STU’S GRADUATING BLUE

From Martin Marincin to Joey Laleggia, the Edmonton Oilers have drafted 9 defensemen since 2010. Two are in the pro feeder system, several more graduate this spring and still others may spend a year in college or Europe. How are the Oilers going to graduate these kids in an orderly fashion?

(Marincin photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved).

Here are the 9:

1. Martin Marincin (fall 2013 will be in year 2 of his 3-year entry level deal)
  2. Brandon Davidson (fall 2013 will be in year 2 of his 3-year entry level deal)
  3. Oscar Klefbom (begins his 3-year entry level deal in the fall)
  4. David Musil (begins his 3-year entry level deal in the fall)
  5. Martin Gernat (finishing up his WHL career, a priority signing for the organization)
  6. Dillon Simpson (emerging NCAA talent)
  7. Joey Laleggia  (same as Simpson, just a tick below due to one dimensional skill set)
  8. Erik Gustafsson (drawing positive reviews for his play in Sweden)
  9. Kyle Bigos  (Mountain man is a college senior)

musil8

David Musil-Ready for Pro

THE 7 POTENTIAL NEW PRO’S 13-14

1. D Oscar Klefbom (11, 0-3-3 SEL). The prize in the system, as long as he’s healthy. Oiler fans currently watching Jonas Brodin perform in Minnesota may feel Klefbom can step in next fall and play. That’s probably close to correct, but Brodin did spend some time in the AHL and I think it’s wise to assume the same for Oscar.
  2. D David Musil (53, 9-22-31 WHL). Musil is a steady defender who has long since mastered the junior game. I think the Oilers might fast track him, although there is no hurry for them to do it based on the current NHL depth chart. The only issue is footspeed at this point; other than that he’s a very good defender in need of pro experience.
  3. D Martin Gernat (19, 1-8-9 WHL). Lost much of the season to surgery and recovery and looked a little rusty when he first came back. Now? Gernat is really playing well, making good decisions defensively and has become extremely aggressive in the 1+ season of WHL play we’ve seen him. Oilers will sign him, I can’t see this guy getting away (he turns 20 in April).
  4. D Dillon Simpson (32, 3-17-20 NCAA). This guy is having an excellent year and moving up the UND depth chart. Has played in all the games this season and is having a terrific year on the PP (2-10-12)–he had almost identical PP numbers last year in 42 games, so his final numbers in the discipline should end up being a nice step forward. His scouting report was somewhat vague in terms of his puck moving ability, but the Oilers appear to have something here. Just turned 20, is eligible to play one more year of college.
  5. D Joey Laleggia (31, 11-14-25 NCAA). Numbers are off slightly this season but he’s clearly a solid puck moving defender. I’m not certain what the club would have in mind for him, but a team that has Reijo Ruotsalainen and MA Bergeron in their history probably isn’t afraid of some chaos. He will be 21 in June but has two more years of eligibility.
  6. D Kyle Bigos (23, 4-7-11 NCAA) . big man (6.05, 230) has had injury issues of his own but I think he should be considered a lock for a contract this spring. The Oilers are a team that has plans to be bigger and this guy could be a stand in for a remake of Princess Bride. Bigos is 23 and a senior.
  7. D Erik Gustafsson (45, 7-15-22 Allsvenskan). Began the season 27, 3-5-8 and since then he’s humming along at a 18, 4-10-14 clip. He’s 20, I don’t know that there’s any pressure to sign him this summer but he might be ready to help.

klefbom14

GRADUATING BLUE

The real problem is getting these guys to the NHL without losing games as they learn on the job. I think Marincin is a pretty important player to watch in this process, as the Oilers patience with him might mean they back up the prospects long enough for them to mature. What does that mean? Fewer seasons like the early NHL career of Ladislav Smid.

A guess might be that they graduate the blue to the NHL like this:

• 2013-14: Oscar Klefbom
  • 2014-15: Martin Marincin, David Musil
  • 2015-16: Martin Gernat, Dillon Simpson
  • 2016+: the rest.

