STARS AT OILERS G10 (12-13) 6.2.13

As an old timer Oiler fan, about 20 years ago I began asking younger fans how they came to be enchanted by the Oildrop. It especially became an issue when encountering young people who didn’t see the Glory team. Almost without fail, it was the Marchant OT goal. I don’t know how long youngsters lay dormant as Oiler fans before the Marchant explosion, but it has been one long sustained primal scream since the puck went past Moog.

Sometimes I’d hear about “the save” that went down just before the goal (still don’t know how he saved it).

The fun thing about a new coach is that each injury, each challenge offers us a new opportunity to see inside the coaching strategy. Calling up Arcobello is not the traditional Oiler way (VandeVelde’s a ‘big body’) but this isn’t the man who put JF Jacques on a feature line. There are lots of options:

• Move Hall down to the Gagner line and Yakupov to the Nuge line (keeping the RW’s as is).
  • Moving Smyth or Hall to C.

Ben Eager has also been cleared, so there may be more than two moves tonight (Whitney in for Fistric, likely Arcobello in for Horcoff).

It’s way too early, but what the hell let’s run my RE against the tsn projections to see who is kicking ass and who is coming up short:

RE (tsn projections) (plusminus)

1. Sam Gagner 43, 11-21-32  (48, 16-37-53) (+17)
  2. Nail Yakupov 45, 11-15-26 (48, 27-11-38) (+10)
  3. Taylor Hall 39, 21-19-40 (48, 11-37-48) (+1)
  4. Jordan Eberle 44, 14-18-32 (48, 16-21-37) (-2)
  5. Ales Hemsky 35, 8-24-32 (48, 16-11-27) (-17)
  6. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 42, 13-26-39 (48, 0-27-27) (-18)

Gagner, Yakupov and Schultz the younger are beating reasonable to a pulp, I’m close on Hall and Ebs, but Hemsky and the Nuge projections were too strong. Ironically, the one everyone thought was an insult (Eberle) has been accurate to this point.

Long way to go.

A few game notes:

• The Oilers offense blooms on the PP. They rank 3rd in the NHL with 12 PP goals.
  • Dallas leads the league in times shorthanded, 50.
  • Oilers special teams are a gem so far. 4th in PP, 5th in PK. Horcoff’s injury will impact both disciplines.
  • The FO percentage of Nuge, Gagner and Lander has been talked about a lot lately, but I talked for a former pro player yesterday who said part of the problem is the wingers don’t engage enough on a ’50-50′ draw that is in doubt. I’m going to look for that tonight.

I’m not as concerned about faceoffs as I used to be, and as usual it’s that damn Tyler Dellow and his slide rule. Quoting a Dellow article from a couple of years back:

• I did the math to calculate the expected penalty kill percentage of a team that wins 65% of the initial faceoffs when killing penalties and a team that wins 35% of them. I am, if anything, being generous with those bounds. I come up with the difference in faceoff percentage resulting in the 65% team killing penalties at an 81.2% rate and the 35% team killing them at an 80.1% rate. Over 266 opportunities, we’re talking about 2 or 3 goals.

I’m not saying it isn’t a concern, but the Oilers shouldn’t fold like a cheap suit tonight either.

I read somewhere that Horcoff won’t need surgery but is gone for a month. I know it isn’t in the Oilers management DNA to address need in the early part of the season but this would be a time to throw these kids a lifeline. Perhaps an expiring Mark Streit-type contract (although for a center, obviously. Pick up Streit too if he’s there) or someone they could use in Belanger’s role starting next season.

If they make a move, or if the Nordic line continues to impress, I think the seeds are sewn that will send Darcy Hordichuk off the roster. Hordichuk has been holding on to a roster spot all this time while play 2 and a half minutes.

414 Responses to "STARS AT OILERS G10 (12-13) 6.2.13"

Newer Comments »
  1. unca miltie says:

Minutes after getting heck from wood guy on twitter’ you finally post. On my way to Palm Springs for golf. Hope to find game on line some where tonight. Thought lander played well last game. Sure will need him to play well tonight with no Horcoff. Arco is good story will be cheering for him as well.

A few game notes:
    The Oilers offense blooms on the PP. They rank 3rd in the NHL with 12 PP goals.
    Dallas leads the league in times shorthanded, 50.

Excellent points.

May I add:

Dallas is 27th in the NHL in 5v5 Shots Against/60 with 31.5 (EDM is 29th w/ 31.9)

EDM has lost their games against teams with fairly strong D (COL excepted) or excellent D performances (CAL)

DAL D is not strong.

DAL is also riding a hot goalie .940 5v5 SV% which is bound to come down (and his 4v5 SV% is no screaming hell with .865)

The Oilers are shooting 4.7% at 5v5 worst in the NHL, last year they shot 8.3%. The 5v5 offense will come as the SH% regresses.

What does all this add up to?

Oilers win 6-5 in regulation with 3 5v5 goals and 3 5v4 goals.

Hall with 3 points.

Book it!!

Go Oilers!!!

*clap,clap*

3. BlacqueJacque says:

Should be a barn burner tonight.
    I miss Cubb Carson and his morning sports updates on The Bear. Barn burner, kissed the sister, ugly jerseys, etc.

4. daryl says:

I seem to watch the Marchant goal about once a year. Shivers every time and I grew up with the glory team. My favourite part is still Ronny Lowe yelling “what the f*ck was that” at Joseph as he hugs him.

5. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Did you mean Petry in your stats projections there LT, or did you mean Schultz?

Chris: crap, don’t remember. Deleted and will update later.

7. bookjLe says:

1996, 2006, 2016?

Years where the Oilers excel?

2016 – Oilers win the cup!

Book it!

8. Clay says:

The 10000 foot view of this team is pretty fun right now. All the muss that’s going on with who to call up / replace Horcoff with, plus the 5v5 struggles, and the mini sophomore slump by Nuge… all these growing pains are refreshing.

The three “old” kids are all due to have multipoint games. It would be nice, and a bit poetic, if it could be tonight. One thing I’ve noticed with Kruger’s team, is that they make adjustments. Renney’s team would come out and have a horrible first period, then repeat it for weeks. It seems this team at least tries to address problems.

That said, I’m hoping for a little desperation in their game tonight – more shots on net and sniffing for rebounds, and less trying to “pass the puck into the net”. That shooting percentage has to correct itself eventually.

It will also be interesting to watch Whitney, to see if he “learned” anything in the pressbox. He sure seemed some pissed the other night.

9. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Haha no worries, just saw the projection and thought to myself “Petry doesn’t have any points so far this year…” and didn’t see Schultz in the list!

10. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

bookjLe,

Conveniently forgetting 1986…

11. FrankenOil says:

I was 15 at the time whern that goal was scored and my older brother had just moved to Winnipeg. Seconds after that goal was scored, I heard the phone ring, I answered and all I heard was jubilant screaming.

I was just old enough to really remember the 90 Cup win but not old enough to grasp how important it was. The Oilers were always the team I followed the closest (living in Edmonton) but that was the day I truly became a a lifelong fan. That goal was represented faith restored in the Oilers that the clouds and pall of purge/sell-off, Pocklington, etc had cast. It truly was a new day for Oiler fans.To me, the Oilers are the Copper and Blue, not the orange and blue of my parents (and I guess now my kids).

12. Bruce McCurdy says:

Yeah, that Marchant goal “captured” people of a certain age.

Put it this way, it’s 16 years since Marchant occulted the Stars, & 22 since Tikkanen blew out the Flames. People who started watching in between those two events will have a particular affinity for the Marchant goal.

13. FrankenOil says:

That roster had the beginnings of a contender. Solid C depth, a franchise type goalie, elite checkers, a front-line winger, a potential top-pairing D – though, we learned Bobo had all the talent but preferred looking for Kovalenko ;) . We also had a GM that could find D by the truckload.

14. Lois Lowe says:

The Marchant goal was definitely the defining moment for me as an Oiler fan. I don’t remember any of the cup wins, but I remember the plucky little Oilers giving Dallas and Colorado hell in the playoffs every year.

15. BlacqueJacque says:

Maybe it’s a factor,of my age but I have more pride in those underdog,Oilers teams of the late 90s than I do in the glory days. Knocking off the mighty Dallas Stars and Colorado Avalanche – names like Nieuwendyk, Sakic, Zubov, Foote, Modano, and Forsberg being felled by a scrappy bunch of kids on their way out as free agency looms, wanna-bes and a few good veterans.

16. wunderbar says:

I was 10 when Marchant scored. I was a hockey fan before that day, and and been to a few Oiler games during the dark days with my dad. Most of the oilers did their banking at the bank my aunt worked at, so I had Autographs from pretty much everyone. Buchburger remains one of my favourite players of all time.

That being said cheering for a team that in the time that I was old enough to remember had never made the playoffs before was hard. That goal changed everything.

I’d actually go so far as to say if Marchant doesn’t score that goal we’d be talking about the Houston Oilers right now (and not the NFL team). It was a matter of months later that the EIG saved the team.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I was an oil fan in the mid 80s from about 6 or 7 on… but not really as a conscious fan until the 89-90 cup run, which is where everything came together and set me on a path not to be deviated from since.

those late 90s teams though were a real flourish! workman like teams, always dangerous. they rarely got blown out, even when they lost a lot of games.

at any rate, I think the return of Benn is something to be mindful of. that guy is key to that team now and he seems to have injected some life into the team

18. delooper says:

I was living in Ithaca NY when the Marchant goal happened. I was over at my hockey friend’s house. He was indulging me, letting me come over to watch the Oilers-Dallas series. He had long given up on Edmonton. There was the big game when Edmonton was down ?3-0? or something like that, that’s when he had given up on me and my Oilers. His wife very graciously let me sit around on their couch to watch the game. When edmonton tied it up on that mad series of plays with goals by Grier, Smyth and Buchburger (I think) they heard me screaming and wailing from the living room. I had turned them into Oilers fans.

I became a fan in the early 80′s. I vaguely remember being at a few of the big playoff games, like the Mark Lamb goal game, the last time they won the cup.

19. jonrmcleod says:

Probably no one is too interested in how I became an Oilers fan, but I’ll tell you anyway. I started collecting hockey cards in 1981-82 and decided I needed to pick a favorite team. I grew up in Fredericton, NB where most people are either fans of Montreal, Toronto, or Boston. But I was aware of Gretzky (and probably a few of the other young talented Oilers) so, as a 7-year-old boy, I made a calculated decision to make the Oilers my favorite team. Probably there are a few other 7-year-olds right now making the same decision for similar reasons.

20. delooper says:

One of the oddest things I remember about being a kid in the 80′s was whenever I went to another town — like WInnipeg — other kids would ask me “you’re not REALLY a fan of Gretzky, are you?” As if it wasn’t a masculine thing to be. Messier and Anderson, you could respect people appreciating them. But Gretzky was so controversial. Kind of the opposite of how the general public memory of him is. Gretzky is now orthodox Canadiana, now that he is retired.

21. wunderbar says:

delooper,

that 3-0 game was Game 6. They were down 3-0 with 4 minutes left. IIRC the goal scorers in regulation were Grier, Smyth, and Weight (maybe not in that order) and Buchburger won it in Overtime with a wrist shot from inside the circle.

My dad was at that game at Skyreach Center. To this day the only playoff game he’s even been to. He still talks about it.

22. regwald says:

jonrmcleod:

Yesterday Fistric tweeted to Yakupov that his nine year old son asked for Yakupov jersey. And so it begins … the indoctrination of a whole new generation.

23. delooper says:

wunderbar:
    delooper,

that 3-0 game was Game 6.They were down 3-0 with 4 minutes left. IIRC the goal scorers in regulation were Grier, Smyth, and Weight (maybe not in that order) and Buchburger won it in Overtime with a wrist shot from inside the circle.

My dad was at that game at Skyreach Center.To this day the only playoff game he’s even been to. He still talks about it.

My voice was hoarse from screaming at the TV that night. That was one of the most emotional hockey games I’ve ever seen. It started off like a knife to the gut, then it got worse. When all hope had been extinguished, there was Mike Grier… and everything changed.

24. jonrmcleod says:

delooper,

My friend and I used to sometimes have debates about who was better: Gretzky or Bossy? His main argument was that Bossy was better on a breakaway. (It was always said that Gretzky wasn’t great on breakaways, not sure if that’s really true or not.) My friend would also point to a Gretzky card that he said pictures Gretzky crying. I think he was perceived by many as a crybaby.

Image of the card here: http://cardsfromthecrease.blogspot.ca/2011/10/mail-day-1980-81-topps-wayne-gretzky.html

25. fuzzy muppet says:

No RNH today at practice….the annual avalanche of injuries begins

26. wordbird says:

1997 West Quarters – Oilers vs Stars

Marchant scores first and last goal of the series. Marchment’s injury was soooo scary/gruesome.

Boy, i miss Mike Grier. hell of an Oiler.

27. wunderbar says:

RNH is not skating this morning. Rishaug is citing the injury he received in the first shift of OT against Vancouver. (I missed this, anyone catch what it was?).

Rishaug even talking about the “if RNH can’t go” scenarios.

