OiOiOil says:

I guess it takes a special kind of person to wish harm on someone just so they can have a player they want in the lineup. And a mediocre player at best.

OiOiOil:

I guess it takes a special kind of person to wish harm on someone just so they can have a player they want in the lineup.And a mediocre player at best.

Unless I missed something, this is a paper move. Right? Petrell was injured a week ago, has been making progress and it sounded like he was close to playing–maybe even today. If Petrell is injured, then I’m sincerely sorry for being insensitive to the situation.

It is, however, my belief that the Oilers as an organization made a roster move based on their own best interests.

57. corykg says:

probably a tall order but is there a site that compares Shots At Net (missed shots, blocked shots, shots on net) to Shots.

Wondering what % of Nuge’s shot’s have hit the net and how it compares to others. Whether he’s trying to pick corners or something he’s been hella-wide this year.

58. OiOiOil says:

Maybe, maybe not. He did get hit in the head with a puck. In the event that it’s not just a paper move the comment and mentality become extremely distasteful.

59. BlacqueJacque says:

OiOiOil:

Maybe, maybe not.He did get hit in the head with a puck.In the event that it’s not just a paper move the comment and mentality become extremely distasteful.

Lighten up, Francis.

LT didn’t injure Petrell, he didn’t wish injury on Petrell, he’s just glad the Oilers decided to put Petrell on the IR to keep Paajarvi up.

Numerous times in the past LT and I have expressed our fondness for the Finn.

60. G Money says:

jonrmcleod,

The guys at C&B wear poison-coloured glasses.

I sometimes wonder if they are from another dimension and are watching the same games/players. Recent example being the article blaming 100% of the 3-1 loss to the Kings on Khabibulin. Yes, it was Khabi’s fault! You know, the guy who made 35 saves on 37 shots, many of the five-bell variety.

But hey, why let reality get in the way of a healthy preconceived notion? They said before the season that using Khabi as a backup was a terrible idea, and they’ll stick to it no matter what the actual games suggest.

All of that makes it very tough for me to regularly read C&B … that said, I still check it out on occasion because every once in a while someone there does post something really terrific. The new guy over there (Parkatti) seems to be doing some really good & interesting work … I assume at least until he gets poisoned by the same well!

Larsson over RNH? Same thing. They decided it before the fact, and will stick to it to their dying day. Reality? F**k no.

61. corykg says:

From TSN:
    “Edmonton defenseman Ryan Jones could play for the first time this season on Saturday after sitting out the first 16 games because of an eye injury suffered when he took a puck to the face during the lockout.”

In this age of the internet, the position of Editor seems to have zero accountability.

62. OiOiOil says:

BlacqueJacque,

“Petrell to IR!!!! Yeah, baby!!!!!!!”
    “Well you’re going to hate the dance I’m doing over it now!”

Being glad and making comments like this are very different. I like reading the articles and comments here but I don’t want to read anything like that about a player going on IR. You can’t just assume it’s a paper move.

63. OiOiOil says:

corykg:
    From TSN:

Let’s hope he skates better backwards than forwards lol. Imagine a defenseman being your net presence in the offensive zone lol.

64. G Money says:

Lowetide: Again, and let me be clear, I’m not suggesting they SHOULD make Scott Howson GM. I suggested Jim Nill, who has a much better resume.

Given Howson’s terrible record, tough to see how anyone, Oilers or otherwise, want him. The one possibility that might bring him back to the Oilers is that I recall in the past that Howson’s primary role with the Oilers prior to his departure was in cap management, which is a critical part of modern day strategic team and player development and signing. If he really was good at it, maybe they bring him back for that.

Then again, MacT has his shiny new MBA so he should be adept at that kind of stuff … (interesting trivia – MacT’s MBA thesis supervisor was a former employee of mine – and a diehard Flamers fan)

65. Gret99zky says:

Hello Andy, welcome to Shawshank. Sorry to hear about the life sentence but, well, here’s your cell. Now it’s only 6 ft by 8 ft but it won’t always be like this.

