OILERS AT RED WINGS, G11 (12-13) 9.2.13

The Edmonton Oilers 5×5 offense is going to explode someday soon, and today I wish it would rain. The club’s shooting percentage is low, their ev chances are good and their goaltending looks sustainable as long as Dubnyk is in the net. The PP is humming, but the EV goals have not arrived. Yet.

Taylor Hall has 35 shots on net so far this season and 2 goals. 5.7 shooting percentage. Last season, Hall’s shooting percentage was 13 per cent, meaning that he should have scored 4.55 goals by now if he was in the same shooting range as a year ago. Hall has been amazing this season–he’d get my MVP vote over Ales Hemsky–but lady luck has not been his friend. You know that old expression ‘when it rains, it pours?’

It’ll be coming down in buckets soon. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow. Andrew Berkshire is a helluva writer and despite his Habs focus offers up a perfect description of the Oilers current situation based on shooting percentage:

• Berkshire: The Edmonton Oilers are going to start scoring a lot soon. Well, their current injury situation may drag this out a bit longer, but eventually a bunch of pucks will fill the net for them at even strength.

The story I heard about “My Girl” is this one. Smokey Robinson wrote the song (inspired by his wife) and wanted it for his own group (The Miracles). One day Eddie Kendricks (of the Temptations) wandered into the room Smokey was working in and began discussing the recent success (or lack thereof) for the Temptations. He begged Robinson for a song, and Smokey (perhaps the greatest pop songwriter in history–and baby that’s saying something) played “My Girl” and then handed it to the Temptations (where David Ruffin would sing the song of his life and the Temptations would have their signature song).

The Temptations were the recipients of one of the greatest gifts in pop history–who gives that simple guitar line, those beautiful words and that incredible melody away?

schultz3

The Edmonton Oilers played the role of The Tempations the day Justin Schultz arrived as an Oiler. Holy Hell this young man is a hockey player, as sweet as that opening guitar line in My Girl and as successful as the #1 hit for 1965. It’s a dream, a freaking dream.

Lineup might look like this today:

• Gagner-Hall-Hemsky
  • Nuge-Hartikainen-Eberle
  • Smyth-Eager-Petrell
  • VandeVelde-Yakupov-Paajarvi

I like the top line–have been suggesting it for some time–but am also intrigued by that 2line. I’d rather see it at home where they could get some protection, but then again with Horcoff and Belanger out there’s not going to be a lot of protection.

The lines listed on the Al Gore for the Red Wings feature trouble and double trouble:

• Zetterberg-Franzen-Brunner
  • Datsyuk-Filppula-Tatar
  • Abdelkader-Cleary-Andersson
  • Emmerton-Miller-Tootoo

Their blue is in shreds compared to previous seasons, injuries and losing Lidstrom will do that to a team.

There’s a small story underneath the season and that’s the emergence of both Hartikainen and Paajarvi as NHL regulars. Through 10 games, here are their numbers:

• Hartikainen: 9, 0-1-1 10:18TOI. He’s missed only 1 game, and his TOI has risen from game 1 (6:10) through the last game (13:27) and it looks like the coach is going to have him in a feature role today. He’s getting 2 minutes a night on the PP, and even more impressive has been has work along the wall. Hartikainen is turning the corner, and in a season that is still a lot about ‘is our children learning?’ the big Finn is a shining light.
  • Paajarvi: 7, 0-0-0 10:17TOI. A wrinkle this season is some time on the PK (1:13) and he’s certainly playing a more physical game which includes driving to the net. Paajarvi’s miles from being the player he can be, but has some exceptional bullets on his resume for that 2-way role the Oilers need so badly.

The big story this season is the playoffs, but one of the truly interesting underlying items surrounds those secondary wingers behind Hall, Hemsky, Yakupov and Eberle. Hartikainen and Paajarvi finding useful roles would be a huge addition to the club’s depth.

310 Responses to "OILERS AT RED WINGS, G11 (12-13) 9.2.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. Romulus Apotheosis says:
  2. wheatnoil says:

If you’re in the region where CBC is playing the Jets game on TV, can you still watch the Oilers game on the CBC website?

3. DBO says:

LT : yep Oil getting no corporate love. Make the playoffs and it all changes.

More interested in how ev minutes will be handed out. I wonder if Hall with Gagner means they are going to reduce Nuge ‘s EV minutes. Shelter that shoulder, gravy zone starts, tons of PP time.

Also wonder if once Belanger and Horc are back if Horc rolls with MPS and Yak to back them up, allowing Krueger to use Belanger with Smyth and Petrell or Jones as checking line.

4. Romulus Apotheosis says:

“he’d get my MVP vote over Ales Hemsky”

They play radically different styles, but in my head they exist on the line as co-mvps of river-emptying destruction every game.

“Berkshire: The Edmonton Oilers are going to start scoring a lot soon. Well, their current injury situation may drag this out a bit longer, but eventually a bunch of pucks will fill the net for them at even strength.”

I think that amazing cycle by Hemsky and the boys vs Dallas is the warning sign for other teams at 5×5 vs. this team.