Lines at the skate:

Hall-Arcrobello-Eberle
    Yakupov-Ganger-Hemsky
    Hordichuk-Smyth-Petrell
    PRV-Lander-Harski

Smid-petry
    Schultz-Schultz
    Whitney-Potter

I guess RNH and Fistric are Game time decisions “at best”

28. Captain Obvious says:

I usually think people worry too much about line combinations (and faceoffs) and not enough about who is actually playing the game (and what happens after the faceoffs).

However, this forward roster is so depleted that I think it’s necessary to spread the talent around to put together four lines that could survive and adjust on the fly.

So this is what I would run with:

Hall–Arcobello–Eberle
    Yakupov–Gagner–Hemsky
    Paajarvi–Hopkins–Haartikainen
    Petrell–Lander–Smyth

That gives you three lines that have a chance at scoring and so long as the third and fourth lines are sheltered somewhat (especially the fourth) no line that is going to get killed.

Sure it is Arcobello’s first NHL game but Hall and Eberle are among the best players in the NHL and I’d rather have three lines that can play than two.

[Edit] If Hopkins can’t go, we’re down to two NHL lines. Why does this team never sign free agents?

RNH not at morning skate. Risaug saying he’s been hurting since SJS game and got hurt in OT vs VAN as well.

Looks like:

4-Arco-14
    64-89-83
    58-57-91
    16-94-37

Lordy.

30. sliderule says:

The Bruins and Sharks are 59 and 57 percent in face-offs.Leading the NHL by a bunch.

They have big strong forwards who help out on 50/50 draws.

The oiler centers are going to have to work extra hard until they add some strength on wings.

wunderbar,

Hall-Arcrobello-Eberle
    Yakupov-Ganger-Hemsky
    Hordichuk-Smyth-Petrell
    PRV-Lander-Harski

I doubt a line with 16 gets more ice time than any other line, or a tougher assignment.

Maybe they double shift 91-58-64-4 in 16′s spot.

16 doesn’t get a regular shift usually.

Given how the Nordic line played last game, I’d bet they get the tougher assignment and more ice time.

32. crude says:

Woodguy:
    RNH not at morning skate.Risaug saying he’s been hurting since SJS game and got hurt in OT vs VAN as well.

Looks like:

4-Arco-14
    64-89-83
    58-57-91
    16-94-37

Lordy.

ooooof

33. wunderbar says:

Woodguy,

I was just c/p what was on twitter. And I do agree with you. I can see more than a few extra shifts for 4 and 64 tonight.

Also….can this please please please get them to realize it is time to get 16 off the roster and fix the peckham situation? 8D on the active roster and 16 as your only extra forward make for bad things.

34. LMHF#1 says:

Wow…those lines are special. Something’s got to be in the works with possibly 3 centers out right?….RIGHT?!?!

I remember Marchant’s goal well. The dominant thought in my mind at the time was “wow, Todd Marchant actually scored on a breakaway”. He was always the king of hitting the other team’s logo. Finally did something intelligent with the puck in front of a goalie.

35. Dr. Oil says:

I’m a bit of an oddball in my history of love for the Oilers. I was a young’un during the glory years but old enough to develop serious idol worship of the Great One. Consequently, I followed him wherever he went through the 90s; some dark childish years of backing the Kings, *cough* Blues, and Rangers through mostly dismal performances. I was mad at the Oilers for trading him, and held a grudge for a few years, particularly when the Kings and Oilers had a pretty solid rivalry shortly after the trade. Of course, the dark years for the Oilers quickly set in, and I lost track of them. The Marchant goal caught my attention, as did the healthy contributions of Weight and Joseph, but I continued following Gretz through the rest of his career.

When the Great One retired, I became a free agent of sorts, just a hockey fan in general. Loved Joe Sakic, but wasn’t a big Avs fan. Hated teams that played the trap (NJ comes to mind). I did respect the Oilers for being the scrappy underdog, but they were a couple of years removed from their last upset and hadn’t made much noise lately.

I believe it was 2001, and yet another first round series against the Stars. I don’t remember which game it was, but the Oilers were down 2-0 late in the third, at Skyreach. My memory is foggy, but I believe Brewer? and Laraque? scored the quick goals to tie the game and the place went crazy. Even though I’m pretty sure the Stars won it in OT (Benoit Hogue as always it seemed), the Oilers won me over, and I haven’t looked back since. Unfortunately many more dark years soon followed, but times are hopefully changing now. Like I said, my memory of that game is foggy, so my details might be totally inaccurate, but yeah, that’s the story of my circumferential love affair with the Oilers.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

are we at the “pull O’Marra out of the Italy!!!!” line yet?

37. M Parkatti says:

I’m not going to look it up, but I think the scorers in the 3-0 comeback were Weight, Kovalenko, and Grier. Kovalenko went five hole and made Moog look like he got knocked down in Mike Tyson’s Punch Out. Bucky was in OT. I might be wrong, but that’s how I remember it. I can remember exactly where I watched the last 3 wins of that series, it was in a different place each time. I had been a huge fan since I could gained consciousness in the 80s, but it was an ambiguous fanaticism. I knew the names, remember watching games, but I really didn’t get how extraordinary it was. We had the best team in the league, easy. I got the ’90 Cup a lot more, and the deep runs in 91-92 were unexpected since the team was falling apart at the seams. By ’93, the City had turned on the team, and I remember going ‘underground’ as a fan, as all of my friends had picked other teams to like (I followed the Rangers, because of Messier). But I always cheered for them. ‘That entire ’96-97 season really brought the team back to the forefront of the public’s mind, and Marchant’s winner capped it all off. Game days became events, for the first time in my memory since ’90. It was like rediscovering Degrassi again the in late 90s and thinking how well it had held up — my affinity for the team was still there, and stronger than ever, probably because it was informed by how dark things can get. You appreciated it more, because you knew it wasn’t easy.

38. Dr. Oil says:

Found the footage of the game I referenced above. I was a bit off in my memory, but this video brings everything back, with the added bonus of Game 4 too. These were the Oilers that won my heart. Man, was Laraque ever effective in those days.

39. wordbird says:

Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe
    Won’t name Oiler player but one did say”I know Nuge has been having some issues with his shoulders but it’s not serious.”#panicbutton

wunderbar:
    Woodguy,

I was just c/p what was on twitter.And I do agree with you. I can see more than a few extra shifts for 4 and 64 tonight.

Also….can this please please please get them to realize it is time to get 16 off the roster and fix the peckham situation?8D on the active roster and 16 as your only extra forward make for bad things.

Here’s how I see it playing out.

1) Peckham gets green lit to play in NHL
    2) Oilers trade 6 for AHL d-man on ELC or 2nd/3rd round pick
    3) Peckham becomes 7th D and frees up roster spot for another F

Oilers want a fighter on the roster.