For instance, Dennis from cell block C spent some time in here and he says that it’s actually 72 in by 96 in and so that’s quite a bit bigger.

And Woodman of Alcatraz, whose seen his share of hoosegows, says this cell is tracking more like 183 cm by 244 cm, and it won’t be long before things trend out toward the median.

So maybe see Red about getting a volleyball net.

;)

66. hags9k says:

Want to fix 89-83? Put 4 on LW. (in 2 games)

93-55-14 Pat Quinn hockey!
    20-91-64
    54-56-28

67. spoiler says:

OiOiOil:
    BlacqueJacque,

“Petrell to IR!!!! Yeah, baby!!!!!!!”
    “Well you’re going to hate the dance I’m doing over it now!”

Being glad and making comments like this are very different.I like reading the articles and comments here but I don’t want to read anything like that about a player going on IR.You can’t just assume it’s a paper move.

You’re not a socialist by any chance, are you?

68. Clay says:

jonrmcleod:

That’s crazy talk. IMHO, Larsson won’t prove to be the best defenseman in that draft, let alone the best player. Dougie Hamilton looks like the real deal to me.

Hell, I still think Klefbom may end up being better.

Gauging draft success less than 5 years out is a fools game anyway.

Speaking of which, LT, if Dubnyk is really a bona fide #1 goalie, how does that change the Oilers’ 2004 draft in terms of your list of successful draft years? I was trying to find that last post you did where you ranked the draft years all-time, but going from memory, the 2004 draft was pretty much a bomb.

You know, except for Sugartits.

69. VanOil says:

Maybe I am depressed going into a matinee game and I doubt it would take more than one win to lighten my mood. This morning I am in the get busy dying camp. Should we still suck the hind banana ten games from now I would like to see the following actions:

1) RHN shut down and immediately sent for twin shoulder surgeries (You know he will need them both done eventualy). This will lead further oilers team suckage as Gagner is not #1 center, but will pump his tyres all the more.

2) Trade Whitney to LA for Penner at the deadline.

3) When Lander is back, put back together the Nordic line. Tell them as a line the must at least average a point a game from now until the end on the season or none of them will ever play in the NHL again.

4) In the off season trade Gagner’s rights, Eager’s sore head and Teuberts slow feet and the team’s first round pick for who ever has the #3 pick. Hopefully if they are a team like Washington in more of a win now situation this would entice them.

4) Draft Mackinnon. He would be the steal of the decade at #3. I have seen him play live and the gritty hardnose way he plays is a beautiful thing. Wait 3 to 5 years and have the best 1-2 center combination in league. (5 only a hedge because Crosby-Malkin will remain pretty good for while)

5) Find free agent Dman who can play in a #4 to #5 roll. Doesn’t need to be able to shot but it would be nice if he could at least carry the puck out his own zone.

6) Hope Kelfbom’s NHL debut is half as good as Schultz Jr’s.

Man I hope they win today I hate being this depressed. Maybe mid day drinking will lighten my mood..

Clay: That’s crazy talk.IMHO, Larsson won’t prove to be the best defenseman in that draft, let alone the best player.Dougie Hamilton looks like the real deal to me.

Hell, I still think Klefbom may end up being better.

Gauging draft success less than 5 years out is a fools game anyway.

Speaking of which, LT, if Dubnyk is really a bona fide #1 goalie, how does that change the Oilers’ 2004 draft in terms of your list of successful draft years?I was trying to find that last post you did where you ranked the draft years all-time, but going from memory, the 2004 draft was pretty much a bomb.

You know, except for Sugartits.

It was not a good year for Kevin Prendergast. The Dubynk pick imo gets a solid mark, mid-first round guy who emerged as a starter (and the Oilers brought him along slowly).

