STARS V BARONS 26.2.13

We’re at a point in the season where the Stockton boys and the minor league free agents are moving up the team scoring list. Arcobello will eventually catch Schultz and then Eberle, and by that time there could be another 20-goal scorer. Here are the top 10 active players in terms of points on the OKC Barons:

1. Mark Arcobello 49, 15-29-44
  2. Martin Marincin 46, 4-14-18
  3. Josh Green 34, 7-9-16
  4. Toni Rajala 21, 7-8-15
  5. Jonathan Cheechoo 11, 6-9-15
  6. Taylor Fedun 46, 2-13-15
  7. Phil Cornet 21, 7-5-12
  8. Ryan Martindale 23, 5-7-12
  9. Brett Clark 11, 0-10-10
  10. Kristians Pelss 17, 1-7-8
  11. Dane Byers 48, 4-4-8
  12. Colten Teubert 49, 3-4-7
  13. Curtis Hamilton 41, 3-3-6
  14. Nathan Deck 25, 1-5-6
  15. Tyler Pitlick 32, 1-4-5 (inj)

(Rajala photo courtesy Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

If you look at the top performers over the winter in the system (Khaira, Simpson, etc) it is important to remember that the AHL is the place where the rubber hits the road. I think this has been an up and down season for a player like Martin Marincin, but those growing pains will result in a better AHL player next year and maybe an NHL defenseman down the line. I’d include Taylor Fedun in that conversation, too.

As for the forwards, injury has taken its toll and the 2nd rounders didn’t bring their offense to pro hockey. I don’t really think there’s a “Marincin” type among the forwards who has clearly established that there’s real NHL possibilities there, although the entry level deal is three years and it’s a long row to hoe.

If I had to pick one? Rajala. Can’t imagine there will be room on the Oilers, though.

I’d give real money to find out what the Oilers plan on doing with their goaltending this summer. When I look at all of the men who are either signed or drafted, I get the funny feeling the club might sign Khabibulin and not sign Perhonen and Tuohimaa. I don’t believe that’s wise, but the Oilers are doing strange and unusual things in this department these days. Here’s what I would do:

• Keep Dubynk, find a solid but inexpensive backup.
  • Run Roy and Bunz at the AHL level.
  • sign Tuohimaa.
  • draft a goaltender in the 4th round.

Here’s what I think the Oilers do:

• Sign Khabibulin, keep Dubnyk.
  • Sign an AHL vet like Danis and then run with Roy as backup (playing more games).
  • Play Bunz a full year as Stockton’s starter.
  • pass on signing Tuohimaa and Perhonen.
  • draft a goalie in the second round.

If the Oilers trade or waive Ryan Whitney, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brett Clark spend some time in Edmonton. Certainly after the trade deadline if the club has offloaded a couple of blue, Clark would be the obvious choice for an extended visit.

Coach Nelson says tonight is important because it’s a ‘game in hand’ on the rest of the division, and there’s a certain amount of urgency for the team. They are currently on the outside looking in for the playoffs.

Barons signed PJ Stretch of the ECHL to a PTO. GREAT hockey name.

Houston vs. Oklahoma City Barons 2-22-13

Of all the photos Rob Ferguson has provided us with this season, the photo of Curtis Hamilton scoring after a long drought is my favorite. As a fan of junior kids since Mike Bloom and Mark Howe were teenagers, I know well that stardom at the highest levels isn’t in the cards for everyone.

It is nice to see them reach their highest level and have success, however. This wonderful photo is a tribute to that moment in time. Thanks, Rob.

41 Responses to "STARS V BARONS 26.2.13"

1. 42 percent body fat says:

Hey LT, please check this site out. It is really fun. you can buy these simulators for really reasonable prices and annual fees are minimal. The league I am in the owner actually absorbs all costs, that is how cheap it is.

Think this would be fun to do on the site. However you need an administrator (who has to be the owner of the simulator) and three more Board of directors. Both requires some time on a weekly basis.

Any one who is interested, the oilers in my league need a GM. Go to the top of the site to apply to join. Yes the oilers are currently terrible in this league also. This is your chance to prove that your comments you make about how to run the oilers is correct and show tambo how it is done.

2. DBO says:

If they re-sign Bulin then we have just cause to burn down the Oilers head offices. You can’t build for the future with a 41 yr old goalie. The goalie list is not horrible, Here is the UFA list from capgeek for goalies next year, do not tell me there isn’t a much better option out there, not to mention one or two who are only 30 and could give us a few solid year.

