OILERS RECALL PAAJARVI, BELANGER TO IR

The Edmonton Oilers have recalled Magnus Paajarvi this afternoon, meaning there will be a transaction to get him onto the roster. Possibilities include IR for Shawn Horcoff or Eric Belanger, a trade, sending down Lander or placing someone on waivers.

Paajarvi deserved to stay on the big club based on qual comp and zone starts but his Corsi Rel had fallen off after a strong start. Paajarvi had chemistry with Teemu Hartikainen when they were together and that duo might see action tomorrow night against Vancouver.

415 update: Belanger has been placed on IR.

43 Responses to "OILERS RECALL PAAJARVI, BELANGER TO IR"

1. striatic says:

when Lander came up and PRV went down, both were announced at once, so can we assume the reverse switcheroo isn’t happening?

striatic:

I can’t imagine Lander going down with the clusterbleep at center injury-wise.

One bright spot: Poor Paajarvi won’t have to endure Doug Sauter calling him Pa-VARRee and PIF-AREE. :-)

3. striatic says:

it seems like Belanger or Horcoff go on IR, they should be recalling a C, unless one of them is good for next game.

Well they could IR Horcoff, move Belanger to 3C and then Lander to 4C

1. Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    2. Gagner-Yakupov-Hemsky
    3. Belanger-Smyth-Petrell
    4. Lander-Hartikainen-Paajarvi

5. striatic says:

isn’t Hordichuk on waivers another possible option?

striatic:
    isn’t Hordichuk on waivers another possible option?

It should be the obvious option, but that won’t happen. If they waive Hordichuk, we’ll know that Krueger and MacTavish performed a palace coup.

7. jfry says:

Belanger on ir according to oil twitter

8. striatic says:

jfry,

so i’m assuming Horcoff is ready to go, otherwise they’d recall a C, not PRV.

9. jfry says:

Horc said a couple of days ago that if this was the playoffs he’d be playing. So you’ve got to assume he understands its go time with Belanger out. I think I’d rather vdv if its going to be awhile.

1. Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    2. Gagner-Yakupov-Hemsky
    3. Belanger-Smyth-Petrell
    4. Lander-Hartikainen-Paajarvi

I bet that’s the lineup, unless they find a way to put Hordichuk in.

11. striatic says:

you mean Horcoff, not Belanger?

12. pboy says:

Didn’t MacT write George Laraque’s name onto the line-up card pretty much every game for 5+ seasons? The same George Laraque who would play a semi regular shift for most of the 1st period then he would have his ass stapled to the bench for most of the rest of the game. I’m not so sure that MacT is quite the visionary in regards to “nuclear deterrents” that he’s being made out to be.

13. jfry says:

George could cycle the puck down low and buy 40 seconds. We haven’t had a knuckle chucker who could do that since

14. pboy says:

I agree completely that some games George could be an effective player. Usually though, he would go really, really long stretches on the bench without seeing any ice time. And the coach who used a line-up spot like that, was Mac-T.

striatic:

you mean Horcoff, not Belanger?

Yes. If I were sane, I would have written it that way.

16. Ryan says:

Maybe a reasonable time to send down Lander and recall acrobello

17. Ryan says:

Small sample size, but LT’s looking like Nostradamus picking Gagner over Eberle on the RE.

Have to assume Gagner’s getting the push with Yakupov on his line for softer / ozone minutes, but I’d have to check btn.

Ryan:
    Maybe a reasonable time to send down Lander and recall acrobello

19. BONVIE says:

signing Cheechoo maybe?

20. Ryan says:

Lowetide: They need a PK/faceoff/veteran/defensive minded replacement. Lander isn’t all of those things, but he can PK and that’s the job he’ll have when he’s ready.

Last year Lander was in way over his head. Not sure 14 ahl / 2 nhl games are enough to change that.

21. Ryan says:

jfry:

Miss those days. I don’t know anyone that could keep a puck in the ozone corner as long as Laraque.

22. delooper says:

Ryan: Well, Ryan Smyth *could* do that as well. Kelly Buchburger in his prime could spend all day in the corners. But unlike Laraque, Smyth and Buchburger would eventually get the puck to someone in front of the net.

23. spoiler says:

Ryan: Last year Lander was in way over his head.Not sure 14 ahl / 2 nhl games are enough to change that.

It’s still not Arcobello’s skillset. Lander was the guy to call-up. And it does him no harm to play some NHL minutes. The confidence the organization is showing in hime might also do him wonders.

