TWO WEEKS FROM EVERYWHERE!

The long road back to respectability continues tomorrow in Motown for your Edmonton Oilers. The club sits in a playoff spot this morning, and if the season ended today Edmonton would face Chicago–a team they’ve had success against in the past.

After 10 games, and with 38 to play–Edmonton is two weeks from everywhere. By Feb 22, this team could be in 4th or they could be in 12th, or they could be right where they are now.

standings capture

I don’t think Oiler fans can be disappointed with the effort and result so far, and if the shooting percentage Gods decide to play fair then the next 5 game run should result in more than 6 points.

DIALOGUE

Pomade Vendor: I can get the part from Bristol. It’ll take two weeks, here’s your pomade.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Two weeks? That don’t do me no good.
Pomade Vendor: Nearest Ford auto man’s Bristol.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Hold on, I don’t want this pomade. I want Dapper Dan.
Pomade Vendor: I don’t carry Dapper Dan, I carry Fop.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, I don’t want Fop, goddamn it! I’m a Dapper Dan man!
Pomade Vendor: Watch your language, young feller, this is a public market. Now if you want Dapper Dan, I can order it for you, have it in a couple of weeks.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, ain’t this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!

A few things:

• Nuge is ready to go based on reports, and Eager is likely to draw in as well tomorrow over Hordichuk. Lander’s spot may go to Chris VandeVelde, although Tanner House is a similar player type.
  • I wonder if Fistric-Potter plays both games this weekend, giving Whitney a rest. If Whitney does play, then “showcase” might be a possibility.
  • It is galling to know the Oilers are going to insert Khabibulin into a game–probably this weekend–without benefit of receiving live ammo in previous rehab games.
  • A couple of new toys on the Al Gore–hat tip to Woodguy for pointing them out–player usage charts help look inside coaching strategy using the Sledgehammer method we talked about in the spring. Vollman is a genius, Desjardins too. The fact that this information is provided free of charge on the internet tells you about those two men as people.
  • Left Wing Lock has the line matching toy up and rolling, very interesting and insightful.
  • All we’re missing now is Dennis King scoring chances for specific players, suspect that’ll roll soon. Early indications are that this team is improved in the discipline.

I’m still giddy we have a season at all, and the possibility of a trade deadline where the Oilers acquire talent is a beautiful dream. Will it happen?

Two weeks from everywhere.

70 Responses to "TWO WEEKS FROM EVERYWHERE!"

1. blackdog says:

Yeah following Dennis on the tweeter pretty well very game has been at least a sawoff so far for chances, even at ES so that’s a good sign a well.

2. DBO says:

OK, so coffee waking me up, and no real desire to work hard anytime soon so i looked at the Rangers and their cap issues next year. They have to really open the wallets next year since Hagelin, Stepan and McDonough are all RFA’s, and the following year they are in trouble since half their team is up. So their window is this year and possibly next year.

I would offer Whitney (who helps the PP and is off the books next year), a high pick (2nd) and a high end prospect (like Marincin) or two instead of picks (like Pitlik) for Boyle and Stralman. Both fit our age range (Boyle 28, Stralman 26), and fit our needs. Boyle is an upgrade at 3rd/4th line centre and Stralman is an all around upgrade on our 3rd pairing who can play PP and PK. Wyi would the Rangers do it? They are more desperate then we are in that they know this is their window, Boyle has been healthy scratched (maybe it takes Belanger, and if so do it right now) and Stralman is their 5th dman with some solid kids waiting for icetime.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

ST’s problem… he’s “one-at-a-timing!”

4. danny says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    ST’s problem… he’s “one-at-a-timing!”

I think the Pappy O’Daniel in this here outfit is Kevin Lowe.

MacT is fixin’ to find his wifes ring in a durn big lake…

and them damn sireens loved Tambellini up and turned him into a horny toad.

5. raventalon40 says:

danny: I think the Pappy O’Daniel in this here outfit is Kevin Lowe.