Player Pos Team Age Cap Hit Expiry
    Backstrom, Niklas » G MIN 35 $6,000,000 2013 (UFA)
    Thomas, Tim » G NYI 38 $5,000,000 2013 (UFA)
    Khabibulin, Nikolai » G EDM 40 $3,750,000 2013 (UFA)
    Nabokov, Evgeni » G NYI 37 $2,750,000 2013 (UFA)
    Howard, Jimmy » G DET 28 $2,250,000 2013 (UFA)
    Smith, Mike » G PHX 30 $2,000,000 2013 (UFA)
    Theodore, Jose » G FLA 36 $1,500,000 2013 (UFA)
    Mason, Chris » G NAS 36 $1,500,000 2013 (UFA)
    Garon, Mathieu » G TBL 35 $1,300,000 2013 (UFA)
    Labarbera, Jason » G PHX 33 $1,250,000 2013 (UFA)
    Emery, Ray » G CHI 30 $1,150,000 2013 (UFA)
    Budaj, Peter » G MTL 30 $1,150,000 2013 (UFA)
    Nihlstorp, Christopher » G DAL 29 $1,000,000 2013 (UFA)
    Boucher, Brian » G PHI 36 $950,000 2013 (UFA)
    Leighton, Michael » G PHI 31 $900,000 2013 (UFA)
    Khudobin, Anton » G BOS 26 $875,000 2013 (UFA)
    Karlsson, Henrik » G CHI 29 $862,500 2013 (UFA)
    Ellis, Dan » G CAR 32 $800,000 2013 (UFA)
    Danis, Yann » G EDM 31 $800,000 2013 (UFA)
    McElhinney, Curtis » G CLB 29 $750,000 2013 (UFA)
    Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff » G ANA 28 $612,500 2013 (UFA)
    Montoya, Al » G WIN 28 $601,000 2013 (UFA)
    Johnson, Chad » G PHX 26 $600,000 2013 (UFA)
    Lawson, Nathan » G OTT 29 $600,000 2013 (UFA)
    Dekanich, Mark » G WIN 26 $600,000 2013 (UFA)
    Desjardins, Cedrick » G TBL 27 $600,000 2013 (UFA)
    Greiss, Thomas » G SJS 27 $587,500 2013 (UFA

Emery, Montoya and Greiss stand out as solid options who are younger, just as good as Bulin and have potential to actually improve.

3. spoiler says:

Won’t Khabby be considered a “solid but inexpensive backup”? Especially on a one year deal. And aren’t the Oil big believers in the Elliotte Friedman philosphy that at replacement level, it’s better to keep the guy you know? And isn’t that even more important with a goalie tandem?

4. Ice Sage says:

PJ Stretch! Awesome, sounds like a somewhat painful condition I used to wake up with as a younger man
    No way they sign Khabi again… unless they plan on drafting Nikushkin…

Tambellini and Krueger are at the game. Interesting.

Clark (Cornet, Arcobello)

I bet they are looking at Brett Clark. He’s been splendid in his OKC time, I think the Oilers may decide to have a look after finding Whitney/Potter wanting.

8. gogliano says:

9. "Steve Smith" says:

gogliano,

That’s what she said.

I don’t have any real problem signing Khabibulin to a one year contract at much lower dollars to backup Dubnyk next year. The two seem to get along fine. Khabibulin isn’t a threat to Dubnyk’s job.

Khabibulin is as likely to give one 15-20 good games as other guys.

Khabibulin will probably just as likely retire though.

11. gogliano says:

Someone mentioned this the other night so I thought I’d take another look at how bad we’re doing historically re: even strength goals.

2007-2008 Shooting percentage for (worst three teams)

PHX 6.8

OTT 7.1

2011-2012

LAK 6.4
    COL 6.8
    SJ 7.0

2012-2013

EDM 4.7 (18/384, 1.0 EV goal per game)
    OTT 6.2
    SJ 6.7

If the Oilers had, at this point of the season, replicated the LAK’s 2011-2012 season (i.e., the worst EV shooting percentage for a full season in the last five years), one would expect 25 even strength goals. The Oilers have scored 18.

Again: The Oilers are now 1.7% back of the worst EV shooting percentage performance of the last five years, a difference that would translate into an extra 7 even strength goals for a +0 goal differential on the season.

“Boy we have a lot of 3rd pairing Dmen”

13. FPB94 says:

Canadiens just traded Erik Cole for Michael Ryder… FFS

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Since I can’t recall his name being batted around recently and since his name just popped in my head, I thought I’d check in on Rieder… had a pretty nice little weekend:

3-1-2-3 Even

and he’s 45-25-22-47 +11

on the year.

