OILERS AT AVALANCHE G8 (12-13) 2.2.13

The Edmonton Oilers are 1-0-1 on this three game road trip and inside the top 8 in the western conference. Its much too early for us to be thinking playoffs, but a 4-2-1 record is a very nice start for a terribly young team with no track record for winning.

OFFENSIVE ZONE STARTS

zone start capture

Now that we’re 7 games in (after today, the Oilers will have played 1/6 of their season!) this chart looks MacTavian in nature. Kids with bullets get the push, older men with less offensive weapons but the experience of war getting the longer road.

CORSI REL

corsi capture

Big improvement in Corsi Rel from the last listing: Nail Yakupov, Ales Hemsky and Sam Gagner, along with the Petrell. Major downturns include Paajarvi and Hartikainen.

PICARD AND DATHON AT EL-ADREL

I think the item we’re going to talk about down the stretch–and the item we’re going to be hammering on in the summer–will be “Picard and Dathon at el-adrel” and I do wonder if Ryan Smyth and Shawn Horcoff can fill this role on a championship team.

Please understand, I think Horcoff and Smyth represent the very best of the 2000′s Oilers and would dearly love for them to be part of a championship team. I also think this Oiler team could enter the window of opportunity fairly quickly–they have so much elite level talent under 24–and the usual problems are the usual problems.

If Ryan Smyth and Shawn Horcoff could combine with a Daniel Winnik to form that low-event, tough-minutes trio that we know an NHL team needs, then Hallelujah that’s one more hurdle in the past. I don’t know it to be true, guess we’ll find out.

Horcoff’s zone start/corsi rel is encouraging, Smyth’s death defying. It’s early.

The Qual comp numbers are here and the 5×5/60 numbers are here. Once again my sincere thanks to Gabriel Desjardins and behind the net. It’s the window for adults to enjoy hockey on another level.

penner

Among the names who might be interesting trade acquisitions this spring is Dustin Penner. The big man is in the doghouse out on the coast and is on a one-year deal. By the deadline the Oilers should have a better idea of:

• where Teemu Hartikainen fits in the top 9
  • if Paajarvi fits at all
  • if Eager can perform despite the concussion history
  • if they’ve finally figured out Darcy Hordichuk’s too expensive just for the roster spot

and adding a guy like Penner would give them a nice option for the top and bottom 6. I admit to always liking Penner (he scored such a sweet goal one night I was in the Journal suite–it was right in front of me) and he’s miles from being a spent force (he is 30). Can’t imagine he costs much, bet MacT would have nice things to say. :-)

He’s a poor man’s Frank Mahovlich. That’s still a damn good hockey player.

277 Responses to "OILERS AT AVALANCHE G8 (12-13) 2.2.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. refmaksy says:

LT, can you post some numbers to support why you’re such a dustin penner fan? I think he is lazy and unmotivated, and out of shape, and generally over-rated. I’m glad he left Edmonton because I was tired of being disappointed with his lack of effort. Since I enjoy your number analysis so much, I was wondering if you could back up your suggestion with some data? Many thanks, Brian.

refmaksy:
    LT, can you post some numbers to support why you’re such a dustin penner fan?I think he is lazy and unmotivated, and out of shape, and generally over-rated.I’m glad he left Edmonton because I was tired of being disappointed with his lack of effort.Since I enjoy your number analysis so much, I was wondering if you could back up your suggestion with some data?Many thanks, Brian.

Sure. Here’s the 09-10 season, Penner was the best healthy player at evens

Here he is in the previous season with the best Corsi

And in 07-08

Penner is inconsistent, and I do believe his Mennonite background is reflected in his approach to life and the game. I grew up Jehovah’s Witness, and have in my life encountered similar feelings from those around me. It’s an issue–he isn’t as aggressive as you’d like–but that doesn’t mean he can’t do things or that he isn’t useful.

I’d have him on my team any day.

3. Ryan says:

Penner would be a very useful spare part. What do you think he would cost?

Refmaksy, Penner’s a pretty versatile player. In his Quinn season, he was highly ranked at all of 4v5/60, 5v5/60, and 5v4/60 iirc. He can pk, has decent hands, eclipse in front of net on pp.

Obviously he’s not the Quinn Penner anymore, but he wouldn’t be filling a top line role either.

4. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Ditto. Penner is criminally underrated. Sure, infuriating at times, but he helped drag Gilbert Brule to a career year and was the best forward at both ends of the ice for a poor Oiler club. I’m not sure that playing on the Kings is the best fit for him, too many other big bodies who are faster and more physical than he is – and Sutter’s coaching style isn’t really a fit for Penner.

Always enjoyed watching the guy play, so controlled, subtle and skilled.

5. hunter1909 says:

Biggish game today. If they win, on the road, it’s back to the top of the leaderboard.

If playoffs started today, the Oilers would open in Vancouver – How many nuck fans look forward to that lose-lose scenario?

6. Henry says:

The early stats are interesting. By eye, Hartikainen, MPS and Belanger were much better than their Corsi. While shots attempted is a nice proxy for possesion time, in their case it might not reflect the nice boardwork they have been doing the past week. On the other hand, they might score if they shoot the damn puck.

My wife is American and has put up with a lot of bad hockey the past six years. I haven’t had much excuse for TV domination till now. On Thursday we both said ‘There are two very good teams playing in this game.’ Its getting hard not to be excited about the Oilers.

I don’t think MacT will ever get over his doubt about Penner. He retracted some on TSN, moving from dislike to doubt, but I think the Oilers will look for more “predictable” performers, and I think the cluster will attract them. I think they will also look for UFA’s in their twenties rather than in their thirties.

Anaheim looks like a logical destination for Penner. He began there. His home is basically there. They are a budget team. Penner will choose lifestyle over max dollars. He has two rings and his name on the Cup twice.

Godot10: He’s a Stanley magnet. San Jose should trade for him. :-)

Ryan: I don’t think he’d be a heavy cost, for the Oilers they might have to give up a pick or perhaps a decent prospect. I think you could get him without giving up a roster player.

Nice to see 64-89-83 pulling up their socks at 5v5.

They were getting buried in the first few games.

Here’s RelCor for the D:

JUSTINSCHULTZ 16.3
    NICKSCHULTZ 4.8
    COREYPOTTER 3.8
    RYANWHITNEY -7.5
    JEFFPETRY -8
    MARKFISTRIC -9.4
    LADISLAVSMID -13.1

Shultz the Younger is ridiculous.

