The long road back to respectability continues tomorrow in Motown for your Edmonton Oilers. The club sits in a playoff spot this morning, and if the season ended today Edmonton would face Chicago–a team they’ve had success against in the past.
After 10 games, and with 38 to play–Edmonton is two weeks from everywhere. By Feb 22, this team could be in 4th or they could be in 12th, or they could be right where they are now.
I don’t think Oiler fans can be disappointed with the effort and result so far, and if the shooting percentage Gods decide to play fair then the next 5 game run should result in more than 6 points.
Pomade Vendor: I can get the part from Bristol. It’ll take two weeks, here’s your pomade.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Two weeks? That don’t do me no good.
Pomade Vendor: Nearest Ford auto man’s Bristol.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Hold on, I don’t want this pomade. I want Dapper Dan.
Pomade Vendor: I don’t carry Dapper Dan, I carry Fop.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, I don’t want Fop, goddamn it! I’m a Dapper Dan man!
Pomade Vendor: Watch your language, young feller, this is a public market. Now if you want Dapper Dan, I can order it for you, have it in a couple of weeks.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, ain’t this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!
A few things:
- Nuge is ready to go based on reports, and Eager is likely to draw in as well tomorrow over Hordichuk. Lander’s spot may go to Chris VandeVelde, although Tanner House is a similar player type.
- I wonder if Fistric-Potter plays both games this weekend, giving Whitney a rest. If Whitney does play, then “showcase” might be a possibility.
- It is galling to know the Oilers are going to insert Khabibulin into a game–probably this weekend–without benefit of receiving live ammo in previous rehab games.
- A couple of new toys on the Al Gore–hat tip to Woodguy for pointing them out–player usage charts help look inside coaching strategy using the Sledgehammer method we talked about in the spring. Vollman is a genius, Desjardins too. The fact that this information is provided free of charge on the internet tells you about those two men as people.
- Left Wing Lock has the line matching toy up and rolling, very interesting and insightful.
- All we’re missing now is Dennis King scoring chances for specific players, suspect that’ll roll soon. Early indications are that this team is improved in the discipline.
I’m still giddy we have a season at all, and the possibility of a trade deadline where the Oilers acquire talent is a beautiful dream. Will it happen?
Two weeks from everywhere.