ROSTER MOVES

Theo Peckham has been a “fringe” NHL player for about 6 seasons now, I don’t know that he’s ever felt like he was ‘here to stay.’ Through 156 NHL games–basically two full seasons–Peckham has provided muscle for the team and done his on the job training under the bright lights.

We know there’s a maturation process with all of these kids, just as we know it about our own lives. Look, I’m no expert in the field of motivation and I don’t know a thing about Peckham’s fitness level (Jason Gregor today: “Reports of him being ridiculously out of shape are inaccurate. His weight, body fat % and testing wasn’t much different than 2012 I was told”) and things done wrong real or imagined (he was doing three-a-day’s recently so something wasn’t right).

I do think it is reasonable to suggest that based on how this season has gone–or hasn’t gone for Theo–that the organization has issues. Jason Gregor tells us (and Jason is credible) that it isn’t about conditioning, and now Theo Peckham is heading to OKC to get into game shape. Whatever the issues–injury, maturity–I sincerely hope this young man can grab this opportunity. If it is still there.

The Oilers recall of Mark Arcobello has to be one of the great recent examples of a player overcoming enormous odds to make the NHL. I never thought he’d make it:

• June 26, 2011: C Mark Arcobello: Not on the radar to begin the season, the undersized center forced his way up the OKC depth chart upon his arrival. An absolute long shot to have an NHL career, there are Frank St. Marseille’s every once in awhile and this guy might be one.

and it took a long time (longer for me than many who read this blog) to come around on him.

• December 28, 2012: Have the Oilers found a useful item in Mark Arcobello? I think we’re at a point where the player should get some consideration for at least a 10 game audition in the NHL. Now, I’m completely aware that he’s in a fabulous spot, but it’s also true that there were other candidates for his current role and Arcobello won the day. He can make a difference at evens in the AHL and can play with skilled men at that level. Can he fill a role in the NHL?

Well done, Mark Arcobello. Godspeed.

31 Responses to "ROSTER MOVES"

1. crude says:

Is Marcobello playing 4th line? People here are always (rightly) concerned about putting players in the proper position to succeed – See: Omark, Linus

I’m really wishing him the best.

2. spoiler says:

I was wondering the same thing about Peckham, after reading the Gregor article… That there had to be something more that the organization is unhappy about. Was he maybe asked to go to OKC during the lockout and refused? Did a drug test come back positive? Did he start smoking cigarettes. Don’t know, but where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

Based on what we heard today, I think we might see:

1. Gagner-Hall-Hemsky
    2. Nuge-Yak-Eberle
    3. Arco-Smyth-Petrell
    4. Lander-Hartikainen-Paajarvi

Seven forwards drafted by MBS, only one of them selected after #40 overall.

spoiler:

5. sliderule says:

Gregor said his body fat was about the same as 2012.

Therein is the problem.

Super nice guy absolutely no discipline with food.

6. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Don’t know, but there’s a side of the story we aren’t getting. And that’s fine, but lets hope Theo gets it, whatever “it” is.

Well, there’s definitely a point being made to the lad. I hope he gets it too.

Non-waiver eligible players were NOT allowed to go to the AHL during the lockout period. Peckham was wavier eligible, hence he could NOT play in the AHL during the lockout.

There is a big difference playing on a 4th line between Paajarvi and Hartikainen, than between Eager and Hordichuk. If Arcobello ends up between the first two, he will be in a position to succeed, especially since he has played a lot with each of those guys, though mostly separately.

sliderule:
    Gregor said his body fat was about the same as 2012.

Therein is the problem.

Super nice guy absolutely no discipline with food.

A big difference is Renney isn’t the coach.

RK constantly referred to have 7 Dmen on the roster, even though there were 8 with Theo.

Theo actually had to instigate a conversation with RK yesterday or today and that was the first time they spoke 1 on 1 since camp began.

For a guy who reportedly communicates as obsessively as RK, that’s a big deal.

My guess is that RK has no time for players who don’t respect themselves or the team by showing up in half assed shape.

NHL is the toughest league in the world. Theo doesn’t act like it.

9. Ryan says:

Boys, enjoy the next few games. Really.

I’ve been an Oiler fan long enough to know we’re at the tipping point. We’re sixth in the WC and just 2 north of 12th.

The Oil will get dropped by the Peleton and we’ll be talking about the draft again real soon.

That’s okay. I’m used to it. :). We can all see it coming.

10. dulock says:

You can give Arcobello (and Fedun) to MBS as well. They were amateurs when they signed and that’s his department.

