THREE CAN KEEP A SECRET, IF TWO OF THEM ARE DEAD

Word leaked out this afternoon that the Edmonton Oilers have some of the braintrust in attendance at the Flyers-Capitals game tonight. Who might they be looking at? Well, my feeling is the Oilers need the following:

• a legit top 4 defensemen who can play heavy EV minutes and help in at least one secondary discipline (PP, PK)
  • a veteran forward who can slot in with Gagner-Hemsky
  • a center who can play a 2-way role (right handed shot preference)

Washington has several of these players:

• Defense: Mike Green plays a lot of (softer) minutes at even strength and has been a PP monster in the past. 19:44 at evens, 4:40 PP and 1:50 PK. I don’t know that they’d trade him but at  a $6.083M cap hit I don’t know that they wouldn’t either.
  • Defense: Karl Alzner plays a little tougher minutes than Green and does a lot of EV (17:44) and PK (3:12) work. I don’t think you’re going to get Alzner without sending a younger defenseman back, but also know that the Oilers have always liked Alzner.
  • Forward: Troy Brouwer has a three year $3.667M per contract kicking in next season, and maybe the Caps want to move him. He does play EV (13:06) PP (3:46) and PK (1:50) time and I suspect the Oilers like his gritty style.

Who would I trade for? No one above. The Caps would be asking too much for Alzner, Green’s contract is dear and Brouwer doesn’t deliver enough for that money. Brouwer is the guy I suspect the Oilers are looking at tonight. We’ll know if he gets a hat-trick.

Philadelphia has several of these players too–especially forwards–but I can’t see any of them being available. Sean Couturier? WHY? Wayne Simmonds? WHY? Scott Hartnell? WHY?

I can’t see an Oiler-Flyer match that will make both of these teams better this season. If it is a salary dump, maybe someone like Luke Schenn but they just got him there and besides brother Braydon plays on the Flyers and that was the reason for bringing in Luke (I think).

Given the choice I’d ask for Hartnell and would be willing to pay in full despite the crazy term on the contract. What say you?

hartnell

127 Responses to "THREE CAN KEEP A SECRET, IF TWO OF THEM ARE DEAD"

1. Ribs says:

Maybe they’re topping up their Schultz collection?

2. striatic says:

Max Talbot.

3. PDO says:

Joel Ward? Braydon Coburn?

PDO:
    Joel Ward?Braydon Coburn?

I assume they wouldn’t move Coburn, and Ward is a RW on a team with three top quality RW’s.

5. DBO says:

both teams are underperforming and could be likely to make a deal. Bet Bulin going down hurts as I betthey could have added him to washington and gotten Neuvirth? back (vet with experience to back up Holtby, Russian to make Ovechkin happy).

I know in the past Green has often been mentioned. He is a true top 4, but yes he makes serious cash, no way they move Alzner unless Oates hates him, and that makes him crazy. Better not be Brower for the money, although one of the MSM (I forget who, maybe Spector?) mentioned he’d trade Gagner straight up for him because Brower brings missing grit. I don’t agree, but who knows.

As for Philly, Hartnell solves a whole lotta problems, but doubt Hemsky gets it done,nor Gagner, and any of the other kids is a huge overpay by the Oil. I would consider a high pick and top prospect, even if it was a 1st and MPS or Harsky. A lot I know, but he solves a lot of issues, and allows us to consider Hall at centre next year if you move Gagner for the missing dman.

Gagner, Hemsky, Whitney and Bulin for Brower, Green and Neuvirth
    - Caps consider it cause it frees up money next year while still allowing them to make a run this year, and adds some secondary scoring that they lack. We consider ti becausegagner wil be getting $4 mill plus next year, moving Hemsky allows Yak to play RW.
    MPS/Harsky and our 1st for Hartnell.
    - Philly considers it cause they also have money issues going forward and adding a younger cheaper player and a 1st is what they have done two times, and quite successfully, last year. 3rd times a charm?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
    Hartnell-Brower-Yak
    Smyth-Horc-Jones
    Eager-Belanger-MPS/Harsky

Green-Shultz
    Smid-Petry
    Shultz-Fistric (next year Klefbom)

Overpays? Not enough? No idea, but it balances out our team

Hartnell (according to capgeek) has a NTC, changing to a NMC with the new contract, so I can’t see how it could possibly be him.

DBO: I wouldn’t trade Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Schultz the younger, Smid or Petry for any of the guys we’re talking about.

I suspect the Oilers are after grit, and are willing to send away some skill.

Mike Green only has two years left after this year, so I could live with the contract on such a short term. It is a modified NTC according to capgeek.

9. striatic says:

Lowetide: I suspect the Oilers are after grit, and are willing to send away some skill.

Max Talbot.

That’s a Traktor Boy who’ll have a career (should he choose) in the NHL.

11. hunter1909 says:

Why doesn’t the NHL stop Ovechkin when he lets his hockey pants hang out like 1) He’s an idiot/asshole and 2) It’s a clear violation of the rule that says the numbers have to be visible, that is, if there is a rule.

It looks like he’s got a babies car seat sticking up his arse after another night spent at the Toolbox.

12. BlacqueJacque says:

Brouwer doesn’t deliver enough for the money, but for the duration of his contract we should be a below-cap team.

Ideally though, we get a big upgrade on defence as well.

BTW, do you scratch Petry for last game?

13. speeds says:

Not counting on Kuznetsov, for a variety of reasons not the least of which is you can’t scout him in NA.

Brouwer for Paajarvi would be my shot in the dark guess at something that might happen, if I had to make one, I don’t really see WSH or PHI being particularly great fits but who knows?

Maybe something around Poti for Whitney if WSH isn’t particularly pleased with Poti, and both teams are looking to mix things up?

Brouwer’s contract is only three years. I could live with that. Any UFA is going to come with 3 years.