MacT is fixin’ to find his wifes ring in a durn big lake…

and them damn sireens loved Tambellini up and turned him into a horny toad.

I thought Kevin Lowe was a great GM. Steve Tambellini is obviously in charge of this ship, IMO, because his GM style is markedly different. Nobody is pulling his strings.

I can’t but help feeling there is a plan at the deadline, because with Ralph being such a respected man, I’m sure if they absolutely felt they couldn’t fill the holes with pegs inside the organization they would look outside like they did with Fistric.

Just agonizing! (the wait)

6. raventalon40 says:

I wonder if Yanic Perreault can be coerced into being our new faceoff coach. All he has to do all day is teach our C’s to take faceoffs. Hell, they could just line up against him until they win over 50% in one practice. That would be intense.

7. Ribs says:

DBO: all around upgrade on our 3rd pairing who can play PP and PK. Wyi would the Rangers do it? They are more desperate then we are in that they know this is their window…

Sather’s window NEVER closes! HahahHHAahh!! http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/Ribs7/satherfrenzy.gif

8. Bruce McCurdy says:

How about MacT as a special consultant on the art of the faceoff?

9. Romulus Apotheosis says:

danny,

KL: Election held tomorrow, that sumbitch Stokes would win in a walk!

ST: He’s the reform candidate, Daddy.

KL: Yeah? – A lot of people like that reform.

ST: Maybe we should get us some.

KL: I’ll reform you, you soft-headed son of a bitch.

How we gonna run reform? We’re the incumbent!

Is that the best you can come up with? Reform?!

10. DBO says:

Keaton Ellerby goes from FLA to LA for a 5th rd pick. Former 1st r solid physical and young Dman, who is 6’4 and mean. How in the fr#$% are we never in on these deals? We send a 3rd for a 5/6 dman.

11. In the Grease says:

DBO:

Was just about to post this exact sentiment…. A Strathmore, Alberta boy as well…. Very frustrating these types of deals seem to be out there, for a 5th(!), and the Oil are never in on the action – would at least shore up the depth – does no one call Tambellini? Does Tambellini not do his due diligence?

12. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Complete sidebar…

so was Holtby’s Playoff run last year as flukey as it looked at the time? He’s struggling something fierce this year.

BRADEN HOLTBY (games played in) 5 (starts) 4 (mins) 266 (gaa) 4.74 (w) 1(l) 4 (s%) .857

here’s his playoff run from last year:

(g) 14 (w) 7 (l) 7 (s%) .935 (GAA) 1.95

13. DBO says:

Lines changed up as per Oil twitter

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Harti-Nuge-Ebs
    Eager-Smyth-Petrell
    Yak-Belanger/VV-MPS

Vandevelde playing tomorrow, Belanger Sunday. And looks like it’ll be Whitney with either Fistric or Potter (they are rotating in with Whitney in practise)

14. Captain Obvious says:

Re: Ellerby and Loktionov

So these guys were just acquired for the same fifth round draft pick, which is the definition of freely available talent.

They are also, I think, clearly better than the bottom end of the roster the Oilers are currently employing. Add Ellerby and Loktionov to the Oilers and they are immediately better, and it would have cost them nothing.

Instead they do nothing and when they finally do something they will have to give up something of value in order to get “proven” talent.

The problem with the management culture of the NHL isn’t that they don’t understand hockey, it is that their understanding of hockey is filtered through mythologies that have no basis in reality. In this instance, the idea that NHL hockey is a species of a different kind than other professional hockey. I would say, by contrast, that there is no such thing as a proven NHL player, NHL players get worse (Whitney) and players outside the NHL can play in it (Loktionov). The teams that recognize this first are going to be the ones that succeed.

In the meantime the Oilers float in a sea of mediocrity depending upon their stars to carry them. Every team has stars. It’s not good enough if you can’t find a third line that can score.