One day the fuse will overload and the world will crack and these talented kids are going to reek havoc on everyone.

“who gives that simple guitar line, those beautiful words and that incredible melody away?”

the guy that wrote this?:

So take a good look at my face
    You’ll see my smile looks out of place
    Just look closer, it’s easy to trace
    The tracks of my tears
    I need you, need you

“It’s hockey day in Canada, and the Oilers are on the road and the CBC splits the nation. I don’t think the Oilers are getting the respect they deserve from the CBC. Surely this team is more entertaining than one of the other Canadian teams.”

I know… day game… not against a canadian team… forced to split the country… the majority of which won’t see the Oil play.

that diss number… what 3? in this short season?

5. sliderule says:

What I see with this team is a player in good shooting position will pass off to a player in worse shooting position.It’s no wonder that their shooting percentages are down as they try to pass the puck into the net.
    In fairness Hall has been one of the better at trying to get his shot.Nuge and Eberle have passed off a bunch of scoring chances and it’s even infected yak as he has passed up a few lately.

Goals don’t have to be pretty shoot and go to net for rebounds.

6. Mark-LW says:

wheatnoil,

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter what region you’re in, all games are available I think.

7. BrazilianOil says:

Out of play off spot this morning. The Oilers need to be in again Monday.

8. bill needle says:

If you watch the cool documentary Standing in the Shadows of Motown, you’ll find out who was really driving the bus on My Girl and all those old Motown hits.
    Here’s a hint: when watching the above video, do you wonder where the band is?

9. Gret99zky says:

LT- Why do you hate the Beatles? Jeez.

10. Mark-LW says:

bill needle,

well said

bill needle:
    Here’s a hint: when watching the above video, do you wonder where the band is?

James Jamerson was amazing.

and the one I went looking for in the first place

13. khildahl says:

Sorry LT. I do love Smokey, but Buddy Holly wins hands-down.

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

for the bass enthusiasts:

Wes’ lesser known brother Monk.

I’ve stared at that album cover for hours.

15. khildahl says:

Mark-LW:
    New Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album streaming:

Nick Cave is like single malt. He’s an acquired taste, but once you’ve acquired it, watch out.

Thanks for the link.

Potter-Whitney confirmed. Gotta be showcase, no? Maybe we’ll see an EDM-DET deal after the game.

17. Dixs35 says:

Thanks LT love some Motown in the morning. Time to put on some James Brown and get the dishes done before the game.

DET’s PP is awful at 12%, 26th in the NHL.

I wonder if they’d take Whitney to play 3rd and run their PP?

Whitney is playing with Potter today.

Wonder what they’d give up?

None of their young AHL Dmen really fit what the Oilers need.

Maybe Almquist to help run the PP in OKC.

Maybe a 3rd?

Also,

Can’t wait to see 4-89-83.

PvP line.

I think RK is cobbling together the line up the best he could.

VV + 64+91 might surprise a bit today if Babcock agrees to let the 4th lines together, and he often does.

Going to watch the game at my Mom’s.

Never too old for Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Go Oilers!!

*clap,clap*

19. Mark-LW says:

Are we intentionally throwing the season already?

20. spoiler says:

Why won’t Holland fix the massive holes on defense?!! Could he not see the lack of depth and imbalance at the beginning of the season?!! Why is he dithering like a Tambellini?!!

spoiler:

he could make a trade right now, today!

22. "Steve Smith" says:

He’s lost the room’s eye glow!

(Am I doing this right?)

“Steve Smith”:

He’s lost the room’s eye glow!

(Am I doing this right?)

Yes! Nothing rhymes!

24. jfry says:

Woodguy

Going to watch the game at my Mom’s.

Never too old for Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

*clap,clap*

This!

25. OilLeak says:

Our 3rd line will get destroyed Cleary’s line, lets hope the other line can make up for it.

Apparently Khabibulin may start today (Joanne Ireland twitter)

Apparently Khabibulin may start today (Joanne Ireland twitter)

RK trying to win in CBJ and just giving up on this game?

28. leadfarmer says:

3 points from 3rd in conference. 3 pts from 15th in conference. The 3 pt games really keeping everyone close.

If Khabibulin starts and shits the bed I will chop the tree in my front yard down. It’ll mean a fine, but I’m already sharpening the axe.

30. spoiler says:

Lovely world, isn’t it, when a man can get fined for chopping down his own tree on his own land.

31. jp says:

Apparently Khabibulin may start today (Joanne Ireland twitter)

I realize it’s extremely unlikely, but I’m hoping that Khabi catches lightning in a bottle for 8-10 games again this year (in a backup role). You know, go out on a high note. Crash and burn is the more likely outcome, but we can hope can’t we?

lol. Poor tree.

32. RMGS says:

Apparently Khabibulin may start today (Joanne Ireland twitter)

33. dessert1111 says:

So I live on “Sens mile” and this morning I went for coffee and saw a guy decked out in an Oilers jersey reading the paper. Before today, I hadn’t seen someone wearing an Oilers jersey in Ottawa in several years. Maybe the fans here are finally showing their faces again?