24. Ryan says:

spoiler,

Any updates on Belanger’s injury?

25. jp says:

Too bad, Belanger wasn’t playing so badly. A team ought to be able to absorb the loss of their 4C, so hopefully the Oil will be OK. If Horcoff is ready to go (which presumably he is) then Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen as a 4th line should be reasonable. Lander hasn’t been terrible when he’s not playing with Hordichuk.

Also, Zharkov pointless and -4 today. He needs to go 10-9-4-13 to get back to last years pace. Maybe he will, but I’m not convinced he deserves an up arrow.

26. spoiler says:

Ryan:
    spoiler,

Any updates on Belanger’s injury?

Sorry, bro. No clue. Don’t even know if it is his foot or wrist.

Nothing except for this quote from last night: “We’ll have the doctors check the foot out when we get home,” … “I think it’s going to be bad on the plane.”

28. Rondo says:

And I was hoping for a trade for Andrej Sekera

Paajarvi and Hartikainen are better wingers than Eager and Petrell. Lander between those two will be a decent 4th line, capable of 8-10 minutes, though probably less D-zone starts than if Belanger were the centre.

godot10: Paajarvi and Hartikainen are better wingers than Eager and Petrell.Lander between those two will be a decent 4th line, capable of 8-10 minutes, though probably less D-zone starts than if Belanger were the centre.

The key was finding a coach who acted like it.

And while I’m at it somewhere in here there was talk about Laraque being similar to Hordichuk. Laraque as an Oiler was far superior to any of the guys who have been in the role since he left. Not saying he was effective in other towns, but MacT got a lot out of him.

Laraque’s cycles were 4line cycles and when he turned the puck over there was 10 miles of track before a scoring chance. Hell, the Oilers could have used the useful Laraque all down the line here.

BG was an enforcer, fine. But he had some things he could do aside from being the toughest guy in the league.

32. Kris11 says:

A wise team would use Arcobello or find a dreg 4th line C from another team in the AHL.

The Oilers, by contrast, will go with Lander, even if he isn’t ready, which his AHL tiem suggests he isn’t.

33. Kris11 says:

I remember MacT saying you had to build a 4th line around Laraque.

And as much as Smyth and Buchberger could cycle well, no one could hold the puck better than Laraque. Unfortunately, he was useless in doing anything with the puck, but he could hold it damn near indefinitely, or at least until fatigue finally wore him down.

34. borisnikov says:

Laraque scored 13-16-29 148 +5 in ’00-’01. Anyone who thinks he wasn’t useful for stretches of time needs to give their head a shake. That’s a pretty useful 4th line player. When was the last time the Oli had a 4th line guy who chipped in like that?

35. delooper says:

The thing I never understood about Laraque is they could have just brainwashed him to think he’s always along the boards in the o-zone. Then he would have been able to drag the puck end zone to end zone, unaided, pushing the whole opposition team to the side. He’d have been unstoppable. Why he never figured that out confuses me to this day.

Dustin Penner more or less has this understood, he’s just not quite as unstoppable as Laraque.

36. Maggie the Monkey says:

As nobody else has brought it up, I’ll mention that Big Georges also registered a hat trick one year, too. I think it was against the Kings. If there’s another nuclear deterrent who’s done that in the NHL I don’t know who it is.

37. delooper says:

Maggie: Bob Probert had a had trick and scared a heck of a lot more players than Laraque did. Primarily because Probert was on the ice all the time, against the best players the opposition had.

38. bendelson says:

The drunk standing beside me at a urinal says its a broken toe.
    Book it.

39. delooper says:

Why don’t hockey players wear more robust skates? I bought a new flashy pair of Grafs recently, they were less than half the weight of my old Bauer 5000′s (from 1997). I wore the Grafs for a few games, and would go home with giant welts all over my feet. One game a slash burst open an artery in my foot, and it turned black from my toes to just over my ankle. Now I take very good care of my Bauer 5000′s and continue to wear them all the time.

40. FPB94 says:

delooper,

I guess it’s a lifelong dilemna with equipment (same goes with sticks). Most guys are sponsored so they are forced to promote the new stock from their companies.

Personally I use Warrior gear and I’ve been fine with a good mix of comfort/safety/light. Grafs seem like figure skating skates.

41. Thinker says:

Saw mps on the plane home from denver. You’ll be happy to know he is safe at home now. He happily signed things for me and all my friends. The guy is a class act, and I wish him all the luck in the world.

42. FPB94 says:

Thinker,

Nice stuff. Good to see things like that.