ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

I am not by nature a blood thirsty sort, would rather watch a well played game than a brawl fest and I’ve seen both many times. However, last night’s action by Taylor Hall is one I’m fine with as an Oiler fan. You never want to see a player injured–and Cal Clutterbuck tests that belief based on his own history–but the Oilers have been too flaccid for too long against Minnesota, against Calgary, against Dallas, against against against.

Adding mountain men, Coke Machines and enforcers never helps because those guys can only rattle their jewellry from the bench when the skilled men are on the ice (good morning, Pat Quinn).

No. It comes down to the young men who the Oilers have drafted  to take them to the promised land, and the players who are on the ice with them, to change the tide, to stand up for themselves, to stop being the 110 pound weakling. It’s the old Charles Atlas commercial: you’re on the beach with your best girl, some musclebound guy comes over, kicks sand in your face and starts talking to her.

You have three choices: watch and lose, run away or stand up and defend your ground. Last night’s hit was a long time coming, the Wild have been beating the Oilers about the face and hands since Boogaard and before. Whatever else happened last night, at least one Minnesota Wild player is going to have his head on a swivel next time. No pantywaist’s on the Oiler side, brother.

It’s all good.

lebrun

Bring it on. The NHL dishes out justice with the consistency of lumpy gravy. Bring it on. Give him 5 games. Go the freak ahead. That might be the thing to galvanize this bunch, it might be the turning point. Nothing else seems to have worked.

My father taught me that you needed to be a stand up guy: make a mistake and own it. As a long time fan of the game, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the following: it seemed to me that Taylor Hall was frustrated and was perhaps not pure of heart when he delivered the hit. I don’t think “kneeing” holds water, but “clipping” is in the video and they’re going to punish Hall.

Go ahead, NHL. Inflict the punishment. And for a day the Damian Cox media group can write columns of righteous indignation. But know this: coming over the middle against the Edmonton Oilers just got a little bit dangerous.

Intrare, tuo proprio periculo.

152 Responses to "ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK"

1. 42 percent body fat says:

didnt know it was illegal to throw a hip check. Hall said exactly what I was thinking, If he didnt go low he would be suspended for a head hit and clutterbuck would be out with a concussion. This is the consequences of taking a type of hitting out of the game.

Players need to be accountable and have their heads up. They need to stop turning to take hits and fish for penalties.

5 years ago Hall would have hit him straight on and knocked this prick right out.

The equipment, lack of player integrity, and player accountability are the reasons for the injuries. All this new equipment is made for performance and comfort, not to protect the players.

EDIT: There are a lot of hit that suspensions have been give for that I feel the same way. But based on how big of a hypocrite Shanahan is (such a dirty player) this will likely be a suspension.

2. BlacqueJacque says:

Hah, Cox is so predictable at this point. Doubly so that this is an Oilers situation. I’m glad Hall is developing a reputation for himself but now he really has to worry about retaliation in kind. I almost hope for five games so the Wild are less tempted to hurt him back.

This season he has become my favorite Oiler. Complete package, sans the hands.

3. BlacqueJacque says:

42 percent body fat,

Damn good points!

4. daryl says:

I like that angle – i had to hit him that way or it would be a hit to the head. Both a bone to the league’s objective in trying to get that type of hit out of the game, and a backhanded message of “this is what happens when you take that type of hit out of the game.” Don’t expect logic to play any sort of role, but really, if you can’t hit high and you can’t hit low, time to go back to mighty mite.

5. 42 percent body fat says:

2nd EDIT: This team is really starting to piss me off. And it starts with Eberle and Nuge not producing enough. Shoot the puck Eberle. Yes he is 2nd in shots but too much cute shit. If the season ends with nuges production the way it is and Tambo extends him at 6M I will personally kick him in the nuts.

3rd EDIT” Glad to see other people see what I see with this hit in Halls attempt to not hit him in the head. Wonder why football has less concussions than the NHL. Are they reported less or is it because the helmets have padding and almost all players wear mouth gaurds.

6. Radman says:

Agree LT. I’m OK with whatever suspension this brings. The Oilers need some cred around the old cell block.
    What this team needs badly is leadership. Someone to demonstrate lying down and losing is no longer acceptable, especially at home. Someone to say you better keep your head up when you play this team. Hall is that guy. You see almost every time he jumps over the boards.
    Enough with the talk. Show us you mean business already.

7. Jesse says:

Hell of an article, LT.

8. 42 percent body fat says:

And how bad is this team when Hall doesn’t dominate the game. The top two centers played well but yet no scoring.

9. Bos8 says:

Righteous

I like what I’m seeing. Doughty and now Clutterbuck. As Mr Howe said, “Take a number”. Hall could have just as easily done a Parise or Cullen. He didn’t wimp out. Payback – Yeah.

You have lunch, I’ll have a sandwich.

Next home game, Hall should get a standing ovation.

10. DBO says:

from end of last thread. well said LT:

This thread is almost over, unless LT is starting late today with a scotch hangover and painful knuckles after hulk-smashing the wall a few times watching that crap fest yesterday.
    Regardless, with Hall surely gone for at least 1 game, out comes the Krueger blender, equipped with a new Jones attachment, a rejuvenated Smyth, a slumping Eberle and Nuge, and a clueless Yakupov rookie. Not very fun.
    A few hopes heading into our last home game for what may seem like the eternal road trip:
    - I hope Yak plays 4th line at evens. he is clueless out there and should get the rookie Hemsky treatment until he learns to not fly the zone and make spinorama passes on a 3 on 2.
    - Either separate Hemsky and Gagner or give them a responsible winger like Smyth, cause they can not get the puck out of our zone.
    - Split up Nuge and Eberle. time to shake it up.
    - Play Harsky and MPS more. Both are responsible in their own zone, both by eye move the puck out well and actually dump and chase properly, while crashing the net and getting some shots. The “star” kids could learn a few things.
    - Do not add Jones to a scoring line as he is just returning from injury and needs time.
    - Run Whitney for the whole trip and try damn hard to either let him work out his play or improve it enough to dump him. Because Peckham is not the answer. he played OK, and that is more an indictment of how bad our #6 dmen have been then Peckham doing anything of note.
    And finally. If Tambo does nothing, and turns into Mr. Dithers 4.0, then fire him. He is fiddling while Rome burns, and at some point someone in management better take some god damn responsibility for how poorly constructed this team is.
    I need a drink. I feel like going all Horcov on some mofo’s.

11. DBO says:

Bos8,

we all talked about needing a Messier. Well, Hall is closest thing. Now for a Linseman (great profile on ON LT). Wonder if Lander can be that type of guy (he seems to piss people off on the ice, not as much O, but solid and gritty)

12. OilClog says:

Beautiful hit, almost made me feel like we won the game seeing clutterbuck laid out. Biggest oiler hit in years, couldn’t of happened to a nicer gent.

I would say a fine and a low high five.

13. DBO says:

Without Hall and Jones drawing in I hope for these lines:

Harsky-Nuge-Hemsky
    Smyth-Gagner-Eberle
    Eager-Belanger-Jones
    Yak-Vande-MPS

Top 2 lines are more balanced and on the road we can run them with anyone. It also allows Hall to draw in for Harsky when he is back and MPS gets sent down (moving Harsky to the 4th with Vande and Yak.) and when Horc is back he slides into the Yak/Harsky line to mentor and back up the kids and be used like a 3rd line, with the Belanger line the 4th.