15. wunderbar says:

Lander has a broken foot. Minimum 4 weeks. Per The Oilers Twitter.

16. Lucinius says:

Wow. I do not like those lines at all. Why ruin the second line when its the only actual line producing (12 goals from members of that line to a combined 11 for the rest of the team). Secondly, not a fan of breaking of MPS and Harski. They work very well together. Dropping Yak to that fourth line? Ugh.

I’d go with, under the assumption of breaking up that first line and creating that top line to face power vs power;
    Gagner — Hall — Hemsky
    RNH — Yakupov — Eberle
    Smyth — Eager — Petrell
    Belanger/VV — Harski — MPS

Fourth line is the third line once Belanger is back (in terms of ice time). I can understand breaking up that first line, to both mix things up and to create that top line to go power versus power. Dropping Yak to fourth line makes zero sense to me given he’s one of the few offensive threats we have that is actually getting points; put him with RNH and Eberle.

17. Lucinius says:

wunderbar:
    Lander has a broken foot. Minimum 4 weeks.Per The Oilers Twitter.

And sadly, he was actually looking better this year and not the black hole of doom he was last season. Tough break for him.

18. bookjLe says:

I like that RK let the lines run for a while before making a change. I always thought that lines should have at least 3-4 games together before bringing out the blender.

Looks like Yak is getting a bit of a rest on the third line. I would bet he sees PP time.

19. DBO says:

Lucinius,

Not sure about them either, but I’m sure Harti up is about size in top 6, and with Yak on the 4th, if they get 10 mins of EV ice then he will play against the dregs of other teams, so hopefully it is a huge matchup problem for the other teams. Make them play us, not us respond to them. And I would expect that Yak moves up if needed, taking Hartikainen’s spot if a goal is needed, or if he isn’t working out.

20. BlacqueJacque says:

Anyone else have an unreasoning hatred of that movie? I’ve tried to watch it three times and each time I thought it was bad :/

Anyway, LT, what’s up with yesterday’s post? Not like you to dust off the panic button, especially given how much luck (or the lack thereof) has been a factor this season. I can really see the case against Hordichuk, but then I think of the late hits Bissonnette made on Schultz the Younger.

21. Gret99zky says:

Keaton Ellerby to the Kings for a 5th?

I don’t understand this management group. Probably never will.

Oilchange was right. They were done after Schultz fell from the sky.

22. loilfan says:

When will this team be bonafied?

23. Ribs says:

Romulus Apotheosis: any ideas? which sample size is a better indicator? why are goalies so freakish? what does it all mean?

I believe the term we use around here is “voodoo” when it comes to goalies.

24. raventalon40 says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    How about MacT as a special consultant on the art of the faceoff?

I’m all for that.

Bohologo: Wow! That is a bold statement. I thought the first Pronger trade was indeed great. The second Pronger trade was far less so. Is that a fair characterization? The Mike Comrie fiasco (not the initial signing, but the trade demand with the Ducks deal falling through over money, and who needs Corey Perry) was also less than great. The Smyth trade was also not necessarily great.

Lest you think I’m cherry picking, Lowe as a GM did have some good moments, but wouldn’t it be more reasonable to assess his track record as inconsistent?

No I don’t think you’re out to lunch at all. Lowe might have been inconsistent and an emotionally charged GM, but he was still very, very good at what he did. He negotiated that Corey Perry deal, it only fell through because he was belligerent about the money. The Smyth trade still hurts too, even though he’s back with us now, just to think of all those productive years of his that we lost. I guess we got some high picks out of it… but once again emotion was the problem there – not competence.

Just because the first Pronger deal was a steal for Edmonton doesn’t mean that the second deal was any less than what it was. In hindsight we might say we could’ve done better in that trade, but Lowe was handcuffed by Pronger’s trade request and considering that situation, I don’t think he did bad at all getting Smid who was a highly touted prospect at the time. Plus, that second Pronger deal has been the template by which defenseman of this type have been traded by ever since Lowe made it.