Something like that. It’s tough, though.Very tough.

HOW TOUGH?

Punch Imlach led the Leafs to the Stanley in 1962, 1963, 1964 and 1967.

• Imlach talking about fall 1968, just over a year after leading Toronto to the Stanley: I moved in a lot of guys, especially on defence. I knew I was going to give Mike Pelyk a lot of work, Jim Dorey was a real tough egg from Tulsa and he was going to get a shot at it. Another tough guy was Pat Quinn, and a real surprise in camp was Rickey Ley, a junior from Niagra Falls with no pro experience. So we had all those guys, plus Tim Horton, Marcel Pronovost and Pierre Pilote.

They fired him the following spring. Rookie defensemen are coach killers.

punch

Imlach with the original Buffalo Sabres

49 Responses to "STU’S GRADUATING BLUE"

1. Zipdot says:

Gah, 2016!? That’s like 3 years in the future! Time to start fast trackin’!

Also, I vaguely recall Smid being not very good, but how bad was he?

Since Bigos was drafted under the old CBA I’m assuming he’s a FA if not signed by June-ish?

Does anyone know if they closed the J.Shultz loop-hole in the new CBA?

If the Oilers make a trade for a higher end established Dman this summer someone like Marincin might be part of the package. (I.e. Bouwmeester trade might nbe something like a 2nd + Marincin)

Klef should fill a hole on the 3rd pair and rise up the chart over time (Brodin is playing toughs w/ Suter in his rookie year)

I agree that time in the AHL to learn the gapping needed in the small ice game is important but might not happen because its the Oilers and 1st rounders get nothing but flat blacktop to race on.

If they can trade for someone like Bouw, it could look like:

Bouw-Petry
    Smid-J.Shultz
    Klef-N.Shultz

That’s an order of magnitude better than today.

Both Marincin and Gernat are RHS too, so the 3rd pairing RDman slot is just waiting for them to grab it in a year or two.

3. sliderule says:

I have watched Laleggia play a few games this year and if he was 3 inchs taller we would be raving about him as our next Schultz.
    Very good skater especially with puck runs their power play and seems to play in all situations for Denver..
    For some reason doesn’t seem to look or play small.

Bigos is the only right-handed shot in the group.

Bigos is the only right-handed shot in the group.

Wha??

I gotta stop sniffing glue so early in the morning.

I could have sworn both tall reeds were RHS.

Dammit!

sliderule:
    For some reason doesn’tseem to look or play small.

Rafalski was the same size and didn’t play his first NHL game until he was 26.

Given that he can play 2 more years in the NCAA, he probably will.

Nice dark horse to watch over the next couple of years.

Woodguy: Wha??

I gotta stop sniffing glue so early in the morning.

I could have sworn both tall reeds were RHS.

Dammit!

lol. I didn’t know if there was a new meaning for RHS (there’s so many new damn stats) so wasn’t exactly certain.

It DOES set up though for the current roster

RIGHT SIDE: Petry, J Schultz
    LEFT SIDE: Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Simpson

And I do agree completely they could deal someone in a deal for immediate help and not fret over youngsters in the system. Klefbom and Marincin are closest to ready, so yes Marincin is probably the likely candidate for trade.

Woodguy:

If I remember correctly, the Justin Schultz loophole only applied because he played an extra year of Tier II and only 3 years of college.

Under the old CBA, if you play 4 years of college, I think the team has till August, not June to sign the player.

But its early Sunday morning, I’m a bit hungover, and I really don’t want to go back trying to decipher clauses in the old CBA.

So don’t hold me to. I could be wrong.

Gernat is a LHS, but doesn’t he play a lot of RD for the Oil Kings…i.e. when he was playing with Reinhart last year?

With Slovakia, he mostly played the RD with Marincin on LD at the World Juniors.

Also, Klefbom usually played RD when paired with Brodin at the Alberta World Juniors. I assume it probably was the same in Sweden.