They see him playing 2min a night and a top 6 F getting double shifted in his spot and think “perfect”

41. 48 percent body fat says:

LT are we serious? We are going to let our top scorer, biggest of the top six forwards, and second most experience among them be our number one center.

42. delooper says:

48 percent: are you a paid employee of the Oilers — what’s this “we” you’re going on about?

43. 48 percent body fat says:

delooper,

No but as a season ticket holder for seven years, I have paid my share towards their salaries.

44. Bar_Qu says:

Have we announced the total collapse of the sky yet?

This looks like such a bad game personel-wise that Hordichuk may get regular shifts. Maybe even as much as 5:00 playing time.

45. wunderbar says:

RNH confirmed as out for tonight with “Soreness”

46. 48 percent body fat says:

Where did you find the updated projections?

48 percent body fat:

Where did you find the updated projections?

I just used tsn, they always project, every game.

48. 48 percent body fat says:

Oh I see. Is it just under the player page and based on pace? I think you have gas plus minus wrong though,

49. bookjLe says:

wunderbar:
    RNH confirmed as out for tonight with “Soreness”

I may be out tonight with sorrowness – not sure I can watch this.

48 percent body fat:

Oh I see.Is it just under the payer page and based on pace?I think you have gas plus minus wrong though,

Plus minus is projected points plus or minus.

Sam Gagner 43, 11-21-32 , which projected to 48 games (his current GP projection) gets me to 36 points projected. tsn projects him at 48, 16-37-53 and that is +17 points (53-36=17)

The Nuge injury is disappointing but I think we’ve kind of had indications of discomfort for some time (remember the flight back to EDM from OKC before WJs).

I hope they give him all the time he needs.

Dallas has their own injury troubles, so this is the time for Hall and Hemsky to continue to lead the way (they’ve been splendid) and for the Nordic line to step up some offensively.

Edmonton may lose tonight, but dammit this is also a wonderful opportunity.

I hope they give him all the time he needs.

Edmonton may lose tonight, but dammit this is also a wonderful opportunity.

I actually anticipate all the Oilers working hard and pulling in the same direction.

Should be a fun one to watch if Arcobello doesn’t get too starry-eyed and just plays hockey.

53. delooper says:

I had a feeling RNH had some kind of nagging injury from either WJ’s or from OKC. He’s been playing well defensively but his offense is just a tad slower than what we’ve come to expect from him.

54. Ribs says:

Nuge shoulder problems should have been fixed during the lockout. How many times do we need to go through this crap with shoulders! Ugh!

55. delooper says:

Ribs, I don’t think anyone is saying its a shoulder problem. Are they?

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

delooper:
    Ribs, I don’t think anyone is saying its a shoulder problem.Are they?

see here

wordbird:
    Gene Principe ‏@GenePrincipe

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Edmonton may lose tonight, but dammit this is also a wonderful opportunity.

Great attitude.

I hope Gagner, Arco and the others see it that way too.

We knew this was coming — it is unclear whether ST and co. knew — but we did. This team still lacks veteran musk and depth and so it is liable to streaky play and injuries more than those late 90s oiler teams.

we need some Griers and Marchants… if only Eager turned out to play like Grier…

also, maybe Janne Niinimaa wants to come out of retirement!

58. delooper says:

I’m not familiar with the shoulder surgery he had. Some surgeries leave a lot of scar material around and it takes a while for the body to smooth it over — getting bashed-about sometimes speeds up that process, but it can also lead to soreness. Is this perhaps one of those situations?

59. hunter1909 says:

Great news re RNH – how players like the Sedin sisters can feel absolutely safe in crosschecking young Oiler players without any fear of retribution.

Seems like I predicted wrong – it’s shoulder injuries destroying the Oilers young stars. Like…wtf.

Mmmm okay so Seth Jones is going to be great.

60. Captain Obvious says:

Goligoski scratched tonight.

Goligoski is a fine player and he certainly could play for the Oilers but that was a terrible trade and a good example of why you should never, ever, trade a superior player in exchange for a perceived need.

61. Bar_Qu says:

Captain Obvious:
    Goligoski scratched tonight.

Quoted to emphasize why trading Gagner for a bigger, less skilled player is a bad idea. (centre? cientro? centrale?)

Thx Cap

62. Jordan says:

Captain Obvious,

Bar_Qu,

It’s a very valid point.

I’m just surprised with the example – my understanding was that part of the reason for the move was the salary difficulty Dallas was dealing with due to ownership uncertainty.

But what do I know – I’m not even an ensign.

63. geowal says:

bookjLe,

If we’re playing that game we have to get the years correct:

2015 – cup run?
    2006 – cup run
    1997 – Marchant
    1988 – cup
    1979 – debut season

And now it nicely ties with the origin!

64. DBO says:

Are we cup contenders when everyone is healthy? NO.

So roll with it I suppose. The Nordic line will stay up most of the season. Replace Hordichuk with Jones and you may be looking at our forward lineup for next year (with Nuge of course in for Arco). If our 4th line next year is Horcoff/Belanger, Smyth and Jones, then that is great. We would essentially have a 1A and 1B, and a 3A and 3B.

Now the search for Whitney’s replacement to play 5/6 begins. I like Fistric and hope he re-signs and we pair him with a solid two way guy, or even add one of the kids. This is the year we compete for 8th, and next year for division lead. If they plan on running the Nordic line next year then having them up and playing well (which they have been in the right role), then this run with only help.

65. danny says:

Maybe another last place finish will motivate Katz to clean out the front office? Next year with a bonafide GM and Nate Mackinnon/Seth Jones, or playoffs?

I’d choose playoffs, because being a fan is coming to the point where we need something to cheer about…. but its a no-brainer as to what’s better long term.

ANyone know if all of EDM’s home games have been moved to 8pm local this year? 11:30pm start times are rough for a middle aged Newfoundlander that’s got work in the AM. A couple seasons ago it was 7:00 Edmonton time, then 7:30 last season… seems to be 8pm this season.

66. Captain Obvious says:

DBO,

The problem with that scenario is that Lander and Yakupov aren’t good enough. Yakupov has lots of room to improve so we can gamble on him but we can’t count on Lander at all. So in addition to one more quality defenseman we need at least one more quality forward.

danny,

Occasionally on Tuesdays when its the 2nd game of the TSN double header, like tonight.

Also on Saturday when its the late game on CBC HNIC

68. Wolfpack says:

You can tell which generation of Oiler fan you are by which Avenue you celebrated on after the playoff victories. I can remember walking up and down Jasper Avenue after many of the cup victories – though I was way too young to be frolicking about with my friends at those hours. Then things moved to Whyte Ave and festivities degenerated into what they are today.