14. Smarmy says:

As a guy that pretty much feels hitting should be for puck seperation and not to hurt. I still don’t have too much issue with that hit. I think he gets a punitive fine and we call it a day. BUT the NHL discipline wing is a joke and I’m going to laugh when a group of players lays a class action lawsuit on the league NFL style.

But let’s forget about luck and stats for a second. This team sucks shit plain and simple and the real debate to save your sanity should be whether or not our Front Office would be better if they were replaced by Ficus plants.

I’d like to see a serious discussion on the matter. Whatever cons you can think of for a Ficus plant they can only apply if they don’t apply to Tambi. For example. “Ficus plants are incapable of thought.!” Neither is Tambillini.

At the draft the Ficus plants will conduct a fan poll to determine who the first round pick is and the rest will be picked based on highest ranked Central Scouting player available. So drafting will likely be similar to current regime but possibly better.

15. RMGS says:

Whatever one may feel about the hit, the season is likely lost if the team’s best player by a country mile is out for 5 games. Given the current dismal state of things, I can’t see a single win without Hall in the lineup.

16. DBO says:

This is the end or the beginning of this current team. they need some “us against the world” thoughts to drive them together. Otherwise, shed your vets who will not be here in 2 years, add some mid 20′s players who BALANCE out your team (crazy idea I know), find some assholes that can play (I hate them as well, but Vancouver has done a great job of having the whole league hates us so fuck them attitude). We need some of that. And for the love of all things holy, get some players who can actually get the damn puck out of our zone. At least 50% (I know, but it seemed like it) of the time we turned the puck over at the blue trying to leave the zone. Just can’t happen.

17. fuzzy muppet says:

My guess: Hall gets one game. He’s not a repeat offender and the hit, though late and definitely dirty, isn’t the egregious “knee on knee” variety.

Also, the NHL isn’t in the business of suspending young, star quality players for long periods.

On another note, I expect more posts about draft rankings and selling of players. This team clearly isn’t playoff quality.

I’m also giving this date as the over/under for Tambellini’s dismissal and MacT’s elevation to GM. May 1st…I’ll take the under.

The only thing Tambo’s proved in his tenure is that he is an all time shit GM. last, last, 2nd to last, and More than likely bottom 5…YUCK

18. regwald says:

fuzzy muppet,

I think most people on this site will take the under on that May 1st date.

19. Bos8 says:

What Messier did once, would not fly now. However, I was always partial to the well placed elbow or a butt end in the ribs. Unfortunately the sneaky butt end is a lost art. Bring back Johnny Bucyk. Gordie Howe at a dinner, talking about Johnny Bucyk, the Lady Byng and the classic butt end, brought tears to your eyes.

20. regwald says:

I mentioned in a previous thread about Yak getting the raw end of the stick from the refs. As much as it sucks, he needs to keep sticking up for himself.

The Hall hit is similar. Not the cleanest hit we’ve seen, but given how hard he hit Clutterbuck, it was a statement hit. He was angry, he intended to separate the puck carrier from the puck. This was about taking control of the game and energizing his team mates.

That’s why they drafted Hall, not Seguin. Chalk up a couple more points on the ledger for Hall for being elevated from A to the C ahead of Eberle.

I think he gets 2 or 3 games. I am okay with that. In fact, it is totally worth it. Clutterbuck runs around a lot like Matt Cooke (not as dirty), but still runs around. And now Hall has changed the view for opposing forwards.

I think this hit made his teammates an inch taller and 10 lbs heavier.

21. Smarmy says:

This is a truncated season. 3-5 game suspension would be like a 7-10 in a normal season. I don’t know why people are talking about big suspensions when:

1). Hall has no history of suspensions.
    2). It wasn’t a head shot.
    3). It isn’t even that malicious a hit.

Now Ficus Plants. I bet they could find a defenseman.

22. OiOiOil says:

If reports were true and Clutterbuck is wearing a wrap on his thigh, How can either of these infractions be considered?

1) Kneeing – The knee didn’t get hit
    Evidence – No knee injury, thigh injury

2) Clipping – The hit wasn’t below the knees
    Evidence – thigh injury, thigh is above knee

23. Smarmy says:

The only plus I can see right now for the Oilers is Hall is sick of the team being shit. Katz only cares about money for his new building but an angry Hall might get Darryl to start the front office cull this year.

DBO: Intrare, tuo proprio periculo.

Oilers of the 80′s were the most hated team in the league.

25. DBO says:

Woodguy,

Exactly. Gritty, nasty and cheap when needed, and tons of both skill and arrogance. Time to get some. They were a true team, sticking up for each other, boozing and other things together, and i think Sather made it happen. us against the world. We need way more of that.

Rishaug on 1260 just had a great point about last night. Someone needed to start a fight in the third to wake up the team. yeah Eager hit people, but when you are flat someone needs to wake them up and right now no one but maybe Hall has that attitude. Doesn’t seem like enough of them hate losing and know what it takes to sacrifice for the team. A generalization yes, but at some point leaders step up. Right now, Hall is the one and only doing it and that is not enough.

Bos8:
    What Messier did once, would not fly now.However, I was always partial to the well placed elbow or a butt end in the ribs.Unfortunately the sneaky butt end is a lost art. Bring back Johnny Bucyk.Gordie Howe at a dinner, talking about Johnny Bucyk, the Lady Byng and the classic butt end, brought tears to your eyes.

Many of Messier’s actions were of criminal intentional to hurt many opponents.

We loved him for it.

27. bookje says:

My prediction is that Hall gets something stupid such as 5 games and that this comes as the team is facing the roadtrip from hell. The media will go on about how the team is basically doomed, that the Oilers are a lottery team and won’t be able to recover. The Oilers will go on to win 6 out of 9 on the road.

28. daryl says:

Just watched the video finally – I am the most biased person in the world and I don’t think its a suspension at all. Its a debatable late hit even.

29. regwald says:

Smarmy:

1). Hall has no history of suspensions.
    2). It wasn’t a head shot.
    3). It isn’t even that malicious a hit.

Now Ficus Plants. I bet they could find a defenseman.

All except for that Match penalty that was rescinded in the AHL. That will weigh into it, I am sure.

Also,

LT was wondering why the 89-83 combo is getting so out-shot

By my eye last night, they didn’t get any second chances.

They are getting in on the rush, getting off 1 shot (fi that) then lose possession and don’t get it back.

Conversely the gifted trio regains possession much, much, much more often after a shot and gets another.

Neither line creates much traffic in front of the net though.

Most NHL goals are not scored on the first shot, they are scored on the rebounds/scrambles that ensue after the first shot.

Stuff that works on AHL goalies and Dman doesn’t work in the NHL nearly as often.

The Oilers create no havoc or chaos or scrambles.

There is no net presence to create what is needed for 5v5 success.

Its funny, they have the toughest part down pretty well (has faded last 2 games though). Get possession and get to the ozone.

The next part is to create havoc in the scoring areas.

I’m not a coke machine guy, but a Hartnell/Smyth (in his prime or younger) type who goes to the net like its his home in the ozone is sorely lacking on this team.

The offensively gifted Red WIngs had Holmstrom and The Mule. Its needed for the Datsyuk’s and Zetterburgs to have success.

I don’t want JFJ up on those line, and RK seems to not be seeing enough of 56 to trust him to leave him up on those lines, but it doesn’t mean its not needed.

The refrain from the MSM is “Oilers need to get bigger”.

I don’t think that’s true, but a lot players need to get braver and understand their job is to take a beating in front of the net.

It hurts, and it can even shorten your career (Craig Simpson), but its the job.

