KINGS AT OILERS G15 (12-13). 19.2.13

It’s becoming fun to be an Oilers fan again. For instance, I have a crazy busy day but it doesn’t matter. Why? Oilers play tonight! Anything could happen! Saturday night’s game was an instant classic and I expect we’ll see a few more this winter.

I used to work the 5 to 8pm shift at CKGY in Red Deer, this is back in the period where the station was downtown. I lived two minutes away but the ITV games mid-week started at 7:30pm. I’d race home to catch the end of period one, and (this was eary 1980s) it was rare to see a 0-0 game after one. The Oilers were high event both ways and since I didn’t worry about Corsi or zone entries or PDO it was all good, clean fun.

I think we can (I can) get so caught up in the minutiae of the game it is sometimes easy to miss the pure joy of watching free flowing hockey. This blog helps, the in-game conversation is rarely heavy (do people still use that word? It was a staple in the 1970′s. You’d say something mildly intelligent and some knob would drawl “heavvvvveeeeee” and everyone would laugh and miss your point. What a stupid decade) and usually insightful. Hope we get some fun goals and a win tonight and hope you join me in the GDT.

The storyline tonight will be (partly) built around Teemu Hartikainen’s ability to play. Based on what we heard yesterday, it sounds like he’ll be good to go and will line up with Gagner and Hemsky. If he can’t go, Magnus Paajarvi would apparently move up the depth chart, meaning he went from hot dog eating healthy scratch at 7pm Saturday to hero later that night and then among the top 6F’s by Tuesday. A Star Is Born?

Theo Peckham’s conditioning stint is over, he’s on his way back to Edmonton.

yakupov23

Terry Jones has an article up reminding us of Canada’s official hockey ambassador Don Cherry and his measured, thoughtful comments about Nail Yakupov’s celebration after scoring a very late goal to send things to overtime last time LAK were in town.

• Cherry: “You don’t do stuff like that. L.A. is going to remember this. They are going to remember this to the dying day. Don’t act like that, kids. You’ll get in trouble every time.”

DYING DAY! If only Nail had been born in Kingston. Silly Nail.

In actual news, the Oilers got a big win Saturday and would do themselves an enormous favor with a regulation win tonight.

• Krueger: “As much as we’ve never gone two games without some sort of points, we need, badly, somewhere here, to put games together. We have to be in a stronger position for the (nine game) road trip. That’s the pressure we’re putting on ourselves right now — to string some together. It’s a necessity that has to happen.”

Oilers host LAK tonight, Minnesota Thursday and then Phoenix on Saturday. The following week they are on the road to Chicago, Dallas, St. Louis and Minnesota. That’s 7 games, and based on the season results so far Edmonton might expect to gather 7 or 8 points. They’ve been pretty solid on the road, and have been surprisingly strong against Chicago recently (certainly last year). The other teams are ‘in the range’ with the Oilers in the standings (well, St. Louis is ahead by 4 points) so a .500 record (say 3-3-1) seems plausible over the next two weeks. I understand Ralph Krueger creating a scenario where there’s pressure on during the homestand but I don’t really see how it’s a fact.

They’re doing fine. Avoid a long losing streak and you’re good to go. Hang around until the deadline and then address needs.

gagner

We’re getting into the season now (pretty much one third of the way, folks!) and the 5×5/60 numbers are beginning to add up, last year’s numbers in brackets.

1. Taylor Hall 2.32 (2.07) up arrow
  2. Sam Gagner 2.00 (1.96) up arrow
  3. Nail Yakupov 1.54
  4. Jordan Eberle 1.43 (3.08) down arrow
  5. Ales Hemsky 1.43 (1.57) down arrow
  6. Ryan Smyth 1.42 (1.93) down arrow
  7. Ryan Nugent Hopkins 1.24 (1.98) down arrow
  8. Magnus Paajarvi 0.61 (0.75) down arrow
  9. Eric Belanger 0.58 (0.64) down arrow
  10. Lennart Petrell 0.57 (0.83) down arrow

That’s what we might expect, right? Lots of numbers close to last year, Eberle’s down but we were suspicious based on his own past. Fair? I think so. The kid has a nice number based on minutes and how he’s looked at evens (all over the place)–once he settles down this team is going to win some games they shouldn’t win.

I was prepared to trumpet the Oilers PDO number as a sign of great things to come, but the Kings haven’t squeezed out a drop since they left Shawshank. It the battle of thirst, LA wins and one hopes they don’t find deliverance before tonight at midnight (“Watch ye therefore, for ye know not when the master of the house cometh”).

eager

Ralph Krueger is saying nice things about Ben Eager. Joanne Ireland has the story in the EJ.

• Krueger: “In the Western Conference, the kind of toughness we need is the kind (Eager) is bringing us. We need players who will go through you every single time you have the puck. That’s what we’re really demanding of him and I’m pleased with the way he’s come off the injury to give us that. That’s a lot of weight coming at you at a very high speed.”

Eager has lots of hockey issues (pass/take a pass, giveaways–he gave away the puck three times in short order the other night but nhl.com says he doesn’t have any) but the coach says nice things. You know what else he does? Plays him. 7.5 minutes a night in the games he’s played in (concussion problems have kept him from playing more). I think coach Krueger has made progress with the ‘great Oilers roster myth’–the 2 minutes a night player is no longer on the roster–and I do think a team needs toughness and attitude in the lineup. Just make sure they can play the game.

I guess I just thought Eager was a better player. The article linked from Ireland also talks about a free agent signing that took a year to pay off (Belanger). Good read.

338 Responses to "KINGS AT OILERS G15 (12-13). 19.2.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. Smarmy says:

In that Jones article. Does Nail fear retribution?

“Of course not they’re not 12 years old.” – Nail Yakupov

Too bad you couldn’t say the same of some media types. Nail is great. I might turn in my Oiler card if they ever run him out of town.

2. gangplank says:

I dont think we win tonight. At least not in regulation. Kings have had worse luck than is this season and their breakout game seems to be around the corner. I was hoping it would be the blackhawks as the hawks have been quite lucky during their own streak.

Kings are a very good team and essentially the same won that won Lord Stanley. I honestly dont care much for this one as much as I want oilers to destroy Minessoeta so that BR Reynolds shuts the hell up about Hall.

3. gangplank says:

“I feel good with everything. I’m trying to play my game and work hard and show character. I know it’s going to be hard. This is the best league in the world. Wherever my coach wants me to play, I’m happy”

Them selfish Russians

4. russ99 says:

Getting real close to roster crunch day – Peckham is back from his rehab assignment, and Jones is close to returning. Somebody is gonna be traded or hit waivers real soon. I can’t see ST sending Paajarvi and Hartikainen down just to avoid making a move.

5. Bar_Qu says:

gangplank:

This.

It is hard to not like LA, but it is even harder not to hate Minny. Their free agent hypocrisy of the last 8 months putting the bow on it (“play here for a 35 yr contract!” “we can’t afford to play a full season b/c of the ridiculous contracts!”).

I hope its another great game tonight. Really think it could be.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

A song for our friends the Kings:

Well, I’ve got the runnin’ blues
    Runnin’ away, back to L.A.
    Got to find the dock and the bay
    Maybe find it back in L.A.

Runnin’ scared
    Runnin’ blue
    Goin’ so fast
    What’ll I do

7. GFoil says:

Bar_Qu,

I agree on both counts. Very tough to be anti-LA, but its very, very easy to hate on the Wild. The team has always bugged me a little, and I had the misfortune to be living there when the signings were announced. Instant cup contenders and the fans acted like it was a foregone conclusion. Media, too, for that matter.

I can’t muster the same level of hate for the Flames anymore, and even the Canucks don’t get my blood up like the Wild.

8. Halfwise says:

When the numbers crunch comes with Jones’ return, put Whitney on IR for a week and test the hell out of his ankle, foot and (maybe) brain. Buy some time rather than sending someone away unnecessarily.

I love it when two teams look like they are about to break loose. Could be another 6-4 game tonight.

Sobering thought…this game marks the end of the most practice time the Oilers will have this short season. Whatever coaching / systems work needs to get done, the window that opened last week after the Dallas game closes tonight.

