PANIC IN DETROIT!

Remember last season when the LA Kings couldn’t score goals? It was pretty dire–they scored only 26 goals in their first 11 games (one more than the Oilers have managed this season) and by game 35 they were on coach #3. We all know how that turned out.

The Oilers do have some good things–Dennis King’s scoring chances show us that much–but there are also a lot of struggles with this hockey club right now. What can they do in the short term?

1. Don’t do anything rash. This is one time when Steve Tambellini’s measured approach (measure twice, cut once!) is very wise.
  2. Focus on the positive. Hall and Hemsky are pushing the river and getting chances, Nuge looked really good today and Schultz the younger is like a brand new fast car. The goaltending has been very good, even Methuselah looked good today.
  3. Take the pressure off those who are feeling the heat. My list would include Eberle, Whitney and perhaps Petry and Smyth a little.
  4. Back to basics. Oilers need more pucks at the net on the PP and cleaner and entries breakouts to my eye, I’m sure you have your list too.
  5. Don’t make things out to be worse than they are right now. Oilers have lost 5 in a row, but they’ve also picked up some Bettman points and even the poor rebuild teams showed an ability to go on winning streaks.
  6. Understand that this too shall pass. Those pucks will start going in, history teaches us that shots and chances are followed by goals. Oilers are on the good side of the graph in that way.

Finally, improve the team where possible. Which brings me to the Hordichuk and Peckham roster spots. Theo played last night and after this weekend should be at least ready to be a 7D behind Smid-Petry, Schultz-Schultz, Whitney-Potter. Which means the club either deals one of those 6, offloads Fistric (unlikely) or trades Peckham. If you make that move while also flushing Hordichuk there are two roster spots available.

Could the Oilers deal for a veteran defenseman like Lubo, who would take Theo’s roster spot? Or could they pick up Vernon Fiddler who could take the Hordichuk spot? If not those two, then players of similar ability?

I’m not talking Panic in Detroit. I’m talking intelligent roster makeup. If the Oiler management group wants to give this team every opportunity to make the playoffs, these moves should be made soon.

76 Responses to "PANIC IN DETROIT!"

1. Lewko says:

Well said Lowetide. I’m very frustrated by what I’m watching if only because I feel like they are close. When they were bad it was easier to watch. This is almost harder as it feels like they are very close but just not quite there. I believe in the talent and am hopeful things will improve. A Dman and another C on the depth side would be helpful but no panic moves please!

I didn’t like the new lines today. The old ones were fine. The kids are going to breakout. Line 4 with Paarjavi and harti was working. I didn’t like Yak buried today and no cohesion on the Gagner-Hall-Hemsky line…

One thing I saw today is that maybe Hall-Hemsky isn’t going to work because the 2line doesn’t have an outstanding puck carrier (although I think Nuge is splendid). The original lines seemed to work better, although it was just one game.

Hartikainen didn’t play much (less than 10 minutes). I was surprised by it, he seemed to be in the action way more than some who played 10+.

3. lazerguidedmelody says:

That Bowie track still gets me excited, even after all these years.

A look at the +/- tonight ain’t too pretty. Hall +3, RNH +1, J Schultz +1. And that’s it. Smid and Whitney -6. Yikes!

4. Ryan says:

Well, it’s safe to say that the Oilers don’t get a free pass this season (like the last three+ years). No one is expecting Hall to hoist the Stanley this spring, but exciting last place hockey is not ok.

I like Kreuger, but this falls on him simply due to his job title. Tambo has to throw him a bone or a pink slip. If he does the latter, he’s signing his own resignation letter.

Brainstorming…

Whitney and Paajarvi (with the Oilers eating $2 million of Whitney’s salary) to the Islanders for Mark Streit and Josh Bailey.

6. speeds says:

Hall is the face of the franchise, an excellent 5 on 5 player, but IMO should not be on 5 on 3 PP ahead of 83 or 64. I’ve heard a lot about specialization this year, 5v4 skillset is not necessarily the same as 5v3, Hall is a big asset for zone entry on 5v4, not as big an issue 5v3, IMO Yakupov is both a better shooter and passer than Hall in that specific game situation.