Here’s their ZS:

JUSTINSCHULTZ 48.6
    NICKSCHULTZ 45.2
    JEFFPETRY 44.3
    COREYPOTTER 43.9
    LADISLAVSMID 43.9
    RYANWHITNEY 42.5
    MARKFISTRIC 36

Younger and his partner getting the push, but looks like the Oilers start a lot in own zone.

Also,

Tonight’s game is winnable. COL still without some key components and Hall can be counted on to skate like a demon on every damn shift.

If the Oilers come off this roadie with 5/6 points, that’ll go a long way to keeping their head above water.

Oilers don’t do well historically in afternoon games, but they Oilers also haven’t been like this team for a long, long time.

Go Oilers!!

*clap,clap*

10. Gret99zky says:

If Penner is such a “damn good hockey player”, why isn’t he playing? Isn’t LA below us in the standings?

He scored that one goal? Sorry LT. I’m not buying it.

11. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Also, I do believe Smyth Horcoff and Penner could be a damn good 4th line, but as far as the heavy minutes go I think father time might have passed by.

As for Penner, he plays on the 4th line till you can justify moving him up, personally, I would drop a significant raise to Clowe before I spent a dime on Penner.

12. jake70 says:

Any Halifax posters here ( I think Jonrmcleod + Knighttown ??) know of any spots to catch the game today, ideally on the Dartmouth side of the harbour?………..heading down the TCH for a live music event tonight and the game will dovetail nicely into the soiree. Can’t be sure the hotel will have the game.

13. hunter1909 says:

Then why doesn’t he come here, everything considered, since hockey wise this team is set to kill everyone as early as next season. If he’s mennonite then basically he’s a man from the 1700′s, so therefore begging the question: are there any historians in the house?

14. hunter1909 says:

LOL suggestion of the week: Katz personally offers Rob Schremp an AHL superstar contract paying AHL superstar money(whatever the fuck that is), on the proviso that Rob gets a miniscule shot at the big team if say, a couple of centres go down. Otherwise it’s the AHL all the way for captain America.

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Can we send Teubert back?

EDM to LA: the broken fridge exchange program!

16. hunter1909 says:

Wes Mantooth-11: Is anyone else concerned that the Oilers are being outshot badly and not scoring 5×5? Is this not the calm before the storm?

17. wordbird says:

can Petrell be Winnik-ian enough? or is Jones the guy?
    will Ralph, MacT et al be able to shed a couple of this lineups albatrosses (we’re looking at you, Eager and Hordichuk)?
    I’m hoping it isn’t long til the team cuts bait on parts of this roster.
    and deals with the elephant in the room that is Khabibulin. still gotta find out what he’s got left, if anything.

18. danny says:

Ah the future is coming.

Woodguy and Dennis rode me pretty hard for being content with waiting until 12-13 to go for the playoffs, and grab a couple more top prospects after the Hall draft. It was a painful process for sure, and three of us probably are united with suspect that the management have the finesse to make the right moves to put us over the top from here.

But it looks like we are going to have a lot of fun around here the next buncha years.

NOW it’s time to give Marty Reasoner a call boys ;)

It certainly tempers the enthusiasm.

With all the penalties, 5v4 and 4v5 play become more important and the Oilers are 4th in PP and 6th in PK.

As the penalties start coming down, they will need to play better 5v5.

Dubnyk’s 4v5 SV% is 8th among goalies who have played at least 4 games with a .900

Most goalies converge to about .880ish over time so he’s a little above the norm there, which makes the 4v5 look stronger.

Incidently that’s one of the concerns with Schenider.

Last year he had a .959 4v5 SV% over 33 games.

That’s like a forward shooting 25%. Nice to see, but no way it stays there long term.

It really inflated his SV% and may have created false expectations for him.

This year he’s on the low end of the curve with a .808 4v5 and his numbers suffer because of it.

danny:
    Ah the future is coming.

NOW it’s time to give Marty Reasoner a call boys

We’re seeing the benefit now, which is nice, but I still think smart management can win without tanking.

Oilers haven’t had smart management for a while, so that wasn’t an option. :)

21. loilfan says:

This team needs a crash and bang player on the third line that plays Eager’s game(only better) first if they want to do well in the playoffs. Boston had Marchand and Thornton, Chicago had Eager and Bolland, Pittsburgh had Cooke. We need a player who will wear out the other team with their physical play and maybe pot a few goals. Penner may still be a good player for your bottom 6, but hes going to have to be more or an A-hole if he wants to play there.

22. Zipdot says:

WELCOME HOME, DUSTIN PENNER!

My favourite Oiler at the time he was traded. Goofball extraordinaire and the essence of what makes a big power forward. Lazy bastard, though, eh?

23. Clarkenstein says:

Penner? Seriously? That train has left the station.

24. BlacqueJacque says:

Robyn Regehr was a Mennonite, too. Can’t say it made him soften up on anyone, especially Hemsky.

Anyway, I really wanted to keep Penner back in the day. In fact, after the 08-09 season, I thought we should have put the C on him. Not because he deserved it (though he was our best player), but because he responded to pressure and responsibility so well. He definitely liked being “the man”.

25. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wordbird: can Petrell be Winnik-ian enough? or is Jones the guy?

I always assumed these guys were spare parts to fill out the crappy teams we iced during our rebuild… ie., abandoned as soon as the corner is turned.

but who knows.

Bruce will tell you (iirc) Jones kills it and Woodguy will say he cheats for offence… to me that combo says he’s not the complete Winnik package… but I should probably let the adults around here assess these players

Petrell seems like a pretty solid PK guy who’s toughish and can surprise you with good play at 5×5… but that seems pretty rare.

I remember last year Zona got me pretty excited by pointing out that Petrell played better when Lander finally went down… but that spurt (like most good Petrell things) was short lived.

Does anyone have the “mgt. line” on these guys? if there is a public version.

26. BlacqueJacque says:

Hey, Yakupov has had his celebration injected into NHL 13!

27. spoiler says:

Tambellini gets rid of Penner because he doesn’t like his attitude, or his pancake and barley breakfasts, and wants culture change for the young hotshots he’s drafting by.the bushel…

And there he is having the same problems in LA.

And then Tambo brings the cancer back?

That’s on a list of things that will never happen… like bloggers in the press gondola, management admitting mistakes like Khabby, and Katz shaking hands daily with the public in public.

This team has up arrrows, but they’re only a borderline playoff team at best, till Gagner’s line can out-shoot and out-score. Why spend a dime on Penner anyways?

28. spoiler says:

Not to mention left wingers we have… Hall, Yak, Smyth, MPS, Eager, book¡e, Staples.