However:

1. Missed on Schremp later in the first round
    2. Missed at #44 (Tesliuk) and #57 (Paukovich) and dealt Jason Chimera for the right to take Paukovich.
    3. Hit with Reddox in the 4th round and I think there’s credit due there.
    4. Not much after that but once you hit the 4th round they’re all long shots.

I’d probably give that draft a C or C-, but the misses at #25, #44 and #57 take away from the draft of Dubnyk imo.

71. OiOiOil says:

spoiler: And hey, you’ll like this blog even more once you have everyone posting to your tastes and standards.

You’re not a socialist by any chance, are you?

Excuse me? never did I tell him he had to post the way I wanted. I told him I don’t like comments celebrating players getting injured/put on IR. If thats something this community likes to do I’m fine to not return, I find it extremely distasteful. Obviously you don’t which says a lot about the type of person you are. People are free to say what they want, and I’m free to tell them what I think of them when they say it.

A blog where the users hope any of the Edmonton Oilers get hurt or go on IR isn’t a blog I want to be a part of.

Eager on top line. Lordy.

73. BlacqueJacque says:

OiOiOil,

the exit is that away.

74. VanOil says:

I take it all back about Teubert. Who cares if he can’t skate or play hockey. I have just seen him do the Harlem Shake on the Oilers site.

PRV staying up is great news. I would prefer him to fill in for Hall than Eager. Or maybe split it 50/50 PRV getting the second half of the game when Eager runs out of gas.

Hanzel out for the game.

He’s an Oilers killer, so that helps.

Hanzel’s so hot right now.

76. BlacqueJacque says:

BlacqueJacque:
    I’ve been pretty supportive of the management group throughout the rebuild but this year’s results are less-than-hoped-for.The team is visually getting dispirited, too.

If Tambo goes, so should Lowe and MacT.I don’t want any of the muddlers who rode into the playoffs on Pronger’s shoulders extending their otherwise mediocre careers because of that fluke.

You’re not a socialist by any chance, are you?

don’t use socialist like its a bad word. You live in a socialist country, you have affordable health care because of socialism, crime even in poor areas is low due to socialism.

77. DBO says:

bulin starts. way to kill Dubnyk’s confidence.

Krueger starting Khabibulin today. Going with the hot hand? I didn’t think Dubnyk was poor last game. Kind of confused on that one.

79. El Duderino says:

At one time or another Oilers had 5 guys from the 2004 Draft 1st round on the team, Dubnyk, Schremp, Smid, Barker, with Fistric being the latest. Just a point of interest.

80. jonrmcleod says:

I think RK is going with the Opposite George coaching strategy today.

81. DBO says:

#Oilers warmup lines: 94-93-14, 56-89-83, 55-20-28, 64-54-91 up front and 15-19, 5-2, 45-44 on defence.

that is better.

In light of my uncaring remarks about Petrell I want to frame this in a nice way. Ahem. Ralph Krueger is doing some curious things today.

DBO:

that is better.

Yes. Much better.

Eager on top line. Lordy.

Is RK wearing an onion on his belt?

An object lesson for 91 and 56?

Do what the coaches ask and when there is an opening up the lineup, you get to go up.

85. VanOil says:

Like adding another soft Visor wearing player like Jones to the line up. Sissy may as well be a Euro.
    (Don’t worry LT the rest off us will be mean, heartless and sarcastic for you)

Woodguy: Is RK wearing an onion on his belt?

An object lesson for 91 and 56?

Since changed. One of the Edmonton media had the bad info.

Stauffer has 94 w/ 93-14

88. VanOil says:

If Hemsky runs the goalie twice in the first period again do we start calling him ‘ice bags’? (RK’s new slogan) Interested to see how the second line fares with out him.

I have the Jays game on here What channel is it on?

Never mind.