11. hunter1909 says:

I like the forced grins on those Imlach’s Sabres in the presence of their leader. It’s obvious that some of them hate his guts.

Since when do the OIlers worry about rookies? Just toss em into the deep end, and watch them flounder. Or, let them “develop” in the minors where all of the defencemen get injured, always.

Not too certain about this Stu love(Eberle aside). Like fans of the other teams say, anyone can look good with three number 1 overall picks. And all the Swedes(MPS aside) look like busts.

I hate prospects anyway. Especially after following MA Pouliot. That alone should be enough to encourage other activities, like rodeo bull riding.

We should set aside Sundays to talk about Rob Schremp. Now there’s a prospect!

12. DBO says:

Forgot Musil. He may be most ready of the bunch, basically next Nick Shultz. So unless Bigos is ready in 2 yrs then we need a RH dman and soon for bottom pair. I think next year starts with

Elder – Younger
    Smid – Petry
    Fistric -???

Maybe Klefbom but I would hope he starts in the AHL. So a better RH dman. Get him now if possible as Potter, Whitney, Peckham not cutting it as 6 dman. And next year if Klefbom is ready then he plays, but a RH dman is needed.

13. RexLibris says:

As I understand it, you have two years to sign a drafted prospect, but that time is often longer for players in European systems. I could be wrong, but my guess is that the Oilers could wait at least until next spring to sign Gustafsson.

I’d like to see Klefbom play at least half a season in the AHL, but based on past behaviour, I won’t hold my breath.

DBO:

Elder – Younger
    Smid – Petry
    Fistric -???

I think they add a real top end defenseman this summer.

Bouwmeester-J Schultz
    Smid-Petry
    N Schultz-Klefbom
    Fistric

I think Laleggia was drafted with the AHL in mind.

He can probably be an elite AHL player, driving the power play, and facilitating the development of other prospects, and then one never knows. The Oilers avoid getting into a college free agent signing battle by drafting him, and will be able to get him with a 5th round salary, rather than something higher if he were a college free agent.

If your other 5 NHL D are big physical solid defenders…

The NHL has more room for specialists with the TV timeouts.

Nashville used a first round pick on Ellis. Carolina a first on Murphy. The risk/reward on Laleggia as a 5th round pick is pretty good comparatively.

16. Thinker says:

Not a whole lotta room on the blue if we keep the vital components still on the team. I’ m projecting:
    ? Jschultz
    Klefbom petry
    Smid marincin
    Nschultz/musil/bigos/other

I’m not sure who fits with justin. Could be that we are looking for nschultz 2.0 in this future scenario (musil?). Personally, i would prefer to have an offensive 1-2, to get the pucks to the forwards, a wide range of skills on the 3-4 pairing, and shutdown deefence with a bit of puck acumen on the third (note: couldn’t leave marincin off. It was really hard not to put gernat and marincin together for obvious reasons. Anyway, the dman I want at number one is either a seth jones type (de facto number 1) which is hard to procure, or jake gardiner. I know he’s a leaf, but i think he and justin really want to play together, and i believe they will find a way.

17. Smarmy says:

Nice list but the Oilers need to turn some of these names into defenseman that are further ahead in the development curve.

It’s a little like the Blue Jays this offseason. They have two 40 homer guys in the middle of their lineup but all their pitching was in Low-A.

You don’t wait four years for that pitching and you don’t wait four years for all these defensemen.

Trade some of them in packages to teams that a further back in the development cycle for their current defensemen. Not the perfect example but a guy like Bouwmeester or Tyutin.

Also like the Jays, they can identify their Aaron Sanchez on the blueline and leave him to follow his own development curve with no pressure because the big team is contending and nobody is paying attention.

18. slopitch says:

I’d be curious what Whitney and a 2nd gets us. Surely there has to be a useful top 4 d out there at that price. With the shortened season and tight standings, we may not see action till the deadline.

19. dulock says:

This is why they didn’t sign Blain. Too many other Defenceman to give contracts and find playing time for.