11. bookjLe says:

Woodguy: He was chided last year for showing up out of shape, so if he was the same as last season, there you go.

A big difference is Renney isn’t the coach.

For a guy who reportedly communicates as obsessively as RK, that’s a big deal.

NHL is the toughest league in the world.Theo doesn’t act like it.

I don’t know if this holds true on other screens, but on my iPhone, every second line of your comment creates an interesting triangular pattern. Did you write it in some advanced Japanese verse form or something?

Also, I agree. I think Theo thinks 5lbs is no big deal, but I suspect the team has given him his wake up moment to push him to the next level.

Ryan:
    Boys, enjoy the next few games.Really.

I’ve been an Oiler fan long enough to know we’re at the tipping point.We’re sixth in the WC and just 2 north of 12th.

That’s okay. I’m used to it.:) . We can all see it coming.

I would love to see the Oilers address the Horcoff injury, though.

13. Captain Happy says:

Lowetide: I disagree. When the shooting percentage Gods come back to Capistrano, the Oilers will hit a very nice hot streak. We’re seeing it tonight in Detroit–Flames have been playing in Dust Bowl bad luck but it turns in Hockeytown.

I would love to see the Oilers address the Horcoff injury, though.

The Oilers are 30th in the league in SA/G at 34.4.

They give up 7 shots more than they take every 60 minutes.

The shooting percentage Gods WILL come back to Capistrano but you’re not going to like the results.

Captain Happy: The Oilers are 30th in the league in SA/G at 34.4.

They give up 7 shots more than they take every 60 minutes.

Shooting percentage under 6% and PDO of 970.

15. Captain Happy says:

Lowetide: http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/2/4/pdo-numbers-by-nhl-team-feb-4

Shooting percentage under 6% and PDO of 970.

There are all sorts of issues with PDO that we certainly don’t need to go over again but let me ask you a direct question…do you think the Oilers can be successful if they get outshot by 7 SOG every game?

In order to do so I would think either or both of their shooting percentage or save percentage would have to be well above league average.

Do you honestly think they are?

16. Ryan says:

DSF has his issues, but he occassionally hits the nail on the head.

In yesterday’s thread, he said something about the Oilers not having enough average to above average players. In simpler terms, they have too many below average players.

Our bottom six when healthy could sandbag several playoff teams. I’m a Petry fan, but Smid Petry is not a top pairing in the NHL or not a very good one.

I’m not sure the Penguins could make the playoffs with our defensemen.

I’m not a sky is falling type of guy, so I hope no one gets that impression.

The top line seems to be treading water against some big lines which is an up arrow.

Yak’s a blast to watch.

A wise blogger once said that the Oilers don’t have enough actual NHL players. With Horcov and Belnger out, that’s probably the case.

Even the vets we did have prior to injuries, Hemsky’s the only one who isn’t a feint shadow of the player they used to be.

A mix of wonder kids (Hall, Nuge, Yak, Schultz,, Eberle), spent forces (Belanger, Whitney, Horcov, smyth), good to above average players (Smid, Petry, Schultz sr), below average players (Petrell, Jones, Hordichuk, Potter), and questionable rookies (PRV, lander, Hartkinen) is not a playoff recipe. That’s just reality.

Mike Gillis said something about this truncated season is not the year to break in rookies and that many teams will use vets instead.

The Oilers have Yakupov, Schultz, Lander, PRV, Hartikinen, and now arcobello.

17. hunter1909 says:

I’ll state for the record: I like Ryan Whitney’s character, and as a human being I can think of no one finer who suits up for the copper and blue. If only his physical health was sturdier…

Theo Peckham on the other hand I TOTALLY FUCKING DESPISE: Since, the tw@t’s seemingly has the NHL by the proverbials and, despite being handed a golden opportunity to achieve something honestly astounding…instead he chooses to act like an entitled punk, wasting everyone’s time whicheverway he goes.

Yes yes yes, we all are dying for him to get it together etc…

18. digdeepnbleedblue says:

I’d like to these lines:

Hall-Arcobello-Yakupov
    Hemsky-RNH-Eberle
    Smyth-Gagner-Petrell
    Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen

I realize the coach has two sets of center and winger combos, but I would like to see Yak and Hall together to see if they have any chemistry. Two speedy, aggressive, shooter/play-makers could be something cool to watch. And, effective.

Hemsky will still gain the zone for his line, but the key to that line is if RNH and Eberle can get it going. They seem a little lost right now.