I lived in BC from 1993 to 2000, and I returned to Edmonton with a dislike of the Canucks that even surpassed my lifelong distaste for the Flames. My friends could not understand why I was so nausiated by the Canucks but try living among that fanbase for seven years during the Oilers “dark days”… it was something akin to torture.

PREDICTION:

Arcobello gets a goal and two assists and prompts even more screams for the Oilers to trade their leading point getter Gagner.

Book it!!

danny,

Here’s their TV schedule:

I noticed they actually had tonight’s game down as 7:30, so there is at least 1 mistake there.

71. Romulus Apotheosis says:

with the scheduling… you have to remember that NA has the coastal (sorry maritimes, not that coast) timezones in mind and that the magical 3 hour difference drives all national coverage of anything. you folks in the middle will always be an hour or two ahead or behind the sweet spot of 7 on national games.

still at least you don’t have to wait until 10 to watch the games… when they are as boring as that PHX game… it can be a slog on a weeknight.

72. wunderbar says:

Woodguy,

The game tonight was originally scheduled for 7:30, but changed last week to 8pm to accommodate TSN.

73. commonfan14 says:

Without checking, I’m 100% sure that the Oilers lost Game 6 of that Stars series – I think the big comeback was in Game 4, Cujo stood on his head in Game 5, and everyone in SkyReach was sure we had the momentum and were about to take the series in Game 6. Didn’t happen that way, but I can’t imagine any Game 6 victory being sweeter than The Save and The Toddy.

Also, with Kipper out, is it time to make a trade with the Flames that fills our holes and helps them tank?

74. bookjLe says:

Woodguy:
    PREDICTION:

Book it!!

While recently visiting another Oilers blog site, I noticed hordes of commenters arguing that Hall was ‘under-performing’ and an ‘utter disappointment’ so it wouldn’t surprise me if you were correct.

75. 48 percent body fat says:

ok i think we can all agree that we could use horcoff. I am not a fan of his or a hater, but obviously there is the contract? Two scenarios I wonder if could happen this off season.

1. Horcoff to florida for kopeky. We get a big number three, save considerable amount in cap, both contracts end in two years and for floriday they may pay an extra million per year but they get a usefull veteran with a cap hit much higher than the salary.

2. If allowed could we offer to Toronto, a trade for one of there overprice useless dman for horcoff, both players get boughd maybe the team who has to pay more needs to throw in a conditional pick (if rules allow for it) that thet out and resign with the original team, if toronto wants theirs. Now the player has to go for it an other team gets once the player is bought out and signed back to the origianl team.

76. danny says:

Thanks Woodguy, makes sense.

77. Kris11 says:

So they started the year with RNH, Gagner, Horcoff, and Belanger at C (excellent depth, IMO) and tonight the first line C will be Arcobello, an undrafted ECHL guy.

That is what is happening? Yes?

78. khildahl says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

Kris11:

That is what is happening? Yes?

Close, but Arcobello’s an AHL guy these days.

79. Jordan says:

All of a sudden I have a lot more sympathy for Ottawa.

Didn’t expect that to happen after I spent the weekend laughing about Spezza going down for a month+.

Sigh. When will I learn?

80. Romulus Apotheosis says:

khildahl:
    Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—,

Close, but Arcobello’s an AHL guy these days.

and… after tonight, he’ll be an nhl guy.

Jordan: Edit: When are the Oilers brass going to invite the Moose back to teach these guys how to use their sticks to protect themselves. It only needs to happen a few times for people to give them a little more space.

I endorse this.

There’s no reason a player shouldn’t make himself as porcupine-like as possible with elbows and stick.

81. BlacqueJacque says:

Jordan,
    I was really wondering when Justin Schultz would raise a last-second elbow into a charging, late-hitting Bissonnette.

I’m excited about tonight’s game. Oh sure it sucks that the Nuge is out and that Horcoff’s injury is a month, but this is Dallas we’re playing tonight and a solid test but not the 76 Habs. The only way I’m disappointed tonight is if there’s no try, and I can’t imagine it happening.

83. Ribs says:

Plus……JAGR!! JaAAaaAAA!!

84. BlacqueJacque says:

Ribs,

I wanted Jagr for the Oilers for a long, long time, but Oilers fans would eat him alive.

BlacqueJacque:
    Ribs,

We all wanted it.

86. BlacqueJacque says:

Forgive me for presuming, but I believe that by “we” you mean the people who understand that even a superstar has a night off and a player can be extremely good without looking like he’s trying too hard.

Then there are the great, unwashed masses of Oilers fans who think Sam Gagner is an AHL tweener, or should be played on the wing, because presumably Gagner’s struggles on the wing last season and the fact that wingers NEVER go into the corners or battle in front of the net (unlike centres, who are of course expected to be there…) suggests his lack of size would be OK there.

The list of players Oilers fans would find reasons to hate is long…

Spezza (too casual), Jagr (same), Marleau (not clutch), Thornton (too easy-going, not clutch), Carter (not using size enough), Marty St. Louis (too small), Byfuglien (out of shape), Patrick Kane (parties, too small), Evander Kane (selfish) etc. etc.

The single worst part about being an Oilers fan are other Oilers fans =/ For some people, Mark Messier isn’t a generational talent, he’s the yardstick for a second line centre. Doug Weight is the secondary assist guy who would be an acceptable second-line centre on an average playoff team. Hemsky sucks because he’s not built like Iginla.

Yeah, true. But is it worse in Edmonton or is it just that everyone is a fanatic?

88. hunter1909 says:

Edmonton fans remember Wayne Gretzky when he was still good enough to win cups ffs. And Mark Messier as the nearest hybrid of human being and living hero. Or Paul Coffey even, my fave at the time who more than a few thought could have been the best of them all.

New Oilers have to walk through a gate, guarded by these players.

89. delooper says:

Albertans have a highly refined bipolar nature. Tranquil and hard working in the winter. Ravenous party-animal rioters in the summer (and sometimes spring if the Oilers do well). I miss the bipolar waves, almost like living next to the ocean. But bigger waves.

90. Ice Sage says:

OThis team has come up huge this year whenever expectations were low (and sh!t the bed when it was a ‘sure 2 points’) so I’m calling for a…. loss, yeah, 4-2 loss (Gag, Yak, SchJr, Harti EN)

91. BlacqueJacque says:

There are bad fans and dumb fans in every city, but I think in Edmonton the problem is worse than in most because the Oilers hit such incredible highs early in their existence and haven’t hit that same mark since. So there’s a contingent of people brought up on the idea that Mark Messier is the ideal second-liner, and Doug Weight should have been second-line on an average team at best.