7. Bushed says:

I’d love to see Fiddler here, but he is/was a buddy of Lupul’s and no doubt didn’t get a glowing report from him re the Edmonton experience. On the other hand, that was some time ago, so who knows? (PS Lupul is at the top of my all-time crappiest Oilers list, oustripping even the famous Patty-O-Lantern. Consolation? He now plays for the Leafs, with his buddy Phaneuf…)

“Don’t do anything rash.” Oh-oh. I didn’t see MacT in the pressbox, did you? Looks like Lowe and Dithers may have ditched the calm voice of reason and re-assessment on this trip. Now I’m scared…

8. Ryan says:

Me? I’d deal Samwise, not because he’s “too small and can’t win face offs,” rather because I think there’s an opportunity to sell high, the top six needs a different look, and a Garmin wouldn’t help him find his way around in the defensive zone.

The Oilers don’t have much to deal that they’re willing to part with. I don’t think Whitney; Potter, Cory; Peckman; PRV, or our prospects are going to get anything of significant value in exchange.

speeds:
    Hall is the face of the franchise, an excellent 5 on 5 player, but IMO should not be on 5 on 3 PP ahead of 83 or 64.I’ve heard a lot about specialization this year, 5v4 skillset is not necessarily the same as 5v3, Hall is a big asset for zone entry on 5v4, not as big an issue 5v3, IMO Yakupov is both a better shooter and passer than Hall in that specific game situation.

Great post. Hadn’t thought of it that way, you’re absolutely right. Use Hall 5×5 and 5×4, but have Yakupov out for 5-on-3s. Tough sell for the coach, though. Right?

Bushed:

I’m fairly certain that MacT saw the comedy coming and exited before the camera caught him. the big brains rarely get caught in that kind of snafu.

11. Doug McLachlan says:

With all the Ovechkin trade talk silliness yesterday, I got to thinking who Washington might trade. Would the Oilers be interested in Green? What would be a trade that would work?

12. Ryan says:

PRV is not a bad puck carrier at times though he can’t do much with it.

Agreed that Hemsky and Hall have to be on separate lines for that reason alone.

Adding Hall to that line did more harm than good for Sam Gagner since Hall drags the top opposition along with himself.

I missed part of that game due to work, but that line looked terrible. Could have been Datysuk.

13. Bushed says:

Too funny. Hope you’re right.

Looks like Lowe caught on, too, as he was leaving just as the camera panned onto the two keystone cop GM’s.

14. Ryan says:

godot10:
    Brainstorming…

If I’m the Islanders, no way I make that trade.

Bailey’s a good thought, He’s crushing the AHL.

15. hunter1909 says:

My panic was 2-3 games ago – I must be an advanced case because already I’ve stopped thinking the Oilers are going to win, score goals, whatever.

On the bright side, they show staggering under 23 talent(the Wings feed says 75% of Oiler points were coming from the under 23′s on the team), are giving the opposition a far better run for their money than last season overall, but winning? Man, they’re sinking like a rock. Last time I dared look they were in 9th, and as for Kevin Lowe(who for anyone’s guess is providing the guiding light behind the management thinking) is going to continue to provide the darwinian experience of watching the young kids getting hammered – or not.

The question is: Next year do they blow another one? Is there a doctor in the house?

16. Gret99zky says:

Too early to panic. Detroit, afternoon game, on the road, injuries, new lines, Khabby’s first game back. It was close. Could have gone either way.

Please, Ralph, put the lines back to what they were for tomorrow.

Vs. Columbus is a winnable game. Must win TBH.

17. Ryan says:

hunter1909,

We all knew it was coming. I called the tipping point prior to the Dallas game iirc.

The Oilers were riding the PP/Pk, both of which are long since earth bound while EV was a whole lot of suck albeit with low shooting %.

We didn’t need Jonathan Willis to bring us back down to earth this season.

18. striatic says:

viewing this as the third 5 game segment, this isn’t that big a deal.

oilers need to win 3 of their next 4 though.

Columbus, Dallas, Colorado, LA.