34. In the Grease says:

Made mention of it yesterday, but according to the Oilers’s site depth chart, Yakupov will be on right with MPS on VV’s left flank…. is this Kreuger responding to Yak’s inclination to make plays from the right side during games, will this help his offence in any way?

35. ASkoreyko says:

So wait now I need to make sure I come here and read every post by you so I don’t miss any hockey AND comedy gold?

If you start handing out tax tips I might never need to leave the house.

36. Mark-LW says:

Gregor seems to think that Smyth will be centreing Yak and PJV. I like that idea better.

37. Mark-LW says:

Khabi is starting

Nikolai Khabibulin leads the #Oilers onto the ice for pre-game warmup, meaning he’ll make his first start of the season— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) February 9, 2013

38. Backhand says:

Stauffer tweets….khabi starts

39. jp says:

RMGS: I want to like the new coach’s decision-making, but this (and Whitney-Potter) makes it challenging.

Well, Dubnyk can’t start all 48 games.

The Whitney-Potter thing – yeah. Would be nice to see Fistric in there for one or the other. Maybe he’s not 100% yet. Also, RK seems to like the idea of the “puck moving” pair, especially against teams who don’t have huge amounts of muscle to deal with. Not that Whitney-Potter are looking particularly good in that regard, but I can see the rationale.

Hopefully Whitney has the game of his life vs Det. Might make a trade for him (and Omark) to Det. for something useful possible. More likely they’ll realize today he can’t turn properly and it will kill any trade possibilities…

In the Grease:

Playing the right side may help, but playing with VV will not.

Mark-LW:
    Gregor seems to think that Smyth will be centreing Yak and PJV.I like that idea better.

That sounds MUCH better.

40. Lucinius says:

Not sure how I feel about Khabbi starting. On the one hand.. he has to start eventually, and this means Dubnyk in against Columbus making that game even more winnable. Who knows, though? We’ll just have to see how bad he is. Personally, I would have started Khabbi against Columbus because, y’know, Columbus… and Belanger would be back.

Could be a fairly interesting game this afternoon (god I hate afternoon games). I’m expecting a loss based on it being an afternoon game.

42. bookjLe says:

LT – In case you are not aware, the City has a tree valuation system for boulavard trees. If, for example, the tree in front of your house were a 100cm Elm (diameter) and you chopped it down, you would be charged about $50,000 (seriously).

If its a little 12cm maple or something, its probably only a $1000 or so, so you should be ok.

You might want to look at ramming a fire hydrant or something.

I think Khabibulin might do ok – remember his start last season. He should be well rested.

#Oilers forward lines vs. Detroit will be Hall-RNH-Eberle, Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky, Paajarvi-VandeVelde-Hartikainen, Eager-Smyth-Petrell

44. bookjLe says:

I like the plan to start NK . You need to find out if you have an adequate backup goalie at some point. If not, its time to start looking to see what you can get.

45. Lucinius says:

Wait, so we all bitched, moaned and analyzed those altered lines for nothing!?

46. remlap says:

Lucinius,

RK is trolling all of us.

Lucinius:

Wait, so we all bitched, moaned and analyzed those altered lines for nothing!?

Appears so, but I think its also true we may see a blender approach for the first time under Krueger. Now talking about Hall at center, so if Ralph wanted to confuse the media he’s done it.

48. VOR says:

This really belongs in the last thread. I am not sure why everybody seems to think the Oilers believed Mitch Moroz would turn into Milan Lucic (never mind Jamie Benn). Nobody in the Oilers organization has ever said anything that implied that was what they were thinking. The Oil King we didn’t get (Samuelsson) the Oilers management clearly thought might be Lucic. There is no evidence to suggest they were wrong about that.

I think the Oilers get the general idea about the effects of birth date. From what they have said about Moroz they seem to be hoping Moroz lies somewhere in the same area as these guys.

At the same age (nearly exactly), wingers, same size, same style, same skill set:

at 17 playing major junior 1 gp 0 goals 1 assist 1 point
    at 18 playing major junior 27 gp 9 goals 12 assists 21 points

This guy was never drafted. Didn’t stop him from having one hell of a career, classic late bloomer with a late birth date. Interesting comparable to Milan Lucic since he was also a huge fan favorite in Boston. It remains to be seen if Lucic will end up with a career as important to the Boston Bruins as Wayne Cashman.

or

at 17 playing major junior 62 games played 17 goals 25 assists 42 points
    at 18 playing major junior 52 games played 10 goals 33 assists 43 points

drafted 46th OV

That is the stat line for Mark Osborne. Not as good a player as Cashman but then again he never played on as good a team either. Still a very successful NHL player.

What I am saying is I don’t think the Oilers are delusional. They know they need 3rd and 4th line help. They know forwards can have an impact sooner than D. So they are burning draft picks looking for guys who can be superb 3/4 line players. Despite what some people think usually these guys aren’t former scorers they are guys like Cashman and Osborne.

Offense is not their calling card. They announce themselves with intangibles (defence, toughness, and character).

