HALL 2

The NHL Ouija board has spoken and Taylor Hall will miss 2 games–the one tomorrow against Phoenix and Chicago on Monday, with Damien Cox scheduling a special “not on the NHL schedule” game for Tuesday.

• Quoting Cox: Hall will, one imagines, receive at least a phone hearing with Shanahan, and it’s hard to believe he won’t get more than a game suspension. Complicating matters is that the two teams will meet in St. Paul on Tuesday, setting the stage for trouble if the league chooses not to act.

I think the penalty was too severe but the NHL and suspensions are kind of a comedy act so I’m glad he didn’t get 4. However, the real concern is this Tuesday game in St. Paul. I don’t think the Oilers know about it! Should we call someone?

pelss1

AEROS AT BARONS 22.2.13

The Barons didn’t get a lot done last weekend, grabbing a point in a shootout loss one night and then getting shut out the next night. This weekend the club will play Houston Aeros, the minor league team belonging to Minnesota Wild. Life gives us so much to enjoy!

The skilled men (since Jan 1):

1. Mark Arcobello 18, 5-10-15 -10
  2. Jonathan Cheechoo 9, 5-7-12 +2
  3. Toni Rajala 14, 5-7-12 +2
  4. Josh Green 18, 5-6-11 -7
  5. Phil Cornet 11, 6-4-10 +3
  6. Ryan Martindale 14, 5-3-8 -1
  7. Kristians Pelss 13, 1-5-6 +3

The Barons are now Cheechoo’s team offensively, as he goes so goes the team. The prospects (Rajala, Cornet, Martindale and Pelss) are doing some nice things in the new year, and a guy like Pelss has really emerged from the group as  a potential checking winger down the line–and a possible NHL callup next season. Heady days for the Latvian.

As a junior Pelss played a rugged game (95pims as a 19-year old with the Oil Kings) and he’s playing a strong physical game in OKC too. I wonder at this point if we can begin to talk about Pelss being the best candidate for that “2-way role” that Tyler Pitlick and Curtis Hamilton were slotted to fill?

Pitlick’s raw skills and size make him a better candidate from a physical standpoint, and Hamilton’s range of skills suggested he too was an idea candidate. However, the AHL is where the rubber hits the road and Pelss is the one making time.

• Tyler Pitlick 6.02, 196
  • Curtis Hamilton 6.02, 214
  • Kristians Pelss 5.11, 191

The summer top 20 is going to have a lot of movement, just as the Christmas edition showed how fluid the prospect list has been over this season. There’s a massive opportunity for a chippy winger, and maybe Pelss wins it. We’ll see. Pisani came from farther back, so you never know.

I expect the Oilers to send Paajarvi down tomorrow morning to make room for Ryan Jones, but it is the wrong move. Steve Tambellini and Kevin Lowe before him have the nasty habit of putting off decisions and thus weakening the big league roster. Paajarvi is easily among the top 12 forwards on this team, so sending him down because you can while keeping lesser players is lame.

Credit where due, they finally pulled the Hordichuk trigger. I am hopeful the club will turn the trick twice in a row and send out Corey Potter instead of Paajarvi.

I’m not counting on it.

50 Responses to "HALL 2"

1. Rondo says:

I’m listening to Vancouver sports radio and the announcer says if it was Clutterbuck hitting Hall is would have been at least 10 game suspension. Were do these fools come from.

2. shane leavitt says:

” I am hopeful the club will turn the trick twice in a row and send out Corey Potter instead of Paajarvi.”

Paajarvi would still sit for Jones though right?

3. DawnM says:

Is there really anyone that takes Cox seriously?

Can’t help wondering if Clutterbuck is going to be running around so much next time.

4. leadfarmer says:

Just saw the hit. Meh, Puck skips in front of Clutterbuck who tries to kick the puck and is not paying attention. Hall comes and gives him a hip check. Could he have slowed up. Yeah. But still better than all the high hits on players with their heads down.

5. hunter1909 says:

To Hell with Pitlick, and anyone else too shitty to make this putrid hockey team.

6. leadfarmer says:

This team sure can produce small forwards.

7. leadfarmer says:

I heard from a guy who knows a guy who works for a guy that he heard that after Horcoff went down the team decided to stop playing well in an effort to make Horcoff appear crucial to this team and the fans will start liking him again.

8. hunter1909 says:

leadfarmer,

Finally some news.

shane leavitt:

Paajarvi would still sit for Jones though right?

I’d play Paajarvi over Petrell.

10. hunter1909 says:

Kevin Lowe, armed with a severely budgeted team, manages to bag Mike Peca and Chris Pronger inside a few glorious days.

Steve Tambellini has the luck of the Devil.

Place Your bets!

11. jimbones100 says:

2 games. Seems fair. Well done Shanny.