Wiki Trivia: A Krueger is a tavern-keeper (Low German) or a potter (High German). The Krueger family crest has some nice jugs.

Must be time for some more SJ pix, LT.

9. bookje says:

Smarmy:
    In that Jones article. Does Nail fear retribution?

“Of course not they’re not 12 years old.” – Nail Yakupov

And with that Nail Yakupov just noted that he is more in tune with hockey in 2013 than Don Cherry.

10. bookje says:

In an article by Joanne Ireland at the Journal , Belanger gives some indication as to why he is playing better. Its mostly because RK actually plays him as opposed to running the team with two lines and leaving the 3rd and 4th sitting on the bench. I like these kinds of articles because you can often read into players opinions about what they think was done poorly by previous coaches.

Anyway, I think the notion of rolling out your top guys more than 18-20 minutes a night is a bad strategy. When it happens, you see those guys trying to conserve a lot more energy while out there. This slows their game down and makes them less effective. So, I am glad to see RK rolling lines a bit more than had been done in the past.

11. Clay says:

russ99:

Are you being sarcastic? Mr. Dithers would send his own grandma to OKC if it meant he didn’t have to decide between her cabbage rolls or perogies. You know, as long as she wasn’t waiver eligible. I’m only slightly kidding.

There’s at least 26 teams who still have designs on making the playoffs, so there’s plenty of buyers looking for “that piece” to push them over the edge. Meaning unless Tambo is looking for draft picks back for Whitney or Jones or whomever, than there just won’t be any real movement until the deadline. If there is, it’ll be a big overpay.

Meaning, despite their improved play, the poor guys that can be sent down without waivers are in real trouble.

12. FPB94 says:

Send Peckham down, he’s not really good anyway.

At worst you risk losing a guy who’s worth a 7th pick.

13. RMGS says:

It’s petty perhaps, but I was hoping that Oilers fans at Rexall would have done something to show Cherry that he can’t call the team’s latest future star an “idiot” on a national broadcast for what amounts to genuine youthful exuberance. That folks instead gave him and the insufferable Ron McLean a standing ovation made me lose just a bit more hope in the vox populi.

Prediction: Yakupov will score off the one-timer on the PP. Here’s to the day that this prediction becomes an expectation!

14. Bar_Qu says:

FPB94,

I would bet Peckham gets you a 3rd. Big, hits, fights. GMs love those guys. At least a 3rd.

15. G Money says:

gangplank,

“Kings are a very good team and essentially the same won that won Lord Stanley.”

I don’t actually agree with this. While on paper they are the same team, two things happened on their run to Stanley:
    - Carter joined and their GPG jumped by 1.0. I do not think thats a sustainable jump. It was inevitable that they should fall back. Not as much as they have, but I don’t think they will jump back to the level they were at during the Stanley run either.
    - Their entire top 6 D were healthy for the entire Stanley run. It is often the case that the team that raises the Cup is the one that loses the fewest important players to injury. Carolina was a good example when they beat the Oilers – every team they played lost key players to injury (especially Buffalo, who were absolutely destroyed), while Carolina not only stayed relatively healthy, but actually got an important player back (Cole).

The process of winning a Stanley Cup is the most grueling of all pro sports, and there is a certain element of “bottling lightning” when it comes to Stanley Cup winners. That’s why it’s so hard to repeat.

This game is a good measuring stick – games against the defending Cup champions always are. But I don’t attribute any mystical awesomeness to the Kings.

16. Captain Obvious says:

Bar_Qu:
    FPB94,

GM’s are stupid but they aren’t that stupid. Peckham is waiver bait and everyone knows it. You coudn’t get a seventh round pick for him.

17. ashley says:

Ah, G Money beat me to it.

The Kings are still a bubble team as they were last year. They rode some good fortune to the championship last year, but I doubt they come close to repeating. They may not make the second season as I suggested in the preseason thread (I think I just tore my rotator cuff patting myself on the back…prematurely no less). :)

Other than LA at the top of many predictions in that thread, another interesting point is the number of people who thought MIN would be at or near the top of the WC, tho’ it was controversial. I think this is a good example of recency bias in addition to the overweight given to “that key addition they needed to go to the next level”.

It’s still a team sport, and other than a hot goaltender, it is pretty rare for one or two new guys to make as big a difference as all of us fans expect them to. That ‘s why tinkering at the deadline is most useful for teams that are close to their peak with a closing window. Tinkering at the deadline with a bubble playoff team won’t have the desired effect most of the time. 2006 Oilers was an exception, and the addition of a very good goalie was most of the difference.

LA doesn’t make it past either of VAN or STL this year, if they make the playoffs. If I was Woodguy, I would bet something on that.

18. denny33 says:

Kelly Hrudey – lit up Ryan Whitney for his terrible play on Saturday night.

Worse, he pointed out Whitney showed no concern for being caught in the offensive end while a fire was raging back towards his own goal. His lack ob mobility and inability to play defence at the NHL level is one thing. The complete lack of urgency to get back to his own end is frightening.for his coach and teammates.

Bruce McCurdy even gave Whitney a 3 out of 10. And that was being generous.

I beat this dead horse once again because I have no idea what the Edmonton OIlers are going to do with Ryan Whitney. As a national audience witnessed, he is painful to watch play hockey.

If ST can get a bag of pucks for him, I will have a new level of respect for him….With Peckham coming back – Ryan Whitney should really not see the ice again with the Oilers.

Maybe a terrible Power Play team like Boston can use Whitney on the point?

Captain Obvious: GM’s are stupid but they aren’t that stupid.Peckham is waiver bait and everyone knows it.You coudn’t get a seventh round pick for him.

With the massive premium on Dmen right now, if Peckham goes on waivers I bet there is 5+ claims on him.

He has 156 NHL games.

Hell, Chorney got picked off last year and the market wasn’t near as tight as it is now.

20. In the Grease says:

Kreuger has already said they will carry 11 F and 8 D – seems highly likely Peckham gets some games, especially since he received positive reviews from Nelson. I think Paajarvi draws the short straw in the numbers game once again, and is sent down when Jones returns. I just don’t see a trade at this time – there’s no way Tambellini can squeeze out the most value until more evidence has been established with the returning players, and the teams that are loading up for a run become more apparent.

Lines:

Hall – Nuge – Ebs
    Harti – Gagner – Hemsky
    Smyth – Belanger – Yakupov
    Eager – VV – Jones / Petrell

Sucks for Paajarvi, but would seem the obvious course of action at this point. If Petrell goes on IR with a concussion, obviously he stays up for a while longer.

gangplank:

I agree with most of what Gmoney wrote in that they are a different team now.

They are still very good, but if you look at their PDO, its low because of shitty goaltending, not just a low SH%.

Their SH% is low at 6.5% (Oilers are 5.4%), but their 5v5 SV% is .895

You can expect SH% to regress to the mean, but bad goaltending can stick for a long time.

Quick is posting a .895 this year.

Last year he was .929 (.946 in the playoffs)

The two years previous he was .918 and .907

Is Quick really a .929 goalie? Probably not.

He also had back surgery this past summer. Is he fully healed? Will it hurt him all year? Next year?

Bernier has started 2 games (appeared in 3) and has a .893

I don’t think that LAK’s SV% will remain this low, but its not slam dunk to regress in a hurry.

LAK are also missing Mitchell, a first pairing DMan, Greene a 3rd pairing guy and Martinez who was getting the 4th most EVTOI among their D.

This game is very winnable for both sides.

If the Oilers play like the did against DAL and COL, they have a very good chance.

I bet on the Oilers tonight, even though they were a dog.

I also bet on the over (5.0).

Hope that doesn’t jinx them.

Go Oilers!!

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

denny33: Kelly Hrudey – lit up Ryan Whitney for his terrible play on Saturday night.

He was actually far to generous to 6. He credited him with an assist on the RNH goal in the replay that actually belonged to 45.

23. prairieschooner says:

I think we should an over /under on whether Tambi makes a positive move or a negative move
    Which perhaps begs the questions
    Will the team be better with Peckam in the line up?
    Will the team be better with Jones in the line up?