Then there’s the fact that there isn’t a whole heck of a lot to do in Edmonton in winter time. Jasper is 4 hours away. Banff is one hour away from Calgary. Winnipeg may be the only city that has it worse in this regard. Every other city has either milder winters, better geography, a larger variety of events due to larger population, or all of the above. So Oilers fans have fewer outlets when things go wrong. What else are we going to pay attention to during a 12 game stretch with 2 wins?

Then these myths get established and people just buy into them for forever. Hemsky never does anything with the puck (except create the only offense the Oilers had for like, 4 years), Sam Gagner isn’t a second line centre (even though he was in the top 40 in scoring among centres last year and was a remarkable +5 on a team that was a collective -30 or so – and he wasn’t exactly getting cherry zone starts or matchups.) I really can’t think of any fanbase that so readily and desperately wants to find a goat for every season and then disregards all reality from there on. That… that’s probably the most frustrating part. Having the same discussion with the same person, showing them the facts, then they either accept it or shut up… and then start repeating the same bullshit 2 weeks later when the team loses a few games or the player has a bad game or two.

92. hunter1909 says:

BlacqueJacque: Having the same discussion with the same person, showing them the facts, then they either accept it or shut up… and then start repeating the same bullshit 2 weeks later

Like cabin fever.

Lowetide: We all wanted it.

I particularly liked this post:

Bill NeedleTuesday, February 10, 2009 at 11:02:00 PM MST
    Adler’s been flogging Oilers tripe for years, going back to the days of Vladimir Ruzicka.

The more things change…..

BlacqueJacque,

I think that’s a pretty astute observation/inference.

94. Gret99zky says:

meh, leafs and canadiens fans are just a nuts as oiler fans.

95. BlacqueJacque says:

Gret99zky:
    meh, leafs and canadiens fans are just a nuts as oiler fans.

Go to HFBoards. Compare the amount of Oilers posts to almost any other team. Then compare the respective city populations.

Oilers fans are nuts.

96. BlacqueJacque says:

Welp, that’s the last we see of Nuge this season if Principe is right. You know, being a physician who examined Nuge and all.

We all know what shoulder injuries did to Hemsky.

I need to find a less-cursed team to cheer for. Like maybe the Cubs.

97. bendelson says:

For those of you commenting in how irritating ‘oiler’ fans can be…
    Live on the west coast for awhile. Listening to THOSE conversations in a bar and you’ll see that Oiler fans ain’t so bad.

98. khildahl says:

I’m not liking the look of this Bruins/Habs game (just tuned in). We may miss puck drop if this thing goes to OT.

99. Rocknrolla says:

Canucks fans are the worst…I can vouch. Spend a lot of time out there. I think its the blind disrespect for all other teams, mixed with the reality of never winning anything. Probably the biggest tell is at Rogers Place, when you walk around there with an Oilers jersey on, its just plain rude. Like fisticuffs rude! No, jabs with a smile, or friendly competition with respect. As someone who has traveled to many rinks, the usual competitive jabs are fine, but they are usually in jest, and most opposing arenas are just plain friendly.

Canucks fans tho….Its ok, I would be like that to if I never had a chance to bask in the glory of a Stanley.

100. Rocknrolla says:

khildahl:
    I’m not liking the look of this Bruins/Habs game (just tuned in).We may miss puck drop if this thing goes to OT.

101. Gret99zky says:

BlacqueJacque: Go to HFBoards.Compare the amount of Oilers posts to almost any other team.Then compare the respective city populations.

Oilers fans are nuts.

hf boards is not the primary forum for Montreal fans. Much like Flames fans who post at Calgary Puck. But yes, Oiler fans are nuts.

102. khildahl says:

Rocknrolla: Check TSN2 if that happens, they usually start the game on the sister channel, 1401 on Bell.

They have boxing scheduled (and on).

tsn2 will have it, but chances are the Bruins game ends UNLESS Montreal ties it. Edmonton won’t drop the puck until 12 after and probably will stretch it to :15 or even :20 if they feel like being nice to tsn.

104. khildahl says:

That call’s probably the nail in the coffin.

105. Rocknrolla says:

khildahl,

Yes, I know, but they may have the oilers game on until the habs game is over, or if it goes into overtime.

106. Captain Happy says:

Rocknrolla:
    Canucks fans are the worst…I can vouch.Spend a lot of time out there.I think its the blind disrespect for all other teams, mixed with the reality of never winning anything.Probably the biggest tell is at Rogers Place, when you walk around there with an Oilers jersey on, its just plain rude.Like fisticuffs rude!No, jabs with a smile, or friendly competition with respect.As someone who has traveled to many rinks, the usual competitive jabs are fine, but they are usually in jest, and most opposing arenas are just plain friendly.

As a long time Oiler season ticket holder who became a free agent after one too many Lowe gaffes, a fan who has been to numerous games in Calgary and Vancouver while wearing an Oiler jersey, I can tell you that posts like yours are exactly what is wrong with Oiler fans.

While they are among the most engaged and knowledgeable fans in hockey, they are also the whiniest bunch I’ve ever run across.

I think this tends to be younger fans who missed out on the glory years and need to grasp at almost anything to justify their continued fandom for a team that has sucked moose dick for the better part of two decades.

Not only do they have almost zero objectivity regarding the quality of other teams and their players, but they also vastly inflate the quality of Oiler players and prospects while conveniently ignoring how bad their team is and has been.

How bout that Sheldon Souray eh?

4G 2A 6P +6.

And yet 99 percent of Oiler fans bought into the ridiculous narrative that Souray was a bad, bad man that was spewed by the Lowe regime while ignoring all the evidence that everything Souray said about “management” was likely accurate.

And Vancouver won a Stanley Cup in 1921.

At some point the Statute of Limitations on the Oiler’s last cup win more than 20 years ago will kick in and more knowledgeable fans will just point and laugh like they now do at the Maple Leafs who, by coincidence, have a far richer hockey history and far more cup wins than the Oilers.

1921? Wow.

108. Lucinius says:

Captain Happy,

The Vancouver Millionaires don’t count.

Edit: Especially since they lost to Ottawa.

109. Rocknrolla says:

Captain Happy,

HAHA…1921…LOL

And PS, was not whining, just sad that Canucks fans are so unhappy…

110. leadfarmer says:

Captain Happy,

Wow, great so the Canucks and Chicago Cubs have something in common. 8 more years for that magical century mark.

Oilers seem to be winning the faceoffs but Benn/Jagr are going to make us sad tonight,

112. leadfarmer says:

Can every Oilers player and prospect please get their shoulders repaired next summer. Maybe they can get a discount. Hemsky is due for a freebie,

113. "Steve Smith" says:

Sometime down the road, we’re going to be thinking about Anton Lander and wondering if he’ll ever blossom into an NHL player, and in the meantime he’ll be retiring with 1,000 NHL games, all with Edmonton. All of them terrible.