12. BlacqueJacque says:

Not as bad as it could have been, good enough to establish Taylor’s reputation and perhaps dissuade him in the future, but not an accurate suspension, IMO.

On the other hand, without the best player on the roster, maybe the guys will pull their heads out of their asses? Especially Gagner and Hemsky?

More than likely, they’ll do a 2-game imitation of the post-Cup-run team.

I’m starting to get the Brownlee hate, btw.

13. hunter1909 says:

Well, it’s not like we owe these assholes anything.

Kellen Jones with a goal tonight for Quinnipiac.

15. shane leavitt says:

I’d play Paajarvi over Petrell.”

I wouldn’t sit Paajarvi or Hartikainen for the most part ever. I personally don’t recall the last time Petrell was a healthy scratch, so I have zero anticipation of that happening. Though i’d enjoy being wrong.

16. Bar_Qu says:

Hall is still a raw, glorious. unfinished player. He will figure out how to let his physicality terrify and intimidate the opponents within the bounds of NHL-bloodsporting rules. Much like he will discover how to lead one of those beautiful rushes and stay on his skates at the end of it.

I don’t mind the suspension, just like I appreciated where the hit came from (if not the hit itself) and hopefully the team will learn some of how to rely on itself and not just Hall to right the ship.

Bring on Phoenix!

17. Ice Sage says:

Given that the season’s a wash, at least Hall has distinguished himself: he’s not the one falling over now, and there will be a small ‘zone of fear’ around for a time while he’s buzzing on a rush.

However, without the one player who gives a crap in the lineup, I look to Lord Lowetide to find reasons to watch the next few games- more dreariness and frustration await, maybe even a good drubbing, yeeccchhh

Rajala (Cheechoo, Clark)

19. Smarmy says:

I thought he’d get a fine and no games so I admit I was wrong but I did throw out the caveat that the league is a joke about this sort of thing.

Scott Stevens would’ve given Clutterbuck a forearm shiver that would have had him spend the rest of his life getting dizzy after tying his shoes and that psycho is in the Hall of Fame. So uh guess the league is making progress.

Cornet (Cheechoo, Clark) 2-0 Barons

Hamilton (Martindale) 3-0 Barons

goals 14 seconds apart

21. Kris11 says:

Smarmy,

There’s no way to prove it, but I’ll bet dollars to donuts that there are former players who will die earlier than they should have because of a Scott Stevens hit. Maybe he didn’t know the head injuries were as bad as they are, but that dude was merciless, and people got really, no-foolin hurt.

22. Gerta Rauss says:

I hope Hamilton and Pitlick have a nice 2nd half and get the arrows pointing up.

We really need(ed) one of those 2 to find his way to the NHL.

23. digdeepnbleedblue says:

I agree Paajarvi shouldn’t be sent down. Kid has had some up and down games, but he has shown some good promise. Inconsistent, yet when he grinds it out his size and skill can create plays. I like his ability to carry the puck up the ice as well.

I think this year is a good year for the team to figure out the sum of their parts. Figuring out where some of these younger players can fit into the lineup. And, where they are best fitted. Whether that’s from development into a role or their own abilities determining their lineup spot.

Going to be interesting to see how Jones does. Injury, time out and all. Hall’s suspension creates an opportunity for Jones to regain some ground on the youth. I expect he’ll be fired up.

I’m guessing watching the Oil without Hall is going to be painful. Hall creates. He drives the play forward every shift. The boys gotta step it up!

Cheechoo (Cornet, Teubert)

McCarron with an assist tonight.

25. eidy says:

Reider still out from the car accident?

eidy:
    Reider still out from the car accident?

First game back tonight, didn’t score and was -1

27. Smarmy says:

I just found out the Vancouver Giants are doing Gordie Howe week, this upcoming week and he will be there to celebrate his 85th birthday with Bobby Hull and Marcel Dionne.

I’m gonna be ignorant here but why in Vancouver? Why not Saskatoon? What’s his tie to Vancouver or is this a case of Vancouver co-opting greats because they generally blow.

28. sliderule says:

Olver took out Tarasenko with a head shot.No penalty on play and so far no suspension.

Tarasenko was out cold and will not play for a while.

This NHL is a joke.

29. Smarmy says:

Blades win their 14th in a row. Can you imagine the Oilers winning like five in a row?

Smarmy:

31. Smarmy says:

Lowetide: Howe is I believe part owner of the Giants and has several business connections to the lower mainland including a long standing personal appearances contract with White Spot restaurants.

Okay so money. I don’t begrudge the man that. Thanks.

I still remember when I was 10 and my dad told me Gordie Howe was sitting a few rows over. (This is when he did scouting and this was the first or second year of Sask place. I went up to him and he gave me an 8×10 of himself and signed it. “See you in the NHL’” Still have it.

32. jp says:

sliderule:

Tarasenko was out cold and will not play for a while.

This NHL is a joke.