24. DeadmanWaking says:

A while back I made some comments about the literary critic James Wood, and his observations about such things as where the story leaves off and the author begins, and the fine art of overwriting one’s characters, while keeping them (at least somewhat) true to form. I instantly had an urge to probe the boundaries. I also had a perverse whim to go Opposite George on my usual habit of riffing entirely in the moment, by perhaps tackling something I couldn’t properly shape in a single pat. Editing is like performing cosmetic surgery under general anesthetic. There’s a clear and present danger that by the time you have the nose patiently and perfectly formed, the eyes ossify and the cheeks go blue; nasty, terrible business best left to the connoisseurs of embalming fluid. In any case, I did rummage under my keyboard where I stow the steam-punk sex toys and hauled out the old rubber mask. Unfortunately, I butchered the midsection so badly I had to whistle for Alpo. In my premeditative haze I was trying to pull this off by Valentine’s Day, and just couldn’t get it done. Today seems like a fine day to share some severed seconds, so here goes. Bear in mind this was entirely an exercise in putting subtlety on a very long string. The point here was to abuse the string to the limits that language permits.

[Writer's aside: Did anyone else notice the powerful cliché magnet studding the mid-beat of "his observations"? His--insert thesaurus here--observations. My, the force is strong in this one. Resist the insurjection: a thick thesaurus makes a lousy speculum. "Speculum" is Latin for "mirror" in case anyone missed it or I'm being insufficiently blunt or my unsubtle device to bleed Dead Ringers into the gas line has yet to take effect.]

Take a deep breath. Here goes.

Never Embarrass You Dog

Welcome to Qupid’s Qornice featuring the Bos Hayam of Burrburr—Don al Dino “Drapes” Q’Airy—and his testy hidekick Ronpunscaleskin, tonight on Al Argeezas.

Arab-haboob-ba-ba Arab-ha-BA.

Loud, brassy, and familiar theme music plays over montage of grandiose gestures and garish costumes, before coming to rest on a special Valentine’s Day theme costume: definitely not the usual Drapes today—he’s waaay green—we’re still waiting for a good look while our pupils adjust.

Arab huba huba rubadubbub baa baa.

Drape’s upper torso and head finally come into close-up. There’s a strikingly foreign Robin Hood influence. His usual square-shouldered white throbe has been exchanged for a set of burly yet intricately fashioned leather pauldrons dyed a dark Islamic green, looking vaguely Cooper made. This over top of a stiff and high-collared, lace-up leather jerkin thatched with interlocking leather scales, each in the shape of fig leaf and intricately engraved with abstract candelabras in abstract multiples; the burly torso and the dark green colour combining to give the overall impression of Jack’s sturdy beanstalk lopped off at shoulder height, then carved and shaked to make a small tool hut or an upright stockade, yet with a flatteringly sharp V-silhouette, hokey pauldrons forming supple gargoyle eaves, from between which a fat, familiar head protrudes.

Ba baba baba.

Roofing this punitive structure is a cap of woodland profile fashioned from a ruffled plumage of dark green parrot feathers—not a feather cap, but an entire cap made of feathers—nothing but feathers—whose soft flutter agreeably amplifies each charismatic torque of outstretched arms. On the brow, red feathers supplant green feathers knitting in dyed parrot fluff the occasion’s iconic figure of a plump and topsy bilobular heart.

Beneath a keffiyeh knotted and spun into a loose brocade (discretely tucked under his nattily groomed beard) hangs a large chrome pendant, with four heart-shaped finger holes cookie-cuttered as negative images into a mushroom cap of flattened steel surmounting a rounded palm pommel, with two tiny brazed eyelets affixing a modest neck-chain (by the standards of King Henry) onto the brunt facet. With the close-up receding we make out additional red hearts in positive image: another five bold hearts line each pleated Colonial sleeve, making altogether—brow heart included—a Red Queen’s knavish nemesis; the combined effect is, indeed, somewhat card like. Through the brow heart is pierced a silver arrow slender enough to have escaped the eye from a distance, yet all the same stout enough to have once served as a dancing hippo’s tutu-pin.

Arab-haboob-ba-ba Arab-ha-BA.
    Arab-aBOOB-ba-ba Arab-ha-BA.
    ARAB HABOOB B’B’ BAA.

On the desk, as a prop—which Q’Airy brandishes theatrically for a few moments during the intro—is a silver quiver with three decorative silver arrows, cast in antique silver looted—not for the last time—from the hot-blooded Spanish Americas.

(To be continued after a five minute markup massage.)

25. DeadmanWaking says:

Just as the theme music ends, Don sets aside his props; the segment commencing almost mid-sentence.

Donaldino: Was that game in slow motion? Did we have it in slow motion or what? Oh, can’t criticize. Alright … can’t say anything about that.

[Here RonpunSS listens attentively with placid Confucian Knowing Look that signals to the astute viewer that nothing important has just been said, and you've still got time to chow down one last nacho.]

RonpunSS: So then, we’re short on time tonight. Let’s get right to it. You’re still simmering on the Yak Huzzahk kneeling button draw with the stone cajones in the third end … of just his third ever NHL game.

Donaldino: Oh, are we back to that?

RonpunSS: You told me … I thought you said … back in January … you were saving up a special Valentine’s harrow.

Donaldino: Well then—okay you’re right—I remember now. [Clip begins to roll.] So, let me say this. Let me say this—as if I didn’t already say this the first time around. Shame on you, kid. Shame on you. By calling attention to himself—look, there it is, right at the end there—can you believe it?—look at that, dipping-boy, he’s kissing his ride—you see it there, can you believe it?—just look at that. Now let me say this—by calling attention—WITH THAT ANTIC—he’s embarrassed himself, his team, his league, his sport, his family, his career, his MANHOOD, his country, his FLAG, and … and … his DOG. Never—and I say never—embarrass your dog.

[RonpunSS cops a nonplussed, crypto-farcical side-glance]

RonpunSS: Tatami salaami swoons the sweethearts and swells the swank?

Donaldino: Are you telling me—do you think you’re telling me?—you’re telling me this cheeky pup is being mobbed by young women—by young women out there—good Burrburrian girls—youthful women—youthful … adult women out there—these young adult women who don’t know—you’re telling me—you’re implying swarms of callow women in high shockings … high stockings—that these extremely mature—mature but callow … we know they’re not sexpots, that’s not what I’m saying, they’re good Burrburrian girls … BUT who don’t know about this kind of thing—about exuberance unholstered—about what can happen—what sordid things night … might stam from this unsteamly … what might perspire—no, that’s not what I’m trying to say—what might transpire from this pinko pup’s elfish swan-glide?

[Ronpun's bumble-proof raptness remains transfixed while his wispy mutton-thickets give lie to the barometric barrage like a shifty bracken. As the buffet abates, he slyly springs his second swalvo.]

RonpunSS: Sweatily sworn to sheath his sword and dagger his swagger?

Evidently challenged—whatever the hell Ronpun just said—Don Al Dino assumes a ten-point prairie-dog (wide-stance)—this briefly jounces his interlocking figlets; Donaldino gives them a moment to settle while snooking a brief “oh, whatever” in the direction of Ronpalmpompariah—then extra-fully inflates his thatched jerkin and rises to homily.

Donaldino: Young women out there, let me tell you, you think he looks good—you think he’s sharp—you think he’s sharp showing up all the Other Guys on the ice like that, but Let Me Tell You, when he takes you out, when he arrives in his black tuxedo and hands you a dozen red roses … and truffles fresh from Paris—when he orders Champagne, when he orders the best caviar, when he summons the Mariachi band—and all that Frenchie stuff—when he lights up that smile and dims the world—the whole world—everything but you and him there—just you and him, you a good Burrburrian girl with one of them—and you’re there and you’re blinded—blinded by the checkered tablecloth—blinded by the selfish spotlight of zest and charisma that we don’t have in this country—and there’s not anyone else in his mind—I mean not anyone other than you—not a teammate, not his coach, not even a round of drinks for the house—then you’ll realize, then you will know, that this brazen young man has no respect—no respect—for his fellow men, his fellow pizzapatrons, fine and upstanding and Honourable Men Of Service—men who will not perform—you know I hate to say this, I really do—not perform worth a piffle ever again—hey, a long time, you know I mean a long time—and these fallen Dominoes, these WILTED men of service who proudly serve—these men they WON’T FORGET—and you’ll be marked for life by these uncultured, raw emotions, you’ll carry those scars, and you’ll rue that Wriggling Tartar, and you will know this is not how we get it down in this good country. Let me tell you, young women out there, it makes me puke—you’ve heard me say that word before, but this time I’ve got it right, it’s me this time not them—yes it makes me puke to see you good Burrburrian girls falling for all that showboaty stuff—and yes, I’ll say it—with one of those.