Are we going to see him in OKC next year?

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: “Boy we have a lot of 3rd pairing Dmen”

It’s like the boring, horrible version of “Logjammin’”

16. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy: “Boy we have a lot of 3rd pairing Dmen”

The trouble is that they’re occupied on higher pairings.

“Steve Smith”: The trouble is that they’re occupied on higher pairings.

Oiler 1st pairing D:

Oilers 2nd pairing D: Petry, Smid, J. Shultz is close

Oilers 3rd pairing D: Fistric, N.Shultz,

AHL or Other: Whitney, Potter, Peckham

18. bookje says:

Woodguy: “Boy we have a lot of 3rd pairing Dmen”

It’s called depth. Really really deep depth.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy: or Other: Whitney, Potter, Peckham

bookje: It’s called depth.Really really deep depth.

It’s called embracing “Otherness.” The Oil are engaged in a far-reaching project of community outreach to “marginalized” and “at risk” defensemen. A big part of building societal “inclusiveness” is finding meaningful work for this often neglected population.

bookje: It’s called depth.Really really deep depth.

Sounds like a big hole.

21. justDOit says:

Woodguy: Sounds like a big hole.

and when you find yourself in a big hole – stop digging.

justDOit: and when you find yourself in a big hole – stop digging.

“No, no, dig up stupid!” – Chief Clancy Wiggum

Other atributions: Lowe, K

23. BlacqueJacque says:

Minnesota scores!

Bahahaha… oh man, I love watching Flames games for the exact opposite reasons I like watching Oilers games – a goal against Calgary feels as good as a goal for Edmonton. A game-tying goal for an opponent makes me feel like the Oilers just tied a game. Of course, a Flames win, especially a gutsy one, feels as bad as a gutless Oilers loss.

It’s like being able to drink twice as much beer.

I just realized I’m watching Calgary play Minnesota. I need help.

24. BlacqueJacque says:

PARISE SCORES IN OVERTIME!

Damn we’re tied with Cgy again. :/ Flames with a – 12 goal differential though, compared to -9 for us. Is 18 games statistically meaningful enough for goal differential to matter? Probably not for +/-3 goals.

25. geeker99 says:

fuck another 3 POINT game in our division. no broken legs? no suspensions? shitty night!

26. "Steve Smith" says:

BlacqueJacque,

Years of Flames’ mediocrity and exposure to Canucks fans have made Calgary an extraordinarily distant second to Vancouver as a target for schadenfreude.

In 2004 for there was a part of me – just a part – that wanted to see the Flames win. There was no part of me cheering for the Canucks in 2011. In fact, I was cheering for Boston in 2011 more than for any other team other than the 2006 Oilers in the last twenty years.

27. BlacqueJacque says:

Oh hey… Oilers are only -7. That’s a 5-goal difference with Calgary. Given our low shooting percentage (which is bound to get better, right…. Right?!), there’s reason for hope.

The problem for CAL-EDM rivalry is that the Oilers were good for about 10 minutes there and the Flames are slowly sinking in the sea. When they finally sink, it’ll be the “let’s copy the Edmonton model.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

the Edmonton model.

29. BlacqueJacque says:

Hahahaha they’ll do it, but they’ll hate themselves for doing that.

Oh God, after trashing the Oilers for Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaarrrssssss for tanking, Calgarians can’t stomach the idea of trading aging, overpaid ‘stars’ like Iginla for prospects. They don’t have the guts to endure four or five seasons at the bottom of the rankings, not after 9th-9th-10th finishes. Because after three juuuuust years of the playoffs, I know from personal experience that nothing is more painful than having to watch the team really begin to bottom out. You’re caught between wishing you’d hit rock bottom earlier and harder, to get those early picks.and having regrets over past moves your team made – the wrong trade, the wrong pick, the wrong coach…

Oh man, Calgary Puck promises to be a good place in the coming years. So much trolling to do. I need to start making accounts.

30. "Steve Smith" says:

BlacqueJacque:

Hahahaha they’ll do it,

31. BlacqueJacque says:

“Steve Smith”: I’m hoping that they will, but I’m concerned that they’ll instead follow a model that leads to eventual success.

O ye of little faith.

32. geeker99 says:

"Steve Smith",

i grew up in red deer as a youngster and hated the flames, after years of hockey that really didnt matter in alberta i grew to hate dallas and dallas all over again. I live in calgary and have for the past 16 years. I lived through there cup run of 03, and enjoyed the life it can bring to a city. then i lived through our run of 06 and the hatred came back for Calgary. my 40th b-day today and i am so ready for this team to take the next step, i would like to see playoffs before im 50.