31. Bos8 says:

Woodguy: I find it amusing that many of the MSM wriiters who revere Messier as the same that “tut-tut” stuff like this Hall did.

Many of Messier’s actions were of criminal intentional to hurt many opponents.

We loved him for it.

Mad Moose warning

The standing joke was about the Russian forward back in Siberia

“Ivan, you look terrible, what happened?”
    “Mmm, Mmmes”
    “Ah yes, of course”

32. sliderule says:

Job number one for Tambo is fire Chabot.All our goalies including ok city sit back in net.

Leafs fired their goalie coach last year and now their goalies are both playing great.

If you could hire Sean Burke from Phoenix it would be my number one choice.Coyotes take other team discards like Smith and turn them into aces.

Job number two is fire RK and rest of staff.Let’s face it the reason they hired RK is that he is the only choice that would have kept Lowes buddies on the payroll..Any other coach would have insisted on own staff.

I am sure that there are some other candidates that you might think of that need firing.

Let us know your list.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I wonder if Shany will have this in mind as a comparable:

34. TheOtherJohn says:

bookje:
    My prediction is that Hall gets something stupid such as 5 games and that this comes as the team is facing the roadtrip from hell.The media will go on about how the team is basically doomed, that the Oilers are a lottery team and won’t be able to recover.The Oilers will go on to win 6 out of 9 on the road.

I expect Hall to get 1-2 games. There is a greater probability that the Oilers get 3 wins on this road trip. Sad thing is one week from now Oil could be out of playoff hunt.

Was this year another of the Oiler management planned tank jobs?

35. daryl says:

Woodguy: “I don’t want JFJ up on those lines…”

That’s gold.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Many of Messier’s actions were of criminal intentional to hurt many opponents.

We loved him for it.

That’s about right…

the same crowd calling for the Oil to get tough will be calling for Hall’s head.

LT: “Give him 5 games. Go the freak ahead.”

My concern here would be the Sutton effect. Hall plays with an edge and this won’t be the last time we are discussing one of his frustrated marvels… but I don’t want to see this lead to some chinzy call down the road getting him 9 or 10 games and him branded as a dirty player.

Hartnell has managed to escape suspension in most cases and is a much dirtier player… this history of teflon is going to help him… I hope Hall gets the same courtesy.

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Does the AHL honor NHL suspensions?

Since Hall is still under the Waiver # (he is, right?), why not send him down to OKC for a few games?

38. DBO says:

I’ll say 1 game for Hall. 1st time offender in NHL, not knee on knee, only thigh. Etc.

Next month when healthy, here ya go for lines:

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
    Smyth-Gagner-Eberle
    Harsky-Horc-Yakupov
    Eager-Belanger-Jones

You can put Jones in for Harsky if needed, and play Petrell on the 4th instead of Harsky. About the most balance we can get with our roster. And all of the lines have responsible or vet players, and allows Krueger to roll his lines (which he already does, but it kills us far too much).

39. denny33 says:

BlacqueJacque,

I think this is a great point. Taylor Hall is now going to have a target on his back….

Fortunately, we have Gagne, RNH and Hemsky that have his back.

40. slopitch says:

After seeing Clutterbuck run Hemsky twice and look him in the eyes as Hemsky skated by him, I’m glad Hall stepped up. I wonder if he’ll back it next game when Clutterbuck wants to drop the mits.

The lack of 5on5 offense on this team is baffling

41. RMGS says:

Woodguy:
    Also,

LT was wondering why the 89-83 combo is getting so out-shot

By my eye last night, they didn’t get any second chances.

Neither line creates much traffic in front of the net though.

The Oilers create no havoc or chaos or scrambles.

There is no net presence to create what is needed for 5v5 success.

Its funny, they have the toughest part down pretty well (has faded last 2 games though).Get possession and get to the ozone.

The next part is to create havoc in the scoring areas.

The offensively gifted Red WIngs had Holmstrom and The Mule.Its needed for the Datsyuk’s and Zetterburgs to have success.

The refrain from the MSM is “Oilers need to get bigger”.

I don’t think that’s true, but a lot players need to get braver and understand their job is to take a beating in front ofthe net.

It hurts, and it can even shorten your career (Craig Simpson), but its the job.

42. DBO says:

So not interested in working this morning. We always talk about a good mix of vets and kids to maximize contracts, experience, etc. But our issue with our vets seems to be they are too old and have dropped too far and our kids are too young. We lack a lot of players in the 25-30 range. I hope the org looks to find some 25-27 yr olds who are “vets” who still have enough drive and opportunity to grow. We used to be great at acquiring these types of players (Staios, etc. LT has mentioned this a few times). Target some players who are somewhat underused by older teams who are running for the cup this year and try and deal our vets for these players. Cup contenders make the deal because they want vets at the deadline and moving 4th liners does not hurt them as both the coach and the GM need the cup to keep their job.

Belanger and Whitney for Boyle and mid prospect
    - NYR do it because they have a 2 yr window and Boyle has been HS’d a few times. And they need PP help and on a good team with solid system Whitney can be sheltered and protected and he improves their struggling PP.

Bulin to the Leafs for mid pick
    - laugh if you want, but Nonis talked about wanting a vet goalie who can mentor the kids and step in if needed. Bulin fits, and you might as well take away Tambo’s temptation to resign Bulin (which you just know happens if he has 2 or 3 more good games).

Smyth will stay, Horc will stay one more year, and the off season better be used to find some dmen. Gagner is in play, especially if they consider moving Hall to centre.

43. RMGS says:

Why won’t Krueger adjust the match-ups to his team’s advantage even with last change?

44. cabbiesmacker says:

No. It comes down to the young men who the Oilers have drafted to take them to the promised land, and the players who are on the ice with them, to change the tide, to stand up for themselves, to stop being the 110 pound weakling

A little unfair to ask kids like Yak, Nuge, and Eberle to stand up for themselves I think. This is all on Oiler management for doing absolutely SFA during the offseason to add support for kids in the learning stages. Nope. Instead they sat smugly in the background believing 3 number 1 overalls and a young FA D signing was enough.

Idiots. Quite possibly the worst management team in the entire NHL considering what they’ve had fall into their laps. Deeming themselves competent and pretending to have a gameplan while finishing 30, 30, and 29. Or was the gameplan to suck like an old Electrolux and be a laughing stock?

Also pretty tough to put this all on ST when clearly this team adopts a management by committee philosophy. Does anyone really believe he is free to make the moves he sees as required without consulting at least 2 others first? Anyone really believe he has close to final say either?

It all falls on Lowe for being obtuse and our esteemed owner for not having the stones to do something about the situation.

Only in Edmonton would a 30 year old legacy still buy people a reputation and repect when they continue to fall to incomprehensible levels of ineptitude.

At least my Blackhawks had an owner to pin the blame on for close to 50 years of stupidity. Once he was gone the tides turned.

Three years of Hall and Eberle wasted.

Two years of RNH wasted.

Why the hell is Yakupov even on this team if they knew the playoffs were a pipe dream?

Can’t wait to see which of this teams Fab 5 kids is the first to be sacrificed.

I feel really sorry for long term Oiler fans. I really do.

RMGS: This is bang on, though they don’t need the coke machines to do it. The Habs are playing a stiflingly different defensive game, but that small team is scoring its goals in the “danger zone.”

Habs is a great example.

Pacioretty and Bourque are both 6’2 though.

Deharnias is 5’7″ and Plekanec is 5’11″

Good mix.