15. speeds says:

I have no belief that EDM would ship out Eberle, or that WSH would move Backstrom, for the sake of argument, how would you fill out a trade structured as:

Eberle + ________

for

Backstrom + ________

?

16. hunter1909 says:

I like how Philly players have beards and looks badass.

Oilers are running a Ferrari Engine in a 1988 Topaz with these kids being so good.

Trade Hemsky+Gagner please.

17. LMHF#1 says:

I’d really rather not have to spend my time at the games booing that cowardly loser (Hartnell).

Caps – Brooks Laich, Eric Fehr, Jeff Schultz

Flyers – any of the regular defencemen.

I’d trade 14 for Simmons straight up.

Probably very similar production over time and Simmons is $2MM cheaper and they are both signed to 2019.

Plus Simmons has that “crusty, gritty, jam” that Oiler fans love.

Plus SImmons probably wins more puck battles which contributes to better puck possession.

I love 14 and think he has a huge brain and a sweet shot, but often he needs someone else to get the puck.

If I can get a guy who can get the puck himself and score slightly under (maybe more with the same line mates) for $2MM less, then you do it.

Have liked Alzner in the past, haven’t kept up to what he is doing.

No interest in Green. Too much $ and J.Shultz already has that spot.

Its good to have one, not two.

Brower?

Very similar corsi, produciton, slot in the lineup to Simmons although Brower seems to play tougher comp.

Hmmm. I seem to like Brower a lot more than I expected to because Spector wanted to trade 89 for him.

Interesting.

19. BlacqueJacque says:

Woodguy,

The problem is that Eberle is Hall’s bestest buddy. Wayne Simmonds isn’t.

20. hunter1909 says:

Never suggest trading Hemsky who’s untouchable around these parts.

Or Horcoff, or Smyth, etc.

Of course Oiler’s vets stink, unless it’s the younger players who are dragging the team down, lol.

21. bookje says:

I have a feeling that Yakupov could be in play – perhaps to Washington. Just a guess based on need. A player or two and first round draft pick.

22. striatic says:

hunter1909: Never suggest trading Hemsky who’s untouchable around these parts.

i’m not so sure about that.

last year i really didn’t want to see Hemsky go and applauded the contract he got.

this year, i think it would be a great idea to trade him.

last year he was untouchable for me, this year he is not.

much has changed.

23. nelson88 says:

Woodguy:
    I’d trade 14 for Simmons straight up.

Plus Simmons has that “crusty, gritty, jam” that Oiler fans love.

Have liked Alzner in the past, haven’t kept up to what he is doing.

No interest in Green.Too much $ and J.Shultz already has that spot.

Its good to have one, not two.

Brower?

Interesting.

Trading Yakupov now is insane. He’s a #1 overall pick who scored a goal that had a jetstream in his most recent game.

Let’s wait to see how good this kid gets.

BlacqueJacque:
    Woodguy,

The problem is that Eberle is Hall’s bestest buddy.Wayne Simmonds isn’t.

That may be.

If you are a GM you have to take that into consideration, but it can`t be your determining factor.

Hall`s played with lots of people over his career and will play with lots more too.

I have no idea if that`s a no-go with Hall.

Not sure if how much I would weight his opinion in the decision.

Some for sure, but not sure how much.

Not sure if his opinion is that strong either way.

Hemsky could be viewed as a replacement for Semin, and a potential cure for what ails Alex Ovechkin.

And with only one year to run, it wouldn’t be a costly experiment for Washington.

Mike Green and Roman Hamrlik for Ales Hemsky and Ryan Whitney.

How does that sound?

27. OilLeak says:

bookje:
    I have a feeling that Yakupov could be in play – perhaps to Washington.Just a guess based on need. A player or two and first round draft pick.

It the oilers trade yakupov for anything less than OEL or Subban I’m done, I’ve been a fan since I was a kid but trading a player of yakupov’s calibre for spare parts just doesn’t fly.

28. BlacqueJacque says:

hunter1909,

Hemsky’s not untradeable at all. Last year people didn’t want to trade him because we’d get below market value. Same with the year prior. Before that, we didn’t have Taylor Hall on the team.

Now that he’s established he’s healthy and productive, the market for him is picking up.

29. VanOil says:

I have faith that Dithers will Dither.

The only trade I would make with either of those teams is Hemsky for OV. Why because if you are going to do something stupid why not go all the way. Salary cap be damned Katz can have the great 8 marketing geriatric treatments for Rexall in the last few year of his contract.

Let’s wait to see how good this kid gets.

Trading Yak would be a loser more from a loser organization.

Therefore I don`t discount it.

His shot has few peers in the NHL and he`s 18 and doesn`t really know the strategy of hockey yet except, get the puck and score“`

He could be unreal.

nelson88: i hereby revoke any previous comments about you being one of the smarter posters on this board. are you on glue?

For which part

32. nelson88 says:

Woodguy,

Simmonds for Eberle. I realize I should have used a smiley face or some thing but i haven’t heard you being that crazy since you went all walk about regarding the hemsky contract.

33. hunter1909 says:

LOL @ everyone more or less forced to worry about the Oiler’s mgmt spotted in some strange big city, as if they’re a pair of 13 year old girls who can’t take care of themselves.

All of which is probably true.

34. Rondo says:

Sean Couturier for Gagner

35. VanOil says:

hunter1909:

All of which is probably true.

A pair of 13 year old girls would have more street sense.

36. Clay says:

DBO:

…although one of the MSM (I forget who, maybe Spector?) mentioned he’d trade Gagner straight up for him because Brower brings missing grit.

It was Spector. A week or two ago. He spent a good part of the first segment of his program railing the lack of grit on the Oilers (as he does whenever he has a mike in front of him), and suggesting that Brouwer was the perfect fix for them. He went as far as to say that, if Brouwer was available, Tambo would be crazy not to trade Gagner straight up for him.