It’s hard to suggest that the second trade for Pronger was anything BUT close to the standard, even if we were the ones giving up the better player (which, as is often argued, are the losers of the trade by default).

Lucinius:

It’s true that our 2nd line is the only one producing but with the injuries we have I think the idea is that the best case scenario is to spread out the talent in such a way as to mitigate future bleeding on other lines.

25. raventalon40 says:

Bohologo: RT, I don’t want you think I’m picking on you here, but this is another bold statement. Is Tambellini obviously in charge? In a top heavy front office you’ve got MacTavish as a Sr. VP, and Lowe as President of Hockey operations. Lowe is positioned higher than Tambellini on this totem pole, which is the sort of stack rarely created in random fashion:

In fact, on the Oilers website it says here:
    “In recent years, Lowe has been assisting the strategic rebuild of one of the outstanding franchises in the League and was an integral part of the management and scouting team that selected Taylor Hall with Edmonton’s first ever number one overall draft pick in 2010, as well as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in 2011 and Nail Yakupov in 2012.”

It’s true that Tambellini is inarticulate and evinces a bumbling persona, which may be a brilliantly formulated poker face for the rest of the league, but I think he’s a guy who did high school on the back of the hockey bus and now these agents who are law school grads and finance jocks (to say nothing of the stats eaters out in the world) are running circles around him.

I’ve actually jumped around quite a bit with regards to this topic. There are months at a time when I’m convinced there is a Boys on the Bus bias leaning in the KLowe, MacT direction, and there are times when I feel ST looks like he has a sly plan.

I just don’t know sometimes.

I’m currently at the crest of the latter opinion. Look out valley, here I come!

26. Kris11 says:

DBO,

It also looks like Yak is getting sent the message that he needs to be good at both ends, consistently, to play in the top 9. I think he’s been great, but the rookie HUA plays have been IIRC occuring here and there.

27. Kris11 says:

Also, I kind of like the Yak-Belanger-MPS line (not so much when VV is at C) as a makeshift third line. (with the awkward Smyth lineas the 4th) It might rewuire Yak to be better than you can normally expect of a rookie, defensively, but not a bad line.

28. raventalon40 says:

Kris11:

Kind of agree. Not big on VV.

Yakupov and Paajarvi could be soft minute assassins together.

Both Fistric and Peckham(once in shape) are both likely better than Ellerby.

30. sliderule says:

OK it all makes sense to me.

You take your third highest scorer and move him to Belanger/vv triangle.Ice time now goes down under 10 minutes.

You have to show those young guys they have to pay their due.Never mind he was one of few that were actualy creating offense

31. Lucinius says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Complete sidebar…

BRADEN HOLTBY(games played in) 5(starts) 4(mins) 266(gaa) 4.74(w) 1(l) 4(s%) .857

here’s his playoff run from last year:

(g) 14(w) 7 (l) 7(s%).935(GAA) 1.95

First, let me just say that I was a goalie when I played hockey (and was good enough for consideration for a full ride to University, but injuries and off-ice.. activities killed that possibility) to give some idea of where I’m coming from on this reply.

By and large prior examples are meaningless for goaltenders, once a certain level of play is reached. By which I mean it can be nearly impossible to really pencil in a goaltender for a certain level of play. Naturally its not quite that simple, but, in short…

The more ‘technically sound’ a goaltender is, with regards to positioning and form the less drastic a swing you’ll see in a goaltender’s stats from year to year. But you also have to bring into consideration fitness, flexibility, reaction time and the ability to do near instantaneous judgment calls based on odds and probability.

Also, momentum and stakes can be massive for a goaltender as the position, once you’re within a certain level of play skill-wise, is primarily a combination of mentality and instinct. One can easily end up feeding or under-mining the other based on the context of the game, series or season.