114. "Steve Smith" says:

Lucinius:
    Captain Happy,

The Vancouver Millionaires don’t count.

Edit: Especially since they lost to Ottawa.

This is maybe the greatest comment in the history of this blog.

115. hunter1909 says:

Dallas are a bad hockey team. I hope Oilers take this one for granted, until Whitney literally provided enough help to the Dallas with one of the finest orange cone impressions seen East of the Ohio.

Whitney is sensationally terrible. Compared to 2013 Whitney’s play Cory Cross, Igor Ulanov are the Bobby Orr twins.

116. Gret99zky says:

next he will say Canucks fans don’t troll other fans sites.

117. leadfarmer says:

The thing about Whitney is that other than his half of an amazing season he has otherwise not been a very good defenseman.

118. Lucinius says:

To be specific, it was 1915 that the Vancouver Millionaires won the Stanley Cup, not 1921 where they lost to Ottawa.

Still not the Canucks, though. If you want to count teams winning cups like that, Ottawa won a lot of cups

119. khildahl says:

Can we clone Ferraro and give one of him to every network?

120. Ice Sage says:

khildahl:

Best in the biz, always has something useful to contribute

121. "Steve Smith" says:

Oh, FFS, is Haptain Cappy on moderation now, too? That results in, like, half my posts not being published immediately. Which should probably make me take a good, hard look at my priorities, but instead won’t.

122. leadfarmer says:

What are the lines?

123. khildahl says:

Ice Sage,

Yep. He’s the anti-Weekes.

124. Gerta Rauss says:

I’ve seen this movie

125. hunter1909 says:

I’m thinking every time Whitney’s out there, it’s a Dallas Powerplay – watching the entire Oilers extreme no-touch style for that matter.

“Steve Smith”: This is maybe the greatest comment in the history of this blog.

It was an excellent comment, and yes CH is moderated too.

127. delooper says:

Hall, Hemsky, Yakupov could be the “full throttle” line if one of them would play centre.

Hordichuk down, Lander down. Things are looking up!

129. Ice Sage says:

Krueger, Ferraro and Joey Moss in the same frame… we’ve reached the high point of the evening, folks

130. Lucinius says:

Lander, noooo!

Tanner House is so sitting by his phone right now.

132. leadfarmer says:

The thing about watching the US feed for all these games is I have to listen to the announcers get giddy every game about how the oilers have 2 Schultz’s and they play together. Sheesh

133. Masamax says:

So far I’ve seen Whitney lose the puck to what amounts to laziness at least thrice this game. Strudwick’s article over at ON talked about mental issues. I suppose being lazy counts as one.

134. russ99 says:

Wow, Lander’s hurt too? We’re way down the rabbit hole!

Who looks good in the ECHL?

135. Ice Sage says:

Gagner can play 65 min, right?

136. Lucinius says:

Especially for tonight’s game I’m thrilled that HockeyStreams.com added the ability to choose home/away for game coverage.

But fuck me.. Gagner is going to die tonight if our luck with centers continues.

137. Shingen says:

Perhaps it’s time to try Hall at center? Might not have much choice if the trend continues…

138. BlacqueJacque says:

We have just lost a fourth centre, and are missing 3 of the 4 who opened the season.

So how about those Chicago Cubs? Lucky team, I hear.

139. Rebilled says:

13hr day. No centers or centres or whatever the f….

Win this draw Smytty?

140. "Steve Smith" says:

I think Marty Reasoner put a Curse of the Bambino-equivalent on this team when we traded him for Samsonov. Turns out you can’t undo these things with off-season signings.

141. russ99 says:

BlacqueJacque,

The Cubs aren’t unlucky, they’re just annoyingly mediocre.

BTW – I’m a White Sox (and Oilers fan) on the North Side of Chicago.

142. khildahl says:

Where’s Rob Schremp these days?

143. VanOil says:

80′s Oilers Hockey so far on the PP

144. hunter1909 says:

Shingen: Perhaps it’s time to try Hall at center?

I’m sure Steve Tambellini has his Rolodex spinning at Warp Speed, to provide the Edmonton Oilers with the best chance of winning hockey games, and if it takes injuries then so be it.

145. Gret99zky says:

why are forwards always passing it out of the good shooting zones?

146. leadfarmer says:

Can we forfeit the powerplay.

147. In the Grease says:

Might have to decline the next power play.

148. jp says:

My wife just noted that Paajarvi’s shot is “weak”. You’d think she watches hockey more than she does.

149. BlacqueJacque says:

Can we play a game?

Let’s call it “how often does Yakupov end up on the right wing, not counting the cycle?”

150. Ice Sage says:

Man, these Oilers are easy to play against. They never go to the net. What’s happened?

151. hunter1909 says:

Stars(and other teams) just stand up at the blueline and Oilers puny attacks bounce off like nerfballs. It’s like watching the Flyers whip Central Red Army.

152. In the Grease says:

I find myself in complete denial that the OIler injury curse has returned…

I actually have to write out the names to convince myself it’s really happening:

Belanger, Horcoff, Nugent-Hopkins, Lander, Fistric. Wow.

153. VanOil says:

hunter1909,

As others have mentioned before I would not mind MPS getting a try at centre. Hall is a elite winger, why change it. MPS has some elite skills (skateing) but is looking for a place to happen.

154. hunter1909 says:

jp,

Can she play centre?

155. Gerta Rauss says:

Messy first period-it reminded me of the Quinn team from a couple years ago. I kept expecting Patrick O’Sullivan to come over the boards.

156. Gret99zky says:

Dubey saves their skins for another 20 mins

157. BlacqueJacque says:

hunter1909:
    jp,

Can she play centre?

I actually laughed out loud at that.

158. Masamax says:

hunter1909:
    jp,

Can she play centre?

It’s spelled centre!

Oh wait, never mind.

159. khildahl says:

Gerta Rauss:

Well, he would’ve gotten some shots off.

He would have missed the net by a mile with all of them, mind you.

160. delooper says:

Somehow I thought RNH already had shoulder surgery.

161. "Steve Smith" says:

Because this may turn out to be relevant tonight:

Each team ices eighteen skaters. As I understand it, during a shootout, none of those eighteen can take a second shot until all eighteen have taken a first shot. How do injuries affect this? First of all, who determines whether a player is too injured to take part in a shootout? Second, if Team A is down to 17 skaters and Team B still has 18, when it comes time for each team to take their eighteenth attempts, is Team B required to use their 18th skater, while Team A can return to their first?

I’ve been wondering about this since that really long shootout against Washington a few years ago.