33. wheatnoil says:

Stretch got a goal! That IS an awesome hockey name. He is instantly one of my favourite Barons.

BlacqueJacque,

CAL is a better team than EDM this year, but with putrid goaltending.

5v5 SV%

EDM .923 10th in NHL
    CAL .892 29th in NHL

4v5 SV%

EDM .910 4th in NHL
    CAL .806 29th in NHL

5v5 Shots For per game

EDM 28.6 16th
    CAL 29.6 9th

5v5 Shots Against per game

EDM 31.9 27th
    CAL 28.2 14th

I know EDM’s 5v5 scoring will get better, but the 4v5 SV% is very high and will come down.

If CAL can find a goalie, quickly, they have a chance at the playoffs. Joey MacDonald might be enough of one.

Kipper’s 4v5 SV% was .682 in 7 games when he went down.

Lordy.

35. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

Goddammit…

You know, Ottawa loses Spezza and Karlsson and Anderson. They start rising in the rankings.

Montreal goes from 28th overall to 1st in the East.

And now you tell me this?

….

I’m really starting to lose my patience.

36. bookje says:

Woodguy,

I predict that they fail to muster the effort and finish 9th or 10th in the West.

37. tcho says:

"Steve Smith":
    BlacqueJacque,

In 2004 for there was a part of me – just a part – that wanted to see the Flames win.There was no part of me cheering for the Canucks in 2011.In fact, I was cheering for Boston in 2011 more than for any other team other than the 2006 Oilers in the last twenty years.

The exact same for me. Admire how Van is managed though.

bookje:
    Woodguy,

You may be exactly right.

39. season not played says:

One of the main reasons this “rebuild” will fizzle out and not be successful is the complete lack of success drafting at or near the top of every round for the past several years. How is Ottawa still winnning games? Where did Ottawa get most of their role players? Drafting and developing well.
    It is one thing to draft high in the first round and get a guy who can play on your roster. It is something completely different to find a guy in the third round and develop him to the point that he is a player on your roster. Anyway, at some point, it will be painfully obvious that the Oilers blew all these “rebuild” drafts and I’m guessing it will be right around the time it is confirmed that Musil is indeed too slow, Moroz is in fact, to borrow a Lowetide Euphemism, a coke machine that can’t make or take a pass and the Pitlicks and Hamiltons of the world are long gone and the Oil are still drafting in the lottery. Weak, weak player management. And that’s not getting into the mistakes they have made at the top of the draft. Different conversation.

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

"Steve Smith":
    BlacqueJacque,

As a West Coaster schooled on decades of Nuck games, I have a unique perspective. I’ve always “enjoyed” the Nuck-Oil rivalry more than the Flame-Oil rivalry.

And… I would say it is sacrilege to have even a part of you wanting the Flames to win, but I can’t because a part of me did too… I picked them as the dark horse in my playoff pool (I took the long shot, knowing no one else would pick them)… when they knocked out the nucks I was in a crowded bar of nuck fans… literally the only one cheering for the Flames…. it was great. a weird convergence of my nuck hatred and my desire to win the pool, which I won by a country mile.

41. Ice Sage says:

season not played:
    One of the main reasons this “rebuild” will fizzle out and not be successful is the complete lack of success drafting at or near the top of every round for the past several years.How is Ottawa still winnning games?Where did Ottawa get most of their role players?Drafting and developing well.
    It is one thing to draft high in the first round and get a guy who can play on your roster.It is something completely different to find a guy in the third round and develop him to the point that he is a player on your roster.Anyway, at some point, it will be painfully obvious that the Oilers blew all these “rebuild” drafts and I’m guessing it will be right around the time it is confirmed that Musil is indeed too slow, Moroz is in fact, to borrow a Lowetide Euphemism, a coke machine that can’t make or take a pass and the Pitlicks and Hamiltons of the world are long gone and the Oil are still drafting in the lottery.Weak, weak player management.And that’s not getting into the mistakes they have made at the top of the draft.Different conversation.

Comparing Edm to Ottawa is a stretch due to contrasting circumstances. McLean has done a fine job with what he had, which was pretty decent (Karlsson, Spezza, Alfie, GOnch, Anderson). They’ve traded astutely (Turris) and had some nices pieces develop (Greening, Regin, Cowan, Silvferberg) but were patient with them – they’re 3-4+ years out of drafting – at the Gagner / Eberle / Petry age & stage. Anyone willing to trade Zibanejad for… well any Oiler first rounder?.
    I do like the way Ottawa plays ‘complete hockey’ though and Anderson is the real deal.