OILERS AT BLUE JACKETS, G 12 (12-13) 10.2.13

The Edmonton Oilers and Columbus Blue Jackets don’t really have much of a rivalry, they’ve been poor clubs for years and spent their time miles and miles from the playoffs. Columbus made the playoffs one time–2009–with Ken Hitchock as their coach and names like Rick Nash, Kristian Huselius, Manny Malhotra and Jan Hejda leading the way. Since 2000, the year the Jackets entered the league, Edmonton has been in the playoffs three times out of 12 sorties–2001, 2003, 2006–and since then they’ve been at the bottom of the league standings.

About the only time you see the two teams together is at their draft, with their tables often side by side (tables go in draft order) and their choices easily comparable as the years go by:

• 2007: Gagner v Voracek.
  • 2012: Yakupov v Murray.

Long  way to go on both draft years, I’ll take the Oilers pair and consider it a good day but you could certainly make an argument for Voracek over Gagner and the other race is just getting started.

The ninja people have a new toy (thanks to Woodguy for the link and the head’s up) that gives us a look at a player’s usage over his career. Sam Gagner:

pu gagner capture

If it is unreadable click on it and that might help, I think this is an excellent way to look at a player’s usage over several seasons. Gagner has been in the blue (positive) since arriving  but facing easy qual comp and getting (for the most part) good to excellent zone starts. This season the zone starts are more severe and the qual comp is easily the most difficult he’s faced, and we have a rote luftballon. Taylor Hall graph is here, fun toy.

Yesterday the Oilers faced the Red Wings, who feature two of the greatest centermen of the era (Datsyuk, Zetterberg). I heard a lot of talk on the broadcast about faceoff failures, but for me the game showed how far the Oilers are from being able to match up on the road against clubs like Detroit. Gagner-Hemsky are posting CorsiRel numbers that show them struggling, and that line needs to perform at par (imo) in order for the team to make the second season. The Qual comp numbers (and I know its early and we do have to be careful with the qual comp results) show the Hall line is getting the hard matching giant opponents, and his line is also king of CorsiRel.

That’s a concern, folks. I can see why RK moved the rookie off that line (although adding Hall didn’t help to my eye) for the tough road game.

I’m going to be a Krueger fan for a long time. After a loss in Detroit and facing his toughest early test today in Columbus (this team needs a win, in fact an easy win would be grand) the coach had this to say:

• Krueger: “They’re willing to put in the work, and more than anything it’s about learning how to win,” Krueger said. “They’re pushing each other in the right direction and we’re making steps every day.”

Oilers didn’t send Chris VandeVelde back after yesterday’s game, so that means Eric Belanger is not a certainty to play this afternoon in Columbus.

I’m going to have an article up on Theo Peckham at ON later, but I wonder if the Oilers will cut down from their current 8D when he is recalled. Currently the Oilers–with Ryan Jones close and Belanger likely to come off IR today–have this 23-man roster:

1. G Devan Dubnyk
  2. G Nikolai Khabibulin
  3. D Justin Schultz
  4. D Ladislav Smid
  5. D Jeff Petry
  6. D Nick Schultz
  7. D Ryan Whitney
  8. D Corey Potter
  9. D Mark Fistric
  10. D Theo Peckham (on roster, on rehab)
  11. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  12. C Sam Gagner
  13. C Ryan Smyth
  14. C Chris VandeVelde
  15. L Taylor Hall
  16. L Teemu Hartikainen
  17. L Magnus Paajarvi
  18. L Ben Eager
  19. L Darcy Hordichuk (4 games, 2:02 ATOI)
  20. R Ales Hemsky
  21. R Jordan Eberle
  22. R Nail Yakupov
  23. R Lennart Petrell

It is easy to get Eric Belanger (Chris VandeVelde) on the roster, and you could get Ryan Jones back on the roster by sending out Paajarvi. However, he’s averaging 10 minutes a night and playing well. I think moving off one of the defensemen via trade is the better way, and if ST can find a new home for Peckham (or Whitney) then it makes sense to do it now.

Khabibulin was very good yesterday. Credit where due, I guess rehab assignments are overrated.

You’ll see a lot of numbers today, but the important ones are 2.18 (goals per game) and shooting percentage (8%, 24 goals on 300 shots). That number was 9.5 a year ago, meaning the Oilers would have 4 or 5 more goals if the shooting percentage from last season had followed along.

By request, changing the channel.

569 Responses to "OILERS AT BLUE JACKETS, G 12 (12-13) 10.2.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. Captain Obvious says:

This season has been very frustrating. The core is ready. To see them flail away because the supporting cast is full of AHL players, when the AHL itself, the waiver wire, and fifth round draft picks keeps turning up better players than the Oilers have.

It’s time to find freely available talent to replace the terrible talent on the Oilers roster. There is no reason that people like VDV and Hordichuk, let alone Petrell and Potter, should be chewing up roster space on this team.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

And it is to be devoutly wished that Morey Gare and Co. are in town scouting Fedor Tyutin and offering him delicious Russian pastries and a brand new Lada.

3 for 1! 3 for 1! More Russians!

3. Captain Obvious says:

Tyutin would be fantastic. Of course, it would take real talent to get him back which would open up other holes. We still need to add more depth via freely available talent.

4. RMGS says:

It was just one game, but I’m hoping the coach goes back to his original top two lines. I see the allure of changing things up on the road, and perhaps they’ll develop the versatility to do it with results. In the meantime, let RNH-Eberle-Hall loose on Columbus and let’s hope Gagner-Yakupov-Hemsky pick up some PP points.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m pretty sure KL bowed out to find a burrito somewhere.

6. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Captain Obvious:
    Tyutin would be fantastic.Of course, it would take real talent to get him back which would open up other holes.We still need to addmore depth via freely available talent.

It really depends on what Columbus wants… and I don’t just mean in a trade. that Org. is without their franchise guy now with Nash gone… they have to be questioning the meaning of life going forward.

They might be prime to offload experience for another crack at a rebuild in which case a bundle of prospects, picks and spare parts might work.

The benefit of the trade is you get a guy under contract, so there’s some stability and the market is potentially endless.

With free agency you are at the whims of who’s available and the high asking price.

Plus I don’t know if we want to wait until 14-15 to sign Bouwmeester :)

Romulus Apotheosis:
    I’m pretty sure KL bowed out to find a burrito somewhere.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Love Tyutin.

I’m pretty sure that’s the article that put the idea in my head… got buried in there.

using the new toy:

looks like in 2008 he basically killed the world. that bubble is insane!

but he’s had trouble since then… I don’t know if that means he’s hit the wall and is sliding back down to earth, or is simply a sign of playing for a crappy team and all that comes with it (or both).