The hardest part of goaltending, however, is in being able to predict what your forwards and defensemen are going to do. Poor defensive zone play can be largely negated by a goaltender if he’s properly amped up and anticipating that bad play — but its incredibly fatiguing and nerve-wracking as you basically exist on a hair trigger every single time the puck is on your side of center.

But, as for the actual question…

Sample size is fairly irrelevant for goaltenders. You can be Hasek at his best in one game and Carey at his worst the next. Holtby has a lot of positives in his game, from what I’ve seen (and the goaltending stable Washington has iced in the last four, five years is one I’ve watched very closely). For a chaos goalie he actually has a lot of sound fundamentals, but he has some severe mental flaws to his game that being under extreme pressure and/or high stakes actually helps eliminate. To a degree he will likely always be a good playoff goalie and average or worse goalie in the regular season in Washington. He’d be a goaltender that would thrive on a team with a much better defensive zone play as it would minimize the impact of his flaws in the regular season.

Its why I’m actually fairly high on Dubnyk. He has far more positives to his game (and he always has) than negatives, and most of his negatives came in areas that one can work on. The mental and instinctive aspect of the game is where he’s actually been fairly strong. You can see it this year, even; a lot of the bad goals have come when he screwed up on the positioning or form.

In fact, I think his strongest area is in the ability to read his team for when a mistake is going to occur.

32. cabbiesmacker says:

While pontificating on ST here I’m just wondering if anyone’s heard anything about Glencross these days? Still in the league? Still got those dang unsustainable numbers?

Oiler management. Oxymoron?

33. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

The game speed still seems to catch Yak by surprise. By eye he appears used to his elite skating winning him more time. He also underestimates the ability of the opposing team to pick off passes and plug lanes.

Letting him play the other teams 4th could help him slow the game down and start to dominate.

I’m not a fan of splitting Harti and PRV but this lineup is thin. Harti has a chance to recover some pucks and create chaos for RNH and Eberle to find their groove, so there is some sense there.

34. crude says:

DBO:
    Lines changed up as per Oil twitter

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Harti-Nuge-Ebs
    Eager-Smyth-Petrell
    Yak-Belanger/VV-MPS

These makes sense to me in a lot of ways. Gags and Hemmer were clicking so put them with Hall and hopefully they have a wrecking crew. Harti has been coming alive so put him with the other two “wonderkids” and he can distract in front of the net, drawing d away from Nuge and Ebs while they decide who should shoot the puck. The 3rd… what can you do, everyone is hurt. Petrell has been good enough to earn his spot there – Eager better be at his best.

The fourth, well, it’s seems unfair to put Maggie down there since he has been showing signs of turning the corner, but his cheating for D might be good with Yak who leaves himself exposed a little too often. Hope it doesn’t stifle 91′s recent offensive gusto he was getting sniffs at least. What may typically appear as a demotion might be a sign of trust here.

It’ll be interesting to watch and I am going to fight the urge to demand RK switch back after the first goal against.

35. fuzzy muppet says:

sliderule,

i don’t like the line changes personally.

For whatever reason 56-91 seem to have some mojo together. Why split them up? And VDV had real nice chemistry with them in last season AHL playoffs. Then You’ve got a 19 year old kid that’s just starting to get it and put him with Belanger??

Let VDV play 4c for a few games. Keep the top 6 the same.

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lucinius,

Thanks for the insight.

the position is so hard to evaluate. It easily seems to foster the biggest swings between high and low performance in hockey.

I’ve gotten used to “good” or “bad” goalies up-ending expectations for a game or two… but Holtby was one of the big stories last year, coming out of no where almost and playing amazing. He played good enough for long enough that it looked like he bought himself a shot at being number 1. well… now that looks to be seriously in doubt.

it’s just weird. voodoo as Ribs put it.