91. Lucinius says:

Actually, it makes sense to me. The first two goals against Minnesota were sorta soft; yes the primary issue was bad defensive play that led to them, but both were quite stoppable, especially if Dubnyk adhered to basic goaltending rules as it would of left him in better position to stop both. I wouldn’t say they were his fault, per se, but he was hardly innocent. The third goal he also should of stopped. Yes, it was high blocker side.. but if he gets out to cut down the angle and trusts in the defenseman to stop the pass across.. it never sees net.

Krueger is perfectly justified of starting Khabbi today, imo. Dubnyk has been poor his last two starts.

92. Clay says:

DBO:
    bulin starts. way to kill Dubnyk’s confidence.

There’s a joke in there somewhere wrt keeping Khabby occupied in Phoenix for his own good.

93. Hayek says:

Principe is so annoying. But for him to still have his job, lots of people must really like him. The thing is, nobody I have met likes him at all. So who are these people?

94. Lucinius says:

Hayek,

No idea. Principe is an annoying twit. I recall a story from someone I know who met him about how Principe knows his puns and stuff are dumb, but its what people and his bosses want.

95. VanOil says:

That’s it Gene has scared me into mid day drinking. A Pint a period seems responsible for the time of day.

96. Rebilled says:

Anybody else just getting their centre ice Aerosmith white screen

97. Rebilled says:

nevermind…

Are they showcasing Khabibulin? Is that it?

99. Hayek says:

How is it we have such terrible broadcasters? Principe is annoying, and Debrusk was some washed up goon who never provides insightful analysis, and never breaks down mistakes made on plays. He just refuses to ever criticize an Oiler.

Kevin Quinn isn’t my favorite, but I don’t really have any problems with him.

Wow do I miss guys like Ferraro, Garrett, and Simpson.

I don’t think alternating goaltenders starting now till the end of the 9 game monster road trip is a bad idea.

101. VanOil says:

Eberle to take a run at Torres today and gets a 4 game suspension. We all know how competitive he and Hall are.

102. leadfarmer says:

Anyone have a link. Trying to watch the game at work.

103. Lucinius says:

Jones on his first shift produces what Oilers have been missing; secondary and tertiary shots.

Also surprised the recent scratches of Whitney haven’t gotten more play in the media, given the storm it stirred up earlier this year.

104. voxwah says:

That was more net crashing by Eager and Jones then we have seen the last few games combined.

105. Hayek says:

VanOil:

I miss Torres, he was one of my favorite Oilers leading up to the cup run.

106. Clay says:

Hayek:
    How is it we have such terrible broadcasters?Principe is annoying, and Debrusk was some washed up goon who never provides insightful analysis, and never breaks down mistakes made on plays.He just refuses to ever criticize an Oiler.

Kevin Quinn isn’t my favorite, but I don’t really have any problems with him.

Wow do I miss guys like Ferraro, Garrett, and Simpson.

You answered your own question. Once anyone from Sportsnet becomes half-way proficient as a broadcaster, they’re snapped up by CBC or TSN. Sportsnet is the ECHL of NHL broadcasting.

107. jake70 says:

Gagner covering D there, chased the puck carrier with the other D, left the 2nd coyote wide open in the slot.

108. Lucinius says:

Already been two instances of a forward not in position to support the D on getting the puck out.

109. leadfarmer says:

voxwah,

Thanks

110. Hayek says:

Clay: You answered your own question.Once anyone from Sportsnet becomes half-way proficient as a broadcaster, they’re snapped up by CBC or TSN.Sportsnet is the ECHL of NHL broadcasting.

Why can’t we ever have something nice :)

Petry makes an all world defensive play on a 3-on-1. Wonderful!

112. Lucinius says:

Sigh.

113. fuzzy muppet says:

Hemsky fafraid of getting hit and fails to clear. GA. 89-83 doesn’t work. they allow a goal to the 4th line of Phoenix..

break them up NOW

114. Lucinius says:

Justin Schultz wasn’t great on the goal against either. He simply lacked the strength to win his battle.

115. VanOil says:

Thinking of upping the dose to 3 beers in first period. Boring Phoenix trap game coming full force now they have the lead.