29. spoiler says:

What would you do if this happens…

Old Marble-mouth from Ottawa calls. Spezza is out for the season. Says he wants Horcoff and is willing to offer Bishop for Horcoff…

After squeezing his marbles a bit you get it to Lehner instead and a kicker… Maybe O’Brien or Da Costa and a mid-pick.

Do you do it?

30. leadfarmer says:

Damn, has anyone else noticed that Tampa has already scored 18 more goals than the Oil in only 7 games.

31. jonrmcleod says:

jake70,

I actually hadn’t thought about it. I was assuming it would be on CBC, but based on your question, it appears it’s not. (It was nice having that first free month of NHL Centre Ice.) I’ll probably end up watching it on NHL GameCenter.

32. wordbird says:

leadfarmer,

would love Lehner. but leaves a big hole at center. Belanger up to 3rd, but then what?

33. jonrmcleod says:

jake70,

LT talked about religious upbringing in his post, and being brought up in a strict Baptist home I haven’t developed the habit of watching sports games in bars, etc. So I guess I’m not really much help to you.

34. jonrmcleod says:

jake70,

I am impressed that you remembered I’m in Halifax–actually Eastern Passage, right next to Cole Harbour and Dartmouth.

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The game is a rare can. team sat. game that is not on CBC. SN W. has it.

I think we (who are out of region) are all stuck with paid packages or one of the streaming options

cbc does have the Habs game on at 2pm EST

36. khildahl says:

Oh, Pancakes.

Dustin Penner is one of the most infuriating players this team has had in the last ten years. He was the laziest best player on the team I’ve ever seen.

37. Marc says:

Woodguy: I think a lot of us who have followed the team for years and saw what could be done with smart management didn’t have the stomach or patience for a scorched earth rebuild.

Lowe tried after the Cup run. He failed.
    Burke tried in Toronto. He failed.
    Howson tried in Columbus. He failed.
    Feaster is trying in Calgary. He’s failing.

Who in the last 10 years has actually pulled it off and rebuilt a non-playoff team into a perennial Cup contender without tanking? Chiarelli in Boston? Who else?

It seems to me that trying to rebuild without tanking is like signing a UFA to a big long term deal when he’s coming off a season where his shooting percentage is a couple percent higher than his career average – it could work out but it is a low percentage, high risk move.

38. Ice Sage says:

hunter1909,

RE: Canucks vs Oilers, 1st round

Here are the predictable Canuck responses:
    1. as 8th seed, we’ll be even better, like LA
    2. we won over Chicago and didn’t get hurt!!!!
    3. when Kessler and Boooth get back… yawn… oh look a doobie
    4. Oilers suck and wah wah why don’t we have a cup yet
    5. When we trade Luongo for Crosby… oh darn, Lu’s playing well – he can’t be inspired by the thought of leaving this wimpass, fading org, can he?

One need look no further than the ‘Team Canada’ fan in the headline pic… poor kid… “but Dada, I thought Eberle was Canada hero???”

Goil

39. Ice Sage says:

Marc: Lots of managers think that they can rebuild without tanking but there are precious few examples of teams actually pulling it off.

Lowe tried after the Cup run. He failed.
    Burke tried in Toronto. He failed.
    Howson tried in Columbus. He failed.
    Feaster is trying in Calgary. He’s failing.

That depends how you define ‘rebuild’. I’d submit that Ottawa, New Jersey and Tampa Bay, while not ‘perennial cup contenders’ (only a handful of those over last decade), were stripped to basics and re-fashioned to highly competetive teams. If the Oil keep Smyth, Horcoff and Hemsky then go deep in the next few years, they’ll have done this too.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Marc,

I can think of someone who is going to say Florida and Minn.

41. commonfan14 says:

spoiler,

I don’t want Tambo talking to Murray.

He’d just start agreeing to things and end up sending over RNH while wearing a puffy shirt.

42. Hayek says:

How about the performance of the Barons yesterday. They beat Charlotte 7-3 with:
    Cheechoo 1G 4A
    Arcobello 2G 2A
    Cornet 2G 2A

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

another opportunity to note that euro uniforms are insane and that (in this instance at least) the rhetoric about America and Europe being capitalist and socialist utopias respectively is upended.

44. Gerta Rauss says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Marc,

I can think of someone who is going to say Florida and Minn.

Beat me to it.

I was not a fan of the scorched earth policy either but I admit I’m enjoying the fruits of our futility now. That being said, until we hoist the cup over our heads and drink to a championship, we’ve got a whole lot of promise and not much else.

45. Gerta Rauss says:

Omark draws a lot of strong opinions, but he’s doing the ONLY thing that can help the Oilers club right now…scoring goals in the Swiss league and making headlines and improving his trade value. Keep it up, kid.

46. VanOil says:

I would take Penner back, he was on some very very bad Oilers teams and could not carry them. When he has been on good teams he has done very little other than help them win the Cup. I do not think he was a cancer in the room, he is a very like able guy and owns his short comings. Old school pluggers like Mactavish and Sutter look at his big frame and soft hands and think ‘wow I would have done so much more with that’ but if you look what he has done through more neutral eyes it is a very successful NHL career from a guy who was not even drafted. If he was 5’11 people would be saying he has had a great career. I think he could be had for a reasonable price this year and would help any team he goes to win (as long as he stays away from evil puck bunny’s) which is a lesson some of young guy’s could do well to learn from him.

47. Marc says:

Ice Sage,

New Jersey was a consistent playoff team that had one bad season and then went back to the playoffs, so I don’t know that their situation is that comparable to Edmonton. Ottawa also made the playoffs in 4 of the last 6 years.

Tampa finished 30th, 29th and 25th before getting into the playoffs so they look more like a team that took the tank approach.

48. jp says:

Lowetide: Sure. Here’s the 09-10 season, Penner was the best healthy player at evens

Here he is in the previous season with the best Corsi

And in 07-08

I’d have him on my team any day.

Those numbers are pretty difficult to argue with, no? Best corsi all 3 seasons, #1 or #2 in P/60 in the 2nd and 3rd years. He was (is?) a good hockey player. Period.

No disagreement that he looked lazy (though probably wasn’t quite as lazy as he looked), and that he could have brought more in terms of intensity and physical play. He was a frustrating player to watch for sure, but I don’t see how anyone can argue that he wasn’t a “good” hockey player in his time in Edm.

I think spoiler is right that we won’t see him back here, but I’d be happy to have him if the price was reasonable (both salary- and asset-wise).

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Can we send Teubert back?