Columbus and Colorado are must win games.

must win one of Dallas and LA.

this is very doable. no time to panic.

time to panic is if they fail to do this.

speeds:

So nailing Wayne Gretzky’s ass to the bench like Marc Crawford did was the right thing to do?

Hall is the lead alpha dog. You don’t nail the ass of your lead alpha dog to the bench.

20. hunter1909 says:

Ryan,

“The 2013 Oilers need 1980 Wayne Gretzky.” Lowe

speeds:

So when the Oilers brought Taylor Hall into the room to sell Justin Schultz on Edmonton, I’m sure he told Justin that his (Taylor’s) ass was going to be on the bench in critical situations.

22. Romulus Apotheosis says:

maybe ST is a cracked actor?

23. hunter1909 says:

I remember wanting Pat Quinn to coach to somehow give the team more toughness; then today I wanted them to have Renney back to let Yakupov develop positively; and I still count myself a fan of Kreuger.

-a tripolar Oiler fan-

24. hunter1909 says:

I remember noticing Yakupov; who at one point was standing in the defensive zone and doing nothing but standing still watching the play – and a light went off in my head, with a voice saying “I can do that”.

25. Clay says:

When it comes to the bottom pairing dmen, it has to be Whitney who goes. He just doesn’t have a future with this team. The coach took your letter away and scratched you to boot – writing is on the wall!

At this point, once he’s healthy, Fistric would be my choice as the permanent #5 dman, and the last spot can be shared between Potter, Whitney, and Peckham. I’d give every other game to Potter until Peckham proved one way or the other what his deal is at the NHL level, and if Peckham can tread water at least, then trade Whitney for whatever you can get. Surely he has some trade deadline value.

I’m not saying his career is over, it’s just over for the Oilers.

26. Zelepukin says:

I get the reasoning behind putting out 83 or 64 on 5v3 before Hallsy in terms of those two having a skillset that is slightly more beneficial than Hall’s, but it’s not that big of a difference. Hallsy is still above average puck handler and decision maker on the pp. We just have the luxury of comparing great players against each other. This becomes most evident when you see anyone outside of Hallsy, Nuge, Ebs, Hemsky, Gags, JSchultz, Yaks handling the puck off the boards on the pp.

hunter1909:

-a tripolar Oiler fan-

Krueger may need Hall with Gagner and Hemsky on the road for own zone faceoffs, so Yak can develop positively, at least until Belanger is back.

Some time away from Hemsky and Gagner is good. It means he gets some time being the lead dog on his line.

Krueger is giving him PP time.

What exactly is Krueger doing wrong?

This year’s shooting percentage (all game states) compared to last year for most of the OIlers:

Nail Yakupov 26.3 – N/A
    Teemu Hartikainen 0 – 8.3
    Jeff Petry 0 – 1.8
    Nick Schultz 0 – 2
    Corey Potter 0 – 4.1
    Eric Belanger 0 – 3.4
    Magnus Paajarvi 0 – 2.5

Where IS that switch? Once they find it, the Oilers kids are going to be flying.

30. Ryan says:

I don’t see it?

Hemsky cancels out Eberle. Hall and Nuge are due for a correction, but I don’t see blue sky.

31. sliderule says:

The oiler young guns are gripping their sticks real tight.

I don’t think they will breakout until they shoot against some bad goaltending.

So we could be in for this for a while.

32. Gret99zky says:

Missed shots? Shots that weren’t taken? Unreal saves? Zones or scoring areas?

How does Dennis determine scoring chances? In layman’s terms.

Ryan: I don’t see it?

Hemsky cancels out Eberle.Hall and Nuge are due for a correction, but I don’t see blue sky.

The Oilers EV shooting percentage is very low. Overall, the team is below average compared to their own past. All the arrows point in one direction. It’ll happen.

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

So… Healy just said he “loves” toronto for putting out their “tough guys” against Galchenyuk and Gallagher.

can we fire all these people somehow?

the adoration for “toughness” is as pathetic as it is self-defeating.

35. hunter1909 says:

Hemsky’s a bad influence in two ways: First he’s stealing ice time from the young players, also the fact they might be afraid to play better than him(admittedly his recent play has been at high level)..and as a result, the entire team is now playing like Hemsky always did.