I imagine guys want out of teams like Columbus desperately until they consign themselves to fate and malaise.

maybe he comes to the Oil and goes all Phoenix on us (the bird, not the city or yotes)

9. jonrmcleod says:

10. DBO says:

Still want more vets and want to give Cheechoo a shot, but I digress. I actually would love to see, on the road, MPS n the 2nd line. He would add some own zone responsibility and still bring speed. Then you move Hall back to top line, and Harski on the 4th with Yak. They could cause some havoc on other 4ht lines, and both wold see PP time.

Hall-Nuge-Ebserle
    MPS-Gagner-Hemsky
    Smyth-Belanger-PEtrell
    Harski-Vandevelde-Yakupov

Horc comes back you maybe just put him with Yak and Harski, and when Jones comes back you sit Petrell. Gives you some options with Petrell and Eager as reserves. And yes, they need to move a dman and soon.

11. steveb12344 says:

Most of you were predicting a non playoff team this year anyways. A record of 4/4/3 with a very winnable game against CBJ today is really not that bad, and shouldn’t be too out of line with preseason expectations.

Most of the questions coming in surrounded the G and D positions. The G has been mostly outstanding, and the D, while it has issues that need to be addressed. It hasn’t really been any worse than we thought it would be, and isn’t really the problem either.

The real problem has been the scoring slump from Nuge’s line. 6 of the 7 loses were very close, and could have went either way.I’d even go as far as to say the rest of the team has performed better than expected.(with exception of maybe 6,16,though expectations were not that high for either anyways)

Through 32 combined games 4,14,93 have scored 5 goals. Coincidentally the same number as Yak. If the chances weren’t coming i’d be very concerned. But there have been many in most games and the kids have just been snakebitten. It happens.

As those Vollman graphs show,(love those btw, thx for that LT) the kids are facing by far thier toughest comps thus far, and still coming out with thier heads well above water. It’s only a matter of time before they start burying more of those chances. When this happens those extra goals will start to translate into more wins in these close games, and things will start looking better.

Not sure if it will be enough to get us to the dance this year, but i love the direction things are going and really hope they stay the course. We’ve suffered through a lot to get us to where we are today and i look forward to the time we can finally say it was all worth it.

12. spoiler says:

Could someone let me know when RNH can hit the net again from 10 feet out?

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: The best part of that is MacT isn’t even in the photo. Tambellini and Lowe can’t wait to get to Detroit to smell the Red Wing upholstery, but MacT’s down the line looking to get better.

My favorite part actually was Millen’s groaner joke about how women don’t know how to use remotes.

the series of thoughts going through my head:

-are you saying these jokers are feminine?
    -could this bad joke come at time that makes less sense when paired with objective reality?
    -is it the 50s?
    -how long until the “… take my wife… please take her!” line comes out?
    -how many couples pissed about losing the game now have something else to argue about?
    -can anyone else hear the voice in Mark Lee’s head going: “this shit is going to get us fired from CBC, we don’t have the legacy pull of Grapes… shut the hell up about women you ass Millen!”

jonrmcleod:

Jon: yes. Blue is good-positive. Red is bad-negative. The bigger the balloon the more positive or negative.

15. DBO says:

Fistric draws in according to Fistric in pre game skate interview. Probably Potter out I would assume. Columbus has some toughness, so expect Eager in. Also, Vandevelde also sent back down, so Belanger in and Smyth stays at centre.

DBO:
    Fistric draws in according to Fistric in pre game skate interview.Probably Potter out I would assume. Columbus has some toughness, so expect Eager in. Also, Vandevelde also sent back down, so Belanger in and Smyth stays at centre.

I’m fine with all of that. Wonder when they make the Peckham decision.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jonrmcleod: In the Sam Gagner graph above, what do the size and color of he circles represent? Is there an explanation somewhere?

LT’s image capture doesn’t do the new toy justice (no disrespect)

if you hover your cursor over each bubble you get a bunch of extra info (i.e., what goes into placing that bubble, its color and size there).

this toy is a marvel!

18. DBO says:

8 dmen is overkill, especially since 2 (potter and peckham) are AHL calibre, and one (Whitney) is a shadow of his old self. If they can add a RH two way dman with decent skills and off load Whitney and one of the other dmen then I would say job well done Tambellini.

And MPS and Harski have earned full time NHL employment, but they are the only two AHL eligible who can go down and not hit waivers (other then top line, and they are not going down). Petrell is not good enough to stay, and when Jones is back he can move on or ride pine. I’d sooner have Harski then Eager, especially if Fistric plays (then at least we have one tough hombre in the lineup).

Still hope for Boyle from the Rangers. Adds our missing ingredients and makes us younger and better all in one.

19. DBO says:

And wow, looks like my D predictions yesterday came true. Fistric with Petry, Smid with Potter. I think it is a smart move for sure.

20. jonrmcleod says:

I hear it’s possible Yakupov could play with Eberle and RNH today.

21. DBO says:

And Principe saying Krueger mentioned Yak may play with Nuge and Ebs. Well, i guess they are tinkering, at least he isn’t sitting around. Better hope Hall gains some chemistry with Gagner and Hemsky and soon.

22. spoiler says:

I think I have been saying since the luftballon of Hall with Gagner and Hemmer was first floated on these pages that it would be SUICIDAL on the road. Rote indeed.

23. sliderule says:

Someone on hockey night panel commented that oiler centers have to cheat more if they want to fix FO percentage.he said all the good FO guys do it.
    Makes sense to me as I have seen the Nuge not even move his stick and the puck is gone.

24. Captain Obvious says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

The time to trade for a guy like Tyutin is in the offseason when the Blue Jackets are pressured by their internal salary cap. The offseason is where those kinds of steals are made.

25. DBO says:

As per Principe:

Yakupov-RNH-Eberle,
    Hall-Gagner-Hemsky,
    Hartikainen-Belanger-Paajarvi
    ,Eager-Smyth-Petrell,
    Schultz-Schultz
    ,Smid-Potter,
    Fistric-Petry
    and Dubnyk

And Petry gets some PP time as per Krueger

26. jonrmcleod says:

sliderule,

I believe that was Glenn Healy. But I wouldn’t quote him even when he’s right.

27. Nostradumbass says:

I struggle with the concept that MPS is now considered an NHL player

He can do everything you would want from a bottom 6 role player except score, add physicality, take faceoffs or be a defensive specialist.