116. bookje says:

Are they showcasing Khabibulin? Is that it?

I think RK uses a different philosophy of rest for goalies. It seems as though he wants his number one to have some long breaks (4-6 days) within the season and is just fine with him playing back to back. I don’t mind this concept.

Also, just look at the schedule in March – I think they are worried about DD getting run down.

117. Hayek says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Hemsky fafraid of getting hit and fails to clear. GA.89-83 doesn’t work.they allow a goal to the 4th line of Phoenix..

break them up NOW

Totally disagree. Don’t allow short term variance affect decisions. In long term, there is too much talent for these guys not to succeed. Coaches mix up lines way too much, so they can attribute positive variance to coaching skill.

118. VanOil says:

Liked that shift until the penalty. 91, 64 and 54 looking good.

119. fuzzy muppet says:

Hayek,

You have read their corsi #s right? Worst on the team by a mile. It’s nearly 20 games in. I’ve seen enough.

120. Lucinius says:

Sigh, refs. Can haul Paajarvi down, but then Yak (or VVD, apparently for a non penalty, god damn refs) gets called for something similar second after. Decent work by that line prior to the penalty, though.

121. Hayek says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Hayek,

You have read their corsi #s right?Worst on the team by a mile. It’s nearly 20 games in. I’ve seen enough.

Yep, I know you have a point with that. I believe in corsi as a good indicator as well. However, I believe with talent, there is only top 6 roles. Just randomly jumbling them up doesn’t accomplish anything. I am under the impression these guys are talented, and in long term, their numbers will come around.

By correcting for short term variance, you are attempting to solve a problem where there may not be one.

122. Lucinius says:

Hayek,

I’d just like them to swap Gagner and Eberle, honestly, especially when Hall gets back.

123. VanOil says:

Please Sportsnet spare 10 seconds to actualy show the penalty replay before I learn that Tim Hortons sells coffee

124. spoiler says:

BlacqueJacque:
    don’t use socialist like its a bad word.You live in a socialist country, you have affordable health care because of socialism, crime even in poor areas is low due to socialism.

Lol… Trust me, I know I live in a socialist country. Surely patriotism isn’t your argument… That’s pretty funny.

The rest is so fundamentally wrong it would take a book to respond, and I’m too busy watching a pathetic hockey team.

125. Hayek says:

Lucinius:
    Hayek,

Yeah, fair enough, I’m not saying that you guys are necessarily wrong. I just don’t put as much weight on line combos having a significant impact. I think generally, the most important part is distributing ice time to your most talented players. How you combine them is relatively less important.

Although I would prefer Paajarvi/Gagner/Hartikainen, I fully endorse a Yakupov/Paajarvi experiment.

127. Lucinius says:

Zero support for Hemsky to pass that puck off when two players converged on him.

Justin Schultz does not look good so far today.

128. voxwah says:

Arrrrr offensive zone penalties are the worst!!

129. VanOil says:

voxwah:
    Arrrrr offensive zone penalties are the worst!!

I have still not seen any of the three penalties so I don’t know, but I assume you are right.

130. fuzzy muppet says:

godot10,

I really think they need to put 64 in his natural position on RW.

play 83 with 10 and 28

keep the kids together and run 89 with 94/56/91 and 64 on RW.

Another unemotional shit effort on the PP. This team is bad, real bad.

131. VanOil says:

Saw that one! Yeah! in the D zone as well. We need to take more the way this game is going.

132. fuzzy muppet says:

They should just play SHort-handed. they look better

133. jonrmcleod says:

Someone needs to do a photoshop of Dave Tippett with hair like Moe’s from The Three Stooges

134. jake70 says:

fuzzy muppet:
    They should just play SHort-handed.they look better

Don’t go up a man on those Oilers, they’ll play run and gun on you.

135. lazerguidedmelody says:

I love matinee games. As I’m in the UK, it means I don’t have to stay up to 3am to watch.