EDM to LA: the broken fridge exchange program!

Haha. Well said!

49. Halfwise says:

So, Omark for Penner, then.

As for the roster situation, MPS being sent down etc etc, I don’t understand why they didn’t put Hordichuk on waivers, bring up Lander and leave MPS on the roster. If Hordichuk is claimed, it frees up a roster spot. If he clears, it frees up a roster spot. If he is lost when recalled, it frees up a roster spot.

Having a roster spot tied up for a 2 minute per night skate breaker does not look like asset management to me.

50. Melman says:

One question I have: Harski, MPS and Belanger look like they might develop into an effective 4th line. -Belanger BTW has been very solid in his role this year – Petrell is gaining traction in his role. Ralph talks about each player having a specialist role. Q: where does Jones fit in when he’s ready? Does MPS stay in OKC?

51. khildahl says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Marc,

I can think of someone who is going to say Florida and Minn.

I would respond to that by pointing out that “smart” GMs don’t commit $15-million worth of their cap to 2 players through 2025 (with NTCs) right before the CBA expires and a lockout everyone knew was coming starts in order to lower the salary cap.

But that someone would then change the subject.

52. jonrmcleod says:

I’m sure if MacT had a second chance with Penner, he’d be transformed into a Hart Trophy candidate. The same goes for Omark. After all, MacT did convince Katz and management to draft Yakupov instead of Murray, made sure J. Schultz signed on the dotted line, developed Gagner’s off-season workout routine, and somehow made sure Khabibulin was injured at the start of the season. Right now he’s writing a list of better puns for Gene Principe. I am thoroughly convinced MacT can do no wrong.

53. Captain Happy says:

There are several examples of teams that have come from the bottom of the pack to strong playoff contenders without tanking.

PHX, TB and STL are just a few of the teams that were built with astute trades and signings and exceptional drafting.

5 years ago, STL finished with 79 points, 9 points fewer than the Oilers (and Canucks).

STL’s draft history in the past 10 years shows them picking in the top 10 only twice and yet they’ve built a very strong, big, well balanced team and did it on a shoestring budget.

If you had to guess which team in the league spends the least, you likely immediately think it’s the Coyotes (who have also been the beneficiaries of smart management without tanking) but it is the STL Blues who are sitting with $21M in free cap space.

54. mc79hockey says:

bloggers in the press gondola,

There’ve been bloggers in the press gondola – they toe the right line though.

Lehner’s a pretty serious prospect, IIRC. If I can get him for Horcoff, I do it and try to find a Horc replacement short term at the deadline.

55. khildahl says:

Captain Happy:

The Blues have 11 contracts expiring at the end of the season, and 7 of those are for RFAs. That cap space is going to disappear extremely quickly (especially if they waste any time at all on Pietrangelo. He’ll get an offer sheet on July 1).

And in what fantasy world did Tampa Bay not tank?

56. Melman says:

mc79hockey,

Trade your captain and roll with RNH, Gags, Belanger and Lander for a backup goalie that MAY be better in the 8 games he plays than NK/Danis? No thanks, by the time the deadline arrives the playoffs are a dream.

57. sliderule says:

I think they tanked the last part of season for Hall but I don’t think they realized what a lottery magnet Habi is..

To me the reason the team got into such bad shape was poor entry drafting combined with terrible pro scouting..If the draft of 2002 and 2003 had given us Steen and Parise we wouldn’t have been a lottery team and probably won the cup in 2006.I think they have tried to address this but I don’t think they have purged the good old boys or added enough investment in good people for scouting.

58. rickithebear says:

My favourite penner moment was hereing everyone complain about penner ‘s lazy stride.
    looked at video of him and cogliano in stride. he with his plodding and cogliano with hard worhing stride. they stayed together.

Then i remeber working harder does not mean better.

Penner averaged 25G/season in the 3.75 seasons as an oiler.

59. 48 percent body fat says:

one year anniversary of 8 point night. Samwise is playing against his favorite team. Dont think 8 is in the cards again but I will go with four.

60. Marc says:

Captain Happy,

Phoenix is a good example of a team that’s turned into a solid playoff team without high draft picks.

But as I noted below Tampa finished 30th, 29th and 25th before getting into the playoffs and St Louis finished 30th, 22nd and 27th before making the playoffs, so they both look to me like teams that used three years of sucking hard as the basis for a subsequent revival.

How is that different than what Edmonton’s done, other than the fact that Edmonton unsuccessfully tried rebuilding without tanking for a few years before they started sucking hard.?

61. jp says:

khildahl: The Blues have 11 contracts expiring at the end of the season, and 7 of those are for RFAs.That cap space is going to disappear extremely quickly (especially if they waste any time at all on Pietrangelo.He’ll get an offer sheet on July 1).

And in what fantasy world did Tampa Bay not tank?

Also, they’re not in such huge trouble with salaries next year. They have some guys due for raises, but it looks to me like they’re in great shape going forward too: http://capgeek.com/blues

62. Henry says:

Lowe tried after the Cup run. He failed.
    Burke tried in Toronto. He failed.
    Howson tried in Columbus. He failed.
    Feaster is trying in Calgary. He’s failing.

New York Rangers went from mediocrity to very good without a tank job, thanks to Lundquist, Sather (despite some awful signings) and Bob Gainey.

63. Captain Happy says:

And in what fantasy world did Tampa Bay not tank?

Imagine that…having a bunch of great young players coming off ELC’s and having all the cap space in the world ($33M) to sign them.

That’s a GM’s dream not a problem.

In the case of Tampa Bay, I’d like to see the evidence that they intentionally tanked considering their first picks in the last 10 years were:

02 – 60th

03 – 34th

04 – 30th

05 – 30th

06 – 15th

07 – 47th

08 – 1st

09 – 2nd

10 – 6th

11 – 27th

12 – 10th

Obviously, they had a couple of bad seasons in consecutive years, picked up a couple of high picks and rebuilt on the fly.

64. Captain Happy says:

Marc:
    Captain Happy,

How is that different than what Edmonton’s done, other than the fact that Edmonton unsuccessfullytried rebuilding without tanking for a few years before they started sucking hard.?

The difference is the Oilers did it on purpose and they have now sucked for 6 years going on 7.

65. CapeBretonOilers says:

Hayek,

Any chance Cheechoo becomes an NHL option ?