RonpunSS: OK. My my my, we’re low on time. There you have it, folks, sorely upholstered spites sordid unholstered and a rued ordeal … tonight on Qoochies Qarnal.

Unfortunately, that last snarky remark from Ronpun was a string too long and I couldn’t save it, even though there’s some good bits off camera at the end. Did I mention that editing sucks?

26. DeadmanWaking says:

MISSING ALPO BITS DISCARDED

Donaldino: Ugh, you’re freaking me out, you know that, you’re freaking me out. Anyway, I get it already. Making me puke. The Crying Game. Sling schlong. Cheech Chong. You’re pissed at me for using that word again—only you’ve given up saying it straight to my face—so we’re just going to pass the 4:20 and let it blow over. [Suddenly realizes he hasn't actually checked the “on air” light.] Hey, are we off the air? We’re off the air, right?

RonpunSS: [Pirate voice] Arrr. Attirely—for the moment. [Ronpun finally relaxes and drops out of performance.] You have been off the air since the moment you girded your wattles.

Donaldino: [Eye roll] You know, you’re getting weirder, if that’s still possible. So then … help me loosen my new Zorg, would ya? These old tonsils are goosing my man-apple.

Ronpun loosens jacket, rummages inside pocket, then helps Q’Airy unclasp the custom-hinged $3 stainless-steel wok stand and extract it out from under Q’Airy’s stovepipe tunic vent.

RonpunSS: How the hell do you get that thing in there? Yeah, still on the air so to speak … no pink slip from the nyetwork yet.

Donaldino: Pinkos, yeah. [Drags hard on the Dubious Maximus] I tried pink—you remember. I looked OK. Carnation pink jacket, with hints of hummingbird magenta, and black-satin pants, the finest. I looked good. But not in my size they never have a slip, you know, not a slip in my size—any shade of pink, not even salmon.

[Ron lost Don's sartorial digression back at “hummingbird” after taking three sharp nips—he's half baked already.]

RonpunSS: [Begins to intone accusingly from a font of deep wisdom.] Daawgs are colourblind. [Another nip.] You know that right? Even man’s best friend—like, if Blue had known, if Blue had only known—some days she would have skittled under the bed and buried her sorry face beneath her sorry paws.

Donaldino: [Another hard drag on the Dubious Maximus, remaining as lucid as ever] That’s not why I called her “Blue”. You’ve got her wrong. Blue was cool. The original Blue. So was the energetic Blue I had later. One time—did I ever tell you this?—he humped that oversized velvet lime—you know, the big Shamrock hat—so big he could barely mount it—just giving it to old St Patrick like nobody’s business. Dogs don’t judge a man by his closet … or his views. None of them, not one. A dog’s not like that. The canine code. They get that. Defend your own. Don’t showboat. Don’t call other dogs out. Be one with the pack. Bay together. That’s the canine code … that’s all I ask. [Pauses for a long, slow Camel drag, now finally beginning to kick in.] Yeah, that’s all I ask. Bray together.

27. RMGS says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers

#Oilers morning skate forward lines: 4-93-14, 56-89-83, 94-20-64, 55-54-91 (37, 28 absent)

Keeping with recent trend, #Oilers defencemen rotating through pairings; Peckham not with team yet after today’s OKC recall

Morning skate power-play units: Whitney-Gagner-Eberle-Smyth-Yakupov and Hartikainen-RNH-Hall-JSchultz-Hemsky

Khabibulin with the start.

28. Ribs says:

Oilers bits from Friedmans’ 30 Thoughts….

15. I’ve got to think Ryan Whitney isn’t much longer for the Edmonton Oilers. Whitney can still pass it and start the transition from defence to offence, but foot injuries have affected his mobility. In a more structured system, teams can cover for that. Suffice to say, the Oilers are still learning team defence, so Whitney doesn’t get as much help. I thought Detroit might be a good fit. But it doesn’t sound like the Red Wings want to go in that direction.

16. The bigger question for Edmonton will be what to do with forward Ryan Smyth. He’s under contract for one more year on an over-35 deal, which can’t come off the salary cap. Maybe last week was just a bad blip. But if it’s a sign of things to come, do the Oilers and Smyth want to go down an uncomfortable road for a second time?Link

29. bookje says:

RMGS,

Khabibulin with the start is an interesting decision. I would think you would want your #1 in there right away to let him know that you are confident in him.

Interesting…

30. Reg Dunlop says:

The Kings in the 1st of a back-to-back tonight, they will be tough. Again the Flames pick up a break by facing a tired Kings squad tomorrow but they will still lose because they suck and swallow. Tonight the oil lose in a shoot-out.

Thanks for Little Feat. The 70′s were a great decade. Lowell George is jammin with Jerry Garcia and Jesus is sitting in on bass.

31. BlacqueJacque says:

So it looks like

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
    MPS-Gagner-Hemmer
    Smyth-Belanger-Yak
    Eager-VV-Teemu

Yak didn’t look that great on the third line last time.

I think MPS on the second line is either a test to see who’s most responsible for causing the leaks there, or an attempt to shore up that line’s chances while rewarding Magnus for his contributions.

Putting Yak on his natural wing is great. If only Smytty and Belanger were thinking the game as fast as the hyper russian.

32. RMGS says:

bookje,

I’m not a fan of the move; it’s asking for trouble. If the team wins tonight and Krueger seriously contemplates playing the 40-year old with the delicate groin again Thursday, then I’m worried.

33. Henry says:

Ribs:
    Oilers bits from Friedmans’ 30 Thoughts….

Does Whitney not have a NTC?

34. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

bookje,
    RMGS,

If Dubey is who we think he is he doesn’t need his tires pumped. Watching #2 if he catches a winning streak is part of settling into being the #1. The #2 knows we won’t play after a loss. A confident #1 knows he’ll play after most losses.

35. SK Oiler Fan says:

“he gave away the puck three times in short order the other night but nhl.com says he doesn’t have any”
    The giveaway stat to my eye has always been out to lunch, but it seemsthis year all of the secondary stats are not jiving with what’s actually happening. Even SOG and FO seem to be off
    Would be interesting to see the NHL defenition of each secondary stat.

36. RMGS says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴:
    bookje,
    RMGS,

The Oilers’ #2 is Nikolai Khabibulin. Khabibulin, Nikolai. He conjures up starting the game -2, not winning streaks.

37. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

SK Oiler Fan,

I wonder if there is more variation in players or in the statkeepers. After the next road trip they’re be a decent sample size of road games to compare to.

38. khildahl says:

RMGS:
    It’s petty perhaps, but I was hoping that Oilers fans at Rexall would have done something to show Cherry that he can’t call the team’s latest future star an “idiot” on a national broadcast for what amounts to genuine youthful exuberance.That folks instead gave him and the insufferable Ron McLean a standing ovation made me lose just a bit more hope in the vox populi.

Prediction: Yakupov will score off the one-timer on the PP.Here’s to the day that this prediction becomes an expectation!

The cheering and applause are directly attributable to the Rexall PA guy informing the entire building we were about to be on TV as part of the HNIC 60th anniversary bit and had nothing (I’d like to think, anyway) to do with that obtuse dinosaur.

While it would have been awesome to hear 16,000 people boo him, it wouldn’t result in the narrative we’d like.

39. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

RMGS,

Pretty long odds that Khabby will start the road trip in the United Centre. Neither real or hypothetical winning streaks should cause concern.

40. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

scrubbed duplicate

41. Ribs says:

Henry: Does Whitney not have a NTC?