I hate matinee games, for the simple reason that we always lose.

Also, except with the man disadvantage, that was a pretty meh first period. Is it worth us playing shorthanded for the rest of the game.

Edit: ah, fuzzy muppet beat me to it.

Bookje: Good point on the goalies.

Thoughts: Meh. Oilers PK is solid and there are flashes, but honestly this team needs a road trip. One gets the feeling the other team has been in control of this entire homestand and that continues today.

137. VanOil says:

lazerguidedmelody,

When I lived in the UK Channel 4s insistence on showing NJ games made me question my love of Hockey.

138. Rocknrolla says:

On a positive note I thought Jonesy looked good with taking that puck to the net, and on the PK.

Also like the yak-VV-Harti cycle on their shift.

And the PK is on fire…and will only improve with Jones. We got to bury those breakaways…takes me back to Marchant!

They weren’t playing bad until Methusala let the softy in.

Why does every save he makes bounce off him right into the slot?

Good to see Jones go to the net, they need more of that.

Why put 94 and 56 on the same PP unit? They play the role and doesn’t have enough hands on the ice.

140. lazerguidedmelody says:

VanOil,

It was Channel 5, but yeah – they always showed Eastern Conference games, pretty much without fail, at least until deep in the play-offs. In ’96, I think the first time the Oilers were covered was the SC final.

141. VanOil says:

Other things the team needs other than a road trip;

Massage with a happy ending for RNH shoulder

Massage with a happy ending for Schultz Jr’s back

Rye rage for Eberle to break the shnide

Rye rage for PVR just because

142. VanOil says:

lazerguidedmelody,

My co-workers were very understanding during the 06 run with me sleeping through meetings, explained it away as a Canadian thing.

143. RMGS says:

My litany of complaints would be too long (Khabibulin!?), so I’ll stick to the only positive – that’s a hell of a PK!

I also thought happy thoughts after learning Petrell was on the IR.

144. Hayek says:

Maybe just for a bit of a reality check, in the past 2 games, the Kings and Coyotes have both been favorites while on the road in Edmonton in betting markets. I think Oilers fans have higher expectations of this team than reality dictates.

145. hunter1909 says:

Missed the 1st period. Oilers down 0-1, so no need to ask.

lol

146. hunter1909 says:

Just saw a hot blonde, so I know it’s the American feed. Hot women are banned from Canadian television.

147. RMGS says:

hunter1909:

But they do feature Mark Spector!

148. cabbiesmacker says:

fuzzy muppet:

break them up NOW

break them up NOW

Both points correct. Even better would be trading “one” of them away. How many games must we see the same crap?

Doesn’t matter how you shuffle the lines….Shitty hockey team with too many shitty players.

ST fires up his rendition of Devil Went Down to Georgia

149. hunter1909 says:

So far, I’m unable to engage with this game, lol.

Yotes bullying the little kids, like last year.

150. hunter1909 says:

Oilers win today then next game, and Kreuger decides to bench Hall for another game, haha.

151. fuzzy muppet says:

Phoenix’s 4th line has been dominating the game.

That’s how bad this team is…

The Nuge is our best defenseman today.

153. RMGS says:

Something’s wrong when Belanger-Jones-Eager’s been the best line.

154. Hayek says:

Wow, we outshoot them 19-12, and are criticizing the play. Be more results oriented…..

155. gogliano says:

Woodguy:
    They weren’t playing bad until Methusala let the softy in.

Why does every save he makes bounce off him right into the slot?

Good to see Jones go to the net, they need more of that.

Perhaps they picked up on his lack of eye glow this afternoon, thereby lessening their own eye glow levels?

156. VanOil says:

Bored despite afternoon beer.

Now blaming Pocklington for this infliction.

Gretzky trade led to sun belt expansion.

Gretzky expansion diluted talent.