37. sliderule says:

If RK wants to solve defensive deficiencies among the forwards he could start with Eberle who so far as I can see never back checks.He also isnt strong enough to be able to fight along the boards to get the puck out of his own end.I have rarely seen him mark a man and stop a shot
    Then we Gagner who is slow and when he does get back just gets to the area and not mark his man
    Hall is getting a lot better at back checking (see last game) and he gets puck out of his own end as he has got stronger.in his own end he like Gagner is in right spot but hasn’t learned how to mark a man.
    Most of this has gone on since they entered the NHL.They are getting better but it’s glacial.

38. Lucinius says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

The best way to look at goaltenders; one bad day away from the rubber room. They are crazy, unpredictable and should be avoided at all costs. But in all seriousness, goalies are crazy and you might as well just shrug your shoulders and go ‘we’ll see!’ in terms of evaluating them.

39. FPB94 says:

Goalies are crazy indeed; tough I believe JW did a stats sheet about goaltender performance variation (with the average performance and the standard deviation).

I think in terms of goaltending the best indicator is simply performing well over a season or 2, just like regular players.

Then again there’s always cases where some guys will rise and fall for no apparent reason, Brian Elliot used to be one of the worst goalies in the NHL then got Hitchcock’d, same with Pekka Rinne who got better NHL numbers than he ever had in the AHL.

Or guys who’ve crashed like Bryzgalov, Gerber etc.

On the Washington case I tought they traded their most proven guy (Varlamov) away, but they did so for a 1st IIRC, so no harm no foul. Now they have 2 very average goalies in Neuvirth and Holtby.

40. FrankenOil says:

41. Truth says:

What’s the line set at for games played until they shut down Nuge for surgery? I’m guessing it’s the 30 game mark. If the Oilers look like they have a legitimate shot to make a run he stays to the end, if not they put him under the knife in order to mitigate time lost next season.

No coincidence he took the extended break before the WJC and the required break last game, especially with the commentary from both OKC and Oiler teammates regarding Nuge’s shoulder issues. Oiler fans have seen this story too many times to believe he will just get better by rest.

Hall played with the bummed shoulder for years after injuring it in Junior, no excuse to make that mistake with the Nuge.

42. RMGS says:

DBO:
    Lines changed up as per Oil twitter

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    Harti-Nuge-Ebs
    Eager-Smyth-Petrell
    Yak-Belanger/VV-MPS

These are decent road lines, especially against Detroit. I expect the “third” and “fourth” lines to get similar minutes and Yakupov to be on the second PP unit. The latter may also be slotted in Hartikainen’s spot as the game develops.

If it’s up to Krueger, Hordichuk’s on his way out, methinks.

43. Ribs says:

Krueger vs Renney: Round 1

Any idea what Renney is in charge of for the Wings?

44. cabbiesmacker says:

FrankenOil:

Especially when Brouwer is a RW

45. FrankenOil says:

And now Spector is going on confusing Tim Erixon with Jonas Brodin. He’s talking about how Erixon looked good playing alongside Klefbom at the WJHC last year. Erixon did look good last year…wwith the Connecticut Whale

46. Lucinius says:

Spector is an idiot. Has been for a long time now. He fits right in where he is now.

47. pboy says:

FrankenOil: I personally don’t have a problem with Yak on the 4th line. He’s still going to get his PP time which is where we need him right now and the fact is he is bleeding chances against at evens. Taking Harti off of a line with a MPS is hardly a demotion when you are put with RNH and Ebs so I don’t really have a quibble with that either. On another note, Listening to Spector (and boy am I losing respect for him by the second) and he proposed to Friedman that he’d trade Gagner straight up for Troy Brouwer RIGHT NOW. Spector’s reasoning is that he believes you need a Big C in your top 2 lines to win. That is such flawed logic becuase one only needs to go back to BOS with Bergeron and Kreijci to show that size down the middle isn’t required. I just get so frustrated that Gags has now become the second target (along with Whitney) to be targeted by the MSM to run out of town.