20. Mr DeBakey says:

I think they add a real top end defenseman this summer.

I agree.
    100%
    This time its gonna happen!
    [Insert Souray joke here.]

Don’t forget kids, Smid is UFA July 1 – don’t be penciling him in until he’s inked.

21. Oilanderp says:

I had the chance to see Musil quite a bit when he was with the Giants. Wonderful player except, of course, foot speed. If I were a betting man I would say he is Alex Plante 2.0. I hope not, but we all know some of these guys will fall by the wayside.

22. DBO says:

Lowetide: I think they add a real top end defenseman this summer.

Bouwmeester-J Schultz
    Smid-Petry
    N Schultz-Klefbom
    Fistric

That seems solid, but I don’t think we get Bowmeester. Flames won’t move him to us. Maybe in 2 yrs when he is a UFA. He would be a great fit, but don’t see it. So if we go for a dman, it’ll have to be a trade but don’t see it within the Div. I still hope for the Rangers and Boyle and Stralman (he is an upgrade on our RH 3rd pair, but not a top end guy). Wonder if it would take one of the top kids plus a d prospect to get one of the Rangers top end dmen. With their cap issues, what would it take to get McDonough? Perfect for Shultz. Doubt he is available, but man he would be awesome.

Oilanderp:
    I had the chance to see Musil quite a bit when he was with the Giants.Wonderful player except, of course, foot speed.If I were a betting man I would say he is Alex Plante 2.0.I hope not, but we all know some of these guys will fall by the wayside.

Plante had some other problems aside from foot speed.

1. He was raw, the Hitmen had him with a strong partner
    2. He ran into all kinds of injury troubles before and after turning pro.

Musil imo will play in the NHL. The question is how much and for how long.

24. TheOtherJohn says:

Agree that Klefbom is the prize so far of the draft picks. Expect he will be given every opportunity to stick at #6 next year. Does not worry that he may have growing pains in NHL. See Laleggia as the true dark horse coming out of nowhere to be a player. Expect that all of the D prospects will develop even slower than the fwd prospects developing on the farm. Arrival date ready to contribute 15/16 Hope Musil can overcome his lack of footspeed and that Marincin and Gernat can develop some discipline to their game.

Would have no difficulty with moving any of the prospects (or a package of them) not named Klefbom if it brings back a top 4 D man that can play tough opponents even if on a contract that vastly overpays him for 1 year or simply trade for Jay Bouwmeester

25. jfry says:

I wish we had 3 year development curves for our forwards too. We’re blowing through these ELCs with not a whole lot to show for it.

Mps, lander, yak, pitlick all come to mind as players that could have stayed put in euro/chl and it would have benefitted everyone.

26. TheOtherJohn says:

Any possibility that we can trade Nic Schultz to the Wild for Tom Gilbert? Keep reading where that trade was really quite equal for both teams, so can we simply undo it and bring back a third RH puck moving D. Love trades that are so even that your trading partner would readily take back the player they traded too

LT
    Believe that Klfbom was the defensive frequent healthy scratch to Brodin???? on club team in Sweden. That is Brodin dressed most games two years ago Klefbom did not

Did not suggest you were advocating OIlers hire Howson, but I certainly can see how an insular maqnagement group would overvalue getting along with KLowe as a selling point rather than bringing talent to the equation

27. jonrmcleod says:

Myabe Bouwmeester will take Don Cherry’s words to heart and sign with Edmonton for $1 million instead of $6 million so “everyone will love him.”

DBO:

Elder – Younger
    Smid – Petry
    Fistric -???

Elder should be 3rd pairing or 7th D.

29. DBO says:

Woodguy,

agreed, but doubt they address it properly, forcing him to play above where he should, nothing this team has done suggests they will do it right. drafting 1st overall is not an indication of quality decision making, it is an indictment of this management team. They have not made a “significant” move in years. And I doubt they make a strong hockey move. The Shultz and Gilbert deal is the only thing that may be a mid level move, and that is at best an even trade and not a win.

30. Gret99zky says:

I can’t imagine a reasonable scenerio where Calgary trades Bouwmeester to Edmonton.

31. RickDeckard says:

Eberle to NYI
    Whatever to Col
    ROR and Rickety DiPietro to Edm

Then the dream is that Calgary buys out Bouwmeester.

FORWARDS
    Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan O’Reilly ($5.500m) / Ales Hemsky ($5.000m)
    Teemu Hartikainen ($1.250m) / Ryan N.-Hopkins ($3.775m) / Nail Yakupov ($3.775m)
    Magnus Paajarvi ($1.750m) / Aleksander Barkov ($3.500m) / Sam Gagner ($4.000m)
    Ryan Smyth ($2.250m) / Eric Belanger ($1.750m) / Ryan Jones ($1.500m)
    Ben Eager ($1.100m) / Lennart Petrell ($0.825m)
    DEFENSEMEN
    Jay Bouwmeester ($4.000m) / Jeff Petry ($1.750m)
    Ladislav Smid ($4.000m) / Justin Schultz ($3.775m)
    Oscar Klefbom ($1.275m) / Nick Schultz ($3.500m)
    Mark Fistric ($1.475m) /
    GOALTENDERS
    Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
    Yann Danis ($1.000m)
    ——
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,427,500; BONUSES: $11,475,000
    CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,872,500

Boom, Oilers have center depth, actual NHL defenders and a bit of cap space. Summer 2014 might be tight but if they have actual NHLers that can carry their own weight in the top 9 then they can be cheap with the 4th line.

32. digdeepnbleedblue says:

TheOtherJohn,

The only goal the Oil scored the other night against Minny was on a bad play by Gilbert. I had flashbacks of kicking and screaming… I think when they say it was an even trade they are being, well, polite. Gilbert can move the puck and his shot has gotten better over the years as has his physical play, but his defensive game has always had breakdowns. I’d say the Oil fared a lil’ better than Minny in that trade.

33. VanOil says:

Thanks LT this article shows future promise for a defense that has sucked for years. If we go by the formula that you and others posited yesterday in a post that 1 of 3 prospects turn out then we should look for at least 2 of these 7 becoming legit NHLers. This being the Oilers 4 of them will likely play in the NHL (2 of them having no business being there).

While this article and the comments talk of who is coming in. My question is, who is going out to make room. I believe Oilers are up against the 50 pro player limit. Which prospects do we get rid off to make room? And returning to the 1 in 3 rule do any of the pre 2010 Dmen make the NHL. Are Tuebert, Fedum, Davidson and Planet all turfed for next year? Do we keep one or two of them around for defensive depth when next years injury bug hits (Or Teddy’s Big Mac addiction)

I don’t have any answers to offer myself to these questions yet. But I personally am very excited by Kelfbom, Musil and Simpson. I hope we can add one of these a year in that order to the NHL club. But others on the list like Marincin might make a push. Ohoh that’s 4, I guess two will probably suck.

34. digdeepnbleedblue says:

A lot of D to graduate pro next year making for a crowded back-end. Whoa! My hands are rubbing quickly together, cigarette dangling from my mouth (don’t smoke kids!) and I got my trusty calculator by my side. I’m all over this!

There are five guys set for a possible return to the Barons. Davidson and Marincin have two more yrs left on their ELC. It’s very fair to assume that they will both be back, barring a trade. Tuebert, Fedun and Plante are RFAs. Tuebert’s back. Fedun and Plante could be on the outside looking in.

I’m thinking Klefbom, Musil, Bigos and Gernat will be the four to come in and look for an AHL job. With LT’s other potentials going back to their respective teams. Gustafsson may be an exception to that I agree and Klefbom may compete for a shot in the show, but he and Musil should be a lock for OKC. Aside from that, I believe, the other two, Bigos and Gernat, may have to take the long road home through the ECHL. Can’t hurt and would leave room to bring back either Fedun or Plante or both. Or sign a vet.

Defensemen are a tricky thing to predict when (if ever) they will put it all together, but at some point you do have to cut the cord. Be interesting to watch this play out over the summer and training camp. Would you let one of Plante or Fedun go? Or both? I think I would keep both for next year.

OKC D: Klefbom, Musil, Tuebert, Fedun, Plante, Davidson and Marincin with Gernat and Bigos knocking on the door. Good depth. And, a nice range of different skill sets.

35. VanOil says:

digdeepnbleedblue,

I agree with most of your Math. But I figure you have to cut bait entirely with at least Plante and maybe more as OKC will need some experienced D for mentor ship and if they want to win a game. Like Clarke and Ringwald this year.

I am also not sure if stuffing players in ECHL makes room on the 50 man roster. It does help in OKC. Maybe some could be signed to and OKC contract only like Cheechoo but I think that makes the UFA’s if we decide to keep them. A risky strategy.

Trading Teubert’s rights might have some value as part of a larger trade with his first round status some how still meaning full for some GM’s.

36. digdeepnbleedblue says:

VanOil,

Interesting take. Signing Plante or Fedun to an AHL only contract would work in regards to the 50 man limit concerns. I do think others will be let go in order to make room there, however. House, Petrell, Sutton, Whitney, Hordichuck, Cornet, Byers and possibly Hovinen are my bets. That’s eight spots open. Half will be needed for NHL players, but that leaves just enough room for the four new D. Which may lead to problems with the Barons’ depth up front. And God knows who may come in or go out from here to the TDL.

I agree some experience may be warranted on the back end. That’s where I would assume they sign someone to a minor league contract. Clark IS a good example. As is Jones.

You’re right about the ECHL. If you play there, you count. Not sure if AHL Contract = UFA for an existing RFA. I know if he isn’t qualified someone else can sign him, but he then becomes an RFA for his new team if he falls under the current CBA regarding such things.

I like Teubert and think he’s got a good chance to make the show. Plante is where I begin to wonder. You either got, are about to get it or you never will.

I’d say Fedun, Teubert, Marincin and Davidson are pretty sure bets for AHL/50 man list.

Gone will be

1. Ryan Whitney
    2. Nikolai Khabibulin
    3. Andy Sutton
    4. Darcy Hordichuk
    5. Lennart Petrell
    6. Yann Danis
    7. Alex Plante (rfa)
    8. Tanner House (rfa)
    9. Antti Tyrvainen (rfa)
    10. Dane Byers (ufa)

Also, Klefbom and Musil are listed on the 50 man list, but those are sliding contracts so don’t count. They will next season, but are already accounted for on the current list.

38. VanOil says:

digdeepnbleedblue,

Good points. I had forgot about the dead wood on the NHL team. Some how blocking them from mind thinking about a promising future. With them added to the mix the 50 player limit does not seem to much of a challenge. I wonder was Souray’s buy out holding a spot this year as well a cap hit, I doubt it. I guess we should leave room for the odd graduating forward as well.

I was excited about Teubert’s promise but this year seems to be a poor one for him. Foot speed issues takes great vision to over come and he does not seem to be putting it together this year. His time might be running out with this much talent coming up be hind him. Maybe if Whitney goes away at the deadline Teubert get a chance to prove his worth in the NHL. But he has to climb over Teddy and Fistric to get there before Bigos and Musil catch him from behind, one with size the other with hockey smarts.

LT how could I have forgotten about Bullin leaving. I thought that contract would never end.

39. digdeepnbleedblue says:

I think you’re right about those four. They are a little older and will have at least a yr of pro experience under their belt. Solid bets.

Khabi is a for sure to be gone too. You’re definitely right there! My bad. Though, I’m just hopeful it’s at the TDL for a prospect or pick. The one guy out of your ten that I wonder about is Tyrvainen. He’s a grade-A prick! Dirty SOB. They can be useful.

40. digdeepnbleedblue says:

VanOil,

Fistric and Peckham do have the same skill set and are more experienced. That’s more than likely why Tuebert isn’t going to get a shot in the show this yr regardless of Whitney being shipped out or not, IMO. Though, if Whitney does get moved and one of the two bruisers goes down, he’ll be up.

The kid turns 23 next month. I would suggest he has a couple years in the safe zone to get his sh*t together.

41. FastOil says:

Lowetide: I think they add a real top end defenseman this summer.

Bouwmeester-J Schultz
    Smid-Petry
    N Schultz-Klefbom
    Fistric

Wouldn’t that be something. I think I’d play the vet wrong side though. The left side has org depth, I think they should look at upgrading depth on the right, and there seems to be some RH UFA’s coming up that shouldn’t be out of reach:

Michal Rozsival 34
    Mike Kostka 27
    Alex Sulzer 28
    Tyson Strachan 28

On the Ninja’s page all seem to have reasonable QoC, Corsi, and aren’t being Zone favoured too much. One of the younger guys would be smart to sign because Teubert and Bigos are miles away from being real options for a good team. Given the Oilers injuries the new guy would still likely play a lot.

42. prairieschooner says:

There are a few question marks about players not being fast enough for the NHL I seem to recall
    Samwise was one and now Musil
    I am not sure that it is really a problem because Sam seems fine after some work with the speed skating coach I think Musil can be faster too.
    Are there any of our younger guys who have not improved their speed?

43. dessert1111 says:

Gone will be

1. Ryan Whitney
    2. Nikolai Khabibulin
    3. Andy Sutton
    4. Darcy Hordichuk
    5. Lennart Petrell
    6. Yann Danis
    7. Alex Plante (rfa)
    8. Tanner House (rfa)
    9. Antti Tyrvainen (rfa)
    10. Dane Byers (ufa)

Do Arcobello or Vande Velde get another contract? Fistric, Cornet or Hovinen?

I’d say yes to everyone except Cornet. Undecided about Hovinen.

dessert1111: Do Arcobello or Vande Velde get another contract? Fistric, Cornet or Hovinen?

I’d say yes to everyone except Cornet. Undecided about Hovinen.

Fistric? Yes.
    Cornet? Yes
    Hovinen? No.

45. DeadmanWaking says:

I wonder sometimes whether–in the privacy of the manager’s suede couch beside the heirloom minibar–”the” rebuild is actually a combination play, and that this camel has not one hump, but two. Woodguy said recently that the window could be short: you just don’t know. This is true. Problem: Tambi is the kind of guy who might consider this risk and decide to stock his fridge with freshly squeezed carrot juice to help weather the morning after in relaxed contemplation of this nice crop of late-harvest defensive prospects still ripening on the vine, long after our five stallions are scattered to the four corners of the NHL (which I expect will have four corners by the time this transpires).

If the Detroit model is what we want, that’s actually not a bad long term plan.

46. russ99 says:

With Klefbom losing a developmental year, he really needs a full season in the AHL before he can play the North American style game with the Oilers.

Marincin has had a typical AHL rookie season, but he’s made strides, and I expect him to beat Klefbom to Edmonton, possibly as early as after the holiday roster freeze next season.

With what Marincin has shown so far, I wouldn’t move him, unless we’re getting real quality in return.

47. dessert1111 says:

Lowetide: Arcobello is signed for another year, iirc. If not they’ll have to make a call on him, the guy has really shown well. VV is someone I’d pass on, hoping to upgrade sufficiently at the position. Oilers love him though.

Fistric? Yes.
    Cornet? Yes
    Hovinen? No.

Arco is RFA next year according to Capgeek. Will be interesting to see what they do. Maybe they can do a 3 for 1 one of these days ;)

48. BONVIE says:

Woodguy:

Does anyone know if they closed the J.Shultz loop-hole in the new CBA?

If they can trade for someone like Bouw, it could look like:

Bouw-Petry
    Smid-J.Shultz
    Klef-N.Shultz

That’s an order of magnitude better than today.

looks like a soft Defense core there where is the grit Teddy Peckman, Colten Teubert, or Mark Fistric