I don’t know if it applies any more with him being traded once already, but I think he’d likely take the first flight out of town if it came down to it.

And hey! Peckham called up on Whitney’s birthday! Hide the cake!

42. G Money says:

bookje,
    RMGS,

Khabi starting … I *hate* this decision.

I should point out that I am not a Nik-hater – I actually think the idea of having him as a backup for 10 games or so this season is a good one. He’s amply demonstrated that he can give you 10 or so elite calibre games before the wear and tear gets to him.

But this idea of ‘riding the hot hand’ is what got the team into trouble last year. Khabi started briliiantly and they rode him until he collapsed in a quivering heap. Then they turned to a stone-cold Dubey who had to run a few games into the toilet before finding the range. That combo of poor decisions was in no small part a key reason for the sewered season.

For this season, I expect 38 starts for Dubey and 10 for Khabi. That means of the remaining 35ish games, Dubey should be getting 27 or so and Khabi 8 or so. If this is part of that plan, then OK, but otherwise I fear it is setting us up for a replay of 2011/12.

43. Captain Obvious says:

Woodguy,

Is Peckham better, or more highly regarded, than Ellerby? I find that hard to imagine.

44. delooper says:

G Money,

It might not be “riding the hot hand”. It might be “show other GMs what assets we have before trading several assets for one”.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

reL nik… could also be the old “this is the game we planned on Nik playing all along and we’re sticking to our schedule”

at any rate, I imagine he’ll be asked and I expect a fairly forthcoming response.

46. franksterra says:

I think delooper and RA likely have it right here

47. wheatnoil says:

I would have preferred to start Dubnyk as he’s done well with bounce-back games so far in this short season. Then again, starting the back-up on the 3rd game of a 5 game homestand does seem pretty reasonable. I don’t think we have to send up the alarms about this. It’s one start, and only the second game that Dubnyk hasn’t started this year. As wary as I am of Khabibulin, Dubnyk can’t start 48 games and he’s already started 13 of 14.

As for predictions of the game… this year more than ever I think this team defies predictions. Every once in awhile things click together and they completely take over a game. The last two games have been good, but previous to that they’ve only clicked for bits and pieces of games. I have no idea what to expect from this team period to period, let alone game to game. Which, is actually kind of fun.

Finally… Yakupov. Damn I love that kid! Apparently, in Soviet Russia, hockey is FUN to play!

Captain Obvious:
    Woodguy,

Is Peckham better, or more highly regarded, than Ellerby?I find that hard to imagine.

Peckham played top 4 minutes with Gilbert for about half a season. Ellerby has never played top 4 minutes. Peckham is a decent penatly killer. I don’t think Ellerby was doing much penalty killing in Florida.

The pace of games the rest of the way is torrid.

So can we not freak out about Khabibulin making his 2nd start of the season.

Dubnyk has played a lot. A little pause for him before the upcoming storm is fine.

50. RMGS says:

godot10: With the number and frequency of games for the rest of the season, both goaltenders are going to play, and we should want both goaltenders to play.

Except that the Oilers’ #2 is Nikolai Khabibulin. Not freaking out yet (saving that for when he lets in a couple of soft ones).

I hope he gets the shutout against the champs like he used to way back in the 90s.

51. Captain Obvious says:

godot10,

I don’t care what “minutes” he played, Peckham was pretty clearly (by number or by eye) the Oilers worst defenseman (non-Barker division) last year. I don’t think that’s very controversial.

So you have the worst Dman on the second worst team in the league who shows up for training camp out of shape. How does this player have any value?

Captain Obvious:
    Woodguy,

I don’t know why you are asking that question.

Ellerby was traded for a 5th.

Are you saying because Ellerby went for a 5th that Peckham clears waivers?

Нинтендо⁶⁴:
    SK Oiler Fan,

A good example is MIN and hits and I think NYR and shots.

MIN’s counter see way more hits than other counters and NYR counter see way less shots than average.

I think had had those right.

54. eidy says:

every LA player has a postive corsi except ellerby, richardson and an injured green. also every single player playing tonight starts more than 50% of the time in the offensive zone. Their PDO looks as bad as the oilers as well.

I am a little worried about tonight. Hopefully the law of averages for the kings doesn’t wake up until tomorrow.

Captain Obvious:
    godot10,

I don’t care what “minutes” he played, Peckham was pretty clearly (by number or by eye) the Oilers worst defenseman (non-Barker division) last year.I don’t think that’s very controversial.

So you have the worst Dman on the second worst team in the league who shows up for training camp out of shape.How does this player have any value?

Cam Barker has a NHL contract.

*drops mike, walks off stage*

56. speeds says:

Captain Obvious,

Here’s another article on how the NHL has rebounded since the lockout

Not much for numerical information, but perhaps interesting anecdotal evidence?

57. Bar_Qu says:

Captain Obvious:
    Woodguy,

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: For a lot of the “real time” stats like hits, take aways, etc, that most fancystat guys will look at road games only to figure out a player’s true rate because the counters vary so wildly that you need to entirley discount a team’s home games as they pollute the data.

A good example is MIN and hits and I think NYR and shots.

I think had had those right.

IIRC Dallas is notorious for thumbing the scales as well.

Bar_Qu: The Ellerby trade was theft, pure and simple. Poorly regarded by his organisation, picked up by a sharp GM.

Boy…the oilogosphere has turned on another GM recently touted as a genius. Dale Tallon, genius, RIP.

Join the club of previous oilogosphere geniuses like Daryl Sutter, Scott Howson, George McPhee, David Poile.

Hey Stevie…love the hate, because once they start loving you, you will be toast.

60. loosemoose says:

I would think someone like Cherry would get a little more love, but this is a bit of a numbers place…..

Take him for what he is. He’s the uncle that always bugs you when you see him. The one who’s always got a story for you. The same stories, but told a little different each time. You always think he’s full of it, and then he just one times a line so deep, your head almost explodes. For what its worth, he’s been there done that, and we might want to take a lesson from LT and enjoy Cherry before he’s gone. Nobody is replacing that…..

Regarding our size problems, and really,who better to worry about that than a bunch of guys on a hockey blog, I don’t think its as pressing a need as we think. Our bottom six isn’t that small. We need BETTER players. Not BIGGER ones. How we get them though, I’m not sure. I’m getting tired of the wait and draft method, but I also understand trades aren’t that easy to make…..Tambo earns his chops this summer I guess……..

speeds:
    Captain Obvious,

Here’s another article on how the NHL has rebounded since the lockout

Not much for numerical information, but perhaps interesting anecdotal evidence?

Its Captain Happy (aka dee ess eff) who was saying the cap will be low, not Capt. Obv.

Godot,

It was also Captain Happy who’s the big “Tallon is a genius” guy.

Most of us admired the moves he made leading up to CHI’s SCF win, but haven’t been big fans since, starting with blowing up all the RFAs because he couldn’t underdatnd deadlines.

Darryl Sutter used to make a lot of astute moves in CAL, but completely lost his shit starting with the Frenkeneuf trade.

Things change.

62. "Steve Smith" says:

godot10: Boy…the oilogosphere has turned on another GM recently touted as a genius.Dale Tallon, genius, RIP.

I think you’re confusing noted Oilogosphere antagonist D-S-F with “the Oilogosphere”.

63. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“Steve Smith”,

Not worth the effort keeping track of the mad trapper’s current collection of movable goal posts.

64. Bar_Qu says:

godot10,

You must be confusing me with someone who has high regard for Tallon. I don’t.

The thing which likely made Ellerby seem less valuable was the guys ahead of him. I don’t know their D very well, but it looks like he was seventh after Jovanovski, Campbell, Gudbranson, Kuba, Kulikov and Weaver. And when you have a 1st rounder who is playing for 7th D, an organisation tends to view less what a guy is, than what he is supposed to be (hello PRV).

I suspect that is what greased the wheels for his trip out of town as much as anything, regardless of my opinion of Tallon.

65. denny33 says:

godot10,

Great point….and one of the broadcasters pointed out DD has faced the MOST shots in the NHL….giving him a rest at this time makes a lot of sense.