If the Oilers were serious about being a playoff team they would have players like Harti and MPS in the minors as injury relief for actual NHL players.

Instead we are going to waste countless NHL minutes trying to piggyback these guys over the complete line

28. cabbiesmacker says:

Wonder if Dithers has poked fingers at Colorado? I’d do Gagner for O”Reilly in a trice. It would create so much more latitude for this top 6. He would promptly be put on my #1 with Eberle and Hall.

And…I have Warren Zevon’s Carmelita all cued up and ready to go if this game doesn’t yield “real” positive results.

Surely the Oilers can’t be wallowing down the standings with CBJ again. Can they? I’m looking at the Western Conference for 13 teams we’re “For sure better than” going hmmmmm.

29. FastOil says:

Captain Obvious:

Lottery pick?

30. Captain Obvious says:

Nostradumbass:
    I struggle with the concept that MPS is now considered an NHL player

This is so wrong there are no words to capture the wrongness.

First, Paajarvi is a great skater. If he never improves at all he is a quality NHL player easily good enough to play on any third line in the league.

Second, physicality and taking faceoffs are, or should, be irrelevant to the evaluation of what constitutes an NHL hockey player. They are of vanishing significance in comparison to what Paajarvi brings to the table: speed, reasonable puck skills, at least average positioning.

Paajarvi is a much, much, better hockey player than his competitors on the Oilers for ice time, Petrell, Eager, Hordichuk, and Jones. It isn’t particularly close. I also prefer him to Smyth, who doesn’t look to me like he can keep up anymore, though I’m willing to be convinced otherwise.

Speed kills. Nothing is more important than speed.

31. Ben says:

cabbiesmacker:

I’m guessing they sign O’Reilly and move Stastny – a guy who, for whatever reason, seems to have fallen off the cliff. Though I’m not sure who’s willing to take on that cap (6.6!) for 2013-14.

Keep Gagner. Oilers are primed to make an “OW”-type move.

32. cabbiesmacker says:

Ben: Where would Gagner slot in for COL? Unless they want to move him to the wing, I don’t really see a fit.

Keep Gagner.Oilers are primed to make an “OW”-type move.

Lots of room for Gagner in Col. Wing or C with O’Reilly gone. The money each will be commanding should be similar and if so I like O”Reilly more over the long term as better bang for the buck.

Gagner should be a winger here too.

33. rickithebear says:

Romulus Apotheosis: using the new toy:

I Finally get it:

Corsi is like the Econ Class widget
    some kind offake manufactured item. with no basis in reality.
    So many of you are good widget men. ;)

LT your site for ever more,
    Alan Mitchell and The Widgets
    it fits the many themes i Enjoy!
    Corsi not so much. (no forced laugh)

34. bookjLe says:

Understanding of Rickithebear difficult often to know what he is speaking too.

35. Ribs says:

Okay, I had to do it…. Poor Guy

36. Ribs says:

Interesting that Whitney’s QOC is way up from last season. Other teams targeting him? Or Krueger using him differently?

37. Romulus Apotheosis says:

rickithebear: I Finally get it:

Corsi is like the Econ Class widget
    some kind offake manufactured item. with no basis in reality.
    So many of you are good widget men.

LT your site for ever more,
    Alan Mitchell and The Widgets
    it fits the many themes i Enjoy!
    Corsi not so much. (no forced laugh)

there’s a lot more going on in those graphs than just corsi (if that is your particular bugaboo)

are we not men?

38. sliderule says:

Columbus has a really big team.This is the type of team we usually struggle against.

On a back to back against a big team if we win it will show something about this team.

If we don’t win I will start looking forward to. Draft.

39. Amadeus says:

Datsyuk is a gem. It’s a good thing he gives Detroit size up the middle. Imagine if he was Gagner’s size…

40. Ribs says:

Interesting stuff. Pretty big increases in difficulty for QOC and Zone Starts for both guys.

41. Jesse says:

I didn’t see the game yesterday — just watched the highlights — but it seemed like Smid was particularly pissed off after the first goal. Seems like he said, “F***ing Bullsh*t”. He was right on his backside with a front row seat, did he think it was a soft goal because it went under Khabi’s pad? Or was he upset about the penalty call on Whitney in the first place? I don’t mean to read too much into it but it seemed like the Hall “why did we pull the goalie” moment last year in how telling it might have been.

42. jonrmcleod says:

Paajarvi scored 15 goals as a rookie without a ridiculous shooting percentage (8.3%). The kid can obviously play. I think he might be lacking confidence, though. If I were running the Oilers, I’d tell him he’s staying in the NHL the entire season. I don’t think he’s going to hurt the team, and eventually I think some of his shots eventually start going in the net.

43. sliderule says:

Jesse
    I think Smid felt he had been picked

44. jfry says:

Jesse,

At the time there was some talk about Whitney’s penalty being kinda soft. I believe Bruce called it “a phantom elbow” on twitter.

45. icecastles says:

Ales Hemsky. Sam Gagner. Taylor Hall. Jordan Eberle. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Nail Yakupov. Justin Schultz. Ladislav Smid. Jeff Petry. The Oilers are not a playoff team.
    One of these things doesn’t jive.

I recognize that the core is very young. But we’re not talking about whether this team is a cup contender. We’re talking about if they are as good as at least half the teams in the conference. And young or not, it is hard to justify the notion that with the above noted players, the Oilers should not even be expected to make the playoffs.

We’ve heard in at least two or three interviews with Tambellini that acquiring necessary parts “isn’t easy.” I get the sentiment, and he’s not wrong. But the word “easy” should never, ever be one that escapes the lips of a man in a position such as his. It reminds me of a comment Buchberger made after the Detroit game when commenting on the failure of the powerplay to produce. “They didn’t give us a chance to set up.” These statements (semantics perhaps, but words mean something) echo each other: we didn’t do it because someone else didn’t make it easy for us to do it.

The holes that exist on this team have existed for a very long time. In a scorched earth policy perhaps you don’t want to be filling them two or three years ago. But you take that time to work on ways that will allow you to address them when the time comes. Last year the declared intention was to make the playoffs. They finished 29th in the league. That is a failure.

I see no plan by management on the growth and improvement of this team. A goal (follow the Detroit/Chicago model, be a contender by year X) is not a plan. Their first #1 selection was, by the admission of management, completely unintended. Yakupov came to them after a year they intended to make the playoffs. Justin Schultz was a gift from the heavens. The acquisitions that have made this team better have been incredible luck, if you want to call it that. The acquisitions to fill in around these margins have either not happened at all, or been marginal to complete busts.