While every Oiler would take Cashman or Osborne we insist on comparing Moroz to Lucic.

If 3 or 4 years from now we look at a Vollman chart and up where Horocoff currently resides there is a dark circle and the name Moroz then I think the Oilers made a very good choice when they took Moroz a round too high. The thing is the game he plays for the Oil Kings suggests he is exactly that guy. Why on earth are we slagging him? Isn’t he exactly what we are all saying we need? Super tough, fast, checking winger, who out plays and will go to the aid of a team mate. A guy who can take Hordichuk’s roster spot but hold his own playing 12 minutes a night against the best players in the NHL.

Yet we’ve decided he is a failure if he doesn’t turn into Milan Lucic. I don’t get it.

What if like another guy without the offence to play in the NHL Moroz ends up winning a Frank Selke and skates around the ice 4 times with the Stanley Cup? Wouldn’t that mean he covered the bet? Where is it written that Moroz is a failure if he isn’t Milan Lucic? What if career turns out like that of Kris Draper? Were the Oilers wrong to draft him?

49. Ducey says:

Lowetide: Dubnyk could start both games, he’s not running a marathon this afternoon and he isn’t 60. Khabibulin IS 60 and hasn’t stopped a shot fired by an opponent in many days. No rehab, just practice. Maybe he shoots lights out. But I don’t think this is a smart decision by Ralph Krueger. The tree is either shaking or its windy.

So you would play DD all 48 games?

I am not worried about the tree. I see Ms LT standing on the front step with arms crossed and that “what do you think you are doing?” look in her eyes, to be followed by LT dutifully retreating to the garage – tree untouched.

50. bookjLe says:

I always thought that coaches should never give out lines and goalies before the game – really, it just gives the other team more time to prepare.

Ducey: So you would play DD all 48 games?

I am not worried about the tree.I see Ms LT standing on the front step with arms crossed and that “what do you think you are doing?” look in her eyes, to be followed by LT dutifully retreating to the garage – tree untouched.

THAT is a good scouting report. :-)

52. jonrmcleod says:

Of all the destructive things you could do, why pick cutting down your tree? I could see throwing a baseball at your TV screen or tossing your computer out the window.

53. Ben says:

Calling Magnus with the GWG.

Ewanyk, Moroz…etc.

The Oilers have their elite talent. True, one can alway find veteran UFA bottom six players. But you have to pay them. Usually they don’t come with value for money or value for term. So where is the money puck advantage for a team with elite talent that needs to be paid. Bottom six players who can play who are young who are on CBA-limited salary first and second contracts.

If one has a 4th line of young guys who can skate, are physical, provide energy, and can defend and PK like older veterans on low salaries…that is a money puck advantage.

55. Romulus Apotheosis says:

is that mark lee I hear.

we’re going to lose.

56. Lucinius says:

I always love seeing how dis-interested the non-NA players are during the anthems.

57. jfry says:

VOR,

in my few live OK games this year, it felt like the oilers are hoping that one of moroz or ewanyk (lesser so) will turn into ethan moreau type player. a useful piece in a building process.

it will be interesting to see how many of these top-of-the-second-round kids actually play any NHL games of consequence.

Very nice defensive job by Gagner there against Datsyuk.

Hartikainen and Paajarvi were monsters together in the AHL playoffs last year. They have nothing to prove at the AHL level. They were the best forwards on the ice in the Marlies-Barons series. When they were together, they dominated. Scrivens stole that series. Danis was only so-so.

Hartikainen was better than Frattin.

Paajarvi was Paajarvi. He is not everyone’s cup of tea. I think MacT and Krueger will grow to respect him like Nelson did. But his lack of boxcars means he is going to be a CHEAP potentially elite matchup player. A kinder gentler cheaper Dennis Rodman.

And that was after an outstanding start by the top line,

61. dessert1111 says:

Whitney wasn’t even trying when he got passed there it looked like. I’m about ready to see Theo Peckham or Taylor Fedun.

Eager with a mistake that resulted in a nice chance by Detroit.

63. jfry says:

could you imagine if we got “contract year” reKhab?

64. Rebilled says:

Gonna be interesting to watch the MVP play for a contract.

65. jp says:

VOR,

It has little or nothing to do with Moroz becoming Lucic or not. Lucic is used as a comp because he’s a player every team would love to have, who’s big and physical like Moroz and who didn’t score in his draft year yet still turned into a (very) good NHL player. He is one of only a handful of examples of guys with that level of offense in their draft year that turned into good NHL players.

If Moroz turns out to have a career like Cashman or Osborne no one is going to complain that he didn’t turn out being Lucic. Even if he only turns into a solid 12 min a night 3rd liner I don’t think you’ll hear many complain. The issue is that most think he’s not going to reach that level because his Jr level offense is just not good enough, even to be a 2-way 3rd liner. That’s the only issue – did the Oilers pick the player with the best chance of an NHL career with the 31st pick? Many think no. I’m hopeful, but the doubts about Moroz being able to play the exact same role for the Oilers that he’s playing now in the WHL, and at the same level, are fair.