Then, in the next segment, he had Elliot Freedman on. One of his first questions to Freedman was how great would this trade be? Elliot paused for a half second, then proceeded to tell Spector he was nuts. Freedman was trying to be diplomatic about it, but you could tell that he couldn’t believe a rational person would seriously think Gagner for Brouwer was a good idea. I got a good laugh.

I think that having some Oiler brass at a game is old news. MBS and some others were scouting the Leafs pretty closely earlier this year. What of it? I’ll get excited when a deal actually goes down.

37. B S says:

I like Wayne Simmonds, but Eberle he is not. Simmonds can’t score the goals that Eberle can. When (yes I am just glowing with optimism today) the Oilers are contending for a Cup, I take Eberle on my team over Simmonds. If we could get him without giving up one of the young stars I’d be all for it, but I don’t think Philly would bite.

Hartnell’s an @$$, and not in a pesky in your face tough guy way, he’s more like Sean Avery. It’s bad for the room to have to put up with a player like that.

Also, on the topic of team toughness, F#$% Bob Mackenzie “Yakupov has to absorb that hit” wrt Carcillo. Wrong, Yakupov needs to throw his hip into Carcillo so that prick doesn’t try a late hit ever again. Missed the duck as I was only half watching the game, but looked like a beautiful move by N64. Should give a few more idiots out there second thoughts about trying to run him near the boards. Hall made a similar move on Doughty last season, after his brutal hit in an earlier game. The young guys need to stick up for themselves rather than relying on Gagner to do it for them.

38. 42 percent body fat says:

Rondo,

Philly wouldnt do this as the dont need guys with gagners offense. Couturier is a different player that fits in perfectly with philly.

39. nelson88 says:

Holmgren isn’t scared to make big; out of left field, trades. If he also has a good sense of humour maybe it is Schenn #1 and #2 for Gagner and Whitney. That way the Philly announcers can fumble through “gagner passes to gagner” or something like that.

I’m not endorsing the above trade. just throwing it out there.

40. bookje says:

Let’s wait to see how good this kid gets.

I agree. I am not advocating for it.

41. FPB94 says:

Scott Hartnell takes some assanine penalties. Maybe that’d be why.

42. Kris11 says:

Not that it will happen, but Eberle (or maybe even Yak) for Couturier makes some sense for both teams. Oilers want another C going forward and are willing to give up a great wing.

If the Oilers really want someone, it is probably Green, who costs a ton, but would alter the Oilers D in a “Wow” kind of way. The thing is, I don’t see how the Oilers could give up not too little or too much for Green. I’m sure Washington would want one of the super kids and that is an overpay for an older player with a big cap hit. Maybe Gagner + (and the question is how big the plus is) gets it done.

But I don’t know if Washington wants to add C and youth (prospects, or maybe MPS) at the cost of D. It is so hard to replace a Green-type player that the trade wouldn’t make much sense, even if we overpay slightly.

So, best bet: Gagner, Marincin, and a first rounder for Green.

43. 42 percent body fat says:

nelson88:
    Woodguy,

Not that I would do this trade, but unless Eberle goes ppg with his new contract he will be the one shipped out. He has the least upside of the 4. We have three RW’s that can play top 6, and he is not russian so he has more value (not my opinion). His defensive game has also gone to shit.

What a stupid contract. Paying based on a ridiculous shooting percentage and one year of performance. Now we set a stupid precedent. Now Nuge and Yak despite performance will get extended in the first year possible to 6M. What if Gagner becomes the first oiler to go ppg since smyth in 06 (hemsky 22 in 22 not included). How much you have to pay him? He is also now one of your top PK guys. F#@K our managements contract overpays.

44. bookje says:

VanOil: A pair of 13 year old girls would have more street sense.

Yuk Yuk , that’s brilliant, seriously brilliant. Steve Smith wishes he had thought of it.

45. 42 percent body fat says:

Kris11,

Mike Green is terrible. OVERPAY. We need defense who can play both ways, not just on a stacked pp and contribute nothing else.

46. bookje says:

It’s hard to keep up in this town. A guy has to be careful or he might end up smashing the wrong baby furniture.

47. Kris11 says:

A pair of three year old girls would have more sense.

No, check that, a pair of three year old chimanzees would have more sense.

No, check that too, a pair of three year old shoes would have more sense than Tambellini.

Also, Boogie thinks we are too hard on Tambellini.

48. Rondo says:

Carlson

49. 42 percent body fat says:

bookje,

not washed up, not a bum, and not being run out of town.

But he will be overpaid if he doesnt get going again, and being traded because we have depth and he has value is not being run out of town. Getting all over Gagner and Hemsky for a bad year or not becoming elite players but still filling a hole is running a player out of town.

50. hunter1909 says:

bookje,

Stolen from OIler’s HQ:

Memo:
    Eberle: Lost his scoring touch; trading him now great because…
    Hall: Can’t stay out of trouble/off IR; trade him before he asks for a trade.
    RNH: He isn’t working out the way Oilers planned.
    J Schultz: Goodish player but…
    Yakupov: Did you see him give the puck away? Oiler’s can’t be expected to develop these kids, as they’ve gone on record as stating the NHL is NOT for holding these kid’s hands.

51. BlacqueJacque says:

bookje,

Yeah it’s getting kind of ridiculous.

Granted, I was among the first to comment that Eberle was looking staid and predictable, but neither do I think he’s a bum.

The Oilers did make a mistake for signing him for that much and for that long, but c’est la vie. Contract negotiations should have been “Jordan, you had a fantastic year but we think even you’ll agree that the shooting percentage is lights-out. We can offer you a cheaper, long-years deal or a high-paying 2-year contract where you show us you can do that consistently.” Of course, this isn’t an ideal world, and IIRC Eberle’s agent is Meehan.

Fuck Meehan.