66. denny33 says:

godot10,

Interested to learn an amazing fact from the Columbus Blue Jacket media – Howson never made very many changes to the scouting staff after taking over from Doug Maclean. You read that right – Howson – kept the same staff that drafted Columbus into oblivion….Zheredev, Brule, Filatov, Brassard, Picard…I mean you can go on forever of 1st round follies.

Is David Poile not one of the best GM’s in the NHL? He has stocked Nashville and Philly…

denny33:
    godot10,

David Poile…the king of mediocrity and safe GMing….30 years or so as a GM, zero Stanley Cups.

David Poile is good at keeping his job. Not so good at contending. The GM for a team with the low expectation of perpetual mediocrity.

68. denny33 says:

godot10,

The list of players produced by Poile is very long…..

69. striatic says:

denny33: Not sure we can blame Poile for the fact ownership could not pay Hartnell or Timonen or all the other players Philly tried to steal. Thankfully, they matched for Weber.

seconded.

Poile has never GMed for mediocrity in Nashville.

He simply hasn’t had the funds to do anything else.

Poile is an excellent GM.

70. commonfan14 says:

denny33: As I said with the last CBA – people in Edmonton – might have a better understanding of Nashville’s situation when Hall, RNH, Yak are eligible to become UFA’s…at the age of 26 or 27.

Despite all the July 1st furor every year, it’s a pretty rare thing that an elite player actually goes UFA.

Hockey players are funny that way.

71. striatic says:

loosemoose: And really, even now….a tired, cranky Cherry or Kevin Weekes and PJ Stock? How sad is it Cherry is still miles ahead of the other options?

or worse, Millbury.

72. Smarmy says:

denny33:
    godot10,

The list of players produced by Poile is very long…..

I don’t see the comparison in the sense that Edmonton has been a cap team. Unless, those players don’t want to resign there is no reason they couldn’t keep who they wanted.

73. delooper says:

commonfan14,

It’s not so strange. If they’re a truly elite player, their home hockey team is probably bending over backwards to ensure that player is comfortable where they’re at. And if a player is really happy where they are, unless they have an out-of-control agent they’re not likely to push things too much.

74. striatic says:

delooper: Everyone likes creature comforts. And it’s a creature comfort to not be packing up your family, removing your kids and wife from their friends and relationships.

cities other than Edmonton have their own, unique creature comforts.

this has never been less true than at present though, which is great news for the Oilers.

75. Captain Happy says:

So Tallon sheds one excess defenseman and he’s already an idiot?

If you look a little deeper, you’ll see he has an abundance of young defensemen.

Dimitri Kulkov 22

Erik Gudbranson 21

Colby Robak ( 46th overall – AHL) 22

Alex Petrovic (36th overall) 20

Michael Matheson (1st round Pick) 18

Ellerby was drafted in 2007, the same draft that brought Alex Plante and Riley Nash into the Oilers fold, and has failed to establish himself in the 5 years since.

Since he was drafted before Tallon took over, it’s likely he had no attachment to the player and dumped him to free up a roster spot.

How is Alex Plante doing anyway?

If the Oilers could get a 5th round pick for Plante, would you do it?

76. leadfarmer says:

godot10,

You do realize he has no money to play with causing Nashville to be almost a development team for the major market teams. Kind of how Edmonton used to be until Katz took over. Except they are consistently a pretty good team.

77. speeds says:

denny33:
    godot10,

The list of players produced by Poile is very long…..

I would argue that it’s questionable if they should have matched Weber’s o/s*, but I do agree it’s tough to compare the rebuilding situations between teams that can afford to spend to the cap once they have acquired the talent through the draft they desire, and teams that will more than likely always be within a few million of the salary floor.

* In fact, that is what I argued in July:

denny33:
    godot10,

The list of players produced by Poile is very long…..

A lot of GM jobs in big markets have opened up during David Poile’s 30 years. Why hasn’t he gone to somewhere where he would have the resources. David Poile is comfortable being mediocre in a market with low expectations, and drafting defensemen in the first round. There is no real fire in the belly. GM #takenorisks #keepmyjob #losinginthefirstroundismygoal

79. Bar_Qu says:

Captain Happy,

Captain Happy Missing the point to advance his own argument? Drink!

Discussion: Peckham only worth a waiver gamble or a 7th. Argued he is at least a 3rd, Ellerby got a 5th, but a steal at the price. Counter argued, Tallon an idiot, Uncontested until you arrive. Now current.

80. Captain Happy says:

Bar_Qu:
    Captain Happy,

Captain Happy Missing the point to advance his own argument? Drink!

The point was what, exactly?

I can wait.

(good luck getting a 3rd for Peckham)

Captain Happy:
    So Tallon sheds one excess defenseman and he’s already an idiot?

No he is an idiot because he had no money to sign Garrison and has no money to sign Weiss after giving out a long 35+ retirement contract to Jovanoski, and long contracts to Fleischman, Upshall, etc. etc.

Tambellini only has two contracts going beyond next year that he is responsible for (Eberle and Hall), that aren’t mandatory entry level (i.e. Yakupov). And the only other contract going beyond the end of next season is Horcoff’s which is only one year after that. Maximal cap freedom.

Tallon is already in cap hell…though it may be team cap hell, rather than league cap hell. Florida is going to be vulnerable to offer sheets.

Looks like he has Seth Jones or Nathan MacKinnon in the bag though.

Clay,

Well done.

*slow clap*

The thing about Peckham is that he’s played about 150 games, and that is about where a defenseman starts to see things at speed. Now, it might be 225 for Peckham or 270 or maybe he never gets it, but I think reasoable people can agree that:

1. Peckham would be taken on waivers
    2. That means he has value
    3. We are vague as to the actual value but the fact that the Oilers have employed him as one of their top 7D for the last 2 seasons has to mean something.

My guess is he’s worth a 3rd. I would prefer that they keep him, as I mentioned above we’ve suffered through the bad times so lets keep him.

84. Smarmy says:

Why can’t d.s.f post as himself? If you ban him as that why not ban him under an alias?

85. raventalon40 says:

Bar_Qu:
    FPB94,

Or they spend the next major time between games in a defensive workshop for Peckham and Fistric with Lowe, Smith and MacTavish, then roll them out as the meanest third pairing in the Northwest. Defense by osmosis? haha

86. speeds says:

I understand keeping him if you think he’s a part of your future (I’m not sure that would be my assessment, but if it is I get it) but that development time is a sunk cost LT.

If you keep him, where do you play him?

Smid, Petry, J Schultz, N Schultz, and Fistric would seem to be in the plans for next year, although Smid and Fistric are pending UFA’s so who knows with them? Do you keep Peckham and Fistric? Peckham ahead of Fistric? Are you planning to give his 3rd pairing minutes to Klefbom next year? Do you simply need an upgrade on him, even if that player costs 3.5 mil instead of Peckham’s ~ 1 mil?

87. raventalon40 says:

speeds:

If you keep him, where do you play him?

Smid, Petry, J Schultz, N Schultz, and Fistric would seem to be in the plans for next year, although Smid and Fistric are pending UFA’s so who knows with them?Do you keep Peckham and Fistric?Peckham ahead of Fistric?Are you planning to give his 3rd pairing minutes to Klefbom next year?Do you simply need an upgrade on him, even if that player costs 3.5 mil instead of Peckham’s ~ 1 mil?

In an ideal situation I sign a major puck mover and major stay at home guy in the off season, and send them out for tough assignments and evens and split the special teams. That allows us to play all 3 pairings pretty evenly and make use of Schultz’ last ELC year on the third pairing where he can pretty much man both PP units and help out on the PK if need be.

Smid and Petry are pretty decent shutdown pair. They are our #1 now they would be a great #1b or #2 pair.

UFA1 – UFA2
    Smid-Petry
    Schultz-Schultz

Defensive depth wins championships. I know Schultz Jr is one of our ice time leaders right now but imagine how deadly this team would be with some defensive depth.

Spot signings of the Malholtra / Reasoner type would help as well.

godot10: A lot of GM jobs in big markets have opened up during David Poile’s 30 years. Why hasn’t he gone to somewhere where he would have the resources.David Poile is comfortable being mediocre in a market with low expectations, and drafting defensemen in the first round.There is no real fire in the belly.GM #takenorisks #keepmyjob #losinginthefirstroundismygoal

Its one thing to question a track record.