Also, I don’t agree that most 3rd liners weren’t scorers in Jr. Most were PPG players at least.

66. Romulus Apotheosis says:

there goes the blender!

67. jonrmcleod says:

I see the lines are switched.

68. tcho says:

Oil seems to be having a lot of troubles leaving their own zone to start. Let’s hope they can adjust.

Khabibulin almost let that puck in. We’re going to have to endure some craziness today, folks. I do like the line shuffling that Krueger’s doing in that he seems to be getting some nice F v D matchups.

Own zone coverage by Oilers is suspect, especially Whitney-Potter. Nuge and Gagner solid by my eye.

jp:
    VOR,

Reasoner was a scorer in college. It took him forever to figure out he couldn’t be a scorer in the NHL, and to change himself into a checker.

With Moroz and Ewanyk, the Oilers won’t have to waste their entry level contracts convincing them that they are never going to score at the NHL level, and thus, they should concentrate on being energy players, shutdown players, and PK specialists.

For most of those third line checkers who were scorers in junior, their entry level contracts were wasted on them figuring out they would never be scorers.

The Oilers have Carriere and Sillinger. They won’t have to waste the time with Moroz and Ewanyk during their development phase working them through their disappointment that they are never going to be scorers.

Mark Lee seems to be warming up to Latrell, but I can’t find him in the program!

72. jfry says:

i’ve really liked magnus lately. it’s nice to seem him use his size and speed. he’s really learning to shelter the puck effectively.

jfry:
    i’ve really liked magnus lately.it’s nice to seem him use his size and speed.he’s really learning to shelter the puck effectively.

Good coaching (Nelson) vs. bad coaching (Renney).

74. Lucinius says:

This game is so chaotic.

Detroit would be so screwed without Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Such fantastic stick work.

75. jfry says:

good communication from potter, to get hall to take his man off the post

76. Rebilled says:

They should give Schultz the Calder early. If they don’t they haven’t been watching.

77. Lucinius says:

Nice work there by Paajarvi on the pk.

78. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Mark Lee seems tobe warming up to Latrell, but I can’t find him in the program!

I also like how VDV was brought up for “grit”… not … you know because all our Cs are dead.

Whitney, Potter and Smid all over 5 minutes so far.

80. Ben says:

Can’t believe I”m watching this on a choppy, laggy feed because CBC thinks this half of the country would rather watch OTT-WIN than EDM-DET. Phack.

Nice shift by Harski

Hartikainen is really starting to push the wall battles now. Man, that would be something to have one of those guys.

83. Lucinius says:

J. Schultz with the hilarious whiff.

STAY DOWN KHABBY!

Lucinius:
    J. Schultz with the hilarious whiff.

looked like Pete Townshend at the end of Won’t get Fooled Again.

No score after one, this is an extremely winnable game. The Oilers have areas where they are clearly better than Detroit based on that period, and not all of them are up front.

87. Lucinius says:

Maybe its just me, but they need to start the powerplays with the unit most clicking, not just throwing it to the first powerplay unit regardless.

88. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ben:

and where is the clock? it keeps disappearing? why would you ever take that graphic away? esp. at the end of a period on a PP?

Agreed with the other posters that 91 is starting to become and Actual NHL player. Nice to see.

Zone exits and entries are terrible.

No room up the walls heading out, interested to see if RK changes and gets them to bring it up the middle instead of the wall.

Didn’t notice 6 much. First time in a while that I could say that.

90. Rebilled says:

11 months for MVP. wow.

An aged goalie can surprise.

What did that guy say when he jumped out of the supply closet? Supplies?

91. Lucinius says:

Romulus Apotheosis: It’s brutal! I’ve had to restart it a couple of times and re-watch the extra commercials…

They’ve been doing it for years, but as time marches on CBC takes the score-clock away more and more. Very frustrating.

92. Lucinius says:

“Did you get a goal or an assist or make a big play?”

“No……”

‘Well, shit!’

93. RexLibris says:

I’ve mentioned him before, but it appears that Gustafsson is having a fine season so far and earned some mention on Hockey Prosepctus recently:

Erik Gustafsson, Defense, Edmonton Oilers, Allsvenskan

Gustafsson has been a nice surprise this season, and as of this writing is in the top 10 in defenseman scoring in the SEL-2. He is a notably above-average puck mover who has a nice calmness to his game and exhibits quality mobility. He was drafted at 19 and is currently 20 years old, so he is a little farther along the age curve than your typical fourth round pick six months after the draft, but he certainly worth monitoring. He does need to continue putting work in at the defensive end however. Given a lot of Oilers prospects have had disappointing seasons so far, Gustafsson could arguably be a top-15 prospect in their system and maybe even stretch into their top 10.

I find this simultaneously encouraging and disheartening. hmmmm

I like the new line sets for PvP.

I don’t mind getting Yak some soft ice either.

Woodguy:
    I like the new line sets for PvP.

I don’t mind getting Yak some soft ice either.

I start every game now hoping to see his slap shot. It’s dreamy.

96. corykg says:

Lowetide: I start every game now hoping to see his slap shot. It’s dreamy.