We as Oilers fans have become so complacent, so accepting of failure and mediocrity, that we are looking at the team’s current performance (and yes, there has been some bad luck that will balance out as the season progresses) as perfectly reasonable. Last year’s 29th place finish was not reflective of where we or management thought the team could be. But like Whitney’s feet, we have quickly accepted “80% as the new 100%”. With Eberle and Hall in their third years, the rebuild in its fourth year and potentially a seventh year out of the playoffs, we need to start taking enough pride in our team and expecting enough of them that when Tamby says a deal “isn’t easy” or Bucky saying “they didn’t let us set up”, we call bullshit.

This isn’t a 29th place team. It’s not a non-playoff team. Not unless complacency and familiarity let them be. Expect better. Demand better.

46. Jesse says:

jfry,

Oh cool ok. Thanks.

47. Amadeus says:

Plante and a 5th get it done?

Amadeus:
    Plante and a 5th get it done?

I’d love to see him in Edmonton.

49. spoiler says:

sliderule:
    Jesse
    I think Smid felt he had been picked

That was my impression too.

50. wordbird says:

Amadeus:
    Plante and a 5th get it done?

As is David Steckel (6’6″ center, 58% FO last season). Chris Campoli D, still UFA ( 440 NHL games). better pieces are out there, if a smart GM were looking.

51. Lucinius says:

Amadeus,

MacT’s dead body.

52. Gret99zky says:

icecastles,

Turn to page 44 in your math text and look at the graphs again. If you continue to avoid doing your homework by watching the games you are bound to keep forming opinions like this.

geez.

53. RMGS says:

icecastles:

Thing is they’ve often LOOKED better in segments, but most numbers suggest they haven’t made that quantifiable leap and consequently still kinda suck (negative Corsi, out-chanced every game, etc.). What may have been with another top-six D and tough minutes winger (and without the injuries) we’ll just have to keep on asking.

Ralph Krueger’s problem: “Looking at the last seven games, we’ve only has 12 goals against in regular time. There’s not much to criticize when you look at goaltending and basic defensive structure. It’s the offence we need to initiate — which we thought would be our last challenge. We’ve had (13) goals for in regulation time in the last seven games. We’ll take the defensive number but we cannot accept the offensive number.”

From Joanne Ireland who needs to find twitter. She’s running circles around the boys but no one I know is reading it.

55. Gret99zky says:

Lowetide: I’d love to see him in Edmonton.

Why do like upsetting the fanbase so much?

56. Clay says:

It will be very interesting to see how Dubnyk performs. Over the previous two season, Dubnyk was at his best when Khabby was hurt or out of the lineup. I think the absence of the “lose and you’re out” pressure allows him to play a more relaxed game. When Renney was going back and forth between the two based on their most recent performance, he struggled.

I’m sure RK has told Dubnyk that he’s their guy, but you have to wonder, with Khabby’s solid showing yesterday, if DD will be dealing with a bit of self-imposed pressure.

If he plays well, there’s no issue. If he has a shaky game, well, let’s just hope he plays well!

Also, watch the first Oilers PP, and see if Columbus just lines up four across the blue line. Starting with the last SJ game, every team they’ve played has been doing this to great effect. If CBJ doesn’t, they need to do something about their advanced scouting. If they do do it, then it will be interesting to see if the kids adjust and employ a dump and chase.

The Oilers are simply due a big offensive game. For years, Edmonton was a place where teams came to cure what ailed them – let’s hope Columbus is that place now…

57. Clay says:

…meaning the Oilers would have 4 or 5 more goals if the shooting percentage from last season had followed along.

Five of Edmonton’s 7 loses are by 1 goal (obviously the 3 extra time loses plus 2 others). How far does four extra goals go?

If they were at the right time, then how would a 7-3-1 start sound? I know, it’s a fools exercise to project that, but still, a few extra goals and we’re talking about how well the team is doing.

58. Gret99zky says:

jonrmcleod:

This may just be another case of other teams not yet having the book on said player. Sophmore slumps have more to do with other teams due diligence and preparedness than a new player losing his skills, IMO. We see the same thing happening with the Nuge this year.

59. Southern Oil says:

Well the 40 year old Russian is getting some good press following yesterday’s game. ESPN (I don’t read them much) has an article up which is not particularly interesting except for the last line from Chris Osgood. He says there will be a market for Khabby at the deadline if he is not being used. That would be a pleasant surprise I would think + would make it less likely the Oilers’ brass sign him to another year contract.

60. Ryan says:

I was one of the few here who didn’t have their shorts in a knot when Smyth wanted to trade himself to Edmonton. Even LT was on that wagon. Love the memories of 94, but the price of nostalgia is looking pretty high.
    Poor Smytty doesn’t seem to have much in the tank.
    Curious that Krueger is keeping Hall on the Gagner line… Might as well give it some time to gel, I guess.
    Yak with Nuge. Nuge has hands of stone so far, but looks to be doing some great defensive work.

Go Oilers, clap clap.

61. Captain Happy says:

Clay:

Five of Edmonton’s 7 loses are by 1 goal (obviously the 3 extra time loses plus 2 others).How far does four extra goals go?

If they were at the right time, then how would a 7-3-1 start sound?I know, it’s a fools exercise to project that, but still, a few extra goals and we’re talking about how well the team is doing.

Based on their 29th place finish in shots/game last season and their 20th place finish in goals/game, that is likely the case.

Also worth noting is the shot differential this season is -6.2 while last season it was -4.0.

Perhaps a game against Columbus is just what the doctor ordered.

62. Captain Happy says:

Gret99zky: This may just be another case of other teams not yet having the book on said player.Sophmore slumps have more to do with other teams due diligence and preparedness than a new player losing his skills, IMO.We see the same thing happening with the Nuge this year.

Very good point.

You also have to remember that Paajarvi, due to injuries, had the second most TOI among all Oilers forwards in his rookie season and will never get that kind of ice time again.

63. cabbiesmacker says:

Amadeus:

Or dream that Gagner was even half the player?

Really bad player comparison outside of size. Cue the Martin St Louis, Yvan Cournoyer similarities next?

64. refmaksy says:

spoiler,

Shoulder must be a real mess, another shoulder surgery in the near future for the 4H Shoulder Club: Horcoff, Hemsky, Hall and now Hopkins.

65. refmaksy says:

Watching the last three losses, the two things that strike me most is that No One is going to the difficult area in front of the net to work for those dirty goals, and this team needs to shoot more.

66. fifthcartel says:

I consider Whitney a healthy scratch a win itself.