To assume motivations is onther thing entirely.

speeds:

If you keep him, where do you play him?

For me, I’m not sold on Fistric so far as being clearly better. Maybe that changes as we roll along but I don’t think there’s a need to spend a lot of money on the player. I’d like to see them get Bouwmeester or similar over the summer and look like:

1. Bouw-J Schultz
    2. Smid-Petry
    3. N Schultz-Klefbom/Peckham

I guess I don’t see Fistric or Teubert as being clearly better than Peckham.

90. gogliano says:

Holy Mackeral, we’ve got a lot of subpar defenseman.

. Now, it might be 225 for Peckham or 270

Depends how close to Christmas it is.

92. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Relevant article:

it seems we are lousy with these 6-8 guys (whitney, potter, fistric, peckham… and further down the road Fedun, Teubert, Plante).

all these guys seems fairly replaceable to me and all (excepting maybe plante) could retrieve something in a trade.

I’d look a little higher up the batting order and push these guys out.

gogliano:
    Holy Mackeral, we’ve got a lot of subpar defenseman.

*golf clap*

gogliano:
    Holy Mackeral, we’ve got a lot of subpar defenseman.

Considering the state of Whitney’s ankle, a lot of subpar defensemen is still better than a shortage of marginally competent NHL defensemen.

95. speeds says:

I certainly see the argument for Peckham if you think he’s more or less the equivalent of Fistric but think you can get him for 750k-1mil cheaper.

I guess it depends how much (external) upgrading the Oilers plan on doing with their D. If they think they’ll try to add 1 LD as you’re suggesting (whether it be a trade like Bouw, or a signing like Streit/Visnovsky/Grebeshkov), and otherwise go with what they already have, perhaps they will keep him around:

new D-J.Schultz
    Smid-Petry
    Peckham-N Schultz
    Potter

With Klefbom in the AHL playing big minutes until enough injuries come up for him to be recalled, maybe that is what they do? Could even look at re-signing Fistric or another for an 8th d to add depth, and put some impediments in Klefbom’s way so that he only comes up if serious injuries strike and/or he can step right into a significant role. The idea being that he’s better off playing a half season at least in the AHL adjusting to the rink size, NA game, getting back on the ice post-injury, playing 23-25 minutes with time on both PP and PK vs. playing 15 min in NHL with limited special teams ice, maybe not playing every game, etc?

96. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy:

. Now, it might be 225 for Peckham or 270

Depends how close to Christmas it is.

*golf clap*

97. speeds says:

Anyone who has watched some CHI games this year, how have Kruger and Leddy looked?

“Steve Smith”: *golf clap*

Screw you.

That was a *slow clap* at minimum.

Your clap/60 is way off.

Woodguy: Screw you.

That was a *slow clap* at minimum.

Your clap/60 is way off.

Well, he’s no longer in university

speeds:

Leddy has been really good to my eye, can’t comment on Kruger.

101. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy: Your clap/60 is way off.

That’s what she said!

(She is a doctor specializing in the treatment of venereal diseases.)

speeds,

Its probably a moo point (cow’s opinion doesn’t matter), but you have that luxury right now.

Then you trade one when the price reaches its apex 3 hours before the trade deadline.

Knighttown has always advocated 8 D on the roster.

I think he’s onto something.

Fistric and Peckham on the same roster isn’t the road to winning, but one is ok. Especially when the fan base loves gritty jammy crusty guys who dish out thunderous body checks.

103. Kris11 says:

“Fistric and Peckham on the same roster isn’t the road to winning, but one is ok.”

That’s what she said.

Hahahaha.

104. VanOil says:

Woodguy:
    speeds,

A long forgotten ex-Oilers Coach used to have this skating fitness test when Oilers came back from injury. Maybe RK should use it this year to determine spots 6-8 on the Defensive depth chart. Might need a Sun dial rather than a stop watch to time it but if AV can flip a coin in Vancouver who knows it might work.

105. speeds says:

Woodguy,

Yeah, no problem with that rationale, I have no problem seeing how things play out now with Peckham, or with carrying 8 D for the rest of the year*. I might disagree with the timeline and number of D you look at trading, depending on whether or not I’d be looking to add another D at the deadline and also my thoughts on Clark – if I think I can sign Clark and he can fill in as the 7th d, I’d be willing to look at moving a D earlier, and possibly moving more than one based on return, especially if I’m worried someone else might sign Clark first to an NHL deal.

* Carrying 8 D is something that makes sense to me as well, although with no re-entry waivers we’ll see how teams deal with that change going forward. Does a contending team with deep pockets sign a couple extra D at 900K with the idea that they waive them at the start of the year and recall when injuries hit? If so, that might minimize the desire to carry 8 D.

106. VanOil says:

I am way less stressed/depressed heading into a game this year even if Teddy, Whitney and Kabby were all in the starting roster than I was last year when I saw Cam Barker on the game sheet.

107. In the Grease says:

“Why not keep Peckham around and make a decision on him and Fistric after Peckam’s played a few?

Knighttown has always advocated 8 D on the roster.

I think he’s onto something.

Fistric and Peckham on the same roster isn’t the road to winning, but one is ok.Especially when the fan base loves gritty jammy crusty guys who dish out thunderous body checks.”

Elsewhere, 7 hours ago…..

In the Grease says:
    February 19, 2013 at 10:55 am

“Kreuger has already said they will carry 11 F and 8 D – seems highly likely Peckham gets some games, especially since he received positive reviews from Nelson….. I just don’t see a trade at this time – there’s no way Tambellini can squeeze out the most value until more evidence has been established with the returning players, and the teams that are loading up for a run become more apparent.”

Which is to say, I totally agree Woodguy. :)

Although damn it would be fun if something somehow clicked with both Fistric and Peckham, and they became a two man wrecking crew on the third pair….

Hey Woodguy, I remember something about Krueger saying he’d go with 11F and 8D but don’t remember where.

:-)

Maybe Teddy plays the wing?

109. In the Grease says:

Although, this being the OIlers, all Tambo has to do is wait it out and the vengeful “Meiða”, God of Injuries will make all the difficult roster decisions for him….. (Meiða means “wound” in Old Norse …)

110. In the Grease says:

Maybe Teddy plays the wing?

Well played sir. :)

Are you serious about Ted P on the wing? I always liked the idea of trying him there… maybe he could do some damage there?

“Steve Smith”: That’s what she said!

(She is a doctor specializing in the treatment of venereal diseases.)

I got nothing.

Maybe Teddy plays the wing?

Well MacT is in charge right?

Woodguy: Well MacT is in charge right?

I think the big question is ‘can Schremp get here in time?’

114. VanOil says:

Lowetide: I think the big question is ‘can Schremp get here in time?’

Only if Omark can as well. That would be a great/low event 4th line.

In the Grease,

I would trust Fistric and Peckham to pass gas.

The puck?

Not so much.

116. In the Grease says:

Woodguy,

I’m a dreamer….

117. In the Grease says:

In the same “Weird Science” way I’ve always dreamed about combining 3 mediocre girlfiends with a few good qualities into the ultimate super girlfriend, if we could only combine the best parts of Whitney, Fistric, and Peckham we’d have….. another top 4 D!

118. VanOil says:

Amazing what the yoga pant has done for the marketability of women’s curling.

119. khildahl says:

Lowetide: I think the big question is ‘can Schremp get here in time?’

VanOil: Only if Omark can as well. That would be a great/low event 4th line.

You both somehow misspelled Liam Peterson. Or was it Toby Reddox?

120. khildahl says:

VanOil:
    Amazing what the yoga pant has done for the marketability of women’s curling.

The single greatest article of clothing ever invented.

121. Romulus Apotheosis says:

khildahl: The single greatest article of clothing ever invented.

no, sir. that would be the “hot pant”

122. BlacqueJacque says:

So that blade runner guy, Oscar Pistorious, had boxes and boxes of steroids in his home. When asked about the drugs, he claimed he was “holding onto them for a friend”.