162. Lucinius says:

Lucky to get out of that period at 0-0…

163. hunter1909 says:

“He’s dynamic, electric, masterful…” Stars are an all S+M team.

Harski is pretty good on the forecheck.

Yak made two very nice back checks on the same shift and probably saved a goal with pass block to a wide open Star in front.

Haven’t really noticed Arco.

Kruger running 64-89-82 with Shultzes against Benn/Jagr, but DAL coach getting them out against 44-6 every chance he gets.

I could watch Hemsky play hockey all day. Awesome.

I hate beat a dead horse (so to speak) but Ryan Whitney can not move his feet at a NHL level. Its a shame, but he he’s a worse option than a fat Peckham right now. He simply can’t mark a man anymore. A real shame.

Closer than I thought missing 3 starting C and now the 5th C as well.

Short bench is ok, next game isn’t until Sat.

Go Oilers!!

*clap,clap*

165. jp says:

hunter1909:
    jp,

Can she play centre?

I don’t think so.

When we were first dating she came out to play a ball hockey game with me (intramurals a university, so not a high level). About 5 seconds into the first shift, and not more than 10 feet from the bench, she tried to take the ball from an oncoming opposing player and pulled her groin. The end of her hockey career, but not our relationship. Bottom line is she’s injury prone too.

166. "Steve Smith" says:

Rob Brown just said on the radio that probably three of the fans at Rexall tonight had heard of Marc Arcobello before he dressed tonight. Bob Stauffer suggested that the number would be higher. Brown then admitted that he had no idea who he was prior to tonight.

Your Inside the Game Analyst, ladies and gentlemen.

167. knighttown says:

It’s a nice. light mood here tonight so I hate to be the serious guy but in a 48 game season you can’t just forfeit “a few” games until Nuge and Belanger come back. Desperate times and all that. Go get Tim Connolly now.

Anton Lander just spotted wearing crutches in the hallway down from the Oilers dressing room _Terry Jones on twitter

169. Rocknrolla says:

Smyth 2 for 2 on faceoffs in the first…thats a good sign.

170. knighttown says:

knighttown:
    It’s a nice. light mood here tonight so I hate to be the serious guy but in a 48 game season you can’t just forfeit “a few” games until Nuge and Belanger come back.Desperate times and all that.Go get Tim Connolly now.

And it’s a travesty that Hordichuk and Peckham (and even Whitney) are holding down roster spots and crippling this teams ability to win games.

171. sliderule says:

The positives are we had great back checks by Hall and Yak that most likely would have us down 2 zip.
    We have to give most of them credit for trying.Now if Whitney and Smid would smarten up.

BlacqueJacque:
    Can we play a game?

RK gives them free reign in the Ozone, not so much in the Dzone.

173. Ribs says:

delooper:
    Somehow I thought RNH already had shoulder surgery.

I think he had a scope or something done after the season was over from what I recall.

The refs are actually calling this one like a hockey game! Yay!

Whitney is becoming painful to watch. He lost at least two clear 10ft races to the puck, couldn’t deal with a puck on the boards to get an icing whistle that led to a Stars chance, and was just plain awful.

174. Lucinius says:

sliderule,

Somewhat counter balanced by the absolutely non-existant back check by Yakupov on the powerplay on a Dallas 2on1. He didn’t even move his skates, and just glided while watching the Dallas player zoom in as a passing option for the 2on1. As if because it was a powerplay one didn’t need to back check. His other back checks came after that, so maybe he got a talking to and listened.

175. hockeyguy10 says:

I saw a clip on TV last night(think it was Sportsnet) showing some Canucks modeling Vancouver Millioaires jersey. Bringing them back this year as a tribute. lol

hockeyguy10:

I saw that, they look very sharp, actually.

177. russ99 says:

Here’s my “How I discovered the Oil” story.

I grew up in Chicago, and my dad was a huge Blackhawks fan. I didn’t really get into hockey very young, cause baseball was pretty much my only sport.

I first started going to games in the early 80′s and hated the ‘Hawks of the era. I used to call them “cold goons on ice”. Sure they had ol’ man Mikita and Denny Savard, but most of the team were knuckle-draggers like Al Secord, Terry Ruskowski, Dave Hutchison and Grant Mulvey.

So I grudgingly went to a game with my dad in ’81 or ’82 to see the Hawks play the Oilers (instead of the steady diet of goony teams like the Leafs and the North Stars) and it was like a revelation. I had no idea that hockey could be so fast, so offensive, so awesome. I was an Oilers fan for good.

I saw the Oilers play a few more times in 81 and 82 and the next year in the conference finals the Oilers beat the Hawks 4-0. I had bought a big metal Oilers logo button and wore it on my jacket during the series. The owner of our local grocery store was Ed Olczyk’s dad (a Hawks prospect at the time) and he wouldn’t let me in the store with the Oilers button on!

No Lander, done for the game. -Ryan Rishaug twitter

179. VanOil says:

Surprised by twitter/terry jones comment on Ladner on crutches already. Hockey teams normally hide the injury better than that. I hope this does not cost him the year. I might not love him in the NHL this year but I want him to be an NHLer in the future.

180. Rocknrolla says:

Smitty just gave the Ref the hairy eyeball from the box….love it. Wiley vet.

181. BlacqueJacque says:

Yaketty Yak on the right wing and looking deadly.

182. BlacqueJacque says:

FUCK YES YAK ON THE RIGHT WING!

Go Hemmer.

Ales Hemsky is a bad, bad man.

184. fuzzy muppet says:

Just got home in time to Hemmer score! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE

185. Lucinius says:

YES! Hemsky! I love me my bad man!

186. russ99 says:

Yes!! WE may get something from this game yet.

187. stevezie says:

Cuss Yeah!
    I’m surprised Hemmer doesn’t have more points, to my eye he’s been great this year.
    At least he’s ahead of Brown…

Hemsky (Yakupov, Gagner)

189. VanOil says:

Skill, speed, more skill. This is what you dream a second line shift to look like. Dominating play!

190. Ice Sage says:

Where did that come from? Yak is such a kid

191. Gret99zky says:

Gags makes it 10 straight.

192. hunter1909 says:

Arcobello lol…

Seth Jones chat officially starts here.

193. striatic says:

how did that line get out against that opposition?

194. BlacqueJacque says:

PLEASE someone tell me I’m not the only one who sees this:

Yak on the Right Wing. No other place.

195. Lucinius says:

Nice battle there by Paajarvi.

some nice things from the Nordic line, they had a bad own zone shift early against Benn-Jagr iirc but the rest of the way there’s been some nice things.

197. stevezie says:

That’s be a soft call in rec league.

Newer Comments »