The only explanation I can think of, is that someone in the Gagner Family took a shit on Spector’s lawn at some point. Samwise isn’t a perfect player and I realize he won’t ever win the Mr Olympia title but he’s been producing points all season and he’s gotten better as a player every year he’s been in the league. Spector has been making up trades to get him out of Edmonton ever since the season started.

48. B S says:

I’m not listening to Spector but from what you guys are saying it’s reminding me of Strudwicks interview with Pierre McDouche last night. I think the worst part went something like:

Struds: so what do you think about Devan Dubnyk’s start to the season?
    Pepe: Oh I think he’s had some good and some bad moments, like any young goaltender it’s been a mix of ups and downs.

Idiot! The kids been money on an anemic team, but sure imply he’s been inconsistent because he’s “young”. If you haven’t watched Dubnyk play then just say so and comment on how his stats are impressive for the start of the year, or something. What an ass. Can I say ass on here?

I’ve started tuning out morons like Spector, Tencer, anyone on TSN except Aaron Ward, and even Stauffer at this stage.

49. FrankenOil says:

B S,

Yeah, starting Monday I’m going back to listening to music while I’m at work from 10am till Gergor starts at 2pm.

50. FrankenOil says:

Though, I should point out that Friedman was simply aghast that Spector would even propose a trade like that. I have to say I have a lot respect for Friedman. GUy is really plugged in and really seems to take a measured approach when making judgements.

51. commonfan14 says:

Ribs: Any idea what Renney is in charge of for the Wings?

Feeding them intel on Omark.

52. Ribs says:

commonfan14,

“Linus is a good man….”

53. commonfan14 says:

B S: Idiot! The kids been money on an anemic team, but sure imply he’s been inconsistent because he’s “young”.

I’d like to know what kind of odds he’d have to get before Woodguy would consider putting a “unit” down on Dubnyk to get the #3 job for Sochi.

If he keeps up this pace and they keep his loyal Hockey Canada service in mind…

54. remlap says:

On the topic of Spector being an idiot.. At least you Edmonton guys don’t have to deal with Calgary sports radio.

Peter Loubardias: Idiot and a terrible homer. Peter Maher: Senile and a terrible homer.

55. Captain Obvious says:

The NHL media is shockingly ignorant on hockey. Right now they are talking about Ovechkin’s trade value.

Under the new cap and at his established level of performance Ovechkin’s contract has negative value. I wouldn’t trade a seventh round pick form him and any GM who would should be fired immediately.

The guy everyone remembers is gone and isn’t coming back. Top end scorers peak early.

As for trading Gagner for Brouwer that is, of course, an absurd trade. I would really like to get Gregor or Spector or one of these guys who espouse the mystical value of size, in a classroom and subject them to some Socratic questioning to find out what they mean? I suspect what we would find out is that they have no idea themselves because they are using words that don’t refer to things.

56. B S says:

commonfan14,

I see Price ahead of him on the depth chart for sure, then probably Cam Ward. After that I think it comes down to DD or the Choke. Luongo has a terrible tendency to be inconsistent in big games, making him a serious liability in an elimination tournament like the Olympics. He was terrible at the last Olympics, but was put in net at the same time Babchuck called out all those primadonnas on the Team Canada and so he benefited from excellent play in front of him. M. A. Fleury would be fifth on my depth chart. He can be good, but he needs to get it together before any serious consideration.

Dubnyk is a great fall back for a big tournament. Teams don’t have time to dissect his weaknesses (glove hand, which has actually looked pretty good this season, tracks wide sometimes). And he is level-headed regardless of pressure so far in his career (something that can’t be said of Luongo). He might not steal you a game, but for team Canada they just need to be sure he won’t lose them one.

57. FPB94 says:

Captain Obvious:
    The NHL media is shockingly ignorant on hockey.Right now they are talking about Ovechkin’s trade value.

Under the new cap and at his established level of performance Ovechkin’s contract has negative value.I wouldn’t trade a seventh round pick form him and any GM who would should be fired immediately.