67. loosemoose says:

Captain Happy,

I don’t know why you keep saying he will never see that much ice time again….

He got it because of injuries, and this is the Oilers we are talking about, and he was a ROOKIE when he got it.

What makes you think injuries could not put him in the same position some time down the road?

I’m not sure why performing well under those circumstances is a negatve, as it seems like more of a personal thing….

That being said, I too have some unfounded hate for players based on draft status and treatment, so……carry on;)

68. icecastles says:

fifthcartel: I consider Whitney a healthy scratch a win itself.

I picture air quotes around “healthy” whenever I see someone mention Whitney as an HS.

Rieder in his last 12GP: 14-6-20. Nice.

70. voxwah says:

Nik IS rehab LT!

71. maudite says:

Player usage as well no? Down the stretch was it not Horc – PVR – Omark for a chunk of games? Didn’t Omark and PVR put up decent offense in that stretch…? Pretty sure PVR’s linemates, usage had a great deal to do with that. He’s been rag-dolled around ever since. They are doing a very ugly thing developing this guy.

72. Bruce McCurdy says:

jfry:
    Jesse,

I called it that in my game grades post too. I watched every angle of that replay and near as I can tell Brunner was picked off by a sniper on press row.

Btw, I saw more than enough of Brunner in the Spengler Cup. Buddy is a fucking weasel.

73. Zack says:

As much as I respect Hordi and the job he does he really seems to be eating up a roster spot. If he dresses today, he may fight Dorsett sp* but in all honesty we need a solid winger 3rd liner even that can contribute more than just a couple minutes a game. A Hartnell/Downie/Brouwer type forward. In a perfect world the Oilers would also have a Landeskog in the mix, the player doesn’t have to necessarily fight but throw his weight around and back it up if he needs too.

Our Khaira, Moroz and Zarkhov are still many moons away.

74. Captain Happy says:

loosemoose:
    Captain Happy,

I don’t know why you keep saying he will never see that much ice time again….

If the player who is getting the second most TOI in a season can only manage 15 goals, 34 points and -13, might be time to go looking for an upgrade, no?

Jon: That’s excellent, thanks for passing it along. His PK ability alone is going to get him chances.

76. speeds says:

Also interesting that it sounds like the Oilers requested the move to C.

77. Bruce McCurdy says:

78. Lewis Grant says:

steveb12344: I’m with LT. No need to panic at all.Actually i think all things considered, things are going quite well.

Weren’t we supposed to fly out of the gate because most of our guys were in game shape? And because most of our guys had played well in other leagues? And because Hall-RNH-Eberle-Schultz already had chemistry together?

I think a fast start was essential if we were going to be in the race for the final playoff spot (which I thought was possible). It hasn’t really happened.

Remember, last year we started 6-2-2. We still ended up 29th overall.

Bruce McCurdy: https://twitter.com/jirelandEJ

okay, rephrase: why doesn’t she tweet her own stories? :-)

80. icecastles says:

Amadeus: Penner another healthy scratch. What would it take to get him to solidify our top 9?

This is pretty telling from RK:

“We’re trying to find three sets of D we can roll against the opposition, especially for road game situations”

Smid and Petry haven’t been at the same level as last year and are contributing to the black hole of shot differential of the 89-83, and the 3rd pair has been, well a 3rd pair.

RK also says:

“Smid and Petry have had so many games together the last few years … sometimes it’s a bit of a refreshment for them,” said head coach Ralph Krueger.”

“Jeff didn’t play during the lockout and he is still finding his final product on the ice. We’d like to get him a little more involved in the offence.”

Hopefully 2 can play his way out of it.

The Oilers need 2-5 to out shoot the competition, along with 64-89-83

82. loosemoose says:

Captain Happy,

Upgrade?

Your team, which wasn’t great to begin with, is decimated by injuries and a ROOKIE puts up 15 goals, 34 points and is only -13 on a last place team, you might want to develop, not upgrade.

But maybe that’s just me.

83. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: okay, rephrase: why doesn’t she tweet her own stories?

Oh right, she tweets the quote but not the link to her story about it. I got that from the Journal’s twitter feed, now that I think about it.

84. rickithebear says:

Captain Happy: On the flip side of the coin, perhaps last year’s shooting percentage was an anomaly.

Perhaps?

Now that there is Nija’s shot search:
    there is no such thing as an equal shot.
    Corsi has a frame of reference.
    Distribition is reflective of the players and luck stands out.

So you threw it out there. Support it!

85. Kris11 says:

Everyone under the sun, even none hockey professionals, knew they needed a Dman before the season to make the playoffs, but not friggin Tambellini, whom is proving to be Macllean and Milbury bad, (Unless you think bad is good, and Tambellini has been good at icing bad teams, jist like the NYI and Atlanta. Tank, tank, tank, BOOM Stanley Cup. Or tank, tank, tank, OH CRAP, we’re NYI but worse.)

86. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: The Oilers need 2-5 to out shoot the competition, along with 64-89-83

See:
    Eberle, Jordon

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Captain Obvious:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

In that case, let’s just hope Gare is their doing some diligence.

DSF skit

“I’ve told you once!”

One of the great non sequitur opening lines!

also… classic Python to have some pretty tart wandering around in the background!

I’ve often assumed this too…

and then I think… this argument doesn’t make sense regarding such a long sample size. Teams ought to be able to clue into a player’s strengths/weaknesses sooner than that… surely?

I mean in an average baseball game most hitters have figured out a pitcher (even a fresh rookie) by the 3rd or 4th at bat… after which “novelty” ought to be ruled out and “performance” ought to be the deciding factor.

88. BONVIE says:

Lowetide: I’d love to see him in Edmonton.

Yes me too.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Kris11: Everyone under the sun, even none hockey professionals, knew they needed a Dman before the season to make the playoffs, but not friggin Tambellini,

fistric…

but yea… not nearly enough.

90. Nostradumbass says:

Captain Obvious,

I’m not arguing in regards to the rest of Edmontons shitty bottom 6 nor am I speculating on Magnus’s future upside although I’m willing to bet its not much higher than a Jason Chimera type player.

I’m arguing that MPS is not an NHLthird liner right now and he’s not

He scored 8 points in half a season of work last year and shows no signs on improving on that this year.

If you think his current play warrants third line minutes then you obviously enjoy watching other teams in May

91. Bruce McCurdy says:

Romulus Apotheosis: “I’ve told you once!”
    One of the great non sequitur opening lines!