I get lost in his slap shot’s eyes.

That photo of Hall up top is incredible.

97. Lucinius says:

This powerplay has been sucking for awhile.

98. gcw_rocks says:

link to video stream?

99. Rebilled says:

wow. only this team.

100. Lucinius says:

Wtf…

Crap. Yak with an unsportsman and it looks like Smyth got 10 minutes on the same play.

102. 48 percent body fat says:

Smyth is terrible, time to go. Thats not good leadership, neither is all the stupid penalties he takes. Ethan Moreau the second.

This team looks terrible.

Can Nuge and Eberle start producing something. And I dont care if they are getting chances. Chance dont count. Goals do.

103. 48 percent body fat says:

and all of that for an off side that wasnt an off side

104. Gret99zky says:

not one replay of that offside. CBC.

Ryan Whitney. Oh my God.

106. Ryan says:

Woodguy’, how you like Gagner’s PVP line?

Strudwick’s 4 min shift could get surpassed.

107. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I didn’t realize the value of veterans was directly proportional to how little of a threat they are to actually play and play well… huh!?

108. tcho says:

Tough period so far, but still 0-0. Hope the boys can find a higher gear soon.

109. Rebilled says:

seppuku

110. Ryan says:

I agree Hemsky and Hall are the best PVP wingers, but Nuge is so much better than Gagner defensively.

Nice speed there by Gagner for a shorthanded chance.

112. delooper says:

The Oilers PK is better than 5v5 or their PP.

113. skidplate says:

What the he’ll did Yak and Smyth do?

On a different note, everytime I log in to comment on my iPhone, the screen freezes and it takes forever to scroll up to refresh and then back down. Anyone have any suggestions?

114. Ryan says:

Good news is our two worst dmen in the box

115. tcho says:

Tough to stop a 5-3

116. Rebilled says:

That is ‘fuckin’ bullshit’ Smid.

It is.

Can’t fault the goalie on that one, Oilers in some bad luck but there’s a healthy dose of stupid in there too. Shame shame shame.

They are calling weak shit on the Oilers, but Franzen interfering with 5 on the 5v3 goes unpunished.

they

119. jp says:

Damn, at least after the 1st PP was done.

Sorry, I stepped out for a second. I saw Smyth yapping, but what did Yak do?

120. Bar_Qu says:

I’m looking for the untucked jersey penalty here.

BTW, does it seem like Yak is getting a lot of ticky-tack penalties this year?

121. Bushed says:

Wow–brutal one-sided reffing.

Guess it’s “free hooking, tripping and interference if you’re wearing red day” in the NHL.

Good thing the NHL recognizes that the refs are the show…

God awful.

jp:
    Damn, at least after the 1st PP was done.

Sorry, I stepped out for a second. I saw Smyth yapping, but what did Yak do?

No idea, CBC is saving their replays for the Toronto game. Clock too.

123. jp says:

godot10: Reasoner was a scorer in college.It took him forever to figure out he couldn’t be a scorer in the NHL, and to change himself into a checker.

The Oilers have Carriere and Sillinger.They won’t have to waste the time with Moroz and Ewanyk during their development phase working them through their disappointment that they are never going to be scorers.

No, they won’t have to waste time molding them into defensive players, but they may still need to attempt to teach them how to play hockey.

I know there are examples, but not that many guys become decent NHL players (3rd liners or better) after not scoring in Jr/College. Some relatively random examples:

Marchant and Grier were both well over a PPG in college.
    Moreau scored 96 and 98 Pts in the OHL.
    Brodziak 93 Pts in the WHL
    Abdelkader with 40 Pts in 42 college GP
    Drew Miller over a PPG in college
    Helm 2 PPG seasons in the WHL
    Brandon Dubinsky 2 PPG seasons in the WHL
    Brian Boyle 2 PPG seasons in College
    Clutterbuck 89 Pts in the OHL
    Matt Cooke 95 Pts in the OHL

FFS, Colin Fraser was a PPG in the WHL.

I know there are some, but I suspect you could count the number of top 9 NHL forwards who never scored a PPG in Jr or College on 2 hands.

I’m still hoping for Moroz and Ewanyk, but history doesn’t suggest it’s very likely they’re going to help out in a very big way.

124. jp says:

Lowetide: No idea, CBC is saving their replays for the Toronto game. Clock too.

Haha, thanks anyway.

125. Mark-LW says:

Lowetide: No idea, CBC is saving their replays for the Toronto game. Clock too.

It’s the Harper government cuts on the CBC. They had to lay-off the previous, functional, score clock.

lol. Justin Schultz point blank and he’s stoned by Howard. Sometimes it isn’t your day. Howard with a nice save on Whitney there.

127. tcho says:

That was a nice stretch.

128. jp says:

GREAT shift there!

129. matt says:

A little surprised that CBC didn’t ask why Smid was sitting on his bum on top of Franzen’s stick in the middle of the 5 on 3 immediately before the goal.

130. Rebilled says:

penalty.

What a horrible play by Hall. Man. I cannot believe how dumb this team is today. Frack. Even the tree is pissed!