Lemaire trap hockey became the ticket to winning with talentless teams

Kills 80′s Oiler’s hockey as the model for all that is good in the world

Fucking Pocklington

157. Rebilled says:

It would be great if someone like Eager destroyed Shane Doan today. Shawn Horcoff’s buddy, the guy who put him on the IR after the whistle.

158. VanOil says:

I’m blaming Pocklington for that goal as well

159. hunter1909 says:

When’s Draft Day?

160. Hayek says:

I wonder hypothetically, if Tambellini were to get fired, who would be the candidates to replace him?

161. hunter1909 says:

This could be the 2-0 deficit that sparks this team toward the playoffs.

162. bookje says:

hunter1909:
    This could be the 2-0 deficit that sparks this team toward the playoffs.

or…

163. sliderule says:

Why are we playing guys like 54 and 56 and 91.
    Coyotes who have no money are playing real men not babies who are AHL players at best.
    Is it money or even worse stupidity.

164. fuzzy muppet says:

It’s time for Yak to sit. He’s fanning on everything. Let him watch a game or two.

And for fucks sake, put him in his natural position.

165. Rebilled says:

What’s the maximum amount of years we can sign #4? Should double up on that deal now with some throw-ins.

166. VanOil says:

Love the 64 pivot to reverse glide at full speed for shooting angle at the end of that sequence. I have noticed all season. Hopefully his line mates will start too.

167. fuzzy muppet says:

That is a quite possibly the worst slashing call I’ve ever seen

sliderule:
    Why are we playing guys like 54 and 56 and 91.
    Is it money or even worse stupidity.

54 is playing because 2 centres are injured. 54 is #6 on the depth chart.

91 and 56 are NHL-ready players, though the Oiler coaching and management at the NHL level are still a bit clueless about how to use them effectively.

They insist on trying to play Hartikainen with players who do not have the ability to support his cycle, and corollary to that, to take advantage of his cycle. Any line that Hemsky is on is a non-cycling line. Hartikainen’s NHL skill is his ability to cycle. It is basically the height of stupidity to try to play the two of them together at even strength.

169. Hayek says:

Rebilled:

Sorry, wrong comment

170. fuzzy muppet says:

An even strength goal???

Say it ain’t so!

171. Henry says:

fuzzy muppet:
    That is a quite possibly the worst slashing call I’ve ever seen

Tim Peel special

172. spoiler says:

An even strength goal. Unbelievable. Nice pass by Yak and good finish by Ebs.

173. leadfarmer says:

McBlender!!!!!!

174. Hayek says:

Where is the guy who wanted to bench Yakupov….

175. Rebilled says:

Sam ‘I always get a point” Gagner.

Great goal.

Good job by Kid Russia, he didn’t have much going before it. The all hands team was in a good spot. Shutt 2.0 that kid.

177. DBO says:

Harsky really doens’t do much unless it’s behind the net or in front on the PP. I would rather he go down then MPS. Put Hall in his spot with Gags and Hemmer. Keep the rest the same.

Blender out there now.

Jones-Gags-Hemmer
    Yak-Nuge-Ebs
    Smyth-Bel-Eager
    Harsky-Vande-MPS

178. VanOil says:

Question Stats guy’s is Gagne’s relative Corsi #’s better short handed than 5v5? He look’s competent defensively SH but useless 5v5. Relative to his team mates SH and 5v5 as the team is pretty handy as a whole SH.

Eberle might have the hands to handle a Yak pass this is a good thing

179. fuzzy muppet says:

Hayek,

I am, and I said it wouldn’t hurt him to watch a game or two. He is obviously tatlented, but is rushing everything. Sometimes a taking a seat HELPS a person’s game. See Ryan Smyth (though there were other mitigating circumstances)

Khabi had no idea where that puck was. None.

181. fuzzy muppet says:

fuzzy muppet,

The biggest thing is to play him on RW where he’s comfortable.

MUCH better period, all kinds of positives that time. I liked the dump–Gagner?–on the goal, they need to do more of that kind of thing. Putting it in spots, and then making passing like the Gagner to Hemmer goal a couple of weeks back.