Brilliant. I have always loved that sketch. Cleese nails it in the first four words.

rickithebear: while it is admirable to desire to outshoot the other team. give me players who generate shots in the Kill zone so we get the real measure of the game. GOALS.

See:
    Eberle, Jordon

I’d like 14 to stop passing when he has a shot.

His shot rate was awesome out of the gate and was on pace for 350 shots in a regular season, up with the elite scores.

Now he ‘s down being on pace for 250 shots in a 82 game season.

I would still rather have more “low percentage” shots than no shots.

The puck going towards the opposition goal rarely results in bad things, and sometimes in very good things.

I still like to count shots, all attempted shots because its the best proxy for puck possession we have and the correlations with Corsi to Scoring Chances and Winning Games has been shown to be high.

Think of it this way.

Let’s say we are grading to sharp shooters.

Here is Player 1′s target: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/woodguy/shooter1.jpg

Here is Player 2′s target: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/woodguy/shooter2.jpg

If you are just counting bulleyes (goals), then both players are equal.

If you look at both targets, you *know* that player 1 is superior.

93. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bruce McCurdy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Speaking of Cleese…

maybe this is what LT was like the other night when he threatened that tree…. seething with anger and wildly shaking his fist at the serenity of the natural world around him… “how dare they not participate in his rage!”

of course… Mrs. LT soothes things over with a cuppa!

94. ASkoreyko says:

Captain Happy: I guess if the Oilers lose 4 of their wingers all at the same time, it could happen.

Also I like how you chose to state Total TOI as it implies that MPS was getting pure 1st line minutes all year long. I have never seen anyone look at and compare TOI like that before, the stat itself is calculated on a per game basis.

MPS is a work in progress and I believe that Krueger out of any coach the Oilers have had will be able to help MPS find his game in the NHL. If it doesn’t work out then so be it, you can’t agonize over things that happened in the past (unless of course your intention is troll a clearly passionate fan base).

95. slopitch says:

If you can get O’Reily for Gagner, you do it in a heartbeat.

96. jp says:

FFS, he played 15:23 per game in 10-11. That’s 3rd line ice time, 7th in TOI/Game among forwards. He was 2nd in total minutes played mostly because he stayed healthy (though he obviously did get some extra minutes due to others injuries).

You and everyone else here knows that 15G and 34Pts from a 3rd line player will fly on any team. For the +/-, no -13 is not good, but he was a rookie on a team that had 11 players at -10 or worse. Not sure I see any issue with that.

97. Gret99zky says:

Lewis Grant: Weren’t we supposed to fly out of the gate because most of our guys were in game shape?And because most of our guys had played well in other leagues?And because Hall-RNH-Eberle-Schultz already had chemistry together?

This is part of what led to unreasonable expectations. As did the word “healthy”.

98. Ribs says:

99. Gret99zky says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

100. bookjLe says:

Kris11:
    Everyone under the sun, even none hockey professionals, knew they needed a Dman before the season to make the playoffs, but not friggin Tambellini, whom is proving to be Macllean and Milbury bad.

Everyone also knew they needed a better starting goalie and that Khabibulin could not hack it as a backup goalie. There was also a great deal of certainty that Belanger was useless.

While I would have liked to have seen a slightly better 8th d-man than Fistric, the news on Whitney was apparently quite good – the only problem is they were only looking at his feet and not his head which seems to be a mess right now. Peckham was also looking to challange to be a factor in the defence, but ‘something’ went wrong there and he is in OKC. Smid and Petry have started this season down a level from where they were at last year.

I would like to see the team pick up a top four defenceman, but I would not want to see them pay too dearly for it.

101. Captain Happy says:

ASkoreyko: MPS outperformed your pick this year (Granlund) in his rookie season so far so I find your statement a little hard to take.

If you prefer:

MPS 2010/11
    P/60 – 1.36

Granlund 2012/13
    P/60 – 1.44

Now, I would think most observers would agree Granlund has been a little underwhelming but it’s still early and the Wild, in general, have been struggling so far.

I expect by the end of this season things could look a little different.

102. bookjLe says:

I also would be just fine with the team picking up Penner as a thrid liner with room to move up the roster. Clearly, the guy has some issues with something, but he is a useful player.

He may have gotten his ‘second opinion’ now and could be happy to come back to Edmonton.

As someone mentioned Ralph Krueger might get more out of him than some other coaches have.

103. Gret99zky says:

icecastles: Have to think that given his apparent history of issues with coaches, Kreuger could have the best shot at getting something out of him. Penner seems to respond to the carrot much better than he does to the stick. Sadly, he’s mostly been treated with the latter whenever his production has lagged.

carrot pancakes?

104. Ducey says:

Ribs: Same refs as yesterday. Hope the Corey Power Potter Play is ready to do something this game.

Aw, #@#%!

Absolutely brutal calls yesterday.

105. Bruce McCurdy says:

Penner will score more goals with a stick than a carrot.

Yes. The Oilers need a defensemen.

In the UFA market last summer, that defenseman would cost over $5 million dollars per season (Wideman’s contract). Garrison took a discount to play in Vancouver. What would Hall and Eberle have been asking for them?

In the trade market last summer, Hjallmarsson would have cost Gagner. Fix one hole, open another.

Mark Streit is a UFA this coming summer. Patience. I’m sure the Oilers are working the Islanders to get them to do a Streit for Whitney plus type of deal for a player they will lose during the summer, and to get a free look at Whitney.

A solution to solve the problem of one more good defenseman was just too costly last summer.

Ryan O’Reilly has turned down 2 years at $3.5 million per season, the same deal Matt Duschene got. He wants over $5 million per season on a long term deal. At that price, although he is a good and desirable player, he would not be value for money.

107. bookjLe says:

godot10,

Edmonton is also a more attractive destination this summer than it was last summer. Free agents with a 2-3 year timeframe will start considering Edmonton a viable place to play.

108. raventalon40 says:

bookjLe:
    I also would be just fine with the team picking up Penner as a thrid liner with room to move up the roster.Clearly, the guy has some issues with something, but he is a useful player.

I’m a big Penner fan.

godot10:

Ryan O’Reilly has turned down 2 years at $3.5 million per season, the same deal Matt Duschene got.He wants over $5 million per season on a long term deal.At that price, although he is a good and desirable player, he would not be value for money.

I wonder if he just wants out of Colorado? I mean, he’s behind Stastny and Duchene on the depth chart but some may argue he has the highest ceiling of the 3 centers.

109. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: I’d like 14 to stop passing when he has a shot.

Now he ‘s down being on pace for 250 shots in a 82 game season.

I would still rather have more “low percentage” shots than no shots.