36. hunter1909 says:

Hahahahahaha.

37. db7db7 says:

Gawd was it difficult to watch them repeatedly try to wrap the puck around the boards directly onto a Detroit stick. We need to take that one extra second in our own end to make smarter decisions. As much as I am hating Whitney every game, he’s the only one I’ve noticed who seems to be thinking in his own end (however, without proper timing and quick feet he’s made to look a fool).

38. VanOil says:

hunter1909:
    I remember noticing Yakupov; who at one point was standing in the defensive zone and doing nothing but standing still watching the play – and a light went off in my head,with a voice saying “I can do that”.

I had a similar feeling with Yakupov’s lack of foot movement in the D zone. Then on the next shift I saw Eberle do a similar thing. Personally I lack your talent and would be to out of breath from skating to the D zone to just stand there, but I can yell ‘move your feet’ from the cheap seats. Both these players have the ability to be exceptional at both ends of the ice.

On a different topic does any one else recall a story about young Jets players Selanne and Tkachuk had a bet on who could get the most shots on net every game as they both wanted to raise there shot totals? Defiantly the young guns have the spare loot the could afford such things.

39. raventalon40 says:

db7db7:

Yeah I noticed he played better this game too. I wonder if he knows something about playing in front of the Joe Louis crowd that we don’t know… (insert ridiculous Detroit trade rumour here)

40. sliderule says:

How about Whiney for Brendan Smith..

Detroit gets PP specialist who they can shelter.Edmonton gets young defenceman for a guy we don’t need.Benefit is Petry gets to play second PP unit.

There has to be a reason for all that oiler brass on a two day road trip.

Martindale (Cornet, Fedun) Martindale is starting to put some space between himself and the other kids up front in OKC. Him and Rajala imo.

42. oilersfan says:

Tyler Myers was a healthy scratch for Buffalo today. Would he be available?

I wonder if Whitney, Klefbom and PRV would do it for Buffalo. It would do it for me.

OF: Man, you’d think Buffalo wouldn’t trade a big part of their team so soon after the lockout. I don’t know that the Oilers could get him but sure, if they can get Tyler Myers that would be a very good thing.

44. DBO says:

Said it earlier, but go get Brian Boyle out of the Rangers. Solid two way tough centre with size who can kill penalties. he has been healthy scratched a few times. The Rags window is this year and next, so move a vet for the younger player. They need PP help, and Whitney fits if paired with someone else.

Might be time to split up Smid and Petry as both have struggled. no idea who to move around, but maybe Fistric with Petry, then Smid with the leftovers (Whitney or Potter).

And I’ll say it again, need vets who do stuff. PEtrell is a solid PKer, but that is all. Smyth is OK, Horc helps, Belanger can win faceoffs, Eager is OK sometimes sort of. Sorry, but all of these guys are moveable and replaceable. Need to add scoring in the bottom 6, well we have a former 50 goal guy in the minors. need better two way D play, we have a solid vet in the minors. Change it up and quick, cause the year is more then 25% over.

And finally, when things aren’t working pretty, you need some ugly. This team has no ugly in it’s game and we need that in a huge way.

45. Ducey says:

Let me suggest that this team is right on track. They are not a playoff team and changing a few players around the fringes or juggling the lineup won’t make it one. 20th place overall will be a nice progression. Anyone expecting more has unrealistic expectations. .

The kids need to grow up and its going to take some time.

Relax.

46. speeds says:

godot10,

You make the best decisions you can. I’m sure everyone would like to play on the 5v3 PP, what matters is which 5 players give you the best chance of scoring a goal.

There has been a lot of talk in the past about a “culture of entitlement” in EDM. I never really bought into that, because I’m not in the room, I don’t have any first hand sources – I have no way of knowing if it’s true.

But if you want to create a culture of entitlement, then by all means play the players that aren’t the best suited for a situation because they are a veteran/signed to big money/the future/the coach likes him, etc etc.