52. Ribs says:

bookje: Wait, I didn’t get the memo – so now Eberle is the washed up, overrated, over paid, bum on the team?

Don’t worry, we’re gonna trade him for Kyle Wellwood. That guy is awesome¡

53. BlacqueJacque says:

Can someone remind me where Gagner for Wellwood originated? Was this one of the unmentionable idiot’s pet fantasies, or am I thinking of a comment made during an Edmonton-Vancouver match?

54. icecastles says:

Ryan Kessler out with a broken foot. I don’t want to laugh, but… Ah fuck it. Yeah I do.

I’m glad Vancouver has been able to find a player in-house who can replace Sami Salo’s “minutes”. Giggle.

55. RickDeckard says:

I’d do Eberle for Couturier without even putting the phone down. Oilers need to convert their RW depth into center depth. Eberle’s contract is too much for what he is right now.

Hall may be friends with Eberle but he wants to win above all else. Does he miss his teammates in Windsor? In minor hockey? No, and he shouldn’t. He is continually the best player on the team he plays for and should be used to leaving friends behind.

Adding Couturier gives them more leverage with Gagner’s next contract. Right now Gagner has the Oilers by the balls and even at $4.5M he’d still be the cheapest top 6 center the Oilers can sign for next year.

It also covers for the Oilers total lack of top 6 center prospects and from there the Oilers don’t need to feel forced in to draft a center in June and the less “need” that comes into play the better.

Finally, Couturier is still on his ELC and that gives the Oilers more cap space during the upcoming crunch, allowing them to make moves to be competitive next year.

56. spoiler says:

The Good: The Oilers braintrust are scouting

The Bad: Brains willing to pull down their panties for Dany Heatley’s schtick probably shouldn’t be allowed out of their own bedrooms

The Ugly: They’re really only there because they hate curling and the Oil don’t play tonight.

57. FPB94 says:

I love Couturier and i’m probably one of his biggest champions but I wouldn’t trade Eberle for him, simply because Eberle could net much more.

If you talked to the Caps about Ovechkin for Ebs i’m not sure they hang up.

58. Rondo says:

I would imagine Oilers would be looking at Alzner. That is my best guess.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I can already imagine it:

Brouwer arrives in a trade for Hemsky. Immediately the Edmonton media establishment congratulates itself when Brouwer sits down with Spector and dishes about how awful Hemsky was in the room, lacked compete, toughness, etc., is the first to leave practice, and the word “enigma” gets tossed around in its exclusively pejorative sense. No one bothers to wonder how Brouwer managed to acquire this insight into Hemsky.

The Oil go on a 3 game win streak which leads to a segment on Coach’s Corner about how adding “toughness” is what leads to winning, etc. etc. After the Oil lose the next 6 games in a row, the media starts complaining about secondary scoring and the pointy finger of blame turns once more to Gagner.

60. spoiler says:

Alzner?? Why in the name of Gord would the Caps trade their keystone defenceman?

The Oilers finally have high end talent, and everyone wants to trade it away. It is much easier to find a player with Couturier’s skills than it is to find one with Eberle’s.

Ditto with the complaints suddenly arising about Hall earlier in the season.

Geez, folks. Relax.

The cup is half full, and getting fuller. It is not half empty, and emptying.

62. bookje says:

Kris11,

It’s not the insult to Lowe or Tambellini that offends me, it is the insult to the humour standards of this blog site, you poopyhead!

63. Gret99zky says:

spoiler:
    The Good: The Oilers braintrust are scouting

This made me laugh out loud. Son just asked, “What’s so funny, Dad?” Nothing. Well played sir. :)

64. Smarmy says:

Tambi doesn’t have the stones to make a big trade with one of the big five and we should be glad because the return would suck shit and we’d all want to immolate ourselves.

Philly is still thin as hell on the blueline no? They’d probably take a flyer on Whitney for scraps. I think Washington is more interesting. I think they need more secondary scoring so guys like Gagner and Hemsky might get them to part with something the Oilers need.

65. BlacqueJacque says:

You know, I just watched the “Krueger Raw” video on the Oilers site and it’s funny how he assuages anxieties without apparently trying to. I can see how he’s a good motivational speaker.

nelson88:
    Woodguy,

Upon second look, I’d need PHI’s 1st too.

Simmond’s production is certainly less than Eberle.

Mind you, that’s without Simmonds playing with Hall.

Eberle’s production without Hall isn’t in the same class as it is with him.

Maybe Simmonds would see the same bump in production?

Maybe more?

Rondo:
    Sean Couturier for Gagner

Done.

68. Captain Happy says:

42 percent body fat:
    Kris11,

Mike Green is terrible.OVERPAY. We need defense who can play both ways, not just on a stacked pp and contribute nothing else.

Like Justin Schultz?

bookje:

It’s hard to keep up in this town.A guy has to be careful or he might end up smashing the wrong baby furniture.

Good ol’ Bookie.

Always good to take to keep things between the lines and not over represent an opinion.

70. bookje says:

Woodguy: Good ol’ Bookie.

Communist

godot10,

Which skill is that?

bookje: Communist

Emotist.

Smarmy:

Whitney for Foster.

Book it!

74. striker says:

Trading away Yak is nuts.
    Alzner and Coutourier, no way we would be able to pry out either of those two, will cost way too much. Having said that, I would not mind getting Brouwer, on this team, he has size, defensive awareness and reasonable offensive ability. Would I trade Gagner for him straight up, no way in hell. I think the price may be less than people expect. I agree that his salary is a little high for what he brings but not so much that something could not be worked out. The new CBA allows teams to keep salary on their books and retain part of a contract (up to half if I recall).

Speaking of not bringin enough bang for the buck
    Hartnell is 30 and his cap hit is $4.75 mill until 2019
    Brouwer is 27 and cap hit is $3.67 mill until 2016

I dont like the idea of very long contracts except for core players. 3 years seems like a happy medium.