Think of it this way.

Let’s say we are grading to sharp shooters.

If you are just counting bulleyes (goals), then both players are equal.

If you look at both targets, you *know* that player 1 is superior.

Superior?

Player 1: 1 Goal in 19 shots
    Player 2: 1 goal in 6 shots

Sir remember target area is the net.
    This variable is not addressed.

Release location is more reflective of procession.

110. Clay says:

godot10:
    Yes.The Oilers need a defensemen.

In the UFA market last summer, that defenseman would cost over $5 million dollars per season (Wideman’s contract).Garrison took a discount to play in Vancouver.What would Hall and Eberle have been asking for them?

In the trade market last summer,Hjallmarsson would have cost Gagner.Fix one hole, open another.

Mark Streit is a UFA this coming summer.Patience.I’m sure the Oilers are working the Islanders to get them to do a Streit for Whitney plus type of deal for a player they will lose during the summer, and to get a free look at Whitney.

The Voice of Reason :)

Another player on the market this summer – Ryan Clowe. Top of the wish list.

rickithebear,

Superior?
    Player 1: 1 Goal in 19 shots
    Player 2: 1 goal in 6 shots
    Sir remember target area is the net.

So Tom Sestito is the best player in the NHL?

112. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gret99zky: I have always believed that hockey is different than baseball. Despite what the math says.

just an analogy… besides the feared “sophomore slump” is discussed in all sports I’m aware of…

baseball is definitely much easier to analyze, esp. regarding an individual, but still don’t you think that if the overriding factor in performance between year one and year two was “novelty” of play, than it would be extraordinarily easy for a smart coach to watch some tape half way into year one and say: “here it is folks, we got him!”

why wait?

I would guess novelty is a minor factor in the slump.

I’d throw it into a jumble of things:

– narratives: low expectations in year one; big in year two (ie. not the performance but the interpretation is at play)
    – assignments: increased difficulty/less sheltering
    – psychological: more responsibility
    – variance

rickithebear: Superior?

Player 1: 1 Goal in 19 shots
    Player 2: 1 goal in 6 shots

Sir remember target area is the net.
    This variable is not addressed.

Release location is more reflective of procession.

Top 30 players in Shooting % last year (min 10 gp)

Nate Guenin 40

Marian Hossa 248
    Logan Couture 245
    Claude Giroux 242
    Tyler Seguin 242
    Erik Cole 241
    Justin Williams 241

Why don’t we have a draft.

I take the shooters and you take the high SH%.

Loser has to cut off a pinkie.

You down? :D

114. jonrmcleod says:

Please tell me Steve Mason is starting.

115. Lucinius says:

Oh, Gene….

116. Marc says:

Stream anyone?

This game is blacked out on Gamecenter in the UK

117. icecastles says:

One guy who is clearly in mid-season form and going even beyond many peoples (admittedly lofty) expectations: Gene Principe.

118. BlacqueJacque says:

I wouldn’t trade Gene for any pre-game guy out there.

I get so much enjoyment out of his horrible jokes, puns, and props that it’s past shameful. It’s shamelessly glorious.

119. striatic says:

can Principe win draws?

120. striatic says:

Marc,

why?

121. delooper says:

Google “first row sports live streaming nhl” and you’ll find your stream, Marc. streamhunter.eu is also fairly reliable.

122. FPB94 says:

Delooper: FBI closed First row sports =/

123. BlacqueJacque says:

FPB94:
    Delooper: FBI closed First row sports =/

This copyright bullshit is getting out of hand =/

124. Gret99zky says:

Gagner put himself offside there.

125. Marc says:

Thanks. Got one.

striatic,

126. VanOil says:

I would love for our young team to compete for a playoff spot this year or even better get one, but I look forward even more to a 5 to 7 year window where the pain of the last 6 years leads to being a cup contender. Being what Detroit has been for the last 15 years. One of the great strengths of Detroit has been having the patience to develop players longer in the minor leagues. A luxury Oilers have not had. We have insisted on playing youngsters that while skilled have not had time to learn some of the games nuances. Like how to win a faces offs. It is fair to assume Gagner had he been a Detroit prospect would just be breaking into the league now and not be expected carry the load as the most experienced face off man on the team some nights.
    This has led me to a conclusion that I find startling, the biggest need this summer is resigning Horcoff. Yes that’s right I don’t think we should buy him out, we should resign him. I always hated Horcoff as a number one center, the last few years I have even been unhappy with him as a number 2 center. But I have come to see him as a damn fine but ridiculously over paid 3d line center. He has just the sort of veteran savvy, face off skill, physical strength and conditioning that make him the perfect asset for a young team. I would resign him at a much much lower rate on a two year extension. Meaning he would be an Oiler for the next 3 years. After that, given the time to develop in the minors one of the fridges with potential might prove to be NHL worthy.
    The challenge I see in next year’s cap. After that I figure the salary cap will grow with our team. Especially if a team or two is sold/relocated to better hockey markets. The HHR would be way bigger with another team in Toronto than having a money pit like Phoenix leading to more cap room. I am just not sure about the Horcoff hit for next year but with RNH, Shultz Jr and Yakpov still on entery levels and Whitney money going to Smid. Whitney being replaced by a gap filler free agent, bucket of pucks or Fedum till Klefbom makes the team cap wise it could be do able. So let’s all cheer for a new Toronto team because 3 to 5 years out I see a young defense core on the way that will be the envy of the league and its going to be expensive

127. delooper says:

Why wasn’t that a penalty? The guy was yanking on Eberle’s jersey for half the rink’s length.

128. delooper says:

First row still works for me. Maybe the FBI only closed it for US audiences?

WG’s bets are getting dangerous. :-)

That Hall/Gagner rush had promise but went offside and Eberle drove to the net really well.

130. BlacqueJacque says:

Eager with some great effort out there this shift. Speed, muscle, shot.

131. striatic says:

Marc: The UK rights holder (Premiersports) is showing the game. I don’t subscribe to them because it’s an extra £8 per month on my satellite bill and they have maybe 2 or 3 oilers games per season

they are showing an Oilers/Blue jackets game in the UK?

by choice? : ]

i guess it is the time zone shift but man what a bad game to have to broadcast.

Oilers too many men. Lordy.

133. BlacqueJacque says:

Ryan Smyth with the smart pass right at our own net…

134. Lucinius says:

Pretty good start to the game until the Gagner line got caught out there for an extended period in the defensive zone.

And now Smyth takes a hooking penalty. Good grief.

136. Lucinius says:

Smyth, you.. Moreau!