66. cabbiesmacker says:

loilfan:
    This team needs a crash and bang player on the third line that plays Eager’s game(only better) first if they want to do well in the playoffs. Chicago had Eager and Bolland,

Chicago had a ridiculous amount of talent to pop into third line roles with Bolland in 09/10. Brouwer, Ladd. Byfuglien if Versteeg was on the second. Versteeg if Byfuglien was on the second. Any of the above if Byfuglien was playing D. One of the deepest teams ever seen in the modern day NHL. Fackin Tallon.

Eager was 4th line.

67. cabbiesmacker says:

CapeBretonOilers:
    Hayek,

Any chance Cheechoo becomes an NHL option?

Sure. If Saskatoon, Halifax, Markham, Quebec City, and Chilliwack are awarded franchises in the next month or so.

68. khildahl says:

jp: Sure their payroll is going up next year, but that doesn’t take away from what they’ve done so far. It is extremely impressive that they’ve been a top team, with a low payroll that didn’t tank. They are an excellent example of a team that got where they are through good/smart moves.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, St. Louis did tank.

Beyond that, they have to resign (or replace) nearly half their roster with $33.4 million. That gives them about $3 million per player, but considering what they’re going to have to spend on Stewart, Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk, that number is going to drop in a hurry.

They’re a prime target for offer sheets in the summer.

69. stevezie says:

In Re: The Mennonite idea, I also come from fine Mennonite stock. I do think think a lack of aggression is pretty plainly displayed in my life, with one notable exception: hockey. Hockey is what Mennonites do to release (or even display!) their pent-up aggression (they have no other valve) and I have seen church elders tear the rink down.

Put a stick in their hands and they turn into Baptists.

70. CapeBretonOilers says:

cabbiesmacker,

So you’re saying theres a chance ? Awesome

71. knighttown says:

jake70,

Don’t know Dartmouth real well but I expect a place like Bubba Ray’s to have the game on. Pretty great wings too.

72. delooper says:

Penner was one of the best players on a bad Oiler team. And when he’s on pretty good teams, they’ve had good chances of winning the Stanley Cup. Yes he appears slow sometimes but when he’s playing well (and that is most of the time) the puck is never ever in his defensive zone. He’s not really a PP guy. But he’s a great PK guy and a great even strength guy. And I think pretty much everyone except the bubble players on the Oilers would welcome him back with open arms — they *know* the Oilers need a guy like him. They need him badly.

73. khildahl says:

Captain Happy,

Who said anything about intentionally tanking or not? Finishing at the bottom of the league is finishing at the bottom of the league.

You can’t dismiss 4 top 10 draft picks in 5 years as a blip on the radar and claim the team has the players it does through nothing more than astute management.

74. Captain Happy says:

khildahl: As has been pointed out elsewhere, St. Louis did tank.

Beyond that, they have to resign (or replace) nearly half their roster with $33.4 million.That gives them about $3 million per player, but considering what they’re going to have to spend on Stewart, Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk, that number is going to drop in a hurry.

They’re a prime target for offer sheets in the summer.

I guess they must be a prime target for offer sheets too.

75. cabbiesmacker says:

Marc:
    Captain Happy,

But as I noted below Tampa finished 30th, 29th and 25th before getting into the playoffs so they look to me like teams that used three years of sucking hard as the basis for a subsequent revival.

TBay with the exception of Stamkos and Hedman wasn’t built via the draft. Granted Stamkos is a fairly significant piece. Outside of those two their draft record right across the board is pretty putrid.

They got where they are today via free agent signings and trades. So the biggest difference between the Lightning and Oilers is that TB has management capable of such things.

76. cabbiesmacker says:

Off topic but I’m sure looking forward to Shanahan’s explanation of the Backes expulsion last night. What a ridiculous call by the Magoo’s. Bantam AAA worthy.

The idiot who made the call should be forced to explain himself openly in hopes it wakes the whole lot of them up a tad.

77. khildahl says:

Captain Happy: Worth noting that the Oilers have even MORE players that need re-signing next season and have only $19 M to accomplish the task.

I guess they must be a prime target for offer sheets too.

78. cabbiesmacker says:

79. khildahl says:

cabbiesmacker: Whitney’s, Khabby’s, Hordichuk’s salary off the books with only Gagner, Schmeebs, MPS, Fistric,and Jones to sign that matter. Yawn. I don’t see an issue.

Oops. I forgot MPS. He could get offer sheeted as well.

80. Marc says:

cabbiesmacker:

It’s apparently been rescinded (per LeBrun)

81. Captain Happy says:

khildahl: If by “even MORE” you mean “1 more” then yes, you’re correct.If you consider that of those 12 players, 3 of them are Khabibulin, Sutton and Hordichuk, then not so much.

The only players the Oilers have to resign in the summer who will be getting significant dollars are Smid and Gagner.Throw in a replacement for Whitney (not that I’m confident we’ll get one) for slightly bigger dollars, but everyone else should stay around the amount they’re at this year.

And yes, Gagner is a target for offer sheets.If some GM out there wants to sign Peckham or Hartikainen to a crazy one, more power to them.

Offer sheets won’t be an issue in either case.

But suggesting STL is in tough and the Oilers aren’t flies in the face of reality.

STL has Berglund, Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk as high end RFA’s.

Easy peasy.

82. Captain Happy says:

khildahl: Oops.I forgot MPS.He could get offer sheeted as well.

I don’t think an SEL team can offersheet and NHL RFA. :)

83. cabbiesmacker says:

Marc: It’s apparently been rescinded (per LeBrun)

And nothing happens to hold Ray Charles responsible. Sad. If more of them were publicly slapped it would improve things.

84. Ice Sage says:

khildahl: If by “even MORE” you mean “1 more” then yes, you’re correct. If you consider that of those 12 players, 3 of them are Khabibulin, Sutton and Hordichuk, then not so much.The only players the Oilers have to resign in the summer who will be getting significant dollars are Smid and Gagner. Throw in a replacement for Whitney (not that I’m confident we’ll get one) for slightly bigger dollars, but everyone else should stay around the amount they’re at this year.And yes, Gagner is a target for offer sheets. If some GM out there wants to sign Peckham or Hartikainen to a crazy one, more power to them.

I say let Gagner go and take the 4 firsts! We’ll sign Wellwood who is better and cheaper, according to a very wise poster
    Also TB did draft Lecavalier

85. cabbiesmacker says:

Captain Happy: I don’t think an SEL team can offersheet and NHL RFA.

They could offer him a very nice Volvo? Not sure if he’d have the tweed hat and pipe as qualifications to drive one but still.

86. Ice Sage says:

As to STL, their best signing was Hitchcock.