Also for the record I was completely wrong 3 years ago when FPB suggested the OIlers trade 83 to the Habs for Pacioretty (was still in the AHL)

FPB nailed that.

RMGS:

RK seems more interested in getting his top 2 lines softer minutes than going after the other team’s top lines.

In theory it should lead to higher scoring games but its not happening yet.

47. G Money says:

Maddening.

48. Captain Obvious says:

The Oilers problem is they don’t have enough skill. Right now they have five skill players plus Yakupov whose unbelievably talented and also lost out on the ice.

Compare that to Chicago which has eight (Kane, Hossa, Toews, Sharp, Stalberg, Bolland, Kruger, Frolic) and two more in Shaw and Bickell who would be our sixth and seventh best scorers I’m not even counting. They also have their own rookie in Saad and that’s without talking about their D.

Or take a team that plays a defensive style like St. Louis. They have ten forwards I would count as skilled players plus Pietreangelo and Shattenkirk.

Edmonton needs to be acquiring more skill players. It’s too hard to score in the NHL to rely on only a few players. You can’t win in the NHL without at least three scoring lines.

The Oilers don’t need to get bigger and they don’t need for the kids to grow up, they need more good players. Eric Staal is a great player but the Hurricanes have been terrible. Kovalchuk is a great player but the Thrashers never won anything. Tavares is a great player but the Islanders never win. Having a few very good players is not anywhere near good enough. Hall, Eberle, and Hopkins will never be good enough to carry this team so long as the third and fourth lines are populated with people like Belanger, Smyth, Eager, and Petrell.

They need to play the hell out of Paajarvi and Haartikainen and find out if they can score. They need to scour the earth for scoring bargains. They need to find P.A. Parenteau before the FA contract, they need to sign the next Damien Brunner (or bring back the one they already have), go back in time and trade for Vladimir Sobotka (like I wanted to last year), they need to claim a Michael Grabner off waivers. They need to trade magic beans for Antoine Vermette. These are the players they need.

They also need to make a James Neal or Van Riemsdyk great trade, both of which were obvious steals at the time.

Until these things happen this team will never win. They need more good players

49. RMGS says:

Woodguy,

I didn’t mind the coach’s focus on zone starts to start, but 16 games later it (among other things) hasn’t worked. There’s tangible evidence suggesting that, in practice, certain forward lines and D-pairs perform better against certain opposition and with certain teammates. Especially with last change and with only FIVE wins in 16 games, why ignore that?

50. Bar_Qu says:

Why are you all so upset this morning? What has changed? Nothing.

I mean Hall clobbered a guy (I stand by my ‘boderline filthy’ assessment from last night), but overall this us still a young team making young team mistakes. Get your spleen in check, because they will continue to run hit & cold for A little while.

But i do agree with the overall feeling that it was a good lesson for Hall to teach himself last night-make them respect you/fear you & space opens up. Hopefully Yak learns this earlier , but he is already throwing his weight around, which is hopeful.

51. denny33 says:

Woodguy,

One of the best posts I have seen that captures what the analysts and critics have been saying….

On two occasions, Backstrom made a save and gave up a rebound that he had no idea where the puck was…..the puck lay there waiting – one mississipi,.. two mississipi …, three mississipi,, , four missippi,,,,, five misissipi – FINALLY Backstrom finds it and covers it.

And the replay reveals what the league has been talking about ( Debrusk mentioned it ) nobody CLOSE to getting that juicy – FAT – puck. Hemsky boxed out by Suter and the same with another forward. Boxed out.

Losing patience with the top line as well. At some point, you have to score goals. Compared to Taylor Hall – not sure Jordan Eberle’s effort is up to snuff.

In fact, when Jordan Eberle is not play-making or scoring – he comes dangerously close to being a liability.

52. Ribs says:

Woodguy,

Don’t worry WG, Ryan Jones got this. ;)

53. RMGS says:

@DKingBH: Hall’s hit blurring the fact that if you’re outchanced by nearly double digits at home vs the Wild something’s rotten with your club

54. denny33 says:

Bar_Qu,

We are in year 4 or 5 of the rebuild and in 2013 – we are still losing games.

Worse -we are losing to teams that are terrible. TERRIBLE.

Minnesota is a bad hockey team. We have faced a LOT of bad teams so far this year and we have scored 12 – 5 on 5 goals (true 5 on 5 )

55. Captain Obvious says:

denny33,

Minnesota is a terrible hockey team that still has more skill players than Edmonton.

56. delooper says:

denny33,

Maybe all of Eberle’s TV commercials are going to his head?

57. denny33 says:

G Money,

Taylor Hall said it the other day – we are weak on the puck ( not big enough or strong enough ) and to repeat what I have seen and what all the critics and analysts are seeing …Five on Five – we are not coming NEAR the net. That is not a concious choice – it is because we are being boxed out from getting to the net all together.

With all sincerity, please re-watch the game and the offensive rebound opportunities – you can see the Wild box out Gagner and Hemsky and the smaller forwards.

Last night there were textbook examples of what lies BEHIND the devastating numbers of 5 on 5 goals.

58. russ99 says:

Woodguy,

Spot on – there have been a ton of cherry rebounds, and nobody is remotely near to them to make an attempt on them.

Seems the Oilers offense consists of making cute plays to break in to the zone and then lose the puck and try to get it back.

They need to shoot and need to get people in positions to do something after the first shot. Seems to me they’re cheating on the boards to regain possession rather than work hard to keep it.

59. Oilanderp says:

*spits*

60. denny33 says:

Competition:

I am going to submit that the 3rd D- pairing of the Minnesota Wild is brutal . Nate Prosser can’t crack a bad Minny team. He has slower feet than Ryan Whitney. Brutal agility. Brutal foot speed.

To all the Oiler bottom 6 forwards with ZERO goals – this includes the ‘Swede with mind numbing speed ( I know he has 2 goals )- Nate Prosser – was on the ice for 12 minutes and 21 seconds last night.

Eric Belanger played 15 minutes last night.

Question – what conditions, as far as opposition goes, need to be created to have some of our bottom forwards score a goal?

We have now completed a third of the season.

I thought goaltending was supposed to be our biggest question coming into this year?

61. Ice Sage says:

I think we’re getting close to the truth about this team – they’re scared, pretty boys who are soft on the puck. They can shoot all they want… from 20 ft at a bad angle, who cares?
    The mediocre start to the season was actually the OKC bump and now the fab 4 have deflated and the team is shite.
    I’m starting to worry about whether RFK is the guy to take them to the next level.

62. G Money says:

denny33,

No. When Taylor Hall talks about being weak on the puck, I guarantee you it means in the defensive zone, where only a few players seem to be willing to sacrifice enough to win puck battles.

That is not the problem in the offensive zone.

The reason the Oilers are not going near the net is because of all the pretty play attempts. Yes, on occasion the Oiler players get boxed out. So what? So does every player, that means the defense is doing its job. Speed and aggression are more effective at driving the net than size. Minnesota is not a big team – in fact, last year they were considerably smaller than the Oilers, and I don’t think that has changed much from last year to this year. The average weight of the Wild D is a staggering 198 lbs. SIZE IS NOT THE ISSUE.

What the Oilers do is pass up dozens of opportunities to shoot in order to try and make pretty plays. You say “watch the rebound opportunities.” I say – what rebound opportunities? You only get rebounds if you take a shot. Until that changes (as it did against Dallas and Colorado), last nights results will be typical.

Thankfully, it only requires an attitude change and not a player change, but even for the former, time is running out.