132. Bar_Qu says:

Ugh

133. tcho says:

Easier watching the game from above, but why Hall throws the puck back into danger when he’s got it from the point…?

134. Lucinius says:

That powerplay unit needs a kick upside the head.

Shoot. The. Puck.

Don’t pass you way into trouble you bloody morons. Gah. Powerplay has been on a big decline lately. Even the powerplay goals we’ve been getting have been off the rush, not after getting set up.

135. tcho says:

Smyth with a CANNON! :-)

136. Mark-LW says:

Huge save khabi. Credit given where credit is due.

137. Rebilled says:

IS THAT OFFSIDE?

138. Bar_Qu says:

Great, NK is the highlight maker of the game. Just what I was hoping for.

Great save there by Khabibulin, lights out.

Just pissing away opportunities to take hold of this game.

RK really, really needs to work on 5v4 zone entries.

Its a clusterfuck.

jp:

Teams didn’t have specialized development coaches before. It was like Reasoner, who was an offensive player in college, tried for three years to be a scorer in St. Louis, two more years to be a scorer in Edmonton, and finally gave up and became a checker. That is the typical career path of all those junior and college scorers you cite who become checkers.

Now with development coaching, teams (like the Oilers) are hoping to perhaps try something new, More specialized, targetted identification of a specific skill set, and molding it into a role player, rather than just leaving it to time and chance.

You might be able to develop your third line role player differently, by drafting differently, and developing that specific draft pick differently.

Instead of molding a failed scorer into a checker, just develop a checker from scratch. It is trying to do something different.

142. Lucinius says:

RK isn’t in charge of the powerplay this year, which is dumb, imo.

143. Bushed says:

Someone tell our D to shoot high corners instead of directly at the crest.

Also tell Hall that he isn’t going to beat 4 guys in close–try chipping puck into corner….

144. Mark-LW says:

Woodguy:
    Just pissing away opportunities to take hold of this game.

RK really, really needs to work on 5v4 zone entries.

Its a clusterfuck.

amen

145. Mark-LW says:

SCHULTZ

146. delooper says:

The referees are making a lot of marginal-to-bad calls tonight.

147. Bar_Qu says:

Sigh of relief

148. tcho says:

That was lovely puck movement.

149. Rebilled says:

CALDER!

150. jp says:

Schultz can still get them to go at this level. Yeah!!

Doctor Schultz to the operating room!

152. Lucinius says:

Finally! Schultz shoots, we score.

Need more shots!

153. BlacqueJacque says:

I think Justin Schultz may have the most fascinating wrist shot in the league.

It doesn’t look fast at all. It’s like Eberle’s first-season muffin. Yet he’s just so accurate with it, that when the goalie is screened (or slow), he’ll nail the net.

It’s not fast enough to beat a good NHL goaltender, but he hardly ever misses if the goalie is screened.

154. sliderule says:

Didn’t we just get told that Justins wrist shot can’t beat NHL goalies

Horrid call on Z.

Great shot by Younger

156. Bar_Qu says:

Mark Lee makes ‘veteran’ sound like a word that should not be used.

157. Mark-LW says:

Ref: “Was it really that bad Schultzy?”
    haha

Schultz (Eberle, Hartikainen). Slowly but surely, the Nordic wingers are pushing onto the roster. When everyone is healthy, maybe theres a surprise demotion.

159. Mark-LW says:

sliderule:
    Didn’t we just get told that Justinswrist shot can’t beat NHL goalies

Was that on the broadcast?

160. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So the commentators just thought N. Schultz was J. Schultz… right?

161. Rebilled says:

‘You fuckin’ saw it’ N. Schultz
    ‘Was it really that bad?’. ref

Yes, yes it is.

162. Bar_Qu says:

What is this N. Schultz quote being discussed?

163. jfry says:

how has cbc not shown that offside yet?

164. sliderule says:

Anyone else notice how slow the ice is.They must have turned the plant off.

In the glory days when oil would go into Boston you could do the backstroke on the ice as Bruins would try to slow Oilers down with sloppy ice

165. jp says:

PJ stock don’t care.

And he is apparently unaware of the Oilers injury problems at C as well.

166. VanOil says:

Some game thoughts; horrible period where the refs were the stars. Week calls on both teams. I am sure Yak pisssed on the ice right in front of the ref and only Canadian veterans are allowed to do that in a sportsman like way which is why CBC won’t show it. PRV and Harti belong in the NHL this year full time. Shultz should win the Calder. When given 5 on 5 time the both of today’s top lines have been good. Finally: Whiteny with the winner and chuck the monkey again become beloved again…

jfry:
    how has cbc not shown that offside yet?

The CBC’s HNIC Saturday contract has not yet been renewed. I don’t think. Bell/CTV/TSN will be bidding driving up the price. Don’t expect the CBC to do any embarrassing or shaming of the NHL on its broadcasts.

HNIC pays all those massive CBC executives salaries. If they lose HNIC, many of them will lose their jobs (although they will get nice buyouts).

jp:
    PJ stock don’t care.