87. VanOil says:

Looking ahead to the next, next Avalanche game. Do you think CBC will have the guts to send Cherry to Edmonton for the broadcast? I would delight in spending an evening chirping the old bigoted kill joy. The NHL and Hockey has done well over the years from his ‘personality’ but I would rather the personalities of the likes of Yak and Subban be the ones the game thrives on going forward.

Dubnyk starts per Stauffer. Good move, Ralph.

89. Rebilled says:

What a great photo.

Canucks lose the game, a thumbs down from a guy in a Canada jersey, thumbs downing the future of Team Canada. The L in Losing is for 0 cups.

Waking up hung-over at 12 to find out there’s an afternoon game is great at first, then you remember how the Oilers usually play day games. That being said, almost impossible to predict this team now.

90. Captain Happy says:

Rebilled:
    What a great photo.

Colorado is missing 4 of their top 9 forwards.

If the Oilers can’t beat them soundly, something is amiss.

91. DeadmanWaking says:

Nothing takes quite the dump on metaphor like the The Shipping News.

Pertinent bits concerning metaphor and resurrection are 02:54-05:09, 07:15-08:14, and 10:27-end. The metaphorical tempest begins when Quoyle finally snogs Julianne Moore. There are worse beginnings.

You all know we are only passing by, we warrk over these stones a few times, our boats sail for a little while on the waves, and ‘den they have to sink.

The Shipping News

00:55-01:20 I’ve quoted before. 02:00-02:07 is fresh for the occasion.

Unfortunately this clip comes along with the “Voice of God” laying on his usual treacle as well as great blasts of uplifting orchestral music of the type that can only be composed during the manic bounce after six years of seclusion. self-loathing, and cutting fixations. The radiance on screen, however, is Julianne Moore’s unadulterated Private Reserve.

As a side note, here’s a little primer on the difference between Spacey and Cage: Nicolas Cage Losing His Matthew Barnaby. There’s also a little instruction in those clips from The Shipping News about the difference between a gift of lembas bread or of Twinkies for going the distance.

I was driven to post on the game day thread not just by Lowetide’s taunting invocation of space metaphor (there’s always a good reason to step over the undrying paint), but also by the following paragraph from Atmosphere around Edmonton Oilers players more about winning, rather than trying not to lose:

“I think from Day 1, even in the summer, we felt that everybody had had enough,” [Krueger] said. “We pushed the erase button on everything in the past. We have not spoken about the past at all. It’s not a theme. Everything that’s past is over. We are a team that’s truly trying to be excellent in the day and the guys are all in on this.”

Look at that Picard clip, and ask yourself if you want any of these people on your first unit PP. Me and mine, we were watching old episodes from NewsRadio last night, end of the second season. My squeeze was delighted to discover this additional reservoir of low-brow taste on my behalf. This show lays on the slapstick pretty thick (thanks, Matthew) but it’s not so low-brow as all that. The set design is right out of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. The putative “seat of the intellect” is stage right (Dave’s office), the guts are in the center, and the nether regions (staff kitchen, bathroom, elevators) are stage left. The cast is in constant motion, especially Maura Tierney (I could watch her all day) constantly storming off camera in high neurotic dander. Now there’s good acting: an actress who can completely sell the impression that her one true mission in life is to flee the focal center. From this starting point, she barely needs to add neurosis, it just wells up naturally from constantly showing her back to the loving lens.

Just watch this cast dance: crisp short passes, everyone moving their feet. There’s a first unit PP you would like to have. Matthew is actually slightly undercover here as the slapstick dork. His real function is to show up and gnaw the ropes with his tin-ear transgressive remarks at any point where two casts members securely stow any personal baggage (which they need to achieve at least momentarily to continue to appear human). Matthew prevents comedy from descending into drama, and allows them to continue opening dissecting Dave and Lisa’s love life at the daily staff meeting–right in front of Dave and Lisa–without the audience beginning to loathe that motley crew of back-biting vipers. The purpose of the slapstick is to distract the audience from Matthew’s key role in sustaining the openly transgressive social culture. It’s no easy feat to take people away from the office by taking them back to the office. I can’t recall ever watching an episode of ER. For me, Tierney is Lisa, full stop.

That’s enough for now. I mean to continue this one (meaning maybe I won’t) with some observations on Howard Bloom’s The God Problem in which he bitch slaps Claude Shannon.

[Howard Bloom] tutored the band Styx in how to appeal to “more staid magazines” such as the Wall Street Journal and People and so make them mainstream. He was hired by Columbia Records to make Billy Joel “more media friendly”. He was also the publicist for Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Talking Heads, Lionel Richie, ZZ Top, Bette Midler, AC/DC, Simon & Garfunkel, John Mellencamp, Earth, Wind & Fire, and Kiss. He handled Bob Marley including his Uprising Tour.

My god, that’s more pop culture than I’ve even heard of. (I exaggerate slightly: my only complete visual blank is ZZ Top. Nope, never seen those frizzy beards or those foppy hats or those shaggy guitars ever before. I’m guessing they’re musicians.)

Bloom makes some good observations about personal identity: if you rebuild a ship plank by plank, when does the old ship become a new ship?

His bitch slap of Claude Shannon is for getting the metaphor of information theory incorrect by invoking “entropy” to fixate on disorder, subordinating “meaning”. He writes with a forceful and direct cadence. It’s beyond bizarre to feel some of my own phrastic devices bouncing back at me off the page.

92. LMHF#1 says:

Even if this team makes it to the dance this year, it is too late for #s 10 and 94. They need to be at best 4th liners by that point. 2006 taught us about roster depth and the difference guys like Samsonov can make. We need our Samsonov and our Spacek should we spy the finish line.

Penner’s a good option. Washington has some interesting players if they continue to struggle. Philly too.

Of all the teams though, the one that might be of most use at deadline time are the Islanders of all people. Reasoner, Bailey, Moulson, Streit, Visnovsky, Boyes and more.

93. Rebilled says:

Wow, how does Ba not get a penalty? Not a Chelsea fan but kicked in the face, broken nose…wow

94. Ribs says:

How much coffee have Louie and Quinn drank today? HYPED!

I like the post picture, too. The amazed look on that kids face is priceless. I think it may have captured a fan conversion the second it happened.

95. fuzzy muppet says:

yak…nice pass hemmer…

Hemsky found Yakupov pretty well there.

97. voxwah says:

Sweet Ales, sweet!

Yakupov (Hemsky, Gagner)

99. snipes67 says:

Anyone have a link to the game?

The Oilers have two scoring lines now, I think we can safely say it. When was the last time?

101. Lucinius says:

Bad man Hemsky! Nice work there by someone often regarded as “soft” by those who have no clue.