63. bookje says:

I don’t think its time to talk about firing the coach yet, but has anybody noticed the terribly negative influence that the dressing room staff are having on the team?

64. G Money says:

By the way, for those still thinking size (and not attitude) is the issue, the average weights (I ignored height for now) of last nights rosters:

Oilers:
    D Average: 212 lbs
    F Average: 196 lbs
    Overall: 202 lbs

WIld:
    D Average: 198 lbs
    F Average: 201 lbs (198lbs outside of Mike Rupp’s 243 lbs)
    Overall: 200 lbs

(All player weights came from the Oilers and Wild websites, FWIW. I left out players on the roster that did not play last night – otherwise I think the Oilers actually would have been even bigger. I also left out goalies, where again the Oiler goalies are considerably bigger than the Wild goalies)

65. Roughneck says:

During the entire Taylor vs Tyler debate THIS very element of Halls game was often the tipping point.

Amen LT…. the Oilers top six is cream puff soft. ANY physical element at all no matter how arguably borderline it is is a welcome addition.

Bring it on indeed.

66. Roughneck says:

G Money,

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

References…… Dustin Penner and Theoren Fleury

67. G Money says:

Roughneck,

Yes, that is my point!

It’s not that the Oilers are too small, it’s that they are PLAYING too small.

Except for Hall – which is why I’m 100% behind his hit, which I think was a hip check and borderline late, but still awesome. There’s at least some fight in *that* dog.

68. SK Oiler Fan says:

Smarmy:

This.
    IMO, the Hall hit was a borderline hit from a frustrated player, nothing more. It doesn’t accomplish or change much and isn’t going to help them win the next game or any future game. It doesn’t change the fact that this team has major personnel issues. Anybody trying to hold this one hit up under a spotlight as a turning point or the top of the mountain is fabricating hope to make themselves feel better about being a fan of this shitty team.

Ficus plants hey? I’ll bite. What were those plants called on the old Star Trek that tried to swallow Kirk? They’d definately be an upgrade over Tambolowe.

69. Ribs says:

First overall pick Dipietro on waivers says TSN. Put that phone down, Tamby! It’s a trap!

70. BlacqueJacque says:

Something to put a smile on everyone’s face today…

71. regwald says:

RMGS,

~~~ Oh boy … that Allan Mitchell guy sure supports some nasty players. good thing this blog is so straight laced ~~~~

;)

72. crude says:

Hall’s hit was disgusting. There is no way that sort of thing should be allowed to happen. A team does not need that element, and if they do the game is busted.

73. RMGS says:

regwald:
    RMGS,

There’s no way I’m kicking (Alberta) beach sand in that Mitchell guy’s face and try to steal his girlfriend! ;-)

74. Smarmy says:

SK Oiler Fan,

Those plants should be our defense. :)

A Ficus plant GM would at least create oxygen. Steve Tambo can’t even do that.

75. Smarmy says:

What would even be Steve’s big moment as a GM? The only thing I can think of is that shit eating grin he had when he won the Yakupov sweeps. Blech what a dud.

76. tubes says:

crude:

You’ve never played competitive hockey in your life have you? Volleyball player by chance?

77. G Money says:

RMGS,

I respect Willis’ opinions, but his article is somewhat self-contradictory in that the headline is:

“There isn’t a good excuse for Taylor Hall’s hit on Cal Clutterbuck”

and yet in the text itself, he explains:

“It’s unfortunate that a willingness to play over the line is seen as so valuable. It’s ridiculous that the NHL has been so unwilling to crack down on dirty hits – to the head, or often enough, to the knees. Cal Clutterbuck is not a sympathetic victim; and the Minnesota Wild are not a sympathetic team.”

It is exactly that combination of facts, that Clutterbuck/WIld have a history of predatory intent-to-injure hits, and more than once the victims have been Oiler players … that allows Oiler fans to cheer the hit – even though most acknowledge that its at least borderline dirty. The reality is that its no worse than two dozen of Clutterbucks hits over the last few years, and karma’s a bitch when she bites back. I feel no different about this hit than the way I felt about Carcillo’s blown knee when he slewfooted Gilbert a while back.

78. hunter1909 says:

crude: Hall’s hit was disgusting. There is no way that sort of thing should be allowed to happen.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

79. crude says:

tubes,

Volley ball was too rough, Mom said “No way”

80. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Good read. Me like. This team needs some good, hard hockey players, A “Grind Line” with someone to toss the knuckles and still be able to play. McCarty-ish? I’d say. Maltby-Draper-McCarty it was a good line.

I’m fine with Hall’s hit too. Gotta grab the lunch box, put on the hard hat and get dirty. It’s time to go Chicago on these Mo Fo’s!

“Here’s how you get him. He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue! That’s the Chicago way…” – Malone (The Untouchables)

My word, yo!

Disclaimer: No, please, don’t go out and kill anyone! lol

81. crude says:

hunter1909,

Good point.

82. RMGS says:

G Money,

I’m a bit ambivalent about the hit. Several of those happen every year with little coherent and consistent response by the league, so I’m just relieved it was an Oiler giving it and not taking it for a change. Hall’s an absolute beast and leads by example.

That said, Willis makes a necessary point – unless we’re comfortable with the slippery slope down which “taking matters into your own hands” may take the sport (cue some old timey line brawls), objecting to head shots, kneeing, clipping, etc. makes sense.

83. delooper says:

The whole point of Clutterbuck’s career is to dish out hits of the type Hall gave him. How on earth is that not a RIGHT and JUST hit? It’s as if god himself wanted to smite Clutterbuck.

84. Bos8 says:

delooper:
    The whole point of Clutterbuck’s career is to dish out hits of the type Hall gave him.How on earth is that not a RIGHT and JUST hit? It’s as if god himself wanted to smite Clutterbuck.

Yep

Old joke punch line

Comes the big finger from the cloud

“Cause you piss me off”

85. fifthcartel says:

This may be in bad taste, but if Hall has a chance to hit a vulnerable Clutterbuck, even if it’s a little late, then I say take that every time.

86. gcw_rocks says:

Love the analysis on Boys on the Bus. This bit is great, “Have a look at the curious nights by the men who started on the 2nd line. Gagner and Hemsky ended the night tied for a team worst -12. This is, of course, now the 9th time in 16 games Gagner has ended in the bottom 3 skaters for Corsi. But the young Russian who started on their wing somehow ended the night +4, for the 3rd best Corsi rate on the team.”

Maybe it is time to break up Gagner and Hemsky?

87. Lucinius says:

I’ve never been a fan of Gagner and Hemsky together. They don’t actually do that well together due to their playstyles. Watch how both players attack the zone for a glaring example of it.

For the Oilers I’ve wanted something along the lines of;

RNH – Yakupov – Hemsky
    Gagner – Hall – Eberle
    Horcoff/Belanger – Smyth/Harski – MPS/Jones
    Belanger/VVD/Lander – Harski/Eager/Smyth – Jones/MPS

To me that makes the most sense in terms of getting the most out of players and how they actually play the game, instinctively and system-wise.

88. jimbones100 says:

gcw_rocks,

Agreed. It is time for Sam to demonstrate some leadership and show he can be a team player. It is not that he hasn’t had a vet to show him all about the defensive side of the game (horcoff).

I really hope the coaching staff is working hard with Sam. And I really hope if he isn’t getting the message that they use the press box to prove their point (when 10 returns).

89. Smarmy says:

When’s the league gonna conclude this dumb shit with Hall? I’ve got things on hold until I find out.

90. G Money says:

RMGS:

All fair points.

Perhaps Hall can use that as an excuse: “I couldn’t keep from hitting him ’cause I was sliding down a slippery slope!!”

91. "Steve Smith" says:

Smarmy:I’ve got things on hold until I find out.

Me too, and the judge is getting impatient.

I’d still keep Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle together till they figure it out. Too much talent and brains to eventually not figure it out.

I’d stick Gagner between Paajarvi and Hartikainen. (This won’t happen because Paajarvi is headed back to the AHL tomorrow unfortunately.)

Blender the rest to figure out combos. The only long term guy there is Yakupov. I would try finding a combo that was facilitate his development.

Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle
    Paajarvi, Gagner, Hartikainen
    Smyth, Belanger, Eager/Jones
    Yakupov, Vandevelde/Horcoff, Hemsky

93. DBO says:

Looks like the problems 5v5 are on the 4th line as lines at practice today were

Hall-Nuge_ebs
    Yak-gags-Hemsky
    Smyth-Belanger-Eager
    Petrell-Vande-Jones

yep, that’ll fix it.

94. Smarmy says:

“Steve Smith”: Me too, and the judge is getting impatient.

Mine is whether or not to consume this hemlock I have. Leaning towards downing it. Another skull for the Katz throne.

95. refmaksy says:

slopitch: The lack of 5on5 offense on this team is baffling

It is indeed baffling, good point. In watching the games, I see countless opportunities missed to simply put the puck on net and crash the net, and no one is going to crease to screen the goalie, deflect shots, create traffic, etc. Last night third period, you could almost hear Rexall yelling “shoot” after Hemsky dumped off the puck when he was past the top of the circle.

Maksy.

96. refmaksy says:

G Money: The Oilers don’t actually need bigger players – they did NOT get pushed around last night, in fact they outhit the Wild, and the FISTric/Teddy Peckman combo was a lean mean hitting machine. That and Smyth’s goal were the only enjoyable parts of last nights game.I’m just going to repeat this over and over and over again until it’s not true anymore.THEY NEED TO SHOOT MORE. With the skill and speed that they have, 30+ shots every single night is a minimum, not a maximum. I am losing my voice yelling “SHOOT” at the TV.THEY NEED TO MAKE SIMPLE PLAYS TO EXIT THE ZONE. The sheer incompetence of repeatedly having full unpressured possession of the puck in the defensive zone and then just waiting and waiting until the forechecker takes it away is mind-boggling. I have lost count in both the Dallas and Minny games as to how many times it happened. I lost my voice yelling “GET IT THE F**K OUT OF THE ZONE” at the TV.Maddening.

GREAT POST!

97. delooper says:

Have Hall centre Hemsky and Yakupov. Call it the full-throttle line. The line of terror. Terror! Or the unstoppable force…

RNH can centre Gagner and Eberle. The dipsy-doodle fancypants trickster line.

98. hags9k says:

I don’t mind the hit, but I don’t really think it changes much other than weakening our lineup for the next little while. We can hope this galvanizes the team and makes for a turning point but reality is it probably just galvanizes a losing streak.

A better way of standing up at the beach would be for 4 to call Iginla on at center ice. If Hall would drop the gloves a couple times with some legit fighters then I think we could say we are tougher. Today all we can say is we are dirtier. That too is welcome, but it won’t count for nearly as much.

99. denny33 says:

G Money,

I believe Taylor Hall was referring to the offensive zone. He mentioned it again last night – to Spector – the team does not hit.

With Peckham, Fistric and Smid – they do bring some hitting on the back end.

Here is RK’s thoughts and like all the other comments from analysts and former coaches – they are bang on ( denote his thoughts on the defensive zone – goals against)

“The lack of 5-on-5 production is our achilles heel,” said Krueger. “We can all look at the goals against but trust me that’s quite solid. We keep the games low but the 5-on-5 needs to improve. Changing lines is something we will definitely look at.”

100. spoiler says:

When I watch the hit from the same line Hall is taking into the hit, his left knee is under his body and not extended at all. The right leg is extended in a push stride. It looks like Hall throws his hip/body into the check which, was a split second late.

Now you can certainly knee someone without extending your leg much, but there’s nothing I can see in the replays that shows Hall targeting Clutterbuck’s knee with his own knee. The injury to the upper thigh backs that up.