I don’t think they’ll win today, but even a point would be something they might be able to build on. I’m worried about the goalie, though. Kevlar rebounds.

183. hunter1909 says:

Lots of things that Khabi has no idea where they are. Lots and lots of things.

184. crude says:

Khabi had no idea where that puck was. None.

Saw that as well. I was always hesitant to jump on the Khabby’s-got-nothin-left-to-give train (which is crazy, I know, in light of what the numbers could say), but posters here pointing out how rebound after rebound gets into a dangerous spot has sealed it for me. He’s not so hot, that Khabby. This has GOT to be a showcase… a shitty one.

185. Hayek says:

fuzzy muppet:
    Hayek,

I am, and I said it wouldn’t hurt him to watch a game or two.He is obviously tatlented, but is rushing everything.Sometimes a taking a seat HELPS a person’s game.See Ryan Smyth (though there were other mitigating circumstances)

I call bullshit on that. Attributing Smyth scoring to sitting out a game is correlation not causation. Just curious if Smyth came back after benching, and had a terrible game, whether that would mean that sitting out a game hurts a player?

My example to you would be if Yakupov buried 2 chances over past 10 games instead of hitting the post, nobody would say there is a problem. But as soon as someone goes some games without getting a point, they try to attribute a problem.

On the other hand, if you are implying that he is out of position, not making optimal decisions, and I guess not responding to post game coaching and analysis, then yeah, I could get on board with you.

I don’t know you, so I guess I’m not giving you the benefit of the doubt here, so for that, I apologize. I get very irritated when people demand change just because we aren’t winning, or someone not scoring because that is largely out of their control. Playing well, and showing up on scoresheet, or as wins in the standings do not always follow each other in the short term.

Khabi had no idea where that puck was. None.

Well he’s not wearing his bi-focals.

187. hunter1909 says:

Since Oilers are approximately no more than a fortnight away from seriously moving toward first overall pick, who are everyone’s current fave top 3 players?

I confess I’ve only seen Seth Jones, who looks great.

I doubt if they pick first, but the top three is very much in play. With Tambo’s luck…

188. sliderule says:

I can tell you that if Tippett was the coach none of 54 56 and 91 would be on roster let alone playing.

189. crude says:

fuzzy muppet:
    fuzzy muppet,

The biggest thing is to play him on RW where he’s comfortable.

You mean the right side where that deft as heck pass just came from for the goal?

190. Marc says:

My enjoyment of watching the game live drinking a beer instead of the following morning drinking a coffee has been tempered somewhat by having to watch a crappy stream because the game is blacked out on Gamecenter in the UK.

I don’t know who’s choosing the games for the UK TV rights holder, but the last couple Saturdays they’ve chosen Edmonton-Columbus and Edmonton-Phoenix. I’m not sure that’s a strategy for growing the game over here.

Hunter: Seth Jones, Jonathan Drouin and Nathan MacKinnon in that order.

Hayek,

Everyone under estimates the effects of luck and variance in sports.

Everyone wants a reason for everything.

Dennis King scoring chances
    Chances after 40 min: 17-10; 5-5 ST

First time all year my eyes deceive me. Interesting.

194. cabbiesmacker says:

Hayek:

Would have to be Larry or Curly no?

195. RMGS says:

fuzzy muppet,

crude,

I believe all but one or two of Yakupov’s points have been generated on the right side.

196. Hayek says:

Woodguy:
    Hayek,

Everyone under estimates the effects of luck and variance in sports.

Everyone wants a reason for everything.

Yeah, seeing patterns where patterns don’t exist.

197. Hayek says:

cabbiesmacker: Would have to be Larry or Curly no?

Doug McLean and Mike Milbury?

198. VanOil says:

Hunter: Seth Jones, Jonathan Drouin and Nathan MacKinnon in that order.

This is an amazing draft. All 3 of these are franchise class talents.

Newer Comments »