‘Hemsky to Yakupov!’ officially begins now?

102. VanOil says:

2nd line is looking like it could have a very big game. 8 games in a row with a point for the Hobbit

103. Rebilled says:

Destroyers

104. Ribs says:

Gagner about to go Supernova, too? ;)

105. spoiler says:

commonfan14:
    spoiler,

I don’t want Tambo talking to Murray.

Pretty funny.

mc79hockey:
    bloggers in the press gondola,

There’ve been bloggers in the press gondola – they toe the right line though.

The kicker in that trade, I think his name is Jim O’Brien, has about half a season NHL experience, lots of AHL (2007 draftee), is a defensive specialist, big strong guy, great skater, not much for hands, but a guy who can easily play behind Belanger at 4C and fill Horc’s spot on the PK.

And, as you say, the Oil can look for a replacement at the deadline or over the summer too.

Losing Horc would create a hole this year, but thinking long term and big picture, I think I have to do that deal too.

106. Hayek says:

Sorry, I am biased as I had a negative opinion on Fistric before joining the Oilers, but he is not good. Never mind the penalty he just took. He is just so slow, such a pylon.

107. fuzzy muppet says:

that call sucks

108. Lucinius says:

Some… questionable defensive zone coverage so far.

Could be one of those games.

Lander must have killed a lot of penalties in Sweden. He looks so much better there to my eye.

110. voxwah says:

Beef for beef trade. Penner for Teubert and Plante.

Patrick Bordeleau is an asshole.

112. Lucinius says:

How is the hit on RNH not a penalty? Interference if nothing else.

113. VanOil says:

Lander looks better than I remember too.

114. Hayek says:

Yeah, can we trade Hordichuk for him?

115. leadfarmer says:

worst drop back pass ever

116. leadfarmer says:

Yakupov is going to score a lot of goals in his career.

117. VanOil says:

Varlomov might be first star today after letting in 6

118. Lucinius says:

RNH can’t buy a goal, bah!

119. leadfarmer says:

The scary thing about this team is the top line is fighting the puck and are all near PPG. When they hit their stride they will make some noise

120. spoiler says:

Was that 5 out of 6 shifts with the top 2 lines going back to before the PP?

121. VanOil says:

leadfarmer,

We all thought Kruger was joking when he said 25 more times. He is on pace.

122. spoiler says:

leadfarmer:
    worst drop back pass ever

Hemsky lost the handle. He was setting up for Gags to cross in behind him and when Gags cut the other way couldn’t pull it back in to go cross ice to Gagner.

spoiler:
    Was that 5 out of 6 shifts with the top 2 lines going back to before the PP?

It was pretty funny, like a loop.

Crap. Belanger down and Horcoff down. We need a center, a veteran center.

125. VanOil says:

oh oh, can Chechoo play center?

126. leadfarmer says:

Damn, Down another center. Lander working his way up the lineup.

127. Hayek says:

Crap. Belanger down and Horcoff down. We need a center, a veteran center.

Part of the plan……..let’s add McKinnen to the team!

128. Lucinius says:

Welcome Anton Lander, the 3rd line center of the Edmonton Oilers.

Just what we needed, if Belanger is hurt. No Horcoff or Belanger? Ouch.

129. spoiler says:

Lowetide: It was pretty funny, like a loop.

It might have been 5 out of 5. Was just covering my ass in case I missed one.

130. leadfarmer says:

Dubnyk looking calm in net. Cant believe just two years ago he was even with Deslauriers aka Flounder.

spoiler: It might have been 5 out of 5. Was just covering my ass in case I missed one.

132. Kris11 says:

Try Hall at center?

133. Rebilled says:

Yes! Yakupov is channelling demons!

134. spoiler says:

Yak covering the point, good Lad.

135. LMHF#1 says:

COUGHARNOTTCOUGH

136. leadfarmer says:

Hall, when he gains another 20 lbs that will be goal of the year.

137. spoiler says:

Bela Lugosi back after a fright.

138. VanOil says:

Yak is showing a little venom with the body check the last few games. Like he did in Jr. If this continues we might here the end of our top 6 being soft.

139. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I like Ralph, he’s not predictable. Don’t know the rotation in that sequence either but it was a pretty simple dance.

He really seems to mess with expectations on the shift after a penalty…whether it was a PK or a PP. And he’s been doing it for a few games. Just one of the things that scoring depth gives you the ability to do.

140. Lucinius says:

Decent road period, imo, especially since its an early afternoon game. Hemsky is looking good so far today. So are a lot of Oilers, but that first line… such a frustrating line to watch, as its basically watching a trio a few centimeters from perfection in the offensive zone. Tease line.

Other than the penalties (heh) and some very questionable decisions in the d-zone.. liking the effort so far. Hopefully Belanger is okay, he’s turned his play around a lot this season.

141. spoiler says:

Lucinius:

Didn’t look too bad on his shift at the end of the period.

142. spoiler says:

Looking at that goal from the view behind the net, I have to ask, how do you stop that?

Looked like a Sharks goal.

And Hemmer with a great sacrifice of the body to make the play.

Dennis King scoring chances Oilers outchance Avs in the first period 8-5; 2-4 ST

144. Lucinius says:

Oilers need to get more shots, but in that period a lot of their shots were such good opportunities to score it reminds you why shot clock can be irrelevant at times.

145. Lucinius says:

spoiler: Didn’t look too bad on his shift at the end of the period.

I hadn’t even noticed he came out for a shift after that, so… that bodes well, hopefully. Of course, we still need Horcoff back as soon as possible. Hell, had hoped he’d be good to go for today.

146. harrigan says:

Ugh. Nice start but RNH STILL cannot hit the net! :<

147. khildahl says:

Far too much 16 on the ice.

148. VanOil says:

We need to show some fight back when some one runs Schultz Jr. It is becoming a thing.

149. Hayek says:

khildahl:
    Far too much 16 on the ice.

Far too much 16 on the bench too….

150. Marc says:

This is the first game of the season that I’ve been able to watch in the evening with beer instead of coffee in the morning.

I’ve gone with Budvar dark lager. Yum.

151. Lucinius says:

Nice moves there by Hemsky.. got himself into trouble.. and then used that sublime skill to get out of it. God how I missed a healthy Hemsky.

Wonderful little play by Nuge on the backcheck there and then Hemsky almost scored and that led to a prolonged period in the Colorado end.

153. BlacqueJacque says:

Was that the fourth line or the third line out there? Hemsky-Lander-Harski. Starting to look like the MacBlender, except it’s mostly due to injuries.