After this year, Brouwer has 3 years left. The Caps may agree to pay a portion of that contract in a deal,like I said up to half the contract but lets say they agree to pay 700 k.
    Does Brouwer at 3 mill a year cap hit sounds more palatable?
    Of course it all depends on what the Caps ask for in return, if its too much Tambo should walk away but being first in line to ask what a player might cost is never a bad thing.

On a side note, how are teams going to evaluate the value of assets going one way versus the importance of saving cap space. Could the Oilers offer to eat Brouwer’s entire cap hit in exchange for the Caps agreeing to take a B level prospect instead of an A level one?

Finally, Brouwer’s comments about Semin are off base IMO. Semin is a very good skilled player who has been unfairly labelled as uninterested and not giving his all. Even granting that may be the case, when you have that much skill, the coach might not be as upset if you dont backcheck as hard as the other grinders whose paycheck depends on them backchecking.

75. Captain Happy says:

Woodguy: Upon second look, I’d need PHI’s 1st too.

Simmond’s production is certainly less than Eberle.

Mind you, that’s without Simmonds playing with Hall.

Eberle’s production without Hall isn’t in the same class as it is with him.

Maybe Simmonds would see the same bump in production?

Maybe more?

Simmonds has 8G 8A 16P this season playing second line minutes.

He’s also only 24 years old.

Hemsky has 7G 3A 10P and is still riding an unsustainable shooting percentage of 18.9%.

Hemsky + for Simmonds would be an upgrade in many ways.

76. Henry says:

I’m nervous. If the Oilers make a hockey trade, they have to make the other guy overpay for a change. Holmgren is too generous handing out contracts, but tends to win trades. I don’t trust Tambi with him. Green’s contract and injury history would be an albatross. How would they pay J. Schultz, RNH, Yak and the goalie of the future with that? He gets hurt once and he’ll be the next Pronger/Souray/Yishno/Whitney veteran offensive defenseman sent out of town in flames for nothing back.

Gagner for Couturier makes some sense maybe. If they trade Hemsky for Brower or whatever else Spector suggests, I’m getting out Tambi’s voodoo avatar, a scalpel, needlenose pliers, some maggots and a blowtorch.

77. BlacqueJacque says:

striker,

I don’t think teams can trade cap hit. Not that way, at least.

If the Caps trade Brouwer to the Oilers, the Oilers assume the entire cap hit – even if the Caps are paying 10, 30, or even 100% of his salary.

78. bookje says:

Woodguy: Emotist.

I don’t think that word means what you think it means

79. Smarmy says:

Woodguy: Whitney for Foster.

Book it!

Ha! If I’m Katz I let him make the deal and when he has that shit eating grin on this face I fire his ass.

And he wouldn’t even know why….

80. bookje says:

Woodguy: Whitney for Foster.

Book it!

Done!

81. striker says:

In all honesty, I think Tambo should really push for a Jeff Schultz trade. We’ll end up a bonus player in the deal when the 3 Schultz’s decide let their powers combine.

82. Smarmy says:

Unfortunately the power of the three Schultz’s will be muted by the colossal failure that is the Oiler’s front office.

Therefore, their powers will only create 1 ES goal in one game rather then the win the Stanley Cup as their powers would normally yield in normal circumstances.

Oh and a massive shoulder injury to some Oiler will also occur as a consequence.

83. gogliano says:

84. Dixs35 says:

@Lowetide

Just have a feeling that you are going to see that 3-1 trade you have been talking about for years. With Briere saying no to being traded and PHI looking for D help now and in the future. I think Couturier may be on the table.

Petry + Marincin/Klefbom + Pick/Pospects for Couturier+ depends if it’s Klefbom or Marincin

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

For reference:

The Gagner/Brouwer Spector/Friedman talk was Feb 8th, end of first hour:

86. 42 percent body fat says:

Dixs35,

nope, because of the skill set of Giroux it is more likely that Schenn (despite his brother) is more tradeable. A big to way center who can produce and a perfect fit for a second line center while still being two years younger than Schenn, is not for sale.

87. striker says:

BlacqueJacque,

I’m unclear whether a team can retain both the actual salary and the cap hit but it seems like something akin to what I describe is possible unless I’m misreading this article

88. Traktor says:

Edmonton could get RoR for a 1st and 3rd.

89. PDO says:

Traktor:
    Edmonton could get RoR for a 1st and 3rd.

We would have to trade for our third back first

90. Dixs35 says:

42 percent body fat,

I just can’t see them moving Schenn. If it was Schenn on the table despite his skills I would hope management looks elsewhere.

Captain Happy: Like Justin Schultz?

Yeah a ELC is an overpay.

Yeah, you pigeonhole a rookie.

How’s your Calder candidate Granland doing?

92. Rustyknuckler says:

How come no one has mentioned Joel Ward from Washington? The guy played great in Nashville has size and grit and may be available for a reasonable price.

Captain Happy: Simmonds has 8G 8A 16P this season playing second line minutes.

He’s also only 24 years old.

Hemsky + for Simmonds would be an upgrade in many ways.

In a heartbeat.

bookje: I don’t think that word means what you think it means

I made it up, so I’m pretty sure it means what I think it does.

95. stevezie says:

godot10,

I’m going to respond to something you said in the last thread, but it is still on topic. After misunderstanding my in re: Cody McCormick and repeating both my points, you said that we don’t need to upgrade from VDV to another marginal player. I disagree. If some other team’s fifth centre is better than our sixth (Mike Zigomanis was my off the top of my head idea) than we would be daft not to pursue it.

You’re right, VDV is not our biggest problem, but the devil is in the details. Our bottom six is not good enough. Eager-Belanger-Jones made a great fourth line against Chicago, but sadly they were our third. I reject the idea that management only has time to pursue one problem at a time.