If your argument is that Hall is one of the 5 best and should be on the ice, fine, that’s one thing. If not, let him (and every other player not in the initial 5) know that once they have a better combination of passing and shooting with some time and space than Yakupov, they can have his spot. Once they are a better playmaker than RNH, they can have his spot. Once they can do what Schultz does better than him, they can have his job

Zelepukin,

I don’t think Hall is a terrible option on the 5v3 or anything, I just don’t think he’s the one of the best five from what I’ve seen – his skillset is more suited to other game situations

Yes, but Hall has the weakest vision of all 7 of the players you list, thus a big part of why he shouldn’t be the first choice on a 5 on 3. That isn’t the same thing, at all, as saying he has bad vision

47. crude says:

Ducey:
    Let me suggest that this team is right on track.They are not a playoff team and changing a few players around the fringes or juggling the lineup won’t make it one.20th place overall will be a nice progression.Anyone expecting more has unrealistic expectations..

The kids need to grow up and its going to take some time.

Relax.

I agree.

48. Gret99zky says:

Ducey:

The kids need to grow up and its going to take some time.

Relax.

Totally agree.

I would consider a 20th place finish a huge success. They are not a playoff team.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

so… did cbc fire Rick Ball or what?

since that first HNIC I haven’t seen him. I hope something horrible didn’t happen, because he is much better (as irritating as he is IMO) than Mark Lee .

Barons explode in the 3rd. Goals tonight from Martindale, Green, Cheechoo, Byers, Rajala, Cornet

51. nelson88 says:

Someone posted a while back that Martindale had won some coaches poll in junior regarding his face off ability? I have little doubt his defensive game is not bob gainey at his age/development but if they keep having injuries among the C I would love to see them bring him up for a game or two and play him with some skilled players.

A large C that has skill and can take draws would be an absolute god send for this organization so might as well see how far he is.

52. Lewis Grant says:

Oilers shot differential is second worst in the league.

I don’t care how snakebit we are at EV. That first stat tells me that this is not a good team.

We need another top-4 (really top-2) defenseman BAD. Other than the SJ game, Dubnyk has been around .940. That’s an encouraging sign, but he will not keep that up.

If it takes Gagner+ to get a real D-man, that’s OK. If it takes Yakupov to do it….I think I’m even OK with that, depending on the player coming back.

I’d sure take a long hard look at Myers (another Alberta boy).

Lewis Grant:
    Oilers shot differential is second worst in the league.

I don’t care how snakebit we are at EV.That first stat tells me that this is not a good team.

We need another top-4 (really top-2) defenseman BAD.Other than the SJ game, Dubnyk has been around .940.That’s an encouraging sign, but he will not keep that up.

If it takes Gagner+ to get a real D-man, that’s OK.If it takes Yakupov to do it….I think I’m even OK with that, depending on the player coming back.

I’d sure take a long hard look at Myers (another Alberta boy).

With respect, that’s beyond the pale. If the Oilers trade Yakupov at this point, they’ll never get anywhere. He could be the best #1 of the bunch. Things aren’t that bad, and even if they were dealing Yakupov makes no sense.

54. Captain Happy says:

As some may recall, I warned at the end of last season that the Oilers were very fortunate to score as many goals as they did.

Despite finishing 29th with 26.7 shots/game, they were 20th in goals/game.

This season, they are 24th in shots/game and 23rd in goals/game.

They are currently being outshot by 6.2 shots/game while last season they were outshot by 4 shots/game.

The law of averages is a bitch.

55. Clay says:

I’m now cheering like bejesus for Martindale. Woa man, but if they could have a skilled centre with size materialize out of their own organization, that would be just a notch below the gift of Schultz…

56. gogliano says:

Captain Happy:

Despite finishing 29th with 26.7 shots/game, they were 20th in goals/game.

This season, they are 24th in shots/game and 23rd in goals/game.

The law of averages is a bitch.

I’m not sure what you mean. I didn’t notice anyone here by the name of Captain Happy until pretty recently–certainly not as far back as the Spring. You must be mistaken.

57. commonfan14 says:

Captain Happy: The law of averages is a bitch.

In related news, Brian Elliot stinks again and suddenly the Blues (losers of 4 straight, 21 GA) don’t look like such a perfectly built team and Hitchcock doesn’t look like such a genius.