137. BlacqueJacque says:

Nice plays by Petry, getting the puck into the offensive zone, circling behind the net and then dumping it to Smid in our zone. Lots of time.

138. VanOil says:

Is Smyth Yak’s designated Penalty box buddie?

139. Rebilled says:

i think that ref really likes ninety-four.

140. jonrmcleod says:

I keep looking for the funnel that CLB is using to get pucks to the net.

141. BlacqueJacque says:

Is the guy in the BP’s commercial the same guy in the other commercial, whose hand gets stuck on gum on the escalator?

142. Oilanderp says:

They are really funnelling pucks to the net

WOW. Paajarvi was a bullet up ice on the back check. Holy shit.

That was another terrible powerplay, Oilers are going to need some 5×5 goals today I expect.

145. delooper says:

It seems like the winning strategy to defeat the Oilers PP is to just let them take shots on your net. Your goalie covers-up, and then the Oilers lose the faceoff.

146. Gret99zky says:

looks like the book is out on our PP. line up along the blue.

147. striatic says:

has Krueger coached in any NHL organization other than Edmonton?

148. Oilanderp says:

I hear RK isn’t in charge of the PP this year, but I don’t know that for a fact.

THERE’S ONE!

150. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh baby we need more of that ugliness. Finally the hockey gods intervene.

151. delooper says:

The lights-out forwards get the job done.

152. jonrmcleod says:

The luck has turned!

Hemsky (Hall) Fitting.

154. Rebilled says:

Good work by What a Bust!

155. BlacqueJacque says:

I want Magnus to get a Jagr-flow. That speed needs hair for full effect.

156. striatic says:

good.

now 5 more of those.

157. OilClog says:

Hemsky is probably one of the only players we got that would calmly put that puck where it needed to be in that situation.

158. VanOil says:

Fistric trying for the hip check again. He might fail more than he succeeds but i like that sort of team toughness better than the Hordi option.

159. spoiler says:

Badger… Pretty cheezy, Gino, lol.

Still my favorite ever comic book hero though.

Ryan Smyth needs to sleep in his own bed. Poor road trip.

161. Gret99zky says:

what was that extra smitty move behind the net to give it away?

162. VanOil says:

HGH is growing on me

163. BlacqueJacque says:

I hope we have patience with Magnus. He really has all the tools (except hands), just needs the attitude and it’s developing.

Yakupov is really doing well on the back check, despite what you’ll hear from some corners. This kid is really good.

165. BlacqueJacque says:

Bench Smytty?

Ryan Smyth needs to sleep in his own bed. Poor road trip

167. fuzzy muppet says:

Jesus, Smyth really is the new Moreau.

He looks done…

168. Gret99zky says:

smytty. WTF.

169. spoiler says:

Smytty thinks it’s still 1994.

170. VanOil says:

BlacqueJacque:
    I hope we have patience with Magnus.He really has all the tools (except hands), just needs the attitude and it’s developing.

I agree

171. striatic says:

not sure what to make of Nuge’s play of late.

172. VanOil says:

Who does Petry think he is Schultz? that is two short handed rushes.

173. BlacqueJacque says:

striatic:
    not sure what to make of Nuge’s play of late.

Defensively he’s his usual stellar puck-stealing self.

Offensively? Timid.

174. 48 percent body fat says:

Ryan Smyth needs to go.

175. cabbiesmacker says:

Ryan Smyth is 2013′s Ethan Moreau?

176. crude says:

striatic:
    not sure what to make of Nuge’s play of late.

It’s tough to play when you need shoulder surgery.

177. speeds says:

178. OilClog says:

I’m really confused by 94′ play as of late.. it’s just dumb penalty after the next. He’s in a complete funk, is he pouting due to not getting prime minutes? It’s confusing to see him cost us more then he helps.

179. Romulus Apotheosis says:

there’s some serious bad mojo on Smyth’s stick… how many stick infractions until someone takes it aside and gives it a stern lecture?

180. cabbiesmacker says:

striatic:
    not sure what to make of Nuge’s play of late.

Has to be dinged and I thought I heard rumours of this coming out of the Juniors.

181. OilClog says:

speeds: He isn’t what I expected, surprised to see him in the offensive zone, so far hasn’t really had the knack of finding the right spots to receive a pass.

Leading the Oilers in goals.. Experience will lead him to the Brett Hull locations.

182. Oilanderp says:

I wouldn’t worry about Smytty, refs are callin’ it pretty tight. It is what it is. I expect a better period coming up from him.

183. BlacqueJacque says:

OilClog:

Tired is my bet.

Age, travel, afternoon games, and compressed schedule after a long lay-off.

He’s all over the place, needs to build trust with his linemates. Yakupov has to settle into a zone and let Hemsky/Gagner/Nuge/Schultz find him. Man, when he gets it going this thing is going to rock.

185. VanOil says:

I can’t remember who said it but I still love the line “Yakupov passes harder than Smyth shoots”
    Once his line mates figure this out it will be fun.

186. Henry says:

There is a lot of try in this kid. The savvy will come.

Wtih Hall, Yak, MPS and Eager the LW on this team can really fly.

187. sliderule says:

Reider and Zharkov with two goals each in the OHL today.

They have both been on fire since WJC .They are also playing on two very defensive minded teams.

188. Gret99zky says:

Smyth taking on the toughs tonight.

aka, Oiler fans.

189. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think Smyth is having trouble adjusting to the new tighter calls… he looks confused and unwilling to adjust.

Yak is operating at the next level speed with his passes. he is going to have to wait for the next generation of players to come up.

WG’s bets are getting dangerous.

As my confidence goes up, so do the stakes.

Someone needs to get some crayons and picture books and explain to 94 about stick on hand rules and how close they are being called this year.

Lordy.

91-58 have a nice forecheck on most shifts, nice to see.

I said this yesterday, but the Oilers really need to work on zone entries 5v4.

Just horrid.

191. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

What do you think of John Shannon’s point that they almost always try to carry it in, rather than dump? I think he’s onto something – the defenders couldn’t stack up like that if they had to be ready for Taylor Hall, Magnus Paajarvi, or Nail Yakupov retrieving a dump-in.

I think the other teams have figured out the Oilers are fancy Dan on the PP and are standing up and making them shoot it in. Oilers will figure out someone has to build up speed through the neutral zone, then a soft pass into the high slot and jailbreak.

There’s that damn Ford kid again. Every time I see him my son gets a little farther into the doghouse. Poor guy.

193. spoiler says:

Gene sinkin to new lows.

Newer Comments »