A few months ago, Darryl Katz hired MacT as the minister of “are you sure you want to do that?” and since then the club’s decision-making is following a more logical set of train tracks.
Jonathan Willis has an article up about Steve Tambellini and his job security, and I think it is possible that the Oilers make a change this summer. It’s also possible everyone in management likes the current situation and we’ll see business as usual .
Last summer, the Oilers spent their big money on the following:
- June 11: Oilers hire MacT as Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations.
- June 19: Signed Lennart Petrell to a 1-year, $825,000 contract.
- June 27: Named Ralpk Krueger head coach.
- July 1: Won the Justin Schultz sweepstakes.
- July 1: Signed Ryan Smyth to a 2-year, $4.5M contract.
- July 1: Signed Darcy Hordichuk to a 1-year, $850,000 contract.
- July 1: Signed Yann Danis to a 1-year, 2-way contract.
- July 5: Signed Jeff Petry to a 2-year, $3.5M contract.
- July 5: Signed Devan Dubnyk to a 2-year, $7M contract.
- July 16: Signed Theo Peckham to a 1-year, $1.075M contract.
- July 20: Signed Sam Gagner to a 1-year, $3.2M contract.
- August 22: Signed Taylor Hall to a 7-year, $42M contract.
- August 30: Signed Jordan Eberle to a 6-year, $36M contract.
Since then, the club acquired Mark Fistric and claimed Niko Hovinen off waivers. They’ve also passed Darcy Hordichuk through waivers, and these are all small moves designed to improve the Oilers and Barons quality and depth. Reasonable moves. The waiver wire has been a goldmine for the NY Islanders, why can’t the Oilers find a player or two there?
I know Steve Tambellini is an easy target, but if you take the summer decisions and combine them with the more recent news, you get:
- Hired a strong mind in MacT to oversee/advise Tambellini’s work and perhaps disarm some of Lowe’s emotional bent.
- Drafted the right guy 1st overall.
- Won the Justin Schultz sweepstakes
- Hired a coach who seems to have the chops.
- Committed to Devan Dubnyk as the #1 goalie with a strong contract.
- Got Ryan Smyth’s name on a very reasonable deal.
- Signed Petry to a ridiculous contract.
- Set the outer marker for the gifted kids on long term deals with the Taylor Hall contract.
- Added some depth with the Fistric deal.
- Gave themselves another goaltending option for no money down in Tovinen.
There are ALWAYS going to be things that we as fans bitch and moan about, that’s the nature of the beast. The fact remains that a summer that saw Yakupov and Schultz arrive has to be ranked with the best in memory.
And, like it or not, Steve Tambellini was a part of it. We can discuss how much impact he had on those things, and honestly the channel changer fiasco does not build confidence, but I have a hard time giving Tambellini no credit at all.
It seems unfair and untrue. Thoughts?