And he is apparently unaware of the Oilers injury problems at C as well.

That’s whyt Friedman should be the future and Stock should be moving on to something else. The audience is miles ahead of Stock. MILES!

169. Ryan says:

Offside call was good call according to comment at coppernblue. Someone PVR’ed it. Yak was offside.

170. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jp:
    PJ stock don’t care.

And he is apparently unaware of the Oilers injury problems at C as well.

that was amazing!! Friedman was strangling a small cat under the desk trying to hold his tongue.

According to Xenophobe Spector that’s the problem with the team.

“Oilers’ best D-man in system in Swede. Oh boy are they in trouble” – the moron who missed the fact the many of the best D in the NHL are Swedes, including last year’s Norris and a guy named Lidstrom.

He’s become a parody of his worst idiocy.

172. VanOil says:

Shultz looks more nervous in the interview than on the ice. Good to see him get a towel. The first of many.

godot10: The CBC’s HNIC Saturday contract has not yet been renewed. I don’t think.Bell/CTV/TSN will be bidding driving up the price.Don’t expect the CBC to do any embarrassing or shaming of the NHL on its broadcasts.

HNIC pays all those massive CBC executives salaries.If they lose HNIC, many of them will lose their jobs (although they will get nice buyouts).

They’ll pay a ton.

174. VanOil says:

Woodguy: According to Xenophobe Spector that’s the problem with the team.

He’s become a parody of his worst idiocy.

parody of his worst idiocy. Spector’s new tag line!

175. Rebilled says:

Bar_Qu,

N. Schultz was asking for a call. Didn’t get it. Didn’t show the whole play so not sure.

176. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: CTV/TSN has already sacrificed virgins and used blood voodoo to get Saturday night hockey.

They’ll pay a ton.

I can’t wait. burn this out-moded piece of crap legacy project to the ground. once hnic goes… they’ve got nothing.

If the NHL goes to Sochi, the Swedes will be the contender for gold that no one will be talking about until they win it.

178. Rebilled says:

Spider in the net.

179. jp says:

Woodguy: According to Xenophobe Spector that’s the problem with the team.

He’s become a parody of his worst idiocy.

Is there more? Like “Oilers best D-man in system is a Swede who is injured for the season and might not get back to 100%. Oh boy are they in trouble”. WTF is wrong with that guy??

Too bad he’s not an opposing GM we can fleece of his good euros.

And agreed our Fin and Swede-Fin are looking like hey should be in the bigs to stay.

180. Rebilled says:

Spider was #19. wow.

181. Lucinius says:

Oilers need to score here.

182. Bar_Qu says:

Rebilled,

Thanks – hard to pinpoint the bad calls this game.

183. jake70 says:

Thank you CBC, our NATIONAL publicly subsidized broadcaster for allowing me the joy and pleasure of watching the Jets-Sens game. Good job.

184. VanOil says:

The Ice does suck. Or they put the pucks in the microwave not the freezer

185. Lucinius says:

Ugh. 2nd powerplay unit needs to see more ice in cases like this.

186. VOR says:

JP,

No offence but you sound a lot like yet another name for Captain Happy,

Fraser, Grier, Abdelkader, Brodziak, Boyle, and Helm were not PPG players (or close) at the time of their draft. In some cases they only become that 3 or 4 years after draft. Drew Miller never was a PPG, in one season he got up to 43 points in 44 games and that is as close as he ever got. So less than half your “facts” aren’t.

Of the top 30 forwards in rel corsi of competition last year only 8 were PPG players at time of draft. Of the top 30 forwards in fewest goals against per 60 minutes on ice only 2 were PPG players at time of draft. In otherwards most of the guys who do the heavy lifting and nearly all of the guys who get the best result in the NHL were not drafted for their scoring prowess. Many of these players had more than a point per game at some point post draft. Many had breakouts as bigger or bigger than Lucic. Helm for example was 72 games play 10 goals 14 assists 24 points in his draft year. The next year he is 70 games played 41 goals 38 assists 79 points. That is a 55 point increase compared to Lucic’s 49.

187. BlacqueJacque says:

Wow, what a play by Hall. Reeling in Pavel Datsyuk. Racing past him.

Great pass by Yak just now to Hemsky. Too bad hemmer couldn’t tap it in.

188. Bushed says:

Zetterberg gets 2 free trips so far…

189. tcho says:

91 with a cut to the net!

190. Lucinius says:

I know that first powerplay unit has a goal, but.. no shots on a 5v3? Sit them.

191. Bar_Qu says:

Yep

192. Bushed says:

Great call refs–why not just give Detroit 8 free penalty shots and be done with this farce of a game?

193. Lucinius says:

And that shitty 5v3 probably cost us the game, damnit.

194. Lucinius says:

And Smytty with the shitty attempt to block the shot.

195. VanOil says:

Has Eager played since the 1st?

196. jp says:

Bushed:

I couldn’t tell if that was a trip or a fall – no decent replay :)

tough period to endure. Oilers get a 5 on 3 and all their kids love to score but they can’t piss a drop. And then the Red Wings make it look so easy.

Newer Comments »