I liked the Nordic line last night and did in the 2011-12 pre-season. They fore check. The whole team needs to get a little greasy imho.

No disrespect to Gagner, but he ain’t the straw that stirs the drink on that 2nd line. Hemsky is.

Potter looked better than Whitney, but not by much.

I like Teddy. I hope he gets his shit together. And, that’s all I got from my armchair….

19. Ryan says:

Strudwick said something after the game about if you’re Dallas headed to Edmonton to play Nuge, Gagner, Lander, and VV (Aeprcobello now), you can’t wait to get here.

The good news is that the Oilers have enough talent to make for some entertaining hockey.

Schultz IS manna from heaven.

Yakupov makes plenty of costly mistakes as a rookie, but has some incredible hands as advertised.

The top line is due for a regression to the mean which in this case is a good thing.

Our PP has mostly been fun to watch.

ES has been a struggle even with a full roster.

Dubnyk’s having a very respectable season minus one period against the Sharks.

The oilers will still be a joy to watch, but there’s no second season on the horizon this year.

20. delooper says:

I think things will go okay with the Oilers for a while yet. They’re not the only team with injury problems. They played the Canucks quite well, considering the Canucks were a top-flight team last year and the oilers were the first from the bottom.

21. hunter1909 says:

delooper,

You often make quite the most sense around here.

22. Bos8 says:

This year, I really don’t care where the team places going into the playoffs. They’re playing good hockey. I’m enjoying it.

Nuff said.

23. hunter1909 says:

Bos8,

Last night’s game was fantastic every time the refs stopped calling everything. A type of high level hockey unknown in Edmonton since the Mark Messier trade, basically. Yeah 2006….blah.

I’m sure the Canuck players liked playing(and beating) such an improved Oilers team. Next time, maybe Oilers win? When was the last time anyone could say that?

24. Bos8 says:

hunter1909:
    Bos8,

Yes, there are mistakes – Hey, I remember Houle, Lafleur, Tardiff line looking reallly silly trying to put the puck in the net. The thing is – the Oilers are entertaining. Hell, I’m even appreciating Smythy, and that’s a reach.

I’ll kvetch from time to time but overall – I’m good.

Now then, Hall not covering with two minutes left in the game. Nit, nit, nit.

25. Bos8 says:

Oh, and the Younger. Man he’s just a joy. “Hey Schultz, two minutes for looking so good”.

26. Kris11 says:

I would put Hall at C until either Horcoff or Belanger or back. If so, you could run:

Yakupov-Hall-Hemsky
    Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle
    Smyth-Gagner-MPS
    Petrell-Arcobello-Lander

IMO, the team would be fine with injuries at forward, or C specifically, if the defense wasn’t already so questionable. As is, all is lost.

Do remember that absolutely every idiot knew the Oilers should trade youth and picks for a starD-man, bu Tambellini is apparentlly a veryy uncommon idiot.

27. jfry says:

In one of the first days of camp the oilers site has an interview with pecks where he sorta chuckles and says, “everything was fine, but Christmas came at a bad time”

My dad could put on 25 pounds in December when he put his mind to it. I’ll bet pecks has a sick Corsi when it comes to the leftovers disappearing and a decent shooting percent take with dessert.

28. Gret99zky says:

The worst thing about the future is it takes so long to get here.

29. delooper says:

And then when it gets here you’re 40 years old and you wonder, “what have I been doing for the past 20 years?”

30. russ99 says:

Captain Happy,

I think you have to go beyond the numbers here and look at why are the Oilers getting outshot every game?

IMO, it’s twofold – penalties are way up and we’re not getting enough good scoring chances, especially from the kid line, and secondarily from the bottom six.

Penalty frequency we can’t control, but the other parts we can. It would be really interesting to see the average number of shots per times in the offensive zone. I’d bet it’s well under one.

The league has adjusted to us carrying the puck in, and the kids can’t make cutesy plays with the puck and succeed, or try to haul the puck in through the zone and expect to score by themselves. They need to work better as a team. Hall has 2 goals, Eberle has 3 and Hopkins has none. IMO, that’s a big reason why they’re pressing and maybe scoring at will in OKC has hurt them more than helped them.

Another factor is the steep learning curve this year. Renney gave them the soft minutes last year and this year they’re going against the top units.

31. dessert1111 says:

jfry:

I’m not quite sure what you’re suggesting here good sir, but I certainly would never let Peckham get anywhere near scoring with me, not my type…