I think the refs got it wrong, which is fine considering the speed at which the play happened. How Fraser on TSN can concur though, with the aid of slo-mo and replay, is baffling. He’s lost all cred with me this season and I doubt that I will read his column again.

I can’t see how this can get more than a fine… For the borderline late hit.

And good on Hall for making the statement hit. Probably reverberated more through the Oiler dressing room than the Wild’s. This team misses Sutton and the implicit threat he brings.

101. delooper says:

And I’ll stop comparing Hall to Anderson if he keeps up this kind of play. But until he starts routinely breaking other players’ jaws and removing their teeth from their mouths with his stick and/or fists, I will not compare him to Messier.

102. bookje says:

tick tock tick tock….

I expect the league to be removing Hall’s right arm at the elbow as a penalty. It seems to be the way things go for the Oilers.

103. denny33 says:

The Edmonton Journal –

Oilers’ GM Steve Tambellini has to help his coach out right now. They need some bigger bodies up front if they have any hope of getting to the playoffs or hanging around to make it interesting over the last dozen games. The popular refrain is it’s hard to make a deal in this league–I get that– but Tambellini can’t keep bringing up guys from the minors. He has to bring in somebody from another team to shake things up.

104. Bar_Qu says:

Just to be clear, the only places Hall is being defended for the hit are on Oiler fan sites. Everyone else is calling it a clear 50.1 infraction. I’m not condemning Hall for it, just like I’m not cheering Clutterbuck being hurt (hockey is a brief enough career even if you make it), but some of you need to give up the narrative that this was a marginal hit and people are overreacting. I like that he is standing up for himself, and like other areas of his game the physical element will require some fine-tuning.

It was not acceptable under current rules (as enforced) and Hall will be suspended for it. Full stop.

105. denny33 says:

Hoping Hall only gets a couple games….worried the league might try to ‘send a message’…

Some guys on this team will have to really step up in Taylor’s absence….

Steve Ott anyone?

Buffalo is in a shambles and Steve Ott can stand in front of the net….Just throwing out ideas.

106. denny33 says:

Bar_Qu,

You are right. We have to try step outside the local ( biased ? ) view of things….

Ray Ferraro, Mark Spector all say Taylor should be suspended…

Quite frankly, I always try to decide things by reversing the situation. If Clutter$%#@ deliver that kind of hit on Hall – would we be saying the same things to defend the hit?

Some of us – me especially – would be going Crazy…

I am on the fence about it…I don’t think it was dirty in anyway. Just not sure about going low with 3 minutes left in the game….

Honestly, I am worried about retribution from Cluttersuck.

How long would Bryan Marchment last in the current NHL?

107. Bar_Qu says:

denny33,

When Duhatschek unhesistatingly calls it a bad hit, then it is.

Yeah, that’s my concern about the next Minny game, is how much retribution will be exacted. I have no doubt both players will be in that game and I think Cal is willing to stand before the league for whatever he does in revenge.

Marchment would last three seasons the way he played, maybe less.

108. spoiler says:

Ruling late this afternoon or early evening per Dreger tweet.

So… Drink up your Hemlock before it goes bad!

109. regwald says:

Just to be clear, I think it is just fine for Hall to be suspended. 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 games. Won’t be happy, if it is longer than 3.

But sometimes taking a penalty or getting a suspension is just what happens. Worth the price. This hit shapes his career and opens the eyes of the opponents. In addition, the team all feels bigger and stronger this morning because of the hit.

They should all take up a collection for Hallsy to offset the lost salary.

But this may look bad to other teams and fans, but sometimes it needs to happen.

110. G Money says:

“Take it hip to hip, rocket through the WILDerness”

111. sliderule says:

Sarich takes a run at Hall who doesn’t have the puck hits hall in head knocks him out .NHL says its a hockey play.
    Wilson runs Hall from blindside and finishes off his shoulder.NHL it a hockey play.
    Hall drills the Minny cheap shot artist on a borderline late hip check.NHL that’s not a hockey play.Suspend him.

112. G Money says:

Bar_Qu:

We’ll certainly be biased, but I suspect its also true that only the people on Oiler fan sites will have taken the time to go through the hit multiple times frame by frame on PVR. Most of the rest will have watched the TV once, if that, and then pronounced Hall’s guilt.

I personally went through the PVR repeats frame by frame a dozen times. It’s hip to thigh. The only knee aspect is one of Hall’s knees turned as he squatted into the hit (which you have to do to throw a hipcheck), but it also went between Clutterbuck’s legs. Good thing for Clutterbuck it DIDN’T make contact.

Hopefully the league will go frame by frame as well. I’m guessing they already did and that’s why it’s a phone call and not an in-person meeting. And I’m guessing Clutterbuck’s HIP or THIGH injury will be the corroborating evidence, since a knee-first leg on leg hit will either hurt the hit players knee, or will charley horse both players.

The questionable aspect to my mind is the timing of the hit. Based on the reckless disregard for player safety in most judgements (the fact that Clutterbuck has gone unsuspended being perhaps the finest and most apropos example), a fine would be appropriate. Given the insanely inconsistent rulings of the past, a suspension is not out of the question.

But still glad Hall threw it, still glad Clutterf*ck was the ever so appropriate target.

113. delooper says:

114. G Money says:

denny33,

Maybe I’m not being clear …

I take issue with the complaint that the Oilers are not big enough. This is not the reason they are having problems. Neither is it that they don’t hit enough. Last night’s game is a perfect example – as a team, the Oilers are BIGGER than the Wild, and in last nights game, the official stats show that the Oilers OUTHIT the Wild 34-19. Almost double.

The issue remains that the team is unwilling to make the simple plays. In the O-zone, that means take the simple shot then go chase it down in the crease and whack at it until it goes in, not passing endlessly hoping for the ideal shot, then giving it away instead. In the D-Zone, that means making the simple quick zone exit rather than waiting forever to make a pretty passing play, then giving it away instead.

The Oilers problems are not on the height and weight charts. The Oilers suffer from the Wizard of Oz of problems – no brains, no heart, no courage.

115. speeds says:

My understanding is that suspended players still count against the 23 man roster, can anyone confirm that? I can’t seem to find anything about it in the old CBA, but that is how I seem to remember it.

If so, and if the Oilers want to activate Jones, they’d still need to remove a player from the roster.

116. spoiler says:

delooper: Man with all this suspension talk, Hall should have ripped off Clutterbuck’s leg and beat him senseless with the sloppy end. That’d get people talking.

The skate end hurts more.

117. delooper says:

From the Oilers website it looks like Jones is playing against Pheonix. So presumably they’re doing something to deal with the roster spot issue.

118. delooper says:

spoiler: The skate end hurts more.

119. 42 percent body fat says:

Im thinking Halls pending suspension will have to do with who gets sent down. If its 5 games, I think Maggy stays in. If its one I think Hartski stays up.

Expect announcement right after hall announcement.

Also anyone been over to SB Nation The Wilderness, see what they are saying.

120. regwald says:

2 games according to Spector.

121. spoiler says:

delooper: Yeah, but imagine the photo op, beating a guy with the sloppy end. And the skate gives you something to hold on to.

Both very good points.

122. spoiler says:

regwald: 2 games according to Spector.

If so, the NHL continues with its inconsistent arbitrary ways. Big shock.

123. regwald says:

spoiler,

I think they called in Maggie the monkey for this one.

At least it’s only 2 games.

124. TartanArmy says:

2 games for kneeing (NHL.com). Bah…..

125. delooper says:

Maybe Hall should go visit Shanahan and “deliver a message” ?

126. striatic says:

127. spoiler says:

striatic: basically if Clutterbuck is a better player, and gets his stick on the puck, Hall doesn’t get suspended.still, risky to line up a hit on a player before you are sure they have the puck.

Doesn’t sound like it was for interference but rather the non-existent knee.

128. striatic says:

spoiler: Doesn’t sound like it was for interference but rather the non-existent knee.

129. Kris11 says:

Life in prison with no possibility of parole for Hall?

130. leadfarmer says:

Well at this rate Columbus will be pissed at us for taking two #1 picks away from them.

131. digdeepnbleedblue says:

Two games too much. Garbage…

132. spoiler says:

striatic: Shanahan says in the video “one of the contributing factors that elevates this kneeing penalty to a suspension is the fact that at no point does Clutterbuck control the puck …”

Thanks for that, bro… Haven’t been able to watch the vid, I’m still at work.

133. spoiler says:

spoiler: Thanks for that, bro… Haven’t been able to watch the vid, I’m still at work.

Although, I have never heard of ” a hit when not controlling the puck” as a suspendable act or even a penalty. Plenty of hits occur in the battle for an uncontrolled puck. I suppose this was more open ice though, and not in a “puck battle”. Still they could call this penalty every day of the week for what happens in front of the crease with the puck in the corner.

134. RickDeckard says:

Isn’t that true of basically every Kronwall hit? Damn shame that supplemental discipline isn’t a common law jurisdiction.

135. sliderule says:

I guess when Hall never touched the puck and got smoked by Sarich that Shanahan must have thought hall wanted to touch the puck and factored in intent.
    Oh the NHL!What a league .

136. B S says:

Watched the hit a couple of times and that’s a hip check, there is no knee-on-knee. Hall swings his hip low into Clutterbuck and good on him for it. For all those who say it is knee on knee, especially those media sheep, actually watch the damned hit. Hall’s leg follow through after the contact at the hips doesn’t go back in time to hit the knee, there is no time travel involved.

Bar_Qu:

“Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.” Gandhi. Just because they think it’s a knee doesn’t make it a knee. I know enough anatomy to tell you that that thing Hall hit with was his hip, the knee is about halfway down the leg and facing the front of the body. Hall would have had to stick his leg out before the hit (which he didn’t) and faced Clutterbuck head-on (he leans to his left). And yes I just quoted Gandhi to support a violent hit on a fellow human being.

137. spoiler says:

In the big picture, I think the price he’s paying is worth the hit… I just think the NHL is being somewhat arbitrary in this case.

138. hags9k says:

Knee, hip, who cares. I can’t believe how many people are trying to defend the hit as clean. He clearly went cruising in there with his ears back, looking for trouble. He found two games worth.

Now let’s rally and play some inspired road (soon) hockey. Shot blocking, smothering defense and some shoot shoot shoot crash crash crash at the other end. If ever there was a chance for Devan Dubnyk to emerge for real, it’s the next ten games.

GOILERS!

139. crude says:

refmaksy: It is indeed baffling, good point.In watching the games, I see countless opportunities missed to simply put the puck on net and crash the net, and no one is going to crease to screen the goalie, deflect shots, create traffic, etc. Last night third period, you could almost hear Rexall yelling “shoot” after Hemsky dumped off the puck when he was past the top of the circle.

Maksy.

Exactly. Kreuger should sit them down and show them Cullen’s second goal over and over. Every one of our guys probably would have tried to pass it to the other winger instead of taking that shot. It was extra irritating seeing what the oil need to do be used against them.

140. Bos8 says:

Good on Shanny. Two games is wink wink, nudge, nudge. A tap on the wrist. Had to do something to stop the righteous indignation.

How you sleepin tonight, Bucky?

141. knighttown says:

I’m surprised how a classy joint like this turns into hfBoards when something goes against us. Call it a knee, hip, interference whatever you want. When the game is over and someone does what Taylor Hall did it’s called one thing:

Intent to Injure

Arguing that Clutterbuck deserved it is juvenile but more importantly irrelevant. Does anyone really think that Brendan Shanahan has the right to look at the name on back of the jersey of the victim and decide he had it coming?

I get pissed off too. Hall’s taken some cheap ones and Lord knows his teammates have…I despised Morrow’s hit on Horcoff…but you can’t have it both ways. Evidence also shows that Hall is an emotional guy who tends to make stupid decisions (for instance, reactionary decision to put puck between his own legs on a breakaway). So you have an emotional, sightly immature player (Why you pulling the goalie!!), with a bit of a hot head who is known to make some bad decisions when he’s frustrated. This same player is trying to will his team to win and can’t do it so his frustration meter is red-lined. And he’s been “playing by the rules” for his career yet has been a victim a few times so likely feels some need for revenge.

I don’t blame him for lashing out. He probably feels much better now that he’s gotten this out of his system. i once kicked the windshield out of my golf cart after missing back to back 3 footers in a tournament and I have virtually no temper. It happens. But to use all the reasons he acted out as a justification for him to avoid punishment is nuts. Taylor Hall intended to injure Cal Clutterbuck and must pay the price.

142. knighttown says:

And now that I have that even-keeled post out of the way it’s time for my non-sensical one.

I swear to fuck, the next game in Minnesota, I would absolutely do the Flyers vs. Lightning stall tactic. The Wild generated absolutely nothing on their own accord. Every scoring chance was off an Oiler error. That’s not defending the Oilers…they blow and shouldn’t fall for that trap but that’s what terrible teams do.

The worst of it is that the Oilers brass are learning that it is exceedingly difficult to win playing fun hockey. You have to be so immensely talented like the Hawks. The Oilers know they are better than 10-20 teams but because of their system they are a bottom feeder. I hope they stay the course until their talent becomes overwhelming because I simply will not support this kind of hockey.

Every person in the NHL Offices should watch Pittsburgh-Philly, playoffs 2012 over and over and then make whatever tweaks to the game are needed until that is the product we fans get to see.

143. delooper says:

You’re taking this really seriously, knighttown. It’s just hockey. What you’re seeing is a group of people who were hoping the Oilers would start to pull things together this season, as they’re watching the team go through its growing pains. It’s not pretty but you know the expression “it’s a process”.

144. Bos8 says:

————————-

Yep. And he did – Two games.

Justice is served.

145. spoiler says:

knighttown:
    I’m surprised how a classy joint like this turns into hfBoards when something goes against us.Call it a knee, hip, interference whatever you want.When the game is over and someone does what Taylor Hall did it’s called one thing:

Intent to Injure

I don’t think it was all that emotional. I prefer to think of it as a cold, calculated message-sending assassination. And I hope the rest of the league gets that message.

;op

Arguing that Clutterbuck deserved it is juvenile but more importantly irrelevant.Does anyone really think that Brendan Shanahan has the right to look at the name on back of the jersey of the victim and decide he had it coming?

I get pissed off too.Hall’s taken some cheap ones and Lord knows his teammates have…I despised Morrow’s hit on Horcoff…but you can’t have it both ways.Evidence also shows that Hall is an emotional guy who tends to make stupid decisions (for instance, reactionary decision to put puck between his own legs on a breakaway).So you have an emotional, sightly immature player (Why you pulling the goalie!!), with a bit of a hot head who is known to make some bad decisions when he’s frustrated.This same player is trying to will his team to win and can’t do it so his frustration meter is red-lined.And he’s been “playing by the rules” for his career yet has been a victim a few times so likely feels some need for revenge.

I don’t blame him for lashing out.He probably feels much better now that he’s gotten this out of his system.i once kicked the windshield out of my golf cart after missing back to back 3 footers in a tournament and I have virtually no temper.It happens. But to use all the reasons he acted out as a justification for him to avoid punishment is nuts.Taylor Hall intended to injure Cal Clutterbuck and must pay the price.

146. B S says:

I should clarify, I never said it was a “clean hit” just pointing out that the call on the ice (as usual?) is wrong. The hit is late, it’s below the hips (upper thigh on Clutter@#$%), Also as a side note, prove intent to injure, you (and Shanny) can’t do it, you can suspect it as I do, but you can’t read Hall’s mind. I also don’t have a problem with refs and Shannahan penalizing Hall for it, but A) call a spade a spade and call a penalty what it is this intention this… could have done that…based on th injury B.S. has to stop, and B) be consistent for crying out loud it isn’t as hard as they’re making it seem in the NHL. I get that stuff gets missed while the refs are taking their smoke break, but the players are going to try whatever they think they can get away with and they have to assume unbiased officiating when they make that decision, i.e. if the other team gets to hack at your ankles and grab your stick, then in the interest of fair play you should be allowed to do the same.

Also, if Willis honestly thinks the NHL is trying to get those dirty plays out of the game he needs to watch a Pens game.

147. spoiler says:

I think I pocket posted. Love this phone, but it is starting to fail hard.

148. russ99 says:

knighttown,

Spot on.

Kinda sucks that we have dynamic offensive teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago and Washington and crappy Trap/system teams like Boston, LA and New Jersey are currently the most successful.

It’s a copycat league. If a skill team wins a few cups, the other teams will follow.

The league could do a few things to open up play a bit more, like really crack down on obstruction, not just for a month when it’s fashionable and either reduce goalie equipment or make the nets bigger.

149. BONVIE says:

sliderule:
    Sarich takes a run at Hall who doesn’t have the puck hits hall in head knocks him out .NHLsays its a hockey play.
    Halldrills the Minny cheap shot artist on a borderline late hip check.NHL that’s not a hockey play.Suspend him.

To me this is a fair assessment and exactly how I see it. I always laugh at the Taylor Hall rule how you can trip him or mug him, cross check him and the call never gets made.

Ribs:
    Woodguy,

Don’t worry WG, Ryan Jones got this.

Bruce was on me for the same thing.

I have to admit he does go to the net.

knighttown:

I swear to fuck, the next game in Minnesota, I would absolutely do the Flyers vs. Lightning stall tactic.The Wild generated absolutely nothing on their own accord.Every scoring chance was off an Oiler error.That’s not defending the Oilers…they blow and shouldn’t fall for that trap but that’s what terrible teams do.

The worst of it is that the Oilers brass are learning that it is exceedingly difficult to win playing fun hockey.You have to be so immensely talented like the Hawks.The Oilers know they are better than 10-20 teams but because of their system they are a bottom feeder.I hope they stay the course until their talent becomes overwhelming because I simply will not support this kind of hockey.

Good skaters and bad goalies. :)

Seriously. Shrink the pads or make the net bigger.

I like shrinking the pads and making the pads that auto-cover the 5 hole illegal.