Word leaked out this afternoon that the Edmonton Oilers have some of the braintrust in attendance at the Flyers-Capitals game tonight. Who might they be looking at? Well, my feeling is the Oilers need the following:
- a legit top 4 defensemen who can play heavy EV minutes and help in at least one secondary discipline (PP, PK)
- a veteran forward who can slot in with Gagner-Hemsky
- a center who can play a 2-way role (right handed shot preference)
Washington has several of these players:
- Defense: Mike Green plays a lot of (softer) minutes at even strength and has been a PP monster in the past. 19:44 at evens, 4:40 PP and 1:50 PK. I don’t know that they’d trade him but at a $6.083M cap hit I don’t know that they wouldn’t either.
- Defense: Karl Alzner plays a little tougher minutes than Green and does a lot of EV (17:44) and PK (3:12) work. I don’t think you’re going to get Alzner without sending a younger defenseman back, but also know that the Oilers have always liked Alzner.
- Forward: Troy Brouwer has a three year $3.667M per contract kicking in next season, and maybe the Caps want to move him. He does play EV (13:06) PP (3:46) and PK (1:50) time and I suspect the Oilers like his gritty style.
Who would I trade for? No one above. The Caps would be asking too much for Alzner, Green’s contract is dear and Brouwer doesn’t deliver enough for that money. Brouwer is the guy I suspect the Oilers are looking at tonight. We’ll know if he gets a hat-trick.
Philadelphia has several of these players too–especially forwards–but I can’t see any of them being available. Sean Couturier? WHY? Wayne Simmonds? WHY? Scott Hartnell? WHY?
I can’t see an Oiler-Flyer match that will make both of these teams better this season. If it is a salary dump, maybe someone like Luke Schenn but they just got him there and besides brother Braydon plays on the Flyers and that was the reason for bringing in Luke (I think).
Given the choice I’d ask for Hartnell and would be willing to pay in full despite the crazy term on the contract. What say you?