154. khildahl says:

Well, the refs are certainly in mid-season double standard form.

155. spoiler says:

That’s twice this game Belanger has iced the puck a step in front of the red line.

Nice work by Gagner on the PK there, but now Lander takes a penalty and its 3 on 5 for 30 seconds.

157. spoiler says:

There was a trip just like that by the Avs just 3 minutes ago and it went uncalled. But of course they call it when we’re already down a man. Sheesh.

158. striatic says:

khildahl,

Colorado is outplaying the Oilers at home .. they’re going to get PP chances, double standard or not.

159. BlacqueJacque says:

Whoah Smytty watch where you’re batting that puck.

Dubnyk is on fire again. Really nice little run for the big man.

161. Hayek says:

What the fuck is Smid doing? Stay on your feet retard. Hopefully Steve Smith punches him on the bench,

162. khildahl says:

striatic,

They’re legitimate calls, they’re just only being called on one team.

163. jp says:

Wow, Dubnyk massive on that PK!

164. BlacqueJacque says:

You could just see that PK get tired out and complacent. =/

165. spoiler says:

That will go in the books as ES… But not really. Can’t blame Doobie.

Nice goal by the Avs right at the end of the PP. Oilers need to get back on the offensive.

167. Lois Lowe says:

I see the goalposts have moved for the season as now St. Louis is the bastion of sound management. What happened to Dale Tallon?

168. BlacqueJacque says:

Kids have fresh legs and forced icing.

169. spoiler says:

That’s a smart time out by Sacco.

170. khildahl says:

Hemsky’s a force of nature this afternoon.

171. BlacqueJacque says:

Looks like it was a TV break, anyway. This is too long for a timeout. Did he blow it, or did he create a longer timeout?

172. striatic says:

i really like how fistric hits.

very responsible, doesn’t head-hunt, doesn’t take stupid penalties.

I’d like to see the PP really press here, don’t get too fancy.

174. Hayek says:

Stupid Whitney

Well. Oilers down 2-1 in a game where things were looking good. Argh.

176. fuzzy muppet says:

WTF was whitney doing? just fixated on the puck..bah

177. BlacqueJacque says:

Whitney knows he’s slow, so he created a buffer for himself, creating space for Duchene. =/ Not a recipe for success, giving Matt Duchene time and space.

178. Ribs says:

I guess it’s too much to ask Whitney to close his legs on that play. Hah. Poor guy. It happens.

179. Lucinius says:

Sigh, Whitney.

That powerplay needed to score. I like all the moves that first powerplay can pull but at times I feel like screaming “shoot!”

180. Masamax says:

So far the Oil look pretty tired and lazy to my eye, and Whitney just looks slow as usual.

Whitney backed off (as he should have with the PP ending) but once again he could never be where he needed to be; has to be very frustrating for him.

182. khildahl says:

Whitney was in the passing lane, which was the right place to be. He just left a gaping hole for the puck to get through.

183. BlacqueJacque says:

Eberle dishes it to a semi-open Schultz, then notices it’s the wrong Schultz pinching in.

184. spoiler says:

BlacqueJacque:
    Whitney knows he’s slow, so he created a buffer for himself, creating space for Duchene. =/Not a recipe for success, giving Matt Duchene time and space.

185. Marc says:

Masamax:

This is their third game on the road in the last 87 hours. They’re probably a bit tired.

186. khildahl says:

Marc: This is their third game on the road in the last 87 hours.They’re probably a bit tired.

Even so, they’re creating some absolutely obscene scoring chances. No puck luck (familiar refrain).

187. BlacqueJacque says:

spoiler: I think he was unsure whether Hemsky was going to release him, but it’s still a non-decision. Have to step in or drop back. Waiting always kills you.

I was referring to moments before that – when he first bobbled the puck and saw Duchene coming. He turned around and gave himself a lot of distance, not being close enough to actually threaten Duchene with a check, forcing Hemsky to try to catch up with a speeding Duchene.

In all fairness to Whitney, he is faster than he was the first five games. Fast enough to be slow but acceptable in the NHL.

188. Chris says:

The first line needs to come up with a goal at a time like this.

189. Masamax says:

No doubt. But that is going to be the story of this season, and our guys are quite a bit younger than most teams. We need to be using that.

Another thing I’ve noticed is how easily the Avs are gaining the zone, particularly on the power play. They are carrying it in essentially unopposed.

190. spoiler says:

BlacqueJacque: I was referring to moments before that – when he first bobbled the puck and saw Duchene coming.He turned around and gave himself a lot of distance, not being close enough to actually threaten Duchene with a check, forcing Hemsky to try to catch up with a speeding Duchene.

In all fairness to Whitney, he is faster than he was the first five games.Fast enough to be slow but acceptable in the NHL.

Ahh. Yeah, I think Whitney has to re-learn his limits and thus his create new habits, new deciosion-making based on those limits. Gonna struggle till he does.

191. jp says:

khildahl: As has been pointed out elsewhere, St. Louis did tank.

They’re a prime target for offer sheets in the summer.

Well, I think it’s debatable whether St. Louis tanked. Those 3 seasons they finished with 57, 81 and 79 points. The were reasonably competitive in years 2 and 3. Compare that to the Oilers 62, 62 and 74 points. They certainly did benefit from #1 OV and #4 OV draft picks though.

As for the Blues roster. 33M is more than half of next years cap. 11 players is less than half of the roster. There are some big contracts to be handed out, but the majority of those 11 are bottom of the roster types. They should be able to sign everyone they want with some $$ left over. I’m no StL fan, but they are in very good shape.

192. sliderule says:

The oiler number one lone has got to figure how to convert all that great puck control into shots.

They might have to look for defenceman backdooring.

Whatever they are not getting shots.

193. khildahl says:

How does that ref not call that?

Hahaha, Hemsky. That was funny.

195. FPB94 says:

Comments are delayed now? Something happened? Nevermind. Guess the interwebz monster ate it.

196. khildahl says:

Real nice play by Yak there.

197. khildahl says:

What the hell do the Avs have to do to an Oiler for it to be a penalty?

198. striatic says:

this is frustrating.

Oilers need to take advantage in a game like this.

score, dammit.

199. harrigan says:

khildahl:
    What the hell do the Avs have to do to an Oiler for it to be a penalty?

Decapitate someone? Of course, that would at best lead to a two-minute minor or something similarly ludicrous. Not sure what’s wrong with officiating this year. I mean, I know what’s wrong with it. I just don’t have an explanation for it.

Newer Comments »