Definitely not the fastest on his feet, is he?

A-bump-bum. Anyone here from France?

124. striatic says:

game on!

125. VanOil says:

Hemsky is a bad bad man

Hemsky. So soft.

127. Rebilled says:

Quick loves getting bumped.

128. BlacqueJacque says:

Sam you can’t get stripped of the puck like that behind your own net …

Hall. So soft.

130. VanOil says:

Hall. So soft.

Are you suggesting we need some Coke Machines in our Top 6?

131. Lucinius says:

Loved the chat between Penner and Hemsky after Hemsky went into the net. Penner was smiling, laughing and Hemsky laughing back.

132. BlacqueJacque says:

Damn Euros. They’re like butter. They don’t want the goals.

133. VanOil says:

If Hemsky keeps on doing this I might burst with pride

134. In the Grease says:

Well there’s Ellerby having trouble with speed twice now….

135. Rebilled says:

2 for 1 penalty for Carter.

136. BlacqueJacque says:

Whitney got caught up ice there, but Khabi bailed him out and OMG YAKUPOV you magnificent bastard!!!

I like what RK has these guys doing.

So fun to watch.

138. JohnnyRocket says:

6 or 7 shots a night- Hall’s goal this year. Yes!

139. crude says:

Look at Hemsky go!

Oiler game tapes this year are going to be recruiting tapes.

141. BlacqueJacque says:

That one on four goal by Datsyuk… sheesh. Guy responds to pressure.

142. striatic says:

Puck retrieval in the D-Zone is happening so much faster these past two games.

really helps set up the transition.

143. striatic says:

i want Penner back : /

144. VanOil says:

Bench Eager now. Does he not know one more punch to the chin and his brains will be scrambled? There is a fine line between brave and stupid, teach buddy a real lesson ~ score a goal.

145. BlacqueJacque says:

Fistric is unbelievably slow. Possibly slower than Whitney. Yet he clearly compensates for it…

146. Oilanderp says:

Jarvi has speed though eh?

Paajarvi with some nice work there. Eager is off the script a little.

148. fuzzy muppet says:

VDV has looked OK so far.

149. striatic says:

LA did well not to let PRV draw a penalty,

150. Oilanderp says:

cmon ref man, can’t you read Krueger’s lips?

151. fuzzy muppet says:

Jesus. awful call.

152. Lucinius says:

Brown being Brown.

153. BlacqueJacque says:

THAT? They call THAT tripping? Not the blatant one against Hall earlier in the period?

NHL refs have to be the most inconsistent in the pro sports world.

Maybe NBA are worse…

154. Smarmy says:

Don’t refs get ashamed of being duped by Brown by now?

Dustin Brown. Dink.

156. delooper says:

Lowetide: Anyone here from france?

I lived in Paris for a year. But I’m from Edmonton.

157. striatic says:

Khabibulin’s rebounds scare me.

it is like he has spring loaded pads or something.

158. Oilanderp says:

Maybe the linesmen will even things out by letting us score a 10′ offside goal?

Oilers stopped making clean exits and the game ground down to LA’s speed.

LA is owning the boards, and the best Oiler breakouts have been up the middle.

Gotta keep going up the middle and quit trying to out grind LA on the boards, they won’t win that way.

Good first 10 min, much weaker 2nd 10.

Would be 2-0 except for Doughty.

Great Dman.

Also,

Dustin Brown is a douche.

160. Lucinius says:

Decent period from the Oilers. Some pretty close calls. Loved Hemsky, as usual. The Bad Man and Dirty Euro that he is. Man, he never tries or goes to the hard areas.

Paajarvi seems to have some of his mojo back lately, hopefully it continues.

161. crude says:

Woodguy,

I noticed the harsh hault of momentum right after the first tv timeout. Those things are lame.

162. VanOil says:

To follow on the Every Other Canadian Team but Calgary theme ala James Duthie: Every other Canadian team would be in a playoff position if the Oilers win tonight.

Dennis King ‏@DKingBH

1st period chances: 11-5; 4-1 ST

That’s how I saw it, Oilers as WG described lost the tune and couldn’t get it back but for that first 8 or 9 minutes this thing was wheeling.

164. striatic says:

been thinking a bit about the division.

Colorado is really suffering without Landeskog and O’Reilly.

Calgary is tanking without Kipper.

Minnesota hasn’t been outstanding despite its summer deals.

Edmonton plays these teams a lot and will have the opportunity to rack up a lot of bonus points just by virtue of playing in the NW.

bodes well for possible playoff contention this year, if these teams stay on their current paths.

165. Oilanderp says:

COL/CGY are only 2 pts behind us. I wouldn’t start designing the victory dance choreography just yet.

166. Rebilled says:

striatic,

Great point.

and they’ll all be one goal games.

167. striatic says:

Oilanderp,

all i’m saying is that there is an opportunity.

Edmonton has been struggling almost as much as COL and CGY, but the opening is there if they want to take it.

Fistric physical down low, liked that play. Penalty? If they’d blown it down wouldn’t have been surprised.

169. SK Oiler Fan says:

FFS, Officiating horrible as usual. Sticks all over Hemsky not getting called and Kings diving all over the place

170. Smarmy says:

striatic:
    Oilanderp,

all i’m saying is that there is an opportunity.

Well they could look to make a trade to improve their position in the North West but we have the front office we have.

171. Oilanderp says:

striatic,

Yeah it’s all up in the air as I see it: we could find ourselves in the hunt or completely in the shitter with a few weeks left. I guess that’s better than the certainty of past years.

172. BlacqueJacque says:

Khabi’s giant rebounds finally cost us.

173. fuzzy muppet says:

That’s on NK. terrible rebound

174. Lucinius says:

Ugh.

175. striatic says:

BlacqueJacque: Khabi’s giant rebounds finally cost us.

my fears were justified, it seems.

Hope Hall isn’t hurt there, wonder if he got whacked (didn’t look like it).

177. BlacqueJacque says:

Sigh… Hall. Superstar speed, superstar reflexes, superstar thinking, average hands.

178. Lucinius says:

Hall has to at least put that on net.

179. striatic says:

i think Hall thought he was being pulled down, so he let himself go down.

180. Oilanderp says:

I think Quick gave him a whack as he went by after losing the puck. Not enough for a penalty but enough for Hall to grasp at it and save face by calling for a trip.

181. fuzzy muppet says:

striatic,

Only Dustin Brown can dive properly

182. Lois Lowe says:

Khabi playing the puck is an adventure tonight.

183. fuzzy muppet says:

THat’s not hooking???

184. Oilanderp says:

Nice Judo hip-throw by Nuge

185. BlacqueJacque says:

fuzzy muppet:
    THat’s not hooking???

Or slashing.

Sticks just break by themselves.

186. remlap says:

I was so sure that was hooking that I didn’t understand why the play didn’t get called when the Kings touched the puck.

187. crude says:

Nice hit by a wheelin Eager.

188. VanOil says:

Kopitar, a good skater himself, must have been surprised when PRV simple skated away from him. I like Eager throwing body checks more than punches.

I really don’t understand the NHL.

Last week there would have been 4 PP per side by now.

Today its alley rules.

Oilers rely on the PP to score.

Not a good development.

190. fuzzy muppet says:

Terrible play by 89.

191. Lucinius says:

Oilers forgot the lesson from the last few games; shoot the effing puck.

192. crude says:

That should be delay of gam eon Ellerby no? But I guess every time he has touched the ice has been delay of game, I can’t believe he cost a fifth… of what, whiskey?

193. Oilanderp says:

Nuge has man-baby strength!

194. VanOil says:

A shot on goal and a penalty. Surprise Surprise.

195. crude says:

Nuge is monster. A bruiser.

196. BlacqueJacque says:

The Oilers favorite penalty.

This game is terrible. I should get some sleep.

197. remlap says:

THAT’S too many men? Why do we always get terrible reffing against the Kings?

198. fuzzy muppet says:

Jesus these officials are terrible. High stick missed. too many men on both teams.. Only Edmonton gets it

199. BlacqueJacque says:

All due respect to those who hate Whitney on this 4 on 4, but Eberle needs to do something.

Too fancy, boys.