The guy everyone remembers is gone and isn’t coming back.Top end scorers peak early.

As for trading Gagner for Brouwer that is, of course, an absurd trade.I would really like to get Gregor or Spector or one of these guys who espouse the mystical value of size, in a classroom and subject them to some Socratic questioning to find out what they mean?I suspect what we would find out is that they have no idea themselves because they are using words that don’t refer to things.

You’re the one who’s terribly ignorant.

He’s 3rd in the league in shots and shooting 6%. If you Adjust to his life shooting percentage (12%) his line looks like this:

11 GP 6-4-10 . Not that terrible.

58. B S says:

FrankenOil,

59. Doug McLachlan says:

B S: FrankenOil, I don’t mind Friedmann. He at least tends to provide reasoning for his analysis beyond “he’s russian” or “he’s too small” and understands that his word isn’t biblical in hockey. I can respect an analyst who understands his limitations and makes it clear what his assumptions are when he discusses a topic.

Agreed. 30 Thoughts is required reading.

60. Zipdot says:

What the heck? The Journal has something up about the Top 20 current NHL Faceoff Men. Logan Couture is in there with over 60%. Why can’t OUR rookies be good at faceoffs? I always assumed youngsters just sucked at them, but stringbean Logan Couture is a genius? What gives??

61. Gerta Rauss says:

Zipdot,

I think Hall is at 60% for this season…:)

62. Captain Obvious says:

FPB94,

FPB94,

You conveniently left out the nine million a year for the next seven years he is owed. That’s an albatross contract. It will be hard to keep the core together as it is. A declining Ovechkin would make it impossible.

63. Matt.N says:

If I were in GMGMs shoes, I would entertain the thought of using the buyout on Ovechkins contract.

64. Captain Obvious says:

Matt.N,

Matt.N,

Or you could find a moron like Gregor and trade Ovechkin for Hemsky, Paajarvi,Klefbom, plus. Seriously. And Gregor is the best. Of the bunch. These people aren’t smart enough to pass 100 level university courses and we listen to them for their analysis.

65. In the Grease says:

Re: New Lines

Not sure if someone made note of it, already, but the way the lines are listed, Yakupov is actually on right wing, with Paarjarvi back on the left side- perhaps Kreuger has seen what has been picked up on here – Yak’s instincts keep taking him to the right side – and rather than interpreting it is a demotion, might be a way to see if he can captalize on the player being more comfortable there and spread the offence?

Accodingly , I think this is how it rolls out:

Hall – Gagner – Hemsky
    Harti – Nuge – Eberle
    MPS – VV / Belanger – Yakupov
    Eager – Smyth – Petrell

I guess I find the shuffle less disturbing in this context…. lol.
    Here goes nuthin’ ….

66. Ice Sage says:

B S:
    commonfan14,

Cory Crawford, Mike Smith… all in the same boat as Dubey – emerging starters with periods of brilliance.
    Price is clear #1 but Ward and Fleury have been fairly ok since their cup wins.
    All depends on who’s going well and whether experience is considered useful – if so Luongo gets the Brodeur role

67. stevezie says:

FPB94,

I don’t think anyone (other than maybe Strudwick) is arguing that Ovechkin is bad, the question is whether or not he is worth the cap hit. Even if his production rebounds to what is was this is debatable- and I don’t see it rebounding to what it was.

You’re right though, Ovechkin is still good, and maybe really good. I wouldn’t want his contract, but anyone with his ceiling holds a lot of attraction to a gambler. GMs don’t want to be good, or to make reasoned, productive decisions, they want to win. The want to win big. Ovechkin is a much, much better bet than Scott Gomez was and Montreal not only traded for him they gave Ryan Mcdonagh. If Ovechkin goes on the market someone will trade for him.

It shouldn’t be Edmonton though, we have no reason to be desperate or short-sighted.