Horcoff isn’t coming back soon. Upgrading the top two is a nice idea, but finding a better option than VDV (or even Lander) would also really help and should be a lot easier.

96. FPB94 says:

The Chicago BlackHawks haven’t lost in regulation for 19 games now.

Is that a record?

97. PDO says:

Philly would be insane to trade Simmonds. Should be a consistent 30 goal man that wins every 50/50 puck battle and is signed to a bargain contract for 6 years.

98. Bruce McCurdy says:

gogliano: Maybe they are just scouting the + in the Gagner and Eberle for Pronger + trade?

You mean the Gagner and Eberle + for Pronger trade?

99. Bruce McCurdy says:

FPB94:
    The Chicago BlackHawks haven’t lost inregulation for 19 games now.

Is that a record?

It’s a record for start of the season. The record for any time during a season is 35 games, by the 1979-80 Flyers.

100. FPB94 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

What’s even more impressive is that none of them seem to be scoring at an insane unsustainable pace (Except Kane) and there’s guys on massive droughts (Frolik or Saad)

101. FastOil says:

Any trade has to cover point production for forwards. I am a Couturier fan, an O’Reilly fan, but the Oilers lack goal scoring, so trading an offensive player for a defensive player (which can be learned, no?) is a mistake unless that player also scores as well. Kessler’s latest injury shows the question with hard playing forwards. Staying healthy while maintaining quality play is the most desirable trait in a player (Lidstrom), and is often the difference between HOF players and really talented guys that don’t get there. You have to play enough games.

I would trade Hemsky (not that I don’t think he’s full value, more that he’ll be done sooner than the team needs) for the strong two way centre, the lottery draft pick in a deep draft in positions we need, or a top pairing LH defenseman, whatever combo package that is reasonable.

Trading offense for defense would be a clear sign to me of management incompetence. The guys who don’t score as much yet play well are easier and cheaper to get. You don’t move the core, you try to enhance it. If they have realized the mistake with Eberle’s contract (rewarded for a most likely outlying season, payed as well as the by far best player on the team) they need to bring back a similar aged player, not a 29 year old on the edge of decline, or be sure they can sign a UFA to replace the goals.

102. DeadmanWaking says:

Woodguy does have a glue habit. It usually lasts a few hours. Others who drop by also have a glue habit, one where the effect wears off in years or decades. If I had a 508-Horsepower Volvo I’d opt for the Woodguy suspension package. Just crazy enough in the moment to let you forget you’re driving a Volvo, but then nicely settles down when the turbocharger lifts the nose wheel as you pass though 2500 RPM with a “cabin-filling boom”.

Cult has a piece about the lack of market for Whitney. Here’s the real reason: Whitney is the anti-Wilkinson. Tom Wilkinson spent the first three quarters bobbing his head in a certain rhythm with the snap cadence. Then at some point in the 4th quarter, maybe at 2nd and six, he would modify the head bob and draw an offside. Everyone knew he did this, but it continued to work, and eventually the league made a new rule to the effect of “intentionally drawing offside”. Then he finally had to give it up. It was only a five yard gain, plus maybe a free play if it was twitch offside. But he timed it right. He knew how to put together that desperation drive: stringing all the weaknesses he had discovered in the defensive coverage into one glorious sequence. That was one of the first questions I ever asked my father about sports. They would run this great play against the grain in the second possession and pick up twelve yards. Then you’d never see it again. Why, dad, don’t they do it again? “He’s saving it for later.” Wise words. The other thing I learned is that Brian Kelly knew where the chains are placed like a shivering goose knows the direction south. If he caught the ball, he moved the chains. When the chips were down, he played like that extra foot after the first down was his personal end-zone. Maybe it was a form of trash talk. My Dad never explained trash talk. Sucks to be the minister’s son.

Whitney is the complete opposite of this. He’s the guy with a red circle in Wilkinson’s mind to isolate and go walk-about out of the corner and rip a wrister in the dying minute. He’s the guy who rewards his teammates for gutting it out and sticking to the game plan for 59 minutes with abject deflation. He’s the guy with the red circle on the whiteboard of every coach we’ve played. He’s the guy who folds up like a $5 lawn chair on that one play he just has to make. Every coach wants one of those. On the Eskimoes, everyone on the team had absolute faith in Wilkinson, Kelly, and Tommy Scott. These guys made their plays with the clock ticking down even when the other team knew it was coming. My dad winced every time Scott ran into the flat, jumped two feet into the air to bring down the pass at the end of his fingers, and took his licking from the middle linebacker after baring his big red kamikaze “hit me” spot for all to see. One you know, you know. But he invariably spotted the ball on the place-kicker’s lucky Loonie. And then you had the opposite guy, the running back where the QB would drill the ball through outstretched hands and hit him right between the numbers one stride short of the first down marker, and the guy would be so busy laying down a power stride to turn up field that he’d forget to secure the reception. End of possession. Whitney is the guy who gives you ulcers because he’s physically incapable of rising to meet the critical moment. He’s the guy on the other team you look at when you’re feeling frustrated that you’ve been giving it 110% for the last twenty-five minutes to notch the tying goal and the gods of hockeys bounces aren’t smiling upon your cause. He’s the guy who is going to fall for the head bob, drop a certain first down because he’s focused on extra yards, or catch the ball in first down territory, then button hook the reception into third and long thinking he might break the tackle. And he can’t do a damn thing about it, because a critical thruster has failed him. Whitney is the anti-Fuhr. A coach can only heal so many knives to the heart before his magic fades. Krueger knows this. That’s why I said Krueger would run Whitney out of town just before Whitney became his favourite scratch of the day.

Bruce has this running on Cult: Follow the bouncing Bettman point — how many points will be needed to make playoffs out west?