58. Captain Happy says:

gogliano: I’m not sure what you mean.I didn’t notice anyone here by the name of Captain Happy until pretty recently–certainly not as far back as the Spring.You must be mistaken.

I don’t think Captain Happy means what you think it means. :)

59. Gret99zky says:

Captain Happy: I don’t think Captain Happy means what you think it means.

I tried to log into an account using the acronym for Dashing Silver Fox but the server refused to accept it and immediately directed me to a bridge in something called the 3 Billy Goats Gruff. weird.

60. bookjLe says:

Can everyone who wanted to send NK out to the farm (not the farm team, but the other farm, where he can run and play with all of the other former NHLers) and keep Yan Danis here relax now.

To add to the context Danis let in five goals today on 27 shots and has a 0.900 Sv percentage in the AHL.

NK has no future in Edmonton, but he is good enough to tend the net for 8-10 games and to fill in for the short term if DD gets injured.

Certainly he is better than Danis and Bishop, at least for the time being. If his back ends his career at some point or something, they can just call Danis up.

61. Gret99zky says:

The Blues may be interested in NK. I hear their goalie sucks.

62. Ribs says:

Of course I took a flyer on Elliot in the pool. C’mon, man!!

63. jp says:

Captain Happy:

Despite finishing 29th with 26.7 shots/game, they were 20th in goals/game.

This season, they are 24th in shots/game and 23rd in goals/game.

The law of averages is a bitch.

Do you or do you not believe the scoring chance data posted earlier?

It’s almost as though you’re arguing for corsi here.

64. Reg Dunlop says:

If I am reading a LT post titled Panic in Ohio tomorrow… that will be a perfect time to panic.

65. Captain Happy says:

jp: Do you or do you not believe the scoring chance data posted earlier?

It’s almost as though you’re arguing for corsi here.

Corsi is NOT shots on goal.

And “scoring chances” are very subjective.

Every attempted shot that doesn’t hit the net will NOT result in a goal.

See Patrick O’Sullivan for reference.

66. Captain Happy says:

Gret99zky:
    The Blues may be interested in NK.I hear their goalie sucks.

I hear the Canucks have a goalie available.

67. Ducey says:

Ryan: Ducey, Let me suggest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness

Seeing you have the internet handy – look up the word “patience”.

68. Ryan says:

Ducey,

Haha, that wiki wasn’t for you personally. I meant Tambo.

-Tambellini could make a trade to address need, right now, today.

I get the patience thing. Presumably tanking for #1′s is over. I don’t expect a blockbuster trade, but there’s no reason not to have a GM running the team instead of autopilot.

69. copperblueandwhite says:

sliderule,

I don’t think they will breakout until they shoot against some bad goaltending.

COLUMBUS??

70. BONVIE says:

Captain Happy:

Despite finishing 29th with 26.7 shots/game, they were 20th in goals/game.

This season, they are 24th in shots/game and 23rd in goals/game.

The law of averages is a bitch.

I do recall how you thought that Minnesota would be top dog in the west and saying how much better Granlund was than Yakapov.

More toys from somekingofninja:

Vollman charts for the same player in multiple years on the same chart to see how he is used over time.

Taylor Hall:

72. jp says:

Captain Happy: Corsi is NOT shots on goal.

And “scoring chances” are very subjective.

Every attempted shot that doesn’t hit the net will NOT result in a goal.

See Patrick O’Sullivan for reference.

So you’re saying you do not believe the scoring chance numbers, that’s correct?

What I’m seeing when I watch the games is a team that’s got the puck in dangerous areas a lot, but too often doesn’t translate that to a shot at or on goal. The anti Patrick O’Sullivan. I’m seeing a team that’s not too far from even in scoring chances, but who is still getting outshot by a fair margin. The scoring chance data backs this up, but you’re right that it’s subjective.

73. Ryan says:

Good kill by 94. Oh it was 5v5.

74. Ryan says:

Is it just me or do the Jackets have the best names in hockey?

75. Ryan says:

This is some kinda terrible hockey. Fire Kreuger.