33. cabbiesmacker says:

Hawks with the win over the Sharks. Nice season start.

Real hockey management .

34. FastOil says:

jp: The NHL just needs to send a message to all those goons who keep headhunting the games young stars like, uh, Clutterbuck… Or something like that.

Cart before the horse IMO. If the league called it’s rules fairly and evenly, like most other professional NA leagues, Hall wouldn’t have to do that. And I doubt he wants to given his play up to this point in his career.

The fact there are “enforcers” who can’t even play the game is ridiculous. As it stands, unless a better player has the favour of the “impartial” refs, he’ll have to demonstrate a willingness to be mean spirited to deter the oafs who enjoy million $+ US cheques and don’t want to give them up for a life of prison time or ditch digging (joking but you get the point).

A few opponents head’s rolling will open the front of the net and lessen the attacks for the baby Oilers. By practice the league condones ancient Roman arena conduct – an eye for an eye, or a brain/knee for a hack. This from someone who has previously supported the rougher stuff but now finds it pointless and harmful to the league overall, and most importantly distasteful given the harm we know for certain it causes players. The league can’t be taken seriously with the backwoods/gladiator way it chooses to run in today’s world. Time to wise and grow up and move ahead.

If players think Hall is a switch flip away from an attack, he’ll have a Messier/Howe wide berth on the ice. Sad but true.

35. Showerhead says:

File this one under good omens:

I spoke to Fernando Pisani today. It was random, it was for work, and he has no reason to remember my name. But guys! I spoke to Fernando Pisani, you guys!

May this be the beginning of something great.

Also it made me watch this again:

36. Showerhead says:

I guess I should have also said the obligatory, “Lowetide, I don’t post very often these days but your blog continues to be a daily read. This thing that you are passionate about is part of my daily routine and that’s pretty awesome if you ask me.”

So yeah. Keep doing what you do.

Thanks, Showerhead. That’s very kind. Does Pisani have any teenage sons that are close to draft eligible? We might need another Pisani someday.

38. OilLeak says:

Lately it seems that Hall is one of the few Oilers putting in a consistent effort, I’m not sure if the team is down on itself for losing, or if the injuries are taking their toll, but this team just looks flat-out defeated. Let’s hope Krueger mixes the lines up a bit in hopes it jump-starts the team, because if the current effort is the best they can do then there will be no tears of joy to be had this season, just tears.

39. Showerhead says:

We need a Pisani here and now, I would say. At least he shot the puck when presented with a shooting lane. I also seem to remember him taking it to the freaking net every now and again.

All to say: it didn’t come up.

40. Bruce McCurdy says:

Funny, Showerhead’s name, er, handle came up in conversation with fellow bloggers over a wee dram (or two) tonight. So did Fernando Pisani’s.

Of course so did everybody from Eddie Shore and Aurel Joliat to Magnus Paajarvi and Vic Ferrari. So maybe it’s not such a coincidence after all.

Still, it’s nice to hear that both Showerhead & Fernando are alive and well.

Showerhead:

All to say: it didn’t come up.

Yeah, hell we could use three of them right now. Man. That goal in Carolina was so beautiful.

42. jp says:

FastOil,

No to disagree with your points, but I was just trying to be sarcastic about how the league is penalizing a “goon” (Hall) for hurting a “young star” (Clutterbuck), while other questionable hits go un-penalized. I see now that my wording was not clear.

43. refmaksy says:

LT WROTE: “However, the real concern is this Tuesday game in St. Paul. I don’t think the Oilers know about it! Should we call someone?”

Good stuff, got me laughing outloud, Maksy.

44. Captain Happy says:

Halls’ next game is in Minnesota.

He’s going to have to man up.

I don’t think it will end well.

45. Schitzo says:

Not sure Hall did himself any favours with his comments after the game implying that these types of hits are the result of the crackdown on hits to the head.

Captain Happy:
    Halls’ next game is in Minnesota.

He’s going to have to man up.

I don’t think it will end well.

So he misses Dallas and St. Louis? I don’t understand how Hall gets suspended for PHX and CHI but can’t play against the Stars and Blues. Maybe this is part of the Damien Cox schedule?

47. hags9k says:

Geez LT, what are the odds that Cheechoo earns a call-up? Could he play the Pisani role?

48. Ribs says:

Maybe Cox meant that the two teams are scheduled to meet for a nice brunch on Tuesday.

Hall – “Hey Cal, can you pass the mustard?”
    Clutterbuck – *stares down at Hall in silence*

Awkward!

Just more evidence that Cox lives in his own crazy little world.

49. "Steve Smith" says:

hags9k,

He certainly couldn’t last time he was in the NHL.

As well, he’s not currently under contract with the Oilers, so they’d have to do something about that.

Cheechoo is wood, not leather. I don’t know who the Pisani is on the Barons but he doesn’t score enough to play in the NHL.