He’s addressing loser-point inflation, which my unexpectedly prominent endorsement of sportsclubstats did not go into. Here’s what SCS has to say about it:

The 50/50 method gives each opponent an equal chance of winning each game. Both methods let an appropriate percent of games end in a tie or go into overtime in leagues where that matters. When it’s finished “playing” all the remaining games it applies the league’s tie breaking rules to see where everyone finished.

But the site commander doesn’t reveal the coefficients presently applied to the Bettman bonanza. I suspect he uses the previous season’s league average. Game theory predicts that there will be inflation, and the inflation for some reason seems to have struck the western conference either sooner or harder. This certainly moves par northward, but it doesn’t greatly affect how many birdies we need to achieve before reaching the club house. Maybe we need an extra point to make the cut, but it’s also slightly easier to get. A rusing toad lifts all boats.

Personally, I’ve given up on the standings completely in terms of numerical norms. The simulation corrects for many things. Late last season I think it was Buffalo surging and looking like a lock to seal the deal to the homies on WGR, but SCS wasn’t fooled. IIRC, the WGR crew did a long editorial to the effect that SCS was smoking something: a team on a roll with that much confidence doesn’t fade in the last four games. Whoops. No, actually, a team on a roll does sometimes lose a critical game at the end of the run and come up one game short. Confidence: L, Statistics: W. I’d cite the piece but Google has decided that last season no longer exists. Sports fans have a two week event horizon. Code is law. Except … suddenly my trick brain recalls the guy’s name was Brad Riter. Now I can dredge it up. He begins his fatal dance at about the one minute mark.

Choice shovel strokes: “My mind’s eye can’t picture this team suddenly collapsing.” “[If you] plug that kind of confidence into them.”

Hey, confidence never hits the wall. After that dominant performance in G6SCF, it was all over but the flight east. No, actually, the odds makers gave Carolina a substantial edge, because home ice for G7 is historically big, never mind they played like shit in G6. I have to admit I was on the wood glue myself after G6 and I might even have privately dissed the odds makers in Vegas for failing to foretell the inevitable. Rapture: L, Statistics: W.

You can sometimes beat the statistics after you concede that simulations don’t lie, they just don’t always tell the whole truth. The whole truth does not mean adding airy-fairy notions of confidence, but specific knowledge of why a certain player might be playing better or worse on any given night. Example: Jagr after making a game-long study of Whitney’s ankle.

My first hope was that Danis was up just to give him a brief change of scenery during a rough patch with the old confidence thing. Any game where Khabi makes two kick saves he’s automatically IR eligible. But then I see the cover story involves “flight home” and “groin pull” and “MRI” and a specific play mentioned along with sound effects. Goodbye mercy hook, you’ve just been upgraded from first string to only string. Speaking of goalies, NYTimes has a nice article on Brodeur.

How Come Martin Brodeur Is Still So Good?

It’s a good piece, but it has one minor bonehead nuance as an editor I would never accept:

In 2003, the last time the Devils won the Stanley Cup, the M.V.P. award, in what seemed a pointed slight, went not to Brodeur but to the opposing goalie, Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks …

The problem lies in having also penned this passage:

Resch and Caron are convinced that Brodeur’s way of playing puts much less wear and tear on a goaltender and is why he has been able to play for so long. “Quick can’t play like that in 20 years,” Caron said, referring to Jonathan Quick, the aptly named Los Angeles Kings goalie, who won the Stanley Cup M.V.P. last year after his team defeated the Devils in six games. “In 20 years their backs will go, their knees will go. I think Marty is smart enough to readjust his play according to what he can’t do. Your reflexes go a little bit, but by being in the right position and in the flow of the game, it compensates for a lot of that.”

So he’s not a Volvo and a Miata all rolled up into one supreme being. Surprising, that. But no, Charles McGrath just can’t help himself from letting Oscar logic into the room. So then, here’s what we do: we give Giggy the real Conn Smythe, and we give Brodeur the Oscar Conn Smythe, and then everyone’s happy.

There’s also a bit of goalie lore about Gilles Gratton as the loopiest goalie of all time (which takes some doing) and his nudie tours.

103. Bruce McCurdy says:

FPB94:
    Bruce McCurdy,

104. striatic says:

Bruce McCurdy: What impresses me is that the Hawks haven’t been beaten at actual hockey all season. They are 11-0-8 in regulation time, and 14-0-5 through 65 minutes. In shootouts they are 2-3.

every one of their major players has struggled in one way or another for stretches of that streak too, but they still win.

105. Ducey says:

I am not sure anyone is still reading after than Deadman post. I’ll need to phone a friend to wade thru all that. :)

I am guessing the Oilers try and grab Luke Schenn. Maybe they try and get both Schenn brothers. I would think something like Gagner and Peckham might go back.

DMW: That was beautiful as always. First time I met Tom Wilkinson I spent several sentences rambling on about how great he was, before he interrupted me and started talking about his garage.

Jesus. I’ll never forget that.

107. hockeyguy10 says:

If the trade is Gagner for Brouwer the Oilers need more back. Brouwer was a bottom six player in Chicago on a cup team. Gagner straight up is an overpay. Besides why do we need a guy here who always seems to call out his own players in the press.

And someone earlier mentioned Hartnell as being a cowardly loser?. Just because he is a prick to play against doesn’t mean he isn’t exactly what this team needs. Unless the Oilers start causing some havoc in front of opposing goaltenders they can have all the 56 shot games they want. The SH% will remain where its at.

108. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

St. Croix with a minute left to dump Portland 4-3. Dominant 3rd.

109. justDOit says:

I think they were there to see Semin.

Yes. I know.

110. "Steve Smith" says:

bookje: Yuk Yuk , that’s brilliant, seriously brilliant.Steve Smith wishes he had thought of it.

I did; I’ve been writing VanOil’s material for years.

111. Dixs35 says:

My first U of A spring practice I went out to introduce myself again only to find him layed out belly down on a bed of tackling dummies with chew spit dripping down his face. Wilky is an absolute card. I can’t count the number of times he assumed that position during my career.

112. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Trading Gagner for Couturier Would be worthy of a very long slow clap.

Trading For Kuznetsov would be worthy of dropping to ones knees in tears and rejoicing in the hockey gods! Tambellini and Lowe would be immediately forgiven for all past blunders.

One could hope.

113. FPB94 says:

Wes Mantooth-11,

I’d call the mounties for highway robbery.

114. justDOit says:

There were about 7 other reps from 3 different teams at that game, so I’m not sure how probably anything is to come our way. But looking at the needs of the Caps, they could sure use a steady veteran presence to mentor those young goalies.

115. FPB94 says:

justDOit,

I see what you did there.

116. Captain Obvious says:

stevezie:
    godot10,

Amen. A long time ago Bill James said that bad teams blame their best players for the team being bad. This is certainly what the media around the Oilers does and what I suspect the Oilers do as well. The Oilers problem isn’t that they don’t have enough grit. Their problem is they have too many AHL players.

Trading Gagner for Brouwer isn’t the solution. Replacing Eager and Petrell with actual NHL players and playing Belanger as little as possible is the solution.

That said if we were to trade with either the Flyers or the Capitals there aren’t that many players who are worth getting while there are many that should be avoided:

On the Capitals Brouwer is good, Jason Chimera was good last year. Mike Green is no longer and way overpaid. As for the rest I either can’t have them (Carlson) or don’t want them (Backstrom, Ovechkin, Alzner).

The Flyers are a much more interesting team. I’d be interested in SImmonds, Couturier, and Hartnell all of whom are good but also Matt Read.

Of those guys Simmonds and Couturier are the only ones that are really exciting but they aren’t quite attainable.

The truth of the matter is that the Oilers currently have a talent deficit. They can’t be trading away talent to rearrange the deck chairs. Instead they have to find talent for nothing by finding guys before they are established.

Despite what Rishaug says the problem isn’t the mix. The problem is they don’t have enough talent.

117. stevezie says:

Captain Obvious: They can’t be trading away talent to rearrange the deck chairs. Instead they have to find talent for nothing by finding guys before they are established.

Right. If you want to improve the mix then go nuts, but we are not at the “Coffey for Shanahan” stage. We need to acquire our Shanahan (or Matteau or Ramage or whomever) for nothing. We need to just make him appear.

Some of you will point out this is improbably difficult. You are correct. That is why the people who can do it get paid millions.

Someone in the last thread correctly used Edmonton as an argument against tanking. You can’t deplete your team to expansion levels for several years without long-term consequences.

Getting Kipper on waivers, signing Chara, drafting Datsyuk in the sixth, trading Stojanov for Naslund… obviously it doesn’t have to net a hall-of-fame candidate, but we need an immaculate transaction.

118. stevezie says:

Where would be if we had signed Michael Rosival? If Brett Clarke is the real deal then we are burning daylight leaving him on the farm. Pick your favourite whipping boy and send him down (even if it is Petrell. Yes we’ll look stupid with nine D-men on the roster, but we look pretty dumb losing games too.)

119. B S says:

hockeyguy10,

That was me. Pricks ruin good teams (see Avery, Cooke) because players have to lace up and smile to the guy every game, then he goes and does something embarrassing. Hartnell hasn’t been the worst offender by any means, but those guys take a fair amount of control from the coaches to be effective. He also takes stupid penalties (unless he’s changed that recently, I haven’t watched much of Philly this season, mostly last season) and if you’ve payed attention to the officiating the Oilers can ill afford stupid penalties each game, they aren’t getting much slack from the officials.

120. G Money says:

Duh, Potter and Whitney for Ovechkin and Alzner.

C’mon Tambo, make that trade! It’s not like its up to the other guy!

121. nelson88 says:

For those complaining about Eberle’s contract (already) last I checked he is getting paid about 800K + potential bonuses for his production.

How many of you like the Parise contract (welcome back DeeSFu)? Come on, be honest. Happy to take a wager on whether in 6 years Eberle produced more at $6M/year or Parise at $7.8M.

122. murphy says:

We have heard from Gregor many times now that a difficult decision is going to be made soon. Basically a smaller skilled player for a big two way player, this screams Eberle, whitney, and the ducks 2nd for couturier and the flyers 1st. No one wants to give up ebs but when yak gets his 6m a year (and he will), that would be 18 mil a year for 3 wingers. You cannot do that in this league and expect to go deep in the playoffs. Year to year it is always the teams loaded at C who go deep or win it. It’s time to make that difficult decision and have a player like Couturier come into the fold and develop some chemistry with yak or hall,.

123. Truth says:

Twitter: “@DarrenDreger Oil Speculation based on Lowe and MacTavish watching Cap-Flyers. Scouting for Team Canada before attending a sports analytics conf in Bos.”

I was going to suggest they really just wanted a good cheese steak sandwich, but similar. No implications for Oilers of course. Don’t we know better by now?

124. Minister D- says:

I don’t believe it’d ever happen, but Gagner++ for Couturier would melt my heart faster than you could say “depth at C.”

125. raventalon40 says:

BlacqueJacque:

Ideally though, we get a big upgrade on defence as well.

BTW, do you scratch Petry for last game?

Yes. But that’s only to keep a consistent message to guys like Smyth and Whitney.

If not for that, I would say no. Can’t scratch a guy for one mistake, imo, if he’s supposed to keep his confidence up and learn from his mistake.

But not to be wishwashy on the topic, I’d stay consistent and scratch him and play Whitney, even if that makes us a lesser team for one game.

126. Melman says:

I think you’d regret trading Gagner for Brouwer. He comes across as a tool and I’d rather see what Gagner will do now that all this time has been invested in him. As wonderful as Hemsky is to watch (I love the guy) holy hanna he’d be hard to play with